Forum Members Official "Should I Retake?" Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

QofQuimica

Seriously, dude, I think you're overreacting....
Moderator Emeritus
Lifetime Donor
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
EDIT 12/21/18: This thread is being retired, as the majority of posts (>80 pages) pertain to the old MCAT that is no longer relevant to current applicants. You can find the current "Should I Retake" thread here: Forum Members - Should I Retake the MCAT?

For those of you who are trying to figure out whether you should re-take, this is the thread for you. Post your dilemma here if you want advice from other SDN folks. Please note that you should take the opinions you get from SDN as one source of advice; you would be wise to also consult your premed advisor before making this decision. Here is my personal advice for those considering whether to re-take:

Definitely DO retake:
-if you scored below a 24. Some allopathic schools will screen out students with scores lower than 24, which is about the mean score for all test-takers.
-if you had some kind of major problem during the test that affected your performance (ex. you started puking or running a 102 degree temperature)
-if you took the test without completing the four pre-reqs (one year each of biology, chemistry, physics, and organic) and/or without studying for it
-if you left large numbers of questions blank​

Definitely do NOT retake:
-if you scored a 30 or better, especially if all of your individual section scores were an 8 or better
-if your section subscores (the numerical ones) are all good, but you didn't perform well on the writing section (the letter score)

Gray area-it's not obvious what to do:
-if you scored 30+ but with one section below an 8
-if you had some minor nuisances (ex. a noisy test room) during the test and you're not sure if it affected your performance
-if you studied thoroughly for the test and you scored within the range of your practice exams, but your score is in the middle range (24-29)​

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 4 users
I really need advice cause I haven't slept for two days thinking about this. I got my June 15 scores back.

8 VR
11 PS
10 BS
Q

Ok I did not study that much for the mcat. I took only one practice test before the real thing. I am from India and English is not my native language although I am pretty good at VR questions usually and get A in all my english courses. I am an undergrad in VA and don't aim for any Ivy schools. Any MD school would do. I am working full time to pay for my senior year. And so I really don't want to retake In aug. I have some good EC's and medical experience. Any suggestions.

Are you a US citizen or permanent resident aka green card holder??

What state is your state of residence and what are your ECs and GPA like??

Retake only if you think you can get 3-4 pts higher. Otherwise, I think you are good to get in somewhere in the US if you apply broadly to places like RFU, SLU, NYMC, Albany, some of the SUNYs, your state schools especially Temple and PSU, etc.

You might have a shot with those scores. You are in a gray area.

So here is my situation. I got a 28Q (10 PS, 8 VR, 10 BS) on the June 15th exam.

I graduated with a 3.75 QPA in Neuroscience, 3.6 BCPM with a large upward trend (Last three semesters were 4.0's).

I have two years of research with an honors thesis and I am also doing an NIH fellowship for a year while I apply. I have 1.5 years of hospital volunteering or so(pathology lab & visiting patients), I was an undergrad teaching assistant for two different courses, involved in some clubs, & have some community service activity as well.

I am really discouraged by this score because with a month of studying, I was getting 30-33 on AAMC, and 34 was my max on a Kaplan. VR has always given me problems, I averaged 8 or 9 most of the time, but my bio and physics usually got me over the 30 mark on the practices.

Should I retake in August? I just want to get into any MD school. Oh, and I am a resident of PA.

F you verbal:mad:

Hey guys, I just got my MCAT scores back from the June 15th exam.

I got a 28 O

8 PS
9 VR
11 BS

Just wondering if you guys thought I should retake? I'm a Florida resident and have a 3.74 overall gpa with a 3.77 science gpa from UF. I have a huge upward grade trend as the past two years I have a 4.0 gpa after I switched majors from engineering and those last two years includes most of my pre-med prereqs. Extracirriculars are pretty good with shadowing, research, volunteering, and I started my own tennis teaching business. I'm pretty bummed out about this score as I thought I could get higher and I don't know if i could be ready for the August exam since it's kinda soon. I wanted to apply to all the Florida schools as well as a large amount of out of state ones to. Any advice would help. I'm stuck.... :(

If you are content with a Fl. school I think you could get away with those scores, if you were all about going out of state or to a top tier school I think it would be worth the while to retake and try to do a few points higher.

