Forum Members Official "Should I Retake?" Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

QofQuimica

Seriously, dude, I think you're overreacting....
Moderator Emeritus
Lifetime Donor
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
EDIT 12/21/18: This thread is being retired, as the majority of posts (>80 pages) pertain to the old MCAT that is no longer relevant to current applicants. You can find the current "Should I Retake" thread here: Forum Members - Should I Retake the MCAT?

For those of you who are trying to figure out whether you should re-take, this is the thread for you. Post your dilemma here if you want advice from other SDN folks. Please note that you should take the opinions you get from SDN as one source of advice; you would be wise to also consult your premed advisor before making this decision. Here is my personal advice for those considering whether to re-take:

Definitely DO retake:
-if you scored below a 24. Some allopathic schools will screen out students with scores lower than 24, which is about the mean score for all test-takers.
-if you had some kind of major problem during the test that affected your performance (ex. you started puking or running a 102 degree temperature)
-if you took the test without completing the four pre-reqs (one year each of biology, chemistry, physics, and organic) and/or without studying for it
-if you left large numbers of questions blank​

Definitely do NOT retake:
-if you scored a 30 or better, especially if all of your individual section scores were an 8 or better
-if your section subscores (the numerical ones) are all good, but you didn't perform well on the writing section (the letter score)

Gray area-it's not obvious what to do:
-if you scored 30+ but with one section below an 8
-if you had some minor nuisances (ex. a noisy test room) during the test and you're not sure if it affected your performance
-if you studied thoroughly for the test and you scored within the range of your practice exams, but your score is in the middle range (24-29)​

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 4 users
Thanks for all the responses everyone! I am taking a couple of years off after school to meander around, and see where life takes me.

v=8 ps=11 bs=11 T
GPA around 3.85

good recs and ECs...

do you think i have a chance at places like columbia/penn/ etc??

or should i retake the mcat??... or take a year off if i want to get into competitive places??...

the 8 in VR is pulling me back :( advices??? :)

a shot at medical school? maybe, but an 8 in VR will be a problem. a shot at ivies? probably not.

don't apply anywhere you wouldn't be happy at... if you'd only be happy at top tiers, you have to retake and risk lateness or retake and apply next year. if you're pretty sure you can do better then do it! :) do lots of verbal practice, it helps a lot. good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
i'm a very concerned with my MCAT score

VR: 11, BIO: 9, PHY: 10, WS: Q

I'm signed up to retake the MCAT in august, should i do it? or is this score good enough to get me in somewhere? I'm current applying to schools like Albany, Tulane, Boston U, etc.

please help!

looking for advice:
MCAT June 15th:
PS-10 (normally 12-13)
VR-8 (normally 6-7)
BS-11 (normally 10)
WS- T
29T

GPA-3.7 (I attend mini-Ivy)
EC =>
>1200 hours of volunteering in National Ski Patrol (since 11th grade)
Co-authored three papers in the field of spinal surgery .. my field of interest
Class council member
crew for 3 years in college
Special friend for mentally handicapped (volunteer - best buddies)

Straight MD

should I retake? I'm applying to Temple, Jefferson (top choice), PSU, Drexel, uPitt, and as a reach uPenn (don't tell me to retake if uPenn is the only reason .. uPenn is not expected nor desired anymore) .. anyways my major concern is how retaking and getting a 6-7 on VR would negatively affect my future and plus I got a T in the WS section. Now, who cares about WS at all anyways? But why have it if no one cares? In other words, that T will boost my chances right? It's like boosting a 29 to a 31 maybe?

1st try
vr 7
ps 8
bs 11

2nd
vr 8
ps 10
bs 10

gpa 3.7
eng is not my 1st language, but it should not matter.
should I retake, say in september, or apply early with my score? thank you for your advices.

1st try
vr 7
ps 8
bs 11

2nd
vr 8
ps 10
bs 10

gpa 3.7
eng is not my 1st language, but it should not matter.
should I retake, say in september, or apply early with my score? thank you for your advices.

