***Official UMDNJ/NJDS Acceptance Thread***

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
What am I expected to do about getting the Disciplinary Action Form done for schools that i am not currently attending? Should I just overnight mail copies of the form from the acceptance package to them, and then instruct them to overnight it to UMDNJ?
Anybody have input here? :)

Members don't see this ad.

Hey everybody!

So, I got into a bunch of places and my top choices right now are UConn and UMDNJ. Now, I'm reading alot of negative things from current/former students about UConn on SDN... but they also have some big positives (2 years med school, P/F cirriculum, can get in-state tuition in year 2, high specialty placement).

On the other hand, UMDNJ was super friendly on my interview visit, which was awesome!:) Anyone have any opinions on this one? Where should I go? (Also got in Maryland, but got weird vibes at my interview, Penn, but can't justify paying the price, and Pitt, but it's a little pricey as well)

PM me if you like too so that I don't turn this thread into another one of "those" discussions... CONGRATS everyone!

What am I expected to do about getting the Disciplinary Action Form done for schools that i am not currently attending? Should I just overnight mail copies of the form from the acceptance package to them, and then instruct them to overnight it to UMDNJ?

Call your school Monday morning and speak to the secretary or better Dean at the Dean's office or wherever it has to go, explain your situation. I'm assuming your school is far away since you're thinking of overnighting the letter, but I would probably do the same thing. Though I doubt your college will overnight it to UMDNJ but maybe they might. IMO, 10 business days isn't really all that much time, wish they had given us more.

Members don't see this ad :)
Call your school Monday morning and speak to the secretary or better Dean at the Dean's office or wherever it has to go, explain your situation. I'm assuming your school is far away since you're thinking of overnighting the letter, but I would probably do the same thing. Though I doubt your college will overnight it to UMDNJ but maybe they might. IMO, 10 business days isn't really all that much time, wish they had given us more.

Yeah DEFINITELY should be given more time haha, but obviously that's not an option. The background check forms have to be in that same time too I believe, yes?

I thought of calling the Dean(s) and asking them what I should do about that. The schools really are not that far away, but there are more than one, I can't really just run around to all my schools looking for offices and what not. It needs to be done through the mail. You think I should just ask the Deans what to do about it -- if they think I should overnight it to them or what? I thought maybe I would ask if they could overnight it and tell me how much it would cost, so I could include that money in the form. Good idea?

Yup the background check goes with your deposit and that other page you have to sign. Straight up call them and ask-they will know better than me since they probably do this all the time. How does the mail work at your college? Does it go through a central processing unit and then get sorted out, because then your overnight could take an additional 1-2days. Including the overnight fee is a good idea, just ask them first though.

Yup the background check goes with your deposit and that other page you have to sign. Straight up call them and ask-they will know better than me since they probably do this all the time. How does the mail work at your college? Does it go through a central processing unit and then get sorted out, because then your overnight could take an additional 1-2days. Including the overnight fee is a good idea, just ask them first though.

Yeah you mean call the Dean of the colleges though, not of UMDNJ right? I don't see what UMDNJ could help in the process, but just clarifying...

sorry i should have been more clear, i do mean the dean of the colleges. UMDNJ will just tell u to get the form in 10 b-days haha

in with $7500

I am really confused about the disciplinary form that has to be filled out..I have attended 3 undergrad schools (2 of them just summer classes)..Do I fill out part 1 and send it to UMDNJ with all the other forms or do I personally have to go to all the schools and have them send them out within 10 business days? The schools are not in the same place, how would I send it all together? Anyone else confused?

I am really confused about the disciplinary form that has to be filled out..I have attended 3 undergrad schools (2 of them just summer classes)..Do I fill out part 1 and send it to UMDNJ with all the other forms or do I personally have to go to all the schools and have them send them out within 10 business days? The schools are not in the same place, how would I send it all together? Anyone else confused?

