Forum Members Official "Should I Retake?" Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

QofQuimica

Seriously, dude, I think you're overreacting....
Moderator Emeritus
Lifetime Donor
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
EDIT 12/21/18: This thread is being retired, as the majority of posts (>80 pages) pertain to the old MCAT that is no longer relevant to current applicants. You can find the current "Should I Retake" thread here: Forum Members - Should I Retake the MCAT?

For those of you who are trying to figure out whether you should re-take, this is the thread for you. Post your dilemma here if you want advice from other SDN folks. Please note that you should take the opinions you get from SDN as one source of advice; you would be wise to also consult your premed advisor before making this decision. Here is my personal advice for those considering whether to re-take:

Definitely DO retake:
-if you scored below a 24. Some allopathic schools will screen out students with scores lower than 24, which is about the mean score for all test-takers.
-if you had some kind of major problem during the test that affected your performance (ex. you started puking or running a 102 degree temperature)
-if you took the test without completing the four pre-reqs (one year each of biology, chemistry, physics, and organic) and/or without studying for it
-if you left large numbers of questions blank​

Definitely do NOT retake:
-if you scored a 30 or better, especially if all of your individual section scores were an 8 or better
-if your section subscores (the numerical ones) are all good, but you didn't perform well on the writing section (the letter score)

Gray area-it's not obvious what to do:
-if you scored 30+ but with one section below an 8
-if you had some minor nuisances (ex. a noisy test room) during the test and you're not sure if it affected your performance
-if you studied thoroughly for the test and you scored within the range of your practice exams, but your score is in the middle range (24-29)​

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 4 users
My score is 33N (PS:14, VR:7, BS:12). English is not my first language and I am not sure how much I can improve my VR score if I retake it. But I would do it if a 7 in VR is going to get me automatically rejected. Should I retake if I do not have to go to the top 20?

3rd time MCAT score: 10PS, 8VR, 13BS, Q.

The last 2 times, the PS and BS were good but VR was 6,7. Should I retake with 3.95 GPA and average EC?

Members don't see this ad :)
First time taker. I scored 29S (9PS, 11V, 9BS). GPA is about 3.9 straight and 3.96 science. Non-traditional student/ career-changer/ work full-time. Shadowed about 200 hours and volunteered about 200 clinical hours.

I was all over the place in practices, everything from 26 to 36. Most scores about 32. The range really depended on the nature of PS (theoretical v. math-heavy). My MCAT had a horrendous PS section---for that test, a 29 seemed pretty amazing.

I desperately want to go to UMass, where a 29 qualifies as the 10th percentile. So it's a low score there. Really, it's a low score most places. I think I could improve 2 or 3 points if I retake...maybe. I also think taking it again demonstrates drive and dedication. However, with limited time, I'd also like to use my time constructively... like, learning Spanish, taking Biochem, volunteering more. Which do you think is more important?

Any thoughts are appreciated. Thanks!

I am at a conflict with myself.

This was the first time I took the MCAT and I scored a 31Q with a breakdown of 9PS/11V/11BS. The PS section threw me off and I know I can do better in BS as well. I really didn't get to study very much during the school year because of research and class.

I have a cGPA of 3.95 and a sGPA of 3.96 with regular EC involving medical and non-medical volunteering, shadowing, leadership, research, and honors.

Should I retake? I am thinking of applying to mostly midwest and east coast schools. If I do retake, it would be around June and July. Is it reasonable to think I can improve a few points in just a month?

I got a 32 S
12 in both sciences and an 8 in verbal. I know that this is a decent score but i'm worried that the low verbal will get me screened out...my GPA is great (I think I still have a 4.0 at Rutgers NB) and i've done research and the whole 9 yards...I just don't want my verbal to bring me down. Should I retake?

32R
11 in both science section and 10 in VR. I am a re applicant but I only applied to one American school last go (I am Canadian.) My overall gpa is low at 3.4 but my trend is solid. 2.9 all the way to 3.9, steady increase each year.

Also, I believe with a full month commitment I could improve. I studied hard for about 2 and a half weeks to achieve the 32R, and I was scoring 13's on practice tests (except VR, 10 is the highest I have ever achieved.)

Thoughts?

I'm not sure what to do here. My first time I scored 12PS 10VR 8BS 30 O. I have a cGPA=3.70 and sGPA=3.71 I would say I have average ECs and I have been spending the whole semester studying for a retake but I'm not sure if it's a great idea. I'm confident my BS score will go up but I'm not sure what will happen to my other two sections!

