OFFICIAL: SUNY - UPSTATE Class of 2009 Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

I am currently in the

• Accepted Category

Votes: 42 51.9%
  • High Priority Waitlist Category

Votes: 28 34.6%
  • Regular Wailist Category

Votes: 11 13.6%

• Total voters
when is everyone moving there? and where is everyone living??

Members don't see this ad.

from Upstate before buying anything; lol i figured they'd send us some kind of School Supplies list like in elementary school? :laugh:

There's a forum for upstate students on their website, and a 2nd year, I think, Ben, or maybe someone else entirely , said that there would be plenty of time to shop during orientation. Hmm, if we're trying to take advantage of any sales on line, I guess that leaves only a little time to order and hope for delivery before classes begin.

Anyway, you might want to try posting questions over there also. it seems like upperclass-people are visiting that forum whereas this thread may get lost in the shuffle.

I signed an early lease starting July 1 - and will be coming up periodically in July and August to move stuff, but i won't be in Syracuse for good until August 20th. I'm crossing the days off my calendar!

I'm renting a 1 BR about five minutes from campus on I-81, near Carousel Center, for $435/month without utilities. I've heard average utilities run a little less than $100 for a 1BR, anyone know here?

jclarke said:
from Upstate before buying anything; lol i figured they'd send us some kind of School Supplies list like in elementary school? :laugh:

There's a forum for upstate students on their website, and a 2nd year, I think, Ben, or maybe someone else entirely , said that there would be plenty of time to shop during orientation. Hmm, if we're trying to take advantage of any sales on line, I guess that leaves only a little time to order and hope for delivery before classes begin.

Anyway, you might want to try posting questions over there also. it seems like upperclass-people are visiting that forum whereas this thread may get lost in the shuffle.

I signed an early lease starting July 1 - and will be coming up periodically in July and August to move stuff, but i won't be in Syracuse for good until August 20th. I'm crossing the days off my calendar!

I'm renting a 1 BR about five minutes from campus on I-81, near Carousel Center, for $435/month without utilities. I've heard average utilities run a little less than $100 for a 1BR, anyone know here?

do u have a link to that forum?

Members don't see this ad :)
I got a Welch Allyn Panoptic Diagnostic set for $150! It's not the brand new Macroview otoscope - it's the basic otoscope with the panoptic opthalmoscope, it's sooooo cooooool. my husband and i were looking at each other's ears and eyes.

Anyway, I got the set from a first year resident at a local hospital in NYC who advertised it on craigslist.org. He had bought the set at his school's insistence as a first year, ended up using it five times and he figured he should sell it before it got too old.

Anyway, I wanted to tell everyone to check your local craigslist, especially the cities with medical schools! I hope everyone finds a kickass deal!

I got my room assignment today, decided to try out the dorms since I dont know anyone to get off campus housing with. Is anyone else going to live in Clark Tower? I read their restrictions and was wondering if anyone really follows them? No microwave or fridges? In undergrad dorms we pretty much got away with those things. Does anyone know? :confused:

Crasavitsa said:
I got my room assignment today, decided to try out the dorms since I dont know anyone to get off campus housing with. Is anyone else going to live in Clark Tower? I read their restrictions and was wondering if anyone really follows them? No microwave or fridges? In undergrad dorms we pretty much got away with those things. Does anyone know? :confused:
yah i read those restrictions and that was one of the deciding factors that turned me away from living in Clarke (that and expensive rent!!!).

For those of you in syracuse, how's the housing situation looking?

I'm heading down to syracuse this weekend for a week to hopefully find a place to live for this fall :)

I found a pretty neat place in Manlius. I hope the "commute" isn't too bad in the mornings.

I would really recommend this company called "Longley Jones Management Corp."; they have a whole lot of properties and the rents range from 350 (utils inc.) for a studio to 500 (+utils) for nice 1 bedrooms in the nicer suburbs. Obviously, they have properties with 2/3 bedrooms, but I didn't look at those. I think I found their properties on syracuse.com. They have a separate website, too; just do a search for their name. I wound up getting in touch somehow with their lead agent or manager, this guy Chris Payrot, and he spent about 3 hours with me on a Saturday, just driving me around and showing me various places. Very respectful and considerate; I didn't get charged a fee, either (I think that may be their company policy--no fees--but ask 'em).

