Official UTHSCSA c/o 2010 thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lane

Passing gas
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I did this last year so we may as well get it going again this time around...

WELCOME TO SAN ANTONIO! Congratulations on getting into medical school!

Come on in here and meet your future classmates, chat with us old fogies, and prepare yourself for the sheer awesomeness of UTHSCSA...as soon as you learn to spell it :D

Hit me up if you have any questions, and congrats to all!

Members don't see this ad.

lane said:

Come on in here and meet your future classmates, chat with us old fogies, and prepare yourself for the sheer awesomeness of UTHSCSA...as soon as you learn to spell it :D

Add c/o 2010 to the title to make them feel special :)

And congrats in advance guys!!!! :luck: :luck:

Hello!

I got a little overexcited and added a similar thread in the "class threads" forum (please forgive) I have just been waiting for awhile for this thread to start!

Members don't see this ad :)
lane said:

Count me in!!!!!!!

Congrats y'all :luck:

You guys are going to be doctors!

If most of us aren't around its b/c both MS1s and MS2s have exams tomorrow :oops:

-tx

txguy said:
Congrats y'all :luck:

You guys are going to be doctors!

If most of us aren't around its b/c both MS1s and MS2s have exams tomorrow :oops:

-tx
ours is thursday :cool:

congrats to you guys... I matched elsewhere, but I loved everything about UTHSCSA when I visited.

Congrats from an MSIV. I'll be sure to leave the place in good shape for you.

congrats from another ms1.5

Members don't see this ad :)
From an MS 1.5,

Congrats you guys. This is a great place.

ok this is my first post, BUT I have been stalking the SDN forums the last couple of weeks.......

I'm in SA!!! (whooooooop!)

i am so excited!!! :D :D

aTmchick06 said:
ok this is my first post, BUT I have been stalking the SDN forums the last couple of weeks.......

I'm in SA!!! (whooooooop!)

i am so excited!!! :D :D

I have a question, was this school the one that required us to buy a palm pilot....i forgot.. :D

congratulations!!! we're super excited you all are coming here.

-another MS 1.5

Hi, new little MS0 here. I'm so excited! SA was my first choice, and I heard through the grapevine that we are a solid class. Congrats to everyone who matched, and I'm pumped to meet you quality people soon!

LindsayD said:
Hi, new little MS0 here. I'm so excited! SA was my first choice, and I heard through the grapevine that we are a solid class. Congrats to everyone who matched, and I'm pumped to meet you quality people soon!

Hey!! I'm in Austin too! ..hookup!

BlinkyCat said:
Hey!! I'm in Austin too! ..hookup!

Sorry..I meant hookem!

I didn't go to UT ...lol

ha shoot, hookup would have been more fun. except i'm into guys. so... anyways. blinky, do you think you're sticking with SA? you said you were a little disappointed? i like that i have an austin connection, and an emory connection.

I'm in as well. SA was my 1st choice, and only interview besides Houston. Lucky for me that SA was my preference before submitting applications. I can't believe I matched. I am so excited right now I can't see straight.

thehive5 said:
I'm in as well. SA was my 1st choice, and only interview besides Houston. Lucky for me that SA was my preference before submitting applications. I can't believe I matched. I am so excited right now I can't see straight.

awesome- I am so excited too!!!! glad to join you, and my only other interview was houston also!

Hello, everyone! I got into UTHSCSA c/o 2010!.....well I found out a couple of weeks ago because I'm out-of-state..........does anyone know any out-of-staters at UTHSCSA?

Okay, about my user ID......when signing up for SDN, I was trying to be facetious and entered "Dr. 90210" as a joke.....and it gave it to me! Actually, I'm from Los Angeles, California, but I'm currently on the East Coast finishing up my undergrad this semester.

To all UTHSCSA students out there, how do you like UTHSCSA? How is the class environment.......really competitive or do ppl help each other out? How many hours a day are you typically in classes & labs? How do you like the letter grading system.....is it really bad? How are your clinical experiences thus far?

