**Official SMDEP 2012 Thread**

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
One of them was in review since 1/31, the other two just became "in review" this morning. My gpa is 3.53.

When did you submit your app? I submitted mine 1/07 but it was complete until 1/31. I have nothing next to any of my schools, it's just blank :(

Members don't see this ad.

When did you submit your app? I submitted mine 1/07 but it was complete until 1/31. I have nothing next to any of my schools, it's just blank :(

My application was considered complete on 1/10/2012

Looks like they are going off of when it was completed.

Members don't see this ad :)
So UVA says my application is in review!!!!:soexcited: :soexcited:

But it still says my LOR's are not there when I know one of them should at least be there??? :eyebrow:

So my guess is they just haven't updated but it is in?? :shrug:

Hey, just a quick question...how many days does it take for the transcript to get processed? Mine was sent on the 30th (late, I know, but it's a longggggg story). I still don't see it listed as "received" on the SMDEP app status page, so should I resend it? Or should I wait a few more days?

Hey, just a quick question...how many days does it take for the transcript to get processed? Mine was sent on the 30th (late, I know, but it's a longggggg story). I still don't see it listed as "received" on the SMDEP app status page, so should I resend it? Or should I wait a few more days?

It should take about a week, could be a little longer wait.

They also could have received it but not update your status. I sent mine two weeks before the deadline and they did not update it until I called them because I was worried. They told me they have received it and "completed" my application then.

Hey guys, my applications reached "complete" status on the 24th and I applied to Nebraska, Howard, and UT Houston.

I was just wondering if I have a good/decent chance of getting into the sites above;

-4.0 GPA
-strong essays
-asian-american
-live in an underserved community

Hey guys, my applications reached "complete" status on the 24th and I applied to Nebraska, Howard, and UT Houston.

I was just wondering if I have a good/decent chance of getting into the sites above;

-4.0 GPA
-strong essays
-asian-american

LOL What do you think? :laugh:

something fishy is going on. I submitted my transcript like 2 weeks ago almost 3 now and they STILL haven't received it. I have went every route possible to track and reconfirm its destination.

I think something is going on in the background, seems like I'm not the only one with a missing transcript. I wasted so much money on transcripts. I don't have all this money to be sending around. I want to apply to PREP now but I don't really even have the funds to re-request more transcripts

im SUPER underrepresented and disadvantaged, i would have been a perfect candidate and i wrote and awesome essay too.

something fishy is going on. I submitted my transcript like 2 weeks ago almost 3 now and they STILL haven't received it. I have went every route possible to track and reconfirm its destination.

I think something is going on in the background, seems like I'm not the only one with a missing transcript. I wasted so much money on transcripts. I don't have all this money to be sending around. I want to apply to PREP now but I don't really even have the funds to re-request more transcripts

im SUPER underrepresented and disadvantaged, i would have been a perfect candidate and i wrote and awesome essay too.
I think it's just that they are so backed up with the Feb. 1st deadline that in order to get it all processed they just didn't update the website but have it completed for their records.

-4.0 GPA
-strong essays
-asian-american

I think Asians are considered overrepresented minorities in the medical field, and if you're actually not disadvantaged, it will definitely be tougher for you to be admitted to SMDEP. SMDEP was organized to specifically help underrepresented minorities who are either educationally or financially disadvantaged. Ethnicity and your background is possibly the most important factor that determines your admission no matter how intelligent you are.

-4.0 GPA
-strong essays
-asian-american

Sounds good. Only thing going against you is being an ORM in the medical field.

Members don't see this ad :)

SMDEP updates information slowly especially toward the decision release date. It may take up to 2 weeks for them to mark your status as "received" after they actually receive your transcript. If you have waited longer, I suggest trying calling them around 9:30 am when they are open.

Last edited:
Does anyone know how often they update the website, because my schools have been blank for over a week.

Does anyone know how often they update the website, because my schools have been blank for over a week.

Not enough :laugh:

Right now I have two schools reviewing my application and none of my LORs are shown as "Received" :(

Not enough :laugh:

Right now I have two schools reviewing my application and none of my LORs are shown as "Received" :(

All of my stuff has been in and approved for over a week. They need to do better. :laugh:

SMDEP updates information slowly especially toward the decision release date. It may take up to 2 weeks for them to mark your status as "received" after they actually receive your transcript. If you have waited longer, I suggest trying calling them around 9:30 am when they are open.

I agree. If you call later in the afternoon, it most likely would take a while before somebody would be able to talk to you.

woo hoo! i just found this post. I applied too, to UCLA, Columbia, and washington. I finished my app back in December, and my my ucla and columbia apps have been in "review" since early January. I got a call about 3 weeks ago from columbia, did anyone else get a call? :)

woo hoo! i just found this post. I applied too, to UCLA, Columbia, and washington. I finished my app back in December, and my my ucla and columbia apps have been in "review" since early January. I got a call about 3 weeks ago from columbia, did anyone else get a call? :)
Hello! :hello:
I also applied to Columbia and my app is in review. My app has been completed since mid- January and I haven't received a call. But I know some people have received calls from Duke asking about their math and science classes. If you don't mind me asking what did Columbia call you about?