Good luck to everybody trying to find housing!

Hi all!

I've read through this suny upstate class of 2009 thread and you all seem to be a very happy and optimistic bunch!

I was just offered a spot for binghamton off of the high priority list on 7/5. I declined binghamton and am waiting for a syracuse slot, which the admissions officer said I would "probably be called back". I was planning to attend downstate, but my strong first impression during the interview at syracuse is really making me think long and hard. My gut instinct at syracuse is that being a student here would definately have better quality of life aspects that are better than downstate, such as safety, very happy students, tests of fridays to enjoy the weekend off, etc.

As I'm always thinking of the next step I was wondering if anyone knows which school is better in terms of getting into competitive residency programs? Or any other advantages/disadvantages? (I've read the great reply from scottish chap and others)

Thanks for any insights you can provide!

cbcgingko

cbcgingko said:
Hi all!

I've read through this suny upstate class of 2009 thread and you all seem to be a very happy and optimistic bunch!

I was just offered a spot for binghamton off of the high priority list on 7/5. I declined binghamton and am waiting for a syracuse slot, which the admissions officer said I would "probably be called back". I was planning to attend downstate, but my strong first impression during the interview at syracuse is really making me think long and hard. My gut instinct at syracuse is that being a student here would definately have better quality of life aspects that are better than downstate, such as safety, very happy students, tests of fridays to enjoy the weekend off, etc.

As I'm always thinking of the next step I was wondering if anyone knows which school is better in terms of getting into competitive residency programs? Or any other advantages/disadvantages? (I've read the great reply from scottish chap and others)

Thanks for any insights you can provide!

cbcgingko

I'm a third year at Upstate, its not uncommon at all for students to switch from a Binghamton assignment to a Syracuse one. You get two years to find someone to switch off with. More importantly though, students who do their clerkships at the Binghamton campus seem more satisfied with their experiences than at Syracuse. They really do mean it when they say Binghamton gives you more one on one learning with the attendings.

R-Med is another option to consider too if you want an even more personal learning experience during your third and fourth year, and it doesn't matter if you're Syracuse or Binghamton to do R-Med. The responses the school gets from students in the R-Med program have been overwhelmingly positive, they pay for your housing costs too if you do R-Med. The match by percentage of R-Med/Binghamton Students during specialties versus primary care mirrors that of the Syracuse students.

For the fellow with the dilemma (upstate/downstate):

I can understand your issue--especially if you're looking to pursue a competitive residency/fellowship, and/or you're really looking forward to the diversity and volume of city patient populations (NYC would be great).

One of the reasons I wanted to come to Upstate is that it's the only teaching medical center in the city--it's not overshadowed by any other med schools, it offers a wide range of clinical options (Bing, Syr, RMED), and it provides a full range of services to the people of Syracuse.

I grew up in NYC, and I never felt that connected to it. It's nice to go there; I guess it's home and all, but honestly, as a young person living in Worcester, MA and New Haven, CT (smaller cities I've been in for about a year or two), I've developed more of a connection to these new places than NYC. They're smaller, more manageable for me, and a little lower-profile. The finger lakes region (Syracuse/Rochester and in between) is beautiful--and I love that you can drive for 10 minutes in any direction outside of Syracuse and be in the *country*.

For me, the anonymity of NYC bothers me, and I wanted to come to school in a place where I would feel a real connection with the people and the town itself. The population of Syracuse seems to need good medical care. I thought it would be fulfilling to learn medicine in a place like that.

