Forum Members Official "Should I Retake?" Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

QofQuimica

Seriously, dude, I think you're overreacting....
Moderator Emeritus
Lifetime Donor
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
EDIT 12/21/18: This thread is being retired, as the majority of posts (>80 pages) pertain to the old MCAT that is no longer relevant to current applicants. You can find the current "Should I Retake" thread here: Forum Members - Should I Retake the MCAT?

For those of you who are trying to figure out whether you should re-take, this is the thread for you. Post your dilemma here if you want advice from other SDN folks. Please note that you should take the opinions you get from SDN as one source of advice; you would be wise to also consult your premed advisor before making this decision. Here is my personal advice for those considering whether to re-take:

Definitely DO retake:
-if you scored below a 24. Some allopathic schools will screen out students with scores lower than 24, which is about the mean score for all test-takers.
-if you had some kind of major problem during the test that affected your performance (ex. you started puking or running a 102 degree temperature)
-if you took the test without completing the four pre-reqs (one year each of biology, chemistry, physics, and organic) and/or without studying for it
-if you left large numbers of questions blank​

Definitely do NOT retake:
-if you scored a 30 or better, especially if all of your individual section scores were an 8 or better
-if your section subscores (the numerical ones) are all good, but you didn't perform well on the writing section (the letter score)

Gray area-it's not obvious what to do:
-if you scored 30+ but with one section below an 8
-if you had some minor nuisances (ex. a noisy test room) during the test and you're not sure if it affected your performance
-if you studied thoroughly for the test and you scored within the range of your practice exams, but your score is in the middle range (24-29)​

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 4 users
I got a 31S, with an 11 in verbal, 10 in BS and PS. I know a lot of people would mug me if for a score like this, but I want to be competitive at some of the top schools in New England, where I have some family (I am a Louisiana resident currently).

I took the test without having had physics or organic chemistry. I studied heavily for physics and g-chem, since I thought that would help the most. On my practice tests, I brought my PS scores up from 6 and 7 to 10, 11, and 12, so I was hoping for another point or two on the real thing.

I am a biology-psychology double major, so I didn't study much for biology - I just hoped that having had physiology and histology and evolution right before the test would help. I looked over organic for a week before the test, and actually knew some of the questions, but most of them I had to just guess on. Anyway, I never got above an 8 in BS on the practice tests, so a 10 is a pleasant surprise, but I'm not sure whether I'm likely to bring it up if I study heavily for it before the retake.

Verbal has always ranged from 10-12 for me on the practice tests.

Some of my friends have said that I should only retake it if I am certain that I can bring up at least one or two of my section scores significantly while maintaining the others. Will I really be in a bind if my score goes down?

I know this is a lot of background - bless whoever takes the time to read all of this and offer any advice.

Anyway, thanks much,
Adios

I got a 31S, with an 11 in verbal, 10 in BS and PS. I know a lot of people would mug me if for a score like this, but I want to be competitive at some of the top schools in New England, where I have some family (I am a Louisiana resident currently).

I took the test without having had physics or organic chemistry. I studied heavily for physics and g-chem, since I thought that would help the most. On my practice tests, I brought my PS scores up from 6 and 7 to 10, 11, and 12, so I was hoping for another point or two on the real thing.

I am a biology-psychology double major, so I didn't study much for biology - I just hoped that having had physiology and histology and evolution right before the test would help. I looked over organic for a week before the test, and actually knew some of the questions, but most of them I had to just guess on. Anyway, I never got above an 8 in BS on the practice tests, so a 10 is a pleasant surprise, but I'm not sure whether I'm likely to bring it up if I study heavily for it before the retake.

Some of my friends have said that I should only retake it if I am certain that I can bring up at least one or two of my section scores significantly while maintaining the others. Will I really be in a bind if my score goes down?

I know this is a lot of background - bless whoever takes the time to read all of this and offer any advice.

