OFFICIAL: Schools rejecting already

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
X

X

Well there seem to be all these threads about secondaries, interviews, etc....I figured how about one about rejections. This way everyone knows which schools are already sending them out.

The only one I know of (from another post, still waiting on mine :) ) is Stanford. So here it is (dates would also be nice if anyone knows them):

Stanford (07/??)

X

Members don't see this ad.

well, apparently U Pitt is one of them.

Members don't see this ad :)
Originally posted by Tweetie_bird
well, apparently U Pitt is one of them.

Glad you remembered! :D

Stanford
U. Pitt
Alabama-Birmingham (cutoff 3.5 GPA)

Northwestern is definitely screening so rejections will be forthcoming from them soon. They are a little behind though from what I gather. I'm personally expecting one from them shortly. :(

Explosivo, try and not be too bummed out...you never know what will happen during this crazy application process. Have faith. :)

Btw, sorry I have nothing else to add to the list too, except that I also got rejected from Stanford on 07/12/02...exactly 1 month from the day I submitted my AMCAS.

adding myself to stanford reject list

Stanford (7/12)
U. Pitt

Originally posted by PrincessCKNY
Explosivo, try and not be too bummed out...you never know what will happen during this crazy application process. Have faith. :)

Thanks Princess. Unfortunately though my optimism went out with my final rejection letter last year. Going through this process once takes a lot out of you and one of those things that goes is the optimism.

I'll have to try and regain it somehow. Maybe an interview offer from some school in the coming months may do just that hopefully but I'm not holding my breath.

blitz,

I don't think duke screens heavily. giving u the secondary is like a screen in itself cuz of how ghettoass long it is

well, duke still screens..just like UAB, and UAB doesnt have a bad screen..altho, they are just stupid.

Stanford and UMich screen heavily, though..

see, lower ranked schools, in order to post the illusion of being high ranked (and be on USNews..whooptido) accept high stats..this is the case with UF and UAB. In trying to reach the echelon of high schools (such as harvard, stanford, yale, etc)..

Of course, we all kn ow, that no matter what their stats are, they will never touch these schools. Oh well :D

Originally posted by Blitzkrieg

Stanford and UMich screen heavily, though..

:D

U Mich was screening for secondaries???? wow!!!

not the secondary itself, but if you got an email requesting letters of rec then you passed the "screen"

Members don't see this ad :)
I don't think stanford screens nearly as heavily as ucsf.

heard they give bout 60% of applicants secs, while ucsf gives it to only 1/3!

:eek:

Originally posted by Tweetie_bird

U Mich was screening for secondaries???? wow!!!

no, only for letter of recs, sorry I wasn't more specific..40% get letter of rec requests

I was wondering if anybody knows if UCLA is screening. I haven't heard anything from them and they were one of the first places to get my application. I have heard though that they tend to be rather slow...

Got a letter from Vandy today. :rolleyes: Good thing I already decided not to do the secondary. :D

Stanford (7/12)
U. Pitt
Vanderbilt

Originally posted by Explosivo
I was wondering if anybody knows if UCLA is screening. I haven't heard anything from them and they were one of the first places to get my application. I have heard though that they tend to be rather slow...

all uc's screen. ucsd and ucsf have begun giving out secondaries. i don't know about the others. someone posted recently that ucla hasn't even started this year's process, so it may take a while. the last i checked they still don't have the application status page for this year up.

Originally posted by Wahoo07
Got a letter from Vandy today. :rolleyes: Good thing I already decided not to do the secondary. :D

Stanford (7/12)
U. Pitt
Vanderbilt

Have you already taken the MCAT-Vandy has me in some "Hold Category". MCAT this weekend.

haha, i was wondering why I hadn't received a stanford rejection yet....i was mistaken about my app being transmitted (the other dates were old).....so I guess soon as they get that it will be on its way.

Cool.......let's see if anyone can beat stanford to sending me my first one...

Anyone wanna bet on a school...I am picking standford as the first. You can ask me questions if you like to pick which school will send me the first one (a fun little game, comon just pick a school).

