Forum Members Official "Should I Retake?" Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

QofQuimica

Seriously, dude, I think you're overreacting....
Moderator Emeritus
Lifetime Donor
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
EDIT 12/21/18: This thread is being retired, as the majority of posts (>80 pages) pertain to the old MCAT that is no longer relevant to current applicants. You can find the current "Should I Retake" thread here: Forum Members - Should I Retake the MCAT?

For those of you who are trying to figure out whether you should re-take, this is the thread for you. Post your dilemma here if you want advice from other SDN folks. Please note that you should take the opinions you get from SDN as one source of advice; you would be wise to also consult your premed advisor before making this decision. Here is my personal advice for those considering whether to re-take:

Definitely DO retake:
-if you scored below a 24. Some allopathic schools will screen out students with scores lower than 24, which is about the mean score for all test-takers.
-if you had some kind of major problem during the test that affected your performance (ex. you started puking or running a 102 degree temperature)
-if you took the test without completing the four pre-reqs (one year each of biology, chemistry, physics, and organic) and/or without studying for it
-if you left large numbers of questions blank​

Definitely do NOT retake:
-if you scored a 30 or better, especially if all of your individual section scores were an 8 or better
-if your section subscores (the numerical ones) are all good, but you didn't perform well on the writing section (the letter score)

Gray area-it's not obvious what to do:
-if you scored 30+ but with one section below an 8
-if you had some minor nuisances (ex. a noisy test room) during the test and you're not sure if it affected your performance
-if you studied thoroughly for the test and you scored within the range of your practice exams, but your score is in the middle range (24-29)​

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 4 users
I just scored PS: 10, VR: 11, BS: 8, WR: R on my first attempt. I am definitely retaking, but I am just at a loss to explain my BS score. On the last 3 practice exams I took, I scored in the 13-14 range. The other scores are on par with my practice tests. The thing is, I did not feel like I messed up the BS section on the test, and I am really confused as to how I could possibly score 5-6 points lower without even feeling like I did poorly. Has anyone else experienced something like this before? Any feedback would be much appreciated.

PMY - The last few BS sections have been a lot less background and a lot more critical thinking. Hone your critical reasoning abilities by continuing to practice your bs and reading a lot of scientific journal type things - pay lots of attention to genetics and cell phys (these seem to be popular). It's a possibility that you didn't do that poorly, the curve for this section was just really steep.

Hope I could help a little bit... :luck:

Thanks for your advice grad. I agree that the BS section seemed to be geared toward critical thinking. I wish I could find out exactly what my problem was, but I guess all I can do now is just read and take as many practice sections as possible. Still can't believe my best section ended up being my worst. Thats the way it goes.

Took July 13th 2007 exam:

PS 11
BS 11
VS 8
WS M

I know that this is technically an acceptable score. (WS doesn't matter right?) But I'm still in a bit of a quagmire concerning whether I should retake or not. Besides the diagnostics (AAMC), my practices have consistently been in the 34-35ish range and I have consistenly scored 10+ in verbal.

I definitely did have a lot of distractions: I was hungry, it was noisy, I had to pee badly, and the fact that I randomly guessed on 4-5 questions in the PS (first) section had me preoccupied the whole time. I definitely let my nerves get the best of me. But, is that an acceptable reason too retake, I mean, don't similar things happen to everyone taking the test?

That said, I do feel a great sense of relief and that I can get on with my life finally. I'm in no was upset like I thought I would be, and I'm ready, if I decide to do so, retake the exam in Jan 2008. Phew!!!

Advice anyone? Thanks.

Members don't see this ad :)
I got a 13 on PS, 13 on BS an S on the writting section but the 7 on the verbal reasoning. Im really happy except the verbal and I know that schools look closely at the verbal. Sould I retake the test (btw, this was my second attempt and my verbal score didnt improve)

What is your home state, GPA, and ECs like? Are you from a state where its tougher to get in i.e. Cali or Penn?