1st Time: 30 (11PS, 8VR, 11BS)
2nd Time: 28 (10PS, 8VR, 10BS)

I think taking it one more time is worth a shot, and I am pretty sure I won't get lower a 28 the 3rd time. My averages on AAMC, BR, was around a 33.

If I take it a 3rd time, I will probably submit my application beginning of July.

Any advice will help.

Thanks guys!

You have no option but to take it again.

PS/VR/BS: 14/9/13 Q

Should I retake it if I were to aim for top schools?

I am Canadian and am aware that I will be cut off from a few Canadian schools - I am looking for advice on American schools!

My gpa is around 3.99.

Thanks!!

I am Canadian and am aware that I will be cut off from a few Canadian schools - I am looking for advice on American schools!

My gpa is around 3.99.

Thanks!!

I would not retake. That's a great score.

My gpa is around 3.99.

Thanks!!

From the stats I've seen, that score will be solid for most top schools with a 4 year GPA of 3.99. But yeah as you know the top Canadian schools usually expect at least a 10 on VR.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm curious as to why? It is because (s)he went down in score? I would have thought the first score would be good enough, but does it look worse when that happens?

It looks terrible if you retake and score worse. Even scoring the same is looked down upon.

It makes the adcoms wonder if you got a better score by chance. If your score goes up significantly (~3ish pts) then it's a good thing. You have to make it stick if you're going to redo things.

31L. The break down was 12,7,12 (PS,VS,BS). My GPA is 3.9 and I have average EC. What do you guys think? It was my first time taking it and I am just so torn if I should take this beast again. :( I don't even have a legit excuse for why my VS and writing were so low.....I was born and raised in America. :( :( :( I thought I knew how to read and write, guess I don't.

I got a 31Q (10 PS, 10 VR, 11 BS). I was averaging a ~35 (12 PS, 10 VR, 13 BS) on AAMC and Kaplan practice tests. My sGPA and cGPA are 4.0 each. I have fairly standard EC's (ER scribe, a few years of research, shadowing, community service). Just wondering if I should retake because I definitely didn't feel 100% when I was taking it. I'm also trying to apply this upcoming cycle, and the next available test date is in July. Thanks!

Should I retake? I'm applying to DO schools and low-tier MD schools.

cGPA 3.42, sGPA 3.35
31S: 10 PS, 11 V, 10 BS

31L. The break down was 12,7,12 (PS,VS,BS). My GPA is 3.9 and I have average EC. What do you guys think? It was my first time taking it and I am just so torn if I should take this beast again. :( I don't even have a legit excuse for why my VS and writing were so low.....I was born and raised in America. :( :( :( I thought I knew how to read and write, guess I don't.

The overall score is good. Your GPA is awesome.

Still, I personally would retake due to both low VR and WS. (If it was just writing, I wouldn't, but I am afraid the combo looks concerning.) I know a retake sucks and will require a lot of work, but I would be worried that a 7 would screen you out early.

If you have some target schools, I would call their admissions offices to ask their opinions.

Should I retake MCAT this summer (Late July) , applying this summer as well.

Just graduated undergrad suma cum laude with a 3.95 overal GPA, my sGPA is a 3.93.
My MCAT is 29N 9PS:10VR:10BS. That is my retake score, the first time I got a 27L 10PS:7VR:10 BS.

I have really good EC's.
Ran D2 Cross Country/indoor track/outdoor track (essentially a three sport collegiate athlete)
Volunteered at hospital,for YMCA, Local running races.
Was a "big" for big brothers big sisters for a school year
VP of Student athlete advisory committee
Sec. of Premed club
Worked for two years at local YMCA while going to school and running D2
Many hours of shadowing (Ortho surgeon, Fam Med, Patho)

I applied to 7 schools this past cycle, got two interview and ultimately one upper tier wait list at University of Michigan. The other schools I applied to were definitely out of my range ( john hopkins, baylor, UNC, UWisc, Uminn) . Plan on applying to more schools this cycle and ones that are more attainable for my stats. I'm also doing a one year masters program this coming year at UMich in physiology.

So the real question: Should I spend my summer studying for and retaking my MCAT?

Thanks!

Friend of mine is getting ready to apply, and she has a lot of good things going for her:

3.96 cum GPA
2 years Immunotherapy research
1 year pathogenic E. coli research
1 year hospital volunteering

However she recently got her MCAT back and received:

31 O

She asked me for advice of whether to retake or not. I'm thinking she should, but am worried it could delay her application this year and be harmful.