Anyway, thanks much,
Adios

I was in the same boat when I was thinking about retaking (also got a 31S) and my careers office told me that if I don't score at least 3 points higher and/or I lower my score in any section, med schools may frown on it as a poor decision. Apparently your retakes give them another way to gauge your decision making process, and they want to make sure that you make good judgments on your abilities. If you really think that you can't raise BS or VR any more, then you'll have to raise PS at least 3 points, which is not easy considering that you already got a 10. If you do plan to retake, I would highly recommend that you beef up your BS, which shouldn't be difficult for you as a bio major. Focus on your molecular bio and physiology and you should be able to raise that BS. Combine that with lots of practice on PS. When would you be retaking if you do decide to do so?

Anyway, thanks much,
Adios

After having all the prereqs, you probably can get another point in each science and maybe verbal on a good day. Too risky for me!!!

I say be happy. You can go to medical school with that score and go where you can get in. Personally, I would be thrilled with that score!

Members don't see this ad :)
I know this thread said not to retake the MCAT if you receive a 30 and an 8 or better on each section...but I received my 8 in Bio (12 VR, 10 PS) and SUNY downstate (not a school with super high score average at all) told me that I should think about retaking my MCAT when I called the admissions office. I was thinking about applying there early decision, but now I am really worried. I have a 3.7 GPA, with a 3.6 science and good EC's/volunteer experience. I know bio is the section most pre-meds do well in so I do not know what to do. Has anyone gotten into med school with an 8 in bio here?

What scores were you getting in bio on your practice tests? If you were doing a lot better (10s and above), then I think you should re-take, but if you were getting close to an 8, I think you just apply with the score you have. If you go ahead and apply early with your scores, that will probably be more beneficial than re-taking and postponing your application.

Thanks for the responses.

SnoPearl: Because my score might not be competitive the first time around, I registered for the MCAT on August 9 not long after I took the first one. My plan was to cancel the second exam if my score was competitive, and if it was not competitive, to use the classes I'm taking this summer (physics I and organic I) as well as the time after finals and before the test (about 4 and 1/2 weeks) to study hard.

As J DUB said, I might be able to raise some of my section scores on a good day, but until I took some practice tests and tried to apply the things I've learned or will learn before the test, I can't say for certain that my score will be raised.

The pre-med advisor at my college is new (he just assumed the position from someone who may be going on leave and is now out of touch) and so he was reluctant to say anything about my score or chances at out-of-state schools or more selective private schools.

He told me that my score would be very competitive in state (Louisiana) but that for some of the private schools in the area of New England I might not even get interviews. I was really looking at the University of Pittsburgh, Johns-Hopkins, and University of Pennsylvania. I know the average at these schools is usually closer to 33-36, but I'm not sure how a 31 would hold up. A girl from my college just got on the Johns-Hopkins waiting list with a 31S, but we have very different backgrounds, so I don't want to think that the same MCAT score or GPA will get us the same interviews or letters of acceptance.

Anyway,
Here I go writing a book again.

Thanks again for your responses, and any other advice y'all care to share would be greatly appreciated.

Hey all.
I scored a 30T, but I have been hearing many different things regarding my scores:
VR: 13
PS: 10
BS: 7
WR: T
GPA: 3.83
I know that the BS is the most important part of the test, but I just seemed to do poorly on this test. During practice exams, I got a 9 or so usually. I was thinking of retaking, but I wont have the to do so until August which will delay my application. I am applying to schools with an average of 30 or so, but I am really worried about the 7. I am a chemical engineering major, I served in the Army as a medic, and I have some volunteer/clinical shadowing. Should I retake? thanks.

Hey all.
I scored a 30T, but I have been hearing many different things regarding my scores:
I know that the BS is the most important part of the test, but I just seemed to do poorly on this test. During practice exams, I got a 9 or so usually. I was thinking of retaking, but I wont have the to do so until August which will delay my application. I am applying to schools with an average of 30 or so, but I am really worried about the 7. I am a chemical engineering major, I served in the Army as a medic, and I have some volunteer/clinical shadowing. Should I retake? thanks.

What is your home state? Do you live in a state where there is too much competition, i.e. Cali? Or a state like Pa where its not always the case that people from Pa get the priority at their schools? Or do you live somewhere like Tx or Fl.? Tx and Fl. schools I tend to think would be more forgiving from what I've seen in the past.