Or are you from a more generous state like Fl. or Tx.?

If you feel yu could do significantly better then retake it otherwise run with your score.

Took July 13th 2007 exam:

PS 11
BS 11
VS 8
WS M

I know that this is technically an acceptable score. (WS doesn't matter right?) But I'm still in a bit of a quagmire concerning whether I should retake or not. Besides the diagnostics (AAMC), my practices have consistently been in the 34-35ish range and I have consistenly scored 10+ in verbal.

I definitely did have a lot of distractions: I was hungry, it was noisy, I had to pee badly, and the fact that I randomly guessed on 4-5 questions in the PS (first) section had me preoccupied the whole time. I definitely let my nerves get the best of me. But, is that an acceptable reason too retake, I mean, don't similar things happen to everyone taking the test?

That said, I do feel a great sense of relief and that I can get on with my life finally. I'm in no was upset like I thought I would be, and I'm ready, if I decide to do so, retake the exam in Jan 2008. Phew!!!

Advice anyone? Thanks.

I just received my MCAT scores, and this was how they played out:

Total = 27 R
VR: 8
PS: 10
BS: 9

My science GPA is around a 3.76, and my Cumulative GPA is a 3.6. I have strong extracurriculars/resume, and am a dual-citizen (Italian-American with 2 passports).

I studied my ass off, but I want to do this thing right. Should I retake this exam again?? I will be applying from out-of-state since I'm from Washington DC, but perhaps the "R" writing section score will make-up for it?

Please help..Thank you!!

A 27 is by no means awful - I think the average of all who apply is between 27-28. Anyway, it won't be the easiest thing to get into a school with that score, but it's definitely possible if you apply broadly and have good letters of rec, essays, interviews, etc. Your GPA is solid (what school did you go to?), so I say go for it if you don't think you can improve much by retaking. :thumbup:

Plus, you should consider applying at GW if you haven't thought about it yet. They're average matriculant's MCAT is a little over 28.

First time poster here. Just got my scores from July 13th and wondering if I need to retake
BS: 8
PS: 9
VR: 10
27N

I knew I did bad in BS. It is my worst subject. I feel like with more studying I could DEFINITELY do better on the BS. I didn't even have time to go over all the BS material while studying. I just tried to get in as much as possible. As far as the PS goes, I thought I did better. However, I "accidentally" skipped a few (~5) questions. I thought I did better in verbal too.

As far as my background, I am an English major at the University of Texas with a 3.52 overall GPA and a 3.67 science. I was an engineer for awhile, thus the lower overall GPA. I volunteer as an advocate for sexual assault victims in the ER, among random other things I am involved in.

I had already applied to the Texas schools before receiving my scores but have held off on out of state because I didn't want to spend the money if my scores were not good enough. I particularly wanted to apply to some schools in New York, Maryland, DC, and/or Massachusetts. Do I have any chance at all in these states without retaking the exam?

I go to Brandeis University, near Boston, which has a stellar science program. I could retake the exam again, but I will certainly have to work-on Verbal reasoning.

Another option, is to go to Medical school in Israel, which would also be awesome. Went there this summer, and it was incredible, but it'd also be nice to get accepted into a US medical school.

I go to Brandeis University, near Boston, which has a stellar science program. I could retake the exam again, but I will certainly have to work-on Verbal reasoning.

Another option, is to go to Medical school in Israel, which would also be awesome. Went there this summer, and it was incredible, but it'd also be nice to get accepted into a US medical school.

Well I think you would definitely have a shot as long as your subjective measures (letters of rec, ECs) and everything are in order. In the end it's completely up to you, but I would go for it.

27O :(

10 BS
10 VR
7 PS
O WS

3.9 overall... 3.8 science
EC's: strong, also a college athlete

it feels like i'm in the worst possible position.... a border line score topped off with a below average PS score. At least i'm a texas resident. Just looking for a little peace of mind... a little late for a retake. Think i've got a shot?