What do you think I should advise her?

Should I retake? I'm applying to DO schools and low-tier MD schools.

cGPA 3.42, sGPA 3.35
31S: 10 PS, 11 V, 10 BS

Definitely don't retake a very balanced MCAT.

Should I retake MCAT this summer (Late July) , applying this summer as well.

Just graduated undergrad suma cum laude with a 3.95 overal GPA, my sGPA is a 3.93.
My MCAT is 29N 9PS:10VR:10BS. That is my retake score, the first time I got a 27L 10PS:7VR:10 BS.

I have really good EC's.
Ran D2 Cross Country/indoor track/outdoor track (essentially a three sport collegiate athlete)
Volunteered at hospital,for YMCA, Local running races.
Was a "big" for big brothers big sisters for a school year
VP of Student athlete advisory committee
Sec. of Premed club
Worked for two years at local YMCA while going to school and running D2
Many hours of shadowing (Ortho surgeon, Fam Med, Patho)

I applied to 7 schools this past cycle, got two interview and ultimately one upper tier wait list at University of Michigan. The other schools I applied to were definitely out of my range ( john hopkins, baylor, UNC, UWisc, Uminn) . Plan on applying to more schools this cycle and ones that are more attainable for my stats. I'm also doing a one year masters program this coming year at UMich in physiology.

So the real question: Should I spend my summer studying for and retaking my MCAT?

Thanks!

That's a personal choice It looks like you can get accepted into medical school as long as you're realistic. The main thing you should be worrying about is applying broadly and early. I would apply to at least 20 schools and noting ridiculous like Hopkins, Baylor etc...

Friend of mine is getting ready to apply, and she has a lot of good things going for her:

3.96 cum GPA
2 years Immunotherapy research
1 year pathogenic E. coli research
1 year hospital volunteering

However she recently got her MCAT back and received:

31 O

She asked me for advice of whether to retake or not. I'm thinking she should, but am worried it could delay her application this year and be harmful.

What do you think I should advise her?

If she wants to go to top-tier medical schools then her MCAT score is too low, they generally accept > 34. However, if she wants to get into mid-tier schools then no need for a retake assuming the score is balanced. I would say a 31 MCAT score complete in June is probably equivalent to a 33 in September so it's very important she applies early.

Hey guys, would love some input-
took the MCAT on 4/13, got a 32R (10/12/10). I wasn't thrilled (I was scoring in the 33-35 range by the time I was finishing studying) and was really hoping for at least a 34.

My cGPA is a 3.58, sGPA a 3.45, both with strong upward trends. I'm a senior at a non-HYP ivy.

Strong recs, excellent extracurriculars and shadowing, weaker on community service though.

I'm considering retaking it with a goal of getting 11+ on the science sections, any feedback? My GPA isn't great, so I was hoping to make up for that a little with a strong MCAT score..

Thank you!

Hey guys, would love some input-
took the MCAT on 4/13, got a 32R (10/12/10). I wasn't thrilled (I was scoring in the 33-35 range by the time I was finishing studying) and was really hoping for at least a 34.

My cGPA is a 3.58, sGPA a 3.45, both with strong upward trends. I'm a senior at a non-HYP ivy.

Strong recs, excellent extracurriculars and shadowing, weaker on community service though.

I'm considering retaking it with a goal of getting 11+ on the science sections, any feedback? My GPA isn't great, so I was hoping to make up for that a little with a strong MCAT score..

Thank you!

I have a very similar situation. I opted not to retake.

General advice is not to retake unless you are sure you would get at least 3 points higher.

If you have an area you know is weak (and is easy to work on, like service), my personal opinion is that strengthening that area would be a better use of your time than studying when you're MCAT is fine. Basically, if you are not as successful as you would like this cycle, I would guess your good MCAT score isn't the reason.

My cum GPA is 3.597 and my sGPA is 3.674.

I have good shadowing hours and have clinical experience as an EMT for 1 1/2 years and 3 years of independent research.

11PS, 11VR, 10BS for a 32P

GPA was 2.89 for my undergrad, 4.0 in a postbac of all the prereqs, for a cGPA 3.15, sGPA 3.66. I know the grades are bad, but they are balanced by over three years of full-time international volunteer work. I've also got the usual clinical volunteering and shadowing.

