Official University of Iowa Class of 2010!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gdbaby

Prettier than before
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Here it is. Let me be the first to post on the "official" Hawkeye med thread! Yippie!

Members don't see this ad.

I will join you. Again, congrats gd. At least the waiting is over and you've gotten some iowa city love.

Have you already decided that iowa is your choice, Baylor? Have you been accepted to any of your Texas schools. I went to Baylor for debate camp in high school. Got my grad degree from SMU. Used to live in Wichita Falls. Boy, I never realized that Texas was such a big part of my life!

I am off to write my letter to Iowa saying "I'm in!"

Members don't see this ad :)
How did I know that you would be the one to start this thread!! I'll join, although I'm not positive I'll be going to U of I.

titoincali said:
How did I know that you would be the one to start this thread!! I'll join, although I'm not positive I'll be going to U of I.
I am running out of threads as outlets for my neuroses! If I get into Colorado, it will be hard to pass htat up--being my state school. But I was very impressed with Iowa. I went there for my first two years of undergrad, so if we both end up there consider me your official tour guide!

Not positive yet Gdbaby. I don't hear back from Texas schools until Feb. 1. Right now my super top choice is UT-Southwestern. If i get in there, its going to be really hard for me to go to other places (aside from the fact that its a great school...instate tuition is dirt cheap in Texas). Who knows....i'll know for a fact in a couple of months.

BaylorGuy said:
Not positive yet Gdbaby. I don't hear back from Texas schools until Feb. 1. Right now my super top choice is UT-Southwestern. If i get in there, its going to be really hard for me to go to other places (aside from the fact that its a great school...instate tuition is dirt cheap in Texas). Who knows....i'll know for a fact in a couple of months.
I hear you. I spent some time at Southwestern when the only health insurance i had was "emergency." They were great. I guess we all just twiddle our thumbs until the spring....

I will be attending Iowa next Fall. I have lived in Iowa City the last 4 years, so if anyone has any questions about the area, feel free to PM me.

baseball37 said:
I will be attending Iowa next Fall. I have lived in Iowa City the last 4 years, so if anyone has any questions about the area, feel free to PM me.
I'll be there for Christmas. My husband's uncle lives in Grant Wood's old house on Court St, half a block down from Summit.

Congrats guys (and girls)! Can't wait to join you in Iowa City next fall, and finally meet everyone!

Pismo

Pismo said:
Congrats guys (and girls)! Can't wait to join you in Iowa City next fall, and finally meet everyone!

Pismo
Congrats Pismo!

Is anyone going to go to the "Get Aquainted" weekend in April? Still no news from Colorado for me so I am planning on attending.

gdbaby said:
Congrats Pismo!

Is anyone going to go to the "Get Aquainted" weekend in April? Still no news from Colorado for me so I am planning on attending.

Hi gdbaby,

I am considering bringing my wife and 15 month old out to see how they like the town. How about you?

Eric

Anyone planning on participating in thier research summer program? Seems like a good deal-could count towards research honors or something on your degree and you're very well compensated. I'm not sure if I'll be attending Iowa, although I could be swayed since they offered me a really nice scholarship!

Members don't see this ad :)
Ashanti Rock said:
Anyone planning on participating in thier research summer program? Seems like a good deal-could count towards research honors or something on your degree and you're very well compensated. I'm not sure if I'll be attending Iowa, although I could be swayed since they offered me a really nice scholarship!

If I stay at Iowa then yes, I will be doing the research program in my current lab. I would say look into mentors and background early if you have time so that when the April deadline approaches, you won't have to worry so much about finding a project/mentor.

I've been in and at Iowa for 5.5 yrs, so if anyone has any questions, feel free to PM me.

SCSlug said:
Hi gdbaby,

I am considering bringing my wife and 15 month old out to see how they like the town. How about you?

Eric
I'll probably be coming with my husband and 21-month old son. We can dump the kids off with a babysitter (my husband's uncle lives in town and can hook us up) while we have some cocktails and get to know each other!

Ashanti Rock said:
I can't do it this summer since I have to teach in Colorado, but I am seriously considering the Research Distinction track. I too got a nice scholarship which has allowed me a big sigh of relief. Aaaahhhhh.

jrae said:
If I stay at Iowa then yes, I will be doing the research program in my current lab. I would say look into mentors and background early if you have time so that when the April deadline approaches, you won't have to worry so much about finding a project/mentor.

I've been in and at Iowa for 5.5 yrs, so if anyone has any questions, feel free to PM me.
Okay jrae, you seem down on Iowa. Yes, you have been there a long time, but you have not been there with me! I so greatly change people's perspectives on Iowa that they are considering me for a tourism billboard campaign. We are working out the details regarding the tassled-bustier currently, but it is almost a done deal. Start looking for my face on billboards outside the I-80 truck stop and the Amana Colonies within the next few weeks.

