~*~*~Official USUHS Class of 2011 Thread~*~*~

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
For someone who is going to be looking at housing in the near future, what's the drive like from Germantown and Gaithersburg respectively? Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

For someone who is going to be looking at housing in the near future, what's the drive like from Germantown and Gaithersburg respectively? Thanks.

The commute from Germantown can vary quite a bit, depending on the area in which you live. My place is off exit 13 on I-270 (Middlebrook Rd), which is just a few miles north of Gaithersburg. I live 18 miles from USUHS, and it took me 25 minutes to get there one morning when I left at 6 am (my planned departure time during med school). One thing you have to consider is that the flow of traffic on I-270 is at about 80 mph when you're not in bumper-to-bumper traffic. :thumbup:

Considering the size of both Gaithersburg and Germantown, that commute could vary by 5 - 15 minutes.

I'm feeling jealous!!!

You know there is a MARC train from Germantown about every 20 minutes in the morning start at 0530, right? Takes 1 hr to get to Union Station and then 24 minutes to get to the medical center on the Red Line. Probably not something you want to do everyday, but maybe nice to have the option. At least you could study on the train rather than fume in traffic!

Or you could get off at the Garrett Park stop and bike in with me!! (Yeah, I talk big - I have great intentions of biking in, but since I still haven't done the route yet, I probably should shut my big mouth! :laugh:)

A 4th year acquaintance of mine who lives in Germantown says he would bike to the bus every morning and then load his bike on the bus front. He would use that bus time to study or just get some extra sleep ;) This bus would take him right in front of the campus I believe.

Members don't see this ad :)
Heads up for uniform buyers: I just went through a crazy process with AAFES trying to buy my uniforms for OBC this summer and had to special order some things because I'm so short (my ACUs are XXS). It took almost three months for everything to come in. So, if anyone thinks that they might run into that kind of problem, I recommend trying to buy stuff asap. Also, I don't know about the other branches, but Army says that they usually run out of average sizes like Med/Reg.

:eek:
class 2011 WOOT!
now on to learn about facebook...

I'm getting an apartment in germantown starting 5/20 and thinking about my move from Houston TX.
I tried contacting JPPSO (as instructed by orientation booklet)...found out that you can't do much w/o orders. Emailed Michelle Anderson-Thomas, and she said orders should be out within a week or so.
I'll keep posting my progress with JPPSO, hopefully I'll be the only one to make mistakes.

GOOD! I actually sent an email to Ms. Taylor today asking when they'd be out. I talked to a first year on my second visit and he said he didn't get his until like 3 days before the report date :eek: , so hopefully none of us experience that again.

It's also good to see there are some runners. I actually just got into the whole distance running thing and ran my first half-marathon just this past Sunday. It was pretty awesome, but I don't think I'm gonna be up for a full by October since I'm still a newbie...BUT a full marathon is definately in my future :thumbup:

Oh, and GO ARMY!!

Well I guess I cant be Debbie Downer anymore, I got the call this AM. Whew! Im leaving for TDY tonight for a week, and was going to be sweating it the whole time.

See you all at OBC on 10 June.

Personal:

SSG Gabriel Pavey
11 years USMC 2 Army
University of California Irvine
never married, 1 two year old son living with his mom in Columbus, OH
gonna live in Springfield, VA with a friend for a while

Well I guess I cant be Debbie Downer anymore, I got the call this AM. Whew! Im leaving for TDY tonight for a week, and was going to be sweating it the whole time.

Personal:

SSG Gabriel Pavey
11 years USMC 2 Army

Awesome! We're going to have another former Marine in the class! Congrats!!!

Personal:

SSG Gabriel Pavey
11 years USMC 2 Army

CONGRATS!!!! :clap: :hardy: :clap:

Personal:

SSG Gabriel Pavey
11 years USMC 2 Army

Congrats

Do we have anyone from the Northeast/Tri-state area
shopping around for housing?

Because I will probably drive in (Bethesda is 4 hrs from my
house in NJ) in late May or early June, this is very flexible,
I can virtually go whenever.

So if anyone is interested in carpooling, it would be awesome
to have a fellow classmate (and possibly future roommate) to
check out the area, I have a few places I'm interested in seeing,
but the more the better.

Personal:

SSG Gabriel Pavey
11 years USMC 2 Army
Congrats!!!

I just got the call... there will be no more hating the waiting! Go Army... (roommates wanted)

Congrats everyone who heard the good news recently!