Hopefully people still read this thread:

Anyway I took the 5/31 test here are my scores:

PS: 12
VR: 9
BS:12
WS: Q
T: 33Q

If it was not for that 9 in VR I would not consider retaking. VR has always been my weak spot. I could probably get a 10 on a retake, but It is likely that I could drop in the science sections. Is it worth it to retake just to get an extra point in verbal at the risk of getting a lower score in BS or PS? I'm trying to get into an NYC school.
GPA: 4.0
500+ volunteer hours.
Any advice would be great! :)

I don't think a 9 in VR will hurt you. If it was 7 or even worse, less then 7 I'd advise a retake depending on where you are applying.

But a 9 is considered ok and something most schools will not count against you especially since you have strong science scores.

I'd advise you to go ahead and apply to all the NY schools. If your ECs and research activities are strong, I'd say that score could give you a shot at top tier schools as well.

What is your home state? Do you live in a state where there is too much competition, i.e. Cali? Or a state like Pa where its not always the case that people from Pa get the priority at their schools? Or do you live somewhere like Tx or Fl.? Tx and Fl. schools I tend to think would be more forgiving from what I've seen in the past.

I am interested in applying to schools in New York. I am a resident of California, but I haven't lived there in 5 years. I will seek residency in New York for application purposes. From what I have seen, most of the schools in New York do not give priority to their residents anyway as they receive some private funds.

I took the June 13th test. Although i feel as if i could have done worse, i also feel i could have done better and have NO idea on an "estimate" of my scores b/c i think that is a little irrational seeing how it is scaled to other people's performance. I was averaging about a 8/9 PS, 9/10VR, and 8/9 BS...so, about a 28. I am not looking to ever score a 37 or anything crazy like that. However, i do feel like i am right on the edge of REALLY understanding a good bit of the PS subjects that could really increase that score a good bit. I am debating on going ahead and scheduling a retake for a later august date. I am a MS(mississippi) resident, my science gpa isn't stellar at a 3.4. i have a great deal of leadership activities and extra curricular activities and shadowing experiences and good LORs. All in all, i am asking, should i go ahead and keep studying and plan on an august test and if my scores turn out to be good cancel?

thanks

ok so i got my scores from may 31st and was really bummed. i had an aamc test avg of between 32 and 33, with scores going up as my studying progressed, eventually ending with a 37 on aamc 10.

may 31 scores:
9 PS
9 VR
12 BS
M WS :confused:

this was by far lower than i was expecting for everything except bio. this was also a retake for me, my scores from april 06 were similar (9, 9, 11, O). i'm just bummed because i never once scored a 9 on a practice test in ps after taking my last gen chem since my first mcat.. unfortunately, may 31st mcat was 80% physics, my weakest subject. i simply ran out of time to get as in depth into physics as i wanted to because i was still in school until june and biochemistry was owning me.

as far as verbal, i still have no idea where the 9 came from. i thought i did really well in that section, and my aamc avg was an 11.

and the writing sample?? M??? i thought as long as you answered all 3 tasks with decent grammar that you would get at least a P. I seriously have no idea how i got an M, but i've heard it's not worth the time for a regrade.

basically, i'm just bummed. i studied much harder this time and only made a 1 point increase to show for the effort. i got sick a couple days before the mcat, and in retrospect i probably should have postponed the test because i think i was still feeling a little "slow", but i really thought i would have at least pulled 10's or higher in each section so i didn't void it.

am i crazy to think about a retake? i've graduated now, and have NOTHING to do except for a few hours per week of volunteering at the hospital. (i've been looking for a job but with minimal luck so far.) i really feel like i could conquer physics in a few months and rock the exam in september. but then again, who knows with this stupid test, i might get another easy vr set and then get screwed by the curve like i did this time. i guess i'm just disappointed and frustrated because i don't think these two 9's represent my ability, and now it just seems like i've reinforced them since i got the same scores the first time i took the mcat.

