OFFICIAL Rejection Thread for 2009 Applicants

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

I'm not sure if posting this could be some sort of bad karma but...I figured we could start the official rejection thread for this year. Share the pain and tell us all when, how, and from where you were rejected. Don't be shy and don't get frustrated...Please PM me with details (School, program, date and method of notice) to update the thread.

"A rejection is nothing more than a necessary step in the pursuit of success." - Bo Bennett

Doctoral Programs in Clinical Psychology (All PhD unless noted)
Bowling Green State University - Email received 1/27/09
DePaul (Child) - Email from department assistant 1/27/09
Drexel: Email from DCT on 2/1/09
Georgia Mason University: Postal service received 12/20/08
Indiana State University (PsyD): Postal mail received 2/6/09
Long Island University - Brooklyn: Postal mail received 1/15/09
Loyola - MD (PsyD): Postal mail received 1/28/09
Loyola - Chicago: Email from dept asst on 1/26/09, Snail mail on 1/31/09
Northwestern - Feinberg: Phone call with secretary on 1/28/09; Website on 2/6/09
Ohio State: Postal mail received on 1/28/09
Sam Houston State: Postal mail received on 1/26/09
San Diego State: Email from POI on 2/1/09
Texas Tech: Unknown on 2/6/09
University of Alabama-Birmingham: Email on 2/5/09
University of California, Los Angeles: Website on 2/8/09
University of Denver: Email (no interview) on 1/21/09
University of Georgia: Email (no interview) on 1/12/09
University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign: Postal mail received 2/9/09
University of Indianapolis (Psy.D.): Snail mail on 1/22/09
University of Kansas (Health): Email (following phone interview) on 1/16/09
University of Kansas: Snail mail on 1/27/09
University of of Kentucky: Postal mail received 2/9/09
University of Massachusetts - Boston: Email on 2/2/09
University of Michigan: Email on 2/4/09
University of Missouri Saint Louis: Postal mail received 2/6/09
University of Nebraska: Email on 2/4/09
University of Texas - Austin: Website on 2/6/09
University of Texas - Southwestern: Email on 2/6/09

Wayne State: Email from admissions on 2/9/09
Yale University - Email on 2/2/09

Other Programs
NYU Counseling: Phone call with secretary on 2/6/09
University of Michigan (Social) - Email on 2/2/09

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I share your pain....no interview for me either for University of Georgia

Mailed rejection LIU Brooklyn Campus.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm not positive yet, but I'm pretty sure I was rejected from Drexel. Looks like they've started calling people for interviews and I haven't gotten any calls.... Statistically I knew it was coming but it's still disappointing

I'd say I'm rejected from UKY and U Missouri Columbia, given that I didn't get any interview invititations.

I didn't get a response from Harvard yet. But then again, I never applied. So.............

I have no idea, but they emailed people so I thought it was all at once.

Ohh well, guess we'll see. And, thanks!

You applied to Clinical there? Weren't the apps due on Jan. 15th?

How did you get a letter already?

Either they're very fast, or they're all about the numbers for the initial round.

I don`t think my application was even forwarded to the department. Unfortunately my undergraduate degree (Religion - Talmud), although fully accredited and quite rigorous is not respected. Hence, the early rejection. Despite my overall excellent credentials.

Rejected from University of Kansas Clinical PhD Health Specialty today (1/16/09) via email from program director. Had a preliminary phone interview a couple weeks ago; received notice today that I wouldn't be invited out for the in-person interview.

Too bad, that was my first choice school.

Last edited:
I don`t think my application was even forwarded to the department. Unfortunately my undergraduate degree (Religion - Talmud), although fully accredited and quite rigorous is not respected. Hence, the early rejection. Despite my overall excellent credentials.

oops!

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Dear applicant,

I regret to inform you that the Clinical Child Admissions Committee has invited applicants for interviews and unfortunately, you are not among them. I am sorry for the news, however, I'm sure it is better for you to know sooner than later. Sincerely, Paula

My first rejection email from Denver University after I emailed to see if they had already extended interview invites. Unfortunately I know it won't likely be my last, LOL!

