Official University of Michigan Class of 2010 Thread part 01

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Welcome back Amandil! Where you been?

I'll probably call to ask, but I was wondering what any of you are doing about ordering your first white coat. The men's Tall sizes seem confusing (L and XL list the same numbers), and I'm wondering if Tall sizes make for longer sleeves or what... I'm not particularly tall, but my arms are rather monkey-like...

Anyone tried some on before and know how they fit?

Members don't see this ad.

The sizes are a bit confusing. Isn't 32-34 usually a female small? Well it's listed as medium. Anyway that's what I got. I hope it won't be too tight. Any other females got this?

dajimmers said:
If I go to "Accept/Decline Financial Aid" I can still submit/alter my aid amounts. But If I go to "View Financial Aid Award Summary," it shows the amounts I've been offered and accepted. Check the award summary to see if it says you've accepted the amounts you entered. I think you may be able to keep changing the amount you want up to the disbursement date or something like that. As long as your values show up in the summary, I wouldn't worry about it.
However, after you decline an award, you can't go back and get it again (at least not by yourself on wolverinaccess).

Members don't see this ad :)
happydays said:
However, after you decline an award, you can't go back and get it again (at least not by yourself on wolverinaccess).

If you call up the financial aid office, they can reinstate a declined award.

dajimmers said:
Welcome back Amandil! Where you been?

Thanks! It's been a crazy trip... Amsterdam, Morocco, Athens, Kuala Lumpur, Hong Kong, Bangkok, Cambodia, and Vietnam. Sort of a last hurrah before school starts. But now I'm definitely ready to return to the good ol' Midwest!

Does anyone know if you absolutely need a ticket to enter the White Coat Ceremony at Rackham? I have 5 separate people I'd like to invite, but obviously, only 4 invites.

Just a question -

Is there any reason why somone would DECLINE their financial aid?? Can you work with the financial aid office for more, or something? Hold out for better?

Just curious - I'm still waiting to hear about aid, granted pharm students just got accepted end of May.

ajmataz said:
Just a question -

Is there any reason why somone would DECLINE their financial aid?? Can you work with the financial aid office for more, or something? Hold out for better?

Just curious - I'm still waiting to hear about aid, granted pharm students just got accepted end of May.
I wouldn't decline anything if you want more, but you can try asking for more. For instance, the medical school lets you request additional funds for a laptop (required) or health insurance (required), and may allow adjustments based on recent changes in your financials (parents retired, you won't have income next year, you got married, etc.). In general "holding out for better" is probably a bad idea, though, as there is only a limited supply of aid, especially the "good" aid (grants and low-interest).

I think people only decline aid (likely loans) if they have alternative means of funding the costs of school- an aunt gave you money, won a scholarship, living at home so don't need all of the living cost loans, etc. I know a lot of second-year students decline (acutally reduce) their aid package based on how much they really needed first year.

Right, but I guess I mean aside from my parents and 2 of my friends that live in the same house (4 people taking up 2 tickets), I have 3 additional tickets I wanted to send out (all with 3 different addresses). So should I just combine 2 of those people into the same address, or would it not be a problem for them just to show up w/ out sending more invites?

RollingStone said:
Right, but I guess I mean aside from my parents and 2 of my friends that live in the same house (4 people taking up 2 tickets), I have 3 additional tickets I wanted to send out (all with 3 different addresses). So should I just combine 2 of those people into the same address, or would it not be a problem for them just to show up w/ out sending more invites?

To get technical, the order form page says "You may invite up to four people," not four invitations for as many people as you want on each. This makes sense, if you think about it. Rackham auditorium has around 1100 seats. 170 students and 4 guests per student is 850 people (170*5). If you bet maybe another 100-150 faculty and other guests of the University, you're looking at 950-1000 right there.

By that math, it seems they need to limit everybody to four to five guests tops. Writing two names on invitations seems to be an excuse for U of M to save money on the cost of invitations. To be honest, I don't think we will fill the place to capacity and anyone who shows up probably has a decent shot of finding a seat. Guests are bound to not be able to make it. I would double check with whoever is coordinating the event though, before I sent out invitations to 10 people...

CYSAC06 said:
To get technical, the order form page says "You may invite up to four people," not four invitations for as many people as you want on each. This makes sense, if you think about it. Rackham auditorium has around 1100 seats. 170 students and 4 guests per student is 850 people (170*5). If you bet maybe another 100-150 faculty and other guests of the University, you're looking at 950-1000 right there.