Members don't see this ad :)
I just got the call... there will be no more hating the waiting! Go Army... (roommates wanted)

Here comes that Army waitlist movement that you all have been waiting on! Congrats!!!

So, what are you going to do about your username now that you no longer Hate the Wait? :p

Navy Rules! Army Drools!

Anyone on the Navy waitlist? I never knew being on the waitlist can cause so much anxiety.

Grats to everyone who has heard recently.
Welcome aboard!!

Hi everyone. I've made a couple of posts but not introduced myself yet so here:

Laura Ranbarger, 22
No prior service, husband is ex-Marine
No kids, but a dog
Ball State University '05 BA in Psych
And I'm Army

I wanted to tell all the Army people planning for OBC this summer that we need about $2000 for lodging on the first day. They will let us pay half and then the other half 3 weeks later. We also can't use the pay advance for it because that comes later in the week. Since it's only 1 month away, I wanted to pass the info along.

See everyone next month :)

Thanks to everyone for participating in this forum. I have been monitoring it while I was on the alternate list and found out yesterday I have been given a place on the waiting list.

Has anyone received a medical waiver or know anyone who has? I am interested in knowing how 'easily' they are given and for what kinds of reasons. I was denied my medical clearance for having a brain tumor 2 years ago that was removed, benign, and has had no long term effects. In spite of rebuttals from my physicians and all medical records, seems DoDMERB couldn't get their heads around my case.

I would love to join all of you next year, I can't wait to get back to the DC area.

Hey I just found out I was moved from the alternate list to a full acceptance with the Air Force....what a jump! I had my medical clearance so they gave me a spot. Very exciting but I have a huge decision to make. USUHS or HPSP Army at the University of Arkansas. Any thoughts?

I want to go Air Force, for a lot of reasons. I think the thing holding me back from USUHS is the move to the east coast as I am a midwesterner.....Oh decisions decisions. This is tough. :scared:

I can understand your dilemma. I'm also from the midwest and felt anxious about moving to the east coast. We've been here a week, and honestly it's fantastic. The people are nice, there's tons of stuff to do...its just a great place to live. Besides, if you are going to be in the military you'll have to get used to moving to new places that are far away from home.

I was a midwesterner who relocated to the east coast (philly), and it was def an adjustment.... my advice to you would be (if you can) to visit for a week, wander around, explore the area, etc.

Does anyone know anything about movement of the Navy waitlist and the May 15th deadline next week?

Thanks for the input! I'll let you all know what I decide.

Hey I just found out I was moved from the alternate list to a full acceptance with the Air Force....what a jump!

Congrats to all those with recent acceptances... for those with big decisions to make - good luck :luck: :luck: and feel free to post here if there are questions some of us "old folks" can help with. You've got a good number of priors from the services represented. Best wishes!!!

Thanks to everyone for participating in this forum. I have been monitoring it while I was on the alternate list and found out yesterday I have been given a place on the waiting list.

Has anyone received a medical waiver or know anyone who has? I am interested in knowing how 'easily' they are given and for what kinds of reasons. I was denied my medical clearance for having a brain tumor 2 years ago that was removed, benign, and has had no long term effects. In spite of rebuttals from my physicians and all medical records, seems DoDMERB couldn't get their heads around my case.

I would love to join all of you next year, I can't wait to get back to the DC area.

Have you requested your waiver already? My understanding was that only those with no pending security or medical holds could be admitted off the waitlist after 15 May.

Well folks I've made up my mind. I'm headed to USUHS! :) I look forward to meeting you all later this year, either there or at COT with the rest of my Air Force peeps :thumbup:

welcome aboard Kodiak!

I want to say hi to all my soon-to-be borthers- and sisters-in-arms. Like many of you, I turned down a place in a private medical school and look forawrd to attending USUHS. I have just discovered our groups, last night in fact and can already tell that we have a diverse class I look here and on
facebook.

For anyone out there looking for a roommate this year, I am also looking. I would also like to keep my costs around $1000/mo. If anyone is interested, I am always available (when not at work of course). feel free to leave a message here for me or on facebook.

Scott Rubenstein (UMiami)

Folks,

I am a member of the class of 2011. Currently I live in Annapolis and rent a place downtown. The rent is pretty good. I am about to re-sign a lease for $1025/month on a 3 BR/1 BA. I've lived here for 4 years already. Street is Munroe Ct. Right around the corner from Loews hotel.

