Official SUNY Stony Brook

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
stchi888 said:
So when is that June orientation happening?

June 16th according to the information provided in the acceptance packet. anyone hear anything else about pre-orientation more recently?

Members don't see this ad.

scneuro said:
June 16th according to the information provided in the acceptance packet. anyone hear anything else about pre-orientation more recently?

Not really.

Scneuro, what type of research will you be doing at SB? What are you getting your PhD in? I thought about going MD/PhD also but decided not to in the end.

This has probably been asked many times, but what is everyone doing about housing? I put in the deposit for graduate housing but now I'm not so sure. I waited until recently to submit the forms and none of the options sounded particularly appealing. Is it easy to find off-campus places that are semi-near campus?

Members don't see this ad :)
thisyearsgirl said:
This has probably been asked many times, but what is everyone doing about housing? I put in the deposit for graduate housing but now I'm not so sure. I waited until recently to submit the forms and none of the options sounded particularly appealing. Is it easy to find off-campus places that are semi-near campus?

I'm interested in neuro and pharmacology. As for housing, I found an apt. not far from campus. The apt. I found was actually listed on stony brook's site, but I also checked local newspapers online and went around with a real estate agent.

this is the newspaper link I checked
http://www.threevillages.com/1ClassifiedTableBody.lasso?-token.classsource=16380.112114&-nothing

Hope that helps!

scneuro said:
I'm interested in neuro and pharmacology. As for housing, I found an apt. not far from campus. The apt. I found was actually listed on stony brook's site, but I also checked local newspapers online and went around with a real estate agent.

this is the newspaper link I checked
http://www.threevillages.com/1ClassifiedTableBody.lasso?-token.classsource=16380.112114&-nothing

Hope that helps!

I figured neuro but I have a few friends that are interested in one field for residency but choose to do their PhDs in something else. If I do decided to get my PhD, I will probably do it in immunology since it has such broad applications. Not sure what I want to specialize in.

About the apartments, I'm planning on living off campus and will be trying to meet potential roomates at the pre-orientation. From what I got by speaking to the current med students, most people live off campus.

LowlyPremed said:
I figured neuro but I have a few friends that are interested in one field for residency but choose to do their PhDs in something else. If I do decided to get my PhD, I will probably do it in immunology since it has such broad applications. Not sure what I want to specialize in.

About the apartments, I'm planning on living off campus and will be trying to meet potential roomates at the pre-orientation. From what I got by speaking to the current med students, most people live off campus.

Check out the apt. listings on the SB site. Most of them include utilities.

http://och.vpsa.sunysb.edu/och.htm

So what's everyone doing for the upcoming holiday weekend? Personally I'm looking forward to being home with my family and just relaxing!!!

It's memorial day weekend already? That means the pool in my apartment complex will be open - I'll be sitting at the pool soaking up some rays. Excellent.

BTW, did anyone receive their financial aid packages?

scneuro said:
So what's everyone doing for the upcoming holiday weekend? Personally I'm looking forward to being home with my family and just relaxing!!!

Going on a seven day cruise with the parentals to Bermuda/Bahamas. I return just in time to celebrate my 22nd birthday. Yay!

I've barely been home from school a week and I'm already bored to tears. I spend an equal amount of time on Long Island and NYC so if anyone ever wants to meet up, I'm definitely free. :laugh:

scneuro said:

I'm just gonna be chillin at home watchin my Mets kick some more butt!

Clocks said:
I'm just gonna be chillin at home watchin my Mets kick some more butt!

hey all! Happy June 1st! Only a few more weeks until preorientation :)

scneuro said:
hey all! Happy June 1st! Only a few more weeks until preorientation :)

Just got the e-mail from Grace Agnetti -- looks like preorientation is Friday, June 16th at the president's house... details to follow in another e-mail. I was encouraged to read that it will be "very informal." Sounds like a kegstands to me.

Yeah, I need to drive down once anyway. I'm looking forward to the preorientation!

I hope the president has a sweet pad!

Members don't see this ad :)
As a MSII at SB I receive numberous emails about housing for rent. Attached are the ones from the past month. Hope this is useful. Good luck!

Attachments

• listing.doc
    65.5 KB · Views: 221
Do it said:
I was encouraged to read that it will be "very informal." Sounds like a kegstands to me.

