Official UTHSCSA c/o 2010 thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
we got a sheet saying that for a computer the minimum memory should be 1 GB... does anyone know if this is really necessary or if they're just trying to cover all bases?

Members don't see this ad.

LindsayD said:
we got a sheet saying that for a computer the minimum memory should be 1 GB... does anyone know if this is really necessary or if they're just trying to cover all bases?
Well, memory is pretty cheap these days....but trust me, their computing requirements are *overrated*. If you have a laptop built within the last 2-3 years you should be fine.

If anybody is considering bringing a Mac, iBook, etc., G0S2 has experience with that..... :D :D

-tx

Members don't see this ad :)
txguy said:
If anybody is considering bringing a Mac, iBook, etc., G0S2 has experience with that..... :D :D

-tx
Yeah. Ask him what he uses now. :laugh:

TOSHIBA!!!!!!!!!!!!! :smuggrin:

Virtual PC is not quite up to par. Believe me, txguy, I tried everything.

justy_jfg said:
Do any of you guys know anything about a place called Nob Hill? I went to look at a 2br2bath 1050 sq. ft. for 596/month. They seem a little old but nice-w/d connections, alarm system, covered parking, dishwasher, fridge, etc. It seems like a really great deal but I wanted some input from people who know the area before I sign the lease.

We also got a substantial bump in financial aid this year specifically for cost of living expenses. Approx $5,000 on my end.

EvoDevo said:
Well, memory is pretty cheap these days....but trust me, their computing requirements are *overrated*. If you have a laptop built within the last 2-3 years you should be fine.

I bought my laptop through the school, and I have no idea if it was "worth" what I paid, but the service is amazing. Anything short of intentionally beating it with a 2x4 and setting it on fire is covered. My puppy chewed my power cord in half and I just went by IT and got a new one. No charge.

Hi! I'm trying to move into Medical Center apts, does anyone know anything about it (if its clean, safe, live-able)? Also, do you normally rent furniture by the month or buy it? And where would be a good place to buy big furniture (bed, desk...)

Thanks!!! Looking forward to meeting everyone! :)

mi2squared said:
Hi! I'm trying to move into Medical Center apts, does anyone know anything about it (if its clean, safe, live-able)? Also, do you normally rent furniture by the month or buy it? And where would be a good place to buy big furniture (bed, desk...)

Thanks!!! Looking forward to meeting everyone! :)

I think my entire apartment is furnished thanks to Craig's List - craigslist.org . Highly recommend. Also does anyone know of a cheap mover? I am not really interested in paying a month's rent for one day of moving.

8 weeks of summer is greeeeeeeeeeeeeat :D

-tx

So I'm dragging my fiance along with me to san antonio, and we are both getting very, very nervous about his job situation. Does anyone have any suggestions/good places to contact/etc.? We've been all over the internet and to one big job fair and turned up not much. He has a BA from a top tier school and has spent the past two years teaching at alternative ed programs. He's now looking for a 'real' job, i.e. one that pays a decent salary. please help.

Heyyyyy, where did everyone go?

Members don't see this ad :)
naijaMD said:
Heyyyyy, where did everyone go?

I was wondering the same thing.

San Antonio doesn't have a branch of the bank that I use in Beaumont, so I was wanting some suggestions about which bank to open an account at in SA. I am looking for free checking, online banking, and a close location to the school. Anyone got some advice?

adrenalitis said:
San Antonio doesn't have a branch of the bank that I use in Beaumont, so I was wanting some suggestions about which bank to open an account at in SA. I am looking for free checking, online banking, and a close location to the school. Anyone got some advice?

They have SACU ATM's all over campus if you ever needed cash. I'm not sure about the fees though. Personally, I have Wellsfargo and I don't pay any fees, there's one down the street on Medical, but they don't have ATMs anywhere :(

adrenalitis said:

I use Chase bank - There's one down the street from the school with an ATM.

I received a letter in the mail from a medical student organization encouraging me to purchase scrubs for anatomy lab. Is this the required attire for lab, and should I take them up on their offer?