However, 28 would easily get you in USF or possibly Miami or FSU with the rest of your credentials that you have listed above.

Members don't see this ad :)
So I got a 29M should I retake?

PS 11 VR 6 BS 12
o yea and my gpa is 3.63, something like 3.5 in science

I didn't finish the verbal section and wound up guessing 3 passages... should I retake, and is a 6 that detrimental to acceptance?

SOOO mad about that 6 considering I was getting 9-11 VR on practice tests.

hi guys. i'm 99% sure that i am going to retake but i just want other opinions.

my gpa is not that good but i have research experience (2 years ) and i have been volunteering regularly at a hospital. Any opinions are helpful!

Last edited:
Hello, just wondering what people thought about these. I just got my scores today :(
24O (VR 5 PS 8 BS 11)
overall gpa is 3.84
science gpa 3.61 (I think, not sure how to calculate science gpa)

I'm thinking of applying to foreign medical schools instead of applying here in America. Though I've only been in America for ~3 years, and I knew my english is far from perfect, I never thought my verbal nor writing would be these bad. I've known english ever since I can remember (though I only used it in school and sometimes outside of school). My practice scores for verbal were ~7-8 and WS was P

Yes I am a permanent resident in Virginia.
GPA is 3.55 and BCPM 3.5.

I did one and a half years worth of undergrad in India. I moved here in 2005.

Since moving here I have worked as a sleep technician performing sleep studies for 6 months as a full time job(40 hours per week). Immense amount of clinical and patient experience here.I had to leave cause I couldn't work nights and go to classes in the morning.

I worked as a medical records assistant in an orthopedic clinic. The job title is misleading cause I did a range of things there. Like getting authorizations from Insurance companies, taking care of medical records requests, assisting nurses during clinic hours and shadowing doctors. I worked for one full year for 30 hrs per week.

I have been currently working at an urgent care center at the front desk full and part time for more than 1.5 yrs. A lot of patient experience and I sometimes shadow doctors here. Currently I am training to be a medical assistant here.

I volunteer once or twice a month at an indian reservation at their free health clinic taking vitals etc. since 2006.

I also volunteer almost 20 hrs per week as a Court appointed special advocate investigating child abuse cases and submitting a report to the court making sure children are in a safe and loving house. (Since 2006)

In India I also volunteered and worked at a hospital/group home for terminally ill cancer patients.

5 VR
14 PS
11 BS
--------

30 Q

sigh.........retake? probably get screened right out of most schools with that VR score huh?

Dude, you got the same exact score as me for 2006. And I am definitely retaking for this year. Hopefully i can pull my VR to a 9 or 10. I'm aiming for a 10. My guess is that you're going to retake. Yeah I know getting a 14 for PS and a 5 for VR sux.

I realy need some input...

3.88 GPA (3.82 BCPM) in Honors program. Just got the MCAT results today: 30 O (9-10-11), and not too happy because I was getting 11 + on the sciences consistently.

I am an immigrant from Eastern Europe, came here 5 yrs ago. Graduating from Ohio State in 3 yrs with mol gen b.s.

As for EC's... A little over 6 months hospital volunteering, 50+ hrs shadowing a surgeon and an anesthesiologist, cancer research, mentoring foreign kids, 3-month diversity and leadeship program, recently started working as a medical interpreter.

Ohio State's med school is now #31. I don't know what my chances are.

Pretty PLEASE, I need some input.:rolleyes:

Don't want to go to a below 50 school.

hi guys. i'm 99% sure that i am going to retake but i just want other opinions.

PS:08
VR:10
W: M
BS: 10
28M.

my gpa is not that good (3.4) but i have research experience (2 years ) and i have been volunteering regularly at a hospital. Any opinions are helpful!

