Forum Members Official "Should I Retake?" Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

QofQuimica

Seriously, dude, I think you're overreacting....
Moderator Emeritus
Lifetime Donor
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
EDIT 12/21/18: This thread is being retired, as the majority of posts (>80 pages) pertain to the old MCAT that is no longer relevant to current applicants. You can find the current "Should I Retake" thread here: Forum Members - Should I Retake the MCAT?

For those of you who are trying to figure out whether you should re-take, this is the thread for you. Post your dilemma here if you want advice from other SDN folks. Please note that you should take the opinions you get from SDN as one source of advice; you would be wise to also consult your premed advisor before making this decision. Here is my personal advice for those considering whether to re-take:

Definitely DO retake:
-if you scored below a 24. Some allopathic schools will screen out students with scores lower than 24, which is about the mean score for all test-takers.
-if you had some kind of major problem during the test that affected your performance (ex. you started puking or running a 102 degree temperature)
-if you took the test without completing the four pre-reqs (one year each of biology, chemistry, physics, and organic) and/or without studying for it
-if you left large numbers of questions blank​

Definitely do NOT retake:
-if you scored a 30 or better, especially if all of your individual section scores were an 8 or better
-if your section subscores (the numerical ones) are all good, but you didn't perform well on the writing section (the letter score)

Gray area-it's not obvious what to do:
-if you scored 30+ but with one section below an 8
-if you had some minor nuisances (ex. a noisy test room) during the test and you're not sure if it affected your performance
-if you studied thoroughly for the test and you scored within the range of your practice exams, but your score is in the middle range (24-29)​

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 4 users
I posted this on the score thread, figured i'd get more input here.

9 VR
10 PS
11 BS
Writing Sample M:confused:
Total: 30M

What do you guys think, practice scores were between 28-32. 28s on AAMC and ~30 on Kaplan. But I never practiced the writing sample, and I guessed it showed. Do you think it'll be a problem? What about a 9 VR? Should I retake? I don't plan on it, but I would like some input if possible

Don't sweat the WS score, it's doesn't matter much. Write good essays. Your VR score isn't bad. You scored within your range of practice scores. I wouldn't advise retaking, at least not with the current range of practice scores that you have. There is a probability that scores can go down on a retake; I wouldn't risk it unless you think you can score considerably higher, or really goofed up on the test. Besides, your score is already decent.

Hey everyone, this is my first time posting at SDN. I need some advice. I just got my results back from the May 31st MCAT and I got a 26O 10-VR,8-BS, 8-PS. I am from Montana and unfortunately we do not have an in state med school so I have to apply to private or go through WICHE/WWAMI. This is def on the low end of my practice scores (27-31) and I know I need to retake because of the two 8's in the sciences. I was typically scoring 9-10 in the sciences. Would it be worth it to study up and take an August exam or should I just wait until next year? Oh yeah my GPA is 3.82 and science is 3.77 and I have all of the usual EC's.

PS: 9
VR: 9
WS: Q
BS:11
Total: 29Q

I can't decide what to do.. I'm not that happy with this score, but I don't know if I would improve if I take it again. I have a 3.7 gpa.. should I just go ahead and apply and see what happens? :scared:

Members don't see this ad :)
Sorry here's some more info about me
9 VR
10 PS
11 BS
Writing Sample M

GPA - Very high. 3.95 science (only 1 B in calculus)
Very good clinical exposure/volunteering
Okay ECs (clubs, etc.)
Good LORs
and applying in Texas only.

I'm fairly sure i'm not going to retake, but just want some input none the less. And thanks spice for your advice.

PS: 9
BS:11
Total: 29Q

I can't decide what to do.. I'm not that happy with this score, but I don't know if I would improve if I take it again. I have a 3.7 gpa.. should I just go ahead and apply and see what happens? :scared:

I'm in a similar situation, and I would advise that you go ahead with the application. Also, what score would you be happy with?

