~*~*~Official USUHS Class of 2011 Thread~*~*~

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
For those who have heard this post before I apologize...
More people are starting to think about housing so I will post again.

I am a traditional male student (will be 22 in June) and am going to OIS with the Navy. I am also looking for roommates and am open to different housing options. I am leaning towards an apartment that is only 2 miles from USUHS and is brand new.

The website is: http://www.avalonatgrosvenorstation.com/home.html

It would average out to 1000/person for a 2 bed/2 bath. The nice thing is that it is 300 feet from the metro and very close to USUHS. The reason I am leaning towards renting (at least for the first year) is I don't want to go through the hassle of finding and buying a home/townhouse and worrying about maintenance, etc...

I am also planning to be married within the next 2 years (hopefully) so I don't want to start down the "buying" road and then do it all over again when she moves up.

Things that are important to me are: 1)close to school/metro 2)very little hassle 3)relatively new facility 4)getting this settled before OIS

Like I said though- I am open to all possibilities - I am also planning on flying up to DC in the beginning of June to look at places. Facebook or pm me if you find something.

I checked this place out too when I went back to bethesda over spring break...really nice and ridiculously convenient. I found another place too, at the next Metro station north, called White Flints. They're just as nice, if not nicer, and they are actually cheaper. Its made to be a condo complex, but you can do a rent-to-own type deal or just straight rent (I'm thinkin straight rent), however availibility might be an issue. :confused: They have a pretty sweet and spacious 3BR plan, and I thought it'd be great to get one roomie and turn the 3rd BR into a study den. The other 2 BRs are like Master BRs, each w/ a bathroom and walk-in closest, the third is pretty much just a room, so it'd be perfect for endless hours of studying....... The price is pretty good and its literally next to the Metro.

Little over a month till the fun begins....OBC CLASS 703!!!

Members don't see this ad.

Does anyone know what the standard MS1, non-prior student should expect to receive each paycheck after taxes? From experience or from discussion with sponsors.

The DODs regular military pay calculator calculated pay at around $2,050 per paycheck before taxes taking into account Basic Pay, BAS, and BAH for an 0-1 with no time and no dependents.

Members don't see this ad :)
That's where I got my information from... but I'm more interested in finding out what my actual pay will be taking into account taxes and other deductions. I'm guessing that an MS1/2 would be the best resource.

True, but remember California residents not living in CA while in the military do not pay state tax. Take your (base pay x .18) + 196 + BAH. Then again paychecks are largely dependent on witholdings you claim on your w-4. The higher the number of deductions the less Uncle Sam takes during the year.

A good estimate for a non prior service with no dependents would be about 1850 take home twice a month.

Hope this helps.

Take your (base pay x .18) + 196 + BAH.

Thanks, I also didn't know about the California exemption while living/serving out of state. Good to know.

But for the benefit of other interested parties you meant 0.8 instead of 0.18 assuming a 20% withholding as a safe estimate, right? Roughly [(2500*0.8)+193+1500]/2=1846.50 per pay period... not bad for a starving medical student.

hI...i have a few questions. FIrst let me give some info. I am accepted to WSU school of medicine in the fall. I recieved the HPSP from the Airforce...anyways, i have some questions and I dont even know if this is a place i can ask them.. so Ill ask anyways and if i get answers....then GREAT!!

1) When you are matching for residencies through the AF, after med school, and you want to specialize, say in anesthesiology, but the AF doesnt need any more anesthesiologists...can they make you do a residency in another field, say surgery (vastly different)?

Thanks, I also didn't know about the California exemption while living/serving out of state. Good to know.

But for the benefit of other interested parties you meant 0.8 instead of 0.18 assuming a 20% withholding as a safe estimate, right? Roughly [(2500*0.8)+193+1500]/2=1846.50 per pay period... not bad for a starving medical student.

Yup. your right. Yeah being a starving medical student would be ok, but because I have a two year old to provide for it (pay) is a total blessing.

I have just submitted my withdrawal from the Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine entering class of 2007.

I am honored to state that I am going to be among all of you taking the Hippocratic Oath at USUHS in August. I can't wait!

For those of you that I have been communicating with, I want to thank you for all of your words of support. Knowing that I would be spending the next four years of medical school with such a great group of people played a significant role in my decision.

I am not looking back. I am only looking forward to learning how to become a great military medical officer with the rest of you.

