Forum Members Official "Should I Retake?" Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

QofQuimica

Seriously, dude, I think you're overreacting....
Moderator Emeritus
Lifetime Donor
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
EDIT 12/21/18: This thread is being retired, as the majority of posts (>80 pages) pertain to the old MCAT that is no longer relevant to current applicants. You can find the current "Should I Retake" thread here: Forum Members - Should I Retake the MCAT?

For those of you who are trying to figure out whether you should re-take, this is the thread for you. Post your dilemma here if you want advice from other SDN folks. Please note that you should take the opinions you get from SDN as one source of advice; you would be wise to also consult your premed advisor before making this decision. Here is my personal advice for those considering whether to re-take:

Definitely DO retake:
-if you scored below a 24. Some allopathic schools will screen out students with scores lower than 24, which is about the mean score for all test-takers.
-if you had some kind of major problem during the test that affected your performance (ex. you started puking or running a 102 degree temperature)
-if you took the test without completing the four pre-reqs (one year each of biology, chemistry, physics, and organic) and/or without studying for it
-if you left large numbers of questions blank​

Definitely do NOT retake:
-if you scored a 30 or better, especially if all of your individual section scores were an 8 or better
-if your section subscores (the numerical ones) are all good, but you didn't perform well on the writing section (the letter score)

Gray area-it's not obvious what to do:
-if you scored 30+ but with one section below an 8
-if you had some minor nuisances (ex. a noisy test room) during the test and you're not sure if it affected your performance
-if you studied thoroughly for the test and you scored within the range of your practice exams, but your score is in the middle range (24-29)​

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 4 users
Hello everyone,

I just got my scores for the MCAT and I have a 25R (9VR/8PS/8BS). I'm not totally bummed, but I know there's way better. I don't know if I should retake, as all these calculators and statistics are telling me I could help it as much as I can hurt it..

I'm a transfer student, so my university GPA is separate from my community college GPA, so I don't know what it is cumulatively. The uni GPA is currently not as solid as others I've seen on here, so I'm thinking that before I even consider retaking the MCAT, I really need to bring the GPA up along with some research/clinical experience. (I only have one lab experience from the summer). I'm beginning my senior year. So, if I can do that, should I retake the MCAT?

Oh, and I'm from CA. It seems like that's an important fact to provide here for some reason.

Hello everyone,

I just got my scores for the MCAT and I have a 25R (9VR/8PS/8BS). I'm not totally bummed, but I know there's way better. I don't know if I should retake, as all these calculators and statistics are telling me I could help it as much as I can hurt it..

I'm a transfer student, so my university GPA is separate from my community college GPA, so I don't know what it is cumulatively. The uni GPA is currently not as solid as others I've seen on here, so I'm thinking that before I even consider retaking the MCAT, I really need to bring the GPA up along with some research/clinical experience. (I only have one lab experience from the summer). I'm beginning my senior year. So, if I can do that, should I retake the MCAT?

Oh, and I'm from CA. It seems like that's an important fact to provide here for some reason.

If you're looking to pursue an MD program, you will definitely need to retake the MCAT. California is a pretty difficult place to get into medical school, so you really need to have a solid application to have a shot.

You may potentially be competitive for DO programs, although that's dependent on your current GPA.

Hi guys,
I just received my MCAT score yesterday. V:10 P:9 B:9. Cumulative 28.
I graduated college with a 3.35 GPA but my extracurriculars are fairly impressive.

I have already sent out my primary application to several New York schools (I am a New York state resident). My peers have suggested that I retake the MCAT on September 10th. I am worried that I will not get better than a 28 in such a short period of time. My gpa isnt competitive and I am already late in the application process so I dont really know if I have anything to lose for this years cycle. Do you think I should retake it?

Members don't see this ad :)
I just got my 7/16 scores back (31R). I consistantly scored in the 35-39 range on the 8 practice tests I took. This 4-8 point drop from practice to actual test cannot be normal. I am a very comfortable test taker so it can't be attributed to nerves. Regardless, I am applying to MD/PhD programs and a 31R isn't going to cut it. For those of you that retook, how can I turn around and kick the sh** out of the 9/8 test? Thanks for your suggestions!!!!!