It's nice that they told you right away. I wish that they would tell the people they don't invite so we could move on with our lives. :/

I got an official rejection letter from GMU in December. Still don't know how they would have finished looking over the apps since the admissions person told me that they hadn't even sent the apps over to the dept until the 15th and the letter was post-marked as the 20th. I think it must've been an initial score-based rejection. Hopefully the rest of the schools will actually look at the whole app. otherwise I'm toast! :( Haven't heard from UMD, and I think all of their invites went out, so I guess that one can be considered a rejection too. The rest of my schools havent sent out invites yet, so I'm holding on to some hope:xf: Good luck to all of you :)

OT, but I love your avatar! I adore guinea pigs :D

Thanks! I just think she's the cutest little thing! (don't tell her brother) :rolleyes:

I'm pretty sure I'm out of the running for UMD as well... which is a bummer, because they were my top choice :( I know invites started a while ago, and when I heard nothing, I e-mailed the dept to check and nobody responded... hah.

Also, I love your piggie picture psychcavy... I've got a cavy at home as well :)

Same here, I hope to take her with me wherever I end up (grad school or working, haha)

I'm pretty sure I'm out of the running for UMD as well... which is a bummer, because they were my top choice :)

I think UMD might still be reviewing applications, but I'm not positive.

Same here, I hope to take her with me wherever I end up (grad school or working, haha)

Yes, if grad housing doesn't allow me to have them, I'm going to have to be really sneaky because I'm not leaving them! :D

I wonder if there's something about psychologists and cavy's? Maybe its the research side of us eh? :p

I just talked to someone at UMD and she said that most likely all of the invites have been sent out, but there could be some left. whatever that means! so Pavlove, do not give up hope yet :) we may still be in the running. (that's what I'm going to take from it anyway)

I just talked to someone at UMD and she said that most likely all of the invites have been sent out, but there could be some left. whatever that means! so Pavlove, do not give up hope yet :) we may still be in the running. (that's what I'm going to take from it anyway)

Kudos to us for hanging on to the end ;) In a perfect world, we'd both be hearing from them today....

I'm so so so sad, I saw on the official invite forum that Fordam sent MASS Emails on Jan 19th :( This was my #1 choice and I thought I was a shoe-in.

So I suppose I'm rejected from Fordham, but I will wait for the official rejection letter and will update...

just called the dept. and clin psych phd fordham is still in the process of sending info and all us Fordham applicants "should here with in a week ONE WAY OR ANOTHER" and if not heard in one week call: Dr. Rosenfeld!!!

I am really bummed...SIUc counseling gave me a phone interview, but that was all. I already read about Louisville's, TN's, and Wisconsin's interview invitations. I did not receive one from any of them. I don't even know if I want to try again next year. I have 4 schools left. I have a 4.00 cumulative, 660 V, 750 Q, 4.5 analytical (that could have been better). I had an English Professor with a PhD from the University of Chicago help me write my personal statements. I checked with the schools to make sure they received my application materials. I did two internships this past year in school settings (one at Head Start). I was accepted to APS and MPA to present my research project this May. I also completed another research project this past May which I presented at a student symposium. We don't have a research lab at our school, so I was unable to participate in that. I took up tutoring this past semester. I also added that I've been coaching children for the past 7 years. I totally give up if no one takes me.

I know that at least UW Madison is really, really, research-focused. Having two projects is great, of course, but they might be looking for more experience.

What I'm saying is don't give up yet! The more research experience you get, the better. That's my plan, anyway.

I am really bummed...SIUc counseling gave me a phone interview, but that was all. I already read about Louisville's, TN's, and Wisconsin's interview invitations. I did not receive one from any of them. I don't even know if I want to try again next year. I have 4 schools left. I have a 4.00 cumulative, 660 V, 750 Q, 4.5 analytical (that could have been better). I had an English Professor with a PhD from the University of Chicago help me write my personal statements. I checked with the schools to make sure they received my application materials. I did two internships this past year in school settings (one at Head Start). I was accepted to APS and MPA to present my research project this May. I also completed another research project this past May which I presented at a student symposium. We don't have a research lab at our school, so I was unable to participate in that. I took up tutoring this past semester. I also added that I've been coaching children for the past 7 years. I totally give up if no one takes me.

there is no need to be so negative - it sounds like you are just out of college. many (not all, but many) people on this board have at least 1 year of full-time research experience under their belts. I have even more than that. It's hard to be competitive with people who have spent that much time doing research after undergrad. your GPA and your GREs are fantastic - with an RA position and some recs from people who have supervised your post-grad research,you should have a much better application in as little as a year.

if this is what you want - don't give up. in fact, all it takes is one acceptance so even though you have 4 schools left one of them could be it. if this is really want you want, keep going. in my opinion - this process is tricky in part because it weeds out those that don't really want to do it.

stay positive!