How does it look to schools if your retake score turns out to be the exact same as the before?

I first wrote in August 2006 and got a 27Q (PS 8 VR9 BS10) and decided in May that I was gonna write July 13th and ended up getting a 27S. My WS improved yes, but all of my other scores are the EXACT same! I'm a Canadian that's applying to DO schools, and so far I've heard that my score is in the range of the applicants that they accept but I'm just not sure if I should go back and re-take for a third time. Either way I am applying for next year, but I just really don't know what to do, if writing it for a third time would even be a good idea!

Hey guys,

I just received my scores from the July 13th exam:

VR - 10
PS - 11
BS - 9 (wtf?)
Writing - M (wtf?)

I'm a Chemistry major at UF with a 4.0 science GPA and a 3.97 overall. I've done research for 2 years and published my own paper. I also volunteered, shadowed, and participated in intramurals.

I know a 30 isn't that bad, but I was in the range of mid 30's on my diagnositics. I was really bummed about BS, considering I never got a below a 12 on any exam (9 was what I got on my first diagnostic).

I really want to go to UNC or some other top 20 school. What do yall think? Retake in January?

Members don't see this ad :)
27O :(

10 BS
10 VR
7 PS
O WS

3.9 overall... 3.8 science
EC's: strong, also a college athlete

it feels like i'm in the worst possible position.... a border line score topped off with a below average PS score. At least i'm a texas resident. Just looking for a little peace of mind... a little late for a retake. Think i've got a shot?

A 27 isn't a bad score, and you've got strong ECs and a solid GPA. If you have any in-state schools you should most definitely try there. If you don't have time for a retake, just apply and see what happens. You definitely have a shot!

How does it look to schools if your retake score turns out to be the exact same as the before?

I first wrote in August 2006 and got a 27Q (PS 8 VR9 BS10) and decided in May that I was gonna write July 13th and ended up getting a 27S. My WS improved yes, but all of my other scores are the EXACT same! I'm a Canadian that's applying to DO schools, and so far I've heard that my score is in the range of the applicants that they accept but I'm just not sure if I should go back and re-take for a third time. Either way I am applying for next year, but I just really don't know what to do, if writing it for a third time would even be a good idea!

You're applying for DO? You don't need to retake, you'll be fine.

Hey guys,

I just received my scores from the July 13th exam:

VR - 10
PS - 11
BS - 9 (wtf?)
Writing - M (wtf?)

I'm a Chemistry major at UF with a 4.0 science GPA and a 3.97 overall. I've done research for 2 years and published my own paper. I also volunteered, shadowed, and participated in intramurals.

I know a 30 isn't that bad, but I was in the range of mid 30's on my diagnositics. I was really bummed about BS, considering I never got a below a 12 on any exam (9 was what I got on my first diagnostic).

I really want to go to UNC or some other top 20 school. What do yall think? Retake in January?

A 30+ is really good, congrats! If you're set on going to a top 20 school, I would think about retaking. You can (and may) get into a top 20 schools with a 30, but it's definitely not going to be easy. You can apply with a 30 and get in somewhere, or try to retake if you feel you will improve your score. The choice is yours.

So how bad a writing score can one ignore if they did well on the other parts. Im up in Canada so Im a little less familiar with the US school requirements.

I got an N on the writing (not sure what happened, I'm usually quite a good essayist), but 37 on the number bits. I only want to make the trip south if its for a top school, is the N going to sink me?

Cheers

I had a score of 24M: P:6 V:9 B:9

Do I have a chance to get into Allopathic Schools in the U.S? My GPA is 3.5. and I do have volunteer exp. I am thinking of retaking it in Sept but I dont know if my application process would be delayed. Also, if I do worse next time, would schools consider my highest score?

I had a score of 24M: P:6 V:9 B:9

Do I have a chance to get into Allopathic Schools in the U.S? My GPA is 3.5. and I do have volunteer exp. I am thinking of retaking it in Sept but I dont know if my application process would be delayed. Also, if I do worse next time, would schools consider my highest score?

