Official University of Michigan Class of 2010 Thread part 01

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Ugh... It's hot and humid here, even with the rain. I thought Michigan was supposed to be cold.

Members don't see this ad.

ScrubsX said:
Ugh... It's hot and humid here, even with the rain. I thought Michigan was supposed to be cold.
be patient. It will come. :)

I'm an M3 at Michigan and I'm looking for a roommate for next year. My landlord just got married and has decided to move into the house where I'm living with 4 other guys--he's essentially kicking all of us out. I have to move out within the next 3 weeks. If any of you incoming M1s are interested in having an M3 roomie next year, please PM me. You'll practically have the place to yourself, since I'll be at the hospital pretty much 24/7.

Congrats on your acceptances! you'll have a great time while you're here--it's a stellar education in a great town.

Members don't see this ad :)

Last edited:

Last edited:
Aw MAN. Why is everyone moving in already? So out of the loop here.
2 Q's:

1) I've never moved so far away from my hometown before. Does anyone recommend any moving services/shipping options for getting my stuff from NYC to Ann Arbor? I hear it's about a 10 hour drive, but I don't have a car or anyone willing to drive me over. :p

2) Who here is from NY/NYC? Come on. There's 9 in our class. We gotta represent.

TinyFish said:
2 Q's:

1) I've never moved so far away from my hometown before. Does anyone recommend any moving services/shipping options for getting my stuff from NYC to Ann Arbor? I hear it's about a 10 hour drive, but I don't have a car or anyone willing to drive me over. :p

2) Who here is from NY/NYC? Come on. There's 9 in our class. We gotta represent.

Me, me!!!! I am in Ann Arbor right now and I was actually representing NYC today with my top that had NYC, Brooklyn, Bronx, Queens etc written all over it! Where you from exactly?

***Artisthands8 I do realize I have totally given away my identity but you would have found me anyway***

BDiesel said:
I am also looking forward to moving out of my parents' house and into my apartment (it's been an interesting year).

AMEN to that. *phew* :rolleyes:

BDiesel said:
The challenge course is pretty sweet. I did it (the U of M one - go townies!) in HS in this BS sociology course. We did a lot of game playing and touchie-feelie stuff. Does anyone know if we're doing the high ropes or the other stuff they have. There's a low ropes course and this web that you climb through. In HS we did it all but it took a whole day. So I imagine for orientation, we're only doing part of it.

I talked with an M1 (M2-to-be) and she said that last year they did the spider-web one, and another one with a suspended hoop in the air...

TinyFish said:
2 Q's:

Maybe you can rent a U-Haul and get some friends to help you move boxes into the truck.

Does Westchester count?

amandil said:
AMEN to that. *phew* :rolleyes:

I talked with an M1 (M2-to-be) and she said that last year they did the spider-web one, and another one with a suspended hoop in the air...

So this is really like Fear Factor type of stuff? What in the world!

princessd3 said:
So this is really like Fear Factor type of stuff? What in the world!

Does the winner get $50,000? That barely covers one year of med school. So sad...

Sure, Westchester counts! Have you guys seen that "You know you're from NYC if..." list? I think one of them is "If you consider Westchester to be 'upstate New York' "

Princess, I'm from Manhattan. Yes, I'm one of those sad, sad people who gets really lost and confused in the other boroughs. [embarrassment] I'm getting better about it, though. :D

Hmm. A U-Haul might do the trick. Plus, if I do that, I can say I've been a trucker.

TinyFish said:
Sure, Westchester counts! Have you guys seen that "You know you're from NYC if..." list? I think one of them is "If you consider Westchester to be 'upstate New York' "

Princess, I'm from Manhattan. Yes, I'm one of those sad, sad people who gets really lost and confused in the other boroughs. [embarrassment] I'm getting better about it, though. :D

Hmm. A U-Haul might do the trick. Plus, if I do that, I can say I've been a trucker.

As long as you have a valid driver's license... =]

Some people in NYC never needed to learn how to drive.

Members don't see this ad :)
ScrubsX said:
As long as you have a valid driver's license... =]

Some people in NYC never needed to learn how to drive.

Cripes. You caught me. I do know how to drive, but I don't actually have a license. Just a permit. When I used it as ID when securing an Island Drive apartment, the woman actually said, "Wow, this is really flimsy. WHAT state are you from?"

Maybe I can attach a trailer to my bicycle and bike over there.

TinyFish said:
Cripes. You caught me. I do know how to drive, but I don't actually have a license. Just a permit. When I used it as ID when securing an Island Drive apartment, the woman actually said, "Wow, this is really flimsy. WHAT state are you from?"

Maybe I can attach a trailer to my bicycle and bike over there.