I think a retake would help. That PS screwed me over, too. :(

With all of that in perspective down below, I think you have a shot at a US school but apply broadly. Look at the MSAR for schools with close enough averages to yours and that take out of staters and also apply to all your in state schools. I wouldn't retake it if I were you because you have a pretty good application profile.

Yes I am a permanent resident in Virginia.
GPA is 3.55 and BCPM 3.5.

I did one and a half years worth of undergrad in India. I moved here in 2005.

Since moving here I have worked as a sleep technician performing sleep studies for 6 months as a full time job(40 hours per week). Immense amount of clinical and patient experience here.I had to leave cause I couldn't work nights and go to classes in the morning.

I worked as a medical records assistant in an orthopedic clinic. The job title is misleading cause I did a range of things there. Like getting authorizations from Insurance companies, taking care of medical records requests, assisting nurses during clinic hours and shadowing doctors. I worked for one full year for 30 hrs per week.

I have been currently working at an urgent care center at the front desk full and part time for more than 1.5 yrs. A lot of patient experience and I sometimes shadow doctors here. Currently I am training to be a medical assistant here.

I volunteer once or twice a month at an indian reservation at their free health clinic taking vitals etc. since 2006.

I also volunteer almost 20 hrs per week as a Court appointed special advocate investigating child abuse cases and submitting a report to the court making sure children are in a safe and loving house. (Since 2006)

In India I also volunteered and worked at a hospital/group home for terminally ill cancer patients.

Hello, just wondering what people thought about these. I just got my scores today :(
24O (VR 5 PS 8 BS 11)
overall gpa is 3.84
science gpa 3.61 (I think, not sure how to calculate science gpa)

I'm thinking of applying to foreign medical schools instead of applying here in America. Though I've only been in America for ~3 years, and I knew my english is far from perfect, I never thought my verbal nor writing would be these bad. I've known english ever since I can remember (though I only used it in school and sometimes outside of school). My practice scores for verbal were ~7-8 and WS was P

O isn't a bad writing score and the writing is non important but the PS and VR need work, or at least you sould be able to pull up the VR to an 8 and the PS to a 9 or 10 and I think you'd be good.

For Foreign med schools you have a shot, but if you want to stay in America I'd say retake it.

With all of that in perspective down below, I think you have a shot at a US school but apply broadly. Look at the MSAR for schools with close enough averages to yours and that take out of staters and also apply to all your in state schools. I wouldn't retake it if I were you because you have a pretty good application profile.
Thanks for the reply. I went through the MSAR and found almost 20 schools which match closely to my average. I selected schools with MCAT median 30 and GPA not more than 3.6. Another problem for me is the foreign courses I have, some of them sciences. Certain schools will not accept them while others don't care. So right now I am looking at 16 schools. I have only 3 state schools out of which one has a high GPA and MCAT average and the other does not accept foreign courses. My university med school is more considerate and I think I have a shot at it. What do you think.

Members don't see this ad :)
Alright guys I really really need some advice here. I took the June 15th MCAT and it did not turn out as well as I had hoped. Here is my breakdown:

I usually averaged 11-13 on both bio and verbal so I was upset. Physics was right where I wanted it to be. I only studied for a month and I didn't study very hard during that month (I suck, I know.)

I have a 3.78 GPA and a 3.79 or so Science GPA. I have a good amount of volunteer work and over a year of research under my belt. I am on the board of a bunch of orgs and such.

