OFFICIAL: SUNY - UPSTATE Class of 2009 Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

I am currently in the

• Accepted Category

Votes: 42 51.9%
  • High Priority Waitlist Category

Votes: 28 34.6%
  • Regular Wailist Category

Votes: 11 13.6%

• Total voters
for all of you that are waiting on the waitlist, i withdrew my acceptance yesterday to Upstate so i hope one of you guys waiting get in. g'luck!

Members don't see this ad.

You rock Cal Golden Bear.....I think for the people on the hold list....u have a 0.1% chance.....but to all the HPA list people...U guys have got a decent shot.....they go through at least half of the list at minimum each year. They haven't reached the hold list in quite some years now. Best luck guys and to those who dont have admission anywhere else yet....always next year...things work out in time.

I don't think they are picking up the travel expenses for the second look weekend, but you can stay with a student the night before, which saves a liitle money.

Members don't see this ad :)
criminallyinane said:
There isn't a whole lot of rhyme or reason with Upstate's acceptances... one of my interviewers told me that he'd "love to have me there," the other told me, "I think you're in!", I'm a legacy, and yet... I didn't get in! It's very interesting...
bummer ... there's a lot of randomness in this process :( ... I hope things work out for you at other schools :)

Good luck!

spongebob_sq said:
I don't think they are picking up the travel expenses for the second look weekend, but you can stay with a student the night before, which saves a liitle money.
oh ok ... i guess i'll e-mail them to confirm. Thanks :)

Bigsheed920 said:
You rock Cal Golden Bear.....I think for the people on the hold list....u have a 0.1% chance.....but to all the HPA list people...U guys have got a decent shot.....they go through at least half of the list at minimum each year. They haven't reached the hold list in quite some years now. Best luck guys and to those who dont have admission anywhere else yet....always next year...things work out in time.

Yeah, it's probably < .1% laugh: Anyways, I think Im just going to withdraw from SUNY upstate since I already got into USC (and am waiting to hear post-interview from a few other schools) and I wanna stay in California. Upstate was a nice school but I really don't know what happened since I thought my stats were way above their average. There must have been something in the interview that they did not like about me since they placed me so low but I can't really figure out what I must have done wrong. Good luck to those of you who got in next year and good luck to those on high priority wl.

I was just wondering- for all of you who got accepted, did you receive a call on a thursday?

utterlyconfused said:
I was just wondering- for all of you who got accepted, did you receive a call on a thursday?
I was called on a Wed at around 7 pm Eastern Standard Time and told I could return the call all the way up 10 pm the same night.

Hope you get the call :):):)~!

Hey guys for those accepted---
What are you thinkin about housing next year?? Any opinions one way or another about off campus apartments vs. the on campus prof. students dorm building? Also, any convincing arguments as to why Upstate over somewhere else??

Just thought I'd get this thread back up there. ANyone else think that tomorrow could be their lucky day? I interviewd on Feb 14 and am eagerly awaiting news back from them. Good luck to everyone!

Is anyone going to second look weekend? Or do you know anything about it as in whether its just another tour or actual fun events?

anyone know which files adcom reviewed today?!?

jclarke said:
anyone know which files adcom reviewed today?!?
someone mentioned that they were interviewed on the 14th of feb. and they received an acceptance on march 16. However, not sure if that means all files up to the 14th have been reviewed. Also seems like they aren't calling to notify people who have been accepted anymore.

Good Luck :) .. Hope you get some positive news in the mail!!!!

Members don't see this ad :)
cappymo said:
Hey guys for those accepted---
What are you thinkin about housing next year?? Any opinions one way or another about off campus apartments vs. the on campus prof. students dorm building? Also, any convincing arguments as to why Upstate over somewhere else??
The on campus apts. are generally more expensive then apts. off campus. There's a good off campus housing site to check out if you get a chance: www.orangehousing.com

Even though I'm not 100% sure I'll be at Upstate next year, I think it's a great school with a beautiful campus. There's a lot of skiing around there which I love. Also, living costs are about half of what you'd incur if you went to a school in NYC. Students have lots of opportunities to particpate in away electives in other schools if they want. Lots of options for clinical training (syr vs. bing, r med prog etc). Students get access to Kaplan USMLE materials right from day 1. Seems like a fairly safe place to live relative other places. Students I met on interview day seemed very happy there ... and of course great admin folks like Jennifer Welch. You don't see any other school's staff visiting SDN to answer questions !!!

These are some of the pluses that come to mind :)

Is Upstate still interviewing?

