Forum Members Official "Should I Retake?" Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

QofQuimica

Seriously, dude, I think you're overreacting....
Moderator Emeritus
Lifetime Donor
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
EDIT 12/21/18: This thread is being retired, as the majority of posts (>80 pages) pertain to the old MCAT that is no longer relevant to current applicants. You can find the current "Should I Retake" thread here: Forum Members - Should I Retake the MCAT?

For those of you who are trying to figure out whether you should re-take, this is the thread for you. Post your dilemma here if you want advice from other SDN folks. Please note that you should take the opinions you get from SDN as one source of advice; you would be wise to also consult your premed advisor before making this decision. Here is my personal advice for those considering whether to re-take:

Definitely DO retake:
-if you scored below a 24. Some allopathic schools will screen out students with scores lower than 24, which is about the mean score for all test-takers.
-if you had some kind of major problem during the test that affected your performance (ex. you started puking or running a 102 degree temperature)
-if you took the test without completing the four pre-reqs (one year each of biology, chemistry, physics, and organic) and/or without studying for it
-if you left large numbers of questions blank​

Definitely do NOT retake:
-if you scored a 30 or better, especially if all of your individual section scores were an 8 or better
-if your section subscores (the numerical ones) are all good, but you didn't perform well on the writing section (the letter score)

Gray area-it's not obvious what to do:
-if you scored 30+ but with one section below an 8
-if you had some minor nuisances (ex. a noisy test room) during the test and you're not sure if it affected your performance
-if you studied thoroughly for the test and you scored within the range of your practice exams, but your score is in the middle range (24-29)​

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 4 users
I made a 35L (12 PS, 11 VR, 12 BS). I really thought my writing score would be in the average range, but I wasn't expecting to do that poorly. Will that score keep me from receiving secondary applications from some schools? I currently have a 4.0 GPA, and I'm working on improving my ECs (summer medical program, leadership positions, shadowing, etc). It might also be worth noting that I won't be applying until next cycle, so I'm assuming a lot of applicants won't even have a writing score. Will that mean mine won't even be considered?

Also, would a well written personal statement help offset my low writing score? I think my main issue with the essays was the 30 minute time limit.
I'm afraid no one can definitively answer the questions you've posited, but I would say it's unlikely you'd get screened out based on writing, it's possible your writing score will be considered even less then than it is now when you're applying with people without the WS, and that it seems reasonable to assume your PS will be a greater window into your verbal communicative skills than your WS score. All that said, and L is still a pitiful reason to retake a balanced 35, so I would just ignore it. :)

Thanks for the resposne. Considering that my application is verified, will applying early with an 8 in verbal balance out applying later with retake and 10 in verbal? Also, my overall score may not change much and I've heard that does not look good either.

Do you think I can get interviews if I apply broadly? I don't want to retake if it won't help that much.

Thanks again

Members don't see this ad :)
You're in good shape for UC-Davis and UC-Irvine with a 31. Like you said, retaking isn't something you're going to be enthusiastic about and it doesn't seem like you're super confident about it either (not all "I know I can hit 38" or anything) so I would say just stick with the 31. It's a longer shot for UCSD, UCSF, and UCLA, but you've got a great GPA (way above the average at all UC's) and hopefully "very solid" EC's right? Really though, it just seems like retaking isn't something you're too open to, and especially if you didn't under-perform compared to your practice test average I wouldn't retake.

My average on practices was a 34 =_=. But I heard it's normal to be +- 3 from that on the real thing, so I got the low end of that deal. I know UCSF and UCLA are totally a big time reach, but I'm hoping that I'll have a decent shot at UCSD, since that's the one I really want to get into.

Thanks for the input!

Hi everyone. I need some advice... I just got my scores back and didn't do so well. I scored a 31P (10 VR, 8 PS, 13 BS). I didn't finish the test and had to guess on the last page of each section, and was actually planning to void it, but figured I had studied hard and might as well score it. I actually thought I scored in the low 20s, because I know 4 easy questions in PS alone that I didn't have time to calculate/answer. That said, the 31 doesn't seem so bad actually, but still wasn't the 33 I was aiming for. I'm a non-trad with an M.S. and a lot of medically related volunteer experience (overseas too), and I've been working as a scientist for the past few years, but medicine has always been my passion. My uGPA is 3.74, with a sGPA of 3.72. Do you think I should try and apply this cycle with what I have or retake the test at the end of July (I signed up immediately following the last test)? I'm just torn, because my average aamcs were 33-34 and that isn't significantly higher than 31 (that 8 is what worries me most). I'm also worried if I retake, my BS score or VR could go down, even though I know my PS would go up. I don't know what to do... Any thoughts? I'm also aiming for CA schools.

