Official University of Chicago class of 2010

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I found out recently that I got off of the waitlist! Soooooo excited! I've been keeping my fingers crossed for months! Hello my future classmates! :D

Members don't see this ad.

Goodergirl said:
I found out recently that I got off of the waitlist! Soooooo excited! I've been keeping my fingers crossed for months! Hello my future classmates! :D

Congrats! Look forward to seeing you!

:love: :thumbup: :clap: :hardy: :D :) :cool:

As a fellow waitlister, welcome! :)

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm starting to think about buying my laptop for next year. Does Pritzker has any suggested specs, or get us discounts anywhere? Is there an IT office or something that I should call?

DC girl said:
I'm starting to think about buying my laptop for next year. Does Pritzker has any suggested specs, or get us discounts anywhere? Is there an IT office or something that I should call?

No recommendations, really. Basically everything works, and there are free connectivity packages available as well. The only hardware you have to worry about is getting a wireless connection within BSLC (if you want it) and I've never heard of anyone having a problem with that; everything else you need for your courses is online-based and compatible with PCs and Macs alike (e.g. Chalk, PSP, downloading .ppts and .pdfs).

Check out http://nsit.uchicago.edu/ if you have questions about minimum requirements etc. and http://ccs.uchicago.edu/ for computer purchasing info. I'm not sure if there are PC discounts there but we get the typical Mac discounts like most colleges (e.g. $150-200 off most systems). If you're in town already and want to go check some computers out in person, it's on the third floor of the bookstore building (stairs are by the cafe, not in the actual bookstore part).

Does anyone know where I can find more information about pricing and locations for condos in the area? I'm not sure if I'm going to buy this year or next (I've never done it before) and I'm trying to get more information about cost, location, and safety - does anyone have any recommendations on good websites for this?

Okay I just finished reading through this thread again, I forgot about all the great housing info that has already been posted. Also, Molly, sign me up for the SDN shindig in the fall, I'm really looking forward to meeting my new classmates! I think I'm probably going to move out there in early/mid-August. I'm taking a trip to Chicago at the end of this month though: the 29th - July 2nd, I'm taking trips to the Shedd Aquarium and the art museum (which is free on Thurs. and Fri. evenings from 5-9pm) if anyone is interesting in joining me.

I'm still so excited about Pritzker. This was the school that I got the best gut feeling at since before my interview day and I've been hoping to get in since then. :love:

p.s. To the person who said they would be the only idiot out playing in the snow the first day it snows, count me in too. I'm from the southwest and I can't wait to jump in a giant pile of leaves in the fall and to go sledding in the winter.

A question for Ben (or anybody else who might have info on the subject):

I was thinking about perhaps doing a dual-degree in Public Policy, but I don't really want to take the extra year. Then I stumbled across this certificate for "The Graduate Program in Health Administration and Policy" (or GPHAP). It is less than a whole degree, and seems perfect for what I want to do, since I'm really interested in policy stuff. Is this something you can do and still finish in 4 years? Do you have to be in the MD/MA program to do it? Also, when would you apply for that? Are most Pritzker students who want to do it accepted (as there's an application process)?

I don't know if you know about this in any detail or not, I'm just curious to see what kind of info I can get - the website is helpful, but has some holes. Any info you have would be greatly appreciated!

Hi, I'm a rising 3rd year and now that Step 1 is over, I can hopefully help answer questions over the next couple weeks.

With regards to GPHAP, I haven't heard about it but get in touch with Sylvia. She knows students who probably have gone through the program or the right person to talk with at the Public Policy school.

Let me know if you have other questions.

So I've heard Pritzker is incorporating a new curriculum starting this fall? I just got off the waiting list, and so I have to make a decision soon. I was wondering if anyone knew how much different the Pritzker curriculum will be for this coming year.

Rgroov3 said:
So I've heard Pritzker is incorporating a new curriculum starting this fall? I just got off the waiting list, and so I have to make a decision soon. I was wondering if anyone knew how much different the Pritzker curriculum will be for this coming year.

Nope, nothing radically different for this coming year as far as I know. Pritzker just launched a "campaign" of sorts this past year in order to re-examine the entire curriculum in hopes to reform it in the coming years. People matriculating this fall most likely won't experience the changes too much, if at all.