Should I bother retaking? If i retake I would be applying relatively late but I'm pretty sure I can raise my score. Plus all of the testing places are booked so it would be hard to find a spot. If I apply now I risk applying with a lower score but I apply early and I feel that my resume is solid. Please, please SDN, I really need your help, I can't decide what to do with myself. Am I competitive? :confused:

^Cheetos,

You have a really good GPA and science GPA that is higher than the average/median of a majority of schools. Your MCAT is good, too, since it is relatively balanced and you sound like you have good EC's. I would not retake since if you do you are going to probably end up applying late...Make sure you apply broadly to schools that have an MCAT score similar to yours and add on some reach schools. Best of luck!

so here's my june 15th breakdown:

VR: 10
WR: R
PS: 8 (<--what?)
------
28R

i'm sure i can do better on the PS section. i freaked out a little too much during the first ~20 mins and i couldn't use my head. my best section is actually PS, averaging 10-11 on it.

anyways, my overall gpa is 3.52, BCPM gpa is 3.55.
ECs: year of research, currently doing hospital internship, been teaching classes since 12th grade, bunch of other club activies with officer positions, doing an honors thesis, and a humble list of the usual awards and accolades.

should i even apply this year? thanks

Apply and if you don't get in retake it but I think that you can get in somewhere if you apply broadly.

june 15th
09-11-08-K

I am almost positive that I am going to retake. Will retaking so late in sept hurt me in the application process or should i just wait to retake in 2008 and apply next year?

June 15th scores back...why am I so inconsistant?

PS 8
VR 10
BS 14
Writing S

I am a Canadian and American citizen so I don't think I would be considered international. Lots of volunteering and ECS - no research though. Do I even have a chance at a 25-50 school with that PS?? Only 3.4 GPA big upward trend though.

Thanks

I am still a little disappointed with my score from yesterday. I was wondering if I should retake the test. On practice tests I scored between 35-38 (with a consistent 11 in VR--it never changed once!).

My score:
12 PS
10 VR (Argh! This upsets me so much. I wanted to keep the 11.)
12 BS
T WS (Great, but no one cares.)
34T, 3.97 GPA
Before the MCAT I was planning to apply to top 5 schools (among others). Not anymore, though.

What is your home state?? Do you believe that your state schools are more competitive that a 30 will not suffice or do you think that a 30 will get you in your state schools? What is the rest of your profile like in terms of ECs.

i'm from Ohio
lots of clinical experience- worked in hospital, over 2 years volunteering, and some shadowing
campus community service events
ran marathon to raise money for leukemia
research: some stuff for exercise science but no publications or anything
leadership: dorm hall council & committee chair
i was also in a social sorority & a handful of honoraries (that no one cares about bc they weren't phi beta kappa)

lors: my chem prof LOVED me and wrote me an awesome letter, my other 2 sci letters i think are good but probably nothing outstanding, and the one from my hospital volunteering should be very good as well...

i'd love to go to toledo, wright state, osu, or cincy... i really don't know if a 30 will get me in because i think cincy loves the mcat and osu has much higher numbers... and in my interview last year at toledo my interviewer was asking why the low verbal score (9)... so i'm not sure what to think.

I am still a little disappointed with my score from yesterday. I was wondering if I should retake the test. On practice tests I scored between 35-38 (with a consistent 11 in VR--it never changed once!).

My score:
12 PS
12 BS
34T, 3.97 GPA
Before the MCAT I was planning to apply to top 5 schools (among others). Not anymore, though.

Your score is great, and you should still apply to all the schools you originally intended to - a 34 won't kill you anywhere. But I'd definitely add a bunch of non-top 5 schools as well. If you're dead-set on retaking, I would suggest only doing so if you're planning to wait a year. Otherwise, I don't think the benefit from a few points higher will be worth delaying your app to September (when August scores will come out).

My score:
12 PS
12 BS
34T, 3.97 GPA

the 34T is still amazing, and your gpa is awesome. i really wouldn't retake it if i were you, it's not worth the stress/time/money! definitely apply to those top 5's because you're still very competitive... and you'll never know if you don't try.

So I took the June 15th MCAT
27P

PS: 8
VR: 8
BS: 11

I'm a 28 year old non-trad with good experiences and LOR's. I just want state schools(TN). What's your opinion? GPA:3.3, Postbacc and all sciences: 4.00

My score:
12 PS
12 BS
34T, 3.97 GPA

LOL. Yes, please retake it. :laugh:
Only a 10 on verbal? You should be ashamed of yourself. :rolleyes:

My score:
12 PS
12 BS
34T, 3.97 GPA

There is no way a 34 will keep you from getting anywhere. I have friends who got into top 5 schools who had lower MCAT scores than that, and certainly many with MUCH lower GPA's. Even I'm applying to Michigan with my not so stellar 29 (thanks for the confidence boost SDN) I mean who knows? stranger things have happened. Keep your head up.