Last edited:
Hi one of my friends got a 29 on the mcat and her scores were 10, 10, 9. gpa is a 3.81 or so and science gpa is a 3.7. Resident in NC. Great extracurriculars and recommendations. Should the person retake or not?
It depends on what she wants. Her GPA is good, sGPA could be a bit higher, but with a 3.8 and a 29 she should be able to get in somewhere with a broad, smart, and early application. Provided, of course, that her overall application is sound. If she's set on top schools, she'll obviously need to retake.
Thanks for the resposne. Considering that my application is verified, will applying early with an 8 in verbal balance out applying later with retake and 10 in verbal? Also, my overall score may not change much and I've heard that does not look good either.

Do you think I can get interviews if I apply broadly? I don't want to retake if it won't help that much.

Thanks again
You're asking if applying early with the 8 in VR is the same as applying late with a 10? I can't say, but in general I think applying early is just a "smart move" sort of measure; it's not as if it makes you a more competitive applicant, it just makes it more likely you'll get seen before the majority of interview invites are given out.

If you believe you're able to go up to a 10 in VR, you'll need those points to be added to your score (i.e. improve overall.) The average MCAT for the Top 20 schools is 34.98 = ~35, so while you would still have a chance with a 32, that chance is diminished with it unbalanced. As far as getting interviews, I don't know. I think you could probably get interviews in general because a 32, even unbalanced, isn't a bad score, but not necessarily at the top 20.

How much a retake would help depends. I wouldn't expect to be competitive at top 20 schools specifically without a retake that both improves on the verbal at least somewhat and is higher overall.
My average on practices was a 34 =_=. But I heard it's normal to be +- 3 from that on the real thing, so I got the low end of that deal. I know UCSF and UCLA are totally a big time reach, but I'm hoping that I'll have a decent shot at UCSD, since that's the one I really want to get into.

Thanks for the input!
Ah, yeah that's rough. Well, you've got ties to UCSD as an undergrad there, so maybe that'll work in your favor. Good luck!

I'm afraid no one can definitively answer the questions you've posited, but I would say it's unlikely you'd get screened out based on writing, it's possible your writing score will be considered even less then than it is now when you're applying with people without the WS, and that it seems reasonable to assume your PS will be a greater window into your verbal communicative skills than your WS score. All that said, and L is still a pitiful reason to retake a balanced 35, so I would just ignore it. :)

Thanks!

26T
9VR
9PS
8BS

Vaccination researcher at Mayo Clinic, 4.0 GPA, very active in volunteering for a transplant house, also lead my school's Activities Board.

Retake or no?

26T
9VR
9PS
8BS

Vaccination researcher at Mayo Clinic, 4.0 GPA, very active in volunteering for a transplant house, also lead my school's Activities Board.

Retake or no?
If you want to get into a US MD school, retake. But as Darwin is getting at, don't do it until you know you can hit 30+.

Hi.
I'm a UCLA undergraduate looking to apply in next cycle (2013). I don't think I count as a CA resident when I apply because I went to high school in a different state and I've been paying out-of-state tuition. (correct me if i'm wrong) cGPA 3.6 sGPA 3.6 now.

I got 31M (PS 12 VR 9 BS 10) on May

Here are the reasons... why i think i should retake... even with 30+ score

First, i am not applying this cycle anyway so i have time
Second, i really panicked during the test. never panicked that much during practice tests. :(
Third, for my AAMC practice tests, I constantly got PS13-14 VR 9 BS 12-13 with overall 34 average. (I think it's an "okay" score for 34 average but still :( my goal is UC.)
Fourth, there are two more AAMC practice tests that i haven't taken. And I haven't reviewed any of my practice tests that i took. Also, I didn't even finish solving problems in my TBR books.
Fifith, I'm looking at UCs!!! but my GPA is too low with that score. Higher score needed to cover up that depressing :scared:GPA.

I don't have much ECs either. A couple of research experiences here and there. Little hospital volunteers. Probably spend a lot of time doing ECs in upcoming school year.

SHOULD I RETAKE?
If I do retake.. the possible date administered near LA in 2012 is august 11 latest.
A little over a month left. Would it be a good idea to retake on that date? UGHHH
HELPPPPPP PLEASE...

Hi

32 P (9/12/11 on VR/PS/BS)

GPA: 3.5
sGPA:3.3

Should I retake? Would I get in this year with that 32? I think I might need a 35 my GPA trend is very see-saw and not upward trend at all :( I have 3C's 2P's and 1W.

Thoughts anyone?

