{}{}{}***{}{}{}| Official Premed Application Thread for INTERNATIONAL Students |{}{}{}**{}{}{}

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Narmerguy

Moderator Emeritus
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
In response to suggestions from our members, we will be creating this stickied thread for international student applicants. We will try this option out for a while, and depending on the activity and helpfulness of the thread, we will possibly adjust to other options in the future.

This thread is for all discussions related to premedical students seeking admissions to US medical schools. This is not for discussion of students looking for international experiences or for applications to non-US medical schools.

Because there is not a lot of information currently to guide international students through the ultra-competitive admissions process, I've done a search of previous threads that were useful for international students. Please do not bump these threads, but do use them as a resource to augment the information collected in this thread.

Future discussions of applications by international students should be made in this thread.

Past threads:
<2013> INTERNATIONAL STUDENTS Applicant Thread!!!!
<2013> International students: Why study in the USA?
<2012> Anyway to get past this international status!?!?
<2011> Bf is International, Please help! : (
<2011> International Students who have made it to US Medical Schools
<2010> Advice/insights for international student applying US MD school
<2008> International in despair
<2008> Any non-immigrant international applicants out there?
<2006> International Applicants
<2006> Any international students (F-1 visa) applying to med school in the US?
<2005> Med schools that accept international students
<2005> Internationals
<2005> International Students in med school
<2003> International pre-meds?
<2003> For all you depressed international students
<2002> International Students
<2002> International students?

If you'd like something to be added to the main thread, please just PM me :)

May the odds be ever in your favor!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 5 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks @Narmerguy for creating the thread. Just a note to future international applicants that I am a Canadian citizen who will be attending a US medical school this fall. Feel free to ask me any questions. I am sure that @Amygdarya, @U Wot M8, @GingerGirl27 @YamNMangos and others would love to help as well.

Reactions: 7 users
Thanks @Narmerguy for creating the thread. Just a note to future international applicants that I am a Canadian citizen who will be attending a US medical school this fall. Feel free to ask me any questions. I am sure that @Amygdarya, @U Wot M8, @GingerGirl27 @YamNMangos and others would love to help as well.
Happy to answer any questions. I'm a nonCanadian international although I did my undergrad and grad school in the US. I'll also be starting med school this Fall.

Reactions: 6 users
Thanks for creating the thread @Narmerguy ! Hopefully it'll be useful for foreign applicants to US MD schools. And thanks for tagging me @hopefulMD12 , I'll be participating. I'm a non-Canadian green card holder with a non-Canadian undergraduate and US graduate degrees starting at a US medical school this August.

A few thoughts to start the discussion rolling:

The 2 most common problems foreign applicants to US medical schools have are foreign education (i.e. lack of US Bachelor's) and lack of green card/US citizenship. The former is arguably a better problem than the letter because it's easier to fix - or at least you're in control of the process and the timeline.
If you don't have US Bachelor's degree, you should be aware that the vast majority of US medical schools require at least 30 credit hours taken at accredited US undergraduate schools, including prereqs. Some schools (notably TX state schools aka TMDSAS schools) require at least 90 credits, and a minority require US Bachelor's degree (Mayo comes to mind, but there are a few others). You should check the requirements for each school you're interested in applying to; school website is a good place to start, you can also contact the school by email etc.
It is of note that, as a rule, US MD schools (I don't know anything about DO schools) require undergraduate, not graduate credits. Having US graduate degree/credits does help, but at most schools they don't substitute for undergraduate credits. Again, check with individual schools.
Now, there have been foreign individuals who got accepted to US without taking classes in the US, but they are a huge exception and are outstanding applicants in some ways (not in terms of stats, mind you, more like first author paper in Nature and such).

If you don't have a green card/US citizenship, you can still get into US medical schools, but you'll face a number of difficulties: not only will it be more difficult to get accepted (as a rule, accepted foreign applicants have higher stats and at least comparable ECs to accepted American applicants), but once you get accepted you won't be eligible for need based financial aid (i.e. you'll have to pay full price using private loans, unless you/your family are wealthy, which is another can of worms), and, if you're planning on getting into a US residency after school, applying to residencies as a foreigner - even with US medical degree - is another uphill battle (to make a long story short, it's just easier for residency programs to hire US residents/citizens rather than deal with the visa headache). Now, again, it is possible to get accepted without a green card/US citizenship, but it's a lo harder.