I would say retake. Realistically, you have little hope of getting accepted to a US MD school. That's not to say it's impossible, but I think a retake is in store for you. You may also want to consider holding off until next cycle unless you've already sent all of your apps in. Otherwise, retake in September and send those scores. Just make sure you study your butt off so you're better prepared.

13VR (AAMC practice range: 12-13)
10PS (AAMC practice range: 10-12; lean toward 12)
9BS (AAMC practice range 10-12; lean toward 10)

32S Composite (at least I'm a bad@$$ writer, apparently)

Here's the thing: I took a lot of practice tests, but I only really studied hard for a couple days before the exam (I bought the $80 Kaplan book). I have far-from-great grades (3.55 GPA; 3.45 BCPM) but very good ECs. I'm shooting for a Tulane/G.W./Georgetown/Wake Forest/Florida level school.

My gut says I could get two points higher on the PS, and probably a point or even two higher on the BS just by taking it again now (w/o studying), but there are always the obvious risks of dropping.

Thanks much!

So how bad a writing score can one ignore if they did well on the other parts. Im up in Canada so Im a little less familiar with the US school requirements.

I got an N on the writing (not sure what happened, I'm usually quite a good essayist), but 37 on the number bits. I only want to make the trip south if its for a top school, is the N going to sink me?

Cheers

In the US they don't give two cents about the writing score and N won't be looked at as the most horrible writing score either. That's for sure.

Okay here is my situation:
30P overall
10V
10PS
10BS
I have a 3.7 BCPM and a 3.9 overall. I know that these are all acceptable stats, but my prob is that I'm from Cali, so no real state school love. What do you guys think? Just try my hand and see what happens?

Okay here is my situation:
30P overall
10V
10PS
10BS
I have a 3.7 BCPM and a 3.9 overall. I know that these are all acceptable stats, but my prob is that I'm from Cali, so no real state school love. What do you guys think? Just try my hand and see what happens?

Definitely do not retake. Your stats are perfectly fine.

Ok, here goes:
First time- 24Q (6PS, 8BS, 10VR)
Retake - 26O (7PS, 8BS,11VR)

I have a 3.6 overall GPA and 3.3 BCPM, 2 years research experience with patient contact, not lab research. Do I have a chance at Florida schools?

Ok, here's my opinion on a lot of the july 13th takers:

Rap: did you feel like you messed up on the retake? if you feel like you can do better, I would, but if you feel like it's a pretty average score for you, i'd stick with it. if you are retaking, i wouldnt apply this cycle

Cross: Keep the 30, you're in good shape

Hsperson: I wouldnt retake, I've heard that 8 is fine for a section, and 7 isnt. Unless you have your heart set on retaking, I'd say you're fine. I also had my vr lower than my practices

blutie and umz--I'd say to lean twds retaking if you feel like you can do significantly better, but if you feel like you prepared very well and cant improve much, don't gamble, just keep the scores you have.

btb--youll definitely be ok. I see people with low 20 scores in top tier unis! =)

ripsta--i'd say keep the score (its a good score! =)) unless you are very very very set on having a good chance for the top 20 schools

radiance--i'd lean twds retaking, and applying next cycle

billfrist and oneday--i'd lean towards not retaking, but agian, if you feel like you are confident that you can improve, then retake. It's just about whether its worth the gamble of getting a lower score.

hope that helped!