X

Does anyone else think it is really lame that Vanderbilt sent secondaries to everyone and then decided to send rejection letters a couple weeks later, before you turned in your secondaries??
How absurd is that!!! Thank God I didnt send them a check or do the essay!
Bounty

Originally posted by Bounty
Does anyone else think it is really lame that Vanderbilt sent secondaries to everyone and then decided to send rejection letters a couple weeks later, before you turned in your secondaries??
How absurd is that!!! Thank God I didnt send them a check or do the essay!
Bounty

compelling question

OK. I spoke w/ a guy on UC Irvine's adcom, and he said things are rolling for UCI med. He says that UCLA and I forget what other schools are about a step ahead of them. It shouldn't be too long now.

Well, you can add me to this fledgling list:

Stanford (7/12)
U. Pitt
Vanderbilt (8/13)

Does anybody know what criteria Vanderbilt uses? I got rejected outright after the initial screen, they don't even have my letters of rec yet! I thought I'd be pretty competetive at least for an interview, I've got a 3.5/38. Anybody have any insight?

On the bright side, I no longer have to do their f*#% secondary. :D

Good luck to everyone else!

And yes, Bounty, I think that's really lame too!

Cornell sent an e-mail saying they aren't even looking at applications until after their classes start in late August, so I guess they won't start sending out rejections for another couple of weeks. I thought that was kind of nice of them to let us know.

for some reason, i dont get cornell emails - its really annoying. I already talked to a lady in their office and she tried sending me the email that they first sent a while ago twice (through amcas) but I didnt get them. So she finally tried sending it directly to me through their offices and I got it. I have no idea whats wrong b.c i dont have any filters on and I am getting emails from everywhere else (I think....)

Anyone else having this problem?
Oh yeah, Samoa, when did they send that email? :)

Originally posted by TroutBum

Does anybody know what criteria Vanderbilt uses? I got rejected outright after the initial screen, they don't even have my letters of rec yet! I thought I'd be pretty competetive at least for an interview, I've got a 3.5/38. Anybody have any insight?

Huh? Your GPA is probably average to them, but a 38 MCAT and no secondary? The worst you could have done in one section is an 8. Troutbum, I'd say drop them an email and see if it was a mistake, or at least figure out why. Lest your personal statement was an examination of how your affiliation with the KKK inspired your motivation for medicine or you listed armed robbery as one of your personal experiences, thats pretty rough.

does anyone know if Northwestern is screening?

Originally posted by DW

does anyone know if Northwestern is screening?

As I mentioned earlier, it is my understanding that they are and always have screened applicants. They just have yet to send out rejection letters I believe.

As I mentioned earlier, it is my understanding that they are and always have screened applicants. They just have yet to send out rejection letters I believe.

oh i didn't see that post, thanks explosivo. i got their app friday on saturday but my friend (who lives in chicago) has not. dont know what to make of it.

Vanderbilt rejected me before they got my lor's, i thought about canceling my check but figured they had already cashed it. they could have at least waited until i sent my lor's to make me feel like i had a chance.

how did the vandy rejection come? by way of email or snail mail?

Originally posted by TechMan
how did the vandy rejection come? by way of email or snail mail?

Mine came by snail mail.

Originally posted by CRAZYTERP
Vanderbilt rejected me before they got my lor's, i thought about canceling my check but figured they had already cashed it. they could have at least waited until i sent my lor's to make me feel like i had a chance.

Don't worry, there's a silver lining and you may not realize it now but you may by the end of this cycle. This post may be a tad long but bear with me.

Although it may seem cold and unpleasant, it is ALWAYS better to be rejected early than to be strung along or "dicked" around as I like to say till next May when you are finally rejected.

You should thank Vanderbilt really. In this entire process the worst thing that I found when I went thru it a few years ago is "false hope." Schools giving you the impression that you have a chance screws with your head more than anything else.

