You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
*Official September 10, 2016 MCAT Thread*
Started by frosted_flake
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
Just finished the AAMC unscored... I don't know what to think at this point.
Total: 70%, CP(73%), CARS (66%), BS (68%), Psych (75%).
I'm shooting for a 509/510. I haven't reviewed yet, so I am unsure where I went wrong. Biology was a strange score. Still questioning whether I want to proceed with the real deal in 1.5 weeks. Advice/suggestions?
Total: 70%, CP(73%), CARS (66%), BS (68%), Psych (75%).
I'm shooting for a 509/510. I haven't reviewed yet, so I am unsure where I went wrong. Biology was a strange score. Still questioning whether I want to proceed with the real deal in 1.5 weeks. Advice/suggestions?

Just finished the AAMC unscored... I don't know what to think at this point.
Total: 70%, CP(73%), CARS (66%), BS (68%), Psych (75%).
I'm shooting for a 509/510. I haven't reviewed yet, so I am unsure where I went wrong. Biology was a strange score. Still questioning whether I want to proceed with the real deal in 1.5 weeks. Advice/suggestions?![]()
I would spend 2 days reviewing to see if what you missed was content or experimental / problem-solving mistakes. The former is something you can review in this last stretch, but the latter may take longer to improve. It may also depend on if you felt rushed or on-time for each of the sections.
I would spend 2 days reviewing to see if what you missed was content or experimental / problem-solving mistakes. The former is something you can review in this last stretch, but the latter may take longer to improve. It may also depend on if you felt rushed or on-time for each of the sections.
Definitely going to review tonight/tomorrow. Will probably make a count for "content versus experimental".
Not ready to quit with this test... started at a 488 4 months ago!
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Definitely going to review tonight/tomorrow. Will probably make a count for "content versus experimental".
Not ready to quit with this test... started at a 488 4 months ago!
It's not a bad score your sample test, I did about the same I believe, my BS was unusually bad though since that is usually my best section, oh well.
Just keep reviewing, and practicing, you have come a long way from where you were 4 months ago. So if anything that is a plus.
Also update on question packs.
Cars1-59% (did better towards end)
Bio2- 87%
It's not a bad score your sample test, I did about the same I believe, my BS was unusually bad though since that is usually my best section, oh well.
Just keep reviewing, and practicing, you have come a long way from where you were 4 months ago. So if anything that is a plus.
Also update on question packs.
Cars1-59% (did better towards end)
Bio2- 87%
Appreciate it. And yes, just gotta close out these 11-12 days.
Just curious... what is your goal score?
Appreciate it. And yes, just gotta close out these 11-12 days.
Just curious... what is your goal score?
Goal is 510, which i think is possible since when I looked over my sample test, I had some holes in my content. So will spend the next 7 days reading....again and using Kaplan's QuickSheets.
Goal is 510, which i think is possible since when I looked over my sample test, I had some holes in my content. So will spend the next 7 days reading....again and using Kaplan's QuickSheets.
how have those kaplan quicksheets been for you?
Especially for the psych/social and biology sections?
I really think they are helpful, of course they do not have all the information, but they have the essentials so I am starting to supplement with khan academy to fill in where I need more explanation. We will see if this strategy works when I take the scored next week lol.how have those kaplan quicksheets been for you?
Especially for the psych/social and biology sections?
I really think they are helpful, of course they do not have all the information, but they have the essentials so I am starting to supplement with khan academy to fill in where I need more explanation. We will see if this strategy works when I take the scored next week lol.
good luck! I am taking the unscored tomm and then scored next week as well.
Been using the quicksheets just to look at if I have some free time since they are easy to carry around.
I personally feel like the only section that they overdid on there was the ochem reactions but everything else is good.
good luck! I am taking the unscored tomm and then scored next week as well.
Been using the quicksheets just to look at if I have some free time since they are easy to carry around.
I personally feel like the only section that they overdid on there was the ochem reactions but everything else is good.
update us after on your progress. hopefully 510+ all around
I finished CARS pack 1 last night. 61% overall, with a huge improvement at the end. Tomorrow I am finishing Bio section bank, Psych/Soc section bank, and will start CARS pack 2. Gonna probably take EK 3 on Wednesday. Let's finish this out strong everybody!!
