Official Rank Order List

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

GYN DOC

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I decided to start a thread on rank order list for ob/gyn. I see that most of the other forums have done so. I'm sure most people have already certified their lists. So heres mine:

1.Emory
2.Baylor
3. UT - MHH
4. atlanta med center
5. parkland
6. Duke
7. UT-LBJ
8. Washington Hospital Center

Members don't see this ad.

OK I'll bite!

1. OHSU
2. Brown
3. UWashington
4. Hopkins
5. UChicago
6. UPenn
7. Cornell
8. Wash U
9. Rush
10. UMaryland
11. Case/MetroHealth
12. Drexel

Not ranked: Columbia, George Washington, Temple, UIC

note: I'm couples matching, hence the ridiculousness!

Members don't see this ad :)
1. Harbor-UCLA
2. UCI
***still kinda freakin out about which one of these should be on top***
3. Banner Good Sam (Phoenix)
4. Metro/CCF
5. Phoenix Integrated residency program
6. USC
7. Loma Linda
8. Cedar-Sinai
9. Kaiser LA
10. Kaiser Oakland

unranked Univ of Arizona (Tucson....no way!! no offense to those who love it there) and all the places in Cali that I declined to interview at...

I wish you all peace with your decision:luck:

**deeeep breath**

Okay, I guess it's official:

1. OHSU :love:
2. Penn
3. Northwestern
4. Pennsylvania Hospital
5. Stanford
6. BWH-MGH
7. UCLA
8. Kaiser-SF
9. Columbia
10. Cedars Sinai
11. UCI
12. LIJ
13. Cornell

1. Cornell
2. BWH-MGH
3. UPenn
4. UCSF
5. Duke
6. UCSD

Putting it out there in the world...

1. BID (awesome dynamic residents, strong public health/international health focus, love Boston)
2. University of Washington (residents get along great, faculty very accessible, Seattle is wonderful & close to friends & family)
3. University of Rochester (pro: Awesome PD, residents very friendly, they've ELIMINATED 24 hour call, good research/fellowship opps; con: located in the snowy snow)
4. UCSF (epicenter for Family Planning, dynamic residents)
5. University of Vermont (pro: super cool residents, small program so tons of interaction with faculty, state-of-the-art hospital; con: my car got stuck in a snowbank during my interview)
6. Albert Einstein (i have a love/hate relationship with NYC)
7. Mt. Sinai (see above)
8. Boston University - BMC
9. Baystate/Tufts
10. University of Hawaii
11. UC Davis
12. Santa Clara Valley

Good luck everybody! I appreciate everyone's insights on this board.

Here's mine: Cornell, Yale, UCSD, Einstein-Montefiore, UMich, Cedars-Sinai, Utah, Parkland, Northwestern, LAC-USC, UCLA, Kaiser LA, Tufts-NEMC.

Good luck everybody! :luck:

Here's mine:
1. Wake Forest
2. UNC
3. Vanderbilt
4. MUSC
5. JPS
6. Brown (would be a lot higher if it wasn't so darn expensive to live there)
7. New Hanover
8. UVa
9. St. Vincents, Indianapolis (LOVED the program, nothing there for my son)
10. Duke

Didn't rank - St. Joe's, Denver

Danbury/Yale, St. Francis, Dartmouth, Lankenau, Lehigh Valley, Reading, Suny Upstate, Pennsy, Abington, Albany

Members don't see this ad :)
It's nice to finally have this out of our hands!

1. UCSD
2. UCI
3. MUSC
4. Wake Forest
5. Duke
6. UVa

Good luck, everyone!

1. UT Southwestern--did an externship there...loved the faculty and residents and awesome OB/MFM...Dallas is good for the hubby
2. UTHSC-San Antonio--good solid program near family
3. University of Colorado--loved it
4. UT-Houston-Hermann
5. Banner Good Sam-phoenix
6. UT-Houston-LBJ
7. Univ. of New Mexico
8. Baylor Dallas
9. UTMB Galveston
10. UTMB Austin

Not ranked: JPS in Fort Worth and Univ. of Tucson--did not personally vibe at all with the people but yeah for those who do!

It's cool to see what other people are thinking. My rankings were primarily for personal reasons.

1. Vanderbilt (Great city, nice residents, good faculty)
2. USC (GREAT training, love county hospitals, great faculty, nice residents)
3. Hopkins (Seriously, would've been #1 if not for my husband)
4. Harbor-UCLA (Love county, great training, dedicated and nice faculty, TONS of research in field of MFM, totally connected with PD)
5. Loyola (Very cool residents, nice facilities, good faculty, chicago is cool)
6. U of Maryland
7. U Conn
8. U of Lousville (definitely would've ranked higher for reasons above, great surgical training)
9. Kaisar (lower because too much bread and butter stuff, also a lot of the faculty trained there)
10. Cedars Sinai (Did not like all those private patients and the politics involved, nice hospital, all fellowships represented)

We'll see what happens 3 weeks from today.