Hey everyone, this is my first time posting at SDN. I need some advice. I just got my results back from the May 31st MCAT and I got a 26O 10-VR,8-BS, 8-PS. I am from Montana and unfortunately we do not have an in state med school so I have to apply to private or go through WICHE/WWAMI. This is def on the low end of my practice scores (27-31) and I know I need to retake because of the two 8's in the sciences. I was typically scoring 9-10 in the sciences. Would it be worth it to study up and take an August exam or should I just wait until next year? Oh yeah my GPA is 3.82 and science is 3.77 and I have all of the usual EC's.

if your score is less than many of your practice tests (I am in the same boat I got a 28 on may 16th and i had been avg. 32-34 on my practice tests) then I would buckle down and study for a couple more weeks and retake in august. You have an awesome gpa and all the other stuff so, don't let it get you down too much I know how scoring less than you wanted to can be quite hard to swallow but after the initial frustration, you start looking at the mcat in a totally different light...good luck to you in whatever way you choose..

Oh yeah if you're doing research or something and you have a decent reason to take a 5th year of undergrad I would go for it! Contrary to popular belief we have tons of time left in our lives. I switched to pre-med very late (start of junior year) and so I obviously have some classes to take but in the light that I have a good reason to stay for a 5th year I have decided to wait until next spring sometime to retake

I'm in a similar boat and I'm actually pretty ok with my scores...

9Vr
10PS
11Bio
Q-Writing

but i've seen some posts alluding to the fact that Canadian schools may put more emphasis on verbal scores. Is this true and can someone comment on what range of verbal scores are acceptable North of the border???

much obliged

I'm in a similar situation, and I would advise that you go ahead with the application. Also, what score would you be happy with?

I would be happy with a 31 or higher.. I was getting 10s and above on both PS and VR on the AAMC practices, so I'm a little upset. I am also from Texas, do you think this score will get me into a Texas school?

And as far as your scores go, I think your GPA is really good and you should definitely apply with the scores you have.

9 VR
10 PS
11 BS
Writing Sample M

Okay ECs (clubs, etc.)
Good LORs

I'm fairly sure i'm not going to retake, but just want some input none the less. And thanks spice for your advice.

I definitely wouldn't retake with that score then. The two science scores are probably right at the avg scores for all texas schools and your gpa is down right phenomenal

Okay, I need some help in deciding whether to re-take. My problem is that my score is not balanced and I think my VR score will probably screen me out at some schools:

PS = 11
VR = 7
BS = 14
WS = P

I'm asking only because I know someone from my graduate program who got a 14 PS, 14 BS, 7 VR and got screened out of a lot of places, and he rocked the sciences. HELP!

PS - 12
VR - 6
BS - 12
WS - M
30M

3.5 GPA :(
EC - nothing spectacular: EMT, ~200 hrs volunteer, clubs, and a semester of research, ran a business for a few years.

Verbal has always sucked for me, but when I took the actual MCAT, the passages were super hard for me. If I retook it, I don't know if I could improve that much, if at all. Also, the writing is something I hate. ARGHHHHHHHH. I'm so pissed right now!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

also thinking about retaking.

VR 11
PS 10
BS 10
WS N

31N

GPA 3.78
Moderate volunteering, many hours working as a doc assistant (clinical and research) but will not have a pub until next year.

I will probalby start primaries this week, prefer to get into a CA medschool. I know these scores are below avg for CA schools. Should i retake in sept?

I entered the exam thinking i was way underprepared and was going to cancel the score. At the end of the test I didnt feel great but chose to keep them anyway. I think I just didnt want to go through the process again. Thanks for your help.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi, everyone,

I would really appreciate your feedback

PS 8
VR 10
BS 10
W R
Total 28R

I have a 3.4 overall and 3.7 science - should I retake to be competitive at allopathic schools?

I was scoring a little higher on both PS and VR on my practice exams.