Hey guys for those getting around 80% right on P/C and BS...how do you do it? lol Any advice on what I can do to get those up? When I review physics and chem concepts I feel like it takes me forever but doesn't really increase the number of questions I get right to the point of getting 80% of the questions right. If the only option is to work on my weaknesses, how do you suggest I do that in the small amount of time remaining? I'm using Kaplan books which I find helpful. Thanks in advance!
it might be how you're analyzing questions that pertain to experiments. go back to questions you've gotten wrong and see if it's because you didn't know the concept or you misinterpreted a graph/experiment result...I feel like for C/P and B/B it's more about how you can apply what you know rather than how much you knowHey guys for those getting around 80% right on P/C and BS...how do you do it? lol Any advice on what I can do to get those up? When I review physics and chem concepts I feel like it takes me forever but doesn't really increase the number of questions I get right to the point of getting 80% of the questions right. If the only option is to work on my weaknesses, how do you suggest I do that in the small amount of time remaining? I'm using Kaplan books which I find helpful. Thanks in advance!
hey guys what are your plans for the last week?
AAMC scored FL
Maybe NS 1/2 diagnostic
Review content
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
hey guys what are your plans for the last week?
This week:
Review section banks
General content review
Khan Academy P/S passages
Take a couple of sections from my 2 Kaplan tests
Next week:
AAMC scored
Content review after
NS also gives 1 free full length which was pretty representative in my opinionAAMC scored FL
Maybe NS 1/2 diagnostic
Review content
71%/63%/64%/71% Total: ~67%
That bio section was tough for me and need to improve cars 🙁
That bio section was tough for me and need to improve cars 🙁
Have you gone through the exam yet to see what kinds of questions you are missing?71%/63%/64%/71% Total: ~67%
That bio section was tough for me and need to improve cars 🙁
How have your other practice scores been?
71%/63%/64%/71% Total: ~67%
That bio section was tough for me and need to improve cars 🙁
I felt the bio section was comparable to the section bank.
Spend a day to review... sharpen up... and try the scored.
Keep grinding!
Good Luck everyone taking the exam tomorrow!!! See ya on the other side! 😉

Have you gone through the exam yet to see what kinds of questions you are missing?
How have your other practice scores been?
504-505 on a couple nextstep exams
~62% on ek4 (didnt take cars section though)
How do you guys improve reading the bis passages. It's really hard for me to keep up with some passages
I felt the bio section was comparable to the section bank.
Spend a day to review... sharpen up... and try the scored.
Keep grinding!
Thanks 🙂
One girl said it is hard (today's test - Sept 1st), her 2nd time (she took her 1st one in June).
I took todays exam (2nd time taking it, first time was April 2015)
Do all the section bank and do all the CARS Q Packs. Best practice you could do imo.
Overall, it wasn't terrible. Certainly wasn't easy but pretty manageable. I prepped for about 4 months using Kaplan, EK, Anki, and all of the AAMC materials
Do all the section bank and do all the CARS Q Packs. Best practice you could do imo.
Overall, it wasn't terrible. Certainly wasn't easy but pretty manageable. I prepped for about 4 months using Kaplan, EK, Anki, and all of the AAMC materials
My S said not much Physics, plenty of Chem. NS is closer to the real.
Well I hope you got the score you were hoping for. So nervous about mine in 9 days lolI took todays exam (2nd time taking it, first time was April 2015)
Do all the section bank and do all the CARS Q Packs. Best practice you could do imo.
Overall, it wasn't terrible. Certainly wasn't easy but pretty manageable. I prepped for about 4 months using Kaplan, EK, Anki, and all of the AAMC materials
Thanks! Make sure to get plenty of sleep in the days leading up to it. I think that helped me a lot, especially helped in being less of a nervous wreck. Go into the test with the understanding that there will be questions you'll have to guess on - this mindset helps to keep you from freaking out in the middle of a section because you don't know the answer right awayWell I hope you got the score you were hoping for. So nervous about mine in 9 days lol
Good luck!
I was also talking to my friends who took the exam this summer or last year and every one of them scored 512+ 😕
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I already took the scored FL from AAMC in June but didn't review it too much; do you guys think I should take it again this weekend? Or would it be a better idea to take a Kap FL since I have a few of those available? I'm also slowly making my way through the AAMC qpacks. trying to squash all of my self doubt but it's getting pretty difficult in these last few days before the exam.