UNC
Wake Forest
UVA
MUSC
Louisville
UK
Duke
ECU
Palmetto Health/Univ. S. Carolina
St. Vincent (Indianapolis)
IU
UT Memphis
William Beaumont (Detroit)

Why did your dad make you paranoid superspec?

...I also wanted to say that it was super-fun and exciting travelling all over and most of all, getting to meet so many of my future colleagues (and probably many of you)! I genuinely liked most everyone I met on the interview trail and I'm feeling very optimistic about the future of our specialty! Go team!

(I would also like to add that I think all this antisocial library study has turned me into a huge cheeseball.)

i had a great time at interviews too! i met some amazing people, and hope to work with you guys in the future!!
1. Hopkins
2. UNC
3. UW
4. Pitt
5. Yale
others. . . .

So here's the top five....
1. Emory
2. UF-Shands (Jax)
3. MUSC
4. UT-LBJ
5. UT-MHH

Obbyjobby, I completely agree. Even on my first interview I noticed how likeable everyone was and remember thinking "It would be great to work with these people"!

I agree...most of the folks that I met were nice and I would love to work with them. I only met one person that I would be less than thrilled to work with. Good luck everyone!

1. UF (Gainesville)
2. USF (Tampa)
3. Emory
4. Duke
5. Wake Forest
6. CMC
7. USC/Palmetto Health
8. MUSC

Last edited:
It makes me wonder why there are 2500+ hits for this thread and less than 30 actual posts with a ROL. I really didn't see what the big deal was; I mean will a Chair in 4 yrs. say you aren't fellowship worthy because in 2007 you ranked us # 4? Didn't think so. I mean the only thing I could see a problem is telling someone that they ranked # 1 or #2 and then they surf this site, miraculously identify you by the far-out code name you used and know that you lied. With that said, obviously I'm missing something so, I decided to remove my ROL. 2500+ people have seen it so good enough I guess. Anyone else with similar or different thoughts?:rolleyes:

I agree. That is really bizzare. People were posting out the wazoo when they got their interviews, now they are quiet. This post would have been very helpful to next years applicants as I used last years ROL's to help direct the programs I applied to. If I could remove my post, I would too.

I agree. I removed my post the other day because I thought it was complete BS that this thread has had like 2500 views, and only 25 or so people actually contributed. The first time I put up my list I had this momentary panicky feeling re. fellowships and potentially pissing off directors of programs that I may want to go to in 4 years. Then, I realized that was not only a symptom of megalomania, but actually completely ridiculous. So I put my post back up. More than anything else, I felt that since I enjoyed reading other people's lists so much, it was only fair that I contribute my own. As I realized that most of the other people were only interested in scoping out other peoples thoughts and lists, I ended up getting irritated and decided that my thoughts were not a part of an open exchange of ideas, as this post was intended to be, but other people's voyeuristic fodder. Didn't think that was too cool. :thumbdown:

You guys really shouldn't be so paranoid. I'm sure most of the views are from MS2's and MS3's (like me) who are thinking about OB and interested to see which are considered "the good programs"... this has been really helpful by the way, since there are definitely some programs that seem to be ranked on nearly everyone's list. I'm sure there are also some pre-meds (the ones that are seniors in high school but already know what med school and specialty they're going into, and just need to pick a residency program) that are checking it out too. It's very likely NOT your program directors... don't you think they have better things to do right now? :)

EDIT: The fellowship concerns are even more ridiculous... do you SERIOUSLY think that fellowship directors are putting hours of investigational work into matching you to your screen name, only to write a blacklist that they're going to keep for four or more years into the future when you all are actually thinking about fellowships????? That's crazy!

I think the reason people are paranoid with putting their lists out there is that it is quite easy to figure out who people are, for some of us, and it is not so much that we are afraid that we won't have good future opportunities because of posting a list on an online forum, but because if we don't get into one of our top three, I think it might be a little strange for people at your program to know they were so far down on your wish list. Maybe I am wrong, but that is just my feeling right now.
I think people are also afraid of burning bridges with their home programs.
I might be more comfortable putting mine up after the match (depending on where I matched of course :) )

I think the reason people are paranoid with putting their lists out there is that it is quite easy to figure out who people are, for some of us, and it is not so much that we are afraid that we won't have good future opportunities because of posting a list on an online forum, but because if we don't get into one of our top three, I think it might be a little strange for people at your program to know they were so far down on your wish list. Maybe I am wrong, but that is just my feeling right now.
I think people are also afraid of burning bridges with their home programs.
I might be more comfortable putting mine up after the match (depending on where I matched of course :) )

yeah...there are not many UCLAMAN's on the interview trail.

i'd rather not post my list because its pretty easy to figure out who i am. i mean, just look at my avatar. i actually liked the majority of the places that i interviewed at. but like michimo said, i don't want to appear disrespectful if i matched at my number 8 or 9 that i ranked that program so far down.

if my screenname wasn't so telling as to who i was then perhaps i would indeed post. but...i have actually corresponded with people from several programs thru sdn. posting my list would mean that they would be privy to it. i could care less if joe schmoe OB/gyn applicant who does not know me sees my list...but i DO CARE that my future senior resident knows where i ranked their program. i am not a fan of disrespecting people before i even start residency.

so for all you posters acting like its not a big deal...think again. if i were a bit more anonymous then perhaps i would post my list.

notice who has been posting their lists...people with post counts less than 30 or so. i have 1600+! notice that most of them do not have their undergrad AND med school in their signature. and gees...i am not planning on making a new screenname just to post my list anonymously.