Thank you for helping me get my priorities straight!

hI...i have a few questions. FIrst let me give some info. I am accepted to WSU school of medicine in the fall. I recieved the HPSP from the Airforce...anyways, i have some questions and I dont even know if this is a place i can ask them.. so Ill ask anyways and if i get answers....then GREAT!!

1) When you are matching for residencies through the AF, after med school, and you want to specialize, say in anesthesiology, but the AF doesnt need any more anesthesiologists...can they make you do a residency in another field, say surgery (vastly different)?

Here's my understanding of the process. You apply to the residency of your choice and if you don't match than in the AF you will probably be turned into a Flight Doc (kind of like a GMO tour) where you are essentially a general practice doc in the AF. I believe you would deploy with flights etc. You can then reapply for other residencies I believe after spending some time in that position. You could also try to get a civilian deferment and match just like the rest of your class will be but that is pretty difficult to get I am told. Maybe someone with some more Air Force experience can post.

And now, WHAT'S UP BUBBLEHEAD!!!!! We are going to have such an awesome group this fall. We have some stellar docs-to-be turning down great state schools and private schools and other who just staright up knew that USUHS was the place to be from the begining. This class is going to set a new standard at USUHS! Congrats on the choice! It must feel pretty good.

Members don't see this ad :)
I have just submitted my withdrawal from the Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine entering class of 2007.

I am honored to state that I am going to be among all of you taking the Hippocratic Oath at USUHS in August. I can't wait!

For those of you that I have been communicating with, I want to thank you for all of your words of support. Knowing that I would be spending the next four years of medical school with such a great group of people played a significant role in my decision.

I am not looking back. I am only looking forward to learning how to become a great military medical officer with the rest of you.

Thank you for helping me get my priorities straight!

Bubblehead,

This is so awesome! I'm so glad you chose to join the USUHS class. I second a previous post. Amongst all other candidates in the SDN community, you truly are amazing. I am honored to study and serve with you.

The rest of this class also totally kicks a$%! I am really looking forward to meeting all of you.

Thanks jp7 and Fizban!!! It really does feel great! Perhaps I will actually be able to sleep tonight...

I think our class is going to rock. If the rest of the group is anything like the bunch we have on here and on facebook, the other classes at USUHS had better watch out! We're going to rule the school! :p

FZ - I guess I better start hitting the range so that I can actually make contact with the golf ball by the time we start playing!

When you are matching for residencies through the AF, after med school, and you want to specialize, say in anesthesiology, but the AF doesnt need any more anesthesiologists...can they make you do a residency in another field, say surgery (vastly different)?

I think Fizban has it right. Participating in a military residency program is NOT a requirement. The Air Force can make you complete a military internship, and take the USMLE Step 3 for licensure to practice medicine, but they cannot force you to complete any residency program. Residencies fall under the umbrella of Graduate Medical Education (GME), and service members who participate in military residency programs actually incur an additional service obligation for doing so. Now, if you were to complete your residency immediately following internship, the obligation you incur for residency will be served concurrently with your obligation for HPSP. That does not negate the fact that there is an additional service obligation associated with it. If you completed internship followed by a 3 year flight surgeon tour (in which you paid back 3 of the 4 years of your HPSP service obligation), and then completed a 4 year military residency, then you would owe 5 years (1 year for HPSP + 4 years for residency) of service following the completion of your residency.

Why did I go through that entire explanation to answer your question? The bottom line is that since there is an additional service obligation associated with the military residency programs, they cannot force you to complete one that you do not wish to participate in. They cannot force you to take on an additional service obligation. Now, as Fizban stated, if you declined residency training, you would have to fulfill your HPSP service obligation in a primary care role (most likely as a flight surgeon).

Hope this helps [takes deep breath].

Congrats Bubblehead! Glad you could join the party.

This is going to be a perfect year for beginning medical school at USUHS! The Navy vs. Air Force and Navy vs. Army football games are both being played in local stadiums this year!!!

Navy vs. Air Force - 9/29/07 in Annapolis
Navy vs. Army - 12/1/07 in Baltimore

Here is the Navy football schedule:
http://navysports.cstv.com/sports/m-footbl/sched/navy-m-footbl-sched.html

Tailgating should be fun!

Hey all!

I've decided to decline my acceptance to Jefferson and send in my final paperwork for USUHS. Despite my residency concerns, it makes the most sense. And it just feels right :D Plus, with classmates like you all it will have to be great.