I was getting a steady stream of 35's in the AAMC practice tests, even one 36. It was very disappointing to end up three points below my average for no readily apparent reason, and I wouldn't think of a retake if it wasn't for this.

I'll be applying to MD and DO, but I'm really hoping for MD, so bringing my MCAT up would help me greatly. I'm sure I can improve my score by at least two points. On the other hand, I won't be able to take the test until July 26th. My main question is, even if I bring my score up, will the late test date hurt me more than the improved score helps?

My MCAT is a 30Q, 10 across the board, and my GPA is a 3.5 total and a 3.7 science. I have 3 summer's of research, hospital volunteering, shadowing, a public health brigades trip, and a thesis.

Should I retake? I got 5 points lower than what I got on the FL's. Ideally, I'd love to go a school in D.C area because of my major, but otherwise I'm mostly looking at east coast schools. If I would retake, I would be taking it in december (I know not ideal).

My practice test average was 33 with my highest score being a 38..The only time I scored a 29 was on my diagnostic for kaplan! I want to retake on June 21st, but I don't want my applications to be turned in too late.

I was curious as to whether I could apply to one school with the 29 mcat and get verified; that way I could simply add in my new mcat score in mid July and already be verified.This way I will be ready to apply to other schools immediately..Is this a possible strategy??

My practice test average was 33 with my highest score being a 38..The only time I scored a 29 was on my diagnostic for kaplan! I want to retake on June 21st, but I don't want my applications to be turned in too late.

I was curious as to whether I could apply to one school with the 29 mcat and get verified; that way I could simply add in my new mcat score in mid July and already be verified.This way I will be ready to apply to other schools immediately..Is this a possible strategy??

Yes it is and it's not a bad strategy. You could apply to all the schools and simply tell them you are retaking.

Yes it is and it's not a bad strategy. You could apply to all the schools and simply tell them you are retaking.

Yeah I will most likely follow your advice, thank you. Do you think that medical schools will likely reject me based on my mcat score even if I note that I am retaking?

do med school look down on multiple retakes? I have taken the mcats twice so far and if both scores are significantly below my average on practice FLs then should I take it a 3rd time?

do med school look down on multiple retakes? I have taken the mcats twice so far and if both scores are significantly below my average on practice FLs then should I take it a 3rd time?

What I've seen on here seems to be that 3 is the absolute limit, and that it's looked down on if you don't go up a few points.

Should I retake with a 28S, 3.65 cGPA and 3.6sGPA as well as a 4.0 GPA in a masters program in physiology. Breakdown is p:8 V:10, B:10

I took the april 5th mcat and scored a 30 Q (14 PS 5 VR 11 BS). I know I need to retake the exam because of my low verbal score. I am currently signed up for the July 6th exam, but I have not studied any material since taking my MCAT in April. I know the science material pretty well, but I know I need to go over it, as well as practice my VR. I don't know if one month of studying will be enough time and I am contemplating pushing it back one month. Is this a good idea? Anyone else been in the same boat?

I got a 30R (12 PS, 10VR, 8BS). I have a 3.89 cGPA and a 4.00 sGPA. Should i retake it?

Yes, if you're shooting for the Top 10 schools. I think an 8 in BS can definitely improve - are you having trouble with orgo or bio? Or both? If you review your material thoroughly, you can definitely get above a 10.

Hi,

I got a 34R on the MCAT the summer after my sophomore year (Aug 2010) of undergrad (took Kaplan online). 11VR 13PS 10BS

Things to consider:
My final GPA from Cornell is low, 3.26c/ 3.3s, and I'm wondering if an MCAT score increase will really help my chances at an MD school much (I think my stats are okay for a DO)
BS section had 1 or 2 passages of biochemistry that really threw me off because I had never seen it before; don't really know where it came from, but in the last two years I've taken about 5 different biochem related classes.
Would study for 1-2 months and retake at the end of July

Thanks for any advice on if going through with another round of MCAT prep is going to pay off!

I got a 30M on my April 13th MCAT, and felt I could improve my score with a change of study habits. So I signed up for the August 27 test. However, now I'm considering not retaking at all.

I just submitted to AMCAS this week, indicating my future test date. Yet, I've now heard that medical schools will not consider my application until the second MCAT comes through. This second score will likely come around late Sept, and not being considered until so late sounds terrible!

I could change my test date to June 21st or July 6th, but that'd give me just a handful of weeks to prepare.