I have 2 questions:

1. Anybody interested in renting the 2nd bedroom and splitting rent? Trust me, this living situation pretty much rocks if you like Annapolis.

2. Commuting to Bethesda from Annapolis seems pretty hefty to me. I am not a fan of the commuting lifestyle. On the other hand, my current boss has been commuting from Rockville to Annapolis for 20 years. Is there anybody reading this forum who can comment on doing a significant commute while a student at USUHS?

3. I am thinking, if I do decide to stay here, that I'll go with public transport. I read in an earlier post that USUHS provides metro passes to students. Can anybody confirm this? Also, there is a private bus company that runs from naptown to New Carrolton. Any chance of getting this transport covered? That would seriously rock.

Go Navy!

Oetzi287

3. I am thinking, if I do decide to stay here, that I'll go with public transport. I read in an earlier post that USUHS provides metro passes to students. Can anybody confirm this? Also, there is a private bus company that runs from naptown to New Carrolton. Any chance of getting this transport covered? That would seriously rock.

Go Navy!

Oetzi287

I asked about this at one point... I think in Jan or so... the admin office at least did not know anything about metro passes for students. I have been told via third hand (so questionable reliability) info that military personnel working at NIH *DO* get a decent sized commuters stipend, so that is possibly where this rumor was started? I wouldn't bank on having the military foot that particular bill though. Good luck....

Withdrew... you've got one AF spot. It's been a very tough decision. Read the military medicine boards here. However, speak personally with active and retired military physicians. The ones who have been satisfied, sometimes extremely, with their military service are not as vocal as the guys on those boards. Remember that in the end, you are the property of the military, and you will be used in that capacity. That may not line up with your career goals. For me, my flexibility is worth more than what I can have by joining now.

Hey, I was wondering if anyone else was attending MOST instead of regular basic training? (Sorry AF peeps but baby is still to young to be without Mom for a whole month)

Hey, I was wondering if anyone else was attending MOST instead of regular basic training? (Sorry AF peeps but baby is still to young to be without Mom for a whole month)

I think this is an excellent choice on your part Curlydc (not to say its the only way but congrats).

Well, we are officially post-the 15th, any movement off the waitlists? And PS what is up with no orders yet? it would be great not to have to eat the cost of a move to DC from Blacksburg, though I know a ton of you are moving from much further away...

P.P.S. Congrats to all the about-to-be- and recent graduates!

I just withdrew from the other places where I was accepted/waitlisted yesterday so I will see you all in August!

Dont worry about the cost of moving. The military pays for it all. I helped my brother move last summer. The only problem with them moving you is that the moving company gives you a week or so period (it may have been two weeks) when they CAN arrive. But they let you know the exact date, not just show up at your door one day. Bring all of you essentials and anything that you are afraid that can break. Turst my on the last point. Just like every moving company, things break. But the plus side is that JPPSO will help you if anything is damaged. If you have furniture, bring your recpeits with you as well as your personal information (birth certificate, SS ID card, etc.). Personally, if I have to put my stuff in storage for a month or two I will, it is better than paying rent in an apt that I will not be in for two months.

+pad+ Pad post - rescuing from page 2!!

No new classmates today??

I am officially a member of the class of 2011!!!

Folks,

I am a member of the class of 2011. Currently I live in Annapolis and rent a place downtown. The rent is pretty good. I am about to re-sign a lease for $1025/month on a 3 BR/1 BA. I've lived here for 4 years already. Street is Munroe Ct. Right around the corner from Loews hotel.

I have 2 questions:

1. Anybody interested in renting the 2nd bedroom and splitting rent? Trust me, this living situation pretty much rocks if you like Annapolis.

2. Commuting to Bethesda from Annapolis seems pretty hefty to me. I am not a fan of the commuting lifestyle. On the other hand, my current boss has been commuting from Rockville to Annapolis for 20 years. Is there anybody reading this forum who can comment on doing a significant commute while a student at USUHS?

Go Navy!

Oetzi287

I have never done the Annapolis-Bethesda commute, but I did have a very long commute my freshman year of college - from Twinbrook metro station to Georgetown in DC. I used public transportation, bus-metro-bus, and it took about an hour and fifteen minutes. It was total hell, and I strongly advise you to look for an apartment in Montgomery County. I learned that you can plan all you want, and the commute might look doable on paper...but it is very stressful, very frustrating. If your commute involves switches, the slightest deviation from your schedule throws everything off, and when you're coming from as far as Annapolis, busses usually don't run as often, so timing is really critical.