I have a similar issue. I have 2 schools which I took only one class at each, and I have a semester at another school. So essentially, I "have attended" 4 different schools. I think (someone please confirm this since I need to know also) that you have to either go to the schools, or send, a separate copy of the form w/ part 1 filled to, to each school individually, and have them each send their copy to UMDNJ. So in my case, I was going to make 3 more copies of the Disciplinary Action Form and send one copy to each school.

The problem I will have is making sure they all get there within 10 business days, which will be no easy task. My plan is to call each school tomorrow and ask them if, when they receive it, they will be able to overnight or 2-3 day mail it to UMNDJ. I will suggest that if there is a fee to just let me know what it is on the phone and I will enclose cash/check for that amount with the form. As long as that is all confirmed, I will overnight ship the forms to each school. Probably gonna waste a lot of money unnecessarily, but I guess you gotta do what you gotta do here.

I haven't gotten the acceptance thing in the mail yet because I moved and it hasnt been forwarded to my new address yet... what is this thing we have to do in ten days??!!! I called the school and gave them my new address but now im freaking out... if i can't get it in in ten days does that mean i can't go there??

I haven't gotten the acceptance thing in the mail yet because I moved and it hasnt been forwarded to my new address yet... what is this thing we have to do in ten days??!!! I called the school and gave them my new address but now im freaking out... if i can't get it in in ten days does that mean i can't go there??
I really was wondering myself what happens if someone doesn't complete it in 10 days. I mean, I guess they could take whatever action they deem necessary, but I find it hard to believe they would rescind your acceptance based on something like that...I don't know.

Members don't see this ad :)
So I just called the office and there's a misprint on the acceptance form. You have until January 15th to get the Disciplinary Action Disclosure Form in. She said she'll probably be sending out a mass email to let everyone know.

That said, she did mention that the deposit and background check are due as soon as possible and within 10 days.

hey thanks for finding out! phew, what a relief. I'm going to be mailing out my deposit and criminal background stuff out today.

So I just called the office and there's a misprint on the acceptance form. You have until January 15th to get the Disciplinary Action Disclosure Form in. She said she'll probably be sending out a mass email to let everyone know.

That said, she did mention that the deposit and background check are due as soon as possible and within 10 days.

Really? She said the deposit was due within 10 days, or that they preferred for it to be received within 10 days? What's the point of the January 15th deadline then, lol.

I spoke to them and she said that to only do the disciplinary form for the school that you are graduating from. If you have taken one or two classes you do not have to do that for those universities.

I spoke to them and she said that to only do the disciplinary form for the school that you are graduating from. If you have taken one or two classes you do not have to do that for those universities.
Wow! That makes my life SO much easier. I took a semester at another school though. You think they'll want that?

MNova -- I thought that too haha. But when she said that, I asked again to confirm. "Oh, the deposit is due in 10 days too?" and she responded saying yes, that and the criminal background with whatever other forms should be sent in. It was sort of strange. I mean she said "Yes, it should be done as soon as possible" but then she added "within 10 days" at the end. I'm not really sure, but to be on the safe side, I'm sending it all in this week, probably tomorrow or Wednesday.

I may call again to confirm on which schools they need the Discpline form from. If anyone hears anything else though, let us know.

I found out that I have two minor disciplinary actions for breaking residence hall policy (1 for breaking general responsibility, 1 for breaking smokinig policy) when i was freshman living in the dorm in college. However, I have completed all the community service hours responsibly and in timly manner. Do you guys think that these disciplinary actions will somehow badly affect my admission process for final decision? Anybody please give me an advice. Thank you.

MTD52...call and ask about a semester..actually double check everything and post on here...

ipark3....i would call dr. linfante and tell him this because i remember him specifically telling us during the interview if we had any disciplinary actions against and we didn't write them down to tell him

MTD52...call and ask about a semester..actually double check everything and post on here...
What am I your servant? lol :D

Haha, I'll confirm it all tomorrow for sure. That's when I'll be sending in all my forms and deposit.

This is going to sound like a ridiculous question, but I just thought of it as I was reading the form on being convicted of a crime. Does a driving ticket that you went to court for count?