other info: i'm a reapp this year after applying late and to all the wrong schools last year, and my gpa is 3.85, bcpm 3.75. planning to submit my app whenever amcas gets my updated transcript (so sometime in the next couple weeks). tons of volunteer & clinical experience, minimal research & leadership though :(

so tell me, is this really unbalanced 30 enough?
(ps, sorry if i sound like a whiny ocd premed... being a reapp just makes you worry about everything 10x more. i know 30 is not a bad score, i just don't know if it's good enough considering my circumstances and knowing i did so much better on practice tests...)

hi. I really don't know if i should retake my mcat. I wanted to apply to schools like NYU but I don't think i'll be able to with my scores.

I scored: verbal:11
physical: 10
bio: 10
ws: Q

My gpa is around 3.7 I transfered from a community college so my gpa for the first two years is insanely high but might not really matter. I'm also from cali. I have no leadership and minimal research work (did women's studies research for a semester). I've been a volunteer at a free clinic for almost a year now and will be shadowing a doctor for a whole semester. I've also done premed programs for the last 2 years.

should I retake the test? or what schools should I apply to?

hi. I really don't know if i should retake my mcat. I wanted to apply to schools like NYU but I don't think i'll be able to with my scores.

I scored: verbal:11
physical: 10
bio: 10
ws: Q

My gpa is around 3.7 I transfered from a community college so my gpa for the first two years is insanely high but might not really matter. I'm also from cali. I have no leadership and minimal research work (did women's studies research for a semester). I've been a volunteer at a free clinic for almost a year now and will be shadowing a doctor for a whole semester. I've also done premed programs for the last 2 years.

should I retake the test? or what schools should I apply to?

If you're willing to go to schools other than "schools like NYU," then I think you definitely shouldn't retake. Especially if a 31 was around your average practice score (is it?). A nicely balanced 31 and a 3.7 gpa should get you in somewhere if you apply broadly, and to schools with average stats near yours. You should be sure to apply broadly out of state since you're a CA resident.

Of course, I think you should still throw in some "schools like NYU," but that's just me. You never know. Northwestern's MCAT avg is 35, and yet a friend of mine got an interview there last year with a balanced 32 MCAT (10 11 11 I think) and around a 3.7 gpa even though she applied relatively late in Sept.

Regardless, I really wouldn't advise retaking unless your practice scores were significantly higher (you know you could always end up doing a point or two worse on a retake), or if you really wouldn't consider going anywhere but "schools like NYU." Good luck.

Members don't see this ad :)
thanks for the advice. I actually just really wanted to live in manhattan , if possible, coz my sister has an apartment there and i didn't want to pay for rent. teehheee but i don't know. I guess i could still try to get into "schools like NYu" with my mcat score. Also, I actually got lower scores on my practice exams but i did kaplan and 2 weeks of hard core cramming before the test. Does it look bad if I take the exam again and don't score better?:)

thanks for the advice. I actually just really wanted to live in manhattan , if possible, coz my sister has an apartment there and i didn't want to pay for rent. teehheee but i don't know. I guess i could still try to get into "schools like NYu" with my mcat score. Also, I actually got lower scores on my practice exams but i did kaplan and 2 weeks of hard core cramming before the test. Does it look bad if I take the exam again and don't score better?:)

If your ECs are good and LORs are strong and essays are strong, with a bit of luck you might be able to get into one of the top schools, especially if you have some research or something unique to set you apart from the crowd.

I know someone who got in cornell with similar scores but a slightly higher GPA and I knew a girl here on SDN wh had a similar MCAT score but slightly higher GPA that got into UPenn. Heck there was a girl on here last cycle that interviewed at places like Harvard with a 30 MCAT score. No these weren't URMs. So anything is possible but with a lot slimmer chance.

ok so i got my scores from may 31st and was really bummed. i had an aamc test avg of between 32 and 33, with scores going up as my studying progressed, eventually ending with a 37 on aamc 10.