Ashanti Rock said:

Hi All,

I am most definitely interested in the Pre-M1 and Post M1 summer research opportunities. I think I will try for the research distinction tract even though I am one of those rare Medical students with no previous history in research. I have already begun to look into emailing mentors from the database to find a suitable position. I have yet to get any emails back but it has only been a week. They could still be on break?

SC Slug

Bumping since there are some new acceptances today!

I'm a 4th year med student at Iowa. If anyone has any questions post them here. As a native Iowan and 8 year resident of Iowa City, I know a few things about the area/school.
If you guys choose to come to Iowa, I think you will be very happy here.

Hawkeye MD said:
I'm a 4th year med student at Iowa. If anyone has any questions post them here. As a native Iowan and 8 year resident of Iowa City, I know a few things about the area/school.
If you guys choose to come to Iowa, I think you will be very happy here.

Hi Hawkeye MD,

Thanks for dropping into this thread. Can you tell me if most of your clinical rotations were at the VA and the hospital on campus or where there away rotations requiring you to stay outside of Iowa City? Also, some schools block the courses into the morning leaving the afternoon to study. How does UI deal with this?

SC Slug

SCSlug said:
Hi Hawkeye MD,

Thanks for dropping into this thread. Can you tell me if most of your clinical rotations were at the VA and the hospital on campus or where there away rotations requiring you to stay outside of Iowa City? Also, some schools block the courses into the morning leaving the afternoon to study. How does UI deal with this?

SC Slug

I had 4 weeks of family practice in Davenport, where housing is provided, and 4 weeks of FP in Cedar Rapids, which is a 20 minute drive. All other rotations were at UIHC. You can request to do some of the core rotations in Des Moines.
Afternoon lectures are rare, but during the first 2 years there are many small groups that meet during the afternoons. The spring semester of the 2nd year has lecture daily from 8-12 and afternoons off to study.

Hawkeye MD said:
I had 4 weeks of family practice in Davenport, where housing is provided, and 4 weeks of FP in Cedar Rapids, which is a 20 minute drive. All other rotations were at UIHC. You can request to do some of the core rotations in Des Moines.
Afternoon lectures are rare, but during the first 2 years there are many small groups that meet during the afternoons. The spring semester of the 2nd year has lecture daily from 8-12 and afternoons off to study.

Thanks for the reply.

Yeah, I may be kind of down on Iowa, but it's not because of the shcool or program, but because I really want out of Iowa (the only reason I've applied somewhere else this round is because of personal reasons). Like a few other people, I'm a native resident and have lived within an hour of Iowa City my whole life. Iowa City is a cool town, and while I was raised in the midwest, I would rather live somewhere a little more senic, and with a little less snow....I am not a fan of the cold......if I'm going to have to deal with snow, there better be mountains involved!!

GD, I can't wait to see those bilboards. I'm sure they will be a hoot. It should make my drive between school and my home town more exciting......

One word of advice to all you prospective apartment dwellers, (really two), West Side, and if you are going to rent avoid the following companies: AUR (I think they have recently changed names....mostly east side apartments) and CAMPUS VIEW. I can state from personal experiences that the owner of campus view is an a$$. I had to take him to court to get a decent chunk of my deposit back.

For those of you from Iowa:

I'm not a resident of Iowa, what are things that you like about the city...how would you sell the location to someone from out of state? I loved the school, but I'm not sure about the location. Thanks!

Sooo about Iowa...its not a bad place and it really gets a bad rap. The info i can provide is from the perspective of a 22 year old traditional student so I don't know how much it will interest the majority of posters in here at the moment since you all seem to be married with kids (which is honestly scaring me a bit). So Iowa City is a college town nothing more nothing less...the population literally doubles on football weekends...there are lots and lots of 20 somethings and a lot of things downtown are geared towards this age group. Lots of cheap pizza joints and bars that cater to the undergrads...but the ped mall adds a bit more upscale artsy stuff. Overall downtown I think is a great place to grab some food or get a drink as there are places to fit just about anyones tastes. As far as shopping goes everything you need is close...the Coralville mall has everything you find in suburban malls throughout the country and a few miles up the road in williamsburg there is a tanger outlet center deal...so while the town is 60,000 its not like you have to go to Des Moines to go shopping (and truthfully until the new Jordan Creek mall opened in Des Moines many people from the capital flocked to coralville). So I've lived in New York City for a bit last summer and I know lots of people want to be in a town that is very culturally diverse with plenty of things to do. Ok Iowa City isn't going to offer all that Manhattan has....but what is there from football games at Kinnick (which are a blast) to concerts sponsored by the university to hearing up and coming bands at gabes (when I was in high school John Mayer and OAR made a stop at Gabes on the same bill before anyone had heard their names...and to my knowledge gabes and the yacht club still have great live music) you can actually afford to go do these things because housing is nice, widely available and inexpensive. It is a perfect place to live if you are spending most of your time studying because if you need a taste of the big city Chicago is not far...but you don't have to deal with the traffic and the cost that makes living in a big city suck...so all and all Iowa and Iowa City aren't bad places...here you will have all you need to be happy for four years and for the amount of money you will spend there probably isn't a better education available for the money.

