~*~*~Official USUHS Class of 2011 Thread~*~*~

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I mention that because those "banana" covers that women are supposed to wear are AWFUL and as soon as the message came out letting us wear the men's style, I tossed all my old bananas and did a little dance. I HATED those things!

Oh, come on! You know those :banana: :banana: :banana: covers are totally HOT!!! :laugh:

They can't be worse than a :banana: hammock! :eek:

Members don't see this ad.

??:confused: So expressing my ignorance here... you are PHS, right? Do you wear a separate uniform or "Navy" uniforms (basing this question only on the PHS website that looks like all Navy uniforms)? I'll answer based on the Navy uniform version - I can't help you if is something totally different! (Of course, I may not be all that much help either way! :laugh: )

Navy has women's and men's specific tailoring for pants - with a significant differences in hip widths and reversed button/zip on both the pants and the tops. I doubt anyone would really notice if you wore men's pants, though you'd have to wear the men's shirt too so that your "gig" line matches up... women's belts are smaller too.... so while you could probably make it work, I'm not sure there is much point.

That being said, you can ABSOLUTELY wear the men's garrison cover. I mention that because those "banana" covers that women are supposed to wear are AWFUL and as soon as the message came out letting us wear the men's style, I tossed all my old bananas and did a little dance. I HATED those things!

Thanks!

Yeah, they're all Navy uniforms except for one Army sweater. I tried both men's and women's on, and the men's pants were so much comfier since they sit lower...maybe it's just my body type. Have you ever actually seen anyone do this and not get reprimanded?

Thanks!

Yeah, they're all Navy uniforms except for one Army sweater. I tried both men's and women's on, and the men's pants were so much comfier since they sit lower...maybe it's just my body type. Have you ever actually seen anyone do this and not get reprimanded?

Personally, I don't think much reprimanding is going to be happening in the PHS. I know a guy who retired as a Captain in the PHS. His uniform standards were completely below par, but he managed to advance in rank! I think you will be okay!

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks!

Here's the ugly secret - I'm sure I'll get flamed at some point for this... but that fact is that NO ONE knows the women's reqs except other women. If you look like a dirt ball, then someone might pull you aside and explain that things aren't to spec, but you are HIGHLY unlikely to get flamed.

If they are more comfortable and you can pull of the look professionally you'll be fine. I used to wear a male belt with my coveralls on ship because the female belts were too narrow to hold all my random watch gear (flashlight, multi-tool that I never used, TLD, emergency air) without twisting and digging into my hip bone. No one ever noticed.

Oh, come on! You know those :banana: :banana: :banana: covers are totally HOT!!! :laugh:

They can't be worse than a :banana: hammock! :eek:

I knew someone would go for the "banana dance"!! :laugh:

You think the male garrison covers look like hammocks? I wouldn't say they were fashion statements, but I wouldn't have described them as hammocks. Better than the black puffball covers (I don't even know the real term for them... I just think of them as poufs)....

I knew someone would go for the "banana dance"!! :laugh:

You think the male garrison covers look like hammocks? I wouldn't say they were fashion statements, but I wouldn't have described them as hammocks. Better than the black puffball covers (I don't even know the real term for them... I just think of them as poufs)....

Sorry! Banana hammock is another term for a male speedo - I didn't mean the garrison cover! :laugh:

EDIT: I was just wrapped up in the banana theme!

Sorry! Banana hammock is another term for a male speedo - I didn't mean the garrison cover! :laugh:

EDIT: I was just wrapped up in the banana theme!

:oops: Oops...

Well, I guess what they say is true... you learn something new everyday. I never knew the Speedo's alias....of course, I should have been more cautious with any banana references around this group!! :laugh:

Of course some speedos are better:

speedo.jpg

than others....
http://www.agirlandaboy.com/journal/archives/000951.html

http://www.agirlandaboy.com/journal/archives/speedo%20me.bmp

Thanks for the advice, runningmom and Bubblehead!

Thought for the Day: Waiting for orders is like sitting in a rocking chair. It gives you something to do for awhile, but it doesn't get you anywhere.

...ARRRRRGGGG

anyways, good to see the "banana-hammock" is still alive and well...i hadn't heard that in waaay too long :laugh:

Thought for the Day: Waiting for orders is like sitting in a rocking chair. It gives you something to do for awhile, but it doesn't get you anywhere.