To sum up, if you have any if the above problems, it's in your best interestest to fix them. And if you don't have any of them - I.e. if you have a green card/US citizenship and a US undergraduate degree, for the purpose of medical school admissions you're as good as any red blooded American and this thread is not for you :)

Some other thoughts:

It's much better to be a Canadian than any other foreign national because US medical schools are more open to them, some will even accept their undergraduate credits/degrees in lieu of the American ones. Schools in the North (think Ohio, Michigan, New York) are most welcoming to Canadians. Some schools only accept Canadians and not other foreigners - again, check with individual schools.

As a rule, private schools and top private schools in particular (Yale and Cornell come to mind) are more flexible overall and more open to foreign students, but you need to be a strong applicant to get into them.

Last edited:
Reactions: 5 users
How much of a challenge is it to get into residency programs as a Canadian if I go to an American med school? Will I for sure not be able to get into anything competitive?

Happy to answer any questions. I'm a nonCanadian international although I did my undergrad and grad school in the US. I'll also be starting med school this Fall.
Hi GingerGirl! Do you mind sharing your stats? What aspect of your application do you think is the most important thing that get you into medschool? :):)

How much of a challenge is it to get into residency programs as a Canadian if I go to an American med school? Will I for sure not be able to get into anything competitive?

No, you will have a solid shot at competitive specialties. I have talked to two international students who did their MD at US medical schools. They both matched into urology, which has pretty dismal match numbers (aka. it is a competitive specialty). Also, many medical schools (such as UCLA and many others) which are not very open to international MD applicants are more open to international residency applicants as long as you did your MD in the US. Remember that if you do your MD in the US, you are not considered an International Medical Grad (IMG). IMGs have it the toughest.

Also happy to help. Canadian student, accepted to NYU with deferral (will be in class of 2019). MDApps: http://mdapplicants.com/profile.php?view=viewprofile.demographics&id=27356&cycle=16086

Also, I think to some degree the difficulty/bias of getting in for international students is overstated a bit. International students are definitely at a disadvantage in that the schools they can apply to are limited to private schools which are more competitive (hence the higher GPA and MCAT averages among matriculated international students). However, among these schools that do accept international students I don't think international students are held to a higher standard (given that they have taken coursework in the US).

Reactions: 1 user
Just to provide an opinion in contrast to that of @GingerGirl27 , I think that intl students are slightly disadvantaged, depending on the school they are coming from. I agree that we are not consciously held to a higher standard, but I do think that adcoms are less likely to recognize our schools. So when they see a GPA from American school A vs intl school B, they know what the GPA from A means in terms of quality, but the same cannot be said for school B. This is not a problem if the GPAs are the same. For example, when comparing a student from Queen's University (Canada) and a student from Harvard both with 3.8 GPAs, there is nothing difficult to be deciphered. On the other hand, how do you compare a Queen's student with a 3.9 GPA with a Harvard student that achieved a 3.5 GPA. My guess is that the Harvard student will be preferred, just because their school is recognized as high quality and Queen's may not be recognized at all.

To what degree this holds, I do not know. Also, as I mentioned, the intl school from which you are coming might matter. For example, the University of Toronto and McGill are well-known Canadian schools that may not experience this same disadvantage.

Just a completely uneducated guess from me.

Members don't see this ad :)
Just to provide an opinion in contrast to that of @GingerGirl27 , I think that intl students are slightly disadvantaged, depending on the school they are coming from. I agree that we are not consciously held to a higher standard, but I do think that adcoms are less likely to recognize our schools. So when they see a GPA from American school A vs intl school B, they know what the GPA from A means in terms of quality, but the same cannot be said for school B. This is not a problem if the GPAs are the same. For example, when comparing a student from Queen's University (Canada) and a student from Harvard both with 3.8 GPAs, there is nothing difficult to be deciphered. On the other hand, how do you compare a Queen's student with a 3.9 GPA with a Harvard student that achieved a 3.5 GPA. My guess is that the Harvard student will be preferred, just because their school is recognized as high quality and Queen's may not be recognized at all.

