Official University of Chicago class of 2010

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
DNM503 said:
Did you know that the first guy to run a "Marathon" (26.2 miles from Marathon to Athens in Greece to deliver a message about the end of some war) dropped dead when he got there?

I just learned that today, ironically.

I remember learning about that!

You are more than welcome to come glitter wand shopping with me. It would be fun. We could color-coordinate.

In all seriousness, I know that there is plenty of time to find a place. But I want it all to happen NOW! I'm feeling very Veruca Salt about this whole process.

Members don't see this ad.

MollyMalone said:

You are more than welcome to come glitter wand shopping with me. It would be fun. We could color-coordinate.

In all seriousness, I know that there is plenty of time to find a place. But I want it all to happen NOW! I'm feeling very Veruca Salt about this whole process.

hahahaha i know what you mean! I know it's not even may, but I already found a place there ;) I will be moving there end of June tho.

MollyMalone said:

I emailed the person who posted that ad, and no utilities are included, and it's not very close to grocery/drug stores. It's 3 blocks from the UChicago bus route.

Oh well, I think I am giving up my fantasy of living in a castle...

And I understand the wanting to find a place now too. I think I am going to go and officially find a place sometime in June, though, and then move in sometime in August. Where will you be living, Phenylalanine?

P.S. I was walking through the park on my way home from class today in sunny, warm HOTlanta, and OH MY WE ARE GOING TO FREEZE NEXT YEAR (haha)!

Members don't see this ad :)
double post, sorry!

DNM503 said:
P.S. I was walking through the park on my way home from class today in sunny, warm HOTlanta, and OH MY WE ARE GOING TO FREEZE NEXT YEAR (haha)!

Oh, it's not THAT bad. I wager you'll still have a few toes left by the end of your four years. :p

again, i would tell folks that the uchicago marketplace website is a great resource for finding student-friendly apartments and roommates in hyde park and beyond:

http://marketplace.uchicago.edu/

apartment listings for the fall will become especially active in the summer. the best deals will probably be gone by sept 1, when most students move in, but a good deal will still pop up here and there and you can certainly still find apartments.

here's a link to the free student bus routes in the hyde park area:

http://www.rh.uchicago.edu/bus/

it's nice to live near a bus route, especially in the winter.

sanford_w/o_son said:
again, i would tell folks that the uchicago marketplace website is a great resource for finding student-friendly apartments and roommates in hyde park and beyond:

http://marketplace.uchicago.edu/

apartment listings for the fall will become especially active in the summer. the best deals will probably be gone by sept 1, when most students move in, but a good deal will still pop up here and there and you can certainly still find apartments.

here's a link to the free student bus routes in the hyde park area:

http://www.rh.uchicago.edu/bus/

it's nice to live near a bus route, especially in the winter.
Thanks sanford. :thumbup:

Yes, thanks for the links, sanford.

It's mostly sublets that are up now, and rentals starting earlier in the summer. Do you know when apartments opening up for August/early September will begin to increase?

DNM503 said:
I emailed the person who posted that ad, and no utilities are included, and it's not very close to grocery/drug stores. It's 3 blocks from the UChicago bus route.

Oh well, I think I am giving up my fantasy of living in a castle...

And I understand the wanting to find a place now too. I think I am going to go and officially find a place sometime in June, though, and then move in sometime in August. Where will you be living, Phenylalanine?

oh I totally know what you mean about the weather. I , too, being a fellow southerner will really really miss a day like today in Chapel Hill, NC-warm, and beautiful carolina blue sky.

I will be living at Regents Park. It seems nice.

MollyMalone said:
My host for this weekend sent me this awesome link:

www.transitchicago.com

Who are you staying with? I'm hosting someone named Carmen and we'll see you at dinner. BTW, Kerry will agree that I'm an amazing bowler (bowled 16 300-games in the past week...you know, in between studying) so you and whoever else is coming to visit had better bring your A-game. :)

nosugrefneb said:
Who are you staying with? I'm hosting someone named Carmen and we'll see you at dinner. BTW, Kerry will agree that I'm an amazing bowler (bowled 16 300-games in the past week...you know, in between studying) so you and whoever else is coming to visit had better bring your A-game. :)

I'm staying with a girl named Ele. :)

I'm not much of a bowler, I admit, and I haven't bowled in ages and ages so I doubt I'll be much competition. I will have fun admiring your prowess, though!