may 31 scores:
9 PS
9 VR
12 BS
M WS :confused:

this was by far lower than i was expecting for everything except bio. this was also a retake for me, my scores from april 06 were similar (9, 9, 11, O). i'm just bummed because i never once scored a 9 on a practice test in ps after taking my last gen chem since my first mcat.. unfortunately, may 31st mcat was 80% physics, my weakest subject. i simply ran out of time to get as in depth into physics as i wanted to because i was still in school until june and biochemistry was owning me.

as far as verbal, i still have no idea where the 9 came from. i thought i did really well in that section, and my aamc avg was an 11.

and the writing sample?? M??? i thought as long as you answered all 3 tasks with decent grammar that you would get at least a P. I seriously have no idea how i got an M, but i've heard it's not worth the time for a regrade.

basically, i'm just bummed. i studied much harder this time and only made a 1 point increase to show for the effort. i got sick a couple days before the mcat, and in retrospect i probably should have postponed the test because i think i was still feeling a little "slow", but i really thought i would have at least pulled 10's or higher in each section so i didn't void it.

am i crazy to think about a retake? i've graduated now, and have NOTHING to do except for a few hours per week of volunteering at the hospital. (i've been looking for a job but with minimal luck so far.) i really feel like i could conquer physics in a few months and rock the exam in september. but then again, who knows with this stupid test, i might get another easy vr set and then get screwed by the curve like i did this time. i guess i'm just disappointed and frustrated because i don't think these two 9's represent my ability, and now it just seems like i've reinforced them since i got the same scores the first time i took the mcat.

other info: i'm a reapp this year after applying late and to all the wrong schools last year, and my gpa is 3.85, bcpm 3.75. planning to submit my app whenever amcas gets my updated transcript (so sometime in the next couple weeks). tons of volunteer & clinical experience, minimal research & leadership though :(

so tell me, is this really unbalanced 30 enough?
(ps, sorry if i sound like a whiny ocd premed... being a reapp just makes you worry about everything 10x more. i know 30 is not a bad score, i just don't know if it's good enough considering my circumstances and knowing i did so much better on practice tests...)

bump. anyone?

bump. anyone?

That depends, can you identify what may have caused you to do lower? Do you think you can pull your score up? There have been people who retook with a 30 to end up with a 35-39 MCAT score. One guy got a 38 that did that another guy who had a 33 retook due to canadian cutoffs and got either a 37 or 38.

But they were consistently showing higher in their practice scores the second time around. Do you want to go to a more competitive school or are you content with your state schools? Do you have plans for academic medicine or are you just wanting to get into any US med school that will allow you to become a physician?

these are the things to take into consideration when considering a retake. Also look to see if you can identify what may have gone wrong the first time and make sure to work on fixing what may have gone wrong.

Hey all.

Do you think you could pull high scores in Verbal again and PS again?? I think as an engineering major you could probably do better then you've done based on what I've seen with other engineers. I think since you are strong in Verbal, I'd recommend a retake in which you practice Verbal but put more focus on your sciences. I think you can get a lot better then 7 in BS. I am no way a genius and I got a 10 in that section when I took it in August last year. Just keep practicing passages and what not and you'll get a higher score in that section. I'd recommend a retake but that's just me. I always think the sciences are the easiest part to improve, it is the Vr that is a killer to improve.

I've never goten a good answer to retake or not with a 29M 10P 9V 10B. I have a 3.5 GPA overall and 3.5 BCPM. Decent volunteering, research with publications. Live in Oregon and would like to go to OHSU. I was scoring between 29-32 on kaplan exams.

That depends, can you identify what may have caused you to do lower? Do you think you can pull your score up? There have been people who retook with a 30 to end up with a 35-39 MCAT score. One guy got a 38 that did that another guy who had a 33 retook due to canadian cutoffs and got either a 37 or 38.