Well, I have no idea what state you're in or what your ECs look like, but if either is favorable, I would apply ASAP (you're a little late already if you haven't submitted your primary) and take your chances. If you don't mind waiting a year, you could beef up the EC portions of your app and keep practicing to bring the VR score up and take the MCAT again when you're regularly getting 10s on practice tests. Otherwise, you should stick with what you've got. VR can be notoriously hard to raise, and since you only went up one point from take 1 to take 2 (I'm assuming you practiced VR like crazy), you likely won't see a big jump on take 3. Just my two cents. Good luck.

looking for advice:
MCAT June 15th:
PS-10 (normally 12-13)
VR-8 (normally 6-7)
BS-11 (normally 10)
WS- T
29T

EC =>
Class council member

Straight MD

should I retake? I'm applying to Temple, Jefferson (top choice), PSU, Drexel, uPitt, and as a reach uPenn (don't tell me to retake if uPenn is the only reason .. uPenn is not expected nor desired anymore) .. anyways my major concern is how retaking and getting a 6-7 on VR would negatively affect my future and plus I got a T in the WS section. Now, who cares about WS at all anyways? But why have it if no one cares? In other words, that T will boost my chances right? It's like boosting a 29 to a 31 maybe?

My opinion is that retaking isn't worth the risk. My impression is that it's really not a good idea to have any one section lower than an 8. Since your VR is an 8, but your practice MCAT scores for VR were actually lower, I'd count your lucky stars and move on. Sure, your PS might go up, but your VR could also go down, and with a 12 in PS but a 6 in VR, you'll be in a worse position than you are now. Unless you can get your practice VR scores up, I wouldn't retake. Your other stats and ECs look great, and I'm assuming that you're a PA resident looking to stay in PA with a bunch of great schools, so I'd say roll the dice and apply ASAP. Good luck!

I'm signed up to retake the MCAT in august, should i do it? or is this score good enough to get me in somewhere? I'm current applying to schools like Albany, Tulane, Boston U, etc.

please help!

You really need to provide more info if you want useful advice. Your state of residence, ECs, gpa, previous practice MCAT scores, etc. Unless you're trying to "compensate" for a really low gpa or international status, I would say don't retake because the delay wouldn't be worth it (unless your practice scores were routinely MUCH higher). Good luck.

Well, I have no idea what state you're in or what your ECs look like, but if either is favorable, I would apply ASAP (you're a little late already if you haven't submitted your primary) and take your chances. If you don't mind waiting a year, you could beef up the EC portions of your app and keep practicing to bring the VR score up and take the MCAT again when you're regularly getting 10s on practice tests. Otherwise, you should stick with what you've got. VR can be notoriously hard to raise, and since you only went up one point from take 1 to take 2 (I'm assuming you practiced VR like crazy), you likely won't see a big jump on take 3. Just my two cents. Good luck.
I second phoenix's opinion.

looking for advice:
MCAT June 15th:
PS-10 (normally 12-13)
VR-8 (normally 6-7)
BS-11 (normally 10)
WS- T
29T

EC =>
Class council member

Straight MD

I would probably not retake due to the likelihood of getting a 6-7 on VR, as you stated. Even if you raise your PS to practice level, I think 10-8-11 is a better score than 12-6-11.

v=8 ps=11 bs=11 T
GPA around 3.85

good recs and ECs...

do you think i have a chance at places like columbia/penn/ etc??

or should i retake the mcat??... or take a year off if i want to get into competitive places??...

the 8 in VR is pulling me back :( advices??? :)

I think that the 8 in VR will definitely be a problem for most of the ivies, so if that's where your heart is set, you should retake (IF your practice scores for VR are regularly 10). Otherwise, if you think you'd be happy casting your net more widely and going to non-ivy schools, then I think you've got a great shot with your app as is. Just apply ASAP. Good luck.

