Official University of Michigan Class of 2010 Thread part 01

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I got a gateway laptop for $700.00. I really like it. 1GB of memory. I don't know the other details but it was really good for the price.

Members don't see this ad.

princessd3 said:
I got a gateway laptop for $700.00. I really like it. 1GB of memory. I don't know the other details but it was really good for the price.
Wow, that is a good deal. 1 GB RAM? WOW!

I'm seriously considering getting a tablet (a laptop with a touch-sensitive screen you can write on). They're somewhat more expensive, but I think it would be useful to be able to annotate notes and keep everything in one "notebook" vs. in a pile of papers.

Does anyone know if all the powerpoint notes, etc. are available online as well as in paper form (I think UM hands out giant stacks of notes for every class)? This would help me determine if a tablet would actually be useful there.

I've found some other SDN threads discussing laptop choices, here is a sampling:

PC or Mac?
Laptop Choice?
Best tablet for $
Which laptop?

I believe I was told on interview day that the power point slides are online. It's up to you whether you want to print it out.

Members don't see this ad :)
Chinorean said:
Oooo I'm in Korea (Seoul) right now...I'm actually sitting at a FedEx Kinko where internet is $3 an hour.

almost_there, I guess I didn't convince you to go to Umich...don't tell me you're off to Duke!?

No -- Yale, largely because of location (i.e. close to NY). I wanted to experience the east coast at least once in my life (been on the west coast for most of it). It was really hard; both schools provide great educations, and the umich culture and mix of students feel more comfortable for me. I also know that I would do well in the curriculum at UMich vs. a little more uncertainty in the less structured education at Yale.

Hey Everyone,

I didn't realize this thread existed until today. I'm on the fence about going to Michigan, but only because I went there for undergrad. I probably met some of you at 2nd look weekend - seems this year's class will be a cool group. One random question: what do you use for a username and password to access the admitted students' portion of the website? I can't remember, or never knew.

thanks

DrinkSKYY said:
Hey Everyone,

I didn't realize this thread existed until today. I'm on the fence about going to Michigan, but only because I went there for undergrad. I probably met some of you at 2nd look weekend - seems this year's class will be a cool group. One random question: what do you use for a username and password to access the admitted students' portion of the website? I can't remember, or never knew.

thanks
I PM'd you with the username and password. Come join us!

DrinkSKYY said:
thanks dude.

I'm thinking about it....

everyone who's anyone is going to umich (except elastase, he's chill)

I'm kinda confused How could people still be thinking about where to go? They didn't decided by May 15th? Did these people just get off waitlists or something?

princessd3 said:
I'm kinda confused How could people still be thinking about where to go? They didn't decided by May 15th? Did these people just get off waitlists or something?
Evidently it *is* possible to hold multiple acceptances post May 15. The med schools have the option to rescind, but it appears that they're choosing not to do it. And yeah, I think some people are getting in off waitlists too.

kupono3 said:
everyone who's anyone is going to umich (except elastase, he's chill)

Thanks mayn! I'm actually getting kinda lonely on SDN...there no one thats going to Stanford really on here. So I'm still hangin' with the Mich and LA crews...

princessd3: Yeah, its pretty surprising that ppl are still holding onto spots. Actually when I talked to one school (LA) they pretty much said that most (and definitley not all) schools don't really care, just as long as you decide within a week of the 15th...

But seriously DrinkSKYY, Michigan is the ****, PERIOD.

Elastase said:
Thanks mayn! I'm actually getting kinda lonely on SDN...there no one thats going to Stanford really on here. So I'm still hangin' with the Mich and LA crews...

princessd3: Yeah, its pretty surprising that ppl are still holding onto spots. Actually when I talked to one school (LA) they pretty much said that most (and definitley not all) schools don't really care, just as long as you decide within a week of the 15th...

But seriously DrinkSKYY, Michigan is the ****, PERIOD.

lol...then why aren't you going there?

Members don't see this ad :)
DrinkSKYY said:
lol...then why aren't you going there?
Yeah I was kind of expecting that reply...

Michigan was seriously awesome and I had a great time visiting there. I actually got a full ride as well. However, being from California and wanting to work closely with undeserved populations in California (specifically Latino populations) and really needing to stay close to family/girlfriend, I decided that I needed to stay IN California. The resources at Michigan have impressed me more so than any of the other schools I have interviewed at...again, I repeat... Michigan is tha ****. Thats why I ain't mad at kupono for choosin' Michigan, its an incredible choice...