But they were consistently showing higher in their practice scores the second time around. Do you want to go to a more competitive school or are you content with your state schools? Do you have plans for academic medicine or are you just wanting to get into any US med school that will allow you to become a physician?

these are the things to take into consideration when considering a retake. Also look to see if you can identify what may have gone wrong the first time and make sure to work on fixing what may have gone wrong.

i know what went wrong with the PS section, but am still puzzled about verbal, as i was doing much better on aamc practice exams and i thought it went well after the test.

i don't really care about going to a super competitive school; all of my state schools except for one would be fine with me (and probably better bc of price), i just want to be accepted somewhere that's not out in the boonies. i don't want to do academic medicine, or at least not much of it; i primarily want to be a great clinician.

i'm just frustrated because i was doing so much better on practice tests. i mean, i got a 36 on aamc 8 and 37 on aamc 10 so i was expecting higher than a 30, and i think i'm capable of it. but does it look bad for me to take it a third time? or will an improvement (33+) justify it and give me better chances? is taking it in sept really going to even make a difference this cycle anyway? if these two 9's are going to severely hurt my chances i will buckle down and study for the next two months instead of finding a job, and hope next time i'll have something to show for the effort. i just don't know how bad it is to have two 9's with a 30 vs taking the test 3 times in 2 years.

i know what went wrong with the PS section, but am still puzzled about verbal, as i was doing much better on aamc practice exams and i thought it went well after the test.

i don't really care about going to a super competitive school; all of my state schools except for one would be fine with me (and probably better bc of price), i just want to be accepted somewhere that's not out in the boonies. i don't want to do academic medicine, or at least not much of it; i primarily want to be a great clinician.

i'm just frustrated because i was doing so much better on practice tests. i mean, i got a 36 on aamc 8 and 37 on aamc 10 so i was expecting higher than a 30, and i think i'm capable of it. but does it look bad for me to take it a third time? or will an improvement (33+) justify it and give me better chances? is taking it in sept really going to even make a difference this cycle anyway? if these two 9's are going to severely hurt my chances i will buckle down and study for the next two months instead of finding a job, and hope next time i'll have something to show for the effort. i just don't know how bad it is to have two 9's with a 30 vs taking the test 3 times in 2 years.

What is your home state?? Do you believe that your state schools are more competitive that a 30 will not suffice or do you think that a 30 will get you in your state schools? What is the rest of your profile like in terms of ECs.

Hey guys just got my scores for the June 15th date.
Should I Retake?????

12PS
08VR
11BS
S WS
------
31S

---

3.65 overall GPA
3.51 BCPM GPA
Duke Univ

---

Lots of ECs

---

VA Residency

Hey guys just got my scores for the June 15th date.
Should I Retake?????

12PS
08VR
11BS
S WS
------
31S

---

3.65 overall GPA
3.51 BCPM GPA
Duke Univ

---

Lots of ECs

---

VA Residency

That depends, are you content with one of your state schools or was your aim top tier schools. I think your numbers look fine especially if as you say, you have a lot of ECs.

11BS
10PS
7VR
M

Can this score get me anywhere with a 3.67 GPA and 3.86 BCPM
I so dont want to study again for this!!!!!!

That depends, are you content with one of your state schools or was your aim top tier schools. I think your numbers look fine especially if as you say, you have a lot of ECs.

Was hoping to get a shot at top 30-50 schools including UVA. What do you think?

11BS
10PS
7VR
M

Can this score get me anywhere with a 3.67 GPA and 3.86 BCPM
I so dont want to study again for this!!!!!!

I am an ESL student, I lived all my life in an non english speaking country.
Do any schools take this into consideration?
Any advice?

I'm a sophomore (class of '09) looking at top 20 schools/MD PhD. I currently go to a top 20 undergrad school with a good GPA (a little above a 3.8) with lots of research experience.

This was my first shot:
9 PS
11 V
12 BS
S on the writing sample

Should I retake? I signed up for an August 9 test after I left the testing center in June because I didn't feel that confident. I was getting well above a 32 on my AAMC practice tests (usually 35-37), but I didn't feel like I had had a very good day on test day.

BTW, I took the Kaplan course with a 27 on the diagnostic (I think it was 8 PS, 10 V, 9 BS), so I'm frustrated at so little improvement.

PS 13 VR 8 BS 11
Writing M...:scared:

CUM GPA: 3.664 Top 10 undergrad.
Science GPA: above 3.5 below 3.7 - Haven't calculated yet.
Lots of research experience/shadowing
not much volunteering...though.