MollyMalone said:
I'm staying with a girl named Ele. :)

I'm not much of a bowler, I admit, and I haven't bowled in ages and ages so I doubt I'll be much competition. I will have fun admiring your prowess, though!
:laugh: Agree. I don't think I could even hit 100. :smuggrin:

Members don't see this ad :)
MollyMalone said:
I'll wager that you could add our scores together and we still won't touch Ben.

Any takers?
Nope. But at least we'll look gorgeous getting our butts handed to us. ;) Actually, it's a good idea to cut off your thumbnail. I ripped mine off the last time I went bowling. :eek:

QofQuimica said:
Nope. But at least we'll look gorgeous getting our butts handed to us. ;) Actually, it's a good idea to cut off your thumbnail. I ripped mine off the last time I went bowling. :eek:

Ouch! :scared:

To Do List:
Manicure on Sat.

MollyMalone said:
Yes, thanks for the links, sanford.

It's mostly sublets that are up now, and rentals starting earlier in the summer. Do you know when apartments opening up for August/early September will begin to increase?

you'll see more ads for the fall starting in the summer, when landlords start to learn whether leases will be renewed and roommates get a solid idea of who's staying.

a lot of people will tell you to stay clear of k&g management, which owns a lot of apartment building in hyde park. i've heard claims that they aren't too responsive to tenants. my experience with them was okay, although i never needed a repair. they might have their own website somewhere.

i've had a great experience with harper building, which posts ads on marketplace. the owner is very nice and fair. near a lot of commercial activity.

grad student university housing is overpriced for what you get. most people aren't too happy with it. i've seen a few places, and it's not worth the price.

never been in regents apart from the first floor grocery. i hear it's nice, but the rents are pretty high for the area (maybe not for what you get, dunno). it's isolated from campus and on the fringe of commercial activity/transit routes, but near the lake and lakeshore drive (which is nice if you have a car). i think you gotta walk about two blocks to get to a university bus route.

kinda a weird topic change (since I won't be doing the housing thing til later this month when my bf and I can get ourselves back out to Chi-town) but....

I am trying to figure out my laptop situation and I was wondering (Ben or other current students).... does the school provide any free software? Meaning, do you get free copies that the school has already purchased (Microsoft XP Professional or Student edition, virus software, etc.)??? Or are you on your own for all of that? I just wanted to know so I don't buy something I can download for free from an ITS website later on.

And yes you guys, Ben is an amazing bowler, I will bow down and say it. And yes Ben, I have watched those GI Joe movie things on ebaumsworld. Hilarious and the PERFECT distraction when it comes time for biochem problem sets. Ugh. So gross. Listening to Journey is also a good distraction I've found....like right now when I should be doing a mol. bio presentation prep thing....."she's just a small town girl....livin in a looo-nely worrrld"......sorry guys, sleep depravation is ugly when it comes to me!

DolfinGrl11 said:
I am trying to figure out my laptop situation and I was wondering (Ben or other current students).... does the school provide any free software? Meaning, do you get free copies that the school has already purchased (Microsoft XP Professional or Student edition, virus software, etc.)??? Or are you on your own for all of that? I just wanted to know so I don't buy something I can download for free from an ITS website later on.

ooo oooooo I want to know this too! anyone else getting a mac this summer to kick off your med school career? :D

to those of you living in the area already, which sections of Hyde Park should be avoided because they are less safe? what are the streets that form these boundaries?
thanks!

elion said:
to those of you living in the area already, which sections of Hyde Park should be avoided because they are less safe? what are the streets that form these boundaries?
thanks!