Ok, here's my opinion on a lot of the july 13th takers:

Rap: did you feel like you messed up on the retake? if you feel like you can do better, I would, but if you feel like it's a pretty average score for you, i'd stick with it. if you are retaking, i wouldnt apply this cycle

Cross: Keep the 30, you're in good shape

Hsperson: I wouldnt retake, I've heard that 8 is fine for a section, and 7 isnt. Unless you have your heart set on retaking, I'd say you're fine. I also had my vr lower than my practices

blutie and umz--I'd say to lean twds retaking if you feel like you can do significantly better, but if you feel like you prepared very well and cant improve much, don't gamble, just keep the scores you have.

btb--youll definitely be ok. I see people with low 20 scores in top tier unis! =)

ripsta--i'd say keep the score (its a good score! =)) unless you are very very very set on having a good chance for the top 20 schools

radiance--i'd lean twds retaking, and applying next cycle

billfrist and oneday--i'd lean towards not retaking, but agian, if you feel like you are confident that you can improve, then retake. It's just about whether its worth the gamble of getting a lower score.

hope that helped!
Thank you so much for your help!!
The thing is..I desperately need work experience next summer, and since I am studying abroad for the spring semester, I would only be able to re-take the MCAT exam a year from now, while working.

Besides any other comments you may have (everything is helpful at this point)..my real question is:

Is an MCAT score of 27 so low that most Medical Schools (allopathic) will automatically discard my application? Or will it just make them more skeptical, yet they will still look over other aspects of my application?

Is an MCAT score of 27 so low that most Medical Schools (allopathic) will automatically discard my application? Or will it just make them more skeptical, yet they will still look over other aspects of my application?

Not necessarily. Many schools do filter out applicants by MCAT score, but most of the ones that do this will filter out scores below 24. Above that, they're going to consider everything.

well i got a 27M (9,8,10) on my July 13th mcat.. i have a 3.6 gpa, 3.5 in science (im a bio major).. i have volunteer experience, ive done a year of genetic research.. ive worked for a cardiologist for 2 years.. now working in sloan kettering cancer center. but i decided not to apply for 2008.. b/c for NY schools i dont think a 27 is good enough...esp since i havent sent in my application yet.. any suggestions?... im thinking of retaking in april of 2008 and applying for 2009.. any suggestions what prep material i should use.. i only studied with kaplan and got a 27.. so im not doing that anymore.. should i take the princeton review course.. or just buy the books in addition to the examkrackers books?. ADVICE PLEASE. thank you

well i got a 27M (9,8,10) on my July 13th mcat.. i have a 3.6 gpa, 3.5 in science (im a bio major).. i have volunteer experience, ive done a year of genetic research.. ive worked for a cardiologist for 2 years.. now working in sloan kettering cancer center. but i decided not to apply for 2008.. b/c for NY schools i dont think a 27 is good enough...esp since i havent sent in my application yet.. any suggestions?... im thinking of retaking in april of 2008 and applying for 2009.. any suggestions what prep material i should use.. i only studied with kaplan and got a 27.. so im not doing that anymore.. should i take the princeton review course.. or just buy the books in addition to the examkrackers books?. ADVICE PLEASE. thank you

What did you do before and use before?? Where are yor weakesses? is it more in strategy or lacking understanding of material issue???

A lot of people suggest EK and/or Kaplan materials. But if it is lack of understanding of material some people suggest EK in conjunction with TPR.

Ok, here goes:
First time- 24Q (6PS, 8BS, 10VR)
Retake - 26O (7PS, 8BS,11VR)

I have a 3.6 overall GPA and 3.3 BCPM, 2 years research experience with patient contact, not lab research. Do I have a chance at Florida schools?

Hey check your PMs.

VR9, BS10, PS9, total 28Q.

2.5 undergrad GPA (stop laughing, I still want to be a doctor) graduated 3 years ago, 3.9 (see!) postbac GPA with a couple extra classes in there, and excellent clinical experience, as well as some volunteer work and some good recs.

Thoughts? I was SERIOUSLY bummed about the test on test day, and thought I pulled off a 20 or something, but I'm definitely not psyched about my 28 (writing was OK though).

IF I could get a sept test date (date of this post is 8/19), and take 3 weeks to prepare intensely, should I?

Should I apply to allo schools anyway?

VR9, BS10, PS9, total 28Q.