:confused:I don't care if you have 5000+ posts, its your personal opinion whether you want to post your ROL or not. So, with that said, my position stands, I became paranoid so decided to remove it. I will repeat: I don't think busy professional MD's, including senior residents, are that shallow to hold the fact that you ranked them # 4 against you. People have different reasons for the way they ranked, everyone can't be #1, its not insulting. I personally know someone who wants to stay in a certain city to be close to their father who is extremely ill so, if she matched at # 20 (ranked as such because of location) should the program be offended? Don't think so. So, finishing up, don't know how to take UCLA man's post, if anyone on this site feels that they should or shouldn't post, to each's own. Just saying it was strange and that maybe I missed something.

:confused:I don't care if you have 5000+ posts, its your personal opinion whether you want to post your ROL or not. So, with that said, my position stands, I became paranoid so decided to remove it. I will repeat: I don't think busy professional MD's, including senior residents, are that shallow to hold the fact that you ranked them # 4 against you. People have different reasons for the way they ranked, everyone can't be #1, its not insulting. I personally know someone who wants to stay in a certain city to be close to their father who is extremely ill so, if she matched at # 20 (ranked as such because of location) should the program be offended? Don't think so. So, finishing up, don't know how to take UCLA man's post, if anyone on this site feels that they should or shouldn't post, to each's own. Just saying it was strange and that maybe I missed something.

wow...relax...i was just trying to put in a point of view for the people who weren't posting their lists.

you may not think that no one will hold it against you that you ranked them 20th. thats fine. you may be entirely right. but at the very least, it makes ME feel better that no one can ever hold it against me where i ranked them because i didn't post it in a public forum where people may know who i am, thats all.

like i said...if i were more anonymous...i probably would post my list. my point with the post count was that my screenname is probably higher profile on sdn. but hey you are right...numbers dont necessarily tell the whole story...someone who has 2 posts may be just as high profile as the person with 5000 posts.

in any event...didnt mean to ruffle your feathers...you seem all flustered by my previous post. my apologies. just wanted to give another perspective thats all.

That's exactly why I asked for a few thoughts because I thought maybe I was missing something. I can definitely understand for those not too anonymous quite like yourself and I appreciate the comments. Maybe I took the post a lil harshly and it wasn't intended in that manner but thanks and good luck; just thought I would put my two cents in it. :)

Last edited:
This thread degenerated into something totally lame. Congratulations guys.

It became that because people were getting offended by people not wanting to post their lists, which is just strange to me. I haven't even told some of my close friends the order of my rank list.

No one will hold your rank order list over your head when it comes time for fellowships or anything else. Relax and stop being paranoid. Most of us 2500 viewers are just curious :D

Do you really think PD even look at this forum?

i think many of you are a bit too crazy paranoid. if you are worried about pissing off your home program that is ranked at number 15, then just post your top few (i posted my top 5). it's exciting to see who we may end up matching with next year! also, since you all now know my top five, if i have a new post after match day that lists a different program, you can all feel bad for me and send me flowers!! (even though i would still be thrilled to end up at any of my top 9!) all the other specialties seem to have no problem posting their rank lists and reasons for them. we have 10 more days!! hoping to distract myself in the next 10 days by reading more OB/Gyn rank lists, and not bitter rants to/about other members on this forum!

Good luck everyone and I hope the panic attacks decrease when we know where we are going.:eek:

Just for the record, I truly think whether or not you chose to post your list is a matter of personal preference, and I don't think it says anything about you as a person, or your type A tendencies/lack thereof, or whatever. We are all in different situations and we all know that it's game time. I think what I found objectionable was that a lot of people didn't want to share but then simultaneously seemed eager to see what other people thought. Kind of like drinking out of a keg you didn't help pay for. Just my two cents. But either way, CAN YOU ALL BELIEVE MATCH IS TEN DAYS AWAY!!!!???!!! Crazy!:eek:

Just for the record, I truly think whether or not you chose to post your list is a matter of personal preference, and I don't think it says anything about you as a person, or your type A tendencies/lack thereof, or whatever. We are all in different situations and we all know that it's game time. I think what I found objectionable was that a lot of people didn't want to share but then simultaneously seemed eager to see what other people thought. Kind of like drinking out of a keg you didn't help pay for. Just my two cents. But either way, CAN YOU ALL BELIEVE MATCH IS TEN DAYS AWAY!!!!???!!! Crazy!:eek:

if you don't want people who didn't pay drinking from the keg, perhaps you shouldn't have put that keg in the middle of bourbon street during mardi gras. :laugh:

yeah...so close to finding out yet so far. i wish these next ten days would go by quicker! the beginning of the next chapter of our personal legends(sorry...just finished reading the alchemist)!

sorry...hope that didnt come out mean. wasn't trying to be! :)