Hello! :hello:
I also applied to Columbia and my app is in review. My app has been completed since mid- January and I haven't received a call. But I know some people have received calls from Duke asking about their math and science classes. If you don't mind me asking what did Columbia call you about?

The person in charge of smdep at Columbia called me for a quick review my grades last quarter, when I sent my app my fall grades hadn't been released. Hopefully thats a good sign :)

Hey SMDEPers! I am applying for the dental programs at Columbia, Nebraska, and Louisville. My applications have been "in review" for about two weeks now. I am a white female with a 3.75 GPA and a 27 ACT score. I am from a very rural and economically disadvantaged background. What are my chances of getting in?
Couple of other questions:
Will the decisions come out at midnight?
Should I call the locations just to check on the application and make sure they don't have questions?

[/COLOR]

Hey SMDEPers! I am applying for the dental programs at Columbia, Nebraska, and Louisville. My applications have been "in review" for about two weeks now. I am a white female with a 3.75 GPA and a 27 ACT score. I am from a very rural and economically disadvantaged background. What are my chances of getting in?
Couple of other questions:
Will the decisions come out at midnight?
Should I call the locations just to check on the application and make sure they don't have questions?

[/COLOR]
Ugh I'm not sure how to gauge your chances but your stats look good and I think your background will also help. But I know for sure decisions will not be out at midnight. It will be later that day around the time the office is open. Best of luck to you! :luck:

Last edited:
The person in charge of smdep at Columbia called me for a quick review my grades last quarter, when I sent my app my fall grades hadn't been released. Hopefully thats a good sign :)
Well it's definitely not bad. They just want to have update info to make the most informed decision which hopefully aids in you acceptance. :)

I'm an optimistic person! :D

Ugh I'm not sure how to gauge you chances but your stats look good and I think your background will also help. But I know for sure decisions will not be out at midnight. It will be later that day around the time the office is open. Best of luck to you! :luck:
Results will definitely not be out at midnight. from where i sit it looks like your chances are good but, you are not a URM. I would say it really depends on your essay and how disadvantaged your background is in comparison to everyone else. Good Luck!

Hey Guys!
Did any of your apply to the Yale, Columbia, UW site, if yes, it would be great if i can compare stats

G.P.A 3.95 (But no sciences yet) Will this affect my chances?
Freshman, URM
Great essays
One of my LOR's is still not marked as received :scared:

Application sent on the 31st of December and marked complete on the 11th of January
AAAAAAHHHH IIMMM SSSSOO NEERRRRVVVOOOUUUSSSSSS

Hey Guys!
Did any of your apply to the Yale, Columbia, UW site, if yes, it would be great if i can compare stats

G.P.A 3.95 (But no sciences yet) Will this affect my chances?
Freshman, URM
Great essays
One of my LOR's is still not marked as received :scared:

Application sent on the 31st of December and marked complete on the 11th of January
AAAAAAHHHH IIMMM SSSSOO NEERRRRVVVOOOUUUSSSSSS

I applied to Columbia and I don't think it will affect your chances.
GPA = 3.5 (engineering major)
Sophomore, URM
Also Great Essays
Even though I know one of my LOR should be there it is not marked as received either. :mad:

Completed on Jan. 20th and as of today two sites are reviewing my application.

Results will definitely not be out at midnight. from where i sit it looks like your chances are good but, you are not a URM. I would say it really depends on your essay and how disadvantaged your background is in comparison to everyone else. Good Luck!

Good luck to all of you as well! Is anyone else doing the dental program? It seems like almost everyone is doing medical. I tried to apply to more competitive programs (Columbia) and less competitive (Louisville).

I am so nervous! I really hope I get in! Where does everyone go to school? I go to Mizzou.

Good luck to all of you as well! Is anyone else doing the dental program? It seems like almost everyone is doing medical. I tried to apply to more competitive programs (Columbia) and less competitive (Louisville).

I am so nervous! I really hope I get in! Where does everyone go to school? I go to Mizzou.
Yeah I am applying for the medical program. I did the same with applying to the most competitive (Columbia) to the least (UVA).

Welcome to the SEC!!!! :) :claps:
I got to the University of Tennessee and obviously I am a big Lady Vols fan. :biglove:

i go to the University of WA. I am really hoping i at least get into the one here. I am doing the medical program as well, I know a few people who applied to the dental program at Columbia but everyone else i know is pretty doing the medical program. Yikes! so little spots to fill, so many applicants

Hey guys! I've applied to UCLA Duke and Yale. I had a couple questions though. First I got the call from duke but they haven't changed the status of my application to in review yet on the website. Is it the same for anyone else?
Second question: I applied to UCLA even though I am not from Cali do you think I still have the opportunity to get in that, or was that a bad decision?
Thirdly- Have you guys applied to any other summer programs? I was looking into the PREP program any info on that guys?