By that math, it seems they need to limit everybody to four to five guests tops. Writing two names on invitations seems to be an excuse for U of M to save money on the cost of invitations. To be honest, I don't think we will fill the place to capacity and anyone who shows up probably has a decent shot of finding a seat. Guests are bound to not be able to make it. I would double check with whoever is coordinating the event though, before I sent out invitations to 10 people...

Yeah...makes sense...thanks

CYSAC06 said:
Writing two names on invitations seems to be an excuse for U of M to save money on the cost of invitations.
Or just their way of letting you know that if you want to invite your parents (and they live together) that you can just fill out one combined invitation, not two separate ones... :idea:

SailCrazy said:
Or just their way of letting you know that if you want to invite your parents (and they live together) that you can just fill out one combined invitation, not two separate ones... :idea:

I agree completely. I definitely didn't intend that as harsh as it might have come off.

Members don't see this ad :)
so, I'm pretty confused about how the whole football-tix thing works at UM...

I definitely want to go to games, but having never attended a college with a real football team I'm not sure it's something I would do religiously. So season tickets may be getting ahead of myself.

But if I don't get season tickets... is it still easy to get single tickets later? And will I be able to sit with everyone else? Are seats actually assigned?

Hopefully some experienced Wolverines can enlighten me :p

amandil said:

I definitely want to go to games, but having never attended a college with a real football team I'm not sure it's something I would do religiously. So season tickets may be getting ahead of myself.

But if I don't get season tickets... is it still easy to get single tickets later? And will I be able to sit with everyone else? Are seats actually assigned?

Hi everyone,

I think I posted on this thread a while ago, but I've been AWOL for a while, so I wanted to reintroduce myself to my future classmates.

I've got the same question--I'd love to attend football games, but I'm not so sure I can commit to a full season of football. Especially since I've had the game explained to me about a million times and I still can't fully understand it. :p I'm kind of thinking I should ease myself into football culture than dive right in.

Is anyone here living in a medical fraternity next year?

I'm not a U of M undergrad, but since none of them have offered any feedback and today is the last day (I think) to register for tickets, I'll offer mine:

I'd guess that if you're thinking of going to 1/2 of the games or more, then buy tickets. The games are fun no matter what, and student tickets aren't too expensive (all relative.) If you just want to go to a game or two and don't dare which games they are, then don't buy season tickets. Also, it may be easier to sell off extra tickets than to find them.

That said, this year does not offer an outstanding home schedule. Notre Dame, Penn State, and Ohio State are all away. Michigan State is really the only "big rivalry" game at home. Iowa & Wisconsin are solid Big Ten matchups and can make for great games, but they aren't the marquee names that some other schools offer.

Okay... so I may have talked myself out of my initial recommendation to buy tickets. As long as you don't mind missing the Michigan/Michigan St. game (the only home "big game" of the year and not really one to be missed - so tickets will be expensive and/or unavailable) then you may be more likely to find extra tickets this year than in previous years.

That's just my $0.02 and I could be totally wrong, but at least you have another random opinion to consider. :D

amandil said:

yes, you can buy tickets in a group. the seating priority goes to the lowest ranked student in the group; meaning, if someone in your group is a freshman, 0 credits, then all of you will get the nose bleed seats. Seats are assigned and if you join the med group, you'll be sitting with the rest of us. Group: MED, PW: MED. Hope this helps.

If any of you are in AA and would like to try the white coats before getting them, you can do that at the Uniform store in the plaza behind Wendy's on Plymouth road. At least for the ladies, the M is actually a large at most clothing stores. If you're not sure, go check it out.

happydays said:
yes, you can buy tickets in a group. the seating priority goes to the lowest ranked student in the group; meaning, if someone in your group is a freshman, 0 credits, then all of you will get the nose bleed seats. Seats are assigned and if you join the med group, you'll be sitting with the rest of us. Group: MED, PW: MED. Hope this helps.

well, since I do want to sit with everyone else, I think you've convinced me to get the season tix. But now the website is down!! Hopefully I can get it in before midnight... *crosses fingers*

amandil said:
well, since I do want to sit with everyone else, I think you've convinced me to get the season tix. But now the website is down!! Hopefully I can get it in before midnight... *crosses fingers*
So... any luck?!?

amandil said:

If the website still gave you trouble, email [email protected] and tell them that you tried to order online but received error messages. That's what I did and they let me order tickets today, despite the Jun 27 deadline.

Chopianista said:
If the website still gave you trouble, email [email protected] and tell them that you tried to order online but received error messages. That's what I did and they let me order tickets today, despite the Jun 27 deadline.

