Official University of Iowa Class of 2010!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
jrae said:
Snobored, Grandview. I put the offer (actually my dad did) on the last 2 bdrm that will be done this year. My info was that they were not going to have anymore 2 bdrm ones complete until at least Aug 2007 or later. They have several 1 bdrms left though. FYI (for anyone else reading or interested) these condos are like 3-4 blocks away. And newly remoldeled. They were really nice. Personally I prefer being close to campus. I also looked at the Rushmore, cascade, and Samoa units, all of which were right off of a bus line.

Baylor Guy: When I called last spring, I checked on this very issue. Unlike most school, the deferrment IS NOT binding. If you confirm by March first, then I don't know. If you have an acceptance from your dream school, congrats!!
A far number of MSTP students live over around Samoa and the various units off of Westwinds. I lived there first year and the commute was very reasonable (10 minutes by bus). I'm not sure if it's still open, but I'm going to rent half a duplex next year right beside Kinnick stadium, and I think the landlord said the other side was still open (4 bedroom, reasonable rent, and he prefers renting to med / law students). Let me know if anyone is still looking and I can send you his contact info.

Members don't see this ad.

Congrats Jrae!!! That's so exciting. My hubbie and I are still trying to figure out where we want to live in IC. Right now we own a 1920's brick bungalow in Denver and I wouls love to have another old house. My dream would be to live near my uncle who lives in Grant Wood's former house on Court Street a half a block down from Summit, but those are a LITTLE bit pricey. I would love to get your realtor's email.

gdbaby said:
Congrats Jrae!!! That's so exciting. My hubbie and I are still trying to figure out where we want to live in IC. Right now we own a 1920's brick bungalow in Denver and I wouls love to have another old house. My dream would be to live near my uncle who lives in Grant Wood's former house on Court Street a half a block down from Summit, but those are a LITTLE bit pricey. I would love to get your realtor's email.

I know what you mean, downtown is sooooo expensive. I used to live on the corner of Jefferson and Dubuque as an undergrad. I will send you a PM with my agents info. I like the fact my new place is a modern interior with a "historic" brick exterior. I think the original building was built in 1952. It's really cute.

BTW is anyone else having any problems accessing SDN every now and then? I wasn't able to connect earlier this morning at all........

Members don't see this ad :)
Keeping the Iowa thread alive...anyone got any news???

snobored18 said:
Keeping the Iowa thread alive...anyone got any news???

I officially signed on my condo.......
I can't wait till May first......

No real news although I can't wait until April so I can meet everyone and buy my son a new Iowa sweatshirt (he's growing out of his now). I already have him saying I-O-Waaaaaa and "Go Hawkeyes!"

I have probably my last two interviews in this whole crazy process next week (Colorado on 3/3 and Rush on 3/6). If any of you are able to draw some comparisons for me b/w Iowa and these schools, I'd appreciate it. Colorado's stats pages are always comparing themselves to Iowa--they must be pretty similar.

gdbaby said:
No real news although I can't wait until April so I can meet everyone and buy my son a new Iowa sweatshirt (he's growing out of his now). I already have him saying I-O-Waaaaaa and "Go Hawkeyes!"

I have probably my last two interviews in this whole crazy process next week (Colorado on 3/3 and Rush on 3/6). If any of you are able to draw some comparisons for me b/w Iowa and these schools, I'd appreciate it. Colorado's stats pages are always comparing themselves to Iowa--they must be pretty similar.

Don't know much about CO but from what I've heard Rush is not that great.

I'm still waiting to hear my financial aid before i make a final decision. I still like Iowa and its at the top of my list, but i think $$$$$ is going to be my big factor.

Hey iowa people, I think a few of us got deleted from the wall of fame. if you care.

In other news, if Alford leaves, I'm leaving.

gdbaby said:

Thats weird Colorado is comparing itself to Iowa...all I have to say is the big ten is soooo much better than the big 12...but I think both med school are great. Best of luck with your CU and Rush interviews...