My personal opinion is that commutes are much easier when you're commuting for work and not school. I've had the same commute when I was working in Georgetown over the summer, and it was better. I say that because, when you're a student, you often have to have enough energy to study when you get home, or go to the library to get notes or books, or maybe stay late in anatomy lab...A work schedule can be a little more flexible, and when you're done at the end of the day, you're done. Plus, Annapolis to Rockville is a much lighter commute, since traffic between Rockville and Bethesda during rush hour is CRAZY.

I am renting a 1 br for 1025/month right up the street from USUHS. I know it's much higher than what you're paying now, but it will be well worth it in terms of your sanity, study time, and access to campus.

Oetzi287

I have never done the Annapolis-Bethesda commute, but I did have a very long commute my freshman year of college - from Twinbrook metro station to Georgetown in DC. I used public transportation, bus-metro-bus, and it took about an hour and fifteen minutes. It was total hell, and I strongly advise you to look for an apartment in Montgomery County. ...I am renting a 1 br for 1025/month right up the street from USUHS. I know it's much higher than what you're paying now, but it will be well worth it in terms of your sanity, study time, and access to campus.

So I didn't comment on this part initially because I can't speak from any sort of long term experience with the DC traffic (we've lived here a grand total of 2.5 weeks). But I have to completely concur with typeOs assessment. Living close would be much better on your general quality of life (IMHO!) Good luck!

I currently drive everyday from the Bethesda area over to Suitland, MD. Traffic in the opposite direction (on the outer loop of the beltway) is horrendous, pretty much from the BW Parkway all the way to Connecticut Ave. This is usually around 7:15 or 7:30. If you're definitely living in Annapolis, public transportation may be your best bet, so you don't lose an hour of study time on each end of the school day.

As far as getting reimbursed for public transportation, the federal government does issue vouchers intended for metro use. I don't know how to get them, but I believe they are in the neighborhood of 100 or 150 per month.

So I am home for the summer and my mail hasn't started getting forwarded yet...orders anyone? Specifically Air Force, no prior service? Thanks, and hope everyone is having a marvelous summer!

I've had an hour commute (more if weather is bad, there's traffic, or metro is delayed) for the past 4 years. And when I took night class for my post bac it was another long chunk of driving. For my sanity I knew I wanted to be close to school. I think I want to try biking in :)

For other runners who aren't planning on tackling a marathon any time soon, I think I am going to run the Navy 5 Miler in D.C. in late September. I've never done it but I bet it would be fun! I've been trying to get into better shape in preparation for COT and it seems like a good goal.

I have to agree with everyone here bro, living far from school is not a good idea. As everyone has stated, public transportaion can be a nightmare. I live in Boston and rely on the T and I cannot tell how many times that I have been late because of it. Also, when everyone goes to hang out afterwards you may not be able to do it becuase you live so far. That would be one wicked expensive cab ride home if you cant find a couch to crash on. And yes, I did use the word "wicked."

Anyway, in terms of moving folks just remember that you have to contact the nearest JPPSO office, not the one in bethesda. And you do need your orders which blows.

See everyone in August!!! Some of you in July.

This might seem like an unusual question: does anyone known anything about whether women are allowed to wear men's style pants as part of the uniform? I got two conflicting answers from the uniform shop here.

Thanks!

This might seem like an unusual question: does anyone known anything about whether women are allowed to wear men's style pants as part of the uniform? I got two conflicting answers from the uniform shop here.

Thanks!

??:confused: So expressing my ignorance here... you are PHS, right? Do you wear a separate uniform or "Navy" uniforms (basing this question only on the PHS website that looks like all Navy uniforms)? I'll answer based on the Navy uniform version - I can't help you if is something totally different! (Of course, I may not be all that much help either way! :laugh: )

Navy has women's and men's specific tailoring for pants - with a significant differences in hip widths and reversed button/zip on both the pants and the tops. I doubt anyone would really notice if you wore men's pants, though you'd have to wear the men's shirt too so that your "gig" line matches up... women's belts are smaller too.... so while you could probably make it work, I'm not sure there is much point.

That being said, you can ABSOLUTELY wear the men's garrison cover. I mention that because those "banana" covers that women are supposed to wear are AWFUL and as soon as the message came out letting us wear the men's style, I tossed all my old bananas and did a little dance. I HATED those things!