Hi what do you think? :oops:
Bio 10
Ver 7
Phys 7
Writing: O

GPA 3.1 (1st couple of years it wasn't good, but the last two between 3.1-3.8)
going for the DO track... apply this season or retake next spring and apply then?

Thanks for the input gujuDoc. I agree about the PS. I had ~9-11 in the practice tests, but I got too upset about the verbal that I didn't even realize how bad my PS score turned out.

As for retaking, when do most people do it? I'm slumped with so much work that I don't know when I would have time to retake it and hopefully better grades.

My score:
12 PS
12 BS
34T, 3.97 GPA

Oh please!!! I mean even people with 43 on their MCAT don't get in automatically by virtue of their score.

At top 5 schools I think once you hit a certain threshold its more about what you've done outside of academics. I mean I have a friend who got into Cornell with a 31 and interview offers from UPenn and Baylor, meanwhile I have friends with 35+ scores that got rejected from a lot of IVY leagues and some other top 5 schools as well.

What was the difference? Probably when they applied and also lack of research in case two or something else lacking which wasn't lacking in case one.

There were people last year who go rejected post secondary with stellar numbers and people with as low as 30 who interviewed at Harvard. There was one guy on here who got into Harvard and Hopkins with a 33 while there were people with 35-40+ scores who got rejected.

This process isn't as predictable as you'd like to assume.

12 PS, 9 VR, 12 BS - 33P May
11 PS, 9 VR, 12 BS - 32P June - I can't freaking believe I actually did worse...

I wanted at least a 35 because my GPA is low at 3.45 and my EC's are kind of weak.... 1 semester of research, 2 summers of hospital volunteer.

Looking to get into any NY MD school.

Take it a third time?

wong,

u should be fine w/ all the suny's, nymc,albany, and einstein.. and u never know w/ nyu, columbia, etc.. dont retake.

I am a Washington Resident.

PS: 10
VR: 9
WR: O
Overall GPA: 3.8
Science GPA: 3.6
Moderate EC's: strongest EC-research for 3 years with pub

I can't get over the fact that I was one point away from a 30.

Any thoughts?
And is O a bad writing score-will it hurt me?

I'd appreciate any input. Thanks.

11 PS, 9 VR, 12 BS - 32P June - I can't freaking believe I actually did worse...

I wanted at least a 35 because my GPA is low at 3.45 and my EC's are kind of weak.... 1 semester of research, 2 summers of hospital volunteer.

Take it a third time?

If your GPA is low and you don't get in this time around, then the answer is NOT TO RETAKE THE MCAT!!! Instead, the answer would be TO DO AN SMP or 1 YEAR MASTERS IN HARDCORE SCIENCE

Caps is there for emphasis to drive my point home because I hate when people think that a 2 or 3 pt increase will make up for a deficiency elsewhere when it is the deficiency itself that should be addressed.

If your GPA is low and you don't get in this time around, then the answer is NOT TO RETAKE THE MCAT!!! Instead, the answer would be TO DO AN SMP or 1 YEAR MASTERS IN HARDCORE SCIENCE

Caps is there for emphasis to drive my point home because I hate when people think that a 2 or 3 pt increase will make up for a deficiency elsewhere when it is the deficiency itself that should be addressed.

OK.

The only reason I was considering another retake is because most post-bacc, maters programs require another 2 years.... with that I'll be a year later than I ideally wanted.

Also I don't know what SMP is :oops:

OK.

The only reason I was considering another retake is because most post-bacc, maters programs require another 2 years.... with that I'll be a year later than I ideally wanted.