I've never used them before, but the other day I saw a moving truck for "Two Men and a Truck." I think they're a pretty popular moving service... I'm going to call them on Monday and see if they can move my stuff.

http://www.twomen.com

I'm in East Lansing at the moment, since this is my only working internet connection, but in about an hour I'll be in Ann Arbor with my second load going to Island Drive Apartments. Tomorrow, with the fun fun mid-90's predicted, will be Uhaul day w/ all the big furniture. So happy I got a 3rd-floor apartment!

It's so hot. I'm going back to the UP. Seriously. My parents live on the lake (yes, a real lake- Michigan). We've got mini-sailboats and paddleboats. And you can snorkel after bass or trout or something. And it's not so hot. Anyone want to join me? Or better yet, anyone from Alaska and want me to visit?

It's so HOT!!!

princessd3 said:
Me, me!!!! I am in Ann Arbor right now and I was actually representing NYC today with my top that had NYC, Brooklyn, Bronx, Queens etc written all over it! Where you from exactly?

***Artisthands8 I do realize I have totally given away my identity but you would have found me anyway***

Hahaha- indeed! Thanks for saving me some pseudo-stalking effort. Oh, and the shirt was totally awesome :)

artisthands8 said:
Hey- who's already in A^2 and interested in going to the artfair? There's some pretty neat stuff and it's a fun place to hang out. It goes from Wednesday-Saturday next week. I'll be bumming around campus Thursday and Friday. Let me know if you're interested! :)

I'm up for braving this crazy heat.

=]

Anyone have any thoughts on the cheapest way to get decent internet access at home?

I have no particular plans to get a land line or cable TV, so I don't have any leanings toward cable modem, DSL, or wireless. (Is there a decent high speed wireless provider in Ann Arbor?)

SailCrazy said:
Anyone have any thoughts on the cheapest way to get decent internet access at home?

I have no particular plans to get a land line or cable TV, so I don't have any leanings toward cable modem, DSL, or wireless. (Is there a decent high speed wireless provider in Ann Arbor?)

Steal your neighbors'! :) Or...offer to split the wireless bill with them?

WenfeiX said:
Steal your neighbors'! :) Or...offer to split the wireless bill with them?
I second this suggestion wholeheartedly (at least the second part of it)

WenfeiX said:
Steal your neighbors'! :)
If anyone reading this is my neighbor... I'd never do that!

If not, well... :p

SailCrazy said:
If anyone reading this is my neighbor... I'd never do that!

If not, well... :p

I'll remember this post and come after you first if I find hitchikers on my network

Hey everyone! If you haven’t heard, the Ann Arbor Art Fair is going on this week (Wednesday-Saturday, http://www.artfair.org) and some of us were thinking it would be fun to get a group of M1s to go together. If you’re in town and interested, we’re meeting this Friday (the 21st) at around 7:15pm in front of the med school (entrance leading to the admissions office). After wandering around a bit we’ll probably hang out a little and kill some time, then go to Oz (a night club/lounge, http://www.ozannarbor.com) to continue the night. I believe the cover at Oz is $5, otherwise everything else is free (unless you decide to buy an incredibly expensive sculpture or something :-D) Feel free to e-mail or pm me if you have any questions or what not- looking forward to meeting some of you!

artisthands8 said:
Hey everyone! If you haven’t heard, the Ann Arbor Art Fair is going on this week (Wednesday-Saturday, http://www.artfair.org) and some of us were thinking it would be fun to get a group of M1s to go together. If you’re in town and interested, we’re meeting this Friday (the 21st) at around 7:15pm in front of the med school (entrance leading to the admissions office). After wandering around a bit we’ll probably hang out a little and kill some time, then go to Oz (a night club/lounge, http://www.ozannarbor.com) to continue the night. I believe the cover at Oz is $5, otherwise everything else is free (unless you decide to buy an incredibly expensive sculpture or something :-D) Feel free to e-mail or pm me if you have any questions or what not- looking forward to meeting some of you!

nm my mistake in this post

ti89 said:
You cannot go at 7:15 pm as it closes each day at like 5 pm or so I believe except saturday when it closes a bit earlier (like 4pm).

On the upper right part of the webpage, it says "W-F: 10AM - 9PM Sat: 10AM - 6PM."

ScrubsX said:
On the upper right part of the webpage, it says "W-F: 10AM - 9PM Sat: 10AM - 6PM."

oops didn't look carefully.

my mistake sounds good!

Chouster said:
I'll remember this post and come after you first if I find hitchikers on my network
I'll make sure not to hop on any network that is a few buildings away! :laugh:

Hey- change in plan for the art fair- my sources tell me there’s a pre-mat bbq on Friday so instead of going to the art fair on Friday we’re doing it tomorrow (Thursday). Short notice, I know, but hopefully you’ll get this in time! So… same time and place- meet in front of admissions at 7:15ish. We’ll push the club thing back to Saturday night and it looks like we’re going to Studio 4 instead of Oz. (http://www.studio4club.com/flash.html ) Meet outside Studio 4 at 10pm or join us inside!
Jennifer
P.S. Let me know if you’re coming if you want us to wait for you.