Thanks for the info. Just so totally frightened that I'll do worse.

Since you really want your state school (TN), I would call them directly, tell them that you're aiming for their school and what your MCAT is. Ask if they recommend retaking for a decent shot at their school. Hopefully they'll be helpful. If they say to retake, and you don't mind waiting a year (I know how awful that sounds to an older applicant), it would probably be ideal to do that while beefing up your ECs and studying like mad to take the MCAT when you're good and ready. But if you're dead set on applying this year, call TN and see what they say. Good luck from a fellow non-trad.

Members don't see this ad :)
I guess I'm in need of some more advice, since I've been annoying my friends, advisers, and professors for long enough about this issue. Should I take it again?! My breakdown for a 33S from the August 2006 paper/pencil administration...

PS - 12
VR - 09
W - S
BS - 12

Volunteered at the same hospital for two summers, did some lab research (hated it), TA'd a science lab class for a year, 3.7 or 3.8ish GPA, with a 3.6 or 3.65 BCPM GPA, from Maryland

Most people are quick to tell me that I should NOT take it again. But my thing is, I applied to a lot of top-tier schools, mostly in the New England and Mid-Atlantic region (Columbia, Penn, and dare I even mention Harvard). I've been told that top schools are kind of a crapshoot regardless of your stats, but what are my chances?

Does my S in Writing counterbalance my 9 in Verbal at all? I know some schools don't even consider the writing score, but they see it, right?

HELP!

i took the mcats last august and got a 12ps, 8v, 8 in bio. i have a 3.6 gpa with an engineering major. should i still take it again? i'm registered to take the test again this upcoming september. help me:)

please help!

A 30 is good, schools may be concerned about bio (of all three sections) being the lowest. But it's a 9, not too terrible. Retake only if your practice scores are much higher. There's always a chance that your score might drop since you're resting right on the border.

I guess I'm in need of some more advice, since I've been annoying my friends, advisers, and professors for long enough about this issue. Should I take it again?! My breakdown for a 33S from the August 2006 paper/pencil administration...

PS - 12
VR - 09
W - S
BS - 12

Volunteered at the same hospital for two summers, did some lab research (hated it), TA'd a science lab class for a year, 3.7 or 3.8ish GPA, with a 3.6 or 3.65 BCPM GPA, from Maryland

Most people are quick to tell me that I should NOT take it again. But my thing is, I applied to a lot of top-tier schools, mostly in the New England and Mid-Atlantic region (Columbia, Penn, and dare I even mention Harvard). I've been told that top schools are kind of a crapshoot regardless of your stats, but what are my chances?

Does my S in Writing counterbalance my 9 in Verbal at all? I know some schools don't even consider the writing score, but they see it, right?

HELP!

The score breakdown for top-tier schools from MSAR is usually (11VR, 12PS, 12PS)...that's the median... so your verbal is pretty low. No one can truly predict what the top tier schools will think, it mainly depends on if you're a good fit for their school. Your BCPM GPA is low too, considering the selectivity of top tier schools. But who knows, maybe your ECs and interview if you get one, will shine.

In this cycle, retaking could put you into the very late application pile (august administrations seem to be filled up in most places). If I were you, I would retake. I would selectively apply to schools based on those stats, and apply to only a few reach schools. You have a good shot of getting in somewhere with those stats, but top tiers will be tough to get into.

And I personally don't think a writing score balances verbal, the two test test entirely different things. VR tests your comprehension and passage mastery, WR is all about following direction, coming up with examples and presenting ideas.