Members don't see this ad :)
32M
PS/VR/BS = 11/10/11

GPA = 3.78
sGPA = 3.8

I am a Louisiana resident. Should I retake the mcat in July and hope for a much higher score or apply now? Do I have any chance of getting into a top tier school? THANKS! :D

I took the June 21st MCAT. I won't know my scores for a few more weeks, but I feel certain that I did not hit my 35 AAMC average. I have no state schools to which I can apply (long story), so it's particularly important for me to score well on this test.

My questions are: 1.) If I'm now ready to submit on AMCAS, is there some way that I need to notify the schools that I will be likely be re-taking in August? and 2.) What difference is there between taking the test on Aug. 10 or Aug. 16 or Sept. 1? I know that it's always better to go complete earlier, but I was wondering if a week or two would make a MAJOR difference or if I was putting myself at a major disadvantage by retaking. My preference would be re-take on Aug. 16.

Lastly, I'm a non-traditional applicant. Although I never entered law school, I did take the LSAT a few years ago, thinking that I might find a career in health law. I scored in the top 2%. I saw there was a place on AMCAS to enter other tests. Is it worth entering this information or could the fact that I took the LSAT work against me? I've searched for other threads, but there doesn't appear to be a clear answer for this situation.

Thanks for the help, and best of luck to everyone in the application cycle.

Hey everyone. I need some advice...

I am starting an SMP program this fall. I got in with a 28O MCAT, but am wondering if I'll need to retake it or if med schools will make their decision primarily based on how I do in the program itself.

Thanks in advance.

29O (8-VR 10-PS 11-BS)

3.51 cGPA from top 25 school known for rough grading

OH resident

I haven't submitted my primary application yet because I can't tell if I need to retake or not. If I retake, it would have to be at the end of August because I need time to study (I haven't looked at my study books since last year). At the same time, I'm worried that if I do retake, the score will take time showing up on my app, delay secondaries/interviews (assuming I get them) and worsen my chances even more. Schools I've been looking at are all 31-32 average MCAT and my GPA is pretty questionable, so I feel like retaking is almost a necessity at this point. Yea or nay?

32M
PS/VR/BS = 11/10/11

GPA = 3.78
sGPA = 3.8

I am a Louisiana resident. Should I retake the mcat in July and hope for a much higher score or apply now? Do I have any chance of getting into a top tier school? THANKS! :D

Unless you were hitting higher scores on your AAMCs, no. A 32 is a good score, albeit not for a "top tier" school. Your GPAs are a bit low for the top schools anyway. I think your 3.78/3.8/32 will be competitive. Good luck.

27S (9 PS, 8 VR, 10 BS)

3.8 GPA

Should I retake?

For MD, yes. For DO, no.

I am kind of nervous, and I need the help and advise from the forum community.

Background:
-I have taken all of the practice AAMCs and Scored 30's and above on all of them.
-I just took the MCAT last week and I am waiting for my score.
-During the practice tests, I always had a little trouble finishing (had to rush on last two passages).
-Even with rushing I was still able to do well on the practice tests.

Context for Question:
-During the actual MCAT, I do not know whether I zoned in, or zoned out, but I flew through the test finishing the sections quicker then I ever have before.
-When I took the practice tests I had a very good recollection of the questions, and specifically the questions I was struggling with.
-During the actual MCAT, I flew through it so quickly I do not remember anything.
-I feel like my mind was kind of foggy, and I have never flew through any exam that quickly before.

Question:
I have no idea whether I bombed it, scored average, or killed the test.
I have about three weeks to go until I get my score back, but I don't know if I should go ahead and schedule another MCAT just in case I didn't do well?
I am applying this application cycle, so I will need to work quickly to get another MCAT in if I didn't do well.
I don't know if I should continue to study at this time, because I really need this time to work on my secondary applications.

Has anyone who has taken the exam experienced anything similar to this?

Any advice will be appreciated.

Thank you.

Overall philosophical question:

I am signed up for the 27 July MCAT. If you look at the score release dates, that is the very last possible date to get your score back in time to retake this year. As a principle is it better to take the MCAT early but a bit shaky, knowing that you have a potential second date to fall back on, or later and more prepared, but knowing that you have no second chance. I don't need to blow this thing out of the water, I just need to be solid.

hi guys, first time post here. So I took the 5/19 mcat and got a 27N (10 PS, 9 V, 8 BS) and was really upset with my BS score. I took over 15 full length exams and not once did I score that low. I was averaging 12's on the last several AAMC full lengths.

My averages for PS and Verbal were pretty close to what I actually got.

The 5/19 test was EXTREMELY heavy on experimental bio sections, which is my weakness. But I also realize that most of the more recent exams have been like that.