How is the housing near UTHSCSA? I heard parking is a pain on campus......are there any decent places to live within walking distance of the med classes? Where do UTHSCSA med students tend to live?

I read on last years boards, I think, that UTHSCSA held a "Welcome Weekend" during the Spring sometime.......for incoming students. If so, can UTHSCSA do it again? Does anyone at UTHSCSA know what I am talking about?

Okay, I will shut up now. I am really excited (and nervous) about med school.

Dr. 90210 said:
Hello, everyone! I got into UTHSCSA c/o 2010!.....well I found out a couple of weeks ago because I'm out-of-state..........does anyone know any out-of-staters at UTHSCSA?

Okay, about my user ID......when signing up for SDN, I was trying to be facetious and entered "Dr. 90210" as a joke.....and it gave it to me! Actually, I'm from Los Angeles, California, but I'm currently on the East Coast finishing up my undergrad this semester.

To all UTHSCSA students out there, how do you like UTHSCSA? How is the class environment.......really competitive or do ppl help each other out? How many hours a day are you typically in classes & labs? How do you like the letter grading system.....is it really bad? How are your clinical experiences thus far?

How is the housing near UTHSCSA? I heard parking is a pain on campus......are there any decent places to live within walking distance of the med classes? Where do UTHSCSA med students tend to live?

I read on last years boards, I think, that UTHSCSA held a "Welcome Weekend" during the Spring sometime.......for incoming students. If so, can UTHSCSA do it again? Does anyone at UTHSCSA know what I am talking about?

ok so my hours are all messed up from studying for exams...so i may as well jump on this (although it'll be short and sweet)

i love it here at uthscsa. the class is extremely supportive of one another - there is little to no competition between classmates. people share notes, study aids, mnemonics, etc. regularly. first year you'll be in class from 8-3 on a typical day, although they're still tweaking the new curriculum so that may change (though not a lot). second year is a little nicer, with class usually from 8-12 with the occasional afternoon lecture or discussion. the letter grading isn't bad. unless you went to a montessori college it'll be no different. the grade is based on how you perform, not a curve. the clinical experience the first two years consists mostly of working with standardized patients with occasional visits to the wards, although you can arrange to shadow a doc as a preceptor with no problems.

housing is easy to find around campus - there are lots of apartment complexes and a few condos within walking distance. you can get a house on the cheap but it'll be a little further north (still within 10 minutes though). parking is a pain if you get stuck with a zone 3, 4, or 5...and you probably will at first. you can jump on the waitlist and get a zone 1 or 2 by the end of your first year and be set. students live all over the place, but the closest complexes are the vintage (nice but pricey), the lodge (blah), medical center apt's (meh), and san antonio station. i lived at carlyle place (just down babcock from the HCS) my first year and loved it, but this year i'm in a big house with a couple roommates.

sadly we never got the welcome weekend organized, but i'll talk to the first year president to see if they're interested in setting something up. we have boards coming up so i doubt my class can coordinate it :(

ok, that's the short answer. if you have any other questions i'll be around SDN or you can find me on AIM.

Dr. 90210 said:

I lived about five miles away from the school most of my life and it is very nice and affordable. There are plenty of apartments nearby. I understand that the student body is pretty cooperative. Everybody seems to work with one-another.

I am just excited to be going to UT-San Antonio. That was my number one choice.

LindsayD said:
ha shoot, hookup would have been more fun. except i'm into guys. so... anyways. blinky, do you think you're sticking with SA? you said you were a little disappointed? i like that i have an austin connection, and an emory connection.

I will most likely be sticking to San Antonio. I was a little disappointed not because of the school (because the school rocked!). It's just the location wasn't my favorite...

I ranked UTSW first, UTH second, and UTSA third...I felt like each school had a different flavor ..in the end i ranked according to which city I would like to spend my four years..... As one can see, that is why I ranked TT, A&M, and UTMB lower....I was NOT a big fan of their locations...and the moving in the middle of medical school..I hate moving!

I really should go to sleep...but just want to say hi! to everybody else who also matched here tonight..