If I were you, I'd stick to the score and see what happens. You may be pleasantly surprised. But in the meantime, think practically. :luck:

I got a 13 on PS, 13 on BS an S on the writting section but the 7 on the verbal reasoning. Im really happy except the verbal and I know that schools look closely at the verbal. Sould I retake the test (btw, this was my second attempt and my verbal score didnt improve)

So I took the MCAT as an undergrad:
August 2005: VR 11 PS 8 WS M BS 8 = 27M

I had one interview, no luck obviously

I retook in May 2007:
VR 12 PS 9 WS O BS 8 = 29O

So basically a little improvement everywhere except were I should have the most, bio. I have some solid recs, 1 from a professor whom I worked in her clin. psych lab for a year. Other than that not too much med related volunteer experience, just recenlty started as an ER volunteer.

Any thoughts on my chances, I am applyiny to both MD and DO schools.

Thanks guys

So I posted here at the beginning of the month when I got my scores from the 5/31 debacle and was less than thrilled. After I saw my VR score I was sure I had to retake, but now I'm "on the fence" about re-taking this thing. Here's the rundown:

My practice test scores prior to the first writing on 5/31 were in the 36-39 range (11-13 PS, 10-12 VR, 12-15 BS). I ended up getting a 32 on the real thing (which I'm fine with), and while the science scores were on target, I bit the big one on VR (7). Since 8 seems to be the magic number to not get screened out, I felt I should re-take since I know my VR abilities are better than a 7. However, since all I've been doing to prepare for my re-take on 8/6 is VR practice (averaging 11s again), I'm afraid that I'll improve VR but my science scores will drop and in the end my total score won't be any better and I'll look like an idiot for re-taking.

To further complicate matters, I just got an interview invite from Case Western today, and they've seen my first MCAT scores. Maybe the rest of my app made up for it? I asked for advice from the lady I spoke to in admissions today, and she said that she really couldn't offer me any advice other than that Case takes the most recent scores, so if I do re-take it, I should really try to avoid doing worse. Yeah, no pressure or anything... :rolleyes:

People in this thread previously advised to go ahead and re-take, but now I'm not so sure. I'm going to take some more full lengths this week to see where I stand. If I'm doing okay, I'll take it Monday but if I don't feel confident about it I'll void my scores. Any more opinions on this?

So I posted here at the beginning of the month when I got my scores from the 5/31 debacle and was less than thrilled. After I saw my VR score I was sure I had to retake, but now I'm "on the fence" about re-taking this thing. Here's the rundown:

My practice test scores prior to the first writing on 5/31 were in the 36-39 range (11-13 PS, 10-12 VR, 12-15 BS). I ended up getting a 32 on the real thing (which I'm fine with), and while the science scores were on target, I bit the big one on VR (7). Since 8 seems to be the magic number to not get screened out, I felt I should re-take since I know my VR abilities are better than a 7. However, since all I've been doing to prepare for my re-take on 8/6 is VR practice (averaging 11s again), I'm afraid that I'll improve VR but my science scores will drop and in the end my total score won't be any better and I'll look like an idiot for re-taking.

To further complicate matters, I just got an interview invite from Case Western today, and they've seen my first MCAT scores. Maybe the rest of my app made up for it? I asked for advice from the lady I spoke to in admissions today, and she said that she really couldn't offer me any advice other than that Case takes the most recent scores, so if I do re-take it, I should really try to avoid doing worse. Yeah, no pressure or anything... :rolleyes:

People in this thread previously advised to go ahead and re-take, but now I'm not so sure. I'm going to take some more full lengths this week to see where I stand. If I'm doing okay, I'll take it Monday but if I don't feel confident about it I'll void my scores. Any more opinions on this?

Sorry this has nothing to do with your post but..

Spartans + Blue Jays... nice haha.. Case/Hopkins your fav schools?

Sorry this has nothing to do with your post but..

Spartans + Blue Jays... nice haha.. Case/Hopkins your fav schools?

sort of... Case is my undergrad alma mater, I got my master's as Hopkins

Back on topic, can anyone advise me on a re-take? It's only 5 days away!

