{}{}{}***{}{}{}| Official Premed Application Thread for INTERNATIONAL Students |{}{}{}**{}{}{}

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I'd like to thank ya'll in advance for all the great advice!

It seems that no one as addressed this yet. If I am a Canadian student, living in Canada, and attending a nearby U.S. institution across the border (WSU), what if I choose to apply to Canadian med schools? Would I be at a disadvantage then? Or would I be in the normal pool of applicants?

Members don't see this ad.

It seems that no one as addressed this yet. If I am a Canadian student, living in Canada, and attending a nearby U.S. institution across the border (WSU), what if I choose to apply to Canadian med schools? Would I be at a disadvantage then? Or would I be in the normal pool of applicants?

It really is difficult to say because you seem to be in a unique situation. I know that SOMETIMES Canadian med schools may wonder if you will stay in Canada for your future practice or whether you will move to the US. US schools may have the same set of worries. On a side note, you could try to contact specific schools to ask how your app will be treated. Good luck!

Reactions: 1 user

You should be fine I had a friend of mine who was Canadian and did his undergrad in the States and he got into UBC, U Sask, U of M, U of T, Queen's, Western, Ottawa, and Dal and wait-listed at Calgary and Alberta .

Mind you he did have a 3.96 cGPA and a 39 14 11 14 MCAT.

I know a lot of Canadian school have hard cutoffs and that's what can make them a little tricky to get in but if you meet them you should be OK. You said that you were from Windsor so you probably have SWOMEN status so that puts you in a good spot for getting into Western as long as you meet the cutoffs.

Members don't see this ad :)
You guys still here? International applying this cycle. Still getting secondaries done, so I'm kinda late. Hoping for the best.

Had a question come up in another part of the forum but didn't get an answer. Was wondering if anyone had any insight into this...

Is the biggest hurdle/bottleneck for Canadian applicants attaining an II? What I mean is, will I be clumped into the pool of "suitable applicants" once invited or will I still be competing against other international applicants for a limited number of spots?

Had a question come up in another part of the forum but didn't get an answer. Was wondering if anyone had any insight into this...

Is the biggest hurdle/bottleneck for Canadian applicants attaining an II? What I mean is, will I be clumped into the pool of "suitable applicants" once invited or will I still be competing against other international applicants for a limited number of spots?

For most schools, you will be placed in the same pool as other international applicants. The hurdle can exist for both getting an II and acceptance, though this vary greatly by school. The MSAR helps in this regard.

Does anyone know what is the percentage of international applicants who get into medical school?

Does anyone know what is the percentage of international applicants who get into medical school?
Unfortunately this info isn't really out there. You can get numbers of applied and matriculated international students in some of those amcas data tables, but that's about it.

I got my undergraduate degree in Biochemistry/Microbiology from my home country Nigeria with a 3.99 GPA on a 5.0 scale. I intend moving over to the US in a few months to begin a masters program in a related field. My main worry is;

#will bagging a masters degree improve my chances?

#Do I still need to take all the pre reqs in a US school?

# Is taking the pre reqs the same a s post bacc programme?

#are there cgpas given in the post bacc programme, please if so will my cgpa from there be used instead of the one gotten from my bachelors In Nigeria?

#What will be your candid advise for some one in my situation, because I am deeply worried and utterly confused.... Thanks

deleted

Last edited:
How are my fellow Canadian pre-med doing?

Canadian applicant with secondaries completed end of September...really hoping that my late decision to apply to US schools isn't going make this a huge waste of money...:smack: any thoughts?

Same here! Except that I applied to 50 schools and haven't finished my last 15 secondaries or-so, and midterms are starting tomorrow.
What made you apply to US schools?

Members don't see this ad :)
Wow 50!! I only applied to 7....and they're mostly all reaches...
Impatience mostly (don't want to be the average Canadian applicant who applies 2-3 times before gaining admission) - I also read up on some really cool programs that I would almost even choose over a Canadian school if the admissions gods actually granted me some acceptances!

Alright guys, I could really use some help on my chances.
I'm Canadian, just finished B.Sc in the States
GPA: 3.87
MCAT: PS-12, VR-10, BS-11 (33)
Lots of ECs: Prez of 3 clubs, lots of club activities, tutoring for 2 years, working at a clinic for 3 years, Research for 1.5 years with 4 publications, lots of hospital volunteering, international volunteering in India for 2 months, a bunch of academic awards.

Applied to 6 American Schools: NYMC, St. Louis, Tufts, Penn State, SUNY upstate, Rosalind Franklin.

What are your thoughts?

Alright guys, I could really use some help on my chances.
I'm Canadian, just finished B.Sc in the States
GPA: 3.87
MCAT: PS-12, VR-10, BS-11 (33)
Lots of ECs: Prez of 3 clubs, lots of club activities, tutoring for 2 years, working at a clinic for 3 years, Research for 1.5 years with 4 publications, lots of hospital volunteering, international volunteering in India for 2 months, a bunch of academic awards.

Applied to 6 American Schools: NYMC, St. Louis, Tufts, Penn State, SUNY upstate, Rosalind Franklin.

What are your thoughts?