I already submitted my primary applications, and am pretty happy about my PS, activities etc. My sGPA and overall GPA is about a 3.5. I wasn't planning on retaking, but its really depressing to know that my MCAT score will keep me out of most MD schools. I will apply to a few DO, but really prefer MD. I think the 8 in BS will be a HUGE red flag unfortunately.

I just don't know if retaking in august is smart time-wise. But I also think that 8 in BS was a fluke. Any advice would be really appreciated!!!

I had a very similar score with a 9 PS/10VR/8BS and I too was scoring in the mid 30s on the practice exams.

I am scheduled to take the August 10th exam but was wondering if people thought this is too late for the current cycle?

Hi all!

Got a 33Q in August 2011

PS: 12
VR: 11
BS: 10

Had been getting 12-13s on VR and BS in AAMC practices and ideally would like scores at that level. I was mostly disappointed in my BS score. I received a 3.8 GPA at a small liberal arts school known for being academically rigorous. Just graduated. Looking to take the exam again to be competitive for some high level schools (NYU, Mt Sinai, U Michigan) sometime in January or March of 2013. Wondering whether it may be worth it? It will be a lot of work to get back into the MCAT game, I will be working full time, perhaps taking a course to keep myself on track. And I want at least a 36. Any thoughts?

Scored a 9P, 8V, 10B for a 27M which was right at my average score on practice test. I scored a 26M last cycle as was waitlisted at 2 MD schools, but havent made it off the list.I will apply D.O. this application cycle. Last cylce I also applied very late as I didnt get my score back until mid October. Would I be better off taking the test again at the end of Aug/ beg of Sept or submit as is. I know I needed a a little higher score, but I dont know if the risk is worth it especially having to submit that late.

Advice?
How many points would I need to improve by for it to be worth it to retake.

Last edited:
Scored a 9P, 8B, 10B for a 27M which was right at my average score on practice test. I scored a 26M last cycle as was waitlisted at 2 MD schools, but havent made it off the list.I will apply D.O. this application cycle. Last cylce I also applied very late as I didnt get my score back until mid October. Would I be better off taking the test again at the end of Aug/ beg of Sept or submit as is. I know I needed a a little higher score, but I dont know if the risk is worth it especially having to submit that late.

Advice?
How many points would I need to improve by for it to be worth it to retake.

Generally, I hear 3 points is what you should aim for. I probably wouldn't retake if you have more schools in your range (DO) if you are saying you are right in your practice range...unless you are going to put a ton of work into relearning/studying until you are consistently scoring in the 30s. Even then, you will be late for this cycle.

DO hopeful or low tier md schools
GPA: 3.5
june mcat 22P (7-7-8)
Practice Scores: Was getting consistent 9s on PS so I guess I tanked on the real test. I know part of it was nerves but probably also insufficient preparation. I was also doing better on VR getting 8-10. BS was usually 8-9. Planned to retake in a few days (7/27) but would like a little more time and take it 8/3. Is the august date too late? Im not even sure if I can reschedule or not.

My main problem I think is time. I started my tests 2 1/2 weeks prior and was doing light content review for a couple months. I probably should have started practice tests earlier but I took the kaplan class and was doing well in it so I wasnt worried. Also during the summer I do a typically 40 hour week with research job (20 hr during the school year in addition to classes etc)

Ive been taking kaplan practice tests that I havent done before in the past week but have been getting 26s so I dont know if I should even bother retaking and just wait a year.

Sorry for the long post but just wondering whether it would make a difference in the application cycle if i retake it in a few days 7/27 or take a few more tests and be better prepared for 8/3. Also was wondering If I should retake aamc 10 and 11 or will my scores just be inflated? Thanks !

VR 7
PS 11
BS 10

Total 28 M

sGPA 4.00
GPA 3.97
Extracurricular & good letters

Should I retake?

I got a 34S, 12/11/11... I'm disappointed. I was scoring 38s and 39s on practice exams. I am aiming for top 15 schools, and my GPA (~3.9 cGPA at an ivy) and extracurricular profile, research, etc. are probably in range for those top schools... It seems like it's only the MCAT score that could really sink me. :(

If it makes a difference, I'm also Asian, so I don't know if adcoms "expect" higher scores from my demographic.

I recognize that my score is well-balanced, but should I retake for a 37 or so? I know it's late in the cycle and I've already submitted my primary for this cycle, but technically I could withdraw, retake, and reapply next cycle.... right?

Anybody have any suggestions? Any advice would be much appreciated.