Thanks for such a quick response.

I've been wondering, why is California such a tough place, on that note? What if I tried to apply out of state? I'll think heavily on a retake, but I also want to work on my GPA/extracurriculars..

Sorry for being such a greenhorn, but where can I find out more about DO programs? I only came across that term for the first time yesterday when I googled up, "25R, retake?" XD

If you're looking to pursue an MD program, you will definitely need to retake the MCAT. California is a pretty difficult place to get into medical school, so you really need to have a solid application to have a shot.

You may potentially be competitive for DO programs, although that's dependent on your current GPA.

Hi all I was curious if I should retake. Here are all my stats:

Graduated from UT Austin with a B.S. Mechanical Engineering and a GPA of 2.8. I was dealing with my Mom's illness at the time along with just being immature.

I got a job with one of the big 4 Consulting Firms and did Management Consulting with them for 2 years.

I decided to go into Medicine because of what my Mom has gone through and the things it has opened up to me.

I am currently doing Post-Bacc work at a reputable 4 year university.
I have 31 hours of upper division science classes at a 4.00 GPA
I have taken: Gen Chem II, Bio II, Ochem I, and OChem II and other upper division biology courses.

I took some medical terminology classes at a community college and have 9 hours there with a GPA of 4.00

So my Total Post Bacc is 40 hours @ 4.00

and this puts my cumulative GPA at a 3.09

I have 400 hours Shadowing in the ER and 75 hours volunteering at a Hospice. I am also certified as an EMT-B

I took the MCAT on 3/26/11 V: 11 BS: 9 and PS: 9 = 29R
Took it again 7/16/11 V: 11 BS: 10 PS: 9 = 30R

I have already applied to tx schools through tmdsas and I am finishing my secondaries for amcas.

I was wondering if you think this is good enough to get in or should I retake the MCAT??

Thanks =)

Hey everyone,

I took the MCAT in May and I was juggling a heavy courseload, research, etc.. so studying was difficult. I got a 29M (8PS, 10VR, 11BS). I was disappointed especially with my essay score, as I thought I wrote two coherent essays with solid examples for each. However, during my first essay, my computer crashed :scared: and i had to restart from a previous point. I finished my essays, but i feel like maybe the crash had something to do with the low score? Either way, i was hoping for a 32+. Im applying next summer, my GPA is a 3.76 overall (idk science, but prolly a little lower). Still have 1 year left in undergrad. I have a leadership position in ECs, clinical volunteering, and research. Should I retake? I was scoring between 27-31 on my kaplan/AAMC practice tests.

Hey everyone,

I took the MCAT in May and I was juggling a heavy courseload, research, etc.. so studying was difficult. I got a 29M (8PS, 10VR, 11BS). I was disappointed especially with my essay score, as I thought I wrote two coherent essays with solid examples for each. However, during my first essay, my computer crashed :scared: and i had to restart from a previous point. I finished my essays, but i feel like maybe the crash had something to do with the low score? Either way, i was hoping for a 32+. Im applying next summer, my GPA is a 3.76 overall (idk science, but prolly a little lower). Still have 1 year left in undergrad. I have a leadership position in ECs, clinical volunteering, and research. Should I retake? I was scoring between 27-31 on my kaplan/AAMC practice tests.

Well, you certainly have time for a retake.

If you're gunning for a 32, you'll need to try a different approach. With practice scores of 27-31, a 29 really isn't unexpected.

Okay here is my scenario.

I graduated this past may, and I have already completed my application and sent out everything. I just took the 08/23/11 test, and I don't know how I did.

My practice score AAMC average was a 32.

Should I take again on September 10 just in case or should I let it be and if I get a 28 or something it is what it is?

I applied to 25 MD programs.

I am in a similar situation. I wrote Aug 5th, and I'm not sure how I did. I'd get my score back Sept 7th, so I could write again...but I don't think I could make alot of improvement in 2 weeks. I felt I put a good effort in, so if I don't get the score I want, I doubt two weeks of studying will change anything. If you felt you could have done better, then maybe its worth it, but I'm pretty burnt out, and I wrote almost a month ago. Thats just my perspective. Hopefully we both get the score we need.