Hi guys watsup...

I just arrived, im stayin at the Island Drive Apartments here in Ann Arbor...come by anytime u'd like, and lets hang out...lets exchange numbers, email, and lets hang out

later

sort of an FYI...

I've been periodically haunting the wolverineaccess page, and became slightly paranoid because I haven't received a bill yet or class registration information or anything. I think it's because I still can't believe I'm REALLY going to med school :rolleyes:

In any case, I just called the office of student programs and the admissions office. All we need to submit are:

Office of Student Programs:
  • immunization forms
  • healthcare application or waiver
  • Challenge Program Medical Information and Release of Liability Form
  • Permission to Release Information, Photographs or Videotapes Form

Admissions Office:
  • official transcript from your college

Financial Aid Office:
  • Med School Institutional Application
  • Entrance Interview for Loans

We get information about registering about classes during orientation. Presumably, that's also when we'll get our first bill... :eek:

amandil said:
sort of an FYI...

I think I've submitted all those forms. I'd like to get a confirmation or something though, or at least know when I can start using my new GradCare.

In our Facebook group, someone posted:
Four senior members of the UM Med school faculty are leaving... here are their names and titles:
Allen Lichter - Dean of Medical School
Dan Remick - Assistant Dean of Admissions
Maya Hammoud - Assistant Dean for Student Programs
Brian Zink - Associate Dean for Medical Student Career Development

Is this brain-drain indicative of some underlying weakness within the medical school? I won't editorialize.
Anyone know anything about this? I know Lichter is leaving, there's a news story about it at the med.umich homepage. Hadn't heard about the others until now, though... and I can't find any news on it on umich.edu...

It's still hot in Ann Arbor. The Challenge program better involve a pool. Or ice.

I was told that GradCare coverage begins on August 1st.

I'm definitely a little taken aback if all of those folks really are leaving. It will be interesting to learn more about what's going on.

Baloo588 said:
I have seen my schedule for this fall, and boy, it changes every week and every day. You will need to keep the schedule with you every day! Classes starts at 9 every day for the first 2-3 weeks, then they will start at 10 in September. Classes finish around 2:30-3 about 2 to 3 times a week while the other 2 days you will have group discussions and labs at specific time that can run anywere from 3-5:30 p.m. These group discussions are about 1 hour long and there are different sections like undergrad. I cant give any more information at this moment. I hope this helps for now
Where did you find a copy of our schedule? Is it online somewhere?

Ahhhh! Me too! I want to know the schedule.

I feel so in the dark. And like I'm sitting on my hands. I mean, come on, I'm ready, let's go!

Has anyone drawn Dr. Gest any pictures? :p

Windows XP Professional? Reformat? More money?

In the words of G.O.B....C'MON!

TinyFish said:
Nope... I seem to have misplaced my crayon sharpener. :(

Baloo588 said:
I have seen my schedule for this fall, and boy, it changes every week and every day. You will need to keep the schedule with you every day! Classes starts at 9 every day for the first 2-3 weeks, then they will start at 10 in September.

Hey Baloo, is that the same schedule posted in the M1/M2 Survival Guide?

TinyFish said:

Microsoft Paint!!! :) I haven't played around with that in like, 10 years...I feel like a little kid again! (And I still draw like one)

WenfeiX said:
Microsoft Paint!!! :) I haven't played around with that in like, 10 years...I feel like a little kid again! (And I still draw like one)

Oh man! That is a great idea! And here I was, about to bust out the scented markers...

TinyFish said:

I think I'll just make a big scribble of red and black and call it a day.

And why is it raining during the summer? :mad:

amandil said:
um... why? :confused:

Check the packet that you received from UMich probably 2 weeks ago. It had a packet that described the various student groups, a sheet from the genetics prof, and a sheet from Dr. Gest. The sheet from Dr. Gest asked us to think about our upcoming experience in anatomy and to draw a picture/jot down some words/write a poem/do something creative about our thoughts and feelings.

dajimmers said:
In our Facebook group, someone posted:
Four senior members of the UM Med school faculty are leaving... here are their names and titles:
Allen Lichter - Dean of Medical School
Dan Remick - Assistant Dean of Admissions
Maya Hammoud - Assistant Dean for Student Programs
Brian Zink - Associate Dean for Medical Student Career Development

Is this brain-drain indicative of some underlying weakness within the medical school? I won't editorialize.
Anyone know anything about this?
It could just as easily be a sign of strength. When you're an organization/business doing good things, other places always try to recruit away your people. I'm sure there will be some bumps in the road (that we don't see) but I bet the transition will be pretty smooth from our perspective.

