Official University of Iowa Class of 2010!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
91Bravo said:
What we individually majored isn't often discussed. So I don't know how many exercise science types there are. But I do know Beth and Bridget.

nm, i figured it out from beth: tom and aaron also...thanks anyways

Members don't see this ad.

JabsterL said:
i esp. like how you're not surrounded by intellectual snobs from the Northeast...

Hahaha thats the best part about the midwest...and jabster I know what you are talking about when you say Iowa is an "easier" place to go to school. Mayo the other place I'm considering has double the amount of lecture time a day plus the labs and small group time so they can start clinical rotations during second year to make way for the 4 month required research component that is in their curriculum...so even academically Iowa's lecture schedule is more relaxed for sure (notice I didn't say more rigorous or "easy" just different)...not to mention not having to deal with the hassle of commuting to and from school...or dealing with a bunch of insane east coasters who think Iowa is that state with all the potatoes...

In another note I really wish i could start looking for a place in Iowa City...anyone currently living in IC know anything about the parking situation, I'm thinking of living in the pennisula lofts off dubuque street which would mean I'd need to take the 5-7 minute drive each day and i know you can't park in the commuter lots if you live in the IC/coralville city limits? Anyone got any suggestions or should I just bail on buying a place and just try to get a rental close by going with some other chill med school folks (which I'm hoping exist...I can't succeed in school without relaxing and doing some partying here and there). Oh well I won't worry any of this until after April 22nd...by then I should know my fate...

snobored18 said:
Hahaha thats the best part about the midwest...and jabster I know what you are talking about when you say Iowa is an "easier" place to go to school. Mayo the other place I'm considering has double the amount of lecture time a day plus the labs and small group time so they can start clinical rotations during second year to make way for the 4 month required research component that is in their curriculum...so even academically Iowa's lecture schedule is more relaxed for sure (notice I didn't say more rigorous or "easy" just different)...not to mention not having to deal with the hassle of commuting to and from school...or dealing with a bunch of insane east coasters who think Iowa is that state with all the potatoes...

In another note I really wish i could start looking for a place in Iowa City...anyone currently living in IC know anything about the parking situation, I'm thinking of living in the pennisula lofts off dubuque street which would mean I'd need to take the 5-7 minute drive each day and i know you can't park in the commuter lots if you live in the IC/coralville city limits? Anyone got any suggestions or should I just bail on buying a place and just try to get a rental close by going with some other chill med school folks (which I'm hoping exist...I can't succeed in school without relaxing and doing some partying here and there). Oh well I won't worry any of this until after April 22nd...by then I should know my fate...

dude, which state are you a resident of again?...i know i put iowa over mayo for me, but i'm just curious why you do the same?...i'm guessin the boredom that is rochester, MN, is one big reason...

Members don't see this ad :)
JabsterL said:
dude, which state are you a resident of again?...i know i put iowa over mayo for me, but i'm just curious why you do the same?...i'm guessin the boredom that is rochester, MN, is one big reason...

I'm an Iowa resident...my decision is really based on my preference for Iowa City and having a larger class where there are more likely to be some folks that study their asses off but know how to have a good time...I don't need to repeat undergrad for the next four years, but with a 42 person class and Mayo's tendency to take a lot of married and non-trad students I sort of feel as if my social life would be non-exsistent and I would wind up very unhappy because I've got to have a way to release besides working out compulsively...at Iowa that isn't an issue or I hope it won't be because if it is I'm headed to KUMC where I know the students have fun and know that school still comes first...Jabster are you headed to Iowa for sure????

snobored18 said:
I'm an Iowa resident...my decision is really based on my preference for Iowa City and having a larger class where there are more likely to be some folks that study their asses off but know how to have a good time...I don't need to repeat undergrad for the next four years, but with a 42 person class and Mayo's tendency to take a lot of married and non-trad students I sort of feel as if my social life would be non-exsistent and I would wind up very unhappy because I've got to have a way to release besides working out compulsively...at Iowa that isn't an issue or I hope it won't be because if it is I'm headed to KUMC where I know the students have fun and know that school still comes first...Jabster are you headed to Iowa for sure????

No, i'm either going to baylor or iowa...i know iowa is the "ezier lifestyle, more comfy" choice, BUT even though it's kinda scary i will probably go to baylor...