Got my scores back today. 90% chance I'll retake but I'm wondering about others' opinions as well.
11PS 10VR 10BS.
gpa and sgpa: around 3.85.
EC's: ok but nothing extraordinary
state: FL
Thanks guys

OK so I'm a non-trad, been out of school 7 years with a BS in Biochem and a MS in developmental bio and am published as well as a bunch of EC including EMS volunteer and physician follows. My undergrad GPA was a 3.17 overall. I have not taken physics or chemistry of any kind in 11 years. I was shooting for a 30 and apparently my aim is not the greatest...
I'm applying to all Texas schools, including BCM where I did my graduate work at.

MCAT Scores:
VR = 8
PS = 7
BS = 10
W = O

This put me in the 43.7-49.6 percentile.

Do I even have a chance with this or should I retake? I'm thinking about submitting this cycle anyway and then retaking assuming I do not get any interviews in the near future...

thoughts?
thanks!
Martin.

Last edited:
OK so I'm a non-trad, been out of school 7 years with a BS in Biochem and a MS in developmental bio and am published as well as a bunch of EC including EMS volunteer and physician follows. My undergrad GPA was a 3.17 overall. I have not taken physics or chemistry of any kind in 11 years. I was shooting for a 30 and apparently my aim is not the greatest...
I'm applying to all Texas schools, including BCM where I did my graduate work at.

MCAT Scores:
VR = 8
PS = 7
BS = 10
W = O

This put me in the 43.7-49.6 percentile.

Do I even have a chance with this or should I retake? I'm thinking about submitting this cycle anyway and then retaking assuming I do not get any interviews in the near future...

thoughts?
thanks!
Martin.

Schools have have thousands of applicants and your gpa and mcat do you no favors. Unless you have something incredible in your app I'd work on your app. imo applying now for you will be a waste of money. Retake the mcat.

Members don't see this ad :)
Need some opinions here.

3.3 cgpa, 3.2 sgpa
1st Mcat: 10p, 9b, 7v = 26p
2nd Mcat: 12p, 11b, 6v (yup... a 6) = 29q
Nothing special in terms of ECs or clinical hours.

I'm an asian male in SoCal (awesome!), and my chances at Cali MD schools are next to nil, so my prime target is Western COMP in Pomona.

I really don't know what happened to my verbal this time around. I've never been that great at verbal, but I was shocked to see that my score actually went down. Any thoughts? Do I have a chance at Western (and surrounding DO schools) with my combination of Mcats?

Hello fellow pre-meds,

Does anybody KNOW if there is a disadvantage in taking MCAT 3 times and scoring better each time? Will that screw up my chances of getting admitted?

Hello fellow pre-meds,

Does anybody KNOW if there is a disadvantage in taking MCAT 3 times and scoring better each time? Will that screw up my chances of getting admitted?

no, it improves your chances.

but...how do you know you will improve?

and you should never plan to take the MCAT more than once.

on your first try, give it all that you have.

this is why practice AAMCs exist, so that you can take the test, without really taking the test.

ill just leave Q here for u guys and gals

took the mcat on 12th Aug... feel like i did my best but it was much much harder than practices tests 5-11..... i have an opening to retake on sept 8th even before my results come in.... I dunno if i should risk it and retake it on the 8th...

ill just leave Q here for u guys and gals

took the mcat on 12th Aug... feel like i did my best but it was much much harder than practices tests 5-11..... i have an opening to retake on sept 8th even before my results come in.... I dunno if i should risk it and retake it on the 8th...

Are you applying this cycle? If you are, you're a pretty rough spot. Retaking in Sept. means you won't be complete at most schools until mid-October, which is pretty late in the cycle (and that's assuming you pre-write all of your secondaries).

If you're not, it might not be worth the trouble. What happens if you find out you did well on the first test, only to bomb the second test? You would still have time to take the MCAT in the spring if things don't go well (yeah, it would require re-studying old material, but I would wait for your first score to come back before you panic).

Need some opinions here.

