Official SUNY Stony Brook

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
scneuro said:
I"m upset that I won't be able to join you on Friday, please keep me posted on what goes on and I can't wait to meet you all in June!!!

Will do- only a few more days now!

Members don't see this ad.

Enjoy tomorrow!!! Don't forget to give me the low-down :)

It was awesome- I'm completely sold now. Dr. Fuhrer is freakin awesome- I can't wait to play basketball with him!

Anyway, the day started off with a quick intro by Dr. Fuhrer, nothing new here. That was followed by a lecture about the curriculum and then followed by (our favorite) the financial aid lecture. We took a break for lunch (which was sweet- I had salmon) and I schmoozed with a 2nd year student.

After lunch, we returned for an interactive discussion on the Foundations course. This was followed by a VERY information student panel. I talked to one of the students for a considerable time afterward and his enthusiasm for Stony Brook was spectacular.

I have not seen a group of faculty members as open to students as I have seen here. For me, I made the decision some time ago to matriculate at Stony but I was still VERY impressed today.

Members don't see this ad :)
Clocks said:
It was awesome- I'm completely sold now. Dr. Fuhrer is freakin awesome- I can't wait to play basketball with him!

Anyway, the day started off with a quick intro by Dr. Fuhrer, nothing new here. That was followed by a lecture about the curriculum and then followed by (our favorite) the financial aid lecture. We took a break for lunch (which was sweet- I had salmon) and I schmoozed with a 2nd year student.

After lunch, we returned for an interactive discussion on the Foundations course. This was followed by a VERY information student panel. I talked to one of the students for a considerable time afterward and his enthusiasm for Stony Brook was spectacular.

I have not seen a group of faculty members as open to students as I have seen here. For me, I made the decision some time ago to matriculate at Stony but I was still VERY impressed today.

What exactly was the faculty so open about? Also, can you give me more info. on what was said about financial aid? Anything special that you learned about the curriculum today? THanks in advance!

scneuro said:
What exactly was the faculty so open about? Also, can you give me more info. on what was said about financial aid? Anything special that you learned about the curriculum today? THanks in advance!

They really didn't get into any specifics about anything, they said they would give us all the real "nuts and bolts" at the pre-orientation in June. It was really just a broad overview of what it's like there and what our time there would be like. The faculty was open in the sense that they were very friendly and joked a lot, and all of the students on the panel seem to have close relationships with all of them. They are not in the least sense stuffy - not at all, not even close. It seems to be a very close knit family, one that I look forward to joining personally.

The curriculum was went over in a very broad way too, just that they're adding clinical experience pretty much the first week of the first year through the Intro to Clinical Medicine part of the Foundations of Medicine course. The first year students now are the first to do this I think. They had a first year talk to us about the early clinical experience and she was very positive about it. She said she is so happy she got over the awkward phase of patient interaction so early and she's totally comfortable with it now. They're also in the process of building a simulation center, with patient actors and dummies, but I'm not sure when that's going to be completed.

The financial aid talk was also very general, and the speaker reinforced that all the real stuff will be related to us at pre-orientation in June. She did say that financial aid packages won't be out until the end of June, but that most of us should expect Stafford Loans (a total of $38,500 a year, $8500 of that subsidized) and the rest covered in these new Grad PLUS loans. Just do your FAFSA, the institutional form that came a few weeks ago, and the credit policy statement...and pay off all credit card debt. That was the takehome message really. I think she did say that she will post the power point she used on the SB website somewhere, so you can look that up.

That was pretty much it, we didn't really get any specific info but just being there and feeling the fantastic atmosphere was great. I was already sure I was going, but it really made me feel so happy and excited that I am. Sorry you missed it, but I'm sure the pre-orientation will be just as good, plus we'll get all the important information!

scneuro said:

Well, let me just give you a quick example.

One of the students I talked too played intramural basketball WITH Dr. Fuhrer regularly. Another student I talked with played on the intramural softball team with him. It's pretty remarkable.

One of the faculty members I sat with at lunch was often pulling aside 3rd years and talking to them for quite a lengthy time. He'd be in the middle of a bite, see a student, and then flag them down.

The students just seem to have an overall great rapport with the administration and faculty.

Clocks said:
Well, let me just give you a quick example.

One of the students I talked too played intramural basketball WITH Dr. Fuhrer regularly. Another student I talked with played on the intramural softball team with him. It's pretty remarkable.

One of the faculty members I sat with at lunch was often pulling aside 3rd years and talking to them for quite a lengthy time. He'd be in the middle of a bite, see a student, and then flag them down.

The students just seem to have an overall great rapport with the administration and faculty.

