OFFICIAL: SUNY - UPSTATE Class of 2009 Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

I am currently in the

• Accepted Category

Votes: 42 51.9%
  • High Priority Waitlist Category

Votes: 28 34.6%
  • Regular Wailist Category

Votes: 11 13.6%

• Total voters
It's good to see so much enthusiasm for Upstate. I can tell you all, I've worked in research at SUNY Upstate for the past three years, and most all of what has been said about the faculty, the school and the students is on point. There are some excellent research labs here at Upstate that are on par with the top labs from around the country, just not as many. The student body is generally laid back and most everyone is just concerned with trying to learn and help each other out. I have some friends who are 3rd and 4th year students and I've been able to see them go through the entire process so I can tell you from experience the number of gunners and overall pricks is extremely low. I've taken some graduate classes here and can tell you that there is a lot of excellent faculty here, along with a few professors who should've hung it up years ago but not too many. Let's face it, there's going to be some of those people no matter where you go, but they're all more than willing to help you out. I'm very excited about starting medical school here at Upstate this year, and look forward to meeting some of you. To those on the waitlist, I was there last year and just missed, but have faith and some patience. If you want it bad enough, you'll make it. Good luck to all. :luck:

Members don't see this ad.

DrKram20 said:
It's good to see so much enthusiasm for Upstate. I can tell you all, I've worked in research at SUNY Upstate for the past three years, and most all of what has been said about the faculty, the school and the students is on point. There are some excellent research labs here at Upstate that are on par with the top labs from around the country, just not as many. The student body is generally laid back and most everyone is just concerned with trying to learn and help each other out. I have some friends who are 3rd and 4th year students and I've been able to see them go through the entire process so I can tell you from experience the number of gunners and overall pricks is extremely low. I've taken some graduate classes here and can tell you that there is a lot of excellent faculty here, along with a few professors who should've hung it up years ago but not too many. Let's face it, there's going to be some of those people no matter where you go, but they're all more than willing to help you out. I'm very excited about starting medical school here at Upstate this year, and look forward to meeting some of you. To those on the waitlist, I was there last year and just missed, but have faith and some patience. If you want it bad enough, you'll make it. Good luck to all. :luck:

I felt that same way when i visited upstate. i just feel better there than downstate. but then, downstate is home and all. i cant decide. i hope i can decide on 2nd look cuz if not...im screwed!

superso said:
I felt that same way when i visited upstate. i just feel better there than downstate. but then, downstate is home and all. i cant decide. i hope i can decide on 2nd look cuz if not...im screwed!

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE go to Downstate so I can go to Upstate. PLEASE PLEASE :p (I'm on HP list) Congrats on your acceptances!

See you at 2nd look!

Members don't see this ad :)
I love Upstate's Adcom

I'll second that. They rock!

Everyone up there seems so helpful. I got the run-around from Blue Cross on some student health insurance questions and called Upstate to try to find the answers. They called their rep and he called me back right away after talking to them (yet hadn't returned my calls before). Had some trouble with a bank they suggested for private loans (not the bank's fault really, except they need to train the people who answer the phones- got the wrong kind of loan, all sorts of problems). Called Upstate's financial aid office to explain what was up. Got a call from their guy at the bank that afternoon and now two different people are putting my loans through as "high priority" (and they really are doing it fast). It really makes me feel good about my decision to go there because I know if I ever have a problem, they're going to help.

I thought I would add my 2 cents - please dress comfortable!!! I do not want any of you showing up in suits! This is your day to come back relaxed and learn a bit more about Upstate! Jeans are fine!

I will see you Monday!
Jennifer

cappymo said:
Okay, so finally second look is almost here! And since the lack of replies sounds like no one has officially any idea what type of outfit is recommended then its time to be assertive and just vote amongst ourselves! Are we thinking like casual (i.e. jeans) or are we thinking nicer (like pants/skirt and a nice blouse?) Remember people, if your lie to me and I'm standing alone in jeans you will have one disgruntled classmate for four years! :laugh:

i know i'm supposed to wait until after may 15th to really *itch but does anyone else on the HP list feel like everyone accepted on SDN to Upstate is actually going to Upstate? If SDN is a tiny microcosm of accepted applicants, how in the world will they get to us HP listers?
:(

I'll be giving up my spot next week. Good Luck to all you Upstate hopefuls :)

Really, thanks for making a decision! Good luck at Downstate .... there's a really great Peruvian restaurant in Park Slope, where many of your classmates will probably be living. Try the tuna sandwich (not canned tuna). so very yummy.

Yay - Hope for the HP list people!

i will be declining my spot tomorry most likely, i'm not a ny res anymore. they offered me a small scholarship - so i hope y'all get a chance at some late $$ too! gluck! :luck:

I am going to be a first year medical student at SUNY Upstate in the fall. I will be living off campus and my lease starts on 6/1. The problem is that I am currently living in Boston and my lease here does not end until 8/31, so I am hoping to sublet my bedroom for the summer:

Summer Sublet (June 1st – August 15th)

Subletting 1 bedroom (bed, and possibly dresser, included) in a 3-bedroom townhouse located at 431 Grant Boulevard (corner of Grant Boulevard and Teall Avenue).