...ARRRRRGGGG

I NEED those orders! I am finding out you cannot do anything without orders in the Military (like arrange a flight down to OBC when you can't drive because you graduate a day before you are supposed to reoprt). Someone send me something..........:scared:

I NEED those orders! I am finding out you cannot do anything without orders in the Military (like arrange a flight down to OBC when you can't drive because you graduate a day before you are supposed to reoprt). Someone send me something..........:scared:

Wow, thats gotta be frustrating. I just want mine so I can get on a base to try on some ACUs/Boots so I dont waste money buying ones that dont fit online. I did get an reply from Louise Taylor last week...

"Your orders have been requested but the AMEDD Center and School at Fort Sam Houston has not issued a fund site yet. Usually I get an advanced copy of your orders by e-mail. As soon as I receive them I will send a copy to you."

Whatever that means :confused: ......I just hope they come sooner as opposed to later.

Hmm thats odd because I did get something that
looked like orders in my e-mail a couple of days ago,
but it wasnt from Louise Taylor. I didn't think much
of it because I thought something official like orders
would come in the regular mail.

I was actually about to order uniforms online. Do you
guys recommend I go to a base and buy them there??
If anyone where I can go near northern NJ that would
be helpful.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hmm thats odd because I did get something that
looked like orders in my e-mail a couple of days ago,
but it wasnt from Louise Taylor. I didn't think much
of it because I thought something official like orders
would come in the regular mail.

I was actually about to order uniforms online. Do you
guys recommend I go to a base and buy them there??
If anyone where I can go near northern NJ that would
be helpful.

Orders can be and often are emailed.... did you read through it? It'll have report no later than dates and funding codes at the end for your travel and move. Good luck!

How long did it take for everyone to get their orders for AF?

I am still at my full time job and i feel like the week before COT will be a huge scramble to get everything together.

Also- for those renting apartments - when are you planning on moving?

Finally got my email orders today:D !! I guess my complaining got me somewhere...

So does anyone know if we need to do anything special in order to get base access besides show up with an ID and orders? Or do you have to have your oath of office too? I'm hoping to get down to Ft Knox in the next week or so to get some ACUs/boots. Also, and this may be kinda stupid, but would an Air Force Px sell Army ACUs?? I'm only wondering b/c Wright-Pat AFB is much closer to the Nasti than Ft Knox (45 min vs. ~3hrs)

Congrats on finally getting orders! ...maybe that means mine will be in soon.....

I've been to two AF bases looking for Army uniforms and neither had them. I think you have to go to an Army base :(

I received an email regarding Oath of Office for Navy. Does that mean my orders are on their way as well? Do all branches email orders?

I received an email regarding Oath of Office for Navy. Does that mean my orders are on their way as well? Do all branches email orders?

Oath of office just means you will be commissioned as an officer in the Navy. Your orders will come soon. All the branches email their orders out it seems.

Finally got my email orders today:D !! I guess my complaining got me somewhere...

So does anyone know if we need to do anything special in order to get base access besides show up with an ID and orders? Or do you have to have your oath of office too? I'm hoping to get down to Ft Knox in the next week or so to get some ACUs/boots. Also, and this may be kinda stupid, but would an Air Force Px sell Army ACUs?? I'm only wondering b/c Wright-Pat AFB is much closer to the Nasti than Ft Knox (45 min vs. ~3hrs)

If you dont have any luck at Wright Patt, then you should come to Rickenbacker here in South Columbus. I guess that will be like an 1 hr 45 for you, but still better than 3 hours. Plus the PX is not actually within the confines of the post gates. If you have trouble buying the ACUs I will give you my phone number and we can meet and I will go with you so there is no hassle. Oh by the way, I work full time here at Rickenbacker, just in case you need help with any of this Army stuff.

Also Camp Atterbury, IN is only about 1 hr 25 min away, depending on your location in Cincy

Also Camp Atterbury, IN is only about 1 hr 25 min away, depending on your location in Cincy

THANKS, that should save me wasting a whole day to drive to Knox!!! :thumbup:

Woohoo! Orders have arrived. Now I can start setting up our move (this has been my biggest worry as I have heard summer is a bad time to get things setup). I am a little bothered by the fact I can't take my oath of office until June 6th (according to the paperwork they sent) which means I won't be able to get my ID until later. Good luck to everyone still waiting to get their orders and congrats to everyone who has.

Congrats to all receiving orders! I know that must be a huge weight off your shoulders!

Good luck with the household goods moves!

Hey all, I need some health.