Oh...out of all the schools, my interview at UTSA was the most memorable...also..i really think UTSA has the neatest people...I can't wait to meet ya'll... :)

LindsayD said:

Emory connection?..couple good emory people around here. i don't wanna say that they are the best...but they are.

lane said:
ok so my hours are all messed up from studying for exams...so i may as well jump on this (although it'll be short and sweet)

i love it here at uthscsa. the class is extremely supportive of one another - there is little to no competition between classmates. people share notes, study aids, mnemonics, etc. regularly. first year you'll be in class from 8-3 on a typical day, although they're still tweaking the new curriculum so that may change (though not a lot). second year is a little nicer, with class usually from 8-12 with the occasional afternoon lecture or discussion. the letter grading isn't bad. unless you went to a montessori college it'll be no different. the grade is based on how you perform, not a curve. the clinical experience the first two years consists mostly of working with standardized patients with occasional visits to the wards, although you can arrange to shadow a doc as a preceptor with no problems.

housing is easy to find around campus - there are lots of apartment complexes and a few condos within walking distance. you can get a house on the cheap but it'll be a little further north (still within 10 minutes though). parking is a pain if you get stuck with a zone 3, 4, or 5...and you probably will at first. you can jump on the waitlist and get a zone 1 or 2 by the end of your first year and be set. students live all over the place, but the closest complexes are the vintage (nice but pricey), the lodge (blah), medical center apt's (meh), and san antonio station. i lived at carlyle place (just down babcock from the HCS) my first year and loved it, but this year i'm in a big house with a couple roommates.

sadly we never got the welcome weekend organized, but i'll talk to the first year president to see if they're interested in setting something up. we have boards coming up so i doubt my class can coordinate it :(

ok, that's the short answer. if you have any other questions i'll be around SDN or you can find me on AIM.
I have more specific info on many of hte stuff you mentioned, Lane (and everyone else). However, I'll say that our class (the current MS1 class) is planning a welcome weekend and the MS0's are going to have their own forum on our class site. I'll post more later tonight, probably. For now, exams in ~ five hours.

Congrats to everyone!!!! It's motivating to see you guys so excited and stuff. :) :) Y'all have matched to a fantastic school, so much so that you'll be blown away just about every day. :thumbup:

Dr. 90210 said:

Welcome to San Antonio! I'm sure you know that the TX schools are limited by law to how many out of staters they can take. But there are always out of staters and actually it makes it pretty impressive you're coming to Texas.

Just off the top of my head my class had a girl from Cali and several people from the south.

Parking as a first year is a little bit of pain.

Not to make it sound horrible but anyone in Austin or around Texas who is coming down to look at apartments or whatever, stop by UTHSCSA's police office and get a parking space. If you're going to be in town before orientation or even welcome week I would get a parking space - the sooner you do, the better it will.

That made it sound terrible, but it really isn't that bad. There are certainly places to live where you can walk to campus easily, if you don't want to deal with parking at all.

Besides you go on waitlists for progressively better spots so the situation does improve.

This is a great school. I love it. Get excited.

Any kinks this school had, and they weren't many, were mainly centered around the new curriculum this year. I think its giong to be awesome for this next class...mainly because its gotten progressively smoother and amazing for my class, as they've unruffled some minor problems.

I am still high on my match and can't wait to start looking for a house. Anybody who has had experience house shopping in San Antonio that would like to give advice. Where are the best places to look around campus; good neighborhoods, prices, ammenities, feel safe, convenience? I won't be having kids in the next 4 years so school district is not crucial but always good to consider due to resale value. I know this is a little soon to worry about, but I am so excited I have to do something. Thanks everyone.

I am thinking about living at the San Antonio Station Apartments...but I heard that there are some negatives to living so close to the school. Do you guys have any reason why that would be?

Also, is there anything we have to do as far as financial aid besides the FAFSA, for right now?

Of_The_Tower said:
I am thinking about living at the San Antonio Station Apartments...but I heard that there are some negatives to living so close to the school. Do you guys have any reason why that would be?

Also, is there anything we have to do as far as financial aid besides the FAFSA, for right now?