Thanks guys, I look forward to meeting both of you in June!

Not quite sure if I'm doing this right since this is my first post, but I just wanted to send a quick hello to everyone. I'm still deciding on schools but Stony Brook is up high on my list (the whole close-to-home factor). =)

thisyearsgirl said:
Not quite sure if I'm doing this right since this is my first post, but I just wanted to send a quick hello to everyone. I'm still deciding on schools but Stony Brook is up high on my list (the whole close-to-home factor). =)

Welcome Thisyearsgirl, I wish you all the best with your decision and maybe we'll be seeing you in June!!! :)

Guys-

I'm thrilled to hear you had a good time at the Revisited. I'm sorry I couldn't stop by to put name with face on Friday.

The faculty thing isn't a front; I have played pickup basketball with Furher myself on many a Friday. That guy has a mind like a steel trap - once he decides to know you (meaning once you're at SB) he won't forget you. Ever. I don't wanna out any body, so I won't name folks, but faculty will also knock back a coffee or beer with you, on their invite. The way I would say it is that it's a "pretentious-less" environment. If you're a jackass they'll be jackasses, but down-to-earth teachers that want you to succeed are the norm at SB.

You do get much more information at pre-orientation, then even more so at orientation week. But you don't LEARN anything until you're in the mix, so roll with it.

Holler if there are any questions that I can answer. Glad to see so many excited future peers here on SDN.

dc

I was at the second look and couldn't really tell if students socialized much together or had a life outside of medical school. Can a current student comment on what you guys do/how often you go out (even if its just to a movie or something) on the weekends?

Hi potential future classmates!

I wanted to echo medgirl84's quesiton and ask how the social life, but also, more geenrally, how the camaraderie and "togetherness" of the class is. I've heard that students at Stony Brook are not as cohesive, because it seems like a commuter school. I was wondering if it had anything to do with the anotehr rumor that Stony Brook accepts many "non-traditional" students.

ALso, for those who went to the 2nd LOOK this friday, what else happened? Did a lot of the new class show up? How did they seem? Friendly? Easy to get a long with? Etc...?

stchi888 said:
Hi potential future classmates!

I wanted to echo medgirl84's quesiton and ask how the social life, but also, more geenrally, how the camaraderie and "togetherness" of the class is. I've heard that students at Stony Brook are not as cohesive, because it seems like a commuter school. I was wondering if it had anything to do with the anotehr rumor that Stony Brook accepts many "non-traditional" students.

ALso, for those who went to the 2nd LOOK this friday, what else happened? Did a lot of the new class show up? How did they seem? Friendly? Easy to get a long with? Etc...?

Welcome stchi! I wasn't at 2nd look, but I was told at my interview and again when I visited afterwards that the class is very good about sharing notes, study guides etc. and that many students get together to go out for sushi or drinks at the end of the week or after exams. It's a small class, so I would think the class is rather coehesive. Maybe Dan and others can provide more insight!

Members don't see this ad :)
It seemed like people are pretty close with their classmates -- there weren't a ton of first years around, but there were plenty of 2nd years who all knew each other. For that matter, they seemed to know all the 4th years too. A benefit of the small class size, I suppose. On the student panel, there were 3 guys who claimed to be best friends (and mentioned this fact at every opportunity) as well as two women who lived with each other off campus (and a couple other students) all 4 years. It seemed like a good scene. I think I'm going to Stony Brook.

Hey Everyone: The impression that I got is that SB students seemed to work hard but they are very happy with SB. I'm SURE I will be also. I was told by quite a few students that after they finished classes they went home and relax for a bit and then study for 2-4 hrs every night. Its really required to keep up with the material. Everyone told me that people shared material so the environment is not competitive. The social life at SB seem to be dependent on the individual. Students told me they went skiing in Vermont together, some hung out after lab on fridays, go to NYC together etc. It seems as though a lot of the class is from either from LI or NYC and they tend to have family and friends in the area. All of the students I met were very friendly and I'm sure that anyone can make friends very easily.

Lemme tell you what you already know - social life is person/frienship circle dependent.

Remember the megagunner from Organic Chem in your undergrad? He/she got in somewhere. If that person is at SB, you can bet they aren't out partying on the weekends, because there is ALWAYS more to do. Depends on your little clique too. Mine is a partying group (or maybe I sought them out cause they party). Right now I'm sitting next to a guy that does MAYBE 1 hour per day of studying, which has decreased with the nice weather, 'cause he likes to hit golf balls in the sun. He's in the top half of our class. Have another friend downstairs in the quiet study rooms right now, he comes in a 7 am, doesn't go to class so he can study more, and leaves the library to go to the gym with me at 10 pm. Top half of the class. Who's "better"?

