Official Tired of Waiting for Secondaries

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

spanamit

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Tired of waiting for secondaries? Checking your inbox multiple times a day?

Join the club.

Seriously, why can't all schools just post their secondaries already?

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
I don't think you even realize that most people won't be done with this process until May if they get in. You're gonna be in it for the long haul pal.

this is just the beginning.
waiting for secondaries <<<<waiting for interviews<<<waiting for decision<<<<waiting to get off waitlist!

How is it possible that I got a "screened" secondary invite in my email today when my application hasnt even been verified yet? Im still waiting on transcript to come in. I submitted it yesterday and BAM! wtf?

waiting for secondaries <<<<waiting for interviews<<<waiting for decision<<<<waiting to get off waitlist!

Hell for some, it's that x2 or 3...or more.

well, of course i realize the process is long, but i just hate writing essays and want that to be over.

Actually, I'd rather write 200 essays than have to retake the MCAT (score released on July 18th), but I'm with you. I want to get all of these secondaries over with so I can feel that I've done all I can for the app process and just manically check for invites or rejections. I know closure is far away, but I'll feel like I'm finally on that path once I'm complete at schools. Then, it's out of my hands, so to speak.

Bummed I haven't gotten any secondaries since Monday.

I want to get all of these secondaries over with so I can feel that I've done all I can for the app process and just manically check for invites or rejections. I know closure is far away, but I'll feel like I'm finally on that path once I'm complete at schools. Then, it's out of my hands, so to speak.

I second that.

Actually, I'd rather write 200 essays than have to retake the MCAT (score released on July 18th)

Amen to that! I'm getting my score tomorrow, and I'd rather gouge out my eyes with dull instruments than go through that again.

Members don't see this ad :)
yes to checking your inbox multiple..multiple times a day. especially at an office job with readily available internet!!!

Join the club.

I dread secondaries....if they aren't in my inbox I can't flog myself for procrastinating on them. As long as they don't send them...it's out of my hands.

just wait until you get tired of writing and submitting them!! then tired of waiting for invites, and then finally, tired of waiting for decisions after invites... you have sooo much to look forward to : )

Actually, I'd rather write 200 essays than have to retake the MCAT (score released on July 18th), but I'm with you. I want to get all of these secondaries over with so I can feel that I've done all I can for the app process and just manically check for invites or rejections. I know closure is far away, but I'll feel like I'm finally on that path once I'm complete at schools. Then, it's out of my hands, so to speak.

Bummed I haven't gotten any secondaries since Monday.
I would much rather retake the MCAT; I'm so sick of these essays. I've really started to get apathetic towards them...after three years I'm tired of writing stodgy little excerpts about my life. This year I'm turning it into more of a creative writing exercise. They might not address the topic in the most efficient way, but I guarantee you they're interesting to read >).

I would much rather retake the MCAT; I'm so sick of these essays. I've really started to get apathetic towards them...after three years I'm tired of writing stodgy little excerpts about my life. This year I'm turning it into more of a creative writing exercise. They might not address the topic in the most efficient way, but I guarantee you they're interesting to read >).

I'm still trying to rack my brains to come up with the little excerpts about my life. I'm dreading interviews if they ask questions that require this much thought... Good thing this is to a school I'm only mildly interested in.

Join the club.

I definitely check my inbox multiple times a day. Not that 20 minutes is going to make a difference. Honestly though, as much as I want to get the secondaries and do them already, I like having them spaced out. It gives me a couple days to work on each application without feeling like I'm drowning in paperwork. I applied to a lot of schools, so if I got them all at once, I'd probably completely freak out.

I'm still trying to rack my brains to come up with the little excerpts about my life. I'm dreading interviews if they ask questions that require this much thought... Good thing this is to a school I'm only mildly interested in.
Definitely ask yourself the hard questions about your life when you prepare for interviews. Don't go in without having at least 3 strengths/weaknesses, an ethical issue you've faced (anticipate a critical counter-argument), and solid answers to all the questions that have been asked before at that school (available through the interview feedback section).

Definitely ask yourself the hard questions about your life when you prepare for interviews. Don't go in without having at least 3 strengths/weaknesses, an ethical issue you've faced (anticipate a critical counter-argument), and solid answers to all the questions that have been asked before at that school (available through the interview feedback section).

Oh yeah, I plan to spend lots of time prepping for interviews. Probably join up with some people from my school also applying once school starts up again. And, of course, I'll have to write it all down and study it as I'm walking into the interview that morning, cause I can totally see myself just freezing up.

Can you explain the 'critical counter-argument' part? And I assume the ethical issue shouldn't revolve around academics, right?

Oh yeah, I plan to spend lots of time prepping for interviews. Probably join up with some people from my school also applying once school starts up again. And, of course, I'll have to write it all down and study it as I'm walking into the interview that morning, cause I can totally see myself just freezing up.

Can you explain the 'critical counter-argument' part? And I assume the ethical issue shouldn't revolve around academics, right?
Interviews are not usually combative, but if you present your opinion or actions on an ethical situation you should be prepared for the interviewer to challenge you on it. For instance, if a good friend offered to let you in on an academic cheating situation and you declined...that's not the only ethical issue; why didn't you turn him in? If you did turn him in, how do you justify breaking his trust- he only told you because he was trying to help you. Another example- a common hypothetical ethical question is a child who will die without a blood transfusion, but parents who are Jehovah's witness's and won't allow it. Assuming you could get a court to force the transfusion, what will you do? If you do it, the counter argument is how you can justify completely neglecting their beliefs and sentencing the child's soul to eternal damnation? If you don't do it then you've failed to act in your patient's best interest medically speaking (and you are a medical doctor, after all)? All I'm saying is watch out for both sides, and sub-issues if applicable.

The Pitt secondary is the only time I've been requested to present a specifically non-cheating ethical issue. I would say it depends; I have a really interesting story on that topic, so I'm inclined to use it. Just make sure you have something to say.

I am feeling the boredom set in waiting for the stupid secondaries.

My summer job is also boring.

Join the club.

Tired of waiting for secondaries? :confused: I'm tried of receiving them!

Is there any way to find out which schools have released secondaries already? I had my amcas submitted and varified by June 10th and I've only received 5 out of 14 secondaries. I'm starting to freak out, someone please help!

Just wait... if it's anything like last year you'll be waiting until late August/September to get some.

The waiting for a decision is rough, especially if you interview early at a non-rolling school. I honestly could have popped out a child in the time between submitting my application and getting my decision from some of those schools.

yes, some schools don't even release secondaries until august, or so i heard

Now that's just painful.

Seconded. I was still getting snail mail secondaries into september last year. And you think waiting for secondaries is bad... waiting after interviews is worse. It can be 4 weeks or 4 months before you hear even the first verdict.