I'm thinking the best thing to do is cancel this second test, and change my AMCAS app indicating that I will not be taking a future MCAT. What do you guys think?

I took the april 5th mcat and scored a 30 Q (14 PS 5 VR 11 BS). I know I need to retake the exam because of my low verbal score. I am currently signed up for the July 6th exam, but I have not studied any material since taking my MCAT in April. I know the science material pretty well, but I know I need to go over it, as well as practice my VR. I don't know if one month of studying will be enough time and I am contemplating pushing it back one month. Is this a good idea? Anyone else been in the same boat?

I took the Apr 5 MCAT as well. Congrats on the high science scores! I personally think it will take more than a month to get that verbal score up. I was a retaker and scored a 28 on my first test may of 2011 (10/6/12) and took some time off studying and dedicated the spring semester to really nailing down the sciences and spending time with a private tutor for verbal (10 hours with TPR). My new score was 14/10/11 for a 35. I think it definitely more important to spend time on getting that 5 up to at least an 8 or 9 than it is to apply early. If you rush and take it again without being fully prepared and score say a 7, you may be looking at having to take it a 3rd time which I know would not be ideal!!

Also, I would take a little bit of time to review the sciences. while you crushed them the first time, you could have been lucky to get content on the actual MCAT that you knew really really well, and may be unlucky and get some stuff on your retake that you arent as familiar with. just make sure you have all your bases covered and you are TRULY prepared before you take it again!!

just my two cents!! good luck!!

Hey all,
I took the MCAT in April, got a 31P (12PS, 10VR, 9BS), overall I am satisfied with my score except for the BS because I was normally scoring 12/ 13 in the practice.

The reason I am trying to retake is to offset my low GPA (3.26c and 3.4science). I know with a few more weeks of studying, I can crack at least 35/36.

The problem is that I am not sure I will have enough time with secondaries coming up, and then it will be another month before I get my score (so early September before they see the new score). Should I push and try the retake for the end of July/ early August?

PS: If I don't get in this year, I will most likely do a post-bac so I might end up retaking it in the future anyway.

Just got my score back from the 5/12/12 test date:

29S (11 VR / 9 PS / 9 BS)

I have a 4.0 sGPA and 3.99 cGPA with lots of clinical experience & shadowing (ER scribe, hospice volunteer, etc) and extracurriculars. I'm a TX resident so I'll be applying everywhere in Texas and a few schools out of state. Do you think I'm good to go with this score or do I need to retake it? It's a little low for some of the schools I was hoping to apply to, but I don't want to retake it and score even lower :/

So I took the MCAT april 28th and got a 29M:10PS, 8V, 11BS. I have already registered for the july 6th test date, and I know I can do better than a 29. My main concern is the timing of my application, should I apply within this week with a 29? Or take the mcat july 6th, get a better score, BUT have everything in by August 7th?

The rest of my application is very strong:

GPA: 3.8, sci: 3.7
Research for 2 years
Shadowed 5 Dr.s
Letters of rec. I've been told are really strong
(I do have other activities..)

Im also a NJ resident, hoping to get into one of the NJ schools.

Hey a friend just got a 8/12/12 N

32N

She's worried about her low PS score and I told her that it was fine but I wanted to hear other opinions on it.

Took the May 12th MCAT and got a 29Q. (VR:9,PS:12,BS:8) I know I can do better on the biological sciences but was pleased with the other sections. I hated verbal reasoning. I am planning on applying to UAB, South Alabama, Vandy, and some other southeast schools. I know I could do better but I really want to know if I'll be competitive with this score and especially the 8 in bio? I really don't want to have to retake it but if I have no chance then I will. Just trying to get some feedback. Thanks

So I got my scores earlier and have been in a tizzy all day about what to do

8 PS/10 VR / 11 BS for a 29Q overall.

In addition, I have a 3.95 GPA, with my science GPA being just about the same. I have some pretty decent extracurriculars including research in a lab for three years for which I received a pretty nice fellowship for. I have also volunteered at a Children's hospital bedside and hope to begin adding in working with families in the patient resource center which is essentially a library where parents can learn more about their child's illnesses. In addition to a few clubs, I have worked part time as well. Advice on whether I should retake? I know I am right on the fence. A point either way in the other directions, and I don't think I would be so concerned!

Thanks for any of your help

Would anyone ever consider retaking a 36R?

I'm looking at top schools, but I don't know if it's worth it to kill myself for the next month only to get a few points higher.

Status
Not open for further replies.