Good luck with your decision! :)

Thanks NNguyenMD and rpkall,

I think what rpkall said is true about being a happier student in a smaller town where upstate is the only hospital around. I definately agree this learning environnment is more ideal. However, I'm always thinking of the next step and I want to know if people match better in competitive residencies, for example, ER, which is something I'm considering (ER and oncology are the only area's I have experience in). I know I might change my mind and don't want to limit myself to ER, but I'd like to know other benefits asides from the ideal learning environment.

NNguyenMD, I totally believe in building better relationships with doctor's and patients, but I'm sort of the person who likes to be on my feet all the time! I actually graduating from Bing in 2000, so I know how the town is.

Thanks again for your imputs!! I really sense a great collaborative spirit for this upstate class!
joyce

Members don't see this ad :)
rpkall said:
I found a pretty neat place in Manlius. I hope the "commute" isn't too bad in the mornings.

I would really recommend this company called "Longley Jones Management Corp."; they have a whole lot of properties and the rents range from 350 (utils inc.) for a studio to 500 (+utils) for nice 1 bedrooms in the nicer suburbs. Obviously, they have properties with 2/3 bedrooms, but I didn't look at those. I think I found their properties on syracuse.com. They have a separate website, too; just do a search for their name. I wound up getting in touch somehow with their lead agent or manager, this guy Chris Payrot, and he spent about 3 hours with me on a Saturday, just driving me around and showing me various places. Very respectful and considerate; I didn't get charged a fee, either (I think that may be their company policy--no fees--but ask 'em).

Good luck to everybody trying to find housing!
Hey!

I took your advice and looked them up so I'm going to have a peek a some of their properties next week. Out of curiosity, did you happen to look at 105 Smith Lane? If so how were the units like?

Nope--he drove me out to Manlius and I kind of fell in love with a 1-br half-a-cottage thingy.

If you wind up with Chris, he seems very honest about the info and the properties. I told him that a "good neighborhood" was paramount for me, and I didn't mind a 20/25 min commute, and he made a mental list of all the places that fit the bill. Manlius was our first stop--Academy Place Apts--and I wound up taking one.

Good luck to you!! See you in August!

Is anyone else a Health-Forms Slacker? I guess those were due on July 1st... ;)

rpkall said:

no, but i think i still need to have my transcripts sent

Ha ha! I knew it!

Thanks for playing along, anyway. ;)

anyone getting nervous about school? I am a little bit, plus I still haven't ordered my gear or looked into buying books or anything. We only have about 6 weeks left!!! Getting excited too.

DubZteR said:
Hey Everyone,

I think this thread will be very helpful to others like myself who are trying to figure out how much of the class of 2009 has filled up. Please participate if you can.

It seems there are a lot of people high priority waitlisted.. any news on movement now in mid-July or does it seem the class is done being filled?

rpkall said:
Nope--he drove me out to Manlius and I kind of fell in love with a 1-br half-a-cottage thingy.

If you wind up with Chris, he seems very honest about the info and the properties. I told him that a "good neighborhood" was paramount for me, and I didn't mind a 20/25 min commute, and he made a mental list of all the places that fit the bill. Manlius was our first stop--Academy Place Apts--and I wound up taking one.

Good luck to you!! See you in August!
Hey !

I just got back from spending a few days in Syracuse and I am sooo relieved to have finally found a place !!!!!!! I'm gonna be living on Harrison St. in the Townsend Apt. near Madison and Jefferson Towers. If anyone else is still looking for accomodations, let me know and I can give you the building contact info cuz there are still some 1 bedrooms available. My apt is a 1 bedroom on the 19th floor with a gorgeous view and the rent is only $ 413 / month and includes all ultilities.

Good Luck Folks !!

rpkall said:
count me in !!!

In the orientation booklet it says that they're due by the 1st :rolleyes: :rolleyes: but if you look at some of the actual forms it says to return them at least 15 days before classes.

I'm gonna try to get mine in this week :).

futureMD09 said:
anyone getting nervous about school? I am a little bit, plus I still haven't ordered my gear or looked into buying books or anything. We only have about 6 weeks left!!! Getting excited too.