Last edited:
I got a 34S, 12/11/11... I'm disappointed. I was scoring 38s and 39s on practice exams. I am aiming for top 15 schools, and my GPA (~3.9 cGPA at an ivy) and extracurricular profile, research, etc. are probably in range for those top schools... It seems like it's only the MCAT score that could really sink me. :(

If it makes a difference, I'm also Asian, so I don't know if adcoms "expect" higher scores from my demographic.

I recognize that my score is well-balanced, but should I retake for a 37 or so? I know it's late in the cycle and I've already submitted my primary for this cycle, but technically I could withdraw, retake, and reapply next cycle.... right?

Anybody have any suggestions? Any advice would be much appreciated.
You've already submitted for this cycle so I would continue with this cycle. With a 3.9/34 from an Ivy and solid ECs (including research), you still have a shot at top MD schools. Taking the MCAT again and scoring a few points higher isn't worth having to wait a year to to go medical school.

Also keep in mind a 3.9/37 wouldn't guarantee you a spot at a top 15 either...

Good luck with your application cycle!

VR 10
PS 12
BS 8

Total 30 P

Math major
cGPA 3.83
Great extracurricular with lots of overseas
Great LORs

Should I retake? I have been getting 9-10 on AAMC BS, but for some reason it turned out to be worse than expected... I wish to go to schools in NYC or NY in general..

Hello,

I recently got my scores back: PS: 8; VR: 10; BS: 9. I've improved 4 points from my previous MCAT score from a 23 to a 27. I have a GPA of 3.7. I have extensive clinical and research experience. What are my chances of getting into a decent school?

Non-Trad: Econ B.A.

GPA: CC: 3.68, UG:3.268, Post-Bac: 3.99

Good clinical exp, good LOR, some research

I'm 26, asian, CA resident. I already took a year off after post-bac for personal reasons.

June 21 MCAT: 25Q :( (PS 10, VR 7, BS 8)

I was scoring avg 30-31 on AAMC FL exams. Have never gotten verbal or bio scores this low in practice. Didn't seem nervous on the real MCAT. No clue what happened.:confused:
Retake in Aug/Sept? or wait another year and get super old? Probably should go freeze my eggs...

I got 8 BS too.. No clue what happened... Retaking on Aug, I heard, is generally late for this cycle, though...

Non-Trad: Econ B.A.

GPA: CC: 3.68, UG:3.268, Post-Bac: 3.99

Good clinical exp, good LOR, some research

I'm 26, asian, CA resident. I already took a year off after post-bac for personal reasons.

June 21 MCAT: 25Q :( (PS 10, VR 7, BS 8)

I was scoring avg 30-31 on AAMC FL exams. Have never gotten verbal or bio scores this low in practice. Didn't seem nervous on the real MCAT. No clue what happened.:confused:
Retake in Aug/Sept? or wait another year and get super old? Probably should go freeze my eggs...

I got 8 BS too.. No clue what happened... Retaking on Aug, I heard, is generally late for this cycle, though...

On almost all my practice AAMCs i got 10-11 on VR and BS and always sucked at PS.WTH?!?!
Are you retaking in aug or waiting another cycle....So 1 vote for freezing my eggs?

Hello,

I recently got my scores back: PS: 8; VR: 10; BS: 9. I've improved 4 points from my previous MCAT score from a 23 to a 27. I have a GPA of 3.7. I have extensive clinical and research experience. What are my chances of getting into a decent school?

May I ask what you did study wise the second time around? I just got my scores back (24p yikes!) and would love to see an improvement like yours. For the record I think you should apply to DO schools, you should have no problem getting in.

At this point, I am not retaking on August since I heard it will be too late by then. I personally don't want to wait another cycle, but I want to still give it a try this cycle and see what happens. I have great ECs and I've received mixed opinions on whether I should retake vs. apply broadly...

I have been getting 9-10 on BS so I shouldn't be surprised with 8 BS, but I felt very confident after the exam, though.. =[

On almost all my practice AAMCs i got 10-11 on VR and BS and always sucked at PS.WTH?!?!
Are you retaking in aug or waiting another cycle....So 1 vote for freezing my eggs?

At this point, I am not retaking on August since I heard it will be too late by then. I personally don't want to wait another cycle, but I want to still give it a try this cycle and see what happens. I have great ECs and I've received mixed opinions on whether I should retake vs. apply broadly...

I have been getting 9-10 on BS so I shouldn't be surprised with 8 BS, but I felt very confident after the exam, though.. =[

I don't want to wait another year either but it seems like the rest of your MCAT scores are a lot better than mine. I think you should go for it too. Best of luck!

Anyone else....help?

Took the June 21st MCAT, got my scores back yesterday, pretty bummed, could use input.