Also I don't know what SMP is :oops:

It is a one year special masters program which allows you to take medical school courses right along the first year med schools. Often times if you maintain a high GPA in it you will get an interview either at the school where you are doing an SMP or elsewhere in the country.

I would like a little advice if anyone could offer it.
VR-12
PS-8
BS-9
WS-M

I still feel I can go 10s in PS and BS

Low gpa around 3 undergrad, but 3.7 post-bacc science classes, non traditional political science major,

EC- two varsity sports football, and track many awards in track
Was on a professional arena football team. leadership in a couple campus orgs, as well as leadership in my social fraternity. Shadowing/volunteering in clinical and surgical settings for 6 years.

LORs- Excellent letters from two post-bacc science professors, as well as from undergrad poli sci chair, also two excellent letters from physicians I have shadowed/observed/volunteered with.

any advice??

I need help I have a gpa 3.95 but my mcat was 24 n in june. Im so freaked out because i did so poorly and the only test date open anywhere near me is the aug 9. Its really soon and I just started studying again because i did not know i was going to this bad. Looking for any advice

If you've had the classes and feel confident with the material, I would start hitting practice tests like crazy...Kaplan, AAMC, ExamKrackers...anything you can get your hands on. You can get ready by August 9th if you start spending 6 or more hours a day between now and then. Aim for five full-length practice tests a week for the next two to three weeks, then give it heck. Don't wait, or schools will already be interviewing other applicants by the time they get later scores. You can do it!!! Don't give up!!!:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

My score:
12 PS
12 BS
34T, 3.97 GPA

I know a lot of people would say, "why are you whining?" But I understand how you feel about the ten. I still think you are competitive for a top 5, though you may not be in the first batch of acceptances. I would apply with these scores, nail your secondary essays, really beef up for interviews, and go in with a positive attitude!!! 34 is not disgraceful by any means, and the T is awesome!!! A retake would be risky.

Take it a third time?

Don't retake. Focus on excellent secondary essays and a great interview.

June 15th MCAT:

BS 11 :thumbup:
VR 7 :(
PS 7 :(

25Q

Waaah! I don't know what happened. I came out of the exam thinking PS and VR were okay and that I bombed Bio. My socres showed otherwise. My highest VR practice score was 11 and PS was 9 (I hate PS!) Signed up for Sept 8 exam.

Please look at my MDApps below for my EC's. Sci/OA GPA is 3.83/3.85. I haven't edited my school list yet - please help me pick schools to apply to for now. Obviously I can kiss my dream schools goodbye. I talked to my state school and was told that that using their GPA+MCAT formula (ave. MCAT*GPA), I meet their interview cut-off, which 24-26 - my "score" is 32.something). This means that I have a chance to win them over at the interview. I was told that the 7's might worry the adcoms, though. They will not consider September MCAT scores, only the ones until August. And I only have ONE state school! I plan on calling more schools to see what they say about the Sept. MCAT.

I would appreciate any advice/words of comfort. LOL. :)

So I took the June 15th MCAT
27P

VR: 8
BS: 11

I'm a 28 year old non-trad with good experiences and LOR's. I just want state schools(TN). What's your opinion? GPA:3.3, Postbacc and all sciences: 4.00

My scores were almost like yours - just that I got 7's instead of 8's. I'm a non-trad too, but I don't have any advice to offer; the wonderful folks on this thread will surely give you great advice. Good luck! :luck:

Hi. I just joined SDN, although have been a silent reader for a while.

I took the June 15 MCAT:
VR: 11
WS: S

I just graduated with majors in Chemistry and Molecular Biology/Biochemistry, minor in Psychology, 4.0 GPA, and the usual ECs. I will be doing a voluntary service assignment (similar to Peace Corps, only a one year version in the US) during the next year (both clinical and non-clinical volunteer work).

I was averaging ~11 on the PS, so was a bit surprised by the 8, although the other sections were on par for what I was averaging beforehand. I'm also a TX resident, and am not picky (getting into any med school would be amazing).