Did you get a full ride at both schools (you don't have to answer if you don't want to)? I agree that Michigan seems to just have more money to go around than anyone else, which is great. I can see your point for choosing cali - I teach hs math in Chicago to a similar population to what you described. I think the revert to suburbia would be a little difficult, but ultimately, I know I could do whatever I wanted with the degree.

DrinkSKYY said:
Did you get a full ride at both schools (you don't have to answer if you don't want to)? I agree that Michigan seems to just have more money to go around than anyone else, which is great. I can see your point for choosing cali - I teach hs math in Chicago to a similar population to what you described. I think the revert to suburbia would be a little difficult, but ultimately, I know I could do whatever I wanted with the degree.

I can answer that one, having decided between Stanford and UM but making the opposite choice.

Stanford doesn't offer "full rides" per se, because they don't offer any merit-based money. That said, the definition of "financial need" in Cali is a bit skewed from what I'm used to in Oregon :laugh:

They do offer a lot of teaching and research positions though, along with an AWESOME need-based grant program, and on average, Stanford grads graduate with the lowest debt in the country.

btw, Elastase, I noticed the Stanford thread is pretty dead... what gives? I was going to try to keep in touch with people from admit weekend, but they're clearly not an SDN crowd!

Computer sale for medical students

A special sale for medical students is currently in the planning stages. Selected notebook computers, software and supplies will be available for billing via Student Accounts starting in mid-May. A significant advantage of purchasing this way is that the Office of Financial Aid will receive notification of your purchase and approve financial aid alternate loan applications to pay for your order, if applicable. The amount you owe, after financial aid has been applied, will appear on your Student Statement of Account after the start of the term. We expect be able to extend this offer from approximately mid-May through late-June.

If you prefer to purchase earlier using a credit card, you may do so through the regular ordering method on the Showcase website. However, please be advised that computer configurations and/or pricing may vary, and that Showcase purchases will not be reviewed by the Office of Financial Aid unless you handle those arrangements yourself. You may also purchase through a vendor's online store (look for links on the Showcase website) or elsewhere if you prefer. Watch this page for updates!

dajimmers said:
I also stopped in to the admissions office today: 152 deposits received so far, with ~30 accepted students that they haven't heard from yet.
Now 166 paid, ~14 that they haven't received final word from yet.

With ~40 fewer acceptances this year, apparently second look weekend and two years pass fail (among other things) is doing the recruiting job! :thumbup:

SailCrazy said:
Now 166 paid, ~14 that they haven't received final word from yet.

With ~40 fewer acceptances this year, apparently second look weekend and two years pass fail (among other things) is doing the recruiting job! :thumbup:
anyone know if anyone has been accepted off the waitlist yet?

happydays said:
anyone know if anyone has been accepted off the waitlist yet?

I doubt they have. Expecially if 166 have accepted and 14 that they waiting on. I guess there won't be any waitlist movement until maybe end of this month to mid june, that is if there is any.

two words: DEEEETROIT BASKETBALL

SailCrazy said:
Has anyone else noticed that the "Entering Class of 2006 Profile" PDF on the admitted students' website has been changing? There seem to be some new additions and there are also some folks who are no longer present. My quick (and likely faulty) math says that there are now 290 people in the PDF.
Changed again. I think we have 179 on the pdf now. (The spreadsheet is still the same.)

phatib said:
so overbooked again wow

Although maybe some of the 179 are waiting on other schools' waitlists and would take those schools over UMich. But hey...the more the merrier! :)

WenfeiX said:
Although maybe some of the 179 are waiting on other schools' waitlists and would take those schools over UMich. But hey...the more the merrier! :)
Yeah, this is definitely the case. If I'm not mistaken, what I remember from talking with Mr. Ruiz was that last year there were somewhere around 200 that initially accepted offers of admission, and that people were taken off from waitlists at other schools (and people dropped their UMich acceptance), thus reducing the size of the class to 177. Assuming that a similar number of students will choose to go elsewhere eventually during this cycle, there should be somewhere around 10 spots (180 - 20 = 160 = ten less than the desired class size) left over for waitlist peeps this year.

Because not every individual accepted off the waitlist will accept the offer of admission (I remember hearing that about 1 in 4 actually accepts the offer at UMich - see accepted students site), there should be at least 10 offers to individuals on the wailtist this year. Best of luck to everyone who is still waiting! :luck:

Thank you labslave for your very optimistic comments. So are there 179 people who have paid deposits already? I remember Sailcrazy said a couple days ago that there 166 deposits with 14 people still to report. So did all of the 14 take up U-M on their offer :scared: Thanks for your help! Btw, I'm on the first-tier waitlist at U-M instate.