Hey everyone,

I scored a 28 M (PS:8 VR: 9 BS: 11) :confused:

My GPA is a 3.83 and science is 3.71. I was planning to retake the test next week, but now I am unsure. I feel burned out and haven't been doing as well on the retakes. I still have yet to submit my AMCAS application because I am hesitant to indicate on the application that I am retaking the test.
Should I retake or just submit my application?

What do you guys think my chances are in a private school out of state? (I have 2 summers of research, and a lot of volunteer and leadership experience.)

Any help at all would be great. :oops:
PLEASE.... :)

Hi, I just took the July 24th MCAT and felt really horribly after finishing the exam. This was second attempt, my score for the first attempt was 12PS, 6VS :( (English is my second language, not really a valid excuse) , 10BS, and P for WS. I just gradueated with a chemistry major/biology minor with an overall GPA of 3.88 and science GPA of 3.91 and returning to finish my MS before hopefully entering medical school. Tutor physics and chemistry for high school and college, extensive lab and research experience, and teach chemistry (general/organic/physical) problem/solutions class at the university.

I was wondering what are my chances of getting accepted into a US medical school and should I retake the MCAT a third time if the score stayed the same or decease. Any suggestion is greatly appreciated and sorry if my English is confusing, I'm still struggling with it. Thanks.

According to the guidelines, I shouldn't retake. But should I retake? 14-BS, 10-PS, 8-VR, T-WS. My PI knows one of the admissions officers at Vanderbilt and she said she was dismayed that I got an 8 on the verbal reasoning.

According to the guidelines, I shouldn't retake. But should I retake? 14-BS, 10-PS, 8-VR, T-WS. My PI knows one of the admissions officers at Vanderbilt and she said she was dismayed that I got an 8 on the verbal reasoning.

I'm in a similar boat and I'm retaking. I got a 14 BS, 11PS, 7VR, P-WS, having averaged 11s on VR practices. I'm retaking on Monday. Although, honestly, had I gotten an 8, I probably wouldn't be retaking. An MSTP student in my thesis lab at Hopkins got an 8 on VR, and, well, she got into MSTP at Hopkins. If that's the only weak link in your chain, I wouldn't retake. I'm only retaking because 8 seems to be the magic number for screening and I know I'm capable of a heck of a lot better.

I'm in a similar boat and I'm retaking. I got a 14 BS, 11PS, 7VR, P-WS, having averaged 11s on VR practices. I'm retaking on Monday. Although, honestly, had I gotten an 8, I probably wouldn't be retaking. An MSTP student in my thesis lab at Hopkins got an 8 on VR, and, well, she got into MSTP at Hopkins. If that's the only weak link in your chain, I wouldn't retake. I'm only retaking because 8 seems to be the magic number for screening and I know I'm capable of a heck of a lot better.
I am going to retake the test, but I am only doing so for those schools that do not operate on rollings admissions. I took the test once before and got a 10 on verbal reasoning, so hopefully they'll consider an 8 a fluke. I will go ahead and have those schools that operate on rollings admissions consider my score because I worry that postponing for 2-3 months simply to improve an MCAT could hurt me more than a moderately improved MCAT would benefit me.

My Cumulative GPA is 3.3 and science of 3.1. I completed med school level classes with passes in embryology, biochemistry, physiology, and endocrinology. I am 23, mexican and a californian.

I took the MCAT Aug 2005 and got a PS 6, VR 5, and BS 8.

Currently, I have been studying to retake the MCATs on Aug 14th. I have been scoring a range of 8-10 PS, mainly 6's (1 time I got an 8) VR, and 9-10s BS.

I know that I can pull off 10's and maybe 11's on the BS and PS. Do you think it would be safe for me to take the exam and pray that I get a 7 or 8 on verbal? Or should I just postpone and wait to take the exam until I get higher numbers.

