Official University of Chicago class of 2010

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
May 15th bump!

Surely there's someone out there in SDN land who made the final decision to come to Pritzker today!?!

Members don't see this ad.

well I am hoping for a spot to open up!

If anyone gets off the waitlist let us know!

*Peers to the right and then to the left* It sure has been quiet on here lately. I don't know whether everyone is in the midst of finals week or the more likely possibility, everyone has a life far too exciting these days to accommodate any down-time spent on SDN? :)

With one final down and three to go, staying focused on finals is taking all of my concentration right now. I can't seem to put aside the fact that in a few months, I'll be moving up to Chicago and just a few weeks after that, we will start our first classes as med students. Somehow this realization makes graduation (5 days away) seem really trivial and mundane. Anyone remember the cartoon satirically depicting the different types of med students floating around SDN a few months ago? If my current enthusiasm is any predictor of my future med student self, I fear you all might have to deal with at least one "overly enthusiastic" type this fall... :oops:

On a sidenote, I have verified that I will be moving to Chicago around the end of July. Although I have a few friends who will be starting law school in Chicago this summer, I thought it might be fun to meet up with some fellow Pritzker med students and explore the town together. Has anyone been to the International Museum of Surgical Science? Although I think it would be a phenomenal way to spend an afternoon this summer, I can't seem to motivate any of my aforementioned law compadres to go with me. :rolleyes: Any takers?

Well, best of :luck: in finishing up coursework or real work in the next few weeks.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm hoping that it's finals that's keeping folks away. Good luck on the rest of yours, Frosty!

Have you found a place to live, or have you just decided on your moving timeline? I would love to go to the Museum of Surgical Science -- I had no idea it existed!

I AM sOOOOOOOOOOOOO READY FOR MED SCHOOL :)

the museum sounds cool! exploring Chicago is definitely on my list this summer.

Has anyone gotten any information on orientation, the pre-orientation class??

and how does health and disability insurance work? does pritzker get them for us and we just pay pritzker as part of our tuition/fee?

Hi folks. It has been a little quiet in here. We should change that.

You should be excited. Last night we (we being Dean's Council) made some decisions regarding making some changes to the student lounges and cultural things. We're putting a water cooler and (possibly-free-but-probably-not) coffee maker in both the hospital and BSLC lounges, a new/replacement foosball table and arcade/video game/Golden Tee/extravaganza thingy in the hospital lounge, and made a $3K donation to the Ultmann fund (which, via a lottery system, provides free tickets to students periodically to attend cultural events around Chicago (e.g. opera, theater, dinner events, other shows, etc.) which is pretty cool). The Ultmann fund is something that's been going on for a long time but became semi-dormant in recent years, but it was picked back up a few years ago and is becoming a big thing for students again.

Also, the bus routes around HP were changed recently for the first time in 20+ years to more efficient ones, so you can expect to be able to get back and forth from the BSLC in a lot less time and without having to go all over Hyde Park to get home now. :)

Hot. You are geniuses. Let me know when you're all in town and we'll go out for some drinks. Then, during orientation, more drinks (if that's your thing, of course).

Sounds like most people are thinking of moving in June or July. Is anyone else out there planning on a September 1 move?

DC girl said:
Sounds like most people are thinking of moving in June or July. Is anyone else out there planning on a September 1 move?

I'm planning on moving sometime between 8/1 - 9/1.

In other news, I am attempting to organize a Chicagoland SDN meetup for this fall! PM me if you are interested in attending a fabulous night out with your fellow SDNers from the Chicagoland medical schools!

(Yes, I know this is very early. But I have nothing better to do this summer besides plan fun things like this!)

I plan on moving in late July early August. I can't wait!! :D

DC girl said:

I am probably moving around Sept. 1. I'd prefer to move around August 15, but I am not sure how many leases will allow me to move in during the middle of the month. I'm secretly holding out for another school's waitlist, so I don't want to move to Chicago until after their start date. I think a lot of people may move around Sept. 1, though, so I wouldn't worry too much!

What a relief! I just finished my last final of my undergraduate career. :p

MollyM, I have actually found a place to live. I'm renting a "soft-loft" condo unit in Renaissance Place (53rd and Ellis- methinks). It seems convenient and close to campus from what I can tell. I had hoped to find an affordable apartment complex with a substantial med/professional student demographic, but I'm not sure this building fits the bill. Most of the tenants in this building seem to be older professionals, and I think the vast majority of tenants actually "own" their condo units, which seems like an odd concept to a guy unfamiliar with condo culture...