Well, I called them this morning and was told I should send an email... hopefully, my email wasn't too late! I guess I'll know tomorrow.

Do ya'll have recommendations on banks in Ann Arbor (free checking, no minimum balance, etc.)?

amandil said:
Wow, leave the country for a month and you miss out on a lot!!! I had 9 pages of UM posts to catch up on :eek:

Reading ti's mad-impressive calculations reminded me of a link I have (I think from some ancient SDN post somewhere) to a Rent vs. Buy online calculator:

http://www.firsthomebuyers.net/rentvsbuycalculator2.htm

...and now after reading all these posts I feel really behind because I STILL don't know where I'm living! Is anyone else still homeless?

LOL I am (homeless)

WenfeiX said:
Do ya'll have recommendations on banks in Ann Arbor (free checking, no minimum balance, etc.)?

I'm a member of TCF Bank, and I'm pretty sure they're still offering both free checking and no minimum balance (that's the deal I received when I was an incoming student). I'm pretty sure they're still offering that, but maybe someone else can confirm that for sure. They have multiple branches around Ann Arbor (South U, Liberty St., Stadium, etc) and ATMs all over campus.

SailCrazy said:
So... any luck?!?

aaaack! Yes and no. Yes, I was able to place an order for season tickets... but no, 'cause now they're no longer letting people join groups! So I'm not in the MED group. :(

Does anyone know if this really, truly means I can't sit with you guys?

And if so... can I sit on someone's lap? :idea:

amandil said:
aaaack! Yes and no. Yes, I was able to place an order for season tickets... but no, 'cause now they're no longer letting people join groups! So I'm not in the MED group. :(

Your ticket (depending on your section assignment) might not allow you to enter the same gate as the MED group section, but you'll have no problem making your way over to the MED group once you're in the stadium. And for the record, no one actually sits at Wolverine games (at least not in the undergrad student section... perhaps the med students are more sophisticated?!)

Chopianista said:
Your ticket (depending on your section assignment) might not allow you to enter the same gate as the MED group section, but you'll have no problem making your way over to the MED group once you're in the stadium.

ok, phew! thanks, I feel much better now. *^_^*

Chopianista said:
And for the record, no one actually sits at Wolverine games (at least not in the undergrad student section... perhaps the med students are more sophisticated?!)

whups. Man, the things I missed out on in college...

RollingStone said:
I'm a member of TCF Bank, and I'm pretty sure they're still offering both free checking and no minimum balance (that's the deal I received when I was an incoming student). I'm pretty sure they're still offering that, but maybe someone else can confirm that for sure. They have multiple branches around Ann Arbor (South U, Liberty St., Stadium, etc) and ATMs all over campus.
Free Ipod nano (or $100) with checking and direct deposit. (With TCF)

Hey Fellow M0s,

I've planned a M0 Summer BBQ for Saturday July 29th. If you're interested in partaking in the activities, PM me and I'll send you the details. Later!

amandil said:

Sure... only $40 for the entire season (+ $10 if you order the "SailCrazy's lap" season t-shirt.) :laugh:

Found My Tablet PC for $1,652.06

It's waaaay better that what they have on umich's site

ACER TRAVELMATE C314XMI PENTIUM M 760 2.0GHZ / 1GB / 100GB HDD / 14.1" XGA / DVD+/-RW / XP TABLET / 802.11BG WIRELESS

here's the site
http://www.mwave.com/mwave/viewspec.hmx?scriteria=3716012

all it needs is office and you can buy it from the computer showcase if you want.

richthig said:
Found another one. smaller screen though

Acer TravelMate C200 TMC204TMi 2.0GHz Intel Pentium M
Windows XP Tablet PC Edition - 100 GB Hard Drive - 1 GB RAM - DVD-RW, DVD+RW Drive - 12.1 in Screen

Price: $1,090.00

I think this is what I will get.

http://electrodomi.com/product_info.php?products_id=52

What's your feeling on this model vs. the IBM/Lenovo X41?

amandil said:
What's your feeling on this model vs. the IBM/Lenovo X41?