Straight MD

Should I retake? Do I have a chance at top 25-50 med schools?

Thank you! Any advice is greatly appreciated!

PS 13 VR 8 BS 11
Writing M...:scared:

CUM GPA: 3.664 Top 10 undergrad.
Science GPA: above 3.5 below 3.7 - Haven't calculated yet.
Lots of research experience/shadowing
not much volunteering...though.

Straight MD

Should I retake? Do I have a chance at top 25-50 med schools?

Thank you! Any advice is greatly appreciated!

Don't retake. Your scores are good.

Just got my scores from June 15:

8 PS: got 10's on practices, thought I did better
9 VR: got 11,12 on practices, knew I screwed it up cause I ran out of time
9 BS: was getting 7's on practices
M WS: lord only knows why

My situation is unique, because I'm a non trad with a BS in Engineering.

Here's why I should retake: prior to the test I had only taken 1 semester of bio, 2 weeks of organic and a survey course in A&P. I will have completed organic 1 by the time I would retake on sept 7. I will also have close to 2 months to cram bio to make sure I don't revert to the 7 I was getting on practices.

Here's why I should not retake: I studied my butt off for the first one. I used Examkrackers and don't know if I could learn much more from them before the next test. Also, I am applying to MUSC and other schools in SC and FL which are less competitive. I'd like to apply ED to MUSC, and Im' afraid they wouldn't look at me if they new I was retaking. I also pass the min standards for an interview (25 MCAT). At MUSC the interview counts as 50% and I feel I will have a stong interview due to my military experience and leadership. If I can get to an interview I think I have a good chance at ED.

If I should wait to finish the prereqs to retake I will not be able to retake until next april, and I hate my current job in the military and don't want to be stuck here another 2 years.

Other random info about me - 3.23 GPA but 3.6 last two years. 1.5 years as officer in Air Force, 6 months volunteering at ER/SICU.

Any help is appreciated.

I think you should retake it.

Just got my scores from June 15:

8 PS: got 10's on practices, thought I did better
9 VR: got 11,12 on practices, knew I screwed it up cause I ran out of time
9 BS: was getting 7's on practices
M WS: lord only knows why

My situation is unique, because I'm a non trad with a BS in Engineering.

Here's why I should retake: prior to the test I had only taken 1 semester of bio, 2 weeks of organic and a survey course in A&P. I will have completed organic 1 by the time I would retake on sept 7. I will also have close to 2 months to cram bio to make sure I don't revert to the 7 I was getting on practices.

Here's why I should not retake: I studied my butt off for the first one. I used Examkrackers and don't know if I could learn much more from them before the next test. Also, I am applying to MUSC and other schools in SC and FL which are less competitive. I'd like to apply ED to MUSC, and Im' afraid they wouldn't look at me if they new I was retaking. I also pass the min standards for an interview (25 MCAT). At MUSC the interview counts as 50% and I feel I will have a stong interview due to my military experience and leadership. If I can get to an interview I think I have a good chance at ED.

If I should wait to finish the prereqs to retake I will not be able to retake until next april, and I hate my current job in the military and don't want to be stuck here another 2 years.

Other random info about me - 3.23 GPA but 3.6 last two years. 1.5 years as officer in Air Force, 6 months volunteering at ER/SICU.

Any help is appreciated.

I'm a sophomore (class of '09) looking at top 20 schools/MD PhD. I currently go to a top 20 undergrad school with a good GPA (a little above a 3.8) with lots of research experience.

This was my first shot:
9 PS
11 V
12 BS
S on the writing sample

Should I retake? I signed up for an August 9 test after I left the testing center in June because I didn't feel that confident. I was getting well above a 32 on my AAMC practice tests (usually 35-37), but I didn't feel like I had had a very good day on test day.

BTW, I took the Kaplan course with a 27 on the diagnostic (I think it was 8 PS, 10 V, 9 BS), so I'm frustrated at so little improvement.

If you feel you can do much better, retake it. If you don't then stick with the scores you have.