I think the only response warranted here is RELAX.

A little lat on the thread but

Im a M2 in the US, Canadian, did my undergrad and grad school in canada

Happy to answer questions

A little lat on the thread but

Im a M2 in the US, Canadian, did my undergrad and grad school in canada

Happy to answer questions

Hi! Did you apply to both Canadian/American medical schools? If yes, did you find it easier/the same/harder to gain acceptance to American schools?

I applied to both but do the the nature of my undergrad (which was odd and specialized) could only apply the 4 school in Canada (making the US easier). If I had a normal undergrad I would say it depends on the province

I applied to both but do the the nature of my undergrad (which was odd and specialized) could only apply the 4 school in Canada (making the US easier). If I had a normal undergrad I would say it depends on the province
Were you also accepted by a Canadian university? What are the reasons that you chose an American school over a Canadian one?

Were you also accepted by a Canadian university? What are the reasons that you chose an American school over a Canadian one?
I Interviewed at a few Canadian programs and made the wait list at my home school. I choose an american school cause I got in and didn't want to wait an extra year for my grad school grades to be counted back home. Plus it was the closest to home of the schools I applied to.

Also my mentors suggested that it didn't matter where I trained for med school (assuming it was a US or Canadian MD program).

Same here! Except that I applied to 50 schools and haven't finished my last 15 secondaries or-so, and midterms are starting tomorrow.
What made you apply to US schools?
Unless you have a green card, a lot of those apps were a waste of money for primaries and secondaries alike. There are no more than 25 realistic schools for Canadians, including reaches.

Unless you have a green card, a lot of those apps were a waste of money for primaries and secondaries alike. There are no more than 25 realistic schools for Canadians, including reaches.
No I don't agree. There are more than 25 private schools that do not discriminate people based on nationality. There are around 70 schools that identified on MSAR that they accept international students (Canadian).

No I don't agree. There are more than 25 private schools that do not discriminate people based on nationality. There are around 70 schools that identified on MSAR that they accept international students (Canadian).
I honestly hope you prove me wrong then :) That is just my opinion, based on the fact that many of those will gladly take your secondary fees, but have not historically(last 3-5 years) taken any internationals or scarcely even interviewed them.

I honestly hope you prove me wrong then :) That is just my opinion, based on the fact that many of those will gladly take your secondary fees, but have not historically(last 3-5 years) taken any internationals or scarcely even interviewed them.
Poor Canadians. We are left with Caribbean and Ireland schools for those audacious souls who are willing to risk the ultra-competitive match in four years.

I would have to agree there are more than 25 schools. I found that there was a significant subset of places that didn't take international students but did take Canadians. However It is a good idea to read the MSAR interview and acceptance stats (if they interview internationals its worth it in my opinion). Keep in mind that some years they just don't have international students, for instance My class has 2 while the two above me interviewed 15 and took none.

Also a good thing to keep in mind is the average canadian med students applied more 2+ times before getting in

removed

Last edited:
I have a general question about loans. I'm Canadian. How are you guys paying for medical school? My family contribution will not be very high and I'm currently in the application process with some acceptances and the money issue is eating at me

I have a general question about loans. I'm Canadian. How are you guys paying for medical school? My family contribution will not be very high and I'm currently in the application process with some acceptances and the money issue is eating at me

Your options are a combination of 1)Saved money + 2) Provincial loan + 3)Bank LOC(250-275k CDN). Hopefully the total of the 3 is enough for 4 years of COA, and with a bit extra for buffering residency.

Depending on what province your from, the provincial student loan may be smaller or larger. The Bank LOC is fairly standard across the board at 200-275K with cosigner, and prime interest rate.

Your options are a combination of 1)Saved money + 2) Provincial loan + 3)Bank LOC(250-275k CDN). Hopefully the total of the 3 is enough for 4 years of COA, and with a bit extra for buffering residency.

Depending on what province your from, the provincial student loan may be smaller or larger. The Bank LOC is fairly standard across the board at 200-275K with cosigner, and prime interest rate.

Just to add to UBC there are federal loans too (~10K a year), but for the most part its savings and bank loans/credit
Also there is the MD/PHD route (if your interested and that reduces tuition at many places)

Check with your schools some requires tuition up front but fees later others you can pay as you go.

Just to add to UBC there are federal loans too (~10K a year), but for the most part its savings and bank loans/credit
Also there is the MD/PHD route (if your interested and that reduces tuition at many places)

Check with your schools some requires tuition up front but fees later others you can pay as you go.

Can you elaborate on the federal loans? I have yet to find a link referencing them.... Could you please provide a link? I am only familiar with the provincial level loans, which are interest free until after completion of school/residency, and are generally 10-15k/yr for the 4 years.

Can you elaborate on the federal loans? I have yet to find a link referencing them.... Could you please provide a link? I am only familiar with the provincial level loans, which are interest free until after completion of school/residency, and are generally 10-15k/yr for the 4 years.

I can not provide you with the links since its built into the provincial loans websites and those are province specific. But there are loans that come from provincial sources and others from federal, each with different caps. If you are training outside of Canada most provinces will not fund you and thus the application to a provincial student loan is passed directly on to the federal program. The way the loan system works everything is still administered via the provincial student loan site since each province has their own rules and federal loans only kick in after.