The email just came out:
We hope your summer has gone well and you are enthused about arriving
on campus to begin your medical education. We are writing to share with
you some information regarding the departure of some members of the
medical school administration. The following individuals whom you may
have met during your visits to campus will be departing Ann Arbor:

Allen Lichter, M.D. (Michigan B.S., '68, M.D. '72), Dean of the
Medical School, will depart to become the CEO of The American Society of
Clinical Oncology after his 7 year highly successful stint as Dean and
22 years with the University of Michigan.

Daniel Remick, M.D. (Michigan Residency '84, Fellowship '86), Assistant
Dean of Admissions will depart to become Chair of Pathology at the
Boston University School of Medicine after 24 years of loyal and
committed service.

Maya Hammoud, M.D. (Michigan M.D., '96, Residency '00), Assistant Dean
of Student Programs and Middle Eastern Women's Health Program Director,
will depart to become Associate Dean of Weill Cornell Medical College in
Qatar after 10 years of accomplished work.

Brian Zink, M.D. Associate Dean for Student Programs, assumed a
position as the Chair of Emergency Medicine at Brown University after 24
very productive years on our medical campus.

While we will miss our colleagues and friends we are proud of their
work and understand the significant role the University of Michigan
Medical School has in training and producing the leaders in Academic
Medicine. While these 4 members of the medical school administration
have left to assume important leadership positions at other academic
institutions, there are over 1800 remaining medical school faculty
committed to your education. A coherent transition plan has been
developed with the remaining 15 deans at the medical school and a
seamless transition is anticipated. The outstanding support staff also
remain available and committed to your education.

We and look forward to carrying on our tradition of producing the
"leaders and best" in medicine! Best wishes and see you soon!

Robert F. Ruiz
Director of Admissions
University of Michigan Medical School

SailCrazy said:
It could just as easily be a sign of strength. When you're an organization/business doing good things, other places always try to recruit away your people. I'm sure there will be some bumps in the road (that we don't see) but I bet the transition will be pretty smooth from our perspective.

The email just came out:

Top level academics get recruited away all the time. I'm sure they'll be replaced by people just as good.

Or maybe there was a spectacularly bitter, all-out war within UMich and the deans lost...

WenfeiX said:
Check the packet that you received from UMich probably 2 weeks ago. It had a packet that described the various student groups, a sheet from the genetics prof, and a sheet from Dr. Gest. The sheet from Dr. Gest asked us to think about our upcoming experience in anatomy and to draw a picture/jot down some words/write a poem/do something creative about our thoughts and feelings.

oh yeah! I think I read the first few sentences and then skimmed over it... :rolleyes:

Maybe I'll write a haiku. or a maybe a fib! :D

Bars: Arena, Ashleys, Skeeps, Rush St, Arbor Brewing Company (ABC), Grizzly Peak, Babs Underground, Casey's
Banks: TCF
Biking Trail: Potowotami, Olsen, Maybury, Pontiac, Highland
Bookstores: Borders, Barnes and Noble, Campus Books, Ulrichs, Michigan Book and Supply
Cell Phone Service Providers: Cingular, Verizon
Grocery Stores: Krogers, Trader Joes, Whole Foods
Hiking Trail: The Arboretum
Hair Cuts:
Restaurants: Chinese: TK-Wu, Champion House, Evergreen http://www.arborweb.com/
Restaurants: Italian: Gratzi, Palio, the Earle
Sporting Goods Shops: Dunhams, Champs, Footlocker

Figure'd I bump this list for those (like me) who are finally arriving in Ann Arbor. I need a haircut by the White Coat Ceremony. I like cheap, but well done. Suggestions? And is TCF the best bank? And if anyone has more they want to see, add a line!

Re: phone service, I've been to AA with good reception for T-Mobile, too. Heck, I get better T-mobile reception in Ann Arbor than I do in NYC. :rolleyes:

Bars: Arena, Ashleys, Skeeps, Rush St, Arbor Brewing Company (ABC), Grizzly Peak, Babs Underground, Casey's
Banks: TCF
Biking Trail: Potowotami, Olsen, Maybury, Pontiac, Highland
Bookstores: Borders, Barnes and Noble, Campus Books, Ulrichs, Michigan Book and Supply
Cell Phone Service Providers: Cingular, Verizon, T-Mobile
Grocery Stores: Krogers, Trader Joes, Whole Foods
Hiking Trail: The Arboretum
Hair Cuts:
Restaurants: Chinese: TK-Wu, Champion House, Evergreen http://www.arborweb.com/, Great Lakes, Hong Hua (but it's a bit far)
Restaurants: Italian: Gratzi, Palio, the Earle
Sporting Goods Shops: Dunhams, Champs, Footlocker

did everyone get the email labelled : IMPORTANT - Complete UM Forms Now

i sent these forms a long time ago...are they reminding me because they haven't received it yet?