Thanks!
IUgrad

Okay, I need some help in deciding whether to re-take. My problem is that my score is not balanced and I think my VR score will probably screen me out at some schools:

PS = 11
VR = 7
BS = 14
WS = P

I'm asking only because I know someone from my graduate program who got a 14 PS, 14 BS, 7 VR and got screened out of a lot of places, and he rocked the sciences. HELP!

Usually with a 32 I would not suggest a retry, but I have seen your practice scores and think you can top a 35. If you want to apply to any top tier schools that 7 will stick out. With other good things counted in, you probably can get accepted to an in-state school though. Depends on you but I would...

Take it again!

PS - 12
VR - 6
BS - 12
WS - M
30M

3.5 GPA :(
EC - nothing spectacular: EMT, ~200 hrs volunteer, clubs, and a semester of research, ran a business for a few years.

Verbal has always sucked for me, but when I took the actual MCAT, the passages were super hard for me. If I retook it, I don't know if I could improve that much, if at all. Also, the writing is something I hate. ARGHHHHHHHH. I'm so pissed right now!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Talk to the schools you really want to attend. That 6 may be a problem but the other sections are great. They could advise you the best.

Usually with a 32 I would not suggest a retry, but I have seen your practice scores and think you can top a 35. If you want to apply to any top tier schools that 7 will stick out. With other good things counted in, you probably can get accepted to an in-state school though. Depends on you but I would...

Take it again!

I'm glad you've re-affirmed my decision to re-take. I know a 32 is not bad and many people would be thrilled to get a 32, but it's more a balance issue than anything else. This is the first time I've ever scored lower than a 9 on VR, and unfortunately it was on the one that counted.

I posted this on the other thread & spicedmamma already replied - THANK YOU!!

31N for me :( - I'm definitely up for the retake on July24th but for all those waiting around for scores - they're UP!!!

12PS 10BS 9VR <- *cries*

I definitely want to retake & I FEEL like I can get better (especially in BS 'cus I didn't go in feeling all too prepared) - but I don't know if that's just a dream 'cus I was averaging about a 33 in practice tests. I'm also not the most conscientious person when it comes to maintaining a study plan so no guarantees that I will be able to focus more & get better prep in.

Last time I started with a month in hand to study, wasted 2weeks & then got some major studying (5hrs/day 7days/wk) in for 2 more weeks... I'm scheduled for July24th & that's not much longer in terms of study time... I know I can delay till August & maybe that's the smartest thing to do..

Hi, everyone,

I would really appreciate your feedback

PS 8
VR 10
BS 10
W R
Total 28R

I have a 3.4 overall and 3.7 science - should I retake to be competitive at allopathic schools?

I was scoring a little higher on both PS and VR on my practice exams.

Thanks!
IUgrad

If you felt like you went in prepared & didn't feel like some horendous disaster happened @ the testing center, you shouldn't retake - the 8PS is a little low but your BCMP seems like it's right on point with average.

So really, I'd retake if I could be sure my preparation level would go up before the next exam

PS:10
VR:10
BS:9
WS:O

29O overall

I already signed up to retake ok August 9th. My practice scores ranged from 29-34, but I think I burned myself out with studying leading up to the test, cause my practice test scored were going down towards the end. I never scored lower than a 10 on BS on all the practice AAMC's, so I'm kinda ticked about that. GPA is crappy (3.2 overall, 3.1Science) but that is because of my U-grad in engineering. have a 3.85 in post-bac (~50 units). I really think I have to retake, would have been content with 31+ but having a score starting with a 2 kinda worries me. Any thoughts?

PS:10
VR:10
BS:9
WS:O

29O overall

I already signed up to retake ok August 9th. My practice scores ranged from 29-34, but I think I burned myself out with studying leading up to the test, cause my practice test scored were going down towards the end. I never scored lower than a 10 on BS on all the practice AAMC's, so I'm kinda ticked about that. GPA is crappy (3.2 overall, 3.1Science) but that is because of my U-grad in engineering. have a 3.85 in post-bac (~50 units). I really think I have to retake, would have been content with 31+ but having a score starting with a 2 kinda worries me. Any thoughts?