My husband and I got a great 2-level, 2-bedroom, 2.5 bath townhome at Bethesda Hill for 1980/month, it's really close to campus and is near 2 metro stops, 495, 270, and 95. It's pricy, but for what you're getting in the area it's not terrible. It was just remodeled and seems really nice, we're moving in late this month. There are more 2-bedroom townhouses and apartments availible, I suggest checking it out.

http://www.rent.com/rentals/washington-dc/washington-dc-and-vicinity/bethesda/484783/

This is going to be a perfect year for beginning medical school at USUHS! The Navy vs. Air Force and Navy vs. Army football games are both being played in local stadiums this year!!!

Navy vs. Air Force - 9/29/07 in Annapolis
Navy vs. Army - 12/1/07 in Baltimore

Here is the Navy football schedule:
http://navysports.cstv.com/sports/m-footbl/sched/navy-m-footbl-sched.html

Tailgating should be fun!

Those games should be great. My father was a professor at the Air Force Academy for 5 years and we really enjoyed going to every Air Force game we could. Those tailgating parties were a lot of fun. Only difference is now I'm pulling for Army (I can only imagine what the USUHS will be like the week before each of these games. The friendly banter will be in full swing :))

For those of you that bought homes in the area, did you go through the military for your loan? or did you go with private lending firms or banks? What sort of interest rates do either offer right now?

I would really like to look into the buying option. But my time is short and limited since I was accepted just recently. I put in my resignation! but I've got a couple of more weeks of work. I plan on taking a trip out to scope out the living situation the end of May. Having an escrow go on while I am absent in COT is unnerving.

Hey all!

I've decided to decline my acceptance to Jefferson and send in my final paperwork for USUHS. Despite my residency concerns, it makes the most sense. And it just feels right :D Plus, with classmates like you all it will have to be great.

Alright Lexi!!! That's what I'm talkin' about! USUHS just does feel right. It's undeniable. All I have to say is that I am thankful for the fact that my heart would not let me withdraw from USUHS as soon as I got that Hopkins acceptance, like my mind wanted me to!

Congrats on making the final decision - I know just how good that feels!

For those of you that bought homes in the area, did you go through the military for your loan? or did you go with private lending firms or banks? What sort of interest rates do either offer right now?

I would really like to look into the buying option. But my time is short and limited since I was accepted just recently. I put in my resignation! but I've got a couple of more weeks of work. I plan on taking a trip out to scope out the living situation the end of May. Having an escrow go on while I am absent in COT is unnerving.

Navy Federal Credit Union had the best rates this time around. USAA Federal Savings Bank is usually very competitive with them, but I went with NFCU this time. I locked in at 6% with them a few weeks ago.

I could be wrong, but I don't think you can apply for membership at either of these institutions until you are in the military (unless you are a dependent of someone who is in the military). I'm not sure what other banks are offering these days, but in the past, these two were much better. So, it may be worthwhile to wait until you are on active duty, apply for membership, and then apply for the mortgage. That will really depend on your individual situation.

I'm going to PM you about some of the other househunting stuff. ;)

Those games should be great. My father was a professor at the Air Force Academy for 5 years and we really enjoyed going to every Air Force game we could. Those tailgating parties were a lot of fun. Only difference is now I'm pulling for Army (I can only imagine what the USUHS will be like the week before each of these games. The friendly banter will be in full swing :))

What does everyone else think of Fizban? [crowd: "BOOOOOOOOOOOO!"]

You know the banter will be in full swing, baby!

Navy Federal has great loan rates for mortgages right now- we looked into it (but decided to rent for another year) and they had a 5.75% rate. They've been my bank since birth (thanks Dad :laugh:) and they're great.

Seriously, I feel fantastic. The whole process has been so uncertain, from waiting for MCAT scores to come in until final decisions. I feel really fortunate!

Hey all!

My husband and I got a great 2-level, 2-bedroom, 2.5 bath townhome at Bethesda Hill for 1980/month, it's really close to campus and is near 2 metro stops, 495, 270, and 95. It's pricy, but for what you're getting in the area it's not terrible. It was just remodeled and seems really nice, we're moving in late this month. There are more 2-bedroom townhouses and apartments availible, I suggest checking it out.

http://www.rent.com/rentals/washington-dc/washington-dc-and-vicinity/bethesda/484783/

How far is that from the school??
Any idea if Ill be able to have a car while at school
and living there??
Thanks.