Hell yeah, I'm nervous! I feel like I need to lose 20 lbs before "groping lab" (POM). :laugh: AND, I'm a little nervous about that biochem class we start out with. *shudder* I think if I can get through that, I can get through anything. I need to find some less "premed/cutthroat" peeps and get some decent study groups going, I think. ;)

is anyone else out there struggling with the roommate/no-roommate dilemma?

I'm agonizing over keeping a nice 1 BR apartment or sharing with a stranger and saving $$. The potential roomie just graduated from law school and will be in syracuse doing a clerkship, and she seems pretty cool, but that's just judging from one phone conversation.

I had a roommate before who was really sweet. We got along really well for about a year and became friends. UNTIL she became a born-again christian. Now generally I am super tolerant of other people's religious & political beliefs. but she told me i must PRAY. and take jesus into my heart. fine, fine, fine i said. And then she told me that I was a ***** because I told a male friend that he should crash on my couch instead of driving home drunk. :confused:

To make a long story short my sweet roommate became completely psycho, and I spent a lot of money, time and energy breaking a lease and finding a new apt quick. it was right before the mcat too. I'm terrified of this happening while in school, but i also don't want to spend the whole time worrying about $.

Any ideas/advice/roommate horror stories out there?

oh, and count me in on the non-cutthroat study group! hello laid-back people! if you see a half-asian girl with a lip-ring, invite her to study with you :)

futureMD09 said:
same here. haven't bought any books etc and I'm going to wait until classes start just to make sure that we actually need the books. Can't believe half of july is gone already!

Simonster said:
is anyone else out there struggling with the roommate/no-roommate dilemma?

I'm agonizing over keeping a nice 1 BR apartment or sharing with a stranger and saving $$. The potential roomie just graduated from law school and will be in syracuse doing a clerkship, and she seems pretty cool, but that's just judging from one phone conversation.

I had a roommate before who was really sweet. We got along really well for about a year and became friends. UNTIL she became a born-again christian. Now generally I am super tolerant of other people's religious & political beliefs. but she told me i must PRAY. and take jesus into my heart. fine, fine, fine i said. And then she told me that I was a ***** because I told a male friend that he should crash on my couch instead of driving home drunk. :confused:

To make a long story short my sweet roommate became completely psycho, and I spent a lot of money, time and energy breaking a lease and finding a new apt quick. it was right before the mcat too. I'm terrified of this happening while in school, but i also don't want to spend the whole time worrying about $.

Any ideas/advice/roommate horror stories out there?

oh, and count me in on the non-cutthroat study group! hello laid-back people! if you see a half-asian girl with a lip-ring, invite her to study with you :)
I was in the same situation and decided to get my own place. I'm going to be paying 413 a month includes all utilities. I think they still have units available so let me know if you want?

Good Luck!

Just wondering if anyone going into our class is going to be as single as I am!!!

Crasavitsa said:
Does anyone know if there is a specific color of scrubs we should buy? There are some cheap ones available online but I dont want to get blue when everyone else buys the green. Also what else should we start buying for Syracuse specifically?

Sorry this is so late (been busy with class), but if you're still interested, you can buy any color scrubs for anatomy. I have lots of different colors (taking summer anatomy) and so do many of my classmates. I got mine for $10/set at www.allheart.com

Darth Asclepius--

How was that summer anatomy program? Was it worth the time spent to get a jump on all that material? What are you going to do with all your time off this fall--research, TA, etc?

Good luck to ya. :)

is everyone getting the health insurance through the school? It seems kind of pricey

just thought i'd stop in and say hello... i'm class of 2006 and interviewing in early september (the first day of interviews! :eek: ) if anyone has advice, suggestions, i'd love to hear them! thanks and good luck with classes!

LT2 said:
just thought i'd stop in and say hello... i'm class of 2006 and interviewing in early september (the first day of interviews! :eek: ) if anyone has advice, suggestions, i'd love to hear them! thanks and good luck with classes!
upstate interviews are very relaxed and low stress !!!

if you have any questions feel free to drop me a line :)

G'luck ;)