People will tell you different things but in my opinion, the boundaries are as follows:

Anything West of Cottage Grove
Anything north of 52nd St
Anything South of 61st.
East is the Lake

Stay in that area and you will have more than enough places to choose from. My advice is to find a place a little north of the university 54th, 53rd, or head east to the lake and look there. South of the campus is getting better and better since they are building a lot of buildings there now but there still are no grocery stores or shops, which is inconvenient. good luck!

housemd said:
People will tell you different things but in my opinion, the boundaries are as follows:

Anything West of Cottage Grove
Anything north of 52nd St
Anything South of 61st.
East is the Lake

Stay in that area and you will have more than enough places to choose from. My advice is to find a place a little north of the university 54th, 53rd, or head east to the lake and look there. South of the campus is getting better and better since they are building a lot of buildings there now but there still are no grocery stores or shops, which is inconvenient. good luck!

this seems about right. i'd say the northern boundary is really 47th street (nowadays it's pretty safe all the way north to downtown, due to the beginnings of gentrification), although for convenience concerns i would avoid living north of 51st street. south of 61st street is rapidly developing and the university police patrol it now--it is much safer than in the past, but there is very little there commercially.

QofQuimica said:
What is the best way to get from the downtown area to Pritzker? Can I take the public transportation, or will I need to go by cab?

as in most cases, a cab will certainly get you there faster but for 10+ times the cost.

i would take the "red line" from downtown (subway with several stops off of state street) south to the 55th/garfield stop. cross 55th street, and wait for the 55th/garfield bus (avoid the express bus) going east to "the museum of science and industry." after a couple miles, the bus will wind its way through a park. a couple blocks past the park is the ellis ave stop (the bus should announce "ellis" ahead of time)--pull the cord to get off at ellis avenue. this is the northern edge of campus, where a unique-looking athletic facility is across the street from a parking garage. walk two blocks south on ellis ave to 57th street. walk one block west on 57th street to the biological sciences building on the north side of the street.

or, you can take the #6 bus from downtown (also off of state street). this is a quicker, more direct route to getting to hyde park (which also avoids the impoverished areas in-between), but it takes you several blocks east of campus. you'd have to do a lot of walking to get to the western edge of campus.

Does anyone know how AOA is picked at Pritzker, since there really aren't grades to speak of (at least in my understanding)?

I think AOA is based on 3rd year grades.

For all those interested, I've found the Chicago Transit Authority (CTA) to be extremely helpful. If you call them at 312-836-7000 and give them your starting and ending destination, they can tell you (very quickly) the best way to get there via public transportation.

Tonic1025 said:
I think AOA is based on 3rd year grades.

For all those interested, I've found the Chicago Transit Authority (CTA) to be extremely helpful. If you call them at 312-836-7000 and give them your starting and ending destination, they can tell you (very quickly) the best way to get there via public transportation.

That is a pretty sweet site! I'm already planning my first week of exploring Chicago when I move up there in the middle of July, and I can tell this site will be extremely helpful! I know it sounds nerdy but it has been a great diversion while I finish up the last few weeks of undergrad. (I totally agree with you Molly when you said you want everything to happen now). Thanks for the suggestion, Tonic!

Random question for current Hyde Park residents: anyone know of any good LOCAL coffee shops in or around Hyde Park? Local as in, not a franchise(such as Borders or Starbucks)? Let's just say, I have come to terms with my addiction to good espresso, coffee, and almost any other caffeinated commmodity, so anyone with insight into local coffee shops, could you recommend any? Thanks!

frostynorthwind said:
Random question for current Hyde Park residents: anyone know of any good LOCAL coffee shops in or around Hyde Park? Local as in, not a franchise(such as Borders or Starbucks)? Let's just say, I have come to terms with my addiction to good espresso, coffee, and almost any other caffeinated commmodity, so anyone with insight into local coffee shops, could you recommend any? Thanks!

the guide pretty much covers them: istria, third world, and bonjour, besides numerous places on campus.

Thanks for recommending that site, phenylalanine. Good info!

Hey guys! Hope everyone had a fabulous weekend. This is my last week of classes/tests.....I'm done WED! Plus, my water polo team won the league championship yesterday so we are going to the NCAA Div. I tourney! Craziness. Lots to keep me occupied until the end of the year. Hope you are all having a good re-visit day for the peeps that are there today!

Hey there cats and kittens,

I just got back from the revisit day and I had a fabulous time.

Ben, it was great to meet you. You bowl an awesome game. ;)

I'm looking forward to meeting the rest of you in the fall!