Boromir said:
Thank you labslave for your very optimistic comments. So are there 179 people who have paid deposits already? I remember Sailcrazy said a couple days ago that there 166 deposits with 14 people still to report. So did all of the 14 take up U-M on their offer :scared: Thanks for your help! Btw, I'm on the first-tier waitlist at U-M instate.
Some of those 14 likely haven't responded to UM yet. I think Michigan has been slowly knocking people off the class roster when they decline, so all of those still "undecided" still appear on the roster. It's not (yet) a directory of those who have paid deposits, just of those who have been accepted and haven't withdrawn (but the two are becoming more similar every day).

Boromir said:

Make it 180! I just sent mine in. Have you guys secured living arrangements for next year? I'm thinking of getting a condo (currently exploring that possibility)...what are you guys doing?

DrinkSKYY said:
Make it 180! I just sent mine in. Have you guys secured living arrangements for next year? I'm thinking of getting a condo (currently exploring that possibility)...what are you guys doing?
My wife and I are renting at Island Drive appts. We were seroiusly considering condos for awhile, but we would need parental help with the $$, and they weren't willing to help as much as we needed. I was looking mostly at places within walking distance of the med school, but these are more expensive if you can drive or ride the bus.

PM me if you want more help with this, but I looked at:
Nielson (~$360,000) 2-3 bdrm (huge and new)
Riverside (~$275,000)2 bdrm (big)
Riverhouse (~$165,000) 2 bdrm (bigger than appts)

From what I gathered from current M4s, realtors, etc., it is worthwhile to buy one of these condos (perhaps especially the Riverhouse) if you can afford the down payment and mortgage. Regardless of what happens to the general AA housing market, there will always be demand for places near the hospital. Likely you'll break even (loss from mortgage interest = condo appreciation), which is much better than loosing tens of thousands in rent.
------------------------------------------------------------

In other news, has everyone gotten their uniqname yet? I sent in my form 5/8 and haven't gotten mine yet. Just wondering...

I just sent you a PM - why especially the Riverhouse? Just because you could score someone to rent out the other bedrooms?

dajimmers said:
My wife and I are renting at Island Drive appts. We were seroiusly considering condos for awhile, but we would need parental help with the $$, and they weren't willing to help as much as we needed. I was looking mostly at places within walking distance of the med school, but these are more expensive if you can drive or ride the bus.

Riverhouse (~$165,000) 3 bdrm (bigger than appts)

From what I gathered from current M4s, realtors, etc., it is worthwhile to buy one of these condos (perhaps especially the Riverhouse) if you can afford the down payment and mortgage. Regardless of what happens to the general AA housing market, there will always be demand for places near the hospital. Likely you'll break even (loss from mortgage interest = condo appreciation), which is much better than loosing tens of thousands in rent.

In other news, has everyone gotten their uniqname yet? I sent in my form 5/8 and haven't gotten mine yet. Just wondering...

dajimmers said:

Riverhouse (~$165,000) 3 bdrm (bigger than appts)

You may break even or make a small profit but not as much as one may think.

For example I talked to someone trying to sell their condo (riverside for 225,000).

They paid about 180,000.

Now the property tax was 3,500 / year
Then association fees ($411 / month)

They bought the place straight with no mortgage and have been there for 3 years.

now cost per year : 3500+411*12 = $8432

So for 3 years = 8432*3 = $25,296

So total cost after 3 years = 25,296+180000= 205,296

This does not count the cost of upgrades to the condo etc such as recarpeting that they had to do or retiling the kitchen.

So say the total cost is 207,000.

Looking at the history for what the places of sold for one should not pay more then 217,000.

That is a profit of 10,000. But they have to pay for all the utilities as well (heat, electricity, gas, cable)
--------------

Now take the case of renting (not exactly work this way as I am assuming a simple case of yearly compounding) and about 4% interest which is reasonable. Plus we will put away say 200,000 in the bank for their case.

200000*1.04 = 208,000 after 1 year
208,000*1.04 = 216,320 after 2 years
216,320*1.04 = 224972 after 3 years

Now we have to take into account renting (without the cost of electricity and cable), but we didn't take into account gas, heat, electricity and cable in the condo either (which is obviously more as more things were unaccounted for).