Lots of the class is from LI or NYC. Only 4 out of staters in our class of 104. Lots of non-trads (oldest is 41); they are in the mix but don't do many of our keg parties. The current second years have a much larger partying group - maybe 20 or so? - whereas my class seems to have the same hardcore 10 or 12 folks out at the parties. In the non-ethanol influenced world, our social chairs do what they can to keep the vibe - ski trip to Vermont in Feb, Formals in the Fall and Spring, party for whichever holiday, Broadway show, etc. A bunch of people do volunteer projects (current second years may do more than we do). I have seen NO SINGLE EPISODE of ultra-cutthroat gunner activity (knock on wood). Class gets TONS (maybe too much?) of links to helpful websites, study guides, old tests, error notices from bad texts or whatever. You get my drift. The students have each others' backs.

My progression was like this: I wanted to honor everything (still do) so I was hardcore, everyone gave me props for my focus, dedication, etc. Then I realized that a high pass is really a pass on your transcript, and that this neat little thing called "life" was running along concurrently with medical school. I reaffirmed that beer is good, lifting weights is better, and members of the opposite sex are better still. And life is good. Whoever my little sib is will get the SB Theory of Life according to Daniel, in which I will outline how to Honor a course (in my opinion) and how to enjoy life while doing it - 'cept biochem, cause that f*cked my whole day up.

Anyways, I'm thrilled with my choice. You hear some folks saying how they HATE classmates at other schools, or that students will dupe one another to get over on someone. Just haven't ever seen it here. Remember - the science at every school is the same, because you NEED to pass Step 1 of the medical license exam. The studying is what you make of it, but here or Harvard, you gotta learn it. Why not have fun while doing it?

Best,

dc

Plus, I hear that people actually CARE about intramurals at Stony Brook!

This is a huge change from my undergrad and I'm really lookin forward to getting to know my future classmates on the football field/basketball court/softball field ;)

I think its cool that the dean plays sports with the med students.

Thanks, BigDan. That was a pretty honest assessment you gave there. Appreciate it.

So basically, it seems there are quite a range of experiences between the different classes: i.e. - some classes party a lot harder, and some don't. That's all good. If there are any other Stony Brook students or incoming students, whats your opinions on these questions: How's the diversity there? Clinical rotations? and would you recommend for or against dorming the first year?

stchi888 said:
Thanks, BigDan. That was a pretty honest assessment you gave there. Appreciate it.

So basically, it seems there are quite a range of experiences between the different classes: i.e. - some classes party a lot harder, and some don't. That's all good. If there are any other Stony Brook students or incoming students, whats your opinions on these questions: How's the diversity there? Clinical rotations? and would you recommend for or against dorming the first year?

I'm an incoming student. It seems as though the majority - 90-95% of the class lives off campus starting first year. From the pannel of about 10 MS 4 students that spoke to us on Friday - no one lived on campus. I didn't not meet a single student that lived on campus at either my interview or at the second look. Just my 2 cents, maybe someone else can comment.

LowlyPremed said:
I'm an incoming student. It seems as though the majority - 90-95% of the class lives off campus starting first year. From the pannel of about 10 MS 4 students that spoke to us on Friday - no one lived on campus. I didn't not meet a single student that lived on campus at either my interview or at the second look. Just my 2 cents, maybe someone else can comment.

No one that I spoke to lived on campus. Frankly I think the on-campus housing situation is pretty grim (I have seen the inside of the West Apartments and I'll bet the others are similar).

It seemed like a decently diverse crowd of current students on the panel at the 2nd Look (hand-selected? who knows), but most of the participants in the 2nd Look Day were white. If you want to get a sense of the ethnic diversity of Stony Brook, you can peruse the online class facebooks for the classes of 2001 through 2009 here: http://blackwidow.informatics.sunysb.edu/medstud/bios/ It seems like a pretty mixed group.

The 4th years I spoke to were on the whole positive about their experiences with rotations. Where you do rotations is decided by lottery/algorithm; you rank your preferences and then the computer tries to make everyone happy. Students pass down from class to class by word of mouth where the best rotations are for each discipline. Winthrop and Stony Brook seemed to be the most popular places to do rotations, although several students referenced good learning experiences they had at the VA hospital. One pointed out that at the VA, you will see common things commonly, whereas at Stony Brook University Hospital, you will see a wider variety of pathology, and not necessarily the most common things. For example, one student rotated through SBUH without seeing an MI, but did see a bunch of weird ****.