I need to Oath in ASAP (air force) but I don't understand who exactly I am supposed to go to, or how to find them. Any advice or pointers?

Try the ROTC at your school, or a local Recruiting or Reserve/Guard post. It doesnt matter what service, as long as its by an officer, the details are on the form.

There's a recruiter's office a few blocks from my work, I was going to just run over there... should be ok, right?

Hey all you excited gunners,

I was looking for a completely other thread but couldn't help but look onto this one when I saw "USUHS".

I'm glad you are all excited about joining us at USU. I'm a third year (for four more weeks!) here, and just wanted to welcome all you to the family, so to speak.

Anyhoo, I am in the Air Force, so if anyone has any specific questions regarding uniforms, etc. feel free to ask. I didn't go to COT b/c I actually didn't get accepted until after that May 15th deadline. I got to go to MOST, which is pretend officer training at USUHS. Loved it, it was great.

Other questions about school in general I'll try my best to answer. I'm doing outpatient medicine right now, so I have a little time (I think? Step 2 in 62 days).

So, send me an email, I won't actually check this board again.
[email protected]

Enjoy your summer while you still can!!!
Katie

I'd call first to make sure there's an officer there who can do it. I can't say but I feel like recruiting offices are probably mostly staffed by enlisted personnel. But if not they might be able to hook you up with an officer somewhere else.

I just went to the county courthouse (clerk of courts office) to take my oath.

Go Navy... Hurry up and wait...

Go Navy... Hurry up and wait...

Well, at least you aren't surprised by it!! :laugh:

None of the Navy guys have orders, right? But Army and Air Force all do? Or are they coming out piecemeal? I was told third hand that "your orders were being worked on on Thursday" (meaning last Thursday) but other than that, I haven't heard anything. Of course, I don't need orders as urgently as the OIS crowd... so I'll wait patiently in the back of the line while you guys get your orders...

So wait - i got accepted after the may 15th as well - and i am wondering how long its going to take to get all this stuff together.

Correct me if i'm wrong:

i just got a conditional - it says i need to send my official transcripts (wish they had told me while i was waitlisted) - so i have to wait till i get my unconditional - then i have to wait for orders to do anything (get uniforms, move my crap, oath, etc) all before july 2nd for COT?

what is the deal with the most?

sorry, just a little overwhelmed - working a fulltime job until late june to help my wonderful boss out and really wondering about getting everything done.

Hey all, I need some health.

I need to Oath in ASAP (air force) but I don't understand who exactly I am supposed to go to, or how to find them. Any advice or pointers?

Good lord, I wrote "health" instead of "help" :laugh:

Good lord, I wrote "health" instead of "help" :laugh:

Hey, health can be quite helpful...

Anyways, so in a recent episode of procrastination from finishing my thesis, I stumbled upon some issues of Soldiers, Sailors, and Airman, a newsletter from AMSA's Mil-Med group. There's one with some helpful advice for OBC/COT/OIC from students who were there last year. I'm sure some of you have already seen this or are familiar, but for those who aren't here's the link http://www.amsa.org/military/SSA1.pdf. There are some other issues on AMSA's military page as well, in case any of you are in need of some procrastination material like me. :laugh: Enjoy...

Farmy- that was sooooo useful, thank you!

Anyone in AF arranged their move yet? I am soooo sure I am going to end up doing a DITY, which wouldn't be so bad, but I am afraid I can't get reimbursed for it because I have to move before COT because my lease runs out in the middle, and my effective duty date is 2 days before I have to at COT! any insight?

So wait - i got accepted after the may 15th as well - and i am wondering how long its going to take to get all this stuff together.

Correct me if i'm wrong:

i just got a conditional - it says i need to send my official transcripts (wish they had told me while i was waitlisted) - so i have to wait till i get my unconditional - then i have to wait for orders to do anything (get uniforms, move my crap, oath, etc) all before july 2nd for COT?

what is the deal with the most?

sorry, just a little overwhelmed - working a fulltime job until late june to help my wonderful boss out and really wondering about getting everything done.

Hey MeMoMa just to let you know, I received my unconditional
acceptance, and I haven't submitted transcripts yet. I don't think
that is part of the process, its only security and health clearance.

Hey do any of you commissioned Navy guys know when we will recieve our orders from BUPERS to report to USUHS? I commissioned this May and am currently stashed at my NROTC unit (and loving it....officer pay and I get to hang out in a college town for the summer!). Also about what time in August will these orders have us reporting to USUHS? Is this considered a PCS or TDY move (a couple ensigns I know going to Pensacola are having trouble getting all their stuff moved due to the 600lb limit on TDY).

