Official University of Michigan Class of 2010 Thread part 01

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
re the orientation, you might check the m1/m2 survival guide on the current students website... i'm not being sarcastic, i'm just too lazy to check right now

Members don't see this ad.

kupono3 said:
re the orientation, you might check the m1/m2 survival guide on the current students website... i'm not being sarcastic, i'm just too lazy to check right now
Ugh, I hope they don't make people play bonding games at med school orientations. I don't like forced bonding, unless it's of the chemical variety. :rolleyes:

phatib said:
anyone know what orientation is about? it's from aug 6-12... seems like a lot of time, my friend at utsw only had 1 day of orientation before classes
This is from the M1/M2 survival guide:

On the first day expect to show up early. Orientation check in will be bright and early. Don’t sleep
in on the first day! They will have breakfast for you, and afterwards, you will be welcomed to this
institution from various members of the faculty and administration, most notably Dean Lichter.
You’ll probably participate in a number of icebreaker activities and begin to meet all of your classmates.
Also expect to have your ID picture taken during the hospital and medical school tour.

On the second day you will encounter the challenge program. This is an attempt by the faculty
to establish team building skills for all of the incoming students. Don’t be too competitive. This is
a great time to meet new peers, while having a good time. Make sure to wear work out clothes
and tennis shoes because you will be tracking all over the woods. Also, you will be receiving CPR
training today. The training is a very low stress event that many of you will have experienced
before. In the evening, make sure to stop by the student organization fair and bring your checkbook!
This is the time to sign up for all of the student organizations you will participate in during
the year. Find out about every organization, and choose wisely so that you don’t overbook
your time during the school year.

On day three, you will learn about all of the logistics of training to be a medical professional. You
will hear all about HIPPA and other legal issues affecting the profession. Dr. Fantone will then
introduce you to the curriculum. It is only one year old, and they have no doubt made some
updates since you last checked the website. Finally, you will learn how to take your quizzes here
at the U of M. All first year quizzes are given online using the honor system. You will learn about
specifics on when and how to take your quizzes.

Members don't see this ad :)
dajimmers said:
This is from the M1/M2 survival guide:

On the first day expect to show up early. Orientation check in will be bright and early. Don’t sleep
in on the first day! They will have breakfast for you, and afterwards, you will be welcomed to this
institution from various members of the faculty and administration, most notably Dean Lichter.
You’ll probably participate in a number of icebreaker activities and begin to meet all of your classmates.
Also expect to have your ID picture taken during the hospital and medical school tour.

On the second day you will encounter the challenge program. This is an attempt by the faculty
to establish team building skills for all of the incoming students.
Don’t be too competitive. This is
a great time to meet new peers, while having a good time. Make sure to wear work out clothes
and tennis shoes because you will be tracking all over the woods. Also, you will be receiving CPR
training today. The training is a very low stress event that many of you will have experienced
before. In the evening, make sure to stop by the student organization fair and bring your checkbook!
This is the time to sign up for all of the student organizations you will participate in during
the year. Find out about every organization, and choose wisely so that you don’t overbook
your time during the school year.

On day three, you will learn about all of the logistics of training to be a medical professional. You
will hear all about HIPPA and other legal issues affecting the profession. Dr. Fantone will then
introduce you to the curriculum. It is only one year old, and they have no doubt made some
updates since you last checked the website. Finally, you will learn how to take your quizzes here
at the U of M. All first year quizzes are given online using the honor system. You will learn about
specifics on when and how to take your quizzes.
Uh huh, exactly as I thought, only worse. They actually make you PAY. :eek:

phatib said:
seems like this year is extraordinarily long too - 7 days - are we going camping or something

They're going to make us dress up like french maids and clean the anatomy lab with hand wipes...then we're going to have to chug a few pints of ethanol...followed by swallowing live goldfish...then we'll take turns listening to each other's hearts using really really cold stethoscopes...and of course, bowling. That's what it takes to be Mu Delta baby! :hardy:

* It's Official, raise your glasses * [Michigan here I come. Finally got confirmation of all my withdrawals, I can't wait to meet the rest of you guys! Holla back!

Ashanti

Last edited:
BDiesel said:
Yay for Ashanti and dajimmers! I'm so excited that you're going to be Wolverines! Now we just need to convince Q and kupono to join us...

I am writing this on my new U of M-approved laptop. Dell was having a great one day sale so I went ahead and got one. I stopped being grumpy about it. I just hope that we'll really need these things.
Hey now, I said I'm going to Michigan, never said anything about actually becoming a Wolverine!! You'll just have to wait and see if I succumb...