JabsterL said:
No, i'm either going to baylor or iowa...i know iowa is the "ezier lifestyle, more comfy" choice, BUT even though it's kinda scary i will probably go to baylor...

What about the $$$$...I mean I know Baylor has that ridiculous endowment, but I'm assuming since its a private school and you won't qualify for any in-state discount Iowa's gonna be sooo much cheaper...if I end up at Mayo its gonna because Iowa f'ed up my aid package and made it a ridiculous business decision to head to IC...Houston is a cool place though, even though I can't stand Texans most of the time...

snobored18 said:
What about the $$$$...I mean I know Baylor has that ridiculous endowment, but I'm assuming since its a private school and you won't qualify for any in-state discount Iowa's gonna be sooo much cheaper...if I end up at Mayo its gonna because Iowa f'ed up my aid package and made it a ridiculous business decision to head to IC...Houston is a cool place though, even though I can't stand Texans most of the time...

well, i'll buy a condo and then after a year i'll be in-state and only pay 10K...even the 1st year as an out of stater would only cost 20K, so not THAT bad like other out of state/private schools you know?...going to baylor (like mayo) is all about the clinical experience, which at those 2 places you have more opportunities than at most other schools...i mean, don't get me wrong, iowa is a great school and if i choose it i'd be very happy but i think the clinical training is probably a notch below the TMC...yeah, i agree about texas as a whole...i actually lived in houston when i was younger and liked it, so that's another factor...

does anyone (current or class of 2010 students) know of good condos to purchase? what about good 1 bedroom apartments with parking?

thank you!

I purchased one at the new grandview court development. I believe they only have 1 bdrm units left though. Otherwise Benton Mannor is close, westwinds is off of the main bus lines, and Mormon Trek Village is quite nice and off of a bus line.

One bdrm apts: I lived in Seville, which was $560 and included water, heat and air conditioning. My electric bill has never been over $20.

I purchased one at the new grandview court development. I believe they only have 1 bdrm units left though. Otherwise Benton Mannor is close, westwinds is off of the main bus lines, and Mormon Trek Village is quite nice and off of a bus line.

thanks jrae! you mean, grandview court only has 1 bedroom apartments, or condos? are the others you mentioned (bentor mannor, westwinds, and mormon trek village) condos and/or apartments?

JabsterL said:

thanks jrae! you mean, grandview court only has 1 bedroom apartments, or condos? are the others you mentioned (bentor mannor, westwinds, and mormon trek village) condos and/or apartments?

I think the current grandview buildings don't have any units available...however they did just start listing the units in the complexes that have yet to be refurbished...as far as location and price goes grandview can't be beat...now I've got to make up my mind...Iowa has one heck of an aid package they need to meet soon or I'm headed up north...

snobored18 said:
I think the current grandview buildings don't have any units available...however they did just start listing the units in the complexes that have yet to be refurbished...as far as location and price goes grandview can't be beat...now I've got to make up my mind...Iowa has one heck of an aid package they need to meet soon or I'm headed up north...

hmm, i imagine you gotta choose btwn mayo and iowa...hmm, that's a tough one (no, it really is because lots of tradeoffs either way)

JabsterL said:
hmm, i imagine you gotta choose btwn mayo and iowa...hmm, that's a tough one (no, it really is because lots of tradeoffs either way)

Seriously one would think the decision would be easy...it really isn't...

Members don't see this ad :)
For all of you girls attending...what are you going to wear? The letter describing the day tells us to "dress comfortably." What does that mean? What do people normally wear on these days? Thanks!

Scarlett27 said:
For all of you girls attending...what are you going to wear? The letter describing the day tells us to "dress comfortably." What does that mean? What do people normally wear on these days? Thanks!

It depends on the weather. I was thinking of wearing a 3/4 length skirt and white blouse. If the weather is cold, I might just be in nice jeans and button down shirt. If I was dressing for comfort, I would be in my sweats, however I don't think that is quite what they had in mind......

jrae said:
It depends on the weather. I was thinking of wearing a 3/4 length skirt and white blouse. If the weather is cold, I might just be in nice jeans and button down shirt. If I was dressing for comfort, I would be in my sweats, however I don't think that is quite what they had in mind......

Yeah, I don't think our sweats would go over so well...

Scarlett27 said:
Yeah, I don't think our sweats would go over so well...

So what you are saying is we have to look presentable...ooooo...