Heh heh. You might be surprised/pleased/disappointed/appalled to see the amount of drinking that goes on in medical school.

See ya at Preorientation.

dc

bigdan said:
Heh heh. You might be surprised/pleased/disappointed/appalled to see the amount of drinking that goes on in medical school.

See ya at Preorientation.

dc

House parties or Velvet Lounge, bigdan? Or hip flasks in anatomy lab...?

Are there any breweries in the area or bars with a brewery? Bars with international beer?

Quote: "When I read about all of the bad things about drinking it just makes me stop reading"

LowlyPremed said:
Are there any breweries in the area or bars with a brewery? Bars with international beer?

Quote: "When I read about all of the bad things about drinking it just makes me stop reading"

John Harvard's is close by and brews beer, but it is a chain restaurant so it loses points.

There are two breweries in Patchogue, which is at the other (i.e. southern) end of Nicolls Road (Rte. 97) -- BrickHouse and Blue Point. I've never had BrickHouse. Blue Point is fine but it's nothing special.

Do it said:
John Harvard's is close by and brews beer, but it is a chain restaurant so it loses points.

There are two breweries in Patchogue, which is at the other (i.e. southern) end of Nicolls Road (Rte. 97) -- BrickHouse and Blue Point. I've never had BrickHouse. Blue Point is fine but it's nothing special.

So I'm in for preorientation, I'm thinking about coming up the night before so I don't have to deal with rush hour traffic...anyone else?

Do it-

You should make a fine drinking buddy.

I do think that Blue Point is special; and I periodically like Harvards - chain or not, depending on what they have.

I like Velvet Lounge. One of our orientation week (aka Week of Beer) "get-togethers" was at the Velvet. Too small, somewhat weird, yet attractive to me. I do the Velvet at least twice a month. And if you know the Velvet, you must have purchased the good stuff from Stony Brook Beverage, right down the road. Lots of semi unique beers. Not the most rare stuff, but stuff that I can't find anywhere else on the island. Still waiting for them to get Quilmes from Argentina or Super Bock from Portugal. But anyway, reasonable stuff for a medical student that should be studying all the time.

Time is getting near folks. You getting excited at all? This is a tough road, but I've made great friends and really have enjoyed myself through the thick and thin of it. Can't wait to see y'all.

dc

scneuro said:
So I'm in for preorientation, I'm thinking about coming up the night before so I don't have to deal with rush hour traffic...anyone else?

I'll be there next week. I'll be in NY for the entire weekend so I'll be checking out some apartments while I'm there.

bigdan said:
Do it-

You should make a fine drinking buddy.

I do think that Blue Point is special; and I periodically like Harvards - chain or not, depending on what they have.

I like Velvet Lounge. One of our orientation week (aka Week of Beer) "get-togethers" was at the Velvet. Too small, somewhat weird, yet attractive to me. I do the Velvet at least twice a month. And if you know the Velvet, you must have purchased the good stuff from Stony Brook Beverage, right down the road. Lots of semi unique beers. Not the most rare stuff, but stuff that I can't find anywhere else on the island. Still waiting for them to get Quilmes from Argentina or Super Bock from Portugal. But anyway, reasonable stuff for a medical student that should be studying all the time.

Time is getting near folks. You getting excited at all? This is a tough road, but I've made great friends and really have enjoyed myself through the thick and thin of it. Can't wait to see y'all.

dc

bigdan -
Sorry if I came across like a beer snob (i.e. "no chains and Blue Point is just OK"). In truth, if it's made from malted barley and hops I probably can get down with it. However, I was slightly disappointed to find that there were not more microbreweries around when I moved here. It seems like it's mostly wine (which is alright with me too).

I like that the Velvet Lounge has outdoor space. I'm not a huge fan of the inside -- sort of weird, as you pointed out. But the outside is good for big groups. I have also heard good things about the Checkmate Inn, although I have never been there.
-Do it

Who here is down for a small get together (drinks and such) at a place in NYC, this weekend or next?

stchi888 said:
Who here is down for a small get together (drinks and such) at a place in NYC, this weekend or next?