As an alum of Iowa and not so big of a fan of CU's sports program, I would have to agree with the Big 10 v. Big 12 comparison. Although Alford is a pretty smarmy guy too (sorry dbhvt, but I can't excuse his behavior when his players were accused of assult even if the bball program is doing well).

In Alford's defense Peirre Pierce was already booted off the team when he decided to assault his ex-girlfriend and burglarize her place in West Des Moines...but your right Iowa messed up bad on Pierce's first offense in 2002...how he got off with the lesser charge no one will ever know but it saved Bowlsby and Alford's butts big time...but who cares about iowa basketball when you've got Kirk Ferentz and the Hawkeye football team to cheer for...

gdbaby, you're right, it was lightfoot. But I decided to go on my own internet search of 'totally nude dancing', and thought I would post here for the other IA folks. (see http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=259789&page=3)

This is really the funniest Iowa moment I can think of.

Needless to say, Vilsack won.

Take It Off, Take It All Off

Republican Jim Ross Lightfoot, candidate for governor of Iowa, ran an ad accusing his Democratic rival, Tom Vilsack, of supporting nude dancing.

Using a montage of exotic dancers, flashing lights and neon signs, the ad pointed to a 1996 committee vote Vilsack had cast as a state senator. The ad's voice-over righteously intoned: "Tom Vilsack thinks we need totally nude dancing in our neighborhoods."

http://www.highbeam.com/library/doc...1845&ctrlInfo=Round18:Mode18c:DocG:Result&ao=

Members don't see this ad :)
gdbaby said:
As an alum of Iowa and not so big of a fan of CU's sports program, I would have to agree with the Big 10 v. Big 12 comparison. Although Alford is a pretty smarmy guy too (sorry dbhvt, but I can't excuse his behavior when his players were accused of assult even if the bball program is doing well).

Pierce = smarmy (worse actually.. can't think of a good word)
Alford = gullible boy from indiana
Bowlsby = smarmy

gdbaby, did you ever go to the foxhead when you were at iowa?

As we get closer and I start making April travel plans I was wondering if I could get a show of virtual hands as to who will be at Iowa on April 22 for their Get Acquainted Day.

gdbaby said:
As we get closer and I start making April travel plans I was wondering if I could get a show of virtual hands as to who will be at Iowa on April 22 for their Get Acquainted Day.

I haven't heard anything from Iowa about Get Acquainted day....or maybe i looked over it...i'm not sure. I'd definitely like to go there....so, i guess count me in

gdbaby said:

I live here so I'll be there!

I should be in attendance...got the letter saying my premedical file has been closed and my admissions has been deemed final so i guess I'm in for sure...

Congratulations on everyone accepted to Iowa! I have been here for two years and it's a great school. If anyone is looking for a cheap place to live, I have a very nice 2 br/1 ba mobile home for sale- it's about the cheapest way to live in Iowa City ($225/mo plus utilites), and I'm only asking $6,000 (compared to a condo at ~$110k). I was accepted to Iowa and the school is awesome, but I am going to Missouri to be closer to family.

You can call 816-872-8092 if you're interested.

Iowa is cool because it has GDBaby! :cool:
Timmy sends his :love: to Iowa and all its folk!

TimmyTheWonderD said:
Iowa is cool because it has GDBaby! :cool:
Timmy sends his :love: to Iowa and all its folk!
Aaaawwww Timmy. I was wondering why you were on this thread! Shucks! They'll see how cool I am soon enough!

I too got my "complete" letter. A little vague, but I guess I am official. Snobored, did you also fill out your IVF? So does this letter mean they also have all of our financial aid info?

I never received a complete letter.......I know I'm in for sure 'cus my dual degree program set of a few red flags and I had to meet with Cathy Solow on Friday to explain things.

