*Official Should I Retake the Dat/Prereqs? Do I Stand a Chance? thread*

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

keving

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Well I guess the title is self-explanatory, but here it goes. If you're in any way unsure about your chances, need some encouragement/advice, and plan to (re)apply for the 2008 cycle, post here! Let me kick this off.

Case #001

Canadian
Cum GPA: 3.79 (this will drop by next year to around 3.65)
Sci GPA: 3.74 (again, will drop by a comparable amount)
cDAT 19TS/ 22RC/ 20AA/ 21PAT/ 30Carving
Miscellaneous job shadowing and dental assisting work

My main question is, should I retake the DATs, considering it's only offered in mid-November or mid-Feb (right in the middle of midterms, argh!), and how many schools should I aim to apply to? What else should I do to boost my chances? Thanks guys.

Members don't see this ad.

Well I guess the title is self-explanatory, but here it goes. If you're in any way unsure about your chances, need some encouragement/advice, and plan to (re)apply for the 2008 cycle, post here! Let me kick this off.

Case #001

Canadian

My main question is, should I retake the DATs, considering it's only offered in mid-November or mid-Feb (right in the middle of midterms, argh!), and how many schools should I aim to apply to? What else should I do to boost my chances? Thanks guys.
I am not really all that sure how the whole system works for Canadians, but your DAT score looks competitive to me. I wouldn't worry about them. Your GPA looks good even with the estimated drop. Just have faith. You'll be okay. If anything more shadowing can't hurt. Are you a re-applicant?

Thanks for the encouragement. Yeah I'm a re-applicant. I tried applying this cycle without my bachelor's yet, just to test the waters. I applied really late, and only to 4 schools, hence the lack of results. I think the Canadian DAT scores are comparable to American DAT's, but I'm not too sure! (Hence the stress :p)

Members don't see this ad :)
Why would you worry with those marks? I had a much lower gpa than you and I still managed to get an interview. I see you went to York... you applying to UofT or Western or you sticking to only american schools?

i'm canadian and got into case with similar dat scores and a lower gpa than a 3.65

Case #001

Canadian

Try to apply to American schools..I have low gpa and low dat score than you..i got interviews from Nova and NYU..your scores are cometitive, just try to apply early..

My advice . . . research the schools you plan to apply to. You could increase your chances just by being knowledgeable.

Some examples: sending Canadian DAT scores to schools that only accept US DAT, applying to state schools that only accept a fraction from out of state, applying to schools where you don't meet their science pre-requisites.

Do your best to match yourself to the schools where you have the highest chance of being accepted. I'm always amazed by those who just blindly apply without finding out first if they would be a good fit for that school. You can increase your chances and save a lot of money by being smart about the application process.

Good luck!

Hey guys,
I tried applying to UofT, UWO, and UBC this year, however I got a nice pre-interview rejection e-mail from two of the three already. UofT said that the average GPA of interviewed students is 3.88. 3.88!!! RIDICULOUS! Anyways, I'm planning to thoroughly research which schools I have the highest chances at, and apply to around 15 schools. That should about do it.

P.S. other people can post their situation on this thread too. I made this thread so that there aren't 203210 threads floating around out there basically asking the same thing.... peer-evaluation.

Hey guys,
I tried applying to UofT, UWO, and UBC this year, however I got a nice pre-interview rejection e-mail from two of the three already. UofT said that the average GPA of interviewed students is 3.88. 3.88!!! RIDICULOUS! Anyways, I'm planning to thoroughly research which schools I have the highest chances at, and apply to around 15 schools. That should about do it.

P.S. other people can post their situation on this thread too. I made this thread so that there aren't 203210 threads floating around out there basically asking the same thing.... peer-evaluation.

UofT is crazy hard to get into, I graduated from UofT and honestly I did not like the school and wouldn't go there even if I had the marks (which I most certainly do not!). Being a Canadian applicant I found that you have a much better chance at private schools rather state instutuitions since private dont care about state residency and all that.
Anyways best of luck to you.

Nov 27:p Yeah, I know, I'm stupid.

Nov 27:p Yeah, I know, I'm stupid.
I noticed you interviewed at Case, if you applied in June/July, you would've most likely been accepted somewhere December 1. Your DATs are pretty damn good, and yes... 3.88 is pretty ridiculous for the ppl they interview (but you can get into Toronto after 3rd year unlike Western, plus its the double cohort year, which explains a lot). I wouldn't limit yourself to ALL privates, if you find a really good state program, you might as well try and see what happens.