OFFICIAL: U-Miami Class of 2008

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mseider

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys! I just wanted to start this much needed thread so we can consolidate information about Miami and, perhaps, get to know a little bit about each other!

First question: Does UM have a white coat ceremony or the equivalent? If so, when is it?

Members don't see this ad.

No white coat ceremony.... they have a pinning ceremony instead. Not sure of the date, though

I called Admissions today. The "pinning" ceremony is actually not until after the first term, in Janurary. We don't have any initiation ceremony...

Do I care?:(

Members don't see this ad :)
no white coat ceremony? that sucks - i already told my parents to keep the beginning of august open :(

does anyone know when they will tell us for sure which campus we'll be on?

Do you guys know when school starts? Also, I heard some schools do not have their white coat ceremony until their second year before they begin their clinical rotations, or something like that.

I was told it begins the 1st week of August, but no date has yet been finalized.

By the way, where are you guys living next year? I have been looking into Jackson and Dominion Towers. Does anybody know if those are a good deal, and which one is better?

This is last year's calendar for first years:

Orientation Thru.-Fri., Aug. 7-8
Registration Fri., Aug. 8
Classes Begin Mon., Aug. 11
Labor Day Mon., Sept. 1
Thanksgiving Nov. 27 - Nov. 30
Classes Resume Mon., Dec. 1
Winter Break Dec. 20 - Jan. 4

Classes Resume Mon., Jan. 5
Martin Luther King Day Mon., Jan.19
President?s Day Mon., Feb. 16
Spring Break March 20-28
Classes Resume Mon., Mar. 29
Memorial Day Mon., May 31
Competency Assessment June 1-4
Make-up week June 7-11

Since my parents live in south Miami, I'm thinking of renting an apt. on North Kendall Drive (SW 88th street) close to the Dadeland Metrorail Station. This way, I could avoid rush hour traffic every morning.

Apartments in this area are not too expensive... a 3-bedroom unit runs about $1150 at some complexes. Also great location.

If anyone is interested in sharing a 3-bedroom (between 2 or 3 ppl), let me know!

By the way, where are you guys living next year? I have been looking into Jackson and Dominion Towers. Does anybody know if those are a good deal, and which one is better?

I haven't looked at Jackson Towers, but Dominion apparently has a wait list of over a year. Going to check the bulletin boards and see if I can find someone looking for a roommate.

Anyone (preferably male) want to share a 3-bedroom, 2.5 bathroom apt. by Dadeland Mall/Metrorail station? On the corner of SW 67th ave. and 88th St.

Rent is $1200/month

My parents looked at it today, and said the bedrooms (upstairs) were spacious.

It will be available starting mid May, but I ask now because there are others interested in the apt. too.

I'm looking for a roomate (preferably female), also UM Class of 2008, interested in living on South Beach or Brickell Ave... Anyone looking for the same?