What am I your servant? lol :D

Haha, I'll confirm it all tomorrow for sure. That's when I'll be sending in all my forms and deposit.

This is going to sound like a ridiculous question, but I just thought of it as I was reading the form on being convicted of a crime. Does a driving ticket that you went to court for count?

I too thought of traffic violations, but ended up saying "no." I'm assuming (and hoping now that I've already mailed out the background check form) that they mean have I ever been convicted of doing something super serious.

I believe it said crime, misdemeanor, and maybe something else. According to this article, traffic violations are infractions but can be classified as misdemeanors if a person or property was threatened or injured, or if you failed to pay a ticket:

http://www.ehow.com/about_5038945_misdemeanor-traffic-violation.html

Anyway, I think the article is legitimate. Seems to be the consensus on other websites as well.

It says crime, misdemeanor, or other offense (all convictions, guilty, or no contest pleas included unless court order written in which you don't have to). I think it would be crazy to include traffic violations, but I just don't want to fill anything out wrong.

I just sent an email to Dr. Linfante. I didn't do anything wrong academically. It was just some minor judisciplinary actions for breaking dormitory regulations I made during my freshman year in college. Funny thing is that I don't even smoke and it was my roomate and his friends smoking in the room at the time I was in the room too. Just received same amount of community service hours as they did because my R.A. said that it was my responsibility to stop them smoking in the dorm room. Do you guys really think think that this will really matter?

And if traffic/speeding/whatever tickets count as one of crimes too, I am really really screwed. omg gotta pray now again.

Those don't count, those are citations not misdemeanors.

I already sent in my form so thats what I'm going by. I asked a friend of mine in law school if I had to list any parking violations, etc. and thats what he told me. Plus he had to do the same thing when he started and it was a similar form to ours. I think they are just looking for something serious (rape/murder/drug dealings, etc.), everyone gets speeding and parking violations that it shouldn't cause them to rescind an acceptance because of that.

I already sent in my form so thats what I'm going by. I asked a friend of mine in law school if I had to list any parking violations, etc. and thats what he told me. Plus he had to do the same thing when he started and it was a similar form to ours. I think they are just looking for something serious (rape/murder/drug dealings, etc.), everyone gets speeding and parking violations that it shouldn't cause them to rescind an acceptance because of that.
Yeah that's exactly what I thought. Just checking :D

Okay so I spoke to admissions again today. Confirmed that discipline form is due January 15th, and you only need it from the school you are graduating from. I told her that I spent another semester somewhere else and had some other random classes, and she said only the school I will graduate from.

http://dentalschool.umdnj.edu/students/prospective/09-10%20TUITION%20&%20FEES.pdf

Based on this, should I assume that the price will be ~$38k for the first year, or are all of those "projected" expenses, ones that you may not incur? It seems like they all are all necessary (except maybe the health insurance), but that makes the $26k tuition seem rather deceiving :(. I looked at some other schools too, and both NYU and Columbia's "other fees" (on top of tuition but excluding housing) only come to about $9k, but UMDNJ's seems to be about $12k. Why the big difference?

http://dentalschool.umdnj.edu/students/prospective/09-10 TUITION & FEES.pdf

Based on this, should I assume that the price will be ~$38k for the first year, or are all of those "projected" expenses, ones that you may not incur? It seems like they all are all necessary (except maybe the health insurance), but that makes the $26k tuition seem rather deceiving :(. I looked at some other schools too, and both NYU and Columbia's "other fees" (on top of tuition but excluding housing) only come to about $9k, but UMDNJ's seems to be about $12k. Why the big difference?

Well that list shows some expenses that I'm not sure are necessary: $500 debit card? $160 parking?

I dont know about the other schools, but the laptop that UMDNJ offers is mandatory, and I think you can BYO at other schools like NYU, so that takes another ~1560 off ( a huge ripoff for an IBM thinkpad laptop, btw). There are also other optional costs, like $100 for computer supplies, which I don't know what they could be, but for the price they charge, the $400 technology fee should also be included that too. So all in all, UMDNJ will end up costing ~$60k/year including living and personal expenses.