We will take the case of living in a 2 bedroom (so you pay half) in island drive on the bottom floor if you sign up at the special rate and assume it stays this rate over a 3 year period for even comparison.

Rent per month = 875
Your responsiblity = $437.5

So for 3 years = 437.5*12*3 =15,750

so one has spent $15,750 by renting.

This 15,750 is saved if you own a condo.
----------------------

Now they made 10,000 from the sale + 15,750 from not paying rent = $25,750

Now if the had invested at the 4% they had $224,972 which means they made: 224,972 - 200,000 = $24,972

This one sees the difference between $25,750 and $24,972 is a a net profit of
$822.

Once again when owning you are responsible to pay if something needs fixing or something like a plumbing problem. Also you would be responsible for more utility costs as well. Also, for buying I have not included upgrade costs and if you are taking out a mortgage it is even more thus you would actually lose money.

I know this may seem long and drawn out but it is a very reasonable mathematical calculation (assuming I didn't make any mistake which I may have).

Also, Riverhouse is an old as it was built in the 60's and so was riverside.

Thus there will be costs of repair which comes with the age of the buildings and remodoling.

I appreciate ti89's contribution as it is quite logical. As I am married, however, the costs or renting will be double what you have calculated. Plus, I am planning on doing an MD/MPH so I'll be in Ann Arbor for five years. Figuring $1000/month*60 months=$60,000 down the drain. Needless to say, we'll be buying.

By the way, are there any Paul Farmer fans out there? I am reading Infections and Inequalities right now and I love it.

Zut Alors said:
I appreciate ti89's contribution as it is quite logical. As I am married, however, the costs or renting will be double what you have calculated. Plus, I am planning on doing an MD/MPH so I'll be in Ann Arbor for five years. Figuring $1000/month*60 months=$60,000 down the drain. Needless to say, we'll be buying.

By the way, are there any Paul Farmer fans out there? I am reading Infections and Inequalities right now and I love it.

Yep if you are married my calculations don't work out. For all who just want to live with a roomate I do think they work in general. Also, if you buy outside of ann arbor it is a lot cheaper in terms of property tax etc so my calculations wouldn't work for those as well. My calculations basically for work if you want to buy in Ann Arbor itself.

ti89 said:

For example I talked to someone trying to sell their condo (riverside for 225,000).

They paid about 180,000.

They bought the place straight with no mortgage and have been there for 3 years.

This does not count the cost of upgrades to the condo etc such as recarpeting that they had to do or retiling the kitchen.

Looking at the history for what the places of sold for one should not pay more then 217,000.

That is a profit of 10,000. But they have to pay for all the utilities as well (heat, electricity, gas, cable)
--------------

Now take the case of renting (not exactly work this way as I am assuming a simple case of yearly compounding) and about 4% interest which is reasonable. Plus we will put away say 200,000 in the bank for their case.

Now we have to take into account renting (without the cost of electricity and cable), but we didn't take into account gas, heat, electricity and cable in the condo either (which is obviously more as more things were unaccounted for).

We will take the case of living in a 2 bedroom (so you pay half) in island drive on the bottom floor if you sign up at the special rate and assume it stays this rate over a 3 year period for even comparison.

Rent per month = 875

----------------------

Now if the had invested at the 4% they had $224,972 which means they made: 224,972 - 200,000 = $24,972

$822.

Once again when owning you are responsible to pay if something needs fixing or something like a plumbing problem. Also you would be responsible for more utility costs as well. Also, for buying I have not included upgrade costs and if you are taking out a mortgage it is even more thus you would actually lose money.

I know this may seem long and drawn out but it is a very reasonable mathematical calculation (assuming I didn't make any mistake which I may have).

Thus there will be costs of repair which comes with the age of the buildings and remodoling.

Thanks for the work-up - it seems pretty correct to me, though I can think of a few extras:

1.) buying an older place (such as the ones you mentioned) means the place probably won't appreciate as much as a newer development, and will require costlier repairs (I'd try to get a newer one).

2.)I'd rent out the extra bedroom(s) to other med students, which would make the whole venture more profitable.

DrinkSKYY said:
Thanks for the work-up - it seems pretty correct to me, though I can think of a few extras:

1.) buying an older place (such as the ones you mentioned) means the place probably won't appreciate as much as a newer development, and will require costlier repairs (I'd try to get a newer one).

2.)I'd rent out the extra bedroom(s) to other med students, which would make the whole venture more profitable.

This is true. Thus if you want to buy I'd say Neilsen Square, but a lot more initial investment (almost 360,000).