I remember Ms. Welch saying she would have a better idea of the waitlist movement, but I can't recall if it was April 1st or May 1st ... has anyone called and got any info?

I'm nervous about pestering them so much.

Hey jclarke,

Unfortunately, I know for certain that the'll never tell you where you are on the HP list. I interviewed at Upstate not too long ago, and Ms. Welch explained that you could call her and bug her as much as you wanted but she cannot tell you were you ranked on the list. I know it's tough to be in that situation, but from what I hear if you make it onto the HP list, you've got a good shot. Good luck.

Has anyone called and asked when applicants start getting taken off the HP list?

Also, do you think it would be helpfull to write a letter of interest? Has anyone done this already?

Thanx

Hi, I emailed Ms. Welch and she said I was in a "good place" on the HP list :oops: Not an acceptance but oh so close :rolleyes: I love the admissions people at Upstate - they are actually helpful!

Howdy all.

I'll be heading to upstate in the fall, and hope to see some of there. I was wondering if anyone is taking advantage of that summer anatomy program. I personally decided not to do it (wanted to spend the extra couple months at home with the wife, get all my ducks in a row, etc), but it seems like a pretty neat opportunity for those who can.

Anyone know where some of the better neighborhoods are in Syracuse (or in outlying areas) to find housing (safe, quiet, etc)?

Thanks! :)

jclarke said:
Hi, I emailed Ms. Welch and she said I was in a "good place" on the HP list :oops: Not an acceptance but oh so close :rolleyes: I love the admissions people at Upstate - they are actually helpful!
wow .. that's great !!!! and yes .. the admissions people at Upstate are lovely :D

rpkall said:
Howdy all.
Anyone know where some of the better neighborhoods are in Syracuse (or in outlying areas) to find housing (safe, quiet, etc)?
Thanks! :)

I'm also heading to upstate this fall. My wife and I just bought a house in Camillus (we're out of state). PM me if you have specific questions regarding renting or buying off campus. I might be able to help. In general, you’ll find that housing is great value for money.

I'm so envious of you guys!!! Crossing my fingers that I'll be looking for an apartment/house for Upstate.... AHHH get me off the HPA!

jclarke said:

Do happen to have her email?

Does anyone know when applicants get taken off the waitlist? ?

I talked to someone over the phone and she said not until the first day of class..I think she made a mistake because this doesn't make sense to me.

Hey all!
Just got word from my interviewer that I was placed on the HP list. Anyone got an idea on the percentages of candidates accepted off this list? One previous poster said at least 1/2 every year with sometimes 100% taken off the list! That would be nice. Good luck to all.

Steve

I'm also heading to upstate this fall. My wife and I just bought a house in Camillus (we're out of state). PM me if you have specific questions regarding renting or buying off campus. I might be able to help. In general, you’ll find that housing is great value for money.

I just signed a lease on an apartment (I'm moving in May for summer anatomy). I could maybe help out with the housing search as well. I'd be happy to tell you if I actually took a look at an apartment complex you are considering. There are some really nice places in the area, but there are also some that once you get there, you will get a very different impression than what you get from their websites. I talked with a current student about housing and would be happy to share what she told me.

I'm really looking forward to going to Upstate. I absolutely loved it there! I look forward to meeting you guys soon :D

Darth Asclepius said:
I'm really looking forward to going to Upstate. I absolutely loved it there! I look forward to meeting you guys soon :D

I'm really excited to be heading there too. I just visited the school again yesterday and I wish I was doing the summer program, but I made a commitment to work through to July. Keep us posted how anatomy goes.

I second about looking at places before you agree to rent, there are very nice blocks and very not so nice blocks, but it's impossible to tell unless you see it for yourself.

Darth and Scottish Chap;

I appreciate the offers of help. I won't be doing the summer anatomy thing, but I'll be moving in August for the regular orientation so I'll be trying to find an apartment then (8/1/2005). My wife and I will probably go up sometime in the coming months and try to look at the various complexes in the area. As the time draws closer, it's nice to know you guys are there and willing to give me some advice on where to look too.

Thanks for the help; it's much appreciated.

Looking forward to meeting you all in August!

Last edited:
I picked Upstate because when I went for my interview, I just got an overwhelming feeling of "this is the place for me". It's hard to say exactly why, but I didn't get that feeling from any of the other schools when I interviewed. I loved the people there (faculty and students), the school itself, and Syracuse. After my interview, I walked around the area for a couple hours and just knew I belonged there. Basically, I just decided to go with my gut on this one. I talked with several of the doctors at the hospital where I shadow a surgeon and they all said that if I found a place I really liked, to go there, because it's four years of my life and if I'll be happier there, I'll be more successful.