2.5 undergrad GPA (stop laughing, I still want to be a doctor) graduated 3 years ago, 3.9 (see!) postbac GPA with a couple extra classes in there, and excellent clinical experience, as well as some volunteer work and some good recs.

Thoughts? I was SERIOUSLY bummed about the test on test day, and thought I pulled off a 20 or something, but I'm definitely not psyched about my 28 (writing was OK though).

IF I could get a sept test date (date of this post is 8/19), and take 3 weeks to prepare intensely, should I?

Should I apply to allo schools anyway?
Unless you want to do DO I'd recommend doing a Special Masters Program before going to med school or trying to get a higher MCAT score to overshadow your GPA issues.

What did you do before and use before?? Where are yor weakesses? is it more in strategy or lacking understanding of material issue???

A lot of people suggest EK and/or Kaplan materials. But if it is lack of understanding of material some people suggest EK in conjunction with TPR.
well i really only studied for about a 5 weeks.. 3 weeks to read all the material from the kaplan books and 2 weeks to do the practice tests... my biggest problem was liquids/solids in physics and some stuff in general chem.. and i guess orgo.. but if i do retake im gonna study a lot more for it this time.. the only problem is now that i work full time and wil have to fit in my studying somehow

Unless you want to do DO I'd recommend doing a Special Masters Program before going to med school or trying to get a higher MCAT score to overshadow your GPA issues.

I'm going to apply to DO schools, mostly because if I can't get into MD school this year, I'm not sure how much longer I can wait (I'm 25 this summer), and I at least want the option. But I would certainly prefer to go allopathic.

So i took the july 13th MCAT for the first time and here was the breakdown:

PS: 11
BS: 11
VR: 7
overall: 29S

I am at a loss about verbal. My scores ranged from an 8-13 on the practice aamcs and I have now idea how to keep it consistently high. As for my background, I have a 3.7 overall GPA and a 3.62 science. I will be graduating (hopefully) with a double degree in biology and psychology. I've done extracurriculars: TAing, advising, acapella, community service. I've done research for almost 2 years and currently volunteer in the ER at a hospital. I'm not applying this time around which kind of scares me because I'm thinking applicants next year might do better since they're not the first group to do the computerized MCAT. I'm just torn as to whether I should take it again and if I do can someone tell me how I can improve this verbal?

Helllllp! Thanks guys :)

13VR (AAMC practice range: 12-13)
10PS (AAMC practice range: 10-12; lean toward 12)
9BS (AAMC practice range 10-12; lean toward 10)

32S Composite (at least I'm a bad@$$ writer, apparently)

Here's the thing: I took a lot of practice tests, but I only really studied hard for a couple days before the exam (I bought the $80 Kaplan book). I have far-from-great grades (3.55 GPA; 3.45 BCPM) but very good ECs. I'm shooting for a Tulane/G.W./Georgetown/Wake Forest/Florida level school.

My gut says I could get two points higher on the PS, and probably a point or even two higher on the BS just by taking it again now (w/o studying), but there are always the obvious risks of dropping.

Thanks much!

Too risky. You have a great shot with your current score!!

I would try to get in first and only take the MCAT again if you did not get in anywhere and they told you that the MCAT score was the problem.

July 13 MCAT:
VR 10, PS 8, BS 9 -27M

April 06 MCAT (paper based):
VR 7, PS 11, BS 11 -29K (wtf?)

-a 3.8 over all and science GPA
-non native speaker and age over 30
-a career changer
-volunteering/working in hospital for more than 2 years
-last year, I had only 1 interview and did not get in anywhere

I believe my verbal killed me last year; but my total score went down this year (ouch). I know I am trying to make something impossible to possible, but still cannot give up. what is your suggestion?

:confused::confused::confused:

July 13th MCAT: 27O

PS: 10
BS: 10

I have to definitely re-take. I am planning to take it in September because I ve already submitted my application and I have received secondaries. But the AAMC website doesn't let me register and gives an error. Does anyone have any idea why?