I filled out the IVF form as soon as I received it. I have not heard anything about my FA file being complete. I know that you can check the status of the forms on ISIS, but they can be a few weeks behind.

jrae, i used to live near there too...snobored, i'm pretty sure i know who you are - you're exercise science right?...what all schools are you all choosing iowa over, cause i lived there most of my life and went to iowa for undergrad, and am having a tough time deciding between iowa and univ. of south florida and univ. of florida (my parents live in south florida)?...i plan on livin in florida later, BUT iowa city is a great place to go to school and wouldn't mind being there another 4 years...congrats to all who will be at iowa, and maybe i'll see you in april, summer researchin, and august orientation!

snobored, if you are who i think you are (were in x-country, brother was/is a drill sargean in NC, etc?) and we both end up at carver instead of mayo, we gotta study together and mess with exercise science profs. like kregel who'll teach sections of our M1 classes...hit me up if this is you...

no dice jabster...im a west des moines kid who went to school OOS and played soccer, but definitely did my fair share of partying in the IC over the years...regardless if you end up at Iowa i'm game for messing with people...I take studying seriously but definitely not life...hope to see you back in IC this summer...we and all the summer pre-M1's need to live it up before M1 hits us like a ton of bricks....so let that serve as an invitation to all...this is of course contigent on mayo not appointing either of us though...i've got a feeling if i get in its gonna be late april....grrr

gdbaby said:
Aaaawwww Timmy. I was wondering why you were on this thread! Shucks! They'll see how cool I am soon enough!

I too got my "complete" letter. A little vague, but I guess I am official. Snobored, did you also fill out your IVF? So does this letter mean they also have all of our financial aid info?

I am sooo lazy when it comes to the financial aid crap...most of it has to do with the fact that I'm waiting on Mayo...i'm gonna wind up on the waitlist but right up there...I finally turned in my FAFSA yesterday, because I'm pretty sure that I'm gonna wind up at Iowa because I don't want to sweat it out on a waitlist...i'd check ISIS to see how your aid package is progressing...but im sure you're on top of that and have already checked it out..

snobored, you go to valley or dowling? i went to valley myself (class of 2000), as do lots of the kids at iowa COM...i practically knew half the ppl i saw on interview day from high school (or before) and/or college (at UI)...

JabsterL said:
snobored, you go to valley or dowling? i went to valley myself (class of 2000), as do lots of the kids at iowa COM...i practically knew half the ppl i saw on interview day from high school (or before) and/or college (at UI)...

ahh you DM kids......I'm from Grinnell, class of 2000, but had the joyful experiences of competing against some of the area's schools (Norwalk, Urbandale,Wakee(??)) in various high school activities.

Valley eh...I represent DHS...and I completely agree there are lots of old maroons and tigers at Iowa Med.

Jabster when did you interview...I've got a feeling we may have interviewed on the same date, because I think I remember meeting an exercise science major from UI who was from the west side of des moines who was out of college...it would be interesting to hear.

snobored18 said:
Jabster when did you interview...I've got a feeling we may have interviewed on the same date, because I think I remember meeting an exercise science major from UI who was from the west side of des moines who was out of college...it would be interesting to hear.

mid-november, if i remember correctly...whoo, it's been thousands of miles (and dollars) since...iowa had the worst interview day, but iowa city's just so comfy to me...

JabsterL said:
mid-november, if i remember correctly...whoo, it's been thousands of miles (and dollars) since...iowa had the worst interview day, but iowa city's just so comfy to me...

Damn...I interviewed early december...but now that I think about it close to half of my fellow interviewees were UI exercise science majors...it was crazy...i kinda hope some of those folks got in...the more chill iowans the better.

On another note those of you doing summer research what labs/groups are you headed to...i'm sticking with basic science in rad onc but it would be interesting to see where others are looking to go...

snobored18 said:
On another note those of you doing summer research what labs/groups are you headed to...i'm sticking with basic science in rad onc but it would be interesting to see where others are looking to go...

Current lab.....I work on the AdPSA immunotherapy project in the department of Urology. For those Iowans who see those commercials where they say "leading the way in Prostate Cancer treatment/research", I work in the lab that developed the AdPSA vector and has analyzed all of the clinical trial data.

Does anyone remember how long into the Iowa curriculum it is before you get clinical exposure (standardized patients or other forms)? Can M1s work at the mobile clinic? I am trying to decided between Colorado and Iowa, their 2nd look days are on the same day, so I just want to have a decision made soon!