Living depends on how much you can afford. From classmates Ive talked to, San Antonio Station is probably the best deal for the dollar and is very close, 5 minutes walking. I dont know its price ranges, but know its not bad. The Lodge is also close and cheap but I've heard of many bad experiences. The Vintage (where I live with my wife, an MS1) is also very close and very nice, but probably the most expensive place around. We can afford it only because we share a one-bedroom. To buy a one bedroom apt for one person, or even to split a two bedroom with a roommate, can be a financial strain if youre living just on loans. There are other places nearby to live, including condos, houses, and other apartments, none of which I know too much about. But there is tons of housing, it like the cheapest city in the nation to live, and if you have to park, it improves quickly as you get better zones.

On another note, congrats to all who are now the class of 2010! Im an MS2 and looking forward to meeting everyone. San Antonio was my first choice when I applied as it was for many of my classmates, and we couldnt be happier. But even for the few classmates who I know ranked it 2nd, or even 3rd, I believe everyone ends up being incredibly happy here and glad to have been accepted. The faculty are fantastic, along with the administration and of course, the students. The campus is set in what I consider to be one of the more beautiful parts of Texas and you get some really good views overlooking it from the hospital. There are also great clinical opportunities even during first two years and with lectures being optional, you can decide when you want to go, and when you dont.

Feel free to ask any questions you can think of, everyone is here to help, and welcome to San Antonio!

Oh and to answer your question, no I can not think of any negatives to living close to school. Although if youre willing to live further away, it opens up a lot of housing options. Lane? Anyone, any thoughts?

TxMed said:
Emory connection?..couple good emory people around here. i don't wanna say that they are the best...but they are.

know of any UPenn people there? just wondering b/c i saw that 2 matched last year, but didnt know if they ended up going :)

vik829 said:
know of any UPenn people there? just wondering b/c i saw that 2 matched last year, but didnt know if they ended up going :)

I matched here ! :)

Last edited:
Hey everyone, just wanted to give congrats to all my future classmates. I hope we have a great time.

I am a little confused right now though. Is there anything I need to be doing to let them know that i will be attending their school? Is there some papers I need to sign, should I email the registar, etc., etc. I feel like there is something I should be doing.

Also to current students there, what is the max amount of loans/grants I can receive per year? I am 24, married, and have two sons (one newborn). I really want my wife to be able to stay at home and not work, but I can't find a dollar amount that we are limited to from the school as far as financial aid or a grand total cost of what we will have to pay. If anyone could answer this for me I would appreciate it.

I really can't believe that I got in to this school (my first choice). Coming from my family, it was more likely that I would have ended up as a patient from one of the prisons rather than the doctor treating them. I am just really excited and ready to get this med school thing rolling. . .

adrenalitis said:
I am a little confused right now though. Is there anything I need to be doing to let them know that i will be attending their school? Is there some papers I need to sign, should I email the registar, etc., etc. I feel like there is something I should be doing.

Also to current students there, what is the max amount of loans/grants I can receive per year? I am 24, married, and have two sons (one newborn). I really want my wife to be able to stay at home and not work, but I can't find a dollar amount that we are limited to from the school as far as financial aid or a grand total cost of what we will have to pay. If anyone could answer this for me I would appreciate it.

The school will send out offer-of-acceptance letters in a few days. You check the "yes" box, mail it back to the school, and you're in. As for money, I am married with no kids and get about 32K a year total (have to pay tuition and fees out of that). I have no idea what you get for having kids, but would imagine its stubstantially more. You will need to submit your FAFSA information in the next month or so. Then the school will send out financial aid award letters sometime around April letting you know how much loan money they can offer you. Hope this helps. Congrats on matching!

adrenalitis said:
Hey everyone, just wanted to give congrats to all my future classmates. I hope we have a great time.