Meeee! But not this weekend -- Saturday is my graduation party and Sunday is my boyfriend's graduation party. I'm free on some weeknights though!

do it:

No need to clarify, friend. You sound like a beer drinker, and that's enough for me.

Checkmate, eh? Still haven't been. But a VERY talented peds surgery attending hangs out there. Maybe we'll check it out at orientation week, huh?

dc

hey all, just checking in before we all meet on Friday--perhaps we should have some sort of sign :) haha, just kidding. See you soon!

Hey did they send out the directions yet? ;)

I was the one clicking the way through the financial aid powerpoint presentation ;)

Clocks, you did an excellent job clicking. Heehee.

I was the girl in pink. And I'm 5'1" so everyone looks 6'4" to me. :laugh:

so what are you guys thinking about getting for the required laptop? I'm thinking a PC. I thought about a tablet, but they seem too new and it probably isn't worth it right now. your thoughts???

scneuro said:
so what are you guys thinking about getting for the required laptop? I'm thinking a PC. I thought about a tablet, but they seem too new and it probably isn't worth it right now. your thoughts???

I'm keeping my Dell. It makes me happy. =)

thisyearsgirl said:
I'm keeping my Dell. It makes me happy. =)

well what kind of laptop do you have and what do you like/dislike about it. I have a desktop right now. I was hoping to put off getting a laptop until I saw if it was really needed, but if it's required then i guess i'll get one. so what do you guys like/dislike?

I'm leaning towards a Vaio right now... I'm a huge desktop guy but I guess I will have to capitulate to the powers that be ;)

Hey guys, my first post in a while, I've been too busy doing absolutely nothing these past few weeks (other than going out to Stony Brook last week).

About the computers, I am a die-hard Mac fan and I'm always trying to convince people to join me. I just got the MacBook Pro and it is amazing. I had an iBook before this and I loved that one too, I just figured I could use something a little faster for med school. The price is a little steep but the MacBooks (sans "Pro") are cheaper and you can get a student discount on any computer. I would never in a million years go back to a PC. Plus, those commercials are so funny, and are actually true!

By the way, Clocks, I'm ******ed, I didn't even think to put two and two together and realize who you were. We ate lunch together.

samkatyac said:
By the way, Clocks, I'm ******ed, I didn't even think to put two and two together and realize who you were. We ate lunch together.

:oops:

sooooo...I received my financial aid packet today. Still looking for a computer, but I found on the IT page that we can buy a computer through dell and receive a discount as long as we're students at SBU. So I'm still looking to find out when we're considered official students and if we can take advantage of this offer, but in case anyone's interested here's the site http://premier.dell.com/portal/messages.aspx?c=US&l=en&s=eep&cs=RC979548

and SBU's IT site is
http://naples.cc.sunysb.edu/doit.nsf

question for current students, is it better to have an apple or a PC?

Hey all, I was just accepted last week! Now everything is moving pretty quickly (searching for a place to live, etc.) I'm looking forward to meeting all of you on August 21st. Could anyone tell me what I missed at pre-orientation?

Revolution said:
Hey all, I was just accepted last week! Now everything is moving pretty quickly (searching for a place to live, etc.) I'm looking forward to meeting all of you on August 21st. Could anyone tell me what I missed at pre-orientation?

congrats and welcome! you can request an info. packet from preorientation-- just call student affairs. There was a sheet for your white coat size and then the honor code. Info. about laptops being mandatory and then stuff about financial aid and housing. I'm sure the people in the office can help get that info. to you, especially the pages w/the housing listings and the people looking for roommates!

Revolution said:

Congratulations! =)

scneuro said:
question for current students, is it better to have an apple or a PC?

First off, welcome all and congrats on getting accepted and deciding to come to SB. I don't think that there is a definite "better" computer, as both will do just about anything and everything you need here. I have a Mac, and earlier in the year there were some small issues with pictures not being displayed during an exam, but most of that has since been remedied. It was nothing major, and nothing that would even remotely make me consider switching over. You'll soon learn your best bet is to take exams hard-wired in the library anyways :D Anyways, good luck and feel free to post any questions you guys have, I'm sure me and the Big Dan can handle most of them, or at least try.

jC

Hey everyone! Sorry for being absent on this forum lately but thanks to all of you who have pm'd me in the past few weeks with your questions.