I know when I looked at my loan stuff it broke it down to zero from the province and 9-10K from Ottawa

Ah, this post may seem like it belongs somewhere else. But does anyone know if it is safe to travel back home (i am international) from mid december to mid january? I am worried if I get any interview invites during that time. :bag:

Ah, this post may seem like it belongs somewhere else. But does anyone know if it is safe to travel back home (i am international) from mid december to mid january? I am worried if I get any interview invites during that time. :bag:
I wouldn't worry about it if you get an invite just schedule for wen your back and yo should be fine

I originally planned on taking the MCAT in June but June/July are the when most professional tournaments are. I have rescheduled for August 1st, Primary app is going out tomorrow and I'm afraid by the time the school will get all my information I will already be passed on because of the international status.
TNe5bT
What tournaments are you referring to ?

What would be my chances as a Canadian applicant to a US Medical School with a cGPA of ~3.88 (science is ~3.91) and MCAT of 33? My ECs are fairly solid with plenty of research (1 abstract and paper potentially), volunteering, leadership and diversity.

Any non-Canadian international pre-meds here?? :) I'm Czech!!

Btw, to see the list of US med schools that take internationals and for the ways to pay for med school as an international, check out my blog! (in my signature below) I am a successful international applicant myself. Good luck, guys!!

Any non-Canadian international pre-meds here?? :) I'm Czech!!

Btw, to see the list of US med schools that take internationals and for the ways to pay for med school as an international, check out my blog! (in my signature below) I am a successful international applicant myself. Good luck, guys!!

Hey, where did you get in? Also a non-Canadian international.

What would be my chances as a Canadian applicant to a US Medical School with a cGPA of ~3.88 (science is ~3.91) and MCAT of 33? My ECs are fairly solid with plenty of research (1 abstract and paper potentially), volunteering, leadership and diversity.
I would say if you can get interviews at home your chance in the states are decent (depending on the school), but it is still a crapshoot

Hey guys,
I'm so glad someone finally created this thread.
So I have a really dumb question but what is the exact timeline to apply to medical schools?
If I want to start medical school after graduation, which is 2017. When should I be taking the MCAT and starting my AMCAS application? It would be awesome if you guys can help me out :) Thanks!

Hey guys,
I'm so glad someone finally created this thread.
So I have a really dumb question but what is the exact timeline to apply to medical schools?
If I want to start medical school after graduation, which is 2017. When should I be taking the MCAT and starting my AMCAS application? It would be awesome if you guys can help me out :) Thanks!
you will start to apply in June 2016. You should get your MCAT score ready before then.

I am a canadian citizen and undergraduate student holding multiple acceptances in at U.S medical schools.
I am curious in regards to funding through private loans whether its better to borrow money from a U.S institution at the higher interest rate they have over there or borrow more money at a canadian institution at a lower interest rate.

stronger U.S dollar at 6.5% interest (1.27 USD to 1 CAD)
vs.
weaker CAD at 2.85% interest (0.79 CAD to 1 USD)

Also if you have any questions regarding my application proccess you can ask me

I am a canadian citizen and undergraduate student holding multiple acceptances in at U.S medical schools.
I am curious in regards to funding through private loans whether its better to borrow money from a U.S institution at the higher interest rate they have over there or borrow more money at a canadian institution at a lower interest rate.

vs.

Can you even get American loans as a Canadian?

I have family in america that can cosign for me. So I can borrow from private institutions in either country.
I am fortunate in this regard

vs.

From what I heard from some of the financial aid offices, many Canadian students borrowed money from Canadian banks and the process is pretty simple.

I would go with Canadian loans particularly since you can get some federal student loans (its not much but it helps), and if you work in Canada your making Canadian dollars not USD

vs.

Hi everyone, I don't know if this is the appropriate thread to post this, if not can someone direct me somewhere else.
I'm planning to be a pre-med student in college and have narrowed down my options to Virginia Commonwealth University(VCU) and Virginia Tech; I was waitlisted at University of Virginia. I have received a 45k merit-based scholarship form VCU but didn't get anything from VT. My main concern is that I'm currently on a H-4 visa and still haven't received my EAD. I have no idea when and how long it will take to get our green card even though I have lived in the United States for nearly 10 years. I would be majoring in biomedical engineering at VCU with a pre-med track that VCU is somewhat known for. At VT, I would be majoring in Industrial Systems Engineering (ISE) which is ranked 6th in the nation and would take the required pre-med requisites to still have a chance to apply to med school. With VT, I would have a wonderful backup just in case med school doesn't work out. With VCU, I feel like I would be gambling a lot even though the 45k would be extremely helpful as H-4 visa holders are not allowed to receive government aid. If someone could give me their two cents about what the best path of choice would be, I would be very appreciative. I'm extremely confused as to what I should do. Thanks!

Biomedical Engineering @ VCU is not a gamble there's plenty you can do with that degree in case you decide medical school is not for you.
I'd go to VCU - the 45K will be very useful in the future