I used to read this thread regularly, so I just thought that I'd post back here that I took the 6/15 MCAT, got a 30 overall (8 PS 12 VR 10 BS), and did think about retaking because of the 8. I decided not to, and so far so good. It's still a little too early to tell the end result, but I just wanted to post that invites just started going out last week, and I already got an invite to GWU. Granted, it's not an acceptance, but it suggests that an 8 can definitely cut it at good med schools if you apply early. Perhaps not at Harvard and the like, but I'm not complaining. Also, I got screened secondaries from EVMS, UIC, Loyola and Miami. Only got rejected pre-secondary from Wake Forest so far, but from what I've read, Wake's screen is pretty random.

Anyway, just wanted to post some support for those that have a 30+ MCAT , an 8 in one section, a good gpa, and good ECs. That 8 does not define your application. You do.

My Cumulative GPA is 3.3 and science of 3.1. I completed med school level classes with passes in embryology, biochemistry, physiology, and endocrinology. I am 23, mexican and a californian.

I took the MCAT Aug 2005 and got a PS 6, VR 5, and BS 8.

Currently, I have been studying to retake the MCATs on Aug 14th. I have been scoring a range of 8-10 PS, mainly 6's (1 time I got an 8) VR, and 9-10s BS.

I know that I can pull off 10's and maybe 11's on the BS and PS. Do you think it would be safe for me to take the exam and pray that I get a 7 or 8 on verbal? Or should I just postpone and wait to take the exam until I get higher numbers.

I think a verbal score of 8 and up is the only way to go for a school in california .. no 7s

I am going to retake the test, but I am only doing so for those schools that do not operate on rollings admissions. I took the test once before and got a 10 on verbal reasoning, so hopefully they'll consider an 8 a fluke. I will go ahead and have those schools that operate on rollings admissions consider my score because I worry that postponing for 2-3 months simply to improve an MCAT could hurt me more than a moderately improved MCAT would benefit me.

Some schools take your highest scores in each section (although I'm not sure which). I still think that you would be OK without retesting b/c you're still very close to the mean at most schools (even first tier) in MCAT and your GPA is higher than the entering average at any med school in the US.

Some schools take your highest scores in each section (although I'm not sure which). I still think that you would be OK without retesting b/c you're still very close to the mean at most schools (even first tier) in MCAT and your GPA is higher than the entering average at any med school in the US.

I've heard that Tufts does that, but I could be wrong.

ph-8
vr-9
bi-9

26t - first time studied a lot. Think I can improve but don't want to risk getting lower. suggestions??

So I will be taking it again in August (14th) but just want some feedback on what things would be like if I stuck with my scores.

MCAT VR: 7 PS: 8 BS: 14:eek: WS: Q

Practice Kaplan scores: 29, 27, 33, 33 (the breakdowns are pretty even)

Practice AAMC scores: VR: 10-11 PS: 10-11 BS: 10-12

GPA: 3.9 (at a solid Jesuit school)

EC: May have a published paper in the coming year (Physics of Ecology
:confused:. Going to the Dominican Republic to help in a clinic for a couple weeks. Couple honors societys, maybe one more and probably working at an inner city hospital for a couple semesters. Oh yeah and a year doing work in Physical Therapy at a nursing home.

Applied to: UMDNJ (Both schools) --> I live in NJ
University of Maryland
Jefferson
Temple
Drexel
Tufts
Boston U
Georgetown
Wake Forest

Any positive feedback would be uplifting, while I will crush anyone who gives negative feedback. After which they will tell me to apply to UPenn :smuggrin:. LOL thanks.

ph-8
vr-9
bi-9

26t - first time studied a lot. Think I can improve but don't want to risk getting lower. suggestions??

Yes, retake. Be ready for the test and make sure your practice scores are significantly above 30 before you sit for it, though.

So I will be taking it again in August (14th) but just want some feedback on what things would be like if I stuck with my scores.