I'll give you an example, Rush and Loyola are some of the worst offenders in this department. They'll send you a secondary and if you don't meet their interview requirements they won't reject you initially. You'll just hear nothing from them for months and then in maybe february you'll get the infamous and mysterious "Hold for interview" letter (mark my words many of us will get up close and personal with that one at some point) which basically says they're not sure if they want to interview you but in reality everyone that sends in a secondary and has yet to interview gets that letter anyway. Then a few more months pass and it is now May and you get a nice letter saying that they cannot offer you a spot in their class. It is at that point that you feel like an absolute dope as I did because for the past several months you have been calling their office to check on status, sending update letters and busting your ass to take extra classes meanwhile they had "rejected" you from the beginning-theyjust don't bother to let you know that early on and make it seem like they are "carefully" considering your application. Yeah, thanks a lot.

To avoid this, I wish more schools would screen that way people would know for sure if they even stand a chance at admission.
Cheer up! It's one less school you have to worry about and it's still very early.

GW is exactly the same. I have still not been rejected technically.

To those who have been rejected by Vanderbilt, what does the status check say? Does it reflect your rejection? I really appreciate your help- also when did you submit your secondary?

Regarding Explosivo's story about Loyola, I think they are just slow all around. Last year I sent my seconday to Loyola in early October (I know, I was late too). I didn't hear anything from them until they sent an interview invite in April. I thought for sure I was getting the cold shoulder because everytime I called they said that my application had been reviewed by the committee once or twice or three times. But finally I got the interview invite. Of course I was interviewing for the wait list, but they called me off the waitlist on May 17th. So apparantly they thought I was a good applicant, they just took a long time to send the interview invite. I think they make a lot of waitlist offers, so they don't cut anybody from the applicant pool until they feel they have enough interested parties to fill their class.

I too would rather know a little early than very late. except for perhaps my first choice school. then that'd be painful

got a small letter from UCLA today. i almost pissed in my pants. turns out it was some information. i'll post the info in another thread.

:eek: sounds like an error, call'em.

On the bright side, I no longer have to do their f*#% secondary. :D

Good luck to everyone else!

Troutbum,
That is ridiculous that u got screened out! - u should def. email them! well you are right about the bright side plus I guarantee other schools won't respond to you that way. best of luck

But i am confused - did you ever get an email that said something like this:

Vanderbilt University School of Medicine has received a file indicating that you have completed your AMCAS application. You may now complete and click "final submit" for your Vanderbilt online secondary application. We are so excited that you are an applicant to Vanderbilt's 2003 First Year Class!

Every applicant applying to Vanderbilt is invited to complete Vanderbilt's online secondary application at www.mc.vanderbilt.edu/medschool/prospective_medstu.php .

Invitations to interview at VUMS will be mailed as soon as screening is completed. This is accomplished on a rolling basis. You can expect to hear from us about 4-6 weeks from the date of the transmission of your AMCAS application to Vanderbilt.
----------------------------------------
they claim that everyone is invited to a secondary but you didn;t even do yours. So does that mean they rejected you after transmission without recieveing anything other than AMCAS from you? So in their initial screen, do they do only one of two things
1) invite to interviw
2) reject
is there no 'hold' category? - like after 4-6 weeks post AMCAS transmission - can they say , "we don;t want to reject you right away, but maybe we'll interview you later

Anyone have any idea how this works, please explain to me. :confused:

Thanks in advance

Well thats what happened to me. I got that email and then didnt do the secondary yet because i was working on others. Thankfully!
So they didn't have anything new to base their rejection on. My GPA is decent from a top ten undergrad and a 33 (I know, its no 38 but still!)
Oh well, I better get used to these letters. ;)

I talked to Vandy's admission office yesterday and the woman I spoke with said that interviews/rejections are sent out based on the AMCAS application ONLY. I asked her why bother completing the secondary and mailing the $50 if they are only going to look at it when/if I am offered an interview. Her only reply was 'Well, you would already have your secondary finished then if we offered you an interview". It is really ridiculous. I think it makes the school look bad.

Well I took think it is pretty crummy what thay have done, and I wish you all the best with the other schools who I know will treat you better. Good luck!

Although I am always in favor of bashing AMCAS and this Admissions process, on very careful parsing of the email, they are doing exactly what they said.