To what degree this holds, I do not know. Also, as I mentioned, the intl school from which you are coming might matter. For example, the University of Toronto and McGill are well-known Canadian schools that may not experience this same disadvantage.

Just a completely uneducated guess from me.
I definitely agree with you here. if your undergrad was done outside of the US I do think you'll be at a disadvantage there. most schools even require you take US coursework. I should have specified more on my statement that I was referring to international students who had done undergrad in the US.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

I definitely agree with you here. if your undergrad was done outside of the US I do think you'll be at a disadvantage there. most schools even require you take US coursework. I should have specified more on my statement that I was referring to international students who had done undergrad in the US.

Ah, yes. Agreed.

Also, I think to some degree the difficulty/bias of getting in for international students is overstated a bit. International students are definitely at a disadvantage in that the schools they can apply to are limited to private schools which are more competitive (hence the higher GPA and MCAT averages among matriculated international students). However, among these schools that do accept international students I don't think international students are held to a higher standard (given that they have taken coursework in the US).

I do have to disagree from my own personal experience. I won't name the school, but one interviewer indirectly implied that even though I was "exceptional in every single way," I would likely get waitlisted because of my international status. Keep in mind that I did my undergrad at a US top 20 school and graduated with a 4.0 GPA. Many schools, even those that accept international students, see it as an unnecessary burden because there is more paperwork, more confusion in terms of residency opportunities and more uncertainty as to whether the student will stay in the States. Also, the stats back up my point. Even at top privates that accept international students, the acceptance rate for international students is lower than that of domestic students. University of Chicago is an example of this. They accepted like 0-2 international students out of hundreds of applicants. But it could well be that they are a bit more understanding of internationals who do their undergrad in the US. I don't have those stats.

I do have to disagree from my own personal experience. I won't name the school, but one interviewer indirectly implied that even though I was "exceptional in every single way," I would likely get waitlisted because of my international status. Keep in mind that I did my undergrad at a US top 20 school and graduated with a 4.0 GPA. Many schools, even those that accept international students, see it as an unnecessary burden because there is more paperwork, more confusion in terms of residency opportunities and more uncertainty as to whether the student will stay in the States. Also, the stats back up my point. Even at top privates that accept international students, the acceptance rate for international students is lower than that of domestic students. University of Chicago is an example of this. They accepted like 0-2 international students out of hundreds of applicants. But it could well be that they are a bit more understanding of internationals who do their undergrad in the US. I don't have those stats.

Interesting. My theory accounts for the stats, but not your experience. I see your point re: burden of accepting intls, though.

Interesting. My theory accounts for the stats, but not your experience. I see your point re: burden of accepting intls, though.

I think it just depends on the school. How they deal with internationals will be dependent on their internal policies, the biases and experiences of the adcoms etc.

On a happier note, I see that you'll be attending NYU! Congrats! I myself will only be a short subway ride away! Also, I have so many friends who attend Queens and love it. If I were to stay in Canada for undergrad, I would've probably gone to Queens.

I can definitely see why you'd disagree with me then. It could be a real bias at some schools/ among some interviewers or adcom members. My experience was entirely different as were the few other internationals I know who went to medical school. The only school I interviewed at that seemed to care about my international status was a state school I interviewed at (and maybe one other school i was rejected from now that I think about it).

As for the low acceptance rate I don't think it can be explained fully by a bias. I think it was LizzyM who mentioned that low English language proficiency at interviews could be a problem. As well as the whole problem of foreign coursework and degrees. Without taking these things about applicants into consideration, I think we overstate the bias against international students a bit.

Last edited by a moderator:
Finally a stickied thread for international students! Does anybody know if graduating from a US med school gives us a better chance at competitive specialties than IMG?

Finally a stickied thread for international students! Does anybody know if graduating from a US med school gives us a better chance at competitive specialties than IMG?
This is something I've wondered about also. There will be a lot of residencies that will not accept us because of our VISA status. But I would hope we'd have a better chance than IMGs because we went to a US school but I really don't know.

I think it just depends on the school. How they deal with internationals will be dependent on their internal policies, the biases and experiences of the adcoms etc.