3.3 cgpa, 3.2 sgpa
1st Mcat: 10p, 9b, 7v = 26p
2nd Mcat: 12p, 11b, 6v (yup... a 6) = 29q
Nothing special in terms of ECs or clinical hours.

I'm an asian male in SoCal (awesome!), and my chances at Cali MD schools are next to nil, so my prime target is Western COMP in Pomona.

I really don't know what happened to my verbal this time around. I've never been that great at verbal, but I was shocked to see that my score actually went down. Any thoughts? Do I have a chance at Western (and surrounding DO schools) with my combination of Mcats?

Hard to say. Although your composite MCAT is competitive for most DO programs, that 6 in VR may or may not get you screened out (these things are always pretty difficult to figure out, since schools tend to avoid making explicit remarks concerning how they evaluate individual components of the MCAT). I would call the admissions office at the schools that you're interested in to determine their stances on your VR score.

Are you applying this cycle? If you are, you're a pretty rough spot. Retaking in Sept. means you won't be complete at most schools until mid-October, which is pretty late in the cycle (and that's assuming you pre-write all of your secondaries).

If you're not, it might not be worth the trouble. What happens if you find out you did well on the first test, only to bomb the second test? You would still have time to take the MCAT in the spring if things don't go well (yeah, it would require re-studying old material, but I would wait for your first score to come back before you panic).

ty :) it makes sense. i do want to apply this cycle :(

composite: 34R
PS: 11
VR: 8
BS: 15

Im concerned about the 8. should i retake?

i wouldn't. what was ur practice average? unless it was like a 36+ I would not. 15's are hard to replicate. You might increase the VR by a few points, but how do you know the PS and BS won't drop.

Took the test on 8/5 and just got my scores yesterday...29O (p=9, v=10, b=10). My aamc avg was 31ish but I got a 33 or 34 consistently on the last few i took. I feel dissappointed but not shocked. I'm NOT applying this cycle, so fortunately I do have some time to study and retake.

My cGPA and sGPA are both mediocre at about 3.65 from a pretty well-respected school. Massachusetts resident. EC's decent, nothing spectacular. I am applying MD and DO, so those stats should at least make me competitive for DO, right? I obviously want to still be competitive for MD as well, so right now I'm leaning towards retaking in Jan or early spring. Could I still be competitive with my current stats for MD? I know my score could have been a lot worse, but I feel like my whole app is just too average to stand out. All input is appreciated.

composite: 34R
PS: 11
VR: 8
BS: 15

Im concerned about the 8. should i retake?

I know someone at Hopkins with 12PS 8VR 12BS. Focus on other parts of your application. And I have a friend getting lots of interviews (top 25 schools) with 10 PS 9 VR and 14 BS although he got rejected from a numbers-heavy school (top 10) as his MCAT came out in August.

15's are hard to get, but you could probably bump the PS up a bit. Your next score could be 12 10 13, 11 10 12, etc. Your R should somewhat compensate for the 8, but I have no clue.

The MCAT Essentials states that humanities/social science coursework enhances the verbal score. My verbal score was surprisingly lower than my science scores. Should I consider retaking the MCAT after taking my humanities/social science coursework just to get a higher score or would that be unnecessary? Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
Hello all,

Like many others, I was wondering if I should retake. I got a 33Q (12 V, 11 PS, 10 BS). Yes, I did read the first post and most would say that I shouldn't retake, but here is some more information:

I'm currently a junior at WashU, GPA roughly 3.7. I really want to attend WashU again for medical school. (or Stanford..) I haven't done much research on med schools yet, but from what I can tell, my stats are no where near entrance to WashU Med.

On practice exams and such, I was getting 13s on PS/BS and like 11/12 on V. I'm quite surprised that my V is the highest, since that was my weakest subject. The writing was also surprising since I didn't finish one of them.. (I think i got 6s on the other one though...)

If I do retake, it would most likely be next summer since I am going abroad this spring. I feel that I could get a better score, but many have told me that it's not worth it for 3 or 4 points.

I just really love WashU :l

As for other stats and stuff, I'm Bio/Math double major and anthro minor. I'm in some WashU program called Medicine and Society and supposedly it will increase chances but idk (have a strong rec from this program).