Thanks for the help!

gdbaby said:
Does anyone remember how long into the Iowa curriculum it is before you get clinical exposure (standardized patients or other forms)? Can M1s work at the mobile clinic? I am trying to decided between Colorado and Iowa, their 2nd look days are on the same day, so I just want to have a decision made soon!

Thanks for the help!

I'm pretty sure they start stuff in the second year. I've noticed a bunch of my M2 friends walking around in white coats. But don't quote me......

Congrats on CO!

jrae said:
I'm pretty sure they start stuff in the second year. I've noticed a bunch of my M2 friends walking around in white coats. But don't quote me......

Congrats on CO!
Thanks! Tonight my hubby and I are going to open a bottle of wine and not stop drinking until we've made a decision! Seems like as useful a method as any other. So hard to make a decision based on one day where you were so nervous you didn't pay attention to anything anyway.

gdbaby said:

Thanks for the help!

A lot of the M1's work at the mobile clinic. As for patient exposure, the Foundations of Clinical Practice series (you have it every semester your first two years) gives you gradual clinical exposure. You learn to give a gerneral phsyical examination during the second semester, but I believe most of the simulated patient exposure starts in the third semester. A link to more curriculum information is below. Curriculum Content

baseball37 said:
A lot of the M1's work at the mobile clinic. As for patient exposure, the Foundations of Clinical Practice series (you have it every semester your first two years) gives you gradual clinical exposure. You learn to give a gerneral phsyical examination during the second semester, but I believe most of the simulated patient exposure starts in the third semester. A link to more curriculum information is below. Curriculum Content
Thanks Baseball! This was just what I was looking for!

baseball37 said:

I like your decision making process - my wife and I are doing the same this weekend too. Congrats on getting into the CO school.

Eric

SCSlug said:
I like your decision making process - my wife and I are doing the same this weekend too. Congrats on getting into the CO school.

Eric
Eric, I got your PM but I was waiting until I made my decision before emailing back! Sorry!

BTW: I found out about my Iowa scholarship about 3 weeks after my acceptance. I don't know if that helps you with your decision since I don't know if that is standard for all scholarships.

dante201 said:
Drum roll.....................
I am choosing Colorado. I hope someone from SDN gets my accpetance and that any of you get my scholarship! The decision is bittersweet but I think the right one for me and my family. Good luck everyone!!

jrae said:

Congrats on CO!

FYI.... Simulated patient experiences begin within a few weeks of starting your first semester. You will work with them to develop your patient interview skills. During the second semester you'll have three clinical shadowing experiences with physicians or other mid-level providers. So the patient interaction starts pretty early at Iowa.

Congrats on everyone's acceptances! See you in the fall.

Scarlett27 said:
For those of you from Iowa:

I'm not a resident of Iowa, what are things that you like about the city...how would you sell the location to someone from out of state? I loved the school, but I'm not sure about the location. Thanks!

iowa city is an easy place to live: no traffic (except football saturdays and for big bball games near the stadiums), people are so friendly, basically everything your typical college town contains - i'd call it a small major college town, so like the whole city (iowa city + coralville) is about the university, all 4 seasons - fall with brown leaves and good big ten football, snow and cold winters, nice springs, and then humid summer, good mix of bars and clubs (nothing too big/grand, but it has what you'll need i'm sure), a big mall nearby in coralville and a smaller one in downtown IC...if you want city life, chitown is like 3 hours away and des moines (my hometown) 1.5 hours (not a city per se, but you know...) The main draw to me is how easy life is: the schedule at iowa is so "easy" compared to other schools where you have to drive 40 minutes through traffic to get to the major hospital...here, everything you need is located right next to each other, and the schedule isn't as brutal as other schools which think of training med students as more of a "medical boot camp"...hope this helps - if you have any other questions, don't hesitate to ask :) ...where are you from again scarlett?