30N (8 PS, 11 BS, 11 VR.)
3.74 cGPA, 3.60 sGPA.
Graduated this past May.
FL resident, looking to applying to low-mid tier MD schools, and all FL schools (I really want to go to UF, my alma mater.)

PS has consistently been my weakest section throughout the Kaplan and AAMC practice tests I took, but I was consistently scoring 10s so I thought I would've at least scored that much on the real test...:( I was at least hoping for a more even spread.

I submitted my primary in mid-June without waiting for my MCAT scores, and I'm working on secondaries now. I'm thinking I'll continue with this cycle and hope to get lucky, since I've already spent money on the apps.

Should I retake? My motivation to do so is *quite* low and I'm worried it'll be too late for this cycle if I retake in August or September.

I'd still like your thoughts, though. Thanks in advance!

I would still give it a try and continue with this cycle. But, if you don't get interview invites by the end of this year, I would seriously look into retaking again.

Took the June 21st MCAT, got my scores back yesterday, pretty bummed, could use input.

30N (8 PS, 11 BS, 11 VR.)
3.74 cGPA, 3.60 sGPA.
Graduated this past May.
FL resident, looking to applying to low-mid tier MD schools, and all FL schools (I really want to go to UF, my alma mater.)

PS has consistently been my weakest section throughout the Kaplan and AAMC practice tests I took, but I was consistently scoring 10s so I thought I would've at least scored that much on the real test...:( I was at least hoping for a more even spread.

I submitted my primary in mid-June without waiting for my MCAT scores, and I'm working on secondaries now. I'm thinking I'll continue with this cycle and hope to get lucky, since I've already spent money on the apps.

Should I retake? My motivation to do so is *quite* low and I'm worried it'll be too late for this cycle if I retake in August or September.

I'd still like your thoughts, though. Thanks in advance!

TEXAS RESIDENT NEEDS HELP :mad:

Should I retake?

I scored a 29N (VR - 11, PS, 9 and BS, 9). This was a couple of points below my average and I was very suprised by my BS as I have been averaging 11/12s

Questions is do I apply with my current score, I'm looking for an in-state Texas school: UT MB or UT houston would be ideal. :xf:

Is 29N, 3.9GPA, applying late july better than retaking in September and potentially achieving my average of 31-33 but my application would not go through until late sept/early Oct? :scared:

It looks terrible if you retake and score worse. Even scoring the same is looked down upon.

It makes the adcoms wonder if you got a better score by chance. If your score goes up significantly (~3ish pts) then it's a good thing. You have to make it stick if you're going to redo things.

looking for an MD acceptance:
1st attempt-20M
2nd attempt- 23Q ( increase in V and PS but down in BS from 1st attempt score)
3rd attempt- 28M
cGPA- 3.58
sGPA- 3.65
should I try applying with these stats or should I attempt the MCAT a 4th time. How will ADCOMS view my situation in your opinion. Please be frank with me regarding my chances and your guidance going forward from here.

Can someone give me some advice on a non-trad retake? My application is ready to submit. I got a 28Q - 8 PS, 11 VR, 9 Bio.

I just finished a one year post-bacc in May with a 3.66 GPA. Overall science GPA is 3.47 (brought down from a class from ten years ago.) Overall GPA is 3.29, grades are over six years old at this point. I had a successful and interesting career before doing the post-bacc.

All I want is to go to a lower-tier medical school - top choice would be Drexel. Do I have a shot or do I absolutely need to study and retake and get a 30+?

That's going to be extremely late for an application. I'd wait and see what other more experienced SDNers say, but I have the exact same MCAT breakdown as you (29S), 4.0 GPA, Texas resident, and I've got 2 interviews so far, not UTMB or UT-Houston though. Have you at least already submitted your application and had it verified through TMDSAS yet? You can always go back and state that you'll be retaking the MCAT, but I wouldn't wait to get it verified and transmitted, the time frame gets longer and longer as the application season goes on.

Should I retake?

I scored a 29N (VR - 11, PS, 9 and BS, 9). This was a couple of points below my average and I was very suprised by my BS as I have been averaging 11/12s

Questions is do I apply with my current score, I'm looking for an in-state Texas school: UT MB or UT houston would be ideal. :xf:

Is 29N, 3.9GPA, applying late july better than retaking in September and potentially achieving my average of 31-33 but my application would not go through until late sept/early Oct? :scared:

So I got my MCAT scores back: PS-12 BS-11 VR-8 Writing: N

Some stats:
GPA: 3.9
-Student Teacher
-Have a LoR from a VP for my work at a world renowned hospital

I am thoroughly upset with my verbal score. My scores seem to fluctuate in VR depending on how I feel when I wake up a certain day. Its literally a craps shoot at this point, and I feel like I just got snake eyes with this 8.

