OFFICIAL: Schools rejecting already

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
1 down, 24 to go. (stanford doesn't like me)

Members don't see this ad.

I received a cryptic email from WashU, that I am interpreting as a rejection.

Your file has been reviewed, and at this time you are not authorized for an interview.

No big loss. I had a feeling it was not the right place for me anyway. My premed advisor talked me into applying. So much for those wasted dollars.

Members don't see this ad :)
cabruen,
quote:
Your file has been reviewed, and at this time you are not authorized for an interview.

You are not authorized at this time. Sounds like they're leaving their options open. I never got anything like this last year and was formally rejected in March.

pocwana, you are in fine company from both this year and last!

Sounds equivalent to hold "hold for interview" response to me. If I remember currectly there is a thread about this somewhere.;)

I know it eats at you, but don't internalize the rejection. I sound like a shrink, don't I? Hehe! :)

Try to focus instead on your interview offers!!! Think of those of us who are still waiting for even one! ;)

yup, i think people only use the word "at this time" when they're relaying bad news....

I consider it the same as a "hold for interview" rejection. I do not expect to ever hear from them again. If I happen to, great. If not, I think it is for the best. I am confident that WashU was not the correct school for me. I have been doing well in the application cycle so far, and I am in no position to complain. I am looking forward to my interview an San Antonio on Monday and Tulanea week from now. I also got a Vanderbilt interview invitation which is nice, but means I actually have to submit their secondary. Well worth the penalty.

I wish everybody the best.

hmm, i got this bizarre letter via snail mail from wash u, that says basically nothing: we have all your info to complete your file, blah blah. i dont why its taken them so long to send me this confirmation since all my materials have been on the online status page and my it said my app was complete for a few weeks now

geez, stanford really doesn't like SDNers apparently :(

Originally posted by DW
geez, stanford really doesn't like SDNers apparently :(

Stanford doesn't like anybody! ;)

Originally posted by SMW
Stanford doesn't like anybody! ;)

Well they do only interview less than 10% of applicants. 5800+ kids, 560 interviews (240 from California, 320 from outside)...

-RA

Add another Stanford rejection, this one post-secondary
(snail mail dated 9/9/02).

guess they didn't like my 36 and 3.9...

or maybe it was my out of state caucasian male status...

sorry for my bitterness... they waitlisted me for undergrad also.

Members don't see this ad :)
Originally posted by NYC Non-Trad
or maybe it was my out of state caucasian male status...

Jeez, you know...white males have it so tough...

-RA

Well add University of Hawaii to the list. Just got it, no secondary even. I am sort of confused though I am about at their avg for GPA, and above for MCAT, beats me.
That makes a total of 4 and no word on interviews....:(

X

asian males have it just as rough man.
i just got my rejection from jhu.

X: are you a hawaii resident?

Originally posted by X
Well add University of Hawaii to the list. Just got it, no secondary even. I am sort of confused though I am about at their avg for GPA, and above for MCAT, beats me.
That makes a total of 4 and no word on interviews....:(

X

are you a resident of Hawaii, Montana, or Wyoming? If not, Hawaii will not consider your application. sorry to disappoint.. if you are a resident of any of these states, I would definitely call to find out what is going on.

Originally posted by Katie
are you a resident of Hawaii, Montana, or Wyoming? If not, Hawaii will not consider your application. sorry to disappoint.. if you are a resident of any of these states, I would definitely call to find out what is going on.

Wow, so Montana and Wyoming are WWAMI, WICHE, and whatever name Hawaii gives? From Montana/Wyoming to Hawaii is quite a change. ;)

-RA

Not from Hawaii, but from California. The only reason I applied was because it seems that 5 people from my undergrad got in there last year. Must have had seriously high numbers or something. Oh well, no Hawaii for me. But hoping to hear soon from somebody, anybody.

X

Well....my rejections are up to 5 now...

U of Pitt
U of Kansas
Wayne State ( didn't like anything about it anyway )
UCLA/Drew ( being a white male is probably the reason)

and now.... Tulane

Tulane is the only school that I had submitted a secondary to. But Tulane was an automatic secondary....

As for the older questions about Loyola..... I have visited the school and was personally told that they have been screening the applications this year......secondaries are not automatic.....and they say they are a school that looks at other factors other than GPA/MCAT....from what I have found out, it seems they are big on community service/health care experience, etc...

Hey SM-UCLA, if you dont mind me asking, who at Loyola told you they were screening this year? I'm not doubting you, I'm just wondering if it was an adcom member or someone reliable. If they are screening, then it gives me more reason to start working on their secondary :) Thanks again!

After reading the posts and then looking at my amcas book, it says Loyola does screen. I received a secondary from them even though my gpa is above average but my mcat is below their average. It might be the extracurricular stuff cause I have a ton of research experience (getting an M.S.) and volunteered in a hospital etc...........btw, I got rejected from Wake Forest too without a secondary but got an interview from NYMC a few days later so it made up for it. I just want to get in somewhere! BTW, I got a card from USUHS saying I need to take a physical..........anyone else get that?? Does that mean possible interview?? Thanks.