SPK

well i honestly wasn't expecting to get into Wisconsin..they're ranked #1 and most of their professors will not be taking applicants this year (I contacted the majority of them)
i thought for sure though that i was at least in the top 25-30 applicants for TN and Louisville considering their average GRE scores and GPAs...oh well

University of Indianapolis Psy.D. via snail mail. I thought I had a really good shot at an interview there.

well i honestly wasn't expecting to get into Wisconsin..they're ranked #1 and most of their professors will not be taking applicants this year (I contacted the majority of them)
i thought for sure though that i was at least in the top 25-30 applicants for TN and Louisville considering their average GRE scores and GPAs...oh well

That might be your problem. Do you have a specific research focus? Fit is a big dead, and fit equates to a research focus similar to that of a faculty member in places like UW. Even in more clinically oriented schools such as UT, having the approximate interest of your POI can make or break an app.

Applicants who just finished their undergraduates are at a disadvantage because people who take a year off have a chance to focus their research interests. It sucks, but we have to convince the application committees that we are really solid in that area, even though it seems rare that an undergrad will have sufficient experience to really define their research agenda.
That's what my adviser told me anyway, and it worked okay for me.

You do have strong numbers, and I bet you made the first cut everywhere you applied. You just have to sell yourself to the committees.

No interview for me at my number one favorite school, U of Oregon. I know the admission stats are tough but it sill makes me sad.

I know it isn't the end of the world or anything but at the moment it feels like a major bummer. I ran straight to this rejection thread for some camaraderie :).

A few more schools to hear from yet, but if the current trend continues then it's almost time to start studying for the GREs again. Oh well, such is the life of the clinical psych applicant...

I don't think I made first cuts though.
University of Louisville and TN didn't even call me for their first cuts and my GRE's were 200-300 points higher than their averages.

How about this for a rejection -
A POI at Vermont emails me saying she wants to talk over the phone. 4 days later she emails back saying she changed her mind, but good luck with grad school! (That after I spent 3 days preparing for the phone interview).

Damn, at least give me a chance before giving me a rejection! :oops:

A POI at Vermont emails me saying she wants to talk over the phone. 4 days later she emails back saying she changed her mind, but good luck with grad school! (That after I spent 3 days preparing for the phone interview).

ouch!! i wouldve been pretty upset!!

That's awful! At least he/she didn't give you (more) false hope by actually doing a phone interview.

University of Louisville and TN didn't even call me for their first cuts and my GRE's were 200-300 points higher than their averages.

You would not find out if you made the first cut. The only thing we hear is interview or rejection. From what I understand, there are two cuts and then the remaining applicants go for the real interview. Sometimes if you don't make the first cut, you'll get a rejection letter in the mail pretty soon after they review your app.

If I were you, I would e-mail your POI's once invites are extended and ask why you didn't get an interview. They could probably clear it up for you. Just explain that you need to know what to work on for next year, I'm sure they get it all the time.

Wow that is HARSH!!! :eek:

Others' comments are 100 percent correct, you do not find out if you made first cuts, which in any case you did because those are only based on scores. Second, as others said, fit with the poi and the program's philosophy is important- they'll take a 3.5 gpa who's worked a year full time on their exact area of research over a 4.0 who doesn't. Also...cheer up! it's still very early and you've got other schools. There are a whole host of reasons other than your credentials that go into the process. Keep those spirits up.

I totally give up if no one takes me.

Hmm.. I'm inclined to say, if you're gonna give up so quickly, do you really want this enough? I know that sounds harsh, but only saying it because I think you should maintain some hope, particularly as you go into interview(s). Your scores, etc are SO good. But this process can really make you doubt yourself, so hang on to all the good work you've done. You're the same student after this process as you were before!

Did you only apply to 8 schools? That may turn out to be one of the issues, as the average is much higher (particularly since fit has SO much to do with it). Having the above said, I only applied to 6 schools.. I got ONE interview which happened to be a top choice, and I ended up getting the spot. So, it really can still happen.

Unfortunately undergrads can sometimes be at a disadvantage - as some programs may be reluctant to bring on recent grads because they are typically younger and less exposed to the field. Basically, programs are investing literally tens of thousands of dollars in each student, and so they look for confidence that you are sincerely invested in this for the long haul. Though this can be a hurdle, many new grads still make it happen! Also, the majority of grad students I know (including me) worked 1-3 years as a F/T RA before becoming truly competitive.

Hmm.. I'm inclined to say, if you're gonna give up so quickly, do you really want this enough? I know that sounds harsh, but only saying it because I think you should maintain some hope, particularly as you go into interview(s). Your scores, etc are SO good. But this process can really make you doubt yourself, so hang on to all the good work you've done. You're the same student after this process as you were before!