Everything for AMCAS is submitted already... Is it worth my $250 to schedule and retake the MCAT in August if I truly believe I will test better in VR, writing and maybe PS?

I have a list of schools, but have a history with Yale...which is where I ideally want to go. I just need the score. Are these schools non rolling: Yale, Stanford, John Hopkins and University of Pen??

VR 7
PS 11
BS 10

Total 28 M

sGPA 4.00
GPA 3.97
Extracurricular & good letters

Should I retake?

That 7 is not a good thing to see. If you are applying DO, I say go for it. If you are applying MD, I suggest a retake and work hard to improve that verbal. It can be done, I improved a 7 to a 10.

Hello,

Are you trying to get into a DO or MD school? Your state schools will probably be your best bet, but I think you need to improve your overall score a little more to be really competive. But keep in mind that people get into medical school with scores lower than yours. ECs, PS, LOR, etc. are all important aspects too. You would have to nail those.

Should I retake?

You are a Texas resident, which really helps if you are going to apply to Texas schools. I think you have a shot. As for the when to apply/retake, I think it is up to you. Are you sure you could get a higher score? If you only have to raise your PS and BS scores, I would suggest a retake. Maybe you could take the MCAT next month? Or would you want the whole two months to study?

So I got my MCAT scores back: PS-12 BS-11 VR-8 Writing: N

Some stats:
GPA: 3.9
-Student Teacher
-Have a LoR from a VP for my work at a world renowned hospital

I am thoroughly upset with my verbal score. My scores seem to fluctuate in VR depending on how I feel when I wake up a certain day. Its literally a craps shoot at this point, and I feel like I just got snake eyes with this 8.

Everything for AMCAS is submitted already... Is it worth my $250 to schedule and retake the MCAT in August if I truly believe I will test better in VR, writing and maybe PS?

I have a list of schools, but have a history with Yale...which is where I ideally want to go. I just need the score. Are these schools non rolling: Yale, Stanford, John Hopkins and University of Pen??

Getting into the top name schools will require a substantially higher MCAT score. However, keep in mind when you would be complete. It is true that they don't do rolling admissions, but they do keep a list of people they want to accept. They just don't let the students know until later. They also give rolling interviews, so keep that in mind. Someone with similar stats may get an interview if they apply in June and complete the secondary in July versus being complete in October and just not being competitive enough for that interview due to higher stats.

Texas resident; GPA: 3.75, science gpa: 3.83

I took the June MCAT for the first time and scored a 29N (Physical: 11, Bio: 10, Verbal:8). I studied around 6 months for the exam, but spent most of my time on physical sciences and bio. Prepared very little for verbal bc it has been my strength on other standardized tests (SAT and LSAT). On the AAMC's I averaged around a 10 on the Verbal Section.
If I retook in September (I have not been studying since the test) and scored a 31/32 or higher, would it increase my chances for Texas schools and MD schools outside Texas? Or would it hold up my application and not be worth the retake? I have already submitted my AMCAS primary and TMDSAS app. Have not done any secondaries yet. Please help, I need advice! Thanks!

I have never posted on a SDN before, so I apologize if this is in the wrong place. I have been putting off asking for help, but I figured I might as well try. I recently took the June MCAT and burnt out completely on the BS section, which is normally my best section (scoring between 10-12 on PTs). I graduated from college a few years ago, so I studied for the test these past few months while I was working (about 3.5 months maybe, work hours change weekly, 25-35/week).

I received a 26Q (9 PS/ 9 VR/ 8 BS) which is about 4-6 points lower than I was scoring on PTs. I followed the SN2ed sched, which I found very helpful to follow while working a job. My question is, does anyone have any advice on how they would re-study for this test in 5 weeks? Took the test June 21, so I have not studied in over a month. The last day I can take it this cycle is Sept 11, and I understand that I might need to apply for the next cycle for MD schools, but I would like to take it this cycle because I still remember the material. Is this completely unrealistic? If I put in the effort, I know I can do it. I just need to work on endurance because I have never burnt out like that before on a practice test, plus review a few topics I was weak on/quickly review all other topics. I applied to a few DO schools the other day, but even though DO is great, I have always been set on a few MD schools. I had a 3.68 GPA with a 3.54 science GPA from a top state school, plus multiple EC's and leadership roles. I contacted a few MD deans and they told me honestly that a 26Q would not get me an interview at their schools (they accept 32-33 avg. MCAT). It's disheartening to hear that all the hard work you put in during your life means nothing, and one score determines your fate. But it is what it is. I am just ready to get my life started since I have been out of college for a few years now. Sorry for the rant, any advice at all would be much appreciated. Thank you in advance.