Upstate seems to be a place where the students and faculty are more realistic and attentive to what really needs to be going on when students learn the art and science of medicine. Meaning that they have an understanding that research is important, but it also goes hand in hand with a good, solid understanding of the practice of clinical medicine--and they give you the opportunities to learn both (it has a less "intense" feel than a place like Stony Brook, which is more dominated by the need to accomplish research).

Personally, I like the RMED program, though I wouldn't sign up tomorrow to do it--I still have to feel around for what seems to make sense to me when I get up there. It's an excellent place to study how rural medicine is practiced in any specialty. Upstate has a pretty well-developed psychiatry dept too, which is pretty cool since I'm leaning towards that specialty presently.

And of course, the Syracuse winters... How can you say no to that? ;)

I didn't read what the others posted above yet because I want to give you an unbiased opinion. It's clear that SUNY Upstate has an active interest in their students – the admissions office alone demonstrates that. I've only heard glowing reports from people who have interviewed there, studied there, or been a resident there. At some of the larger, research-focused schools (where I've studied and worked for the past 6 years) teaching and medical education is often a lesser priority to faculty grant writing and publication efforts. This is the harsh reality of cutting edge research at very large institutions, I'm afraid. I've heard the following phrase more than once by a Ph.D. or M.D. rushing to the lecture hall: "...ugh...I have to leave my lab and waste an hour with these stinky medical students again...". The system is what it is. That said, I took the opportunity to visit a couple of labs on my interview day and I can tell you that they have outstanding researchers at SUNY Upstate - they're just a wee bit less ‘in your face’ than other schools.

Moreover, the gross anatomy labs (includes a great student:cadaver ratio) and histology facilities as well as the lecture halls are all new. Lectures are recorded and the videos can be downloaded afterward. In addition, the Step 1 scores are well above par and equal to the other private (higher ranked, monstrously expensive) school that I was considering. Those statistics speak for themselves so you’ll be well-prepared for the boards. This process is so expensive and time consuming that I made it my business to pay exquisite attention to the minor details before, during, and after interview day.

Overall, I just felt that SUNY Upstate was a better fit for me personally and professionally. The student body is bright, diverse, but not fiercely competitive; that impressed me. The faculty seems quite sincere also. Like anything else in life, medical school is pretty much what you make of it and if you work hard you'll do well wherever you go. It's just a question of how happy (or miserable) the peripheral environment will make one if one chooses a school based on reputation and national rank alone rather than asking oneself where one truly belongs (that's my pastiche of ancient English essayists over for the week....). For me, SUNY Upstate is, and always was, my very first choice....when I've felt this strongly about something at every major point of my 28 years, I've never gone wrong by following my heart. Hope to see you this autumn!

cappymo said:
Hey guys-- I am glad to be hearing about everyone getting pumped up for Upstate. Can I ask you what made you finalize your decision? What set Upstate apart, what specifically did you like? I am still debating between Upstate and another (far more expensive) school.... I don't want to make a decision I may regret so would like to know what solidified it for you.

Thanks and best of luck.

I took a LONG time to make my decision, but after going back to see Upstate two days ago, I remembered why I loved it so much after the interview way back in September. The facilities are nice, the professors, staff, and students are really friendly, Syracuse (to my jaded New York City eyes) is a cute college town with Syracuse University across the street, and you can walk to and from the hospitals and school and home without being in danger. Of course my husband and I love snow, and we are both eager to leave New York City (at least for a four year hiatus), so those are pluses that you might not feel. I'm really excited to be headed there, and I have turned down other, larger schools with more bells and whistles in favor of Upstate because I too have felt a gut instinct that I will be happier here.

Dr.Alex said:
I'm really excited to be headed there, and I have turned down other, larger schools with more bells and whistles in favor of Upstate because I too have felt a gut instinct that I will be happier here.
I know what you mean. It seems like such a great place to study! I'm just waiting to hear back from 2 Canadian Schools before I finalize. I've also decided that if I'm going to study medicine in the US ... then Upstate is where I'm going ... :)

Last edited:
oh, and dr. alex forgive the PM, I didnt see you post on here![/QUOTE]

that's OK. I'm definitely going to 2nd look although I've made my decision, I guess I'm so eager to go to school that I just want to hang around the place!

Second look is during exams for me. I probably would go (even though I don't have any doubts) but I'm sort of broke from that whole application/interviewing thing and I'm in Virginia, so it would cost me a few hundred bucks to go. I hope you guys have a good time at the second look!