Ummm... I did clinical research on urine/proteinuria during sophomore year, but nothing published. I'm just started working in a bacteria lab w/ staph, but the first semester is just low-level lab stuff and since I'm going abroad this spring, real work wont start until late summer or fall next year.

I did an internship this summer doing public health stuff (have a strong rec from this internship). I teach classes online and have been doing that for like 4 years. For volunteering, I went to Honduras last winter with Global Brigades and plan on going again this year.

I am also graduating next fall ....or this spring...

tl;dr I have 33Q, but I don't think it's high enough for the places I want to go and I think I can score a 36-38...

Thanks for reading

Adam

Stanford and WashU both require really high stats and are research powerhouses. You seem like you could get into some mid-tier schools, but nothing about your application is unique/stellar enough to make you attractive to top schools.

Yeah... <.< soo... retake?

When you can score 35-38 on the regular, it's not impossible for you to score a 33 since missing a few questions at the upper end can send you down a lot on the scale. I personally don't think a re-take is necessary but it seems you can bump up your score by 3-4 points. Your decision to re-take depends on your honest assessment of the probability of scoring 3-4 pts higher. It's up to you.

Just got my scores back

11/9/10 30S

3.5 cGPA, 3.4 sGPA (hopefully 3.6/3.5 by time I apply, top 20 institution notorious for grade deflation if that helps)

Good ECs, good focus on children but clinical exposure to all sorts of people all around.

LORs pending but should be average or above average.

Problem: State is OK... only 1 MD school. Should I retake? I've exhausted most quality materials so I would probably just review content and do some verbal and 1 FL before retaking in Jan... I was averaging 32-34s and got 35 and 34 on AAMC 10 and 11, respectively =(. I guess the 2PM VR and BS just raped me.

Edit: Strong upward trend in GPA(3.2 fresh to 3.8 soph, in 3rd year right now)

Last edited:
Today has been painful. Just got my results back: 9/8/8 O

Other than a diagnostic test, my LOWEST practice test score was 28, and my highest was 32. I expected to score within this range, but this exam (as many in the MCAT Discussion room will attest to) was a bear. OK, no excuses, whatever.

I realize that the short answer is "yes, retake." But I am still wondering, is it possible that I may get in somewhere? Other than this hideous MCAT score, I consider myself a very strong applicant.

I was home schooled, and was completely self-educated until high school. I have worked in the medical field for 2 years. I have an extensive volunteer resume that includes 4 years as a church musician, serving as medical director at a camp for the visually impaired, organizing fundraiser events, and hundreds of hours of tutoring through my school's chemistry department. My EC are also outstanding.

I am a 21 year old male CT resident. My LOR come from program directors, medical professionals, and professors; they depict me as God's gift to man. I will graduate from an American Chemical Society Certified program with a 3.98 GPA. What I'm asking is, has this test destroyed me?

Last edited:
Hi guys, first time poster here.

I got a 29R on the 8/12 MCAT. It was my second time taking it, but I voided my score the first time.

PS: 9
VR: 11
BS: 9

I have a 3.8 cumulative, 3.6 science and 4.0 non-science GPA. I have pretty good ECs (I only have six, but their ones that I've been involved in since I was a freshman in college and have gradually moved up into president/leader positions).

I live in New Jersey. So, what're my chances? Should I retake? Is MD totally out of the picture for me?

MCAT: (PS-14 V-7 B-11)
cGPA: 3.7
sGPA: 3.76
Top 20 university

AAMC practice: BS average was a 1-2 points higher, V average was around a 8, and PS around a 13-14

should I retake with the possibility of raising my BS and V? Im pretty sure I won't drop my 14 in PS

~3.85 GPA

MCAT: 30 (9 B, 10 P, 11 V)

ECs:
Around 125 hours of clinical volunteering
Lots of time working as a tutor
3 years of research (a year in two separate labs and a year and a half in a third).

Some involvement in various clubs but no leadership positions. Minnesota resident. Applying in the spring and really shooting for the U of M (32/3.73 average for those who matriculate)

Should I be retaking? I am hoping it's good enough but kind of worried the score is a bit low.