Renoir said:
I received a letter in the mail from a medical student organization encouraging me to purchase scrubs for anatomy lab. Is this the required attire for lab, and should I take them up on their offer?

Lab can be quite messy. You can either buy them yourself or rent them from the University (details once you begin) where you turn in your pair and they give you fresh ones. It seems like it is about 50-50 with people buying or borrowing. I bought my own from allheart.com. I would also suggest that you purchase a new dissecting kit (again, wait until you start). People will try to sell you used kits but they can be pretty grimy. $10 more and you can have a shiny new one!

G0S2 said:
Lab can be quite messy. You can either buy them yourself or rent them from the University (details once you begin) where you turn in your pair and they give you fresh ones. It seems like it is about 50-50 with people buying or borrowing. I bought my own from allheart.com. I would also suggest that you purchase a new dissecting kit (again, wait until you start). People will try to sell you used kits but they can be pretty grimy. $10 more and you can have a shiny new one!

I got my kit through the AMA membership and it was nicey. Too bad I was only in anatomy for a couple of months... :p

Hey guys,

I know we already had a brief computer discussion a couple of pages back but I'm curious about what y'all think about the Dell laptop offer that the school sent out information about. Isn't 2100 dollars for a laptop sorta steep...or am I being sorta cheap? Teehee, I rhyme. :cool:
I just feel like I can find a nice one with all the necessary specifications for a more reasonable price. Someone jump on in and correct me if I'm wrong. Thanks!

naijaMD said:
Hey guys,

I know we already had a brief computer discussion a couple of pages back but I'm curious about what y'all think about the Dell laptop offer that the school sent out information about. Isn't 2100 dollars for a laptop sorta steep...or am I being sorta cheap? Teehee, I rhyme. :cool:
I just feel like I can find a nice one with all the necessary specifications for a more reasonable price. Someone jump on in and correct me if I'm wrong. Thanks!

I did just fine with my $900 Toshiba Satellite. $2100 is way too steep.

Toshiba, you say? I'll look into that. Thanks!

naijaMD said:
Hey guys,

I suggest going to the NewEgg.com website or official Dell website and comparing the price of the Dell Latitude on those sites to the price that the school is offering. Last year, I bought the one from the school, and though it is a very nice laptop, I'm almost sure that you can find the exact same computer or a very similar one for a lower price.

Megalin....I'm gonna have to buy new gross tools too.... :eek:

DON'T FORGET that money also pays for a rock solid warantee. Mine has come in handy.

AsianDoc816 said:
I suggest going to the NewEgg.com website or official Dell website and comparing the price of the Dell Latitude on those sites to the price that the school is offering. Last year, I bought the one from the school, and though it is a very nice laptop, I'm almost sure that you can find the exact same computer or a very similar one for a lower price.

Megalin....I'm gonna have to buy new gross tools too.... :eek:

AD are you in SA?

Megalin said:
AD are you in SA?

Megalin--

Not at the moment. I will be returning on Wednesday evening to start moving into my new apartment! Yeah to brand new starts! :oops:

We should definitely get together when I get back =)

AsianDoc816 said:
Megalin--

Not at the moment. I will be returning on Wednesday evening to start moving into my new apartment! Yeah to brand new starts! :oops:

We should definitely get together when I get back =)

Let me know if you need help :) I will be working most likely but I'm free in the evenings. :)

adrenalitis said:

I encourage people to look at USAA . It is an absolutely stellar bank, with great customer service, free checking, leniency when it comes to credit card service charges & late fees, and reimbursement for ATM fees from other banks (like up to $20 a month or something).

I swear I'm not getting a referal fee. :)

Also, everyone should join Texas Medical Association. Mainly because it looks good if I get a hundred % membership for the incoming class, since I'm in charge of recruitment. Really though, it is incredibly important. I know not everyone is as interested in healthcare policy and politics as myself but I mean TMA is the biggest physician voice on issues that are going to affect you as physicians. Anyone who has turned on a TV knows about the current "malpractice crisis". Other issues involve the very way you're going to earn an income as a physician including Medicare reimbursement rates, pay for performance, as well as patient safety issues, etc.

Mail in your applications.

Happy 1st day of June, folks!