MollyMalone said:
Ben, it was great to meet you. You bowl an awesome game. ;)

Likewise on both counts. No 300 games, but it was an off-night for both of us, I suppose.

anyone that was placed in the "alternate pool" hear back about whether you were officially placed on the waitlist yet?

bigdreamer said:
anyone that was placed in the "alternate pool" hear back about whether you were officially placed on the waitlist yet?

I don't know anything about this, but I just wanted to wish you luck! I hope you hear good news soon!

:luck: :luck:

Yo peeps.

So? Did the revisits change anyones' minds? WHO'S COMING TO PRITZKER?

Also, I wanted to say that I spoke with some financial aid folks, and they expressed that you should feel free to email them if you have any questions or concerns at all about your potential financial status (especially since May 15th is right around the corner and we understand you may be still deciding between schools at the last minute!). So, email Joni Huff (jhuff-at-bsd-dot-uchicago-dot-edu) or David Owen (dowen-at-bsd-dot-uchicago-dot-edu) or call them and they would be more than happy to address it for you. Plus, they're the nicest people ever. Even nicer than the person you previously thought was the nicest person ever, who now happens to be the third nicest person ever.

Also, if you have any other questions about ANYTHING AT ALL, ask!! Get it out in the open. Email me. Email someone in the OME. PM me. IM me. Drop by the OME if you're in town. Email your hosts. We'd all be thrilled to hear from you.

I am coming to Pritzker!! I will finish withdrawing other acceptances in the next few days. It was not an easy decision to make, but I think I made the right one. Yes, I will be in a lot of debt. But I think it will be well worth it :)

Also, I will be moving in end of June, so if anyone is there early and want to explore Chicago together, let me know!!

looks like we will be getting lots of info from the orientation committee soon :thumbup:

I'm coming too!

My current plan is to move in August (July if I must), so you can show me everything you've learned!

I just found this forum today and I'm so excited to talk to other people that are going to Pritzker next year! I am so excited.

I'm from Chicago, so if anyone is in the area looking at apartments or if you move in this summer and want to explore the city let me know.

Shammy0807 said:
I just found this forum today and I'm so excited to talk to other people that are going to Pritzker next year! I am so excited.

I'm from Chicago, so if anyone is in the area looking at apartments or if you move in this summer and want to explore the city let me know.

Welcome, Shammy!!

BTW, if anyone's picking MedLoans for their Staffords and is wondering what the hell is going on with the Sallie Mae website, the link from the Pritzker page is wrong and they're working on fixing it. :D

What lenders did you all choose? I really have no idea what to put down.

Hey all. Just registered so I could say hey to some of my future classmates. I just decided that I want to be in chicago for next year so i will be seeing many of you there. I probably already met some of you on the last revisit day (I was the red headed guy, Karl). So anyway, Im also coming from socal so I will be the idiot playing in the snow the first day it snows.

Anyway, Im excited about coming over there and look forward to meeting some new people. I'll also be coming early and enrolled in the health discrepancy class so I will be exploring the city before orientation week. So for Shammy i might take you up on that. I will probably be moving over there with my friend who will be starting grad school at u. chicago.

GasGuy2010 said:
What lenders did you all choose? I really have no idea what to put down.

I am using T.H.E. :)
Pritzker's website is wrong.. there is no orgination fee nor guarantee fee

SdCap said:
Hey all. Just registered so I could say hey to some of my future classmates. I just decided that I want to be in chicago for next year so i will be seeing many of you there. I probably already met some of you on the last revisit day (I was the red headed guy, Karl.) So anyway, Im also coming from socal so I will be the idiot playing in the snow the first day it snows.
Hey, I'm the one who met with you and the pathologist. :cool:

SdCap said:
Hey all. Just registered so I could say hey to some of my future classmates. I just decided that I want to be in chicago for next year so i will be seeing many of you there. I probably already met some of you on the last revisit day (I was the red headed guy, Karl). So anyway, Im also coming from socal so I will be the idiot playing in the snow the first day it snows.

Anyway, Im excited about coming over there and look forward to meeting some new people. I'll also be coming early and enrolled in the health discrepancy class so I will be exploring the city before orientation week. So for Shammy i might take you up on that. I will probably be moving over there with my friend who will be starting grad school at u. chicago.

Hey Karl, I was there, too, but I didn't get much of a chance to talk with you. Look forward to getting to know you next year!