While generally a 29 is good to go, given your low overall and science gpa, I think it's a good idea to retake since your practices were 29-34, and you were trending down from burn out near the real thing and feel you could do better. Then again, if you're aiming for DO rather than MD, you might be ok given your great gpa upward trend with the post-bac. Good luck.

Ok, this is my insanely ******ed question. I got a 22 and here is my deal. I am a URM that is economically disadvantaged. I hate to sound like a prick but I have heard it both ways. Yes, I know this is something that most people don't want to be hearing about but nevertheless it is what it is. I have heard not to take it again and just apply. Obviously I would be applying to schools like Ponce, Howard and a few others but is my score really an end all to applying?

The argument is this. While there are a lot of people here on SDN that have great scores and money to throw around if scores are sub-par, i.e. getting a 32 and retaking, etc. I am not in that capacity. I am an older student that has went through a career change. Again, this is something that is known for non-trads. My advice was to apply because waiting for August MCAT and thus scores in another month could prove worse per se if I only get a 26 or 28. I really don't know what to do but for anyone in my situation or knowledgable on the subject any advice would be overly appreciated.

May 31st 2007: 30M

P: 11
V:8 :scared:
B: 11
W: M :confused:

Aug 2006: 25Q
P:8
V:8
B:9
W:Q

Absolutely no improvement in verbal!! I don't know whether to consider retake, because I feel I'm already late in the application cycle. Averaged 28-33 in practice exams. My performance in verbal varies, I can either to do well or just bomb it. I am also an international student. My BCMP GPA is 3.73 and overall GPA is 3.81. EC's include research (1.5 yrs), volunteer at ER (200hrs +), shadowing experiences, tutor for gen chem, tutor high school student, fellowship award and clubs. What are my chances at George Washington, Georgetown, Rosalind Franklin, Boston, Albany, Albert Einstein, New York, Penn State, Texan A&M, University of Texas? Should I add or remove any schools? Also, do universities take the average MCAT score or just the last MCAT score??

Thank you for any feedback!!!!

Absolutely no improvement in verbal!! I don't know whether to consider retake, because I feel I'm already late in the application cycle. Averaged 28-33 in practice exams.

You hit right around your average, and if VR fluctuates for you, I would not consider retaking. Your sciences may go up/down by a point, but if you decrease in VR, you'll have a tougher battle! It's a good score, apply and move on.

Absolutely no improvement in verbal!! I don't know whether to consider retake, because I feel I'm already late in the application cycle. Averaged 28-33 in practice exams. My performance in verbal varies, I can either to do well or just bomb it. I am also an international student. My BCMP GPA is 3.73 and overall GPA is 3.81. EC's include research (1.5 yrs), volunteer at ER (200hrs +), shadowing experiences, tutor for gen chem, tutor high school student, fellowship award and clubs. What are my chances at George Washington, Georgetown, Rosalind Franklin, Boston, Albany, Albert Einstein, New York, Penn State, Texan A&M, University of Texas? Should I add or remove any schools? Also, do universities take the average MCAT score or just the last MCAT score??

Thank you for any feedback!!!!

You have decent stats. 8 is not evil and bad in Verbal contrary to belief. 6 or below is probably the worst. Most people can slide by with a 8 or sometimes a 7 if the other scores are high.

BOTTOM LINE: DO NOT RETAKE!!!!!!!!

Disclaimer: Caps is for emphasis not yelling. ;)

9 VR
10 PS
11 BS
Writing Sample M

Okay ECs (clubs, etc.)
Good LORs

I think you have a good shot especially being a Tx. resident. I'd not retake it if I were you.

31T:

VR-6
PS-12
BS-13
WR-T

3.87 total/3.8 science
3 years research
almost a publication
EMT

Will this 6 hurt me greatly? I've signed up for a future test date (in 5 weeks).