And I'm jealous, I want a laptop!!!

Ashanti Rock said:
* It's Official, raise your glasses * [Michigan here I come. Finally got confirmation of all my withdrawals, I can't wait to meet the rest of you guys! Holla back!

Ashanti
Congrats, Ashanti. :)

BTW, people, where are Sail and happy? I am pretty sure that they don't have finals any more, so what happened to them?

BDiesel said:
Yay for Ashanti and dajimmers! I'm so excited that you're going to be Wolverines! Now we just need to convince Q and kupono to join us...

I am writing this on my new U of M-approved laptop. Dell was having a great one day sale so I went ahead and got one. I stopped being grumpy about it. I just hope that we'll really need these things.

aww, I'm flattered... I'm glad I've made such a positive impression after my 10+ posts :laugh:

I don't know if it's U-M approved, and I don't care, but if anyone wants a good, relatively cheap computer, I'm very happy with my Dell XPS M140 - I got it for $1200 with my osu... wait... my oregon state discount... gotta remember that "osu" means something much more sinister in the midwest

QofQuimica said:
BTW, people, where are Sail and happy? I am pretty sure that they don't have finals any more, so what happened to them?
Still hungover... :eek:

:D

Anyone of the other in-staters still wrestling with the residency clarification form? I wish that when they sent out the email on April 18, that they'd mentioned that the standard turn-around time is 8-10 weeks! :eek: :thumbdown: I called last week to find out what was going on, and they pulled my file out of the pile to put a "rush" on it. Yesterday I was told that my decision letter might be mailed today, and that I'd need to return more paperwork once I receive it. I will definitely not be a certified Michigan resident my May 15. :(

I belive this will all be sorted out eventually, but it is a major annoyance right now!

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
BDiesel said:
Hi Sail,

That sucks. I got that e-mail too, but it was because I spent a year abroad. I went to the office and they fixed it for me so I didn't have to fill out that terrible form.

Did anyone else have the tuition deposit check cashed yet? Mine hasn't been and then I got paranoid about whether or not I have a spot in the class, so I e-mailed the admissions office and they haven't e-mailed me back either. I hope everything is fine because I declined my other acceptance and waitlist spots... :scared:

My check was cashed today. I sent it in so long ago, that I forgot about it altogether, and then had a mini-'omg...did somebody steal my identity'-crisis when I couldn't figure out why $200 had been deducted from my checking account...

WenfeiX said:
My check was cashed today. I sent it in so long ago, that I forgot about it altogether, and then had a mini-'omg...did somebody steal my identity'-crisis when I couldn't figure out why $200 had been deducted from my checking account...

Haha - I had mini identity crises constantly during the secondary check cashing process... :D Now when it actually does happen someday I'll assume I wrote a check and just don't recall why! Damn me!

OrganLibrarian said:
Haha - I had mini identity crises constantly during the secondary check cashing process... :D Now when it actually does happen someday I'll assume I wrote a check and just don't recall why! Damn me!

Hey guys...had a quick question (i'm waitlisted)..i heard from an accepted friend that umich overaccepted again this year...is this true at all?
Any comments?

maria219 said:
Hey guys...had a quick question (i'm waitlisted)..i heard from an accepted friend that umich overaccepted again this year...is this true at all?
Any comments?

I'm sorry, but I don't know the answer to that? Happydays??? :D :D :D

maria219 said:
Any comments?
I was told they accepted like 300 students for a class of, what, 180 or so? Can anyone confirm?

phatib said:
target class size of 170, last year 177 accepted so no one came off waitlist

Michigan has the most efficient/coolest admissions office, I'm sure that they haven't overaccepted again this year.

OrganLibrarian said:
I'm sorry, but I don't know the answer to that? Happydays??? :D :D :D

Hey Organ,

Are you 100% sure you're coming to Michigan?

Hey everyone! I have heard that if you TA you get your tuition paid or something. My information is very sketchy. Anyone have more info. I would be interested in something like this. Thanks.

maria219 said:
Any comments?
This year, last year, and in many previous years Michigan has "overaccepted" in that they give out more offers of admission than there are spots in the class. I do know that they gave out fewer offers this year than last year (I think by ~40) but until May 15, they won't know if that leaves us at, above, or below the 170 target class size.

phatib said:
how come no michigan for you? :)

I know that one... my boy's just not used to having seasons, being from NorCal and all :laugh:

no, actually, I know there's a better reason than that, just gotta give him a hard time

BDiesel said:

Awww :love: :love: :love: Thanks BDiesel, I'm feeling the Michigan love already!