So, I got an okay score, but I think I could do much better. The test snuck up on me and I didn't really do any formal preparation at all except maybe about a week of review and maybe 2 practice exams. i think the VR score is pretty low (just based on the bit of practice i did) and because of my background, i'd expect the phys to be higher than bio.

bio 11
phys 10
VR 9
overall 30R

um...just graduated. overall gpa 4.0 and major gpas around 3.9. biochem TA for 3 semesters. some ECs. two summers and one semester of research experience (all differnt projects). shadowing docs now. won't apply till the 2009 cycle. would it be worth it to retake MCAT or should i be happy witha 30R?

So, I got an okay score, but I think I could do much better. The test snuck up on me and I didn't really do any formal preparation at all except maybe about a week of review and maybe 2 practice exams. i think the VR score is pretty low (just based on the bit of practice i did) and because of my background, i'd expect the phys to be higher than bio.

bio 11
phys 10
VR 9
overall 30R

um...just graduated. overall gpa 4.0 and major gpas around 3.9. biochem TA for 3 semesters. some ECs. two summers and one semester of research experience (all differnt projects). shadowing docs now. won't apply till the 2009 cycle. would it be worth it to retake MCAT or should i be happy witha 30R?

How do you have a 4.0 overall and a lower GPA in your major?

Guys Im not going to retake. I was considering a retake earlier, but decided I didnt want to study for it. Still Im curious on whether you think I should have retaken it.

I scored a 10, 10, 12, R, 32R.

This isnt a bad score, but I was not able to study much for the exam due to an internship and other activities during the summer I took it (2006). I never even took a bio practice exam and only took one physics practice exam. I did take several verbal and was expecting an 11-12 in verbal based off my scores but it was about 2 months after my last verbal practice exam and taking the MCAT so I think I was rusty and ran a bit short on time. Also it had been a long time since I had taken general chem and I was rusty on this. I think this kept my physics score down as the one practice exam I did take on PS I scored a 12. Also when I was going to start studying again I took a PS test and a VR and scored 12 and 11 respectively.

Should I have retaken? Was I a lazy bastard for not studying for a retake?

Guys Im not going to retake. I was considering a retake earlier, but decided I didnt want to study for it. Still Im curious on whether you think I should have retaken it.

I scored a 10, 10, 12, R, 32R.

This isnt a bad score, but I was not able to study much for the exam due to an internship and other activities during the summer I took it (2006). I never even took a bio practice exam and only took one physics practice exam. I did take several verbal and was expecting an 11-12 in verbal based off my scores but it was about 2 months after my last verbal practice exam and taking the MCAT so I think I was rusty and ran a bit short on time. Also it had been a long time since I had taken general chem and I was rusty on this. I think this kept my physics score down as the one practice exam I did take on PS I scored a 12. Also when I was going to start studying again I took a PS test and a VR and scored 12 and 11 respectively.

Should I have retaken? Was I a lazy bastard for not studying for a retake?

You made the right decision. With a 32, your score is already above the average of matriculants, and will make you relatively competitive at most schools. Your score is also very well-balanced, with at least a 10 in each section, and you got a good writing sample score. You definitely should not have retaken. Congratulations on getting a great score (and don't feel bad about not wanting to study for a retake -- no one wants to do that!)

July 13 MCAT:
VR 10, PS 8, BS 9 -27M

April 06 MCAT (paper based):
VR 7, PS 11, BS 11 -29K (wtf?)

-a 3.8 over all and science GPA
-non native speaker and age over 30
-a career changer
-volunteering/working in hospital for more than 2 years
-last year, I had only 1 interview and did not get in anywhere

I believe my verbal killed me last year; but my total score went down this year (ouch). I know I am trying to make something impossible to possible, but still cannot give up. what is your suggestion?

:confused::confused::confused:
What is your home state of residence???