31T:

VR-6
PS-12
BS-13
WR-T

3.87 total/3.8 science
3 years research
almost a publication
EMT

Will this 6 hurt me greatly? I've signed up for a future test date (in 5 weeks).

If it was 7 or above, I'd not retake it, but with a 6 retaking it is not a bad idea. Good luck. I always recommend trying the EK strategy and using EK 101 and AAMC tests's verbal portion.

Ok, this is my insanely ******ed question. I got a 22 and here is my deal. I am a URM that is economically disadvantaged. I hate to sound like a prick but I have heard it both ways. Yes, I know this is something that most people don't want to be hearing about but nevertheless it is what it is. I have heard not to take it again and just apply. Obviously I would be applying to schools like Ponce, Howard and a few others but is my score really an end all to applying?

The argument is this. While there are a lot of people here on SDN that have great scores and money to throw around if scores are sub-par, i.e. getting a 32 and retaking, etc. I am not in that capacity. I am an older student that has went through a career change. Again, this is something that is known for non-trads. My advice was to apply because waiting for August MCAT and thus scores in another month could prove worse per se if I only get a 26 or 28. I really don't know what to do but for anyone in my situation or knowledgable on the subject any advice would be overly appreciated.

I'd retake it if you think you can improve. But if you feel you won't improve then I'd try to see if you can get into the HBC universities like Howard, Meharry, and so forth. If you still don't get in retake it again and apply to GEMS in the meanwhile.

I would really appreciate your opinion with my stats...

April 2007: MCAT 25M (V6/B9/P10)
May 2008: MCAT 28O (V6/B10/P12) :(

I'm disappointed that I couldn't improve my verbal :(

science GPA: 3.85
overall GPA: 3.75
CA resident *ouch*

Good LORs, TA, 250+volunteer hrs, certified family planning counselor, etc..

Thanks in advance!

what should I do..

PS 12
VR 08
BS 11
WS L

Overall 31L..

I am applying for dual degree (MD/PhD)???????

Copied from above:

31T:

VR-6
PS-12
BS-13
WR-T

3.87 total/3.8 science
3 years research
almost a publication
EMT

I'm also applying dual degree.. I'm signed up to take it again August 14, but I'll have my primaries in before then.

Is this too late of an admission for dual degree? With less people applying, perhaps an early submission is not as important?

What say you guys?

Copied from above:

31T:

VR-6
PS-12
BS-13
WR-T

3.87 total/3.8 science
3 years research
almost a publication
EMT

I'm also applying dual degree.. I'm signed up to take it again August 14, but I'll have my primaries in before then.

Is this too late of an admission for dual degree? With less people applying, perhaps an early submission is not as important?

What say you guys?

Well, here's the thing: your sciences are ridiculously high to start with. VR is sadly the hardest score to raise (not that it can't be done -

If the 6 is a lot lower than your VR, I'd definitely retake. But if it's about what you were getting in practice, I'd take some time to get my VR down as well as I possibly could. Also, you should keep in mind that your science score has greater probability of going down (especially if you keep your focus on VR & don't review science quite as much).

I'd take a look @ this thread:
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?p=5177126#post5177126

See if you can improve your VR without compromising your sciences too much. GOODLUCK!!

what should I do..

PS 12
VR 08
BS 11
WS L

Overall 31L..

I am applying for dual degree (MD/PhD)???????

You & I are in similar unfortunate boats. (Well, I'm not applying to MD/PhD - I just a ridiculously low GPA so a 31 isn't going to cut it for me). I'm retaking.

Is that 8VR about what you were getting in practice MCATs?

If you have a ridiculously low GPA, a 40 on the MCATs probably won't make a 2.8 any prettier than a 2.8. If you mean low as in 3.4 or 3.3 then yes you shoudl retake and aim high.

I knew a kid at hopkins with a 3.4 and got a 37 on his mcats. that got him an interview at harvard, but ofcourse didn't get in. He got into NYU and Einstein. So how low we talking?