I haven't taken the test, but I assume that AAMC content would be more valuable than taking a Kaplan test. I feel that the test prep (especially Kaplan and TPR) are better for preparing you for the timing and mental stamina. I guess I would probably retake AAMC FL. If not, a lot of people have been recommending the section bank. I am going to take the AAMC FL next Monday (my last test) and re-do the section bank Q's.
Hopefully this helps.
I have a few Kaplan tests left but I'm just going to do specific section tests then do more QPacks. I'm taking the AAMC unscored tomorrow, reviewing. Then taking the scored upcoming week. I feel fairly confident! I am doing well on CARS and C/P. Focusing on B/B reviewing and P/S (memorizing terms).
I haven't taken the test, but I assume that AAMC content would be more valuable than taking a Kaplan test. I feel that the test prep (especially Kaplan and TPR) are better for preparing you for the timing and mental stamina. I guess I would probably retake AAMC FL. If not, a lot of people have been recommending the section bank. I am going to take the AAMC FL next Monday (my last test) and re-do the section bank Q's.
Hopefully this helps.
This is true. I'm only focusing on AAMC material.
I took the unscored two days ago and didn't look at any of my answers. Then yesterday I literally redid the c/p and bis sections untimed and reviewed them. I would highly recommend this strategy as it helped me realize what my mistakes were and what my thinking process was.
Hey guys, is there some sort of converter for the AAMC unscored available? I'm looking on Google and on this site but I can't really seem to find a reliable conversion equation.
I scored the following:
C/P-75%
CARS-87%
Bio-81%
P/S-81%
If you guys have a general range that is applicable, I'll appreciate that as well!
I scored the following:
C/P-75%
CARS-87%
Bio-81%
P/S-81%
If you guys have a general range that is applicable, I'll appreciate that as well!
Took EK 4 today. 74%. I know the EK tests are hard, but I was hoping to be closer to 80%. The AAMC scored is the only test that I have broken 80th percentile yet. Frustrating. Gonna redo the section banks tomorrow and Sunday. Probably take NS6 on Monday, and that will be my last test
Took EK 4 today. 74%. I know the EK tests are hard, but I was hoping to be closer to 80%. The AAMC scored is the only test that I have broken 80th percentile yet. Frustrating. Gonna redo the section banks tomorrow and Sunday. Probably take NS6 on Monday, and that will be my last test
Not bad... You are putting yourself in a good position for 510+.
iv been getting in between 495-500. and I take it saturday. I dont know if it is enough time to improve. hopefully it is good enough for podiatry.Taking the MCAT on September 10th, who else?
Lets form an awesome support system!
If this has already been created (I searched for a few minutes) someone let me know and I will delete it!
Nice!! Will post my score once I take mine tomorrow/this week! Want to take another FL and some more q bank. Mainly for C/P and B/B now!Scored 518 AAMC scored full length exam (CP 130, CARS 128, BB 130, PS 130). Hoping for the best on Friday! We got this September squad! Let's kick the **** outta this test!
Last edited:
Got a 508 (126, 127, 128, 127) on Kap FL 5 which is the highest I've gotten on any of them - 493 (LOL), 504, 503, 505. Raw percentages of correct answers would be 55%, 75%, 81%, and 72%. Definitely expecting CARS to go down by at least one point on the real thing, so hopefully I can pull up C/P and P/S and maintain B/B. Overall I'm very surprised by my score and it is very close to my goal of 510, so hopefully this last week of studying can bump it up! Will take AAMC scored FL tomorrow (as you guys had suggested for me to do in the first place), review section banks and finish up qpacks throughout the next 4 days. School closing for labor day is saving my life.
Good luck to everyone else this week! Get some rest and stay positive.
Good luck to everyone else this week! Get some rest and stay positive.
Nice!!! I am doing a Kaplan FL tomorrow! C/P is my lowest so far... as well as B/B! Doing a lot of work to try to bump them up! I am fairly strong in CARS and P/S (Scoring 80% and higher) AAMC scored Tuesday then qpacks and reviewing section banks for me. We got this!!! My goal is 510+ (I really like the number 518). Good luck to you!Got a 508 (126, 127, 128, 127) on Kap FL 5 which is the highest I've gotten on any of them - 493 (LOL), 504, 503, 505. Raw percentages of correct answers would be 55%, 75%, 81%, and 72%. Definitely expecting CARS to go down by at least one point on the real thing, so hopefully I can pull up C/P and P/S and maintain B/B. Overall I'm very surprised by my score and it is very close to my goal of 510, so hopefully this last week of studying can bump it up! Will take AAMC scored FL tomorrow (as you guys had suggested for me to do in the first place), review section banks and finish up qpacks throughout the next 4 days. School closing for labor day is saving my life.