Last edited:
cappymo said:
Has anyone recieved any info about second look day? I sent back an email reply that I would be going but havent heard anything else.... What do you wear to a day like that-- I know, I know that made me sound like a ditz but I'll take the abuse for a real answer!

haven't gotten anything yet either. I can tell you one thing - I'm not wearing a suit or heels!

Start hunting now for an apartment, my husband and I are having trouble finding something not booked yet for the fall (and we have a dog).

Start hunting now for an apartment, my husband and I are having trouble finding something not booked yet for the fall (and we have a dog).
I had to sign a lease for a month before I wanted to move to get a convenient place for me and my two cats :( The greater the distance from the school, the more apartments will be available (or at least that was the case a month ago). Good luck finding a nice place.

Hey all,
Anyone going to 2nd Look at Upstate on May 9th?? I actually haven't been accepted as of now - still on the High Priority list, but I called the school today about the list and they told me I could head up to the 'cuse for 2nd look. Other HP list people should call admissions as well and find out. They told me since I had interviewed relatively late (March 7th) I hadn't gotten an official invite, but they would e-mail/snail me one soon. Hope to see a big crowd there!

PS. Any ideas on dress styling? Casual formal (no more suits, please!)? Maybe a tux ;)

Deciding on Upstate:
I grew up in the Syracuse area and have been away for several years. When I interviewed, I had the best experience at Upstate, which surprised me. All the basics were in place, and the open/friendly approach/attitude with everyone I met made Upstate #1. When I was accepted in March, I decided to move back immediately, and actually moved in to an apartment last week!

Living in the area:
There are a number of good areas to live in the city as well as in the outlying areas. I'm not familiar with apts within walking distance. I moved last week to an apt on the northeast side (Eastwood) and the commute will be 7 - 8 minutes. I inquired about parking and was told there will be an outdoor lot for students about 3 - 4 blocks away for $16/mo and the new parking garage across the street from University Hospital will likely be available starting in September for $34/mo (key for winter!). After paying 5x that in DC, this is a bargain!

Summer Anatomy:
I signed up for this right away. A real plus. I am looking forward to getting my brain working again after being out of school for a few years.

Second look:
Unfortunately, I won't be able to make this, as I'll be on vacation then.

I'm looking forward to seeing whoever's starting on June 6th!

Don

Hey, I'll be attending 2nd look with my husband even though I too am still on the HP list . . . i can dream, no?

seriously, i want to check out the housing.

anyone have an idea on what to wear?

Last edited:
I was thinking of nice pants and a V-neck t-shirt. I can't imagine it being much warmer in two weeks, so I'll probably have a light sweater on anyway. It's something I've worn to work but also to a bar afterwards, so it's comfortable... As someone not quite accepted, I wouldn't wear jeans...but if i were an accepted candidate, I'd probably wear a really dark wash of jeans along with a blazer.

cappymo said:
Okay, so finally second look is almost here! And since the lack of replies sounds like no one has officially any idea what type of outfit is recommended then its time to be assertive and just vote amongst ourselves! Are we thinking like casual (i.e. jeans) or are we thinking nicer (like pants/skirt and a nice blouse?) Remember people, if your lie to me and I'm standing alone in jeans you will have one disgruntled classmate for four years! :laugh:

i'm going all out...three piece suit, bowtie, top hat, gold-tipped walking stick, monofocal, and will be speaking in a mangled northern english accent

really though, i'll probably just where some knakis, button down shirt, tie, and sweater...maybe the top hat

steve :D

CalH22a said:
When is the 2nd look? Is it too late to sign up?
The deadline to register was april 15th according to the e-mail that was sent out but I'm sure if you want to attend you still can. Just double check with admissions.

Unfortunately, I won't be able to make it :( :( :(

hey i am on hp list...and never got an email for the second look. is it only for students who got accepted or did some ppl on the hp get it as well

jiggaman said:
hey i am on hp list...and never got an email for the second look. is it only for students who got accepted or did some ppl on the hp get it as well

Call them. I've been contacting Ms. Welch and someone else mentioned the 2nd look here who wasn't accepted yet. When I emailed her and asked her if I could go, she said that yes I definitely should.

I don't know if it's too late to register, but definitely call and let them know you're on the HP list and you're interested in the 2nd look.

[hey, are you on stonybrook's waitlist as well? I notice your name from Hold at Downstate thread---Downstate's adcom is terrible! I love Upstate's Adcom--at least they tell you SOMEthing!]