Processor:
IBM Lenovo x41
Intel Pentium M (1.5 GHz)

Acer Travel mate c200
2.0GHz Intel Pentium M

edge: ACER

Hard Drive:
IBM Lenovo x41
40 GB @ 4200RPM

Acer Travel mate c200
100 GB

RAM
IBM Lenovo x41
512 MB

Acer Travel mate c200
1GB

Optical Drive
IBM Lenovo x41
External CDrw/DVD+rw

Acer Travel mate c200
Internal DVD±RW (+R Dual Layer)

Weight
IBM
3.5 lbs

Acer
5.17 lbs
edge: IBM

Screen Size
IBM
12.1 in

Acer
12.1 in
edge: tie

Ports and connections
IBM
2 USB 2.0, Ir, 1PCMCIA, 1SD

Acer
4 in 1 Card reader(SD/MMC/MS/MS PRO), three USB 2.0 ports, Ir and Bluetooth, 1pcmcia,
edge: Acer

Verdict: Ibm's only advantage is it's weight. if you want a lightweight, expensive($1,947.94) underpowered computer get the ibm. you can always upgrade the ram and hd.

richthig said:
Verdict: Ibm's only advantage is it's weight. if you want a lightweight, expensive($1,947.94) underpowered computer get the ibm. you can always upgrade the ram and hd.

So, I'm ok with the CPU on the X41, but I would defn upgrade the RAM to 1GB and the HD to at least 60 (but preferably 80-100) GB. I really want a laptop that's lighter because I got tired of lugging around my 5 lb T30 in college (yeah, I'm a wimp :rolleyes: ). I also know someone who works for IBM, so I think I can get a pretty good discount... it'll still be at least $1500 though :( I think the models available to IBM employees also come with extra stuff like bluetooth and the new verizon internet thing...

Good to see there will be some more tablet users at Michigan! I've been checking out these sites, they've got some good info (especially the general forum at tabletpcbuzz):
www.studenttabletpc.com
www.tabletpcbuzz.com
www.tabletpcreviewspot.com

I just ordered the new Toshiba M7. It's bigger and more expensive than most tablets (14.1" widescreen, ~6 lbs), but it has a core duo processor and dedicated graphics. I'm getting into photoshop and some video editing, so I need the power.

It's too bad school starts so early for us. A lot of new models (both tablet and laptop) are coming out now, so older models go on sale, but likely too late for us to make us of them. Back to school sales tend to start too late for us too...

dajimmers said:
It's too bad school starts so early for us. A lot of new models (both tablet and laptop) are coming out now, so older models go on sale, but likely too late for us to make us of them. Back to school sales tend to start too late for us too...

Not necessarily true. I just got a Dell Latitude D620 with tons of upgrades for an incredible price. About a month ago, I registered as a student on dell.com and gave them the okay to send me updates by e-mail. On Thursday, I got a coupon by e-mail for 30% off any system $999 or more. On top of that, since it was a system over $1600 with a 3 or 4 yr. service package, I got another 12% discount after the original 30% off.

In short this is what I got:
Intel Core Duo T2500 (2.00GHz) 667 Mhz Dual Core Processor
14.1" Wide Screen WXGA LCD Screen
2.0 GB Memory
80 GB Hard Drive, 7200 RPM
Touchpad with UPEK Fingerprint Reader
8X DVD +/-RW
Intel 3945 802.11 a/g Dual-Band Mini Card

Regular Price: $2,043
My Price: $1,258

Needless to say I was pretty excited. Had I just gone with the same model that is available through the med school, it probably would have cost me $800, instead of the $1500 that they want.

Last edited:
I'm considering making my purchase in the very near future. I'm not especially interested in a tablet, not too obsessed with weight, and want a machine that will perform well for some time. (I won't be buying again anytime soon!)

What do you all think of this Dell?

Dell E1505 Dual Core

Intel® Core™ Duo processor T2500 (2MB Cache/2GHz/667MHz FSB)
15.4 inch UltraSharp™ Wide Screen SXGA+ Display with TrueLife™
2GB Shared Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM at 533MHZ, 2 DIMM
256MB ATI MOBILITY™ RADEON® X1400 HyperMemory™ Video Card
100GB 7200rpm SATA Hard Drive
Integrated 10/100 Network Card and Modem
8X CD/DVD Burner (DVD+/-RW) with double-layer DVD+R write capability
Integrated Sound Blaster® Audigy™ HD Software Edition
Intel PRO/Wireless 3945 802.11a/g Mini Card (54Mbps)
Notebook Expansion Dock w/ Stand
Other minor upgrades and additions

"List" price: $2756
Total price after discounts: $1665

--- EDIT ---
FYI: the Total Price was to my door, including Michigan sales tax. The "sticker price" after discount was something like $1575

Does anyone know if most laptops are set up for dual screen? I'm considering picking up a larger flatscreen monitor for use at home and wondered if I'd be able to use both the laptop screen and external monitor at the same time. I know it can be done, but don't really know how or if most laptops have that as a standard capability.