Good luck to everyone else this week! Get some rest and stay positive.
Nice!!! I am doing a Kaplan FL tomorrow! C/P is my lowest so far... as well as B/B! Doing a lot of work to try to bump them up! I am fairly strong in CARS and P/S (Scoring 80% and higher) AAMC scored Tuesday then qpacks and reviewing section banks for me. We got this!!! My goal is 510+ (I really like the number 518). Good luck to you!
Thank you!! A 518 is impossible for me but I hope you get that score or whichever score you need to get into the schools you're looking at 🙂
Thank you! I hope you do as well 🙂Thank you!! A 518 is impossible for me but I hope you get that score or whichever score you need to get into the schools you're looking at 🙂
Anyone have any last minute timing advice... I feel like I am finishing sections super fast hahahah! I'm trying to focus on getting through the test much slower so I don't feel rushed but idk
Scored 513 (127, 131, 128, 127) on AAMC scored. Slightly inflated because I took the exam once in the beginning of June, but never revised it, so not sure exactly what to make of it but I feel pretty okay about all this, for once
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Anyone have any last minute timing advice... I feel like I am finishing sections super fast hahahah! I'm trying to focus on getting through the test much slower so I don't feel rushed but idk
I feel you! I personally don't think reading/answering fast is necessarily bad unless you notice you're making easy mistakes. I'd suggest assigning yourself a set amount of time for each passage/q's (7-8 mins) and you have to spend that much time on that particular passage/ q's.
Well, We are about 4 days out till the big test day.
Anyone else take EK FLs? Ive been scoring from 50-55% on all of them, and don't know how they would translate to the real deal. Ive been going up slowly. Started at 50%, then 52, then 53, and finally 55.
Hoping to score at least a 500. Higher obviously better, but I wanna be realistic. Taking the AAMC full length tomorrow and planning on reviewing that and making sociology notecards up until test day.
Anyone else take EK FLs? Ive been scoring from 50-55% on all of them, and don't know how they would translate to the real deal. Ive been going up slowly. Started at 50%, then 52, then 53, and finally 55.
Hoping to score at least a 500. Higher obviously better, but I wanna be realistic. Taking the AAMC full length tomorrow and planning on reviewing that and making sociology notecards up until test day.
Scored 513 (127, 131, 128, 127) on AAMC scored. Slightly inflated because I took the exam once in the beginning of June, but never revised it, so not sure exactly what to make of it but I feel pretty okay about all this, for once
I did the same thing, scored 509 (127, 124, 130, 128) though! I think it helps to see how you were thinking during the exam and also see if you have corrected some mistakes you may have made last time. Some stuff, I still couldn't figure out and that's totally okay because I know I won't know every single thing. All in all, doesn't hurt to re-do AAMC material!
Just took the AAMC scored as well, got a 510 (130, 127, 127, 126). I've gotten my best C/P score yet although I think its because the content was stuff I know better.
Did any of you guys think the P/S section was weirdly hard? Some passages were kinda hard to decipher and interpret data from.
Also, I've gone through all the AAMC questions banks and redid Chem, Physics, Pysch/Social this past weekend. I'm planning to now just review this exam/content I missed, the Kaplan Quicksheets & flashcards I've made, but any other last week studying tips?
Did any of you guys think the P/S section was weirdly hard? Some passages were kinda hard to decipher and interpret data from.
Also, I've gone through all the AAMC questions banks and redid Chem, Physics, Pysch/Social this past weekend. I'm planning to now just review this exam/content I missed, the Kaplan Quicksheets & flashcards I've made, but any other last week studying tips?
So I just took the AAMC scored. 496 (124/125/124/123), target score was a 500. Anyone have any advice? My lowest section was Psych/Soc.
This is good news compared to my last MCAT. I originally scored a 490, so Im up six points. Any way to get 4 more additional points? Is there a curve?
This is good news compared to my last MCAT. I originally scored a 490, so Im up six points. Any way to get 4 more additional points? Is there a curve?