MCAT VR: 7 PS: 8 BS: 14:eek: WS: Q

Practice Kaplan scores: 29, 27, 33, 33 (the breakdowns are pretty even)

Practice AAMC scores: VR: 10-11 PS: 10-11 BS: 10-12

GPA: 3.9 (at a solid Jesuit school)

EC: May have a published paper in the coming year (Physics of Ecology
:confused:. Going to the Dominican Republic to help in a clinic for a couple weeks. Couple honors societys, maybe one more and probably working at an inner city hospital for a couple semesters. Oh yeah and a year doing work in Physical Therapy at a nursing home.

Applied to: UMDNJ (Both schools) --> I live in NJ
University of Maryland
Jefferson
Temple
Drexel
Tufts
Boston U
Georgetown
Wake Forest

Any positive feedback would be uplifting, while I will crush anyone who gives negative feedback. After which they will tell me to apply to UPenn :smuggrin:. LOL thanks.

You can probably get into some of the schools on your list with your score, but it'd be much easier with a score > 30, but of course you know that. I would retake.

Hi all. First, to those of you in situations where you can't figure out whether to retake or not, I feel for you! I hope that whatever decision you end up making, stick with it and be confident.

That said, here's my situation. I did well over: a 35 S, but it broke down to 8PS, 13VR, 14BS. I'm only applying to Canadian schools and most people tell me that a 9 is the minimum in *any* section to be considered when you're out of province (which I am for all except one school - and I'd love to stay in my home province but don't want to count on being able to get into this one school!).

I'm worried that if I retake (end of august) I'll end up dropping in VR and/or BS and maybe not improving at all in PS! (When I did practice tests, the lowest I ever got in PS was a 9, and that was on the test I took with no studying. I averaged an 11 in PS.) I'm worried about having multiple MCAT scores on my applications, too...

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks all and good luck.

Sickgirl, I wouldn't retake.

Hi all....

So here is my situation:
MCAT Jan '07 28M (8 PS, 9 VR, 11 BS, M)
( i hadn't taken my second semester of physics at this point and spent about a month cramming.)
May '07 27R (9 PS, 8 VR, 10 BS, R)
(my bad, i tried to rush into taking it a second time...didn't really study at all due to schoolwork and being in season for golf)

That being said, I have a 3.92 GPA ( 3.92 science, 3.92 everything else), have done 3 semesters of research, about 6 months clinical volunteer, am a phi beta kappa member, student athlete advisory committee member and am a division one collegiate golfer. I am really interested in going to the U of MN, which is in state for me.
I JUST retook the MCAT's yesterday on Aug 6th. I felt more prepared for this one, but i guess we will see. I have a slight case of test anxiety...:(

I've already sent in my AMCAS app and have sent in some secondaries (a few more to go-i applied to neighboring state schools and a couple private schools)...I have to get in somewhere! i've never wanted anything more in my entire life! :oops:

what do you guys think about my chances? pls be honest! :confused:

MNGirl, you should be posting in pre-allo, but I think you'll have an excellent shot at UMN. Improving this time around on the MCAT will be necessary though, since you've taken it twice and went down once... that's a really bad sign, usually.

Hi,

I'm really not sure if I should retake. I'm scheduled for August 14th-- 5 days.

My first set of scores were:

PS-13
VR-7 :(
BS-11
WS- R

(cGPA- 3.84 ,science GPA- 3.82 completed Biochem degree)

I've been practicing like crazy, but I dont feel confident that my VR score has really improved. I've been getting between 8-11 on this section, sometimes just escaping a 7 by a point. I'm also scared that I might go down on the other 2 sections, since my lowest in each has been a 10 (once for each PS, BS). I've gotten three 14's on AAMC practice tests for PS, but thats not my problem...