On a happier note, I see that you'll be attending NYU! Congrats! I myself will only be a short subway ride away! Also, I have so many friends who attend Queens and love it. If I were to stay in Canada for undergrad, I would've probably gone to Queens.

Thanks! Queen's was a very fun school.

This is something I've wondered about also. There will be a lot of residencies that will not accept us because of our VISA status. But I would hope we'd have a better chance than IMGs because we went to a US school but I really don't know.

Yes this is almost certainly the case - residency programs in the US heavily favor students who come from US medical schools. However, the challenge from what I hear is not getting into a residency program (which will be a difficult road for anyone regardless), but what type of visa you are offered. The coveted and preferred one is the H1B visa, since that allows you to work in the US after residency, unlike the J1 visa (which is given out much more easily). However, the H1B is a huge hassle - schools have to go through a much more rigorous process on your behalf, and as such, a lot of schools are unwilling to spend so much time and money when they can easily take a domestic medical graduate. Just be wary of this once you get into the residency matching process :).

Thanks @hopefulMD12 for tagging me on this thread and @Narmerguy for creating it. Be happy to help with any questions!

^AFAIK, it is almost impossible to get an H1B visa as a foreign IMG, because you need to have completed Step 3 BEFORE starting residency. It is therefore much easier to get one as an IMG studying in the USA, because you can do your first year of residency on the OPT of your student visa.

Hello all,
I have just finished my 2nd year of Pre-Medical studies at Wayne State University, in Detroit, Michigan. However, I am a commuting Canadian student living on the Canadian side of the Windsor-Detroit border, and I have only recently opened my eyes to the intricacies of med school applications which soon will be upon me.

Firstly, I really want to get my head screwed on straight and get to the cold hard facts. If and when I start applying to U.S. med schools, will I be at a tremendous disadvantage? I understand that I will be considered an international student, but is there any way around this? Or will I automatically be placed in that pool even though I am a Windsorite from Ontario.

Also, if you were in my position, what would you do? Canadian med schools are extremely competitive to get into, and I am not even sure if I am also considered at a disadvantage graduating from a U.S. institution. Does the fact that I will graduate from Wayne State hinder my chances at applying to Canadian med schools, even though I AM Canadian? So many questions, and I am not sure where to turn!

Again, what would you do in my position? Is there anyone out there in the same boat?

I start applying to U.S. med schools, will I be at a tremendous disadvantage?

You will be at a disadvantage, but not tremendously.

I understand that I will be considered an international student, but is there any way around this?

Only way out would be getting a green card, but unless you are already in the process it's almost impossible as a student since you are living in Canada.

Also, if you were in my position, what would you do? Canadian med schools are extremely competitive to get into, and I am not even sure if I am also considered at a disadvantage graduating from a U.S. institution. Does the fact that I will graduate from Wayne State hinder my chances at applying to Canadian med schools, even though I AM Canadian? So many questions, and I am not sure where to turn!

I would apply to both Canadian and US schools. There are still many schools that are willing to accept international students that you can for sure apply. Having both options is also not a bad thing. Not sure about other people's experiences, but I have noticed a disadvantage wanting to go back to Canada for medical school education. I didn't even get an interview at UBC even though I had provincial status (BC residence), even though I got interviews and acceptances from many top tier schools in the US. Not sure if the disadvantage is there for Ontario residents applying to Ontario schools. Probably not what you wanted to hear, but this is from my experience.

You will be at a disadvantage, but not tremendously.

Only way out would be getting a green card, but unless you are already in the process it's almost impossible as a student since you are living in Canada.

I would apply to both Canadian and US schools. There are still many schools that are willing to accept international students that you can for sure apply. Having both options is also not a bad thing. Not sure about other people's experiences, but I have noticed a disadvantage wanting to go back to Canada for medical school education. I didn't even get an interview at UBC even though I had provincial status (BC residence), even though I got interviews and acceptances from many top tier schools in the US. Not sure if the disadvantage is there for Ontario residents applying to Ontario schools. Probably not what you wanted to hear, but this is from my experience.

Are you also a Canadian that went to the U.S. for undergrad?