Well that list shows some expenses that I'm not sure are necessary: $500 debit card? $160 parking?

I dont know about the other schools, but the laptop that UMDNJ offers is mandatory, and I think you can BYO at other schools like NYU, so that takes another ~1560 off ( a huge ripoff for an IBM thinkpad laptop, btw). There are also other optional costs, like $100 for computer supplies, which I don't know what they could be, but for the price they charge, the $400 technology fee should also be included that too. So all in all, UMDNJ will end up costing ~$60k/year including living and personal expenses.

What if you didn't live there. You think it would be about $38k?

What if you didn't live there. You think it would be about $38k?

It would be pretty close to the projected numbers on the website... so around 40K. Still not a bad deal compared to the neighboring schools.

congrats on all who got into UMDNJ!!!!
q for all those who have recieved scholarships----what were your stats??
and did any admission officer say what the avg gpa/DAT scores were for scholarship offers??

congrats againnnn

congrats on all who got into UMDNJ!!!!
q for all those who have recieved scholarships----what were your stats??
and did any admission officer say what the avg gpa/DAT scores were for scholarship offers??

congrats againnnn
don't quote me on this but from what I remember from my interview day, I believe dr. linfante said gpa of 3.5> and DAT of 22/23...again not 100% sure but I think thats what he said.

Sorry to dwell on this seeing as how it's an exciting thread to be in....

but do we have a clear answer on the background check issue?
The acceptance letter says: complete all enclosed forms and return together with deposit.

how can they ask you to put in your deposit and background check within 10 days if you have until jan 15? something is not right here

that deposit is non-refundable!:eek:

Sorry to dwell on this seeing as how it's an exciting thread to be in....

but do we have a clear answer on the background check issue?
The acceptance letter says: complete all enclosed forms and return together with deposit.

how can they ask you to put in your deposit and background check within 10 days if you have until jan 15? something is not right here

that deposit is non-refundable!:eek:
Read the thread.

It would be pretty close to the projected numbers on the website... so around 40K. Still not a bad deal compared to the neighboring schools.

That doesn't seem like a lot though? Other schools have only 8-9k in other expenses. Now that I'm about to really get into all of this, I'm starting to worry about paying back $175,000+

That doesn't seem like a lot though? Other schools have only 8-9k in other expenses. Now that I'm about to really get into all of this, I'm starting to worry about paying back $175,000+

I think you're looking into it too much. I would just worry about the bottom line when you make comparisons between the schools. I think UMDNJ does a good job itemizing it all to see where the money is (supposed) to go towards. Other schools just give you a number. NYU, for example, lists tuition (~56K) and books/instruments (7K).

How could I be looking too much into my loan payments? lol. I see your point, but it's just disheartening when I take a look at that number. I can't see it being easy to pay back anymore.

How could I be looking too much into my loan payments? lol. I see your point, but it's just disheartening when I take a look at that number. I can't see it being easy to pay back anymore.

Regardless of whether you go to your state school or a pricey private school, you're looking at a large sum of money that needs to be paid off. In the end though, its all going towards something you have (and will be) working for. You should think of it as an investment more than a burden, although it will feel like a burden once repayment time comes, but will be worth it. If it really bothers you, check out the HSPS.

Regardless of whether you go to your state school or a pricey private school, you're looking at a large sum of money that needs to be paid off. In the end though, its all going towards something you have (and will be) working for. You should think of it as an investment more than a burden, although it will feel like a burden once repayment time comes, but will be worth it. If it really bothers you, check out the HSPS.

Thanks, that's a good point about the investment. I actually just did that, but I don't know if committing to 8 years of service is the right thing for me. It's a lot to think about, and I'll have to really consider everything there. I would never do that solely for the money though - obviously you need to want to be a part of the military.

In!

Undergrad: Connecticut College
Reside: central NJ