The administration and curriculum review committees, however, do go to great pains to consistently examine the curriculum on a monthly, and occasionally weekly, basis and make changes as needed. There is complete communication between students, faculty, and administration, and I think you'll all be pleasantly surprised to discover how amenable the administration and faculty are to making minute changes in order to make us happy.

Andy can talk more about this stuff if you have more questions. He's on CRC!

Hey Rgroov3 - Congrats on the acceptance!

Like Ben mentioned, we definitely have lots of communication between the faculty, staff, and students on school & curriculum related issues. Things have continually improved over the years (but to be fair, there are sometimes decisions that students work with faculty to make that don't turn out great so that gets modified more the following year).

Now getting back to your question...as for the new curriculum, it is still in the theoretical stage. For the class of 2010, I believe that you should expect to see relatively few changes in years 1 & 2. You may see a bit more rigor in basic science rigor in years 3 & 4 (we have that already but it may be emphasized differently by the time you are 3rd & 4th years) but that is all still being hammered out.

If you have specific questions to the curriculum and want a student's perspective or other questions, either reply here or email me at [email protected]

PS - CRC = Curriculum Review Committee

Goodergirl said:
p.s. To the person who said they would be the only idiot out playing in the snow the first day it snows, count me in too. I'm from the southwest and I can't wait to jump in a giant pile of leaves in the fall and to go sledding in the winter.

Yeah im planning on wearing like 10 layers to go outside.

Hows everyones housing search going? I've been slacking past week and havent been looking.

Members don't see this ad :)
Bump-dilly-ump.

I found an apartment yesterday. :)

Now I think this whole "I'm going to medical school" thing is finally sinking in!

Does anybody know if we can get our University ID's early? I plan on moving to Chicago at the beginning of August and would like to be able to use the gym and ride the busses if possible.

Yep. You can go to the office in Regenstein and they can get you one. I might call first to doublecheck the summer hours and see what you need to bring in terms of identification. You might also need to have set up a CNet ID beforehand, but check with them.

Congratulations on the apartment hunt success, Molly! Best of luck to everyone else with respect to finding housing and relocating. I'm moving up to Chicago in 4 days and could not be any more excited than I am! Despite keeping an incessantly growing list of things to remember to pack/do, I have resigned to accepting the inevitability that I will forget something. :)

Just out of curiosity, does anyone play racquet sports? I'm not great by any standards but I still enjoy playing. If anyone would care to play racquetball or tennis sometime this summer, count me in!

Also, does anyone familiar with the Hyde Park area know of any decent running routes? I would like to continue running (outdoors/trail) but it's my understanding that there are some safety issues in some of the surrounding neighborhoods. Where do all the current students go for a run?

frostynorthwind said:
Just out of curiosity, does anyone play racquet sports? I'm not great by any standards but I still enjoy playing. If anyone would care to play racquetball or tennis sometime this summer, count me in!

Yup. PM when you're in town and we'll play. A few third years and I are trying to set up a regular racquetball time in the mornings (may be prohibitively early, but we'll see) so you're welcome to join us when we do.

I would definitely be up for playing tennis if anybody is interested. Not quite sure where the best places in/around Hyde Park are though (I really have to go spend a morning on the U of C campus and get myself oriented :) )

Believe is or not, we actually have an official Pritzker Tennis club. There's already been one "play day" this summer. I'll PM you with the details.

If anyone is bored and already in Hyde Park, the MSIIs are pretty social. I can forward you our "social" class emails if you send me your email address.

Oh, and I recently updated the O-Week webpage. There're some more forms to fill out, pics of Pritzker clothing, etc...

Ken :)

thinknofu3 said:
I would definitely be up for playing tennis if anybody is interested. Not quite sure where the best places in/around Hyde Park are though (I really have to go spend a morning on the U of C campus and get myself oriented :) )

Hi everyone! I'm new to this thread but I'll be in your class in the fall so I thought I'd say hi.

I'll be living in the West Loop and I'm wondering if I'll have any neighbors living downtown?