Jetson

Welcome, Jetson! :) I have no idea about the physical, just wanted to selcome you to SDN. Good luck with Loyola and the rest of your apps!! :)

could someone please consolidate the rejections by school and #...?

a physical??? that's weird... its like the hertz rental car commercials... 'we could have them all get physicals!!!- yeah yeah....' and then something bad happens. why??? because... adcoms like to torture you.
tell them you have a bruise, and they'll poke it...
tell them you have fillings and they'll give you candies made of foil... sweet, yet painful...
tell them you have tennis elbow and the admissions officer will ask you to jerk him off.. i mean.. wtf??

hi jetson! standards for military officers all require that you be in excellent health just in case they have to send you out on a deployment (ie your "world wide qualified" to work). the government is not going to invest the time and energy to educate you if you do not have the physical ability to them back. and yes, usually if they want a physical then you'll more than likely be invited to interview. once again, why would the government waste money on a physical for no reason or return? good luck to you!

Hey! I was invited for an interview at usuhs, but wasn't asked to get a physical. did i miss something? and should i call them about it? i remember seeing a million and one physical requirements in the secondary packet, so i wouldn't be surprised.

Hey all!
Just a question about this "hold for an interview" stuff. Do you get an official letter about being on hold, or is it just assumed? I completed my secondaries between the end of july and the end of august but haven't heard from most of my schools. Do I give them more time? I don't want to call because I know their busy, but it's been over 6 weeks for a lot of the schools. I'm pretty clueless on the whole process, so if anyone knows, please let me know! thanks!

Originally posted by abw
Hey all!
Just a question about this "hold for an interview" stuff. Do you get an official letter about being on hold, or is it just assumed? I completed my secondaries between the end of july and the end of august but haven't heard from most of my schools. Do I give them more time? I don't want to call because I know their busy, but it's been over 6 weeks for a lot of the schools. I'm pretty clueless on the whole process, so if anyone knows, please let me know! thanks!

Last year when I applied, some schools like GW sent you a postcard informing you about "hold" status. Other schools (can't remember which ones), told me when I called them. If it's been a while since you heard from a school, then I would call them and ask about the status of your application. I found that most Adcoms are very friendly and willing to help you out.

I didn't know that the MCAT had STDs! I'm staying away from it? Especially since I already anally raped it ....

Hahaha. Just kidding.

I was ousted from Mich. St. before a secondary. That sux.
Last year Northwestern wanted my secondary, and I sent my app in in October!!! I also didn't have as much as I have now. But I didn't apply to the cutthroat bastids this year.

Enjoy the process, peeps.

"Yeah, I saw Ty Cobb and he wanted to play, but since none of us liked the bastard when we were alive I told him to STICK it!"

--- Shoeless Joe (Liotta) in Field of Dreams

Originally posted by Gumshoe
I didn't know that the MCAT had STDs! I'm staying away from it? Especially since I already anally raped it ....

Hahaha. Just kidding.

I was ousted from Mich. St. before a secondary. That sux.
Last year Northwestern wanted my secondary, and I sent my app in in October!!! I also didn't have as much as I have now. But I didn't apply to the cutthroat bastids this year.

Enjoy the process, peeps.

"Yeah, I saw Ty Cobb and he wanted to play, but since none of us liked the bastard when we were alive I told him to STICK it!"

--- Shoeless Joe (Liotta) in Field of Dreams

So young... so angry...

:)

Just got a rejection from Drew a few days ago. Why do they only accept 24 people???? :confused:

Got my first rejection today, it's Georgetown. :(

Originally posted by PrincessCKNY
Just got a rejection from Drew a few days ago. Why do they only accept 24 people???? :confused:

Word up, Princess. I got the same letter today. It's too bad, too...Drew has a great program I was genuinely interested in. Time for a beer...

Originally posted by tedstriker
Word up, Princess. I got the same letter today. It's too bad, too...Drew has a great program I was genuinely interested in. Time for a beer...

ahhh...the solution to all of our problems! :D

Originally posted by kaos
Got my first rejection today, it's Georgetown. :(

when did you send in your secondary?

thanks!

I sent it on 8/14. :(

there's already another thread that has a list of # of acceptances/waitlists/rejections

First rejection, University of Chicago, Pritzker. I'm not bitter. +pissed+

I'm not even mad. +pissed+

I'm just a little... upset. +pissed+

Dissapointed. +pissed+

Whatever. :)

University of Chicago as well. Thin envelopes...you just know.

yarg.

Sorry about the Pritzker rejections.... but one question. Were the pre-interview or post-interview?

Thanks

Originally posted by marakah2
from what I'veheard about their undergrad program, an affiliation with the KKK is pretty normal at vanderbilt

What the hell are you talking about?

Originally posted by MGoBlue13
Sorry about the Pritzker rejections.... but one question. Were the pre-interview or post-interview?

Thanks

pre-interview.

one of my friends at vandy undergrad, and says that there is a ton of prejudice, etc. --- he has had a really bad time there

but, i'm sure that is nothing like the med school
but, i wouldnt want to be near that sort of mentality

that's funny...
i heard the opposite
i have never really lived in "the south" so asked a bunch of friends about vandy

a good african-american friend of mine, who was an undergrad there, said he had a great time and that the university is quite accomodating and becoming more cosmopolitan

he said his experience there was less racially charged than his experience at harvard

oh well