Thanks snobored18! That's kind of what I'm looking for. I'm kind of in between a trad and a non-trad, as I graduated 2004 (but not married, and no kids). I just want to get a better feel for the place. I really didn't see too much of the city during my interview visit, because I stayed in Cedar Rapids, so anything...any insight, whatever, really helps. Also, does anyone have any information on the "Get Acquainted" day in April...I mean, what is it exactly and is anyone planning on going?

Scarlett27 said:
I'm kind of in between a trad and a non-trad, as I graduated 2004 (but not married, and no kids).

Sounds like me! Although hopefully I'll have a quais kid in the form of a dog next year. I need someone to make sure I get out and exercise every day.....

As I live in IC, I will most likely be attending the day in April. I got the impression that it was an opportunity to look for places to live (if not familiar with the area) and for the school to court those students they accepted early.

I'll be at the accepted student day in April...as I see its just an informal opportunity for us to get to meet our class and maybe make a few connections for roommates, to find out who is doing a pre-m1 summer fellowship etc. so we can start forming relationships and such. And I think it also gives them a chance to see what their incoming class is going to look at...regardless I am glad they do it...Iowa is the only school I've been accepted to that runs this sort of thing and its a great idea especially for those who are not from Iowa City...Scarlett if you have time and the money do a second visit so you can see Iowa City...Cedar Rapids kinda sucks and shouldn't be confused for IC...you definitely should check out what is across the river

Can't wait to see you all in April. I will be there! Don't think I am doing the pre-M1 research (I have to teach summer school in Denver), but maybe you all will talk to me anyway?

gdbaby said:
Can't wait to see you all in April. I will be there! Don't think I am doing the pre-M1 research (I have to teach summer school in Denver), but maybe you all will talk to me anyway?

Of Course....got to hear all about these bilboard designs to draw tourism.

gdbaby is out on the pre-M1 summer research anyone else thinking about doing it????? if so I am mandating friday night gatherings down at bojames (gdbaby we will convince them to install wireless so you can partake via SDN from CO while prepping for you summer school courses)... just a thought cause the summer research fellowship experience is never complete without a little bit of drinking...and of course a lot of bitching about how tedious research can be...

snobored18 said:
gdbaby is out on the pre-M1 summer research anyone else thinking about doing it????? if so I am mandating friday night gatherings down at bojames (gdbaby we will convince them to install wireless so you can partake via SDN from CO while prepping for you summer school courses)... just a thought cause the summer research fellowship experience is never complete without a little bit of drinking...and of course a lot of bitching about how tedious research can be...

I'd have to vote for the Q though. Or George's.

jrae said:
I'd have to vote for the Q though. Or George's.

hahaha...Q is good...just no summit or union unless it is to initiate non-iowans...good times

snobored18 said:
hahaha...Q is good...just no summit or union unless it is to initiate non-iowans...good times

Hey...I'm a non-iowan...so what's the difference between those other places?

Scarlett27 said:
Hey...I'm a non-iowan...so what's the difference between those other places?

U-bar (the union) is the self proclaimed largest bar in the big ten...it used to be a really really sketchy place with a private party room for the football team etc. etc. and always was ranked by playboy as a top bar but I haven't been in the place since it went under new ownership...the summit is just a classic undergrad bar...if you end up at Iowa I'm sure you'll get the pleasure of experiencing both of these fine establishments...

Aaaahhh I remember listening to music at Gabes. What a great little dive bar. I am a big fan of the Sanctuary too. Good place to chill. I got married in Iowa City (my uncle lives in Grant Wood's former house) and really can't wait to go back.

BTW: my son is all decked out in Iowa gear today. Iowa t-shirt, Iowa sweatshirt and his "Iowa" Nikes (they are black and yellow so he calls then his Iowa shoes).

gdbaby said:
Aaaahhh I remember listening to music at Gabes. What a great little dive bar. I am a big fan of the Sanctuary too. Good place to chill. I got married in Iowa City (my uncle lives in Grant Wood's former house) and really can't wait to go back.

The sanctuary is nice. I've know a few friends to play in Jazz combos there over the years. Plus you gotta appreciate the huge beer selection (domestic and import).