Did anyone else get a FA packet in the mail. I'm a little confused on what the interest for the different loans are......

jrae said:
Did anyone else get a FA packet in the mail. I'm a little confused on what the interest for the different loans are......

Not sure, but when did you receive your FA packet? I've been able to view my award summary online for a couple of weeks, but haven't received anything in the mail.

Scarlett27 said:
Not sure, but when did you receive your FA packet? I've been able to view my award summary online for a couple of weeks, but haven't received anything in the mail.
I couldn't view my award on line. I got the info yesterday in the mail, however, I also live in Iowa city......

jrae said:
I couldn't view my award on line. I got the info yesterday in the mail, however, I also live in Iowa city......

Thanks, then mine should be in the mail soon.

Scarlett27 said:

Hey, can you tell me how you were able to see your award summary online. Is there a website?

For those of you in IC, IA now: How is everyone there? From the photos and video I saw, it looks awful. I hope you are all okay.

gdbaby said:
For those of you in IC, IA now: How is everyone there? From the photos and video I saw, it looks awful. I hope you are all okay.

I am in IC now (on the north side that was completely not hit) and surveyed the damage downtown last night. Although there are plenty buildings that are completely gutted as well as tons of damaged cars, trees , and power lines, no major injuries have yet been reported in IC. A lot of my friends apartments and houses were hit, but other then the need for emergency housing (which has been well provided) and the damage to many businesses, it seems that everyone is relatively ok.

See presscitizen.com for pictures.

Sorry, I feel like I don't belong on this forum since I'm applying this fall, but I was wondering if people have been getting their FA packages? How is FA at Iowa, especially for in-staters? But any OOS info would be great too. What about merit scholarships- do they give those mainly to out-of-staters? I would really appreciate any info you guys could offer. If you did get a merit scholarship (congrats!), would you mind giving some of your stats , when they told you, and if you are an in-stater? Thanks again, and any info from either in-state or OOS would be greatly appreciated!

tennisguy896 said:
Sorry, I feel like I don't belong on this forum since I'm applying this fall, but I was wondering if people have been getting their FA packages? How is FA at Iowa, especially for in-staters? But any OOS info would be great too. What about merit scholarships- do they give those mainly to out-of-staters? I would really appreciate any info you guys could offer. If you did get a merit scholarship (congrats!), would you mind giving some of your stats , when they told you, and if you are an in-stater? Thanks again, and any info from either in-state or OOS would be greatly appreciated!

I believe most merit only scholarships are given to out of staters (theses are determined by the admissions comittee), but there may be a few merit only scholarships reserved for instaters with incredible stats.

The overwhelming majority of scholarships and grants for in staters is awarded after financial need (determined with parents info too) is also considered. If you have financial need, you will have no problem getting aid to cover your complete cost of attendance. But some ,if not most, of your aid will likely be in the form of low interest and subsidized loans.

See here for more Iowa financial aid information.

Just thought I would bump, as no one has written anything in a while. Also, was wondering what you guys thought of Get Acquainted Day.

Are there any Iowa residents out there who are accepted to Iowa but are thinking about withdrawling? Just wondering if there is any chance the alternate list will start moving anytime soon.

hawks1 said:
Are there any Iowa residents out there who are accepted to Iowa but are thinking about withdrawling? Just wondering if there is any chance the alternate list will start moving anytime soon.

i might if i get accepted to one of a couple schools i'm WL'd at during the next month...

I'd just like to inform all those, that i am withdrawing on monday. Sorry guys, but its gonna cost way too much money for me. GL to those still on the waitlist and i'll see you on the flip side....possibly

hey y'all, does anybody know/have the sheet with the total semester hours for every course and every semester for the first 2 years cuz i really need this info to fill out my veterans benefits paperwork?

thanks!

JabsterL said:
hey y'all, does anybody know/have the sheet with the total semester hours for every course and every semester for the first 2 years cuz i really need this info to fill out my veterans benefits paperwork?

thanks!

PDF attached or you can log onto ICON to get to it.

Attachments

• Curriculum%202006-07.pdf
    8.6 KB · Views: 124
baseball37 said:
PDF attached or you can log onto ICON to get to it.

thanks bro - really appreciate that (couldn't remember where i last saw it)!

JabsterL said:
thanks bro - really appreciate that (couldn't remember where i last saw it)!

good luck to those lookin to get into iowa off the WL!!!