Should I re-write? I'm a NY resident. Heres some of the activities I submitted to AMCAS:
-Retinoblastoma Assistant Researcher (2 summers)

-Research Paper, Published in JOGC
-Biochemistry Honors Project
-Teach for Kaplan
-Biochemistry Seminar & Poster Presentations
-Recreational Basketball and Soccer -Calculus Tutor
-Patient Care Services (in clinics, hospitals, etc—lots)
-University Admission Scholarships
-Dean’s List; Golden Key Intn’l Honor Society
-Computer Consultant

I've applied to about 40 schools, all East side, none of them like Duke, Hardvard, Yale, uPenn, etc, in case my score dropped.

If anyone can please tell me why I should/ shouldnt re-take, I would really appreciate it. I just think that the 7VR will close me out right off the bat.

thanks!

Hi,

PS-13
BS-11
WS- R

I've been practicing like crazy, but I dont feel confident that my VR score has really improved. I've been getting between 8-11 on this section, sometimes just escaping a 7 by a point. I'm also scared that I might go down on the other 2 sections, since my lowest in each has been a 10 (once for each PS, BS). I've gotten three 14's on AAMC practice tests for PS, but thats not my problem...

Should I re-write? I'm a NY resident. Heres some of the activities I submitted to AMCAS:

-Teach for Kaplan
-Dean’s List; Golden Key Intn’l Honor Society
-Computer Consultant

I've applied to about 40 schools, all East side, none of them like Duke, Hardvard, Yale, uPenn, etc, in case my score dropped.

If anyone can please tell me why I should/ shouldnt re-take, I would really appreciate it. I just think that the 7VR will close me out right off the bat.

thanks!

Yes I think you should retake. If you had ~35, then yeah, don't retake it even with 7 VR, but with 31, the retake decision is easier to make.

Hi,

PS-13
BS-11
WS- R

-Teach for Kaplan
-Dean's List; Golden Key Intn'l Honor Society
-Computer Consultant

thanks!

I think you should re-take if you were confident that you could improve the VR. I was in a very similar situation (same VR score, 11 in PS, 14 in BS), and I retook it Monday. I felt I should retake because my practice VR scores were in the 10-12 range, and burnout and lack of focus during the test contributed to the low VR score. My only concern was that since I studied only VR for the retake that my science scores would drop. But during the retake exam I felt more confident about all the sections than I did the first time, so I guess we'll see. Whatever your decision is, best of luck to you!

don't retake, I am in same situation now, decent PS (13)and BS (12), and 9 on verbal. I been trying so hard improving my verbal, but my practice score fluctuate between 8-11.

it's will be like throwing a dice if you re-take verbal

PS - 12
VR - 09
W - S
BS - 12

HELP!

I'm quite sad :(

June 13th

VR - 7, I knew i screwed up..guess I was just hoping for a prayer.
PS - 12
BS - 10
Writing - R

First time I took it in 2005 (wasn't prepared at all)

VR - 4
PS - 6
BS - 9
Writing - O

GPA - TBD..probably 3.5-3.6,

Do I retake?

June 13th

PS - 12
BS - 10
Writing - R

VR - 4
PS - 6
BS - 9
Writing - O

GPA - TBD..probably 3.5-3.6, work at a hospital for the past year, ok EC's

Registered for Sept 11th...Do I retake? Is it late?

June 13th

PS - 12
BS - 10
Writing - R

VR - 4
PS - 6
BS - 9
Writing - O

GPA - TBD..probably 3.5-3.6, work at a hospital for the past year, ok EC's

Registered for Sept 11th...Do I retake? Is it late?

IDK raptors... that's an impressive increase. If your heart is set on this cycle, appy broadly and retake for the 11th if you want. Best of :luck:

I just scored PS: 10, VR: 11, BS: 8, WR: R on my first attempt. I am definitely retaking, but I am just at a loss to explain my BS score. On the last 3 practice exams I took, I scored in the 13-14 range. The other scores are on par with my practice tests. The thing is, I did not feel like I messed up the BS section on the test, and I am really confused as to how I could possibly score 5-6 points lower without even feeling like I did poorly. Has anyone else experienced something like this before? Any feedback would be much appreciated.

Status
Not open for further replies.