Map:

http://www.mapquest.com/maps/map.ad...ant+Boulevard&city=Syracuse&state=NY&zipcode=

Description:

10 minute drive to Syracuse University and SUNY Upstate Medical Center/University Hospital. There is a shopping center within walking distance of the apartment.

Includes:

· Off-street parking

· 1 ½ bathrooms

· Dishwasher

· Backyard

No pets allowed

No washer and dryer located on the premises

Rent is $267 per month, plus utilities (gas and electric – shouldn’t cost much during the summer)

You would be sharing the apartment with 1 person (female)

Contact Chad via email ([email protected]) or phone (585-746-7207)

jclarke said:
i know i'm supposed to wait until after may 15th to really *itch but does anyone else on the HP list feel like everyone accepted on SDN to Upstate is actually going to Upstate? If SDN is a tiny microcosm of accepted applicants, how in the world will they get to us HP listers?
:(

i was sure i was going to upstate but somethings come up and ive decided to go to downstate. i just withdrew by email. good luck to you all

Just wondering ... for those that attended second look .. how did it go?

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
the food was delicious!

the accepted students were kind of quiet, but I definitely met some people whom I would love to be my classmates. Again, I beg for the withdrawals if you're in love with another school or just can't make it to Upstate. :D

cappymo said:
I had a really great time... In fact, it was the deciding factor that finally solidified me on attending Upstate. So to everyone going--- See ya in August!
oh wow .. wish I could have been there too .... :(

anyone know when the first installment of tuition is due by?

DubZteR said:
Just wondering ... for those that attended second look .. how did it go?

It was fun. It made me really wish I was doing Summer Anatomy. I can't wait to start school! Yup, that's me, powerdork. I'm glad you're coming, Cappymo. See you in 3 months!

bump - any news for the waitlisters?

Yah, I know last year's thread said waitlist doesn't move until June, but maybe someone has an inside scoop....

jclarke said:
bump - any news for the waitlisters?

Yah, I know last year's thread said waitlist doesn't move until June, but maybe someone has an inside scoop....
Hang in there .... the list should start to move now that the May 15th deadline has passed :)

hey everyone- just got a call this afternoon off the waitlist!!!! :) still need to discuss with my husband, but syracuse university was his first choice for architecture school, so we may very well be in syracuse this august! good luck to everyone else. :luck: :D :luck:

2009doc said:
hey everyone- just got a call this afternoon off the waitlist!!!! :) still need to discuss with my husband, but syracuse university was his first choice for architecture school, so we may very well be in syracuse this august! good luck to everyone else. :luck: :D :luck:
Well done! Hope to see you in August.

Scottish Chap said:
Well done! Hope to see you in August.

thanks. reading these threads and everyone's excitement and general positive attitude about upstate makes syracuse very appealing... :love:

2009doc said:
Congrats !!!!!!!!

Happy to hear the waitlist is moving!

Hey y'all..
Got the acceptance call off the HPA list on May 17th!! :D :D :D :laugh:
List is definitely moving and I think it is moving fast or, at least, at a good pace. If you are on the HPA list you got a very good chance! Good luck all and I look forward to meeting many of you at orientation. Anybody thinking of getting off-campus (non-dorm) housing. Need a roommate?!

Me too me too me too!!! I'm in at the Binghamption campus, my first choice!

YAY! I'm going to be a doctor! :D

Good luck to everyone waiting, I hope you get the call soon!

jclarke said:

i'm so happy for you! that's fantastic, hope i'll see you in august too! congrats!!!

jclarke said:

that's just awesome !!

Congrats :)

Hey, just thought I'd let you all know I just withdrew my acceptance.
-good luck

Skiam said:
Hey, just thought I'd let you all know I just withdrew my acceptance.
-good luck

syracuse or binghampton? i gave up a binghampton spot, but am waiting anxiously for a syracuse spot... thanks!

good luck!

Anyone taking summer anatomy in Syracuse yet? I've been here a week and love it so far :D

Hi Everyone,

I just got accepted off of the HPL today into the Binghamton campus. I'm still making my decision..but I think I'm leaning towards Upstate :)

alfie110 said:
Hi Everyone,

I just got accepted off of the HPL today into the Binghamton campus. I'm still making my decision..but I think I'm leaning towards Upstate :)

I got accepted off the HPL today too, Have to call them back tomorrow. Anyone deciding between Upstate and another school? I have an acceptance to NYMC and dont know yet which I would pick. How long do we have to decide?

Has anyone on the HPL waitlist heard anything from Upstate lately?

Yes, I talked to the secretery yesterday. She said that Mrs. Welch was out until Friday. She added that the Syracuse campus WL is moving 'very slowly' and that most offers currently being made are for the Binghamton campus.

What are fellow High Priority candidates doing about tentative housing plans? Thanks.

Has anyone who isn't doing Summer Anatomy heard back from Clark Tower about housing?

Hi guys!

Maybe the last guy who should be posting here, but I gave up a spot at Upstate, so I'm at least helping out, right? :)

Just wanted to say congrats to all. I ended up opting out of Upstate SOLELY due to money, but I think that it's a great place.