Renting out does help you make about 6000 a year. However, don't forget I said one is taking out no mortgage (which if you are not then doesn't matter) but if you are then the analysis I made means even less profit then add the profit of renting out a room so stays close (actually would mean you gain less) as the mortgage would be pretty high if you choose Nielsen Square.

With that said you the condos are definetely nicer.

ti89 said:
This is true. Thus if you want to buy I'd say Neilsen Square, but a lot more initial investment (almost 360,000).

Renting out does help you make about 6000 a year. However, don't forget I said one is taking out no mortgage (which if you are not then doesn't matter) but if you are then the analysis I made means even less profit then add the profit of renting out a room so stays close (actually would mean you gain less) as the mortgage would be pretty high if you choose Nielsen Square.

With that said you the condos are definetely nicer.

True, but you also have to consider that you would make less renting, since you wouldn't have an initial 200k to invest...so I think that tips the balance significantly in favor of buying.

ti89 said:

They paid about 180,000.

--------------

Rent per month = 875

----------------------

$822.

Don't forget the 6% commission on resale. For a 200K house, that means an extra $12K in cost for buying and selling.

And don't forget the value of time/effort put into buying, selling, upkeep, and repair of the house. And if you rent a room to others, the time and effort to manage that.

almost_there said:
Don't forget the 6% commission on resale. For a 200K house, that means an extra $12K in cost for buying and selling.

And don't forget the value of time/effort put into buying, selling, upkeep, and repair of the house. And if you rent a room to others, the time and effort to manage that.

The buyer doesn't pay the cost - just the seller (usually). Also, you can sell by owner, if you're good. Also, we started this conversation assuming a 3 year period - most real estate investors agree 5 years is the minimum time to make buying worth while...guess that means i'd need to take off one year for research!

(plus I've got a friend who' will be my real estate agent for little $$$)

DrinkSKYY said:
I just sent you a PM - why especially the Riverhouse? Just because you could score someone to rent out the other bedrooms?
A realtor I talked with thinks Nielson has less "room" to appreciate, since it's already so expensive. Every dollar it increases in price makes it harder for attendings, nurses, residents, and esprecially med students to afford. But the age of Riverhous/side is also a detractor for them.

ti89- The Riverhouse association fees cover heat (and water, I think). So does renting at Island Drive, so it just means it depends on which places you're looking at. And I do agree that the "niceness" of the condo (especially Nielsen- they ROCK) should count for something too, it's not all $$$.

I guess you've got to make sure you'll have time to do all the "extra" things owning involves- finding roomates, repairs, upgrades, and selling. Offer some free SKYY to potential roomates, perhaps? :cool:

I wish my wife had a job for next year, it would make buying much more sensible...

dajimmers said:
A realtor I talked with thinks Nielson has less "room" to appreciate, since it's already so expensive. Every dollar it increases in price makes it harder for attendings, nurses, residents, and esprecially med students to afford. But the age of Riverhous/side is also a detractor for them.

ti89- The Riverhouse association fees cover heat (and water, I think). So does renting at Island Drive, so it just means it depends on which places you're looking at. And I do agree that the "niceness" of the condo (especially Nielsen- they ROCK) should count for something too, it's not all $$$.

I guess you've got to make sure you'll have time to do all the "extra" things owning involves- finding roomates, repairs, upgrades, and selling. Offer some free SKYY to potential roomates, perhaps? :cool:

I wish my wife had a job for next year, it would make buying much more sensible...

All right - I'll keep the freezer stocked wtih SKYY and stoli..does that sell you guys?

Seriously, I had considered what you said about Nielson - probably not much more room to appreciate. Check out this link
http://www.strathmoredev.com/Property_for_Lease/Office/LowerTown.html

this place will probably be pricey, and won't be ready for a while....but it would most likely appreciate nicely, at least I think.

dajimmers said:

At riverhouse the association fees cover water but not heat.

However, if I had the money I would go with Nielsen (which I basically will be at all the time) as my gf has a condo their any ways :p

It would be great to own if you can. Just it might not be as profitable as some think.

I need help. I am shopping on the U-M showcase website. They asked that we get a 7' 5e ethernet cable. The one listed just says 7' ethernet cable. Is that the same thing or what?

princessd3 said:
I need help. I am shopping on the U-M showcase website. They asked that we get a 7' 5e ethernet cable. The one listed just says 7' ethernet cable. Is that the same thing or what?