I didn't quite get the "magical" 30 that I was hoping for - any thoughts on if I should retake or if a 29S is "good enough"? Thanks for any help!!

Hi. I just joined SDN, although have been a silent reader for a while.

I took the June 15 MCAT:
VR: 11
WS: S

I just graduated with majors in Chemistry and Molecular Biology/Biochemistry, minor in Psychology, 4.0 GPA, and the usual ECs. I will be doing a voluntary service assignment (similar to Peace Corps, only a one year version in the US) during the next year (both clinical and non-clinical volunteer work).

I was averaging ~11 on the PS, so was a bit surprised by the 8, although the other sections were on par for what I was averaging beforehand. I'm also a TX resident, and am not picky (getting into any med school would be amazing).

I didn't quite get the "magical" 30 that I was hoping for - any thoughts on if I should retake or if a 29S is "good enough"? Thanks for any help!!

I think you'll get into one of the Tx schools with those scores and wouldn't retake it!!! You have an amazing profile and contrary to what SDN shows, the majority of the people who apply and get in med school have around a 29-33 somewhere not 34-43, as clearly proven by the fact that most of the 125 MD schools outside of the top tier schools have lower averages then 35.

You are good to go and I wouldn't retake it, especially not if you are willing to stay in state.

Hello everyone. Got my 6/15 scores back and was disappointed to see:
VR: 9
Total: 27P
My GPA is 3.52 and I am a NJ resident. I am going to retake (i was consistently in the 30s on the AAMC practice tests) but not before January. I was wondering if you guys think I have any shot and whether I should apply this cycle. My EC's are nothing special (shadowing, working in a clinic, club sports).
Thanks!

LOL. Yes, please retake it. :laugh:
Only a 10 on verbal? You should be ashamed of yourself. :rolleyes:
this was my immediate reaction too. if we can convince enough people to retake then there will be more spots for the people that apply early... :smuggrin:
but seriously a 34 is 90-93rd percentile. the difference between a 34 and 35 is only a few questions. it is too risky to retake with a score in the low/mid 30's unless you were sick or missed a whole section because you couldnt find your way back to the testing room or fell asleep or something. :sleep:

11BS
10PS
7VR
M
3.67 GPA and 3.86 BCPM
Canadian, ESL student

I have been answered before that I should retake,however my questions is, which is a better option for me? applying early and broadly to 30+ universities and trying to finish all my secondaries by the first week of august. OR re-writing on the 9th of august, after studying like crazy for 20 days and hoping to improve by 1 or 2 points, taking into consideration that my file won't be completed before mid-september?

11BS
10PS
7VR
M
3.67 GPA and 3.86 BCPM
Canadian, ESL student

lol! I got the exact same scores as you! Even the M!

I'm going to retake it on August 9th because I feel I could have done better in VR since I was getting 9's and 10's on the practice AAMCs. It depends on the schools near you on whether you should retake it or not.

June 15th MCAT
BS:11
VR:8
27P

Not feeling to good about my situation. I am 28 yrs old. Non-trad. good EC's and LOR's. Want to go to state schools(TN). overall gpa=3.3, post-bac 4.00. any help would be appreciated. I was scoring in the 30's on practice tests. Should I retake in Aug or Sept?:(

June 15th MCAT
BS:11
VR:8
27P

Not feeling to good about my situation. I am 28 yrs old. Non-trad. good EC's and LOR's. Want to go to state schools(TN). overall gpa=3.3, post-bac 4.00. any help would be appreciated. I was scoring in the 30's on practice tests. Should I retake in Aug or Sept?:(

Hey I was in your situation, I took the April 7th exam and scored 27R, retook it on June 15th with about 2 weeks of review and scored a 34Q. It all depends on how high you were scoring and if you think it was just a bad test day. I was scoring 34+ for the last like 5 or 6 exams I took so I was completely blindsided by my 27R, chalked it up to a bad test day and retook as soon as I could. If you honestly think you can do a lot better, then retake in August/Sept.

Status
Not open for further replies.