JabsterL said:
iowa city is an easy place to live: no traffic (except football saturdays and for big bball games near the stadiums), people are so friendly, basically everything your typical college town contains - i'd call it a small major college town, so like the whole city (iowa city + coralville) is about the university, all 4 seasons - fall with brown leaves and good big ten football, snow and cold winters, nice springs, and then humid summer, good mix of bars and clubs (nothing too big/grand, but it has what you'll need i'm sure), a big mall nearby in coralville and a smaller one in downtown IC...if you want city life, chitown is like 3 hours away and des moines (my hometown) 1.5 hours (not a city per se, but you know...) The main draw to me is how easy life is: the schedule at iowa is so "easy" compared to other schools where you have to drive 40 minutes through traffic to get to the major hospital...here, everything you need is located right next to each other, and the schedule isn't as brutal as other schools which think of training med students as more of a "medical boot camp"...hope this helps - if you have any other questions, don't hesitate to ask :) ...where are you from again scarlett?

Hey Jabster,

Thanks for the response...very helpful. I'm from Arizona, but attended undergrad in the midwest. I'm sure I'll PM you with some other questions, but right now I'm trying to look for a place to live. Any suggestions? I'll be at the April "get acquainted day", so I'm planning on looking for a place while I'm there. Thanks again.

Scarlett27 said:
Hey Jabster,

Thanks for the response...very helpful. I'm from Arizona, but attended undergrad in the midwest. I'm sure I'll PM you with some other questions, but right now I'm trying to look for a place to live. Any suggestions? I'll be at the April "get acquainted day", so I'm planning on looking for a place while I'm there. Thanks again.

Check out the postings on ICON (I actually have a room for rent on the message board). It depends on if you are wanting to buy or rent. If you are wanting to rent, I would suggest checking out Seville, Emerald Court, oakcrest, Melrose Ct. I would avoid renting from Campus View apartments (mostly east side) as the landlord is not a nice person.

Buying: Condos-- Grandview court, benton mannor (Close, not as nice as some of the new units), westwinds, woodside dr
houses: I'd google map the location.

JabsterL said:
The main draw to me is how easy life is......the schedule isn't as brutal as other schools which think of training med students as more of a "medical boot camp"

Hmm.... Do you have a lot of experience as a medical student to make this observation? I can tell you first-hand that you'll be kept quite busy. The first semester (w/labs and PPD groups) you won't go home much before mid-to-late afternoon. The second semester gives you a little more breathing room. But it's no cake walk. So be careful throwing words around like "easy."

Also, I noticed you mentioned Prof. Kregel in a previous post. He only gives about 2-3 lectures and they were boring. Exercise science professors don't challenge the mind all that much.

Good luck. See you in the fall. Enjoy your summer!

91Bravo said:
Hmm.... Do you have a lot of experience as a medical student to make this observation? I can tell you first-hand that you'll be kept quite busy. The first semester (w/labs and PPD groups) you won't go home much before mid-to-late afternoon. The second semester gives you a little more breathing room. But it's no cake walk. So be careful throwing words around like "easy."

Also, I noticed you mentioned Prof. Kregel in a previous post. He only gives about 2-3 lectures and they were boring. Exercise science professors don't challenge the mind all that much.

it's not that medical school at iowa is easy (if i gave that impression, i apologize - no medical school is easy) -- it's that it's an overall easier day going to iowa than to other schools, you don't have to worry about crime as much, i've gone running outside all times of the day and you know you're safe, people are friendlier wherever you go in iowa than in other states (trust me, i've lived in many), everything you need (school, hospitals, and otherwise) is located close by, so except for a few away rotations you don't need to drive more than 5 miles a day throughout your 4 years if you don't want to, and i suppose it's more laid back in general...i esp. like how you're not surrounded by intellectual snobs from the Northeast...being busy with schoolwork has nothing to do with it - every med school has that - it's how it's easier and friendlier overall when you're NOT in class....some people like that, others prefer a more city/big buildings/ride the cab or a train lifestyle - it's a matter of personal preference of course...

91Bravo said:

Hey bravo, just curious, how many ppl from iowa exercise science are in your class...i know bridget and beth, but who else?

JabsterL said:
Hey bravo, just curious, how many ppl from iowa exercise science are in your class...i know bridget and beth, but who else?

What we individually majored isn't often discussed. So I don't know how many exercise science types there are. But I do know Beth and Bridget.