Well, here's the thing: your sciences are ridiculously high to start with. VR is sadly the hardest score to raise (not that it can't be done -

If the 6 is a lot lower than your VR, I'd definitely retake. But if it's about what you were getting in practice, I'd take some time to get my VR down as well as I possibly could. Also, you should keep in mind that your science score has greater probability of going down (especially if you keep your focus on VR & don't review science quite as much).

I'd take a look @ this thread:
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?p=5177126#post5177126

See if you can improve your VR without compromising your sciences too much. GOODLUCK!!

Thanks. I was getting 9-10's on the verbal section, but somehow got screwed on this MCAT (see threads on the May 31st test). I've planned a retake in Aug. 14. Hope that helps.. :confused:

If you have a ridiculously low GPA, a 40 on the MCATs probably won't make a 2.8 any prettier than a 2.8. If you mean low as in 3.4 or 3.3 then yes you shoudl retake and aim high.

I knew a kid at hopkins with a 3.4 and got a 37 on his mcats. that got him an interview at harvard, but ofcourse didn't get in. He got into NYU and Einstein. So how low we talking?

yea - I have 2.7 out of two Utah schools combined (I had one REALLY bad semester of like 20 credit hours (all Fs) & lots of other just so-so (B average) ones) - I'm not even going to bother applying to most schools but there is one specific school that I'm applying to where my mom works as a Professor in the pharmacy dept; she knows a lot of the adcom for the adjoined Medschool.

They don't have a cut-off GPA or MCAT. Plus, I know they have have accepted some people with less than 2.5 GPA before (I don't know how their ECs looked), but they had really high MCAT score. So I'm keeping my fingers crossed & taking the test again come July24th :).

yea - I have 2.7 out of two Utah schools combined (I had one REALLY bad semester of like 20 credit hours (all Fs) & lots of other just so-so (B average) ones) - I'm not even going to bother applying to most schools but there is one specific school that I'm applying to where my mom works as a Professor in the pharmacy dept; she knows a lot of the adcom for the adjoined Medschool.

They don't have a cut-off GPA or MCAT. Plus, I know they have have accepted some people with less than 2.5 GPA before (I don't know how their ECs looked), but they had really high MCAT score. So I'm keeping my fingers crossed & taking the test again come July24th :).

My advice to you is to do a postbac or Special Masters Program. Your MCAT score clearly shows you have the capability to do well. So now it is up to you to show you can do well through a masters program or postbac of some sort and then apply. It can be done.

You & I are in similar unfortunate boats. (Well, I'm not applying to MD/PhD - I just a ridiculously low GPA so a 31 isn't going to cut it for me). I'm retaking.

Is that 8VR about what you were getting in practice MCATs?

Actually I was getting 10-12 on VR in my practice tests... I don't know what happened in this one..

Copied from above:

31T:

VR-6
PS-12
BS-13
WR-T

3.87 total/3.8 science
3 years research
almost a publication
EMT

What say you guys?

it's the 6 in VR .. that 6 is just such a critical blow to an otherwise nearly flawless application profile. If that 6 were a 10, then now you're talking .. I'd suggest a retake.

My advice to you is to do a postbac or Special Masters Program. Your MCAT score clearly shows you have the capability to do well. So now it is up to you to show you can do well through a masters program or postbac of some sort and then apply. It can be done.

I'll probably end up doing an SMP or post-bacc somewhere @ the end of the day & end up having to reapply for 2009. All the same, I'm trying to raise my MCAT a bit & putting in an application to my mom's school - who knows, I might get lucky & nepotism might do it :). Hehe...

I feel I should share this story with you guys 'cus I just thought it was funny: one of my family friends is on the adcom for a Pharmacy school. His wife has a Doctorate in Economics & absolutely NO science background. She got into the pharmacy school without taking any prerequisite science classes or the PCAT. Now, she's doing just fine in Pharm school & will graduate soon :).