You can infer that Interviews ae based only on AMCAS applications, and that the secondaries can, but does not have to be submitted right now.

I have included a copy of the email for reference.

Dear Charles:
Vanderbilt University School of Medicine has received a file indicating that you have completed your AMCAS application. You may now complete and click "final submit" for your Vanderbilt online secondary application. We are so excited that you are an applicant to Vanderbilt's 2003 First Year Class!

Every applicant applying to Vanderbilt is invited to complete Vanderbilt's online secondary application at www.mc.vanderbilt.edu/medschool/prospective_medstu.php .

Invitations to interview at VUMS will be mailed as soon as screening is completed. This is accomplished on
a rolling basis. You can expect to hear from us about four to six weeks from the date of the transmission
of your AMCAS application to Vanderbilt.

Applying to medical school usually takes longer than any of us hope that it will. Remember that the AMCAS application deadline is October 15, 2002 while the Vanderbilt online secondary application deadline is December 31, 2002.

Patricia Sagen, Ph.D.
Director of Admissions
Vanderbilt University School of Medicine

Hey Cabruen, you're definitely right in that they're doing exactly what they said, but it is a bit deceptive.

I never recieved the formal invitation to complete the secondary, just the email that said that they knew I was in the process of completing my AMCAS, and that I would be able to submit the secondary when they recieved my completed AMCAS. But I had already started working on it, hoping to submit it as soon as I got the confirmation. I didn't realize that this was in actuality a way of saying that they would screen the AMCAS and then invite people to complete the secondary. Because really, wouldn't the first thing they get from AMCAS be the completed AMCAS application?

Anyways, I emailed them, and they gave me a pretty political response, saying they get so many applications for so many spots and our mean scores are such and such and we seek candidates with lots of extracurriculars and so on and so forth, so I didn't really get much real feedback.

I also definitely agree with those who say that it's better to be rejected early in the game rather than later. But I thought I had at least another month or so before rejections would start to roll in. . .

Okay, just my thoughts, sorry that was so long-winded.

I agree with everybody here that Vanderbilt is acting pretty awful.

I was just getting ready to work on their secondary application, but luckily I had not started yet. Now, I will no just wait until I get their rejection.

They could have cleared up this whole problem if they had added something as simple as:

While we have made Secondary Application online so that you may begin working on it, decisions to interview candidates will be made based solely on their AMCAS application. The Secondary Application must be completed prior to any scheduled interview.

I don't know where the list went, but I got a letter from Loyola today telling me that they are no longer able to further process my application. Guess that means no Loyola for me! No secondary or anything. I'm beginning to see the randomness of this whole process....i got a secondary from Stanford and Pitt and various others.....but no Loyola. I wonder if they have that special, secret magical cut-off that I didn't pass...oh well, one less set of questions to be answered, i guess!

Originally posted by buglady
I don't know where the list went, but I got a letter from Loyola today telling me that they are no longer able to further process my application. Guess that means no Loyola for me! No secondary or anything. I'm beginning to see the randomness of this whole process....i got a secondary from Stanford and Pitt and various others.....but no Loyola. I wonder if they have that special, secret magical cut-off that I didn't pass...oh well, one less set of questions to be answered, i guess!

Loyola is screening?! Wow! Sorry to hear about that, I still haven't heard anything from them. When did you get verfied by AMCAS?

Hey everyone, I just re-read the MSAR for Vandy, and it says there that they only invite those people who are offered interviews to complete secondaries, so Vanderbilt has been doing exactly what they said they would do. Their emails, however, were much less clear than the statement in the MSAR. Anyways, just thought I'd throw that out. Sheesh, after applying to so many schools though, it's tough to keep track of which schools do what. . .

Loyola is screening?! Wow! Sorry to hear about that, I still haven't heard anything from them. When did you get verfied by AMCAS?

I submitted July 3rd or was it the 5th?! Yeah, Loyola didn't like something about my application...oh well, I didn't feel too sad for too long, because UCSF loved me enough to give me a secondary...wahoo!

wake forest, i noticed another thread about them already rejecting applicants