For all the non-iowa folk, you'll learn about the different bars once you hit Iowa City :D . There are the music bars (Gabes, The Green Room, the Q), the pool halls (Q, College Street), the undergrad (Most downtown bars ie summit, field house, union, jakes, etc....) and the others (georges, atlas, dublin, etc....). There's a bar for almost every crowd. :thumbup:

The key is there is plenty of stuff to do throughout Iowa City...so anyone counting Iowa out because you think you need to live in Chicago, NYC or LA...I would be willing to bet you end up doing more things in Iowa City because you can actually afford to get out without having to eat ramen for a month...Iowa City is a good time...and there is John's Grocery...it has one of the largest selection of beer around...mmmmm stella and magic hat #7

My uncle has an account at John's Grocery so every time we are in town, we head over to John's as say "put it on the Hayes account." Fun. We got all our alcohol for our wedding from there!

I actually posted to say that I love being on this list-serv from Carver! Just when I forget about being accepted at iowa, POP comes a message about scholarships or summer research or something. I don't know how many schools do this, but I love it!

gdbaby do you know whats even better than the list-serv...the fact that through ISIS and your hawk ID you can get yourself a so and so @uiowa.edu e-mail address...i went ahead and had debra send my list-serv to that so I can keep all my "iowa" stuff seperate (some other schools are running list-servs but they aren't as helpful)...oh and im soooo jealous your uncle has a tab at John's...i think having a tab there (or being related to someone who does) would be the end of me...

Looks like I'm 100% going to Iowa now. Sorry Loyola, I can't wait for you to decide and offer me an interview in March. My dad and I just put an offer on a sweet condo (hope I'm not jinxing myself now.....). Soooooo excited. :D I get to have a dog now and only have a 15 minute walk to school!!

Now if only the Philosophy department will let me get my MA while I get my MD......

jrae which condos did you end up settling on...i'm torn between the old grandview apartments (unbelievably close) or putting a little bit more money in and living in the peninsula (extremely nice..short drive though)...i have to wait to see what my aid package looks like before I decide...but it would be interesting to hear where others are looking to live

Anybody in here who deffered from last year??? If so, do you know if you accept the defferance (after your year), is it binding?

Snobored, Grandview. I put the offer (actually my dad did) on the last 2 bdrm that will be done this year. My info was that they were not going to have anymore 2 bdrm ones complete until at least Aug 2007 or later. They have several 1 bdrms left though. FYI (for anyone else reading or interested) these condos are like 3-4 blocks away. And newly remoldeled. They were really nice. Personally I prefer being close to campus. I also looked at the Rushmore, cascade, and Samoa units, all of which were right off of a bus line.

Baylor Guy: When I called last spring, I checked on this very issue. Unlike most school, the deferrment IS NOT binding. If you confirm by March first, then I don't know. If you have an acceptance from your dream school, congrats!!

jrae said:
Snobored, Grandview. I put the offer (actually my dad did) on the last 2 bdrm that will be done this year. My info was that they were not going to have anymore 2 bdrm ones complete until at least Aug 2007 or later. They have several 1 bdrms left though. FYI (for anyone else reading or interested) these condos are like 3-4 blocks away. And newly remoldeled. They were really nice. Personally I prefer being close to campus. I also looked at the Rushmore, cascade, and Samoa units, all of which were right off of a bus line.

I see...I think I actually looked at the two bedroom that is now yours...is it the 742 square foot one in the basement of the 500 building...hahaha I feel really stalkerish but I just looked at that place like 2 weeks ago...I definitely think Grandview would be a great place to live but until I hear from Mayo I just can't make the commitment (but I just might if another 2 bedroom somehow comes back on the market...and as you said its gonna be awhile). Thats awesome though congrats on getting the place.

snobored18 said:
I see...I think I actually looked at the two bedroom that is now yours...is it the 742 square foot one in the basement of the 500 building...hahaha I feel really stalkerish but I just looked at that place like 2 weeks ago...I definitely think Grandview would be a great place to live but until I hear from Mayo I just can't make the commitment (but I just might if another 2 bedroom somehow comes back on the market...and as you said its gonna be awhile). Thats awesome though congrats on getting the place.

That would be the one!! Actually, as my dad is purchasing it (long story, but was way cheaper for me and he was supplying the down payment anyway) and as he lives in SD, the paper work was "in transit" via the fax this afternoon. THe offer should be on the desk of the agent tomorrow morning. So hopefully it will be mine. Otherwise I might go for the one bedroom. I hope I'm not jinxing myself my thinking it's already mine......

Good luck on Mayo. If my MCAT had been better, I would have been shooting for Mayo. One of my good friends is on a full tuition scholarship there.

well I officially have my place to live!! So exciting......now I just ahve to sit here for three more months thinking about what color I should paint my living dwelling.......