So i took the july 13th MCAT for the first time and here was the breakdown:

PS: 11
BS: 11
overall: 29S

I am at a loss about verbal. My scores ranged from an 8-13 on the practice aamcs and I have now idea how to keep it consistently high. As for my background, I have a 3.7 overall GPA and a 3.62 science. I will be graduating (hopefully) with a double degree in biology and psychology. I've done extracurriculars: TAing, advising, acapella, community service. I've done research for almost 2 years and currently volunteer in the ER at a hospital. I'm not applying this time around which kind of scares me because I'm thinking applicants next year might do better since they're not the first group to do the computerized MCAT. I'm just torn as to whether I should take it again and if I do can someone tell me how I can improve this verbal?

Helllllp! Thanks guys :)

What's your homestate?

well i really only studied for about a 5 weeks.. 3 weeks to read all the material from the kaplan books and 2 weeks to do the practice tests... my biggest problem was liquids/solids in physics and some stuff in general chem.. and i guess orgo.. but if i do retake im gonna study a lot more for it this time.. the only problem is now that i work full time and wil have to fit in my studying somehow

Try to study for at least 2-3 months. Study everything but focus especially hard on your weak areas. Take lots of practice tests including all the AAMC tests, the Kaplan topicals, the Kaplan subject tests for your weak areas, the Kaplan full lengths. Also try to supplement with EK materials.

bio 11
phys 10
VR 9
overall 30R

The question of a retake depends on 3 things:

1. Are you trying to go to a top tier school or state school???
2. Do you think you can do a good 4-5+ points higher???

I'd not retake with that score personally especially when coupled with yoru GPA. I'd try to do something unique and interesting and productive with this next year and the year that follows as I think that wil help better. I.e. the Postbac IRTA program at NIH is a good thing to look into. Teach for America or Americorps is good to look into. Maybe doing some international volunteering or traveling or if you have a favorite sport or are into music or dance doing something with that. Those kind of things will help better then a higher MCAT at this point.

I took Princeton prep class and still got manhandled by the verbal section.
10 Physical
10 Bio
6 Verbal
26S overall

I plan on retaking it next summer. I wanted advice as to what I can do now to prepare for the verbal for next summer. I also want to know if I should practice with EK Verbal 101 rather than Princeton verbal strategies as I found the no so helpful? Any suggestions for a guy who can't seem to ever do well on verbal, whether it be practice tests or the real thing?

Get a subscription to a reputable newspaper and read it for an hour every morning.

10 Physical
10 Bio
6 Verbal
26S overall

I plan on retaking it next summer. I wanted advice as to what I can do now to prepare for the verbal for next summer. I also want to know if I should practice with EK Verbal 101 rather than Princeton verbal strategies as I found the no so helpful? Any suggestions for a guy who can't seem to ever do well on verbal, whether it be practice tests or the real thing?

I got a 27 P on the 6/15 exam with this breakdown:
PS: 8
VR: 9
BS: 10

My gpa is 3.52. State of residence is New Jersey. I've shadowed two doctors for, and i've been working in a clinic for a few months. I also have some sport and volunteering ECs. I am not a URM but English is my second language.

I'm just wondering if you guys think I have any shot for this cycle or if I should be set on retaking the MCAT.
Id appreciate any advice. Thanks!

10 Physical
10 Bio
6 Verbal
26S overall

Look at the advice in the MCAT subforum verbal threads giving by Lorelei and QofQuimica as well as others. Read through the 30+ thread to see what worked for others.

I also recommend reading a book called "How To Read A Book" by Mortimer J Adler and Charles Van Doren. It gives a lot of the tips Lorelei says to put in practice. read some of the books on their book list and put to practice the tips they give then try to apply that to shorter essays from Gould books and finally to MCAT Verbal practice tests. That might be helpful. That book gives a lot of advice on analytical reading. Many people can read at the elementary level of reading but find it hard to read analytically and that points out a lot of tips that many reading courses don't point out. I also like that book because the books they recommend to read are books for which I've seen practice tests use passages from or books which have been discussed in essays used on practice tests.

Status
Not open for further replies.