I spoke to the admissions office today, and they said this year has been the least amout of movement from the Army waitlist they have ever seen... I was just wondering if there are army people out there that are planning on waiting until the last minute (May 15) to drop or if everyone has decided 100% on USUHS.

It's about 2 miles from school, about a 5 min drive. I'd imagine that you'd want a car in the suburban MD area, b/c it's a suburb things are more spread out than a more "downtown" urban area. And for clinical rotations DC-area sites are fairly spread out.

I know it's not a problem to park in most complexes (including that one) and on campus, you just have to get a permit. I'll give you all more detailed reviews when I move (I am SO excited to be leaving my job and moving at the end of this month!!)

How far is that from the school??
Any idea if Ill be able to have a car while at school
and living there??
Thanks.

Navy Federal Credit Union had the best rates this time around. USAA Federal Savings Bank is usually very competitive with them, but I went with NFCU this time. I locked in at 6% with them a few weeks ago.

Navy Federal has great loan rates for mortgages right now- we looked into it (but decided to rent for another year) and they had a 5.75% rate. They've been my bank since birth (thanks Dad :laugh:) and they're great.

I don't know about the eligibility rules with either bank, but it wouldn't hurt to call both and ask. Navy Fed in particular has opened up its eligiblity hugely in the last few years (civilian employess on base are now eligible for example)

For what it is worth - before we bought our place out here we did some pretty in depth research. Basically we found out that while Navy Fed and USAA both have published rates that are comparable, both can wiggle a bit on some of the fees and USAA can even wiggle on the interest rate, particularly if you are putting money down and not using a VA loan. If you are eligible for both, it doesn't hurt to start the process at both and get the best offer. USAA specifically asked me to call them back with any better mortgage offers we received to give them a chance to match it.

Hope this helps...

In the interest of full disclosure, I should probably mention that we didn't go with either USAA nor Nav Fed in the end because Wachovia had the best rate..... my point... SHOP AROUND!!

And if you are worried about multiple credit checks hurting your credit rating, the major credit bureaus take only the initial credit check from a single mortage company into account. Subsequent checks within a short time frame (a few weeks) from multiple companies do not affect your score because the companies know you are simply shopping for the best offer.

Good luck!

I spoke to the admissions office today, and they said this year has been the least amout of movement from the Army waitlist they have ever seen... I was just wondering if there are army people out there that are planning on waiting until the last minute (May 15) to drop or if everyone has decided 100% on USUHS.

They EVER seen?? Hmm looks like our class will be
pretty nasty (and thats in a good way).

Has any non-priors who have gotten out of shape
the last couple years of undergrad started preparing
for officer training yet? I still have one final to go but
I'm starting to get worried that I havent started.

They EVER seen?? Hmm looks like our class will be
pretty nasty (and thats in a good way).

Has any non-priors who have gotten out of shape
the last couple years of undergrad started preparing
for officer training yet? I still have one final to go but
I'm starting to get worried that I havent started.

Im quite certain there are alot of VERY qualified folks sitting on that waitlist, so either way, Im sure it would be good.

Hate the Wait: I feel your pain man. Stick it out, there will be at least some movement this week. I gather that there are about 15 on the army list/

Just got the call!!!! I got in off the PHS waitlist! Anyone else here going into the PHS, and what institute are you interested in?

I am also going to have to find day care for my baby, and the larger centers have ridiculously high prices and long wait lists. I looked into home day cares too but haven't had any luck finding a spot so far. Maybe if someone has a stay-at-home spouse we can work something out?

Just got the call!!!! I got in off the PHS waitlist! Anyone else here going into the PHS, and what institute are you interested in?

I am also going to have to find day care for my baby, and the larger centers have ridiculously high prices and long wait lists. I looked into home day cares too but haven't had any luck finding a spot so far. Maybe if someone has a stay-at-home spouse we can work something out?

I was kinda hoping something like this might come up too!

EDIT: BTW, congrats!!!

Does anyone know how GMOs work in the AF? Do they count towards your commitment? how long are they? does everyone do one?

Im quite certain there are alot of VERY qualified folks sitting on that waitlist, so either way, Im sure it would be good.

Hate the Wait: I feel your pain man. Stick it out, there will be at least some movement this week. I gather that there are about 15 on the army list/

I'm sure there are people sitting on multiple acceptances, so come May 15th there should be some action... good luck to both of us bro.

Thanks to everyone for all the great advice!

