Official UTHSCSA c/o 2010 thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
AsianDoc816 said:
Good call on the DVR. I know a few people who Tivo/DVR everything (hint, hint: txguy). I think these devices are lifesavers in medical school....especially if you're a Grey's Anatomy/OC freak like me (but don't have time to watch them during the week).

ooOOooo I might have to get DVR... I didn't realize it could be so inexpensive!!

AD - This is for you...
ITS AMAZING.

Members don't see this ad.

Megalin said:
ooOOooo I might have to get DVR... I didn't realize it could be so inexpensive!!

AD - This is for you...
ITS AMAZING.

Get the DVR! I can tell you that it's worth the money! On another note, I'm excited about the recipe. For any of you sweet toothers out there, I LOVE TO BAKE. It's a great stress reliever and it makes people HAPPY! :love:

AsianDoc816 said:
Get the DVR! I can tell you that it's worth the money! On another note, I'm excited about the recipe. For any of you sweet toothers out there, I LOVE TO BAKE. It's a great stress reliever and it makes people HAPPY! :love:
Speaking of which...are you coming tomorrow???

Members don't see this ad :)
EvoDevo said:
Speaking of which...are you coming tomorrow???

Thuan (bf) and I are planning on meeting in SA to look for apartments (for him) tomorrow. We *might* be able to swing by, but I don't think I would have time to make anything (I hate coming and not bringing anything)....put us in for a "maybe." I'm currently in Houston right now, but will probably spend the weekend in SA. Hope that your first week of classes went well. :)

AsianDoc816 said:
Good call on the DVR. I know a few people who Tivo/DVR everything (hint, hint: txguy). I think these devices are lifesavers in medical school....especially if you're a Grey's Anatomy/OC freak like me (but don't have time to watch them during the week).

Yes, I watch the OC, thanks for that AD :D :D

A DVR/Tivo is definitely a medical student's best friend. Not only do you get to watch your shows on your own schedule, but you can skip through those *&^%$$ commercials! :thumbup: (you save about 15 minutes of wasted time per hour!)

-tx

And I'm proud to be one of the new names on the list! Hi everybody, I'm Joe and I just got into the class fairly recently. I was on the waiting list, planning to go to TCOM, and already moved into a place in Ft Worth when I got the call. I know a couple of you already, and I'll be glad to meet the rest of you when school starts or before. There was a note on the facebook group about a housewarming party tonight. I don't remember details, but will probably hit that up. Peace!

Reactions: 1 user
What time is the white coat ceremony on July 23rd and has anyone tried to get their parking permit?
Thanks for your help.

thehive5 said:
What time is the white coat ceremony on July 23rd and has anyone tried to get their parking permit?
Thanks for your help.

The ceremony is at 10 AM, and if you go by the bookstore, there's a little office on the side where you can pick up your parking pass.

Chacho's tonight at 7 everyone!! (Monday)

Does anyone have a schedule for orientation on the 24th? The link isn't active on the website, and I would kind of like to know where I should be and when I should be there next Monday

Renoir said:
Does anyone have a schedule for orientation on the 24th? The link isn't active on the website, and I would kind of like to know where I should be and when I should be there next Monday

Check your e-mail. The school sent something out late today. It has the complete orientation week schedule that you can view either as an attachment or online. Hope this helps.

--AD

see everyone at the white coat ceremony in a few hours! =) can't wait!

Hey guys a couple of questions for the new folks looking to come onboard:

1) How did everything go with parking? Are you in Lot 17? Were you able to get on the wait list prior to June/July when y'all got your id's?

2) Anyone other than Evo try to test out of Biochem/Physio? If you did, what books/materials did you use? Is it possible to get past (sample?) exams to get an idea of what the questions are like. Multiple choice?

3) Anyone got a link to the official book list? I know we shouldn't buy anything till we get there. I'm just curious if they suggest Netter's or Grants among other things.

4) Anyone know what the avg grant/scholarship is like? MSAR says it's over $5k.

5) What do you like/dislike about the place?

6) Are you happy there?

1) How did everything go with parking? Are you in Lot 17? Were you able to get on the wait list prior to June/July when y'all got your id's?

2) Anyone other than Evo try to test out of Biochem/Physio? If you did, what books/materials did you use? Is it possible to get past (sample?) exams to get an idea of what the questions are like. Multiple choice?

3) Anyone got a link to the official book list? I know we shouldn't buy anything till we get there. I'm just curious if they suggest Netter's or Grants among other things.

6) Are you happy there?

Great-Questions-Needing-Answers-Bump

6) Are you happy there?

Aw, come on guys/gals. These really are good questions for entering students to have answered (esp. 2) on testing out and 4) on scholarships). I know everyone is busy, but answers from a current student's perspective would help a lot. Also, any ideas on how to energize the 2011 thread. You guys were pages in by this time last year.

Thanks

Here are the answers provided by tiredmom (thanks again).

Originally Posted by tiredmom

"Originally Posted by Twitch View Post

I was a little late as far as applying for parking. I didn't even get my ID until the end of the first day of orientation. I'm a 4th yr now... started in Lot 17, applied for Zone 4 in Dec or so of 1st year, then got into Zone 4 in late spring. Got into Zone 3 around the mid part of MS2 year. I've stayed in Zone 3 - it's about a 10 minute hike into the classrooms, but it ends up being about even to Univ Hospital or VA.

I didn't try to test out... hadn't taken them before. The class ahead of us sold a "Study CD" that had old tests, study guides, etc. I think we got something either by mail or email with an order form for it, and we picked it up during the first week of class.

Don't have an official book list link. They use Netters in Anatomy. All the tanks have new "nasty netters" (one for each tank to keep in their lab drawer and use while dissecting), and you'll get one for your home, non-nasty use. If you fill out a credit app through AMSA, you can get a free one, I think.

Not sure. I never applied for any, but have been pleasantly surprised, starting in my 2nd year, with $1-3K scholarships. They do it in a goofy way of never actually telling you you got the scholarship - but you get a loan restatement letter from Financial Aid stating they are returning the amount of the scholarship to the lender... so you don't get any extra cash, but you're debt load is lowered. I guess I've gotten close to $10K total.

Like: Most of the people. San Antonio is great about being pretty laid back. You've got access to great people in all departments. There's lots of opportunities to get involved if you want to. I've made some amazing friends here. I've felt really prepared for everything and well supported. It's very family friendly - my daughter has come to class on several occasions when her school/daycare was closed without any problems.
Dislikes: Lots of construction over the time I've been here, and the parking.
Unsure: The curriculum has changed since I went through the preclinical years to a more systems based approach - they still seem to be working all the little kinks out.

6) Are you happy there?"
Yes. I'm glad this is where I ended up.