10PS
8VR
7BS :(
R WS
Applying to strictly D.O.
3.4 GPA

Should I retake? Thanks for the help.

Ok so here goes - this is my first post on SDN but i've been reading them for a while.

I am a nova scotia resident and applying to canadian schools but just wanted to see what people thought about my MCAT scores and chances...

May 31st MCAT:
7 PS
10 VR
10 BS
R - writing

I have taken the MCAT before and have improved in BS and VR but can't bring up the PS score no matter how much I study. My GPA is quite good - 3.95/4.1 (science), overall 3.89/4.1. I have tons of ECs: varsity sports, international volunteer, national awards and scholarships. BUt I think my MCAT score may be a problem. Any thoughts on how this may affect my applications and if I have a good chance at an interview?

So I took the May 31st MCAT and was pretty pleased to see today that I at least got the magical 30S (PS-11, VR-10, BS-9, WS-S). I was pleased because I didn't feel like it had gone very well, and I had stupidly taken the test last year when I was unprepared and sick (21Q). I'd really like to get some opinions on whether or not I should retake (I've already signed up for August 20).

I am from NH, so for in state schools all I have is Dartmouth, which just happens to be my dream school that I would love to go to. I know my MCAT isn't all that competitive for Dartmouth, but I have a 3.96 GPA at an average school and good ECs (however not much clinical experience). I'd love to go to Dartmouth but would be happy with going to any school in New England or New York. So should I just take the rest of the summer to finish my AMCAS and work on my secondaries, or give the MCAT another shot in August and try to get up to a 33 or so. Any advice??

Thanks

Hey in-state competition :p If you were getting 33's or above on AAMC practice tests then you should retake if you're really gunning for Dartmouth. Differences between a 30 and a 35 are a lot bigger to the adcom's eye than between something like a 35 and 40 if they go by the scales. But a 3rd time might hurt a lot more than it could help if you don't cowboy up.

I know this thread said not to retake the MCAT if you receive a 30 and an 8 or better on each section...but I received my 8 in Bio (12 VR, 10 PS) and SUNY downstate (not a school with super high score average at all) told me that I should think about retaking my MCAT when I called the admissions office. I was thinking about applying there early decision, but now I am really worried. I have a 3.7 GPA, with a 3.6 science and good EC's/volunteer experience. I know bio is the section most pre-meds do well in so I do not know what to do. Has anyone gotten into med school with an 8 in bio here?

Hopefully people still read this thread:

Anyway I took the 5/31 test here are my scores:

PS: 12
BS:12
T: 33Q

If it was not for that 9 in VR I would not consider retaking. VR has always been my weak spot. I could probably get a 10 on a retake, but It is likely that I could drop in the science sections. Is it worth it to retake just to get an extra point in verbal at the risk of getting a lower score in BS or PS? I'm trying to get into an NYC school.
GPA: 4.0
500+ volunteer hours.
Any advice would be great! :)

29P -

PS - 11
VR - 7
WS - P
BS - 11

Cum GPA - 3.4
Science GPA - 3.9

Lots of volunteer, Lots of work experience.

Do you think I should retake? Texas resident trying to get into UTMB Galveston or UT San Antonio.

Hopefully people still read this thread:

Anyway I took the 5/31 test here are my scores:

PS: 12
BS:12
T: 33Q

If it was not for that 9 in VR I would not consider retaking. VR has always been my weak spot. I could probably get a 10 on a retake, but It is likely that I could drop in the science sections. Is it worth it to retake just to get an extra point in verbal at the risk of getting a lower score in BS or PS? I'm trying to get into an NYC school.
GPA: 4.0
500+ volunteer hours.
Any advice would be great! :)

I would definitely advise against retaking. Your score looks great, especially for NYC schools. Just go with it. You'll definitely have some good options.

I scored 29P, with 11/7/11 breakdown. VR kills...I'm applying but I'm really concerned about VR...what I wouldn't give to just spread out my scores some.

Status
Not open for further replies.