Hello fellow AOS applicants (the few that might be here),

Are you guys planning to email/contact the schools and further explain your situation as AOS, particularly given that you did your high school + undergraduate studies in the US?

I mean while we don't technically have a green card, we're essentially just waiting in line to get one. I wonder how medical schools view this and whether explaining to them my situation would help.

advice?

Hello fellow AOS applicants (the few that might be here),

Are you guys planning to email/contact the schools and further explain your situation as AOS, particularly given that you did your high school + undergraduate studies in the US?

I mean while we don't technically have a green card, we're essentially just waiting in line to get one. I wonder how medical schools view this and whether explaining to them my situation would help.

advice?
Unless you are in the process, I would say "waiting in line" is a stretch. Technically speaking, you can be studying here your whole life and still are classified as alien.
Maybe you can explain it on secondaries. Most schools have "additional information" question that you can explain on.

Last edited:
Unless you are in the process, I would say "waiting in line" is a stretch. Technically speaking, you can be studying here your whole life and still are classified as alien.
Maybe you can explain it on secondaries. Most schools have "additional information" question that you can explain on.

By AOS i meant Adjustment of Status - it is technically "waiting in line".

Does anyone know if low tier MD/PhD programs are easier for international students to get in compared to MD programs??

Hmm, if anything they are HARDER, because internationals cannot get MSTP funding, so the funding has to come from the institution... very few schools offer that, and the ones that do are super competitive.

(To my knowledge at least... maybe someone will correct me.)

Hmm, if anything they are HARDER, because internationals cannot get MSTP funding, so the funding has to come from the institution... very few schools offer that, and the ones that do are super competitive.

(To my knowledge at least... maybe someone will correct me.)
MSTP is federally funded so generally you cannot apply without permanent resident status. Other MD/PhD programs are either state funded or private so they might accept int students.

Sent from my BNTV600 using Tapatalk

By AOS i meant Adjustment of Status - it is technically "waiting in line".
I dont think it can get you into the normal applicant pool, but might help increase your chance. Also you cannot change your status once the primary is submitted so if you do have residency during the admission process you have to contact schools to let them know.

Sent from my BNTV600 using Tapatalk

My application was just verified this morning!! finally first step! However my BCPM gpa was very low (3.62). Anyone would advice me to do a SMP program?

My application was just verified this morning!! finally first step! However my BCPM gpa was very low (3.62). Anyone would advice me to do a SMP program?
Congrats! The application process is a long and tiring one. Take it one step at a time and try not to stress out too much. Good luck!

I don't think you need to do an SMP. If you have a decent MCAT and cGPA and have applied to a wide range of schools (as wide as an international student can) I think you have a chance without the SMP but I am no expert on this. You may get more replies about the SMP in the What Are My Chances forum.

Congrats! The application process is a long and tiring one. Take it one step at a time and try not to stress out too much. Good luck!

I don't think you need to do an SMP. If you have a decent MCAT and cGPA and have applied to a wide range of schools (as wide as an international student can) I think you have a chance without the SMP but I am no expert on this. You may get more replies about the SMP in the What Are My Chances forum.

Thanks for your advice! My MCAT is decent (>35) but my cGPA is around the same as my BCPM GPA, which is why I 'm mostly concerned with my academic credentials... :(
And yes I applied very wide, almost including every school that take international students except for harvard stanford, yale lol.

BTW I read your MD app and it was really impressive!! Congrats again on your acceptance!!

Thanks for your advice! My MCAT is decent (>35) but my cGPA is around the same as my BCPM GPA, which is why I 'm mostly concerned with my academic credentials... :(
And yes I applied very wide, almost including every school that take international students except for harvard stanford, yale lol.

BTW I read your MD app and it was really impressive!! Congrats again on your acceptance!!
Thank you.

>35 is a great score (to me at least). I think you're good to go without the SMP!

Let me first start by saying thank you for this thread! A lot of great information is being passed around. I have a question for all of you Canadian (or international for that matter) citizens going to school in the US. I'm currently applying to medical schools in the US and I'm receiving my BA from a US school. I'm in the US on athletic scholarship and plan on taking a year off to pursue it professionally.