Yes, but if you have wireless it really might be useless. I pretty sure whole school has wireless and at home if you set up wireless it is much easier as 7' is too short to really use really.

I would hold off on buying it as it is easy to get the ethernet cable later if you find you really really need it.

So are any of you guys/gals looking into getting a tablet PC for the coming year? I think they'd be really useful in med school (copying and recopying notes, etc.), but I'm still wondering how practical it would actually be for classes at UMich. I know that we'll be given paper course packets at the beginning of every course, which makes me wonder whether or not I'd actually be taking notes on a computer in class (hence nullifying any potential use for the tablet functionality while in class).

Does anyone know whether or not they also give us electronic copies of the course packets?

Labslave said:
So are any of you guys/gals looking into getting a tablet PC for the coming year? I think they'd be really useful in med school (copying and recopying notes, etc.), but I'm still wondering how practical it would actually be for classes at UMich. I know that we'll be given paper course packets at the beginning of every course, which makes me wonder whether or not I'd actually be taking notes on a computer in class (hence nullifying any potential use for the tablet functionality while in class).

Does anyone know whether or not they also give us electronic copies of the course packets?
Princess3d said she thinks they have powerpoints available online; I think I'll post on the admitted students discussion thread thing. I'm most likely getting a tablet, especially if the notes are available electronically. I've been doing some research, but I'm still unsure of what I'll get. New tablets are coming out or were recently released featuring the Core Duo, and I think I may get one of those. I want decent processing power, a good display, perhaps video acceleration, and a DVD burner (I do video and photo editing every so often). Hopefully I can find something that meets most requirements, is still somewhat portable, and doesn't cost TOO much. Dreaming, aren't I?

dajimmers said:
Princess3d said she thinks they have powerpoints available online; I think I'll post on the admitted students discussion thread thing. I'm most likely getting a tablet, especially if the notes are available electronically. I've been doing some research, but I'm still unsure of what I'll get. New tablets are coming out or were recently released featuring the Core Duo, and I think I may get one of those. I want decent processing power, a good display, perhaps video acceleration, and a DVD burner (I do video and photo editing every so often). Hopefully I can find something that meets most requirements, is still somewhat portable, and doesn't cost TOO much. Dreaming, aren't I?
This is exactly how I feel. Many of the lighter models (ideal for carrying around all day) simply don't have the processing power/goodies I'm accustomed to - and I don't want to get an 8 pound mammoth of a laptop.

I really hope princess is right with regards to them offering electronic copies of the course packets. I'll definitely get one if this is the case. :thumbup:

dajimmers said:
New tablets are coming out or were recently released featuring the Core Duo, and I think I may get one of those. I want decent processing power, a good display, perhaps video acceleration, and a DVD burner (I do video and photo editing every so often). Hopefully I can find something that meets most requirements, is still somewhat portable, and doesn't cost TOO much. Dreaming, aren't I?

Ahh yes... that sounds like a good 9 pound, $3k machine ;-). If you're not too attached to the idea of having the Core Duo processor and an integrated optical drive, the X41 tablet on the Showcase website sounds good. Especially since you can pick up an external DVD burner on ebay for about $60.

I was also considering getting a tablet, but am unsure of how much added value it would actually be (especially for an extra $400 or so over a comparable non-tablet laptop).

Oh... and btw... Showcase's medical student sale is now officially on...

Does anyone know anything about residency classification applications? My parents are MI residents, but I went to school in CA and stayed out there for my year off, so I put CA as my state of residency on my AMCAS. I think I have to fill out a Resident Classification application and submit it to the Residency Classification Office, but do I need to do anything with the medical school financial aid office?

WenfeiX said:
Does anyone know anything about residency classification applications? My parents are MI residents, but I went to school in CA and stayed out there for my year off, so I put CA as my state of residency on my AMCAS. I think I have to fill out a Resident Classification application and submit it to the Residency Classification Office, but do I need to do anything with the medical school financial aid office?

You very well may be able to qualify for Michigan residency. Consider this: I went to Michigan for undergrad, then left the state for 4 years (my parents are from MI also)...I am getting in-state residency. If your reason for leaving the state was academic (as was the case for some of my 4 years away) then you may qualify. The residency app is somewhere on the residcency classification office's website - it's a long, tedious form that asks you to account for even seemingly trivial things like long vacations outside the country, but it might be worth the 50 grand you could save.

Just a head's up that new student football tickets are supposed to go on sale Monday, June 5 .

I'm definitely getting them. Stupid spouse ticket looks to be $300+, though. Bah.