I really can't believe that I got in to this school (my first choice). Coming from my family, it was more likely that I would have ended up as a patient from one of the prisons rather than the doctor treating them. I am just really excited and ready to get this med school thing rolling. . .
over the past couple years the max we've been able to take out through the school has been right around $30k, with $10-11k going to school for tuition and fees. you can get some TMA loans but you are limited to the total amount you can take out per year and for your med school career. a lot of folks wait til 4th year to do the TMA loans so they can cover the cost of travel when interviewing for their residencies.

and for the record, there will be a welcome weekend. the recruiting committee is heading everything up along with the administration. there's no date set in stone yet (and the recruitment chair would bite my ankles off if i threw a date out there now) but i'll let you know as soon as i find something solid.

I guess some of you may know each other from the previous Texas Interview thread, (and a few have used a name or a deriviative thereof in their post name) but I did not follow it that closely. So I see no reason to wait until a welcome weekend or a white coat ceremony to get to know my future classmates.

I'll start.

Mike, non-trad, I started out as a pre-med and ended up an accountant (I think it was the idea for even more school and @ 18 I was not interested.) I had to take a walk in the real world before I realized that a day of doing something you do not want to do is worse any amount of time you have to spend to reach your goals. Currently live in Cali, via Dally. And I am terribly excited to meet all of you.

There is more interaction w/ current 1st and 2nd years on this thread than w/ the incoming class. It appears as though their were more SDNer's last year than this. Or there are just a bunch of lurkers like myself.

Adrenalitis, it is true that you're limited in the government education loans you can take out. Depending on how much they calculate your family can contribute it caps out around 30 - 35K at UTHSCSA.

There is however virtually an unlimited amount of private loan money available. I am sure your situation isn't terribly unusual and that the financial aid office will be more than in a position to help you and point you in the direction of some reputable supplemental lenders.

Indeed, I think you're probably in a pretty great position. Texas schools are some of the cheapest in the country. Literally beaten only by like Universidad de Puerto Rico (that shows my lack of spanish skills). On top of that San Antonio is one of the cheapest cities to live in (and still an awesome place). As much as the AAMC and students complain about debt, if it is really important for you for your wife to be able to stay home, then I think there's plenty of room, because of how realitively cheap this institution is, for you to borrow more money "comfortably". Not that borrowing thousands and thousands of dollars is ever really comfortable...but...my point has been made.

BlinkyCat said:
Did you go to Upenn? I went to Upenn, and I matched here ! :)

yeah! i'm graduating this year. when'd you graduate? nice to have some undergrad alumni affiliation :)

to all:

i'm victoria, from sugar land, tx. i'm really excited about meeting everyone as well :) can't wait till welcoming weekend.

I know that there still is possibilty for movement and everything...but I noticed the "Entering Class of 2005" link on the website, and wanted to know about when we could be expecting one for our class.

Excited? Why, yes I am!

For all Houston SDNers that want to partay

Just an update on the situation....i just called up Katz's. They dont have any formal reservations perse, but they have my name down and told me to call about 30 min beforehand when we show up. Also, the don't split checks (which means if you are coming, BRING CASH!!!) and there is an additional 12-15% gratuity added to parties greater than 6.

As a backup, Buca has the Pope's table reserved at 7:30...which means if we do go here (which seems more and more unlikely), we will have to wait around for a big table to open up (which could possible take an hour or longer....especially on a friday night).

So yea, see below....PM me for my number and name (you know, so we can meet up later and not have no idea what is going on when we show up at Katz's) :D :D :D

Place: Katz's.....backup is Buca
Date:Friday 2/3/06
Time:7:30
Current Guest List
BaylorGuy
ClearDay
newdude
potato51
yourmom
DesiMcat
wigeon
sj786
karirunner
Miss155
fireorose

vik829 said:
yeah! i'm graduating this year. when'd you graduate? nice to have some undergrad alumni affiliation :)

to all:

i'm victoria, from sugar land, tx. i'm really excited about meeting everyone as well :) can't wait till welcoming weekend.

Hi Victoria and everybody. I almost thought I know you because I know someone who's also premed, your year, named Vicky. Anyways, congrats on graduating soon and going to med school! I actually graduated last year..been out of school for a year now...I was not in the College but I was in the business school, so I don't really know alot of premeds... Look forward to meeting everyone though!