Also, what are your thoughts on the health disparities class? Do we have to pay for it? I wanted to take it but it's really inconvenient for me to come to Chicago that early. I'm not sure if I should change my schedule.....

Thanks and I'll see you in a few months! :D

Reenee said:
Hi everyone! I'm new to this thread but I'll be in your class in the fall so I thought I'd say hi.

I'll be living in the West Loop and I'm wondering if I'll have any neighbors living downtown?

Also, what are your thoughts on the health disparities class? Do we have to pay for it? I wanted to take it but it's really inconvenient for me to come to Chicago that early. I'm not sure if I should change my schedule.....

Thanks and I'll see you in a few months! :D

Hi Reenee,

I'm not sure which class you're referring to. If you're talking about the "Social Context of Medicine" course, it starts at 10:30 AM.

As far as paying for classes is concerned, your tuition covers the cost of every course, including any electives you choose to take.

Ken :)

Reenee said:

Also, what are your thoughts on the health disparities class? Do we have to pay for it?

Hey Renee! Welcome :) My apartment is just west of the loop, right near the medical district, so I'm pretty much downtown. I'm really excited to move in in a couple of weeks.

As for the health disparities course (the MSIIs might not know about it since it's new this year, it is *not* the same thing as the Social Context of Medicine course), I'm doing it, I think it looks really cool, and there is no extra tuition charge for it. I think it'll be a great experience and a great way to start off our careers at Pritzker. You rarely get a chance in med school to actually go outside of the school to examine healthcare disparities since you're so busy memorizing things. Hopefully this will give us a chance to really see and think about some of these issues outside the everyday stress/pressure of our typical schedule. Anyone else care to comment?

Hi Renee! Just to add on to what thinknofu3 said, if you're taking the Health Disparities course, you also get access to your financial aid a week early, though the course itself is free. I'm really looking forward to it too. I think it will help to put things into perspective before embarking on lots of basic sciences.

I signed up for the class and am really looking forward to it.

On another subject, are there any good thrift stores in Hyde Park?

frostynorthwind said:
Congratulations on the apartment hunt success, Molly! Best of luck to everyone else with respect to finding housing and relocating. I'm moving up to Chicago in 4 days and could not be any more excited than I am! Despite keeping an incessantly growing list of things to remember to pack/do, I have resigned to accepting the inevitability that I will forget something. :)

Also, does anyone familiar with the Hyde Park area know of any decent running routes? I would like to continue running (outdoors/trail) but it's my understanding that there are some safety issues in some of the surrounding neighborhoods. Where do all the current students go for a run?

I pretty much avoid sports that involve raquets or coordination or teams of any kind, but there is a 13 (or maybe 15) mile long running/biking trail along the lake which goes through hyde park. When I was in Hyde Park to find an apartment, there were plenty of people running alone on the trail, so it seemed relatively safe. I stayed basically between 37th and 61st street, so I can't really speak for the areas outside of that. Also, once you hit 37th street there was a lot of construction going on and barriers up to the north of it, so that may make it a little less safe because the trail was a lot less visible there.

MollyMalone said:
I signed up for the class and am really looking forward to it.

On another subject, are there any good thrift stores in Hyde Park?

Have they sent anyone any more information about that class? I haven't heard anything about it since they asked if we were interested in taking it.

Also, I drove around Hyde Park A LOT the four days I was there, and I didn't notice any thrift stores.

DNM503 said:
Have they sent anyone any more information about that class? I haven't heard anything about it since they asked if we were interested in taking it.

Also, I drove around Hyde Park A LOT the four days I was there, and I didn't notice any thrift stores.

I haven't heard anything else about the class since the original notice either.

As for thrift stores, I don't think there are any in Hyde Park but a good area to find them is on the north side--Belmont St. area...