Thanks and good luck!:)

Hey guys! I've applied to UCLA Duke and Yale. I had a couple questions though. First I got the call from duke but they haven't changed the status of my application to in review yet on the website. Is it the same for anyone else?
Second question: I applied to UCLA even though I am not from Cali do you think I still have the opportunity to get in that, or was that a bad decision?
Thirdly- Have you guys applied to any other summer programs? I was looking into the PREP program any info on that guys?

Thanks and good luck!:)
They are probably just a bit late in updating information online. I didn't apply to Duke but i have friends who are in the same boat as you so, don't worry quite as much about it.
From what hear UCLA is strictly for community college kids, idk where you go to school but if its not a community college then your chances probably aren't that good.
Lastly, no if i do not get in i will mostly likely be doing research and summer school full time. God luck!

Hi smdep applicants for 2012.......I participated in smdep in summer 2011 and it was one of the best experiences I could ask for.....if you have any questions just ask.

O yea I matriculated from the New Jersey UMDNJ site :)DThe best site:D) lol :laugh:

Hi smdep applicants for 2012.......I participated in smdep in summer 2011 and it was one of the best experiences I could ask for.....if you have any questions just ask.

O yea I matriculated from the New Jersey UMDNJ site :)DThe best site:D) lol :laugh:

I'm interested in hearing about your experience at UMDNJ. There are 2 campuses, one in Piscataway and the other in Newark, and I believe the program is only held at the Newark campus. What kinds of activities did you participate in? Also, why would you describe UMDNJ as one of the best sites?

hey, who makes the decisions at the sites, of who gets admitted and who doesn't? Just wondering :confused:

Do they ever answer the phone? I waited 30 minutes and still didn't get an answer. :annoyed:

Do they ever answer the phone? I waited 30 minutes and still didn't get an answer. :annoyed:

I'm really sorry to hear that. You have to call them at 9:30AM. If they're closed, keep calling them until they are open; they will open soon enough. You may have to wait 5 minutes or so if the representative answered someone else's call first. The calls are picked up in first-come first-serve basis.

I'm interested in hearing about your experience at UMDNJ. There are 2 campuses, one in Piscataway and the other in Newark, and I believe the program is only held at the Newark campus. What kinds of activities did you participate in? Also, why would you describe UMDNJ as one of the best sites?

And what would you say was the most helpful part of the program?

Yeah, I waited for an hour and 15 minutes just to talk to a representative. :( I probably called at a bad time though (12:00 pm est) but I was determined to talk to someone about my application so I waited.

is everyone's applications "in review" at this point for all three sites? only one of the sites i applied to is reviewing it at the moment...

is everyone's applications "in review" at this point for all three sites? only one of the sites i applied to is reviewing it at the moment...
my apps for columbia and ucla have been in review since early january, but nothing has happened with my washington one.

my apps for columbia and ucla have been in review since early january, but nothing has happened with my washington one.
My washington one is still holding out as well :( Perhaps they are just too lazy to put it online

Application complete! It was completed after the first though, so i'll have to wait until March 1st to know what's up. Anyway, i'm crossing my fingers!

same for me. only one site is "in review."

Only Columbia and UVA are in review for me. My app was also completed before the Feb. 1.

What the heck! All three of my schools are still blank :(
It's probably because you completed the application after Feb. 1st. I did, and all three schools on my status page are completely blank.

That also makes sense because we get our decisions on the first, compared to the "earlier" applicants who get their decisions on the 15th. I'm sure that after the first round is over on the 15th, we'll all start getting our stuff reviewed! :)

My experience at UMDNJ was awesome aside from the nice dorms we stayed in and the constant trips to New York city we seemed to take to take every weekend..... It's the best.

One of the strengths of the New Jersey program is that you are able to do full cadaver body dissections that most of the other sites don't offer( cough cough *yale* for example*) lol jk jk
Also since its located in Newark, when you do your shadowing experience with your doctors you'll get some of the most diverse group of patients ever.

Unfortunately depending on the track you place in you'll have to take enrichment classes. track 1 is the Physiology/anatomy group with anatomy intensive lab (Full cadaver dissection)......Track 2: is the Organic chemistry/ physics group with general anatomy lab ( not full cadaver dissection but you observe what track 1 dissected)....I was in track 1 :))) but track 2 tends to be the larger group.

Also at UMDNJ the program coordinator and participating doctors are very friendly and somewhat motherly lol. If you apply for this site you wont regret it and I called it the best because its the one i went lol any site i went to I would've called the best but UMDNJ offers many oppurtunities that are overlooked since most people apply to the bigger name schools ( Yale, Columbia, UCLA etc...). Of course every site has their positives tho.

And what would you say was the most helpful part of the program?

perhaps the summer enrichment classes....when I returned to school in the fall I was a little ahead of everyone ...that was a major +....got an A in my biology course :).....O yea and the shadowing ...cant' forget the shadowing....I shadowed in the pathology, pediatrics and neonatal departments.