My sGPA is a 3.2 and cGPA is a 3.4 with an upward trend(semester wise). I originally planned on taking the MCAT in June but June/July are the when most professional tournaments are. I have rescheduled for August 1st, Primary app is going out tomorrow and I'm afraid by the time the school will get all my information I will already be passed on because of the international status. Did you all end up having to submit your information early cause of your international status? Did you find it made a difference?

Thanks

Let me first start by saying thank you for this thread! A lot of great information is being passed around. I have a question for all of you Canadian (or international for that matter) citizens going to school in the US. I'm currently applying to medical schools in the US and I'm receiving my BA from a US school. I'm in the US on athletic scholarship and plan on taking a year off to pursue it professionally.

My sGPA is a 3.2 and cGPA is a 3.4 with an upward trend(semester wise). I originally planned on taking the MCAT in June but June/July are the when most professional tournaments are. I have rescheduled for August 1st, Primary app is going out tomorrow and I'm afraid by the time the school will get all my information I will already be passed on because of the international status. Did you all end up having to submit your information early cause of your international status? Did you find it made a difference?

Thanks

I submitted my primary app as early as possible - there is not much you can do about it now. It's crucial for international students since we have such a large disadvantage to begin with. However, I'm more worried about your GPA - they're below what most schools expect, especially schools that accept Canadian applicants (or international ones in general). Your MCAT is also a bit rushed, and the score won't come out until a month later, which will further delay your application. Have you thought of applying a year later? (I'm assuming from your post that you will be going into your 4th year.) You said you plan to take a year off anyways - unless you will be too busy to apply during your year off? Applying a year late can definitely help, especially if in the last year you can get your GPA up a bit more (though at this point it won't change significantly.)

Thank you SO much for starting this thread, i've been mulling over this for ages, and have a couple of questions:
How competitive are med schools when it comes to international applicants? Would it be a handful out of a couple hundred that get in? I'm guessing any international student that applies is already a stellar candidate given the difficulty at each stage (acceptance, residency, fellowship, etc).
I'm also wondering if the international exposure might actually help in some cases. I grew up in Singapore, went to boarding school in Australia, then lived in Paris and New York during my undergrad yrs. I'm leaning strongly toward international EM and ID, and thought maybe incorporating my interest in medicine at a global level might achieve some general cohesion of some sort. Or does that not really matter in the face of visa practicalities? I'm especially worried about residencies :(

Thank you SO much for starting this thread, i've been mulling over this for ages, and have a couple of questions:
How competitive are med schools when it comes to international applicants? Would it be a handful out of a couple hundred that get in? I'm guessing any international student that applies is already a stellar candidate given the difficulty at each stage (acceptance, residency, fellowship, etc).
I'm also wondering if the international exposure might actually help in some cases. I grew up in Singapore, went to boarding school in Australia, then lived in Paris and New York during my undergrad yrs. I'm leaning strongly toward international EM and ID, and thought maybe incorporating my interest in medicine at a global level might achieve some general cohesion of some sort. Or does that not really matter in the face of visa practicalities? I'm especially worried about residencies :(

It is very competitive to get to med school, let alone international status. I don't think there are more than handful of international accepted students at any specific medical school. You might need to explain why you want to go to medical school in the US (instead of Singapore or Australia).

Thanks

Are you considering DO school as well? your stats are good for a DO school if you apply now and ace the MCAT.

And yes I think submitting early is very important.

Does anyone know about the international medical education program at George Washington?

Does anyone know about the international medical education program at George Washington?
I don't know much beyond the basics. Its a five year (Edit: apparently its a 4 year program now) program specifically for international students. You have to be sponsored by your home country government/health institute and commit to go back to practice there for some time but completed undergrad in the US. I don't know anyone who has done it though.

http://smhs.gwu.edu/imp/medical-pr...rs/undergraduate/international-md/admissions

This is my first time posting but I thought it was a good idea to finally ask what information you guys can give me about financial aid from Canada to attend an American University. I'm not really concerned too much with debt, I can live like a hermit for a while after school until I make it up! I just wanted to know if banks and such are less inclined to sponsor/loan me money to attend a school outside of Canada. Does anyone know about the military funding option? I would assume that would only be for Canadian schools huh?