Oh! and I love tennis too! I'm not great by any means but I enjoy playing :)

Hey guys! I had two questions that maybe the MSIIs could help me out with regarding parking on campus: I realize the best place to get a permit is for the Ellis garage, and that we to the office on the first floor of the garage to get a permit. But here are my two questions: 1) Do we have to get our University ID before we can obtain a parking permit? And 2) Do the available permits go quickly (that is, should i get one ASAP), or can I wait until early Sept so that I don't have to pay for the month of August? Any help on this would be appreciated. Thanks! :)

Kinda a weird request but does anyone in this thread know someone I can stay with any of the nights 28th-30th of this month? I am flying over to shop apartments and the housing coordinators never got back to me about staying with medical students. If I dont find someone soon I will have to book a hotel or something. If needed I can pay. Also, It doesnt have to be all of those nights, I'll take anything i can get at this point. Im clean and I'll stay outta your way cuz ill be house shopping most of the time im there anyway. Kinda a far shot but thought I might as well post.

thinknofu3 said:
Hey guys! I had two questions that maybe the MSIIs could help me out with regarding parking on campus: I realize the best place to get a permit is for the Ellis garage, and that we to the office on the first floor of the garage to get a permit. But here are my two questions: 1) Do we have to get our University ID before we can obtain a parking permit? And 2) Do the available permits go quickly (that is, should i get one ASAP), or can I wait until early Sept so that I don't have to pay for the month of August? Any help on this would be appreciated. Thanks! :)

1. Yep.
2. Yep. I signed up for one in late August before first year and didn't get off the waiting list until early October. It's an expensive spot but well worth it IMO. They'll prorate the fraction of the quarter that you've had the spot if you happen to get one before the start of the fall quarter.

nosugrefneb said:
1. Yep.
2. Yep. I signed up for one in late August before first year and didn't get off the waiting list until early October. It's an expensive spot but well worth it IMO. They'll prorate the fraction of the quarter that you've had the spot if you happen to get one before the start of the fall quarter.

Do we have to go in person to the office on the first floor of the garage? Or, can we call to get on the list?

Hi everyone!

I'm wondering if we're supposed to order our first semester books now. The MSIIs made some recommendations in the Life at Pritzker booklet we received in the mail a few weeks ago. I looked on amazon and noticed that some of the books they recommended have newer editions (2005 or 2006). Should I order those or stick to the 2002 editions recommended for some of the courses? Any thoughts?

Thank you!:)

Reenee said:
Do we have to go in person to the office on the first floor of the garage? Or, can we call to get on the list?

Hmm, I don't remember that. I remember emailing a gentleman who was in charge of the waiting list but I can't seem to find his contact info on the parking site. Anyway, check out http://facilities.uchicago.edu/parking/ for more info and you can probably call them to find out how to get in line for a spot.

Reenee said:
Hi everyone!

I'm wondering if we're supposed to order our first semester books now. The MSIIs made some recommendations in the Life at Pritzker booklet we received in the mail a few weeks ago. I looked on amazon and noticed that some of the books they recommended have newer editions (2005 or 2006). Should I order those or stick to the 2002 editions recommended for some of the courses? Any thoughts?

Thank you!:)

You most definitely do not need to worry about getting books this early, as you'll be given a lot more info during orientation about the specifics of each book, what people liked/didn't like about them, etc. Sometimes people decide that they don't even need a book for a given course, so I'd definitely recommend waiting until you hear what the MS2s have to say and also how your fellow classmates are feeling regarding buying books.

In general, newer editions do not typically indicate newer material, but that's not always the case. You can always ask the professor teaching the course what their opinion is, as they often have older versions and will have kept up on what the newer versions are like. In most cases, unless there's groundbreaking work being done in a given field, older versions should suffice more or less.

Hey guys - I went down to Hyde Park today to get my parking stuff sorted out, and here's what I found out: First, we are not allowed to get our University IDs this early - the lady at the office told me that since we're only beginning in the fall, the earliest we can get our IDs is late August/early September. You can still get a parking permit without an ID, however you need to find out your ID number, which you can get from the registrar's office at BSLC (I went in person, but I'm sure you can get it either via phone or e-mail). Then you just fill out the form for a permit, pay for it, and they'll give it to you right there and then. Just thought I would pass all that info along.

Just to add to Ben's comment. One doesn't technically need to get a permit as long as they are willing to hunt for a parking spot. While I haven't experienced this personally (I live 3 blocks from BSLC/hospital), I know some people who came at around 7:30 am to get parking. By 8am, I think it gets a lot harder.