BTW, speaking of computers, I want to get one but thought we didn't get the discounts till the fall, how did you get yours? Thanks!

Oh, While I don't know about convincing Q ;) , we can still try to convine kupono to join the party!

Chouster said:
Hey Organ,

Are you 100% sure you're coming to Michigan?

100%, baby! Kar-bomb will get to see four years of me!

Elastase said:
Michigan has the most efficient/coolest admissions office, I'm sure that they haven't overaccepted again this year.

I just got this from a PM from another waitlister:

I have some potentially bad news for us waitlisters. I do think the ADCOM is concerned about oversubscribing this year. I just got this from one of my friends who is a M1 this year:

'On the edge'
-Daniel Remick, M.D., Dean for Admissions

The first half of May is always an exciting time here at the admissions office. Similar to most medical schools, we accept more applicants than our class size. Historically 37 to 40% of the applicants to whom we offer admission matriculate, thus we overfill early in the process. Previous work has demonstrated that applicants are three times more likely to come to Michigan if offered admission early rather than coming off the waitlist. This puts us in the uncomfortable situation of having “excess” people in the class. As of May 1, 2006, we have overfilled our class of 170 students by more than 145 applicants. When people send us an acceptance or a decline, we are ambivalent and conflicted. We are grateful because a decline will keep our class size within reasonable limits, but we are also saddened that we have lost an outstanding applicant. Alternatively, we are grateful when we have an acceptance because it means another of our exceptional applicants will be attending the University of Michigan Medical School, yet we are concerned that the class will be too large. There is also the issue of scholarship dollars, which we have overspent. Last year we were successful in recruiting 177 students to the class, which many of you realize is larger than our class size. We are in the delicious position of having outstanding applicants to our medical school, and similar to a gourmet buffet we cannot help but overfill our plate. We hope that at the end we are pleasantly full and not corpulent.

Another repeat of last year?

princessd3 said:
Hey everyone! I have heard that if you TA you get your tuition paid or something. My information is very sketchy. Anyone have more info. I would be interested in something like this. Thanks.

Hey Princess, Congrats on making the big move! I have a feeling that we will not regret this decision at all!

I asked Dr. Gordon about the TA thing a while back and he said that they did it for those in the MPH program but was not sure about med students. I think it's definitely worth asking Ruiz about though. Keep us posted if you find out any good news!

kupono3 said:
I know that one... my boy's just not used to having seasons, being from NorCal and all :laugh:

no, actually, I know there's a better reason than that, just gotta give him a hard time

Haha, nice. Yeah, its a lot of different reasons...but probably the main one IS location. Michigan still rocks, I just wish it were closer...INSIDE Cali.

maria219 said:
Alternatively, we are grateful when we have an acceptance because it means another of our exceptional applicants will be attending the University of Michigan Medical School, yet we are concerned that the class will be too large.

Another reason for kupono to come down to PA.

That sucks if they overaccept again this year. I guess they are doing WAY too good of job of recruiting great students. Everyone I have talked to that has interviewed at Michigan was very, very impressed...so I'm really not that surprised.

Elastase said:

That sucks if they overaccept again this year. I guess they are doing WAY too good of job of recruiting great students. Everyone I have talked to that has interviewed at Michigan was very, very impressed...so I'm really not that surprised.

haha, that's funny, because I have to admit that I was sort of turned off by that statment when I saw it on the admitted students website.

Elastase said:

Yeah, at Second Look almost everyone I spoke to said that he/she was coming....

kupono3 said:
haha, that's funny, because I have to admit that I was sort of turned off by that statment when I saw it on the admitted students website.

Damn mayn, I just checked that admitted website...that is kind of a turn off, but I guess necessary.

Hopefully ppl are just waiting until the last moment to withdraw...we will find out soon how many overaccept (if any) there are...interesting...

Elastase said:
Haha, nice. Yeah, its a lot of different reasons...but probably the main one IS location. Michigan still rocks, I just wish it were closer...INSIDE Cali.
Heh, my thoughts exactly. Why on earth does U Mich have to be, well, in MICHIGAN??? :smuggrin:

Elastase said:
Hey... watch it!

Any more open recruiting of our classmates in the Official UofM class thread and a few of us over-enthusiastic Wolverines are likely to make the trek out to PA to issue a serious beat down! :p

So who is doing Pre-Mat with me?

SailCrazy said:
Hey... watch it!