Overall my impression was pretty great; as I mentioned before I am about 99% sure I'll be there in the fall.

hey guys, first of all congrats on getting in! i'm a first year here at stony. in fact, about a year ago i met Big Dan here on student doc and then met him here at school...

the assessment dan gave earlier in these posts is just about right. as our first year is almost done (whoo-hoo!) i'm learning more than ever that its important to balance life out...that being said, studying, hitting up classes, working out and going out is totally possible here and i've had a great last few months. but of course no matter what school you go to its what you make out of it.

anyways, i just wanted to say hi and congrats to everyone. i'll start visiting these posts more and help to answer questions any of you may have. thanks and best of luck in choosing schools. its a good point to be at. i hope to see many of you in the fall!

Anyone else out there?...haha

scneuro said:
I'm going apt. looking this weekend :) So yes, i'm here! haha

What kind of apts are you looking for? I'm just curious since I haven't started looking yet.

LowlyPremed said:
What kind of apts are you looking for? I'm just curious since I haven't started looking yet.

Well I'm doing research starting in July so I need an apt. for July 1 so I'm looking now for 1BR.

scneuro said:
Well I'm doing research starting in July so I need an apt. for July 1 so I'm looking now for 1BR.

What sort of research are you doing? (Gunner?)

Do it said:
What sort of research are you doing? (Gunner?)

haha no, definitely not a gunner. i'm in the md/phd program so we have to do a rotation beforehand.

scneuro said:
haha no, definitely not a gunner. i'm in the md/phd program so we have to do a rotation beforehand.

Sounds gunnish to me... ;)

Do it said:
Sounds gunnish to me... ;)

that's harsh! so what about you do it, do it, you definitely coming to SB? Perhaps you're the gunner trying to play it off on others! :)

scneuro said:
that's harsh! so what about you do it, do it, you definitely coming to SB? Perhaps you're the gunner trying to play it off on others! :)

Definitely coming to Stony Brook.
Definitely not a gunner -- more like a reverse gunner. :)

Do it said:

Well then I'll see you in June!

So for all of you heading to Long Island in August, where are you guys from? Am I going to be the only out-of-stater???

scneuro said:
So for all of you heading to Long Island in August, where are you guys from? Am I going to be the only out-of-stater???

I'm from pseudo-upstate New York (Orange County)... Long Island is a different world for me and I met far too many Long Islanders at the 2nd look. For this reason, I will consider myself out-of-state ;)

Clocks said:
I'm from pseudo-upstate New York (Orange County)... Long Island is a different world for me and I met far too many Long Islanders at the 2nd look. For this reason, I will consider myself out-of-state ;)

Great! Clocks, you and I are now allies!! :)

scneuro said:

Grew up and went to high school on Long Island but I've been in Manhattan (and London) for the past four years. It's going to be so weird to be back on Long Island!! I'm really excited. =)

Let's see. I'm a life-long Queens native miyself, but I did go to college on the West Coast for a couple of years. Came back east two years ago, and it looks like I'm heading even further east to Stony.

I am a native pseudo-upstater as well, also from Orange County. I've only been out to Long Island over the summers to stay at my friend's grandparents' beach house on the south shore (which is what I'll be doing most of this summer as I am refusing to get a job/volunteer/do anything other than veg). For the most part it doesn't seem very different from where I'm from anyway, a suburb of NY is a suburb of NY.

Do it said:

I'm a gunner, so what? Just kidding. I'm acutally mediocre and loving it. ;) You have more fun that way. I'm originally from NY but currently live out of state. Returning to NY will be bitter sweet.

LowlyPremed said:
I'm a gunner, so what? Just kidding. I'm acutally mediocre and loving it. ;) You have more fun that way. I'm originally from NY but currently live out of state. Returning to NY will be bitter sweet.

So are you all going to pre-orientation next month? It'll be nice to finally meet some of you guys!

scneuro said:
So are you all going to pre-orientation next month? It'll be nice to finally meet some of you guys!

I'll be there! =)

Do it said:
I'll be there. But you won't know who I am.

oh yes we will, you're be "that person" scoping out everyone trying to peg all the gunners like yourself ;) jk!

I'll be there, and if you're smart you can figure out who I am from my name tag...being that my name is kind of right there over there <-----

Anyone else here right out of college?

medgirl84 said:
Anyone else here right out of college?

Graduating tomorrow! Or, more accurately, later today! Hee!! =)

thisyearsgirl said:
Graduating tomorrow! Or, more accurately, later today! Hee!! =)
Congratulations!!! 2years removed from undergrad, but I'll be getting my masters next week.

So when is that June orientation happening?