I agree with JC although I have a PC laptop myself. From a network perspective both Mac and PCs are supported. As you'll all see, the IT department is a little uncooridnated at times but regardless there is no difference with how to connect to the network between the two. For class material you'll find that most of it is electronic (apparently the move for all medical schools to be "electronic"). Effectively that means that we get handouts and syllabi and study material all on .pdf format so make sure you all have adobe reader. if you can get your hands on adobe professional so you can write notes and highlight actively that would be great. I found that to be a BIG help for me when working on my laptop during lecture. In addition to pdfs we also get lots of powerpoints. As you can see both of them work on mac and PC equally well. Furthermore, since stuff is given in pdfs there is minimal formatting differences between the two computers even though it seems that faculty use a PC for their own purposes.lastly, we take exams on the computer through an internet browser so again i tihnk there is no difference between pc and mac in this respect. from what i saw any problems that one person had with images, etc...were not so much because of computer differences but because the network or the way the professors posted the exam was not ideal.

hope that helps everyone. i used to have a mac and i loved it. I switched back just because of a need to use statistical software and decision analysis software for a few jobs and grad school. i would recommend that you guys get what you are happy with.

also, last year the school gave us a bunch of free software (like an upgrade to windows pro or office for mac). find out if that's the case, especially the office for mac so you don't have to drop the big bucks unnecessarily.

JT

Hi guys,

I was just accepted to Stony Brook, it been my top choice for a long time so i'm really excited to be joining you guys!

I was wondering if you got stonybrook emails yet so that I can email the class and ask if anyone has a room in their house.

Thanks so much!!

Gaby

Hi everyone,

If anyone is interested in housing in Port Jefferson Station area please PM me. We have one bedroom available.

Sorry for the thread hijack

wendywellesley said:
Hi guys,

I was just accepted to Stony Brook, it been my top choice for a long time so i'm really excited to be joining you guys!

I was wondering if you got stonybrook emails yet so that I can email the class and ask if anyone has a room in their house.

Thanks so much!!

Gaby

Hi Gaby -- congratulations!! =)

Actually, I don't know anything about stony brook emails (I don't think we've gotten them yet? Or I don't know how to check them.), maybe someone else can help with that, but if you send me a private message with your email address, I can forward you the email that SB sent us with housing ads and the current list of first-year potential roommates.

I'd like to crash Big Dan, et. al. first year forum . . .

Another 2009 here and first, congrats on your admissions to medical school and specifically, SUNY SB . . . the medical school you may soon love (to hate). JK, sort of . . .

Medical school, overall, will be an awesome experience and like others have said will be as great as one chooses to make it. There are a variety of people from many diverse locales such as Utica, NY all the way to Ronkonkoma, NY.

But I would like to point out that it's not all pretty flowers and happy faces here at SB. =) The students, profs, doctors and admin are really good well intentioned people but there are some quality of life issues even here at the best medical school on Long Island!

(1) If you're old school about lecture slides and prefer printing your study material (rather than using your laptop 24/7), get your own cheapo laser printer. The school does not provide unlimited printing and the student lounge printer is unreliable at the worst times, though there may be a new printer when we return.

(2) If and when you buy a computer, get one with good batery life because there is a serious lack of outlets in some lecture halls and the library.

(3) There is only a small gym with the basics that is free on the undergraduate side of campus, so a gym membership to one of the private local gyms may be necessary.

(4) Bring a light sweatshirt to orientation and keep it handy because the school hasn't quite mastered the complex new technology that is air conditioining.

(5) Other random things that are worthy of mention about our wonderful little school that you may want to know are:
- We have our own aviarium in the library
- If you are someone who finds comfort in little things like good coffee and inspired interior design and architecture . . . perhaps SB might not be for you
- Parking is NOT free
- Drive carefully, many poor drivers on Long Island, including you
- Ask for help, regardless how small the concern, and try to solicit advice from more than one person, be it a teacher or fellow classmate

That's all I can think of for now . . . enjoy the remainder of your summer and come prepared to eat lots of crappy pizza, salads with tons of mayo, and hero sandwiches galore. See you all in the fall and congrats on becoming a student doctor. Feel free to send along any PMs if you have any questions.

Mark Kim