If you have the funds, get a parking space and it will give you some peace of mind (especially days when you have an exam). I just wanted to let others know that street parking is possible, just requires a bit more patience.

nosugrefneb said:
1. Yep.

I finally got off the waitlist @ Pritzker and thought I'd join the Class of 2010 thread. Anyone else a native Chicagoan? I'm originally from Libertyville in the 'burbs up north, and I thought I'd ask if any of my classmates were beaming with Chicago pride as well.

Yup, I live in Long Grove (went to Stevenson HS though...so I'm not sure I can be friends with someone from Libertyville...and I'm also a Cubs fan! ;) )

Also, for those of you on facebook, I just created a Pritzker class of 2010 group there, so search for it and join! (just remember that you have to have yourself as part of the UChicago network first - any questions feel free to PM me). Hopefully this won't be a complete dud and people will join :)

Hello, Has anyone received any more information from the FA office since they sent our award letters? I filled out all of the forms in the packet but I have not heard whether I was approved for any of the loans. I've been just waiting....does anyone know the next step? Will our subsidized stafford loan money be deducted from the first term's tuition? Thanks for the info/thoughts!:)

Reenee said:
Hello, Has anyone received any more information from the FA office since they sent our award letters? I filled out all of the forms in the packet but I have not heard whether I was approved for any of the loans. I've been just waiting....does anyone know the next step? Will our subsidized stafford loan money be deducted from the first term's tuition? Thanks for the info/thoughts!:)

I filled out the forms and registered on the website for my lender (which I found here ), but no activity had occured on the account since I first did this way back in May. So I emailed FA and they said that this is normal and that they won't start entering our information for a while and that I should check back in a couple of weeks (this was late last week).

uchicago hopeful for 2007 entering class here just wondering what rent is like in hyde park. merci. good luck with your first year! i'm excited for you

Hey ozzie,
Your sig says you went to SC. I graduated from there in 2005. I suggest we watch pac-10 games with 1st years from ucla and Cal.

Hey - I just figured out how to make the facebook group available to anyone at any school, so now feel free to join (we only have 2 members so far, that's sad!) Just search Pritzker school of medicine class of 2010 and you should find it.

there are White Sox fans (libertyville?) coming in. Remain steadfast! The times are rough currently. It's how you finish ...

G

To sdcap, we'll def have to get together for some sc football games. word is that there's a third sc student starting at pritzker this year as well. i don't think all the games are televised in chicago though

to respond to gumshoe, there are actually a handful of people north of the city that savor the sweet smell of another cubs losing season (this will be the 15th in the last 22 years, but who's counting?). hopefully kwilliams will pull the trigger for the sox and get soriano from the nationals

frostynorthwind said:

OMG you guys I have been such a SDN slacker but I'm back and with LOTS! So first of all, congrats to everyone who got off the waiting list and is now coming to Pritzker and to those who decided on Pritzker over other schools! Yay to all of you and I am so excited to meet you all in the fall! Secondly, I GOT ENGAGED! Yup, it's true - I got engaged in May when I dropped off the face of the SDN earth so look for me to bring my fiance to stuff - he's a cutie pie :love:

I am replying to Frosty's because dude, my fiance Bryan and I bought a condo in the Renaissance building as well so we'll be neighbors! Cool beans! If the weather is good, we can totally walk together if you want to save gas money and don't mind hoofing it and I dunno if you're bringing a car but I am so on snowy/yucky days we can totally drive. Yay! I was hoping another cool med student would be in the building :cool: And my fiance loves to play raquetball so who knows, maybe we'll bump into you at the courts!

I'm moving to Chicago the 24th-27th (we're driving from so. Cali.....bleh!) so I'll be around after that. And MollyM, totally count me in for the SDN event you're putting together and thanks for doing that by the way! Ok, I gotta run but congrats again to everyone and just think, we're almost there! See you all in Chicago soon :D

Ooops. It's 2am here in Cali and I'm tired and I totally screwed up the word racquetball.

Racquetball. R-a-c-q-u-e-t-b-a-l-l. Racquetball.

And I didn't even need the phonics monkey :D (if you get where that's from, you're freakin sweet)