Any more open recruiting of our classmates in the Official UofM class thread and a few of us over-enthusiastic Wolverines are likely to make the trek out to PA to issue a serious beat down! :p

PA sux0rz! :D

:laugh: good times

regarding the over-accepting thing, I'm inclined to believe it won't be a problem... now, if U-M required a tuition deposit, that'd be another thing, but since there's not, I imagine there's just a lot of people that have been too lazy to send in their withdrawal notice...

in other news, I'm sad to see somewhere2010 is going to Cornell, apparently those of us at welcome weekend didn't have her convinced :( but, somewhere, if you are reading this, thanks for adding me on facebook... nice gesture :)

SailCrazy said:
Hey... watch it!

:D Haha, I knew that comment would bite me in the arse!

kupono3 said:
in other news, I'm sad to see somewhere2010 is going to Cornell, apparently those of us at welcome weekend didn't have her convinced.

Yeah I am really sad to see her go too. She would have been a great addition to the class :(

phatib said:
$200 tuition deposit is due 5/15

my bad... i meant to hold a spot in the class prior to may 15... it all made sense in my head

(por ejemplo, ohio state and wash u wanted $100 within 2 weeks of acceptance...)

kupono3 said:
in other news, I'm sad to see somewhere2010 is going to Cornell, apparently those of us at welcome weekend didn't have her convinced

It seems you didn't really convince yourself either, you're still undecided right?

On Monday there were 84 enrollment deposit forms or whatever they're called (the $200) received, according to the sheet on the admissions office. They listed the # of current accepted students as well, but I can't remember how many more it was than 170, maybe 120 more??? I was in town looking for housing options, and swung by the admissions office to drop off my enrollment form.

Dr. Remick's post seemed at first weird to me, but now I appreciate the transparency of their decisions. They keep people updated on how many interviews and acceptances have been given out, they let you know if you're in soon after your interview, and now they show how the class is forming. I'm sure every school that overaccepts feels the same things the UM admissions office thinks when they see how many students need to drop them, and have conflicting feelings every time it happens.

It did make me think of myself as "baggage" when I turned in the form, though. Or as something from a buffet. I want to be the crab rangoons!

dajimmers said:
On Monday there were 89 enrollment deposit forms or whatever they're called (the $200) received, according to the sheet on the admissions office. They listed the # of current accepted students as well, but I can't remember how many more it was than 170, maybe 80 more??? I was in town looking for housing options, and swung by the admissions office to drop off my enrollment form.

Dr. Remick's post seemed at first weird to me, but now I appreciate the transparency of their decisions. They keep people updated on how many interviews and acceptances have been given out, they let you know if you're in soon after your interview, and now they show how the class is forming. I'm sure every school that overaccepts feels the same things the UM admissions office thinks when they see how many students need to drop them, and have conflicting feelings every time it happens.

It did make me think of myself as "baggage" when I turned in the form, though. Or as something from a buffet. I want to be the crab rangoons!

You will always be a crab rangoon to me. ;)

Last edited:
princessd3 said:
It seems you didn't really convince yourself either, you're still undecided right?

it's funny, i had myself pretty convinced when i was at welcome weekend, but of course, being from the west coast and all, it's tough to actually pull the trigger (so to speak) and decide to pack up and move thousands of miles away for four years... stanford's admit weekend was pretty fun too, so that made it a bit harder...

that being said, i certainly haven't ruled u-m out yet, and even if i were to go to stanford, i think there'd be a big part of me that would regret that decision, so that's why i'm still here. it's certainly a good decision to be able to make, and i really don't feel that bad for myself :)

Last edited:
dajimmers said:
Dr. Remick's post seemed at first weird to me, but now I appreciate the transparency of their decisions.

i agree, that is very nice. no drama.

BDiesel said:
Oh, I got a bunch of new gadgets recently. My parents bought me an iPod video for a graduation present and it's totally sweet! Now I can watch video lectures anywhere I go!

I'm so jealous!!! :smuggrin:

Did most everyone end up signing leases in the white coat ghetto? I'm still up in the air without strong feelings about a place, but I feel like I should probably do something sooner than later. Would you agree? :confused:

I may drive into Ann Arbor tomorrow or Monday to meet with some of the WCG apartment/condo places, check out a few apartments, and maybe (probably?) to sign a lease.

SailCrazy said:
Did most everyone end up signing leases in the white coat ghetto? I'm still up in the air without strong feelings about a place, but I feel like I should probably do something sooner than later. Would you agree? :confused:

I may drive into Ann Arbor tomorrow or Monday to meet with some of the WCG apartment/condo places, check out a few apartments, and maybe (probably?) to sign a lease.

I'll be in the ghetto, but I don't know which complex yet (prob Med Center)...