I will shop around. But I think to have all my options, I may have to wait till I can qualify for the USAA or VA loans. I'm coming from the civilian world.

I'm single with no kids, so I don't have to worry about having too much space or school districts. Are there any recommendations on affordable neighborhoods close to Bethesda?

We're living in Silver Spring in a complex called Westchester West. 1br/1ba is about 1000/month after a military discount, which I got by showing them my acceptance letter. It is about a 15 minute drive to school, and I don't think I'll want to live this far away for more than a year, but it worked better for our non-military salary budget right now :)

I'm sure there are people sitting on multiple acceptances, so come May 15th there should be some action... good luck to both of us bro.

Its probably also safe to assume that the majority of the folks on here are highly motivated for USUHS enrollment, so it doesnt represent the "on-the-fencers" that we are waiting on. After a quick scan of the participants in this thread there are only a few ARMY; and they have all committed to USUHS.

I concur... Ill just keep my phone by my side at all times

I was kinda hoping something like this might come up too!

EDIT: BTW, congrats!!!

Nothing is set in stone, but my wife and I talked about her offering day-care services after we get settled in Bethesda. She has worked as a pre-school teacher, nanny for multiples, and most recently as a RN, but due to our soon-to-be-born son and my entering medical school, we're not planning on her returning to work as an RN anytime soon. I'll post something here or on facebook if we decide to pursue the idea any further, but most likely that won't happen until after we get settled in Bethesda.

Nothing is set in stone, but my wife and I talked about her offering day-care services after we get settled in Bethesda. She has worked as a pre-school teacher, nanny for multiples, and most recently as a RN, but due to our soon-to-be-born son and my entering medical school, we're not planning on her returning to work as an RN anytime soon. I'll post something here or on facebook if we decide to pursue the idea any further, but most likely that won't happen until after we get settled in Bethesda.

Excellent! I'll definitely be waiting for an update! So, you are going to have a place in Bethesda?

Excellent! I'll definitely be waiting for an update! So, you are going to have a place in Bethesda?

I'm not sure at this point. I'm flying to DC for a week in June to look for housing, but we're only sure that we want to be within a twenty minute commute based on early-morning/late-evening traffic standards, so Rockville and Gaithersburg are not out of the question.

class 2011 WOOT!
now on to learn about facebook...

I'm getting an apartment in germantown starting 5/20 and thinking about my move from Houston TX.
I tried contacting JPPSO (as instructed by orientation booklet)...found out that you can't do much w/o orders. Emailed Michelle Anderson-Thomas, and she said orders should be out within a week or so.
I'll keep posting my progress with JPPSO, hopefully I'll be the only one to make mistakes.

When is typical to be receiving orders? When I asked my sponsor, she said that she didn't get her orders until a week or two before OIS.

Hey guys - for those who are interested the Marine Corps Marathon registration is now open. The race fills up quickly (usually within a week or so!), so if you intend to run it, register now!

class 2011 WOOT!
now on to learn about facebook...

I'm getting an apartment in germantown starting 5/20 and thinking about my move from Houston TX.
I tried contacting JPPSO (as instructed by orientation booklet)...found out that you can't do much w/o orders. Emailed Michelle Anderson-Thomas, and she said orders should be out within a week or so.
I'll keep posting my progress with JPPSO, hopefully I'll be the only one to make mistakes.

Yes, another student in germantown! That makes you, bubblehead and me that I know of. Maybe we could work out some kind of carpool arragement.

Hey guys - for those who are interested the Marine Corps Marathon registration is now open. The race fills up quickly (usually within a week or so!), so if you intend to run it, register now!

Who's in it with runningmom and me? Come on! You know you want to!

It looks like Germantown is going to be the place to be! :thumbup:

Yes, another student in germantown! That makes you, bubblehead and me that I know of. Maybe we could work out some kind of carpool arragement.

It looks like Germantown is going to be the place to be! :thumbup:

I'm feeling jealous!!!

You know there is a MARC train from Germantown about every 20 minutes in the morning start at 0530, right? Takes 1 hr to get to Union Station and then 24 minutes to get to the medical center on the Red Line. Probably not something you want to do everyday, but maybe nice to have the option. At least you could study on the train rather than fume in traffic!

Or you could get off at the Garrett Park stop and bike in with me!! (Yeah, I talk big - I have great intentions of biking in, but since I still haven't done the route yet, I probably should shut my big mouth! :laugh:)