Thanks for the help and see you guys in the fall!

Hey do any of you commissioned Navy guys know when we will recieve our orders from BUPERS to report to USUHS? I commissioned this May and am currently stashed at my NROTC unit (and loving it....officer pay and I get to hang out in a college town for the summer!). Also about what time in August will these orders have us reporting to USUHS? Is this considered a PCS or TDY move (a couple ensigns I know going to Pensacola are having trouble getting all their stuff moved due to the 600lb limit on TDY).

Thanks for the help and see you guys in the fall!

This is def a PCS move - anything over 6 months is PCS....

I was told last week that orders would be coming "soon".. whatever that means I'm not sure. I bet we'll be behind the guys going to OIS since we have a little more time to receive orders.

Michelle Thomas should be able to tell you when your anticipated arrival/check in date is. I was told 6 Aug was the earliest possible check in.

Thanks Re3iRtH!

Hello all! I just found this thread today on SDN and it's already been a great source of info. I was waitlisted until 15 May and I sent my acceptance letter to USUHS on 23 May. Some info about me:

- USAFA grad 1996, BS Civil and Environmental Engineering
- Currently a Major, USAF at Seymour Johnson AFB, NC in charge of Airfield Ops (air traffic control and arfld mgmt)
- Spent the last year doing Org Chem online :( - still got in though!!
- Married (AF Reserve Capt) with one child

I won't attend COT or MOST since I'm already active duty...in fact I'm still a little confused as to the timeline, but I think I will be on leave for about 50 days and in the meantime I will do a PTDY househunting trip. I will most likely show up on 10 Aug or so in order to keep my current rank as long as possible - but that means I will have to scramble to finalize a house and move in my household goods.

My wife and I are both excited to get to the DC area - we are interested in Germantown, Gaithersburg, Kensington and Silver Springs. We have two huge dogs to add to the mix, so it is more difficult to find a place---we are also very interested in daycare so please keep the posts about that coming as you find out. I am a runner, road biker and mountain biker, so I am very interested in biking to school for those that are talking about it.

I've been impressed with the caliber and excitement I've seen on the forum already and I look forward to meeting you all!

:clap: yeah dog people! we have two as well. btw, I live in kensington and would definitely reccomend it- good for dogs & kids!

Runningmom, that is a great website - thanks for the link

I just returned from a house hunting trip and put an offer in for a condo in Bethesda. I found out it was accepted yesterday! I couldn't be happier with the location.

I'm looking for 1 roommate. Anyone interested?

The address is: 37 Dudley Court, #24, Bethesda, MD 20814

It's 2 bed/2.5 baths, so you'd get a nice size bedroom and a whole bathroom to yourself.

I just posted a note and some pictures on facebook.

The exterior may not look too appealing, but the interior is quite nice and spacious. It just got renovated. The location couldn't be more ideal!!! USUHS is ~ 1-1.5 miles away. As soon as you step on the sidewalk out of the complex, there's a metro shuttle bus that'll give you a free ride to the metro stop in front of school. It's easily walkable, and when the weather doesn't permit, there's a bus that will take you from door to door.

Have a look, if you're interested.

Hello,
I am new to this thread today, so I thought I'd introduce myself:
Recently accepted off of PHS wait list. I am a physical therapist, currently living/working in North Carolina, but worked 5 years active duty in New Mexico (and originally from Maryland). I am married with a 6 year-old daughter (and a 3 year-old big dog). Ecstatic to be coming to USUHS this fall (didnt' think I would get in this year!). :)
Congrats to everyone accepted, looking forward to meeting everyone. Thank you for the info posted on this thread, it has been very helpful!

We are hoping to buy a home in Kensington area, also hope to bike to work. Can anyone recommend and good lenders or realtors in area? We plan to be in area for a few days, starting this weekend, to look around.

I can't reccomend a realtor but I will say that Kensington (where I live) and Randolph Hills (shout out to runningmom) are excellent areas. We decided to rent for the time being, but we love where we live. And biking in to work is a key part of that love. Straight down Beach, right on Summit (also known as Cedar) then a loop right onto the base. Sweet little ride with minimal traffic! Much better then when I used to commute down Georgia to Walter Reed in rush hour - thats a little scary even for me!

PM if you need anything while you are in the area.