I have never posted on a SDN before, so I apologize if this is in the wrong place. I have been putting off asking for help, but I figured I might as well try. I recently took the June MCAT and burnt out completely on the BS section, which is normally my best section (scoring between 10-12 on PTs). I graduated from college a few years ago, so I studied for the test these past few months while I was working (about 3.5 months maybe, work hours change weekly, 25-35/week).

I received a 26Q (9 PS/ 9 VR/ 8 BS) which is about 4-6 points lower than I was scoring on PTs. I followed the SN2ed sched, which I found very helpful to follow while working a job. My question is, does anyone have any advice on how they would re-study for this test in 5 weeks? Took the test June 21, so I have not studied in over a month. The last day I can take it this cycle is Sept 11, and I understand that I might need to apply for the next cycle for MD schools, but I would like to take it this cycle because I still remember the material. Is this completely unrealistic? If I put in the effort, I know I can do it. I just need to work on endurance because I have never burnt out like that before on a practice test, plus review a few topics I was weak on/quickly review all other topics. I applied to a few DO schools the other day, but even though DO is great, I have always been set on a few MD schools. I had a 3.68 GPA with a 3.54 science GPA from a top state school, plus multiple EC's and leadership roles. I contacted a few MD deans and they told me honestly that a 26Q would not get me an interview at their schools (they accept 32-33 avg. MCAT). It's disheartening to hear that all the hard work you put in during your life means nothing, and one score determines your fate. But it is what it is. I am just ready to get my life started since I have been out of college for a few years now. Sorry for the rant, any advice at all would be much appreciated. Thank you in advance.

Ya, 5 weeks is plenty of time. I recommend working on your weakness the most. Like you said, you remember most of the material, so it will be easier to study this time around. Your strengths will comeback to you really quick when you study it again. But the majority of the studying you do to begin with should be on your weaknesses. You can raise your score alot by just being well-rounded. You don't need to be an expert on every subject because just having a general idea on every concept possibly tested will allow you to guess the correct answer in alot of cases. And do the AAMC practice tests. Without a doubt those are the best for telling you your progress. With regards to burning out, I think using the whole time of the breaks between sections helps. I just close my eyes and focus and relax my mind in prep for the upcoming section. Also, I think a big part of taking the test is ignoring any mistakes you may have made on previous sections. You just got to look forward on the test and stay positive. It really helps.

Don't get discouraged. You are already at a 9 in PS and 8 in BS. I think anyone can study themselves into solid 11s on those sections. Getting a 12-15 is alot harder, but if you get enough familiarity with the test then you can get there. Verbal is the hardest to raise, in my opinion. But even if you raised it 1 point, and you get an 11-13,10,11-13, that is still a 32-36, which is a nice score range to be in. Sorry if I sound like Im putting a limit on you...Im just projecting based on your first score and the 5 weeks of prep while working you said you have.

Last edited:
Not at all, I really appreciate your response. I took all the AAMC practice tests, but I guess it wouldn't hurt to take them again, or just take a bunch of BR passages I haven't done. Maybe some EK PT's as well. I was scoring 10-12 on BS on most of my PT's so it was a little discouraging that I burnt out on that section on the real thing. I was averaging 9-10 on verbal and PS on my PTs as well. So it wasn't that far off on the real thing. I know I can do better. Just overwhelming to have to take it again and be thrown into this 5 week intense prep not knowing where to begin, while working at the same time. I should create a calendar tonight.

Not at all, I really appreciate your response. I took all the AAMC practice tests, but I guess it wouldn't hurt to take them again, or just take a bunch of BR passages I haven't done. Maybe some EK PT's as well. I was scoring 10-12 on BS on most of my PT's so it was a little discouraging that I burnt out on that section on the real thing. I was averaging 9-10 on verbal and PS on my PTs as well. So it wasn't that far off on the real thing. I know I can do better. Just overwhelming to have to take it again and be thrown into this 5 week intense prep not knowing where to begin, while working at the same time. I should create a calendar tonight.

Personally, I loved doing EK practice tests and problems from their 1001 series. If I noticed I sucked at something then I would use their content books and quickly review that concept. The redundant questions from their 1001 will allow you to see a pattern on how to solve certain types of problems. I think the 1001 and EK in general are great for giving alot of quick problems to solve that will reveal your weaknesses. 'Cause you don't want to get caught with a test that is a perfect storm of your worst subjects. That would suck and I've heard it happen to a few people. You just gotta be prepared for all types of Qs

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.