Hey everyone, just got my score back today. First time taking the test. I didn't get to study as much as I wanted to, and got some interesting results:

12VR
9BS
9PS
Writing:M

Not what I was expecting. I'm a bit concerned about not having double digit scores in either of the sciences, plus the writing is bad. Anyone have a similar experience? Is is worth it to retake and boost the science scores?

Some other info:

4.0 GPA, top liberal arts college
~80 hours shadowing
200+ hours in paid clinical internship experience
Tons of extracurriculars and service

Thanks in advance!

Last edited:
Hey guys, I just got my scores back and I don't know what to make of them. My 8 practice AAMC test scores ranged from 31-38. If it matters, the breakdown was
3- 13/12/10
4-12/12/10
5-13/11/12
7-10/11/10
8-13/10/12
9-13/9/11
10-13/12/13
11-12/12/12

Actual-11/11/11 Q
I can't say I'm not a little disappointed, but at the same time the score seems pretty solid and evenly distributed. I'm mainly looking to apply in state (FL). Any input would be appreciated.

Here's a little extra info: 4.00 GPA, average extracurriculars, volunteering, research, etc.

Hey guys, I just got my scores back and I don't know what to make of them. My 8 practice AAMC test scores ranged from 31-38. If it matters, the breakdown was
3- 13/12/10
4-12/12/10
5-13/11/12
7-10/11/10
8-13/10/12
9-13/9/11
10-13/12/13
11-12/12/12

Actual-11/11/11 Q
I can't say I'm not a little disappointed, but at the same time the score seems pretty solid and evenly distributed. I'm mainly looking to apply in state (FL). Any input would be appreciated.

Here's a little extra info: 4.00 GPA, average extracurriculars, volunteering, research, etc.

Why would you ever retake a 33 with a 4.0 unless you were only applying to top tier schools? With decent extracurriculars you're going to be an extremely competitive candidate.

i got 14 ps, 8 vr, 12 bs, (34) and Q on essays
not exactly surprised with the sciences but verbal i was getting consistently 9 or 10 and a few 11s
gpa is 3.75, 4th year at uc berkeley

should i retake? i see that 8 at verbal and it just makes me wince knowing that 80-85% of my practice verbals were higher...

i mean i'm looking at applying to some top schools but really i'd be fine with A med school...just worried about that 8 sticking out like a sore thumb

GPA:3.68
BCPM: 3.71

Major: Biomedical Enginnering at a State Tech School.

MCAT: 29Q (9V 9B 11PS) First-time

On practices i got 8-11 on V, 9-12 on B, and 10-14 on ps.

Am i competitive at any MD school? and should i retake?
if so how should i study? i did on my own first time.
Thanks for reading.

After reading everyones posts I feel horrible about my score. I know I probably have to take the MCAT again but am dreading the whole process. I got a V7 P5 B8 and Q on the writing (20Q). I don't know what went wrong in the V and P cause in all of my practice tests I was getting 9+ on them :(. I would like to think my overall GPA (3.33) and performance and application would be good enough but what are your thoughts? And I have submitted secondary apps to 2 school already. Do you think I'd have time to retake in time to still go into the 2012 cycle? Any help/advice is appreciated!

Hi guys, long time reader, first time posting. So I took my exam Aug 18, 2011 and am applying in the summer of 2012. Got a 24R PS - 8 VR - 8 BS - 8 GPA: 3.42 I live in CA, but I'm planning on going out of state. I have close to 3 years of volunteer experience and 2 years of research. Will I be able to get into a US school or do I need to retake? **sidenote: DO isn't an option for me Thanks

Hi guys, long time reader, first time posting. So I took my exam Aug 18, 2011 and am applying in the summer of 2012. Got a 24R PS - 8 VR - 8 BS - 8 GPA: 3.42 I live in CA, but I'm planning on going out of state. I have close to 3 years of volunteer experience and 2 years of research. Will I be able to get into a US school or do I need to retake? **sidenote: DO isn't an option for me Thanks

Why not?

**sidenote: beggars can't be choosers

Status
Not open for further replies.