Did you only apply to 8 schools? That may turn out to be one of the issues, as the average is much higher (particularly since fit has SO much to do with it). Having the above said, I only applied to 6 schools.. I got ONE interview which happened to be a top choice, and I ended up getting the spot. So, it really can still happen.

Unfortunately undergrads can sometimes be at a disadvantage - as some programs may be reluctant to bring on recent grads because they are typically younger and less exposed to the field. Basically, programs are investing literally tens of thousands of dollars in each student, and so they look for confidence that you are sincerely invested in this for the long haul. Though this can be a hurdle, many new grads still make it happen! Also, the majority of grad students I know (including me) worked 1-3 years as a F/T RA before becoming truly competitive.

thanks for the response...I am not planning on giving up...I was just really upset that particular day

I only applied to 8 schools (one school I was able to apply to two programs) because I wanted to make sure that I fit with the program. I also didnt have time to take the subject test, so I could only apply to those schools that did not require it. I was wondering what I should do for next year with regard to applying. I was planning on finding a research lab that I could take part in, do two more independent research projects and present them at conferences, apply to at least 12 schools, and take the psychology subject test. Is there anything else I could do to help out my application?

i haven't actually been physically rejected from anywhere yet, but i haven't gotten any interviews yet either. granted, 5 out of 8 of my schools haven't even started sending anything yet, so i'm probably getting ahead of myself anyway! everyone is supposed to start sending invites this week, and i just feel completely unprepared for the imminent sense of rejection. reading these threads has helped me to realize that although i knew this process would be competitive, i really had NO IDEA just how competitive it really was. you'd think one of my LOR professors might have been like "hmm you really need more experience before you apply -- save yourself $1000 in test and application fees until next year!" or something like that. i feel like a total idiot!! :(

well.. someone told me they emailed Dr. Rosenfeld, and he confirmed that all invites have been extended. i guess i'll consider this my first unofficial rejection! :mad: :(

i haven't actually been physically rejected from anywhere yet, but i haven't gotten any interviews yet either. granted, 5 out of 8 of my schools haven't even started sending anything yet, so i'm probably getting ahead of myself anyway! everyone is supposed to start sending invites this week, and i just feel completely unprepared for the imminent sense of rejection. reading these threads has helped me to realize that although i knew this process would be competitive, i really had NO IDEA just how competitive it really was. you'd think one of my LOR professors might have been like "hmm you really need more experience before you apply -- save yourself $1000 in test and application fees until next year!" or something like that. i feel like a total idiot!! :(

Wow... I feel like you're trespassing in my head, as this was my thought EXACTLY!

Honestly I thought something was wrong with me because I had no nerves or anxiety through this whole application process. Then I found this forum... and things have definitely changed. Although I am 100% grateful to have found this resource, it's honestly driving me batty to read the unbelievable credentials of those who are rejected, or those who got interviews, etc. Its impossible to not immediately start comparing yourself to every post! (This is not typical behavior for me). Last week I had to promise my fiance that I would not come on to this site, as he was getting sick of my whining in the evenings. Alas, here I am... torturing myself.

Wow... I feel like you're trespassing in my head, as this was my thought EXACTLY!

Honestly I thought something was wrong with me because I had no nerves or anxiety through this whole application process. Then I found this forum... and things have definitely changed. Although I am 100% grateful to have found this resource, it's honestly driving me batty to read the unbelievable credentials of those who are rejected, or those who got interviews, etc. Its impossible to not immediately start comparing yourself to every post! (This is not typical behavior for me). Last week I had to promise my fiance that I would not come on to this site, as he was getting sick of my whining in the evenings. Alas, here I am... torturing myself.

haha... i know, just the other day, i was looking on here, and my boyfriend was like, "god! you're on that thing all the time! you're going to drive yourself nuts!" i'm like, "i think it's a little too late for that, honestly!!" i really feel like i'm resolving myself for rejection, which honestly at this point, might be the healthiest thing to do, sadly. :(

well.. someone told me they emailed Dr. Rosenfeld, and he confirmed that all invites have been extended. i guess i'll consider this my first unofficial rejection! :mad: :(
Yes I confirm this, I Emailed Dr. Rosenfeld at Fordham and he said all invites extended and they had a record number of aps this year and "many qualified candidates did not receive an interview" I'm so sad :(

Yes I confirm this, I Emailed Dr. Rosenfeld at Fordham and he said all invites extended and they had a record number of aps this year and "many qualified candidates did not receive an interview" I'm so sad :(

my first unofficial rejection...:(
1 down, 7 to go...