I work at one of the Binghamton (no "p") teaching hospitals as an occupational therapist. I constantly harass the SUNY Upstate students about their choices, and they have - as a rule - all enjoyed their choice to come down here. Great cost of living, warmer and less snow that Syracuse (albeit quite a bit more boring), and still great learning experiences. You'll be one on one with attendings, and, in my biased opinion, there are some tremendous physicians down here. One of our path guys was on "Cold Case" (or one of those shows) doing his forensic gig, the ortho and neurosurg guys are doing the flexible artifical disc replacements, heart guys are doing (by their report) 90% of the CABG cases off pump, etc. And there are no residents to fight through. And the grades tend to be fairly good. You, admittedly, will not see the GSW car driver that caught on fire, because we send those up to Syracuse, but you'll still get a great experience.

Enjoy things. Good luck. And best wishes!

dc

Hey Folks,

My question is for those who are familiar with the Syracuse area. I'm starting my hunt for housing and was wondering if there were any particular streets or areas that I should avoid?

Look forward to meeting all of you soon, :)

I would stay clear of the South Salina area, and Fayette St tends to have some crime issues. Check out orangehousing.com for reasonable student housing. Also check out the real estate section of syracuse.com. I guess it also depends on how much travel time you're willing to deal with. If you don't mind a 10-20 minute commute, you can head out towards Liverpool, Fayetteville, Manlius, Baldwinsville or any of the other suburbs for even cheaper housing. Good luck and hope to see some of you guys, and ladies, this fall.
DubZteR said:
Hey Folks,

My question is for those who are familiar with the Syracuse area. I'm starting my hunt for housing and was wondering if there were any particular streets or areas that I should avoid?

Look forward to meeting all of you soon, :)

DrKram20 said:
I would stay clear of the South Salina area, and Fayette St tends to have some crime issues. Check out orangehousing.com for reasonable student housing. Also check out the real estate section of syracuse.com. I guess it also depends on how much travel time you're willing to deal with. If you don't mind a 10-20 minute commute, you can head out towards Liverpool, Fayetteville, Manlius, Baldwinsville or any of the other suburbs for even cheaper housing. Good luck and hope to see some of you guys, and ladies, this fall.
Thanks for the pointers Dr. Kram!

On a side note ... does anyone know why this and other entering class of 2009 threads were moved into the allo forum whereas others were still left in the pre-allo?

anyone know what sort of things happen during orientation week besides the white coat ceremony?

DrKram20 said:
Hey I just checked my map and it looks like "Fayette St" is a pretty long street. Should I stay clear of the whole street or just certain parts .. (ie. Fayette and xyz) I'm going to be new to the area so can someone please tell me which streets would corespond to the South Salina area?

Thanks,

DubZteR said:
Hey I just checked my map and it looks like "Fayette St" is a pretty long street. Should I stay clear of the whole street or just certain parts .. (ie. Fayette and xyz) I'm going to be new to the area so can someone please tell me which streets would corespond to the South Salina area?

Thanks,
nevermind ... got it all figured out :)

I got accepted off HPA on wednesday & i am sooo psyched to be at Upstate soon. Just wanted to say hello to all!

I'll probably be going up to syracuse soon to look for an apartment...anyone willing to room with a female smoker (who is more than happy to smoke outside)? very clean, considerate, no pets (i'm allergic to furry things)

of course, think i should give up smoking (again) given upstate's new policy :eek:

Hey all.

I was planning on getting my own place (housing is pretty cheap and it seems to be in abundance)... I'm having this dilemma with where to live though--inside the city or the 'burbs.

Can anyone tell me what the traffic is like when trying to commute into/out of the city on I-81 or the other highways? Is the snow bad enough that a commute would be a HUGE hassle? Are the med student parking spaces covered (i.e., garage next door) or in some parking lot 4 blocks away from the hospital?

Thanks for any and all info--see you all in August. :)

I'm not sure exactlyl but I heard there was a student lot a few blocks away but there's also the parking garage at about 40/month for the winter months that's a block away from school.

And the two times I was in Syracuse, both the weekend and weekday, traffic seemed to be minimal, at least coming from NYC.

Bump on the highways questions, although I do remember it started snowing really hard during my interviews but the roads were clear by the time it I had to go to the airport.

Thanks, JClarke!

I don't remember traffic being bad either, though I didn't see it at rush hour. Just wanted to get a feel for it. Thanks for the info. I think commuter-type living is a little better for me. That way I can hit the library after classes for a bit, and the day ends when I decide to stop studying. ;) I hate when work routinely follows me home and works its way onto notecards and post-its that haunt me in my place of sleep.

I live by Upstate...the traffic isn't bad except that they are going to be doing some moderate construction soon at the Crouse Hospital garage on Irving street plus the building of the Children's Hospital on Adams Street. Things could get a little backed up coming off the highway because of that.

Does anyone know if there is a specific color of scrubs we should buy? There are some cheap ones available online but I dont want to get blue when everyone else buys the green. Also what else should we start buying for Syracuse specifically?