Just my 2 cents here, but when I went up there to look at apartments, I looked at a few that were south of campus despite advice I was given from a few med students. Although it takes a lot to make me feel uncomfortable, I couldn't imagine walking back to an apartment south of campus at night. The apartments were generally cheaper and my impressions of the area might be flawed, but for people still looking for apartments, I would think twice about moving a few blocks to the south of campus. Ben, can you correct me on this?

Before I forget, MollyM, please sign me up for the med student night on the town event. Sounds like fun! Thanks!

frostynorthwind said:
What a relief! I just finished my last final of my undergraduate career. :p

Before I forget, MollyM, please sign me up for the med student night on the town event. Sounds like fun! Thanks!

Congrats!!! :hardy: :clap: :thumbup:

I will sign you up for the shindig!

It's cool that you found a place already! Did you use an agency or did you do all the legwork yourself?

Members don't see this ad :)
frostynorthwind said:
=Just my 2 cents here, but when I went up there to look at apartments, I looked at a few that were south of campus despite advice I was given from a few med students. Although it takes a lot to make me feel uncomfortable, I couldn't imagine walking back to an apartment south of campus at night. The apartments were generally cheaper and my impressions of the area might be flawed, but for people still looking for apartments, I would think twice about moving a few blocks to the south of campus. Ben, can you correct me on this?

Yeah, I'd probably go along with that. I don't know too terribly much about the area, and it's probably a bit of a generalization to say that all of south of campus is sketchy, but the truth is that the further south and west of campus you go, the sketchier it can get. I do have a few friends that live in some newly-built condos on 61st and they seems to really like it there, but I don't quite understand why.

OK, so after being lazy and not registering with SDN, I finally did. I figured I may as well join in on this thread since I am for sure coming to Pritzker! Thanks to all the current students for your great advice!

PS. Molly, depending on the day/time, count me in for the get-together!

tanviUSC said:
OK, so after being lazy and not registering with SDN, I finally did. I figured I may as well join in on this thread since I am for sure coming to Pritzker! Thanks to all the current students for your great advice!

PS. Molly, depending on the day/time, count me in for the get-together!

:hardy: Welcome to SDN! I look forward to meeting you in the fall and I will put you down on my interested list.

Ok guys, I just got accepted to Cornell off their waitlist. I'm like 80% still sure I want to go to Pritzker, but I could use some reassurance.

Help! :confused:

Does anyone know what lender is the best for the stafford loans. I heard medloans is good does anyone think otherwise.

Shammy0807 said:
Ok guys, I just got accepted to Cornell off their waitlist. I'm like 80% still sure I want to go to Pritzker, but I could use some reassurance.

this is going to sound really lame... but go with your heart, go with where you think you will be most happy, and don't make a decision you think you will regret in the future.

CristaGalli said:
Does anyone know what lender is the best for the stafford loans. I heard medloans is good does anyone think otherwise.

I asked the financial aid office this before... they told me that most students go with medloans... I am going with THE though

Shammy0807 said:

Ditto above: go with your heart. Both are quality schools, but ask yourself where you felt most comfortable, then go from there.

Has anyone been accepted yet from Pritzker's waitlist? It doesn't seem like there has been any movement. :(

Shammy0807 said:

Come to Pritzker. Duh! ;)

Do you have any questions that might help you solidify your decision?

Well guys I spent the day thinking about it and I'm coming to Pritzker!!!!!!!

What the hell was I thinking??

New York was tempting but Chicago is a far superior city and the people at Pritzker rock! :D

Shammy0807 said:

New York was tempting but Chicago is a far superior city and the people at Pritzker rock! :D

Haha. Glad you came to your senses!

Shammy0807 said:

Yay! :thumbup: :luck: :love: :clap: :hardy:

Shammy0807 said:

Yay! Good to hear- see you in September :)

Hello Everyone,

I got off of Pritzker's waitlist yesterday afternoon. It has been my first choice since I interviewed in February.

:love: :love: :love:

rainyday said:
Hello Everyone,

I got off of Pritzker's waitlist yesterday afternoon. It has been my first choice since I interviewed in February.