SailCrazy said:

Dell E1505 Dual Core

In my inexpert opinion... pretty freakin' sweet. But in reference to BDiesel's comment, I would double-check if the 802.11a/g wireless card works at UM. It probably does, but it doesn't hurt to check.

From their website: http://www.itcom.itd.umich.edu/wireless/getstarted.html

"What do I need to use this network?
You will need a computer with an IEEE 802.11a/b/g or IEEE 802.11b/g wireless LAN network card and network browser. Although they will work, devices that only utilize the IEEE 802.11b standard are not recommended."

SailCrazy said:
Does anyone know if most laptops are set up for dual screen? I'm considering picking up a larger flatscreen monitor for use at home and wondered if I'd be able to use both the laptop screen and external monitor at the same time. I know it can be done, but don't really know how or if most laptops have that as a standard capability.

I'm not sure about most laptops... but on the IBM laptops that I've owned, there's a fn key that toggles between three modes: laptop screen only, external monitor only, and both simultaneously.

BDiesel said:
Zut Alors,

Is your wireless car 802.11 a/g or b/g? I believe that the U of M network is on 802.11 b so you might want to double check that.

Yeah, sometimes Dell has these incredible deals that you can only find out about if you're really paying attention. They had a one-day sale a while back and I got a pretty good laptop for about a grand. Sweet.

B

It is 802.11 a/g. All 802.11g wireless cards are backwards compatible with 802.11b networks. It is just the newer form of the technology. However, you don't want to buy a card that is only 802.11a compatible.

Zut Alors said:
It is 802.11 a/g. All 802.11g wireless cards are backwards compatible with 802.11b networks. It is just the newer form of the technology. However, you don't want to buy a card that is only 802.11a compatible.
Yea, the details of the "stock" computer in the UofM Computer Showcase allude to that: "Intel 3945 WiFi 802.11a/g wireless (compatible with 802.11b)"

SailCrazy said:
I'm considering making my purchase in the very near future. I'm not especially interested in a tablet, not too obsessed with weight, and want a machine that will perform well for some time. (I won't be buying again anytime soon!)

Dell E1505 Dual Core

--- EDIT ---
FYI: the Total Price was to my door, including Michigan sales tax. The "sticker price" after discount was something like $1575
amandil said:
In my inexpert opinion... pretty freakin' sweet.
Anyone else have an opinion? A few subtle additions that you may not have noticed are the 100 GB hard drive - the faster (7200rpm vs. 5400rpm) speed, and the notebook expansion dock allows you to use the laptop like (more like) a desktop when at home.

These deals come and go so I may order today/tomorrow. I had the same machine priced similarly three weeks ago, but waited and the deals went away. They recently came back, so I think I might jump on it.

SailCrazy said:
Anyone else have an opinion? A few subtle additions that you may not have noticed are the 100 GB hard drive - the faster (7200rpm vs. 5400rpm) speed, and the notebook expansion dock allows you to use the laptop like (more like) a desktop when at home.

These deals come and go so I may order today/tomorrow. I had the same machine priced similarly three weeks ago, but waited and the deals went away. They recently came back, so I think I might jump on it.

seems like a great computer. where are you buying from? I'd like to check it out.

So when is everyone moving to Ann Arbor?

Are people mainly living in Med Center Court and Island Drive?

I'm showing up in AA on July 12th and will be living in Med Center Court if anyone wants to get together for some M0 hang outs or partying. :D

I'm not moving until the 4th of August. I'm staying in graduate housing with my wife.

My wife and I are moving into Island Drive appts. on July 16 (well, throughout that week). We'll be moving stuff from East Lansing to Ann Arbor that week, but we'll be up for any M0 activites that come up...

Anyone else get a good laugh out of the challenge program sheets? The page and a half of safety/lawyer/warning information made me chuckle. We won't be doing anything more dangerous than we did on elementary school playgrounds (well at least no more than I did). But the lawyers win nonetheless.

I'm actually excited for the orientation. Sure, it's got "annoying" ice breakers, lectures, and team building activities, but I'm somewhat excited to do them. Meet (somewhat) new people, get outside, grow some friendships. It's like junior high, all over again...

richthig said:
seems like a great computer. where are you buying from? I'd like to check it out.
I just clicked on the Dell link at the bottom of the Computer Showcase page and then customized my own machine from there. The more expensivce computers have a bigger % discount, so then end up being a pretty good deal. The discounts don't all show up until you're in the cart, so be sure to work your way all the way through the process before you see the final price.