I am a Canadian citizen living in Canada right now. But only moved there 4 years ago. Born and raised in lebanon!

Oh, cuz otherwise I was going to say if you were in the states you wouldn't need to retake it most likely. However, seeing as int'l students have so many less options you are going to have to retake it.

If you feel you can do much better, retake it. If you don't then stick with the scores you have.

Like how much better? 2-3 points, or more than that? I feel like verbal's a crapshoot and I could get anything from a 10-15 in it, whereas if I had to bet on improving, I could probably try to master BS or really study PS (since physics is my weakness, and I'm sure that's where I lost the most points).

I got a 28M VR 7 PS 10 BS 11... damn verbal... GPA is 3.73 science is 3.69... EC: Tutoring since Junior year, shadowed one winter break, shadowing 2 docs this summer, research end of spring semester of junior year till Fall semester of senior year, member of AMSA, member of Tri-Beta Bio honor society... live in NJ.

Any thoughts if I should retake?

Just got my scores back and was a little disappointed with: Phys: 8 VR:8 and Bio: 11.
Was hoping for better. I'm a non-trad with a ton of interesting work experience though not so much medically related. What are my chances at a state school (TN). My post- bac was 4.0 and total gpa is 3.3. Any speculations welcome.

Like how much better? 2-3 points, or more than that? I feel like verbal's a crapshoot and I could get anything from a 10-15 in it, whereas if I had to bet on improving, I could probably try to master BS or really study PS (since physics is my weakness, and I'm sure that's where I lost the most points).

Like 3-5 pts more otherwise its not really worth it.

Don't retake. Your scores are good.

According to the MSAR, most medical schools require 10 in VR and P or Q for the writing section...
Mine is 8 and M...Are you sure I still have a chance?!?!?!

I learned that verbal isn't something that I can cram...

According to the MSAR, most medical schools require 10 in VR and P or Q for the writing section...
Mine is 8 and M...Are you sure I still have a chance?!?!?!

I learned that verbal isn't something that I can cram...

The M they probably won't look at, and the 8, well you got high science scores that overshadow that. I wouldn't retake if your goals is not a top 20 school unless you consistently show a 5+ pt improvement

GPA 3.58
Science GPA 3.59

Graduating in three years with honors major in biochem and minor in math
MCAT 27Q (physical 8 biological 9 verbal 10)

So here is my situation. I got a 28Q (10 PS, 8 VR, 10 BS) on the June 15th exam.

I graduated with a 3.75 QPA in Neuroscience, 3.6 BCPM with a large upward trend (Last three semesters were 4.0's).

I have two years of research with an honors thesis and I am also doing an NIH fellowship for a year while I apply. I have 1.5 years of hospital volunteering or so(pathology lab & visiting patients), I was an undergrad teaching assistant for two different courses, involved in some clubs, & have some community service activity as well.

I am really discouraged by this score because with a month of studying, I was getting 30-33 on AAMC, and 34 was my max on a Kaplan. VR has always given me problems, I averaged 8 or 9 most of the time, but my bio and physics usually got me over the 30 mark on the practices.

Should I retake in August? I just want to get into any MD school. Oh, and I am a resident of PA.

F you verbal:mad:

I really need advice cause I haven't slept for two days thinking about this. I got my June 15 scores back.

8 VR
11 PS
10 BS
Q

Ok I did not study that much for the mcat. I took only one practice test before the real thing. I am from India and English is not my native language although I am pretty good at VR questions usually and get A in all my english courses. I am an undergrad in VA and don't aim for any Ivy schools. Any MD school would do. I am working full time to pay for my senior year. And so I really don't want to retake In aug. I have some good EC's and medical experience. Any suggestions.

I need help I have a gpa 3.95 but my mcat was 24 n in june. Im so freaked out because i did so poorly and the only test date open anywhere near me is the aug 9. Its really soon and I just started studying again because i did not know i was going to this bad. Looking for any advice

I can't seem to find any open dates for the rest of 2007??? Is this a software problem? Is there a number to call for assistance?

Status
Not open for further replies.