:love: :love: :love:

Awesome news!! Congratulations!

:love: :thumbup: :clap: :hardy: :cool: :D :)

Hi guys! I just got a call this morning offering me an acceptance...Pritzker has been my first choice since I interviewed in *October*!!!!! I had completely given up hope, and then I get this call...I can't even begin to tell you guys how excited I am!!!! :) I can't wait to meet all of you in the fall.

BTW - when do classes/orientation start? Is there some sort of webpage I should visit to get caught up on all this info?

Rainyday and thinknofu3-

CONGRATULATIONS to you both! :thumbup: :D :thumbup: I look forward to meeting you (and the rest of the entering class of 06) this summer. Congrats, again!

Orientation week is September 17-22 with the white coat ceremony on the 17th. Classes start the following Monday on September 25th, methinks. Have an awesome summer in the meantime and definitely celebrate/rest easy tonight! :)

thinknofu3 said:
Hi guys! I just got a call this morning offering me an acceptance...Pritzker as been my first choice since I interviewed in *October*!!!!! I had completely given up hope, and then I get this call...I can't even begin to tell you guys how excited I am!!!! :) I can't wait to meet all of you in the fall.

BTW - when do classes/orientation start? Is there some sort of webpage I should visit to get caught up on all this info?

Congrats to you, too!

:love: :clap: :hardy: :cool: :D :)

The orientation website should be up at the beginning of June is my understanding.

Hey guys

Could anyone tell me what is in the first orientation packet we received? I moved back home for the summer to visit my parents and it was sent to my school address I've been told. So I was just wondering what if any important things were sent in it? Thanks

GasGuy2010 said:
Hey guys

Could anyone tell me what is in the first orientation packet we received? I moved back home for the summer to visit my parents and it was sent to my school address I've been told. So I was just wondering what if any important things were sent in it? Thanks

Probably the most important thing in it was a packet of immunization/TB skin test forms. Everything else will be on the website when it goes up (guide to figuring out what size white coat to order, facebook questionnaire, etc.).

Do you guys know how clinical years are evaluated at U of C? Are there shelf exams?

Immunization forms can be downloaded at http://pritzker.bsd.uchicago.edu/current/students/faq_immunizations.shtml.

wildcat05 said:
Do you guys know how clinical years are evaluated at U of C? Are there shelf exams?

Third year is honors/high pass/pass/fail, or some variation on that theme, and all rotations have shelf exams which have varying degrees of contribution to one's grade. (There may be a conditional pass as well, but not entirely sure about that.)

Fourth-year is largely back to P/F with some exceptions.

Hello,
firstly I must apologize to you for my english grammar. I start learn english not long ago.
I now, that my reply not relate to your thread, but I can't find another way to acquaint with somebody, who study at medical university too.
I am very want to contact with all, who want contact with me.
Shortly about me:
My name is Oleg. I second year student in Lugansk Medical University(Ukraine) now. I want to be a surgeon.
Contact with me:
e-mail:p[email protected]

I hope, that somebody contact with me...

Nosugrefneb,
what are vacation times like at pritzker...so school starts in september, but when are they over. And how much time do we get free during christmas, thanksgiving and springbreak in all the years? Also, how much time do we get free after second year (after taking boards)?
Also, could you comment on summer opportunities excluding research that are available.i.e international internships and such.
Thanks

CristaGalli said:
Nosugrefneb,
what are vacation times like at pritzker...so school starts in september, but when are they over. And how much time do we get free during christmas, thanksgiving and springbreak in all the years? Also, how much time do we get free after second year (after taking boards)?
Also, could you comment on summer opportunities excluding research that are available.i.e international internships and such.
Thanks

In the first two years, you're in class from late September to mid-June with the exception of breaks and the ending date of second year being a little earlier than this. Christmas is roughly 3 weeks, Thanksgiving is 3 days (Wed.-Fri.), and spring break is a week (this goes for all four years...some schools don't get a spring break and/or have an abbreviated Christmas break in the clinical years for some reason).

The break after the boards is all up to you. Second year ends in late April and third year begins in late June, so you can do whatever you want with that free time, whether that's studying for two months before you take the boards, or taking the boards right away and taking two months off to travel. I'd say the average amount of break people give themselves is 1-2 weeks, but some are taking 3-4 weeks and some are taking the boards the day before third year orientation starts, so it really depends on what you want to get out of your boards studying and/or your break.

Summer opportunities are really up to you as well. You are encourage to pursue whatever you can find. The vast majority simply do research through the summer research program here, which is awesome and provides you with a nice stipend to boot, but some combine that with a little travelling either before or after the program starts, and some do entirely different things. There are no established international opportunities through Pritzker, though. Those who do these sorts of things have to find the fellowships and programs themselves, but Pritzker doesn't really care what you do as long as you're enjoying yourself. You could sit around on your ass all summer if you wanted to, or you could do a fellowship in Africa or India or Thailand or Peru like some of my classmates did. It's up to you. If you want more specific info on these programs, email me and I'll put you in touch with these folks.

Hey guys - random question, maybe I missed it since my acceptance came late: Do we have to submit a final transcript? I know that U of C doesn't require a bachelor's degree to matriculate, but do they want a final transcript anyway? Just wanted to know so I could arrange it with my registrar if I had to. Thanks!

thinknofu3 said:
Hey guys - random question, maybe I missed it since my acceptance came late: Do we have to submit a final transcript? I know that U of C doesn't require a bachelor's degree to matriculate, but do they want a final transcript anyway? Just wanted to know so I could arrange it with my registrar if I had to. Thanks!

Yes, they do require a final transcript. :)

Anybody know where to send the final transcript? Just to the main medical school address? (attention to anybody?)

Also, a little bit of a proposition - I don't know what you guys are doing about housing, but I have a place already (which I got when I thought I was still going to UIC) and am looking for a roommate. It's really nice, quiet, great area, great amenities - you'd have your own bedroom and bathroom, and the place is fully furnished except for the 2nd bedroom. It's located in the Medical Village, about a 15 min (max) drive from U of C. If anybody is interested, definitely PM me for details, I think it would be awesome to have a roommate that went to Pritzker also!

Ack, yeah I need that address for sending final transcripts as well. Does anyone know if there's a deadline for that?

Also, speaking of housing, I found myself a studio near campus. It's south of campus, but at 61st (and Woodlawn) which multiple people told me was fine in terms of safety. It's called University House if anyone's interested in finding affordable housing. (And pleae let me know if you've heard anything absolutely horrible about the place)

Hi everyone. I'm the current MS09 who's in charge of designing the Orientation Week 2006 website for Pritzker's next incoming class. The website will be up and running early next week (hopefully Monday). All currently accepted students will receive an email pointing to its address. You'll also receive login and password information for all of those wonderful surveys you have to fill out this summer. If you don't receive the email, look for a "quick link" on the bottom right hand corner of the main Pritzker website entitled "Orientation Week."

Sorry for the delay. If anyone is in a bind (won't have internet access during the summer and needs to complete the surveys ASAP), feel free to email me at the address listed in the eResponsibilities mailing. I'll post updates here too. Okay, I have to study neuro now (we have finals next week). Congrats again on your acceptance!

Looking forward to meeting all of you this September,

Ken :)

Did you guys get an email telling you about the orientation website and the passwords for it?

I didn't and I'm a little worried. :confused:

Shammy0807 said:
Did you guys get an email telling you about the orientation website and the passwords for it?

I didn't and I'm a little worried. :confused:

Check whatever email you originally gave amcas. Mine went to my college email instead of the email that I sent the admissions office when they asked for the updated summer info.

Also, is anybody else disproportionate? According to that chart and my bust, waist, and hips measurements, I should be wearing THREE different white coat sizes...haha.

Thanks for the tip, I found it in my old school mail as well.

Is there anybody looking for a roommate at Regents?

I'm an incoming law student, but I'm trying to avoid thinking and living with the law 24/7. So I apologize in advance for hijacking the thread.

I'm 25, and I'm finishing a master's in physics at
Ohio State. I will be a 1L at Chicago next year.

I like to cook, but I don't get to do it
nearly as much as I want to. I'm a huge sports fan, so
I'll probably be in front of the TV on most Sundays.
I'm not sparkling-clean neat, but I'll keep all my
mess to a minimum, and to my room at the very least.

I tend to do most of my studying at home, and I'll
keep all noise to a minimum, especially if you're
studying too. I usually study w/ some quiet music, so
while I prefer a quiet environment when I'm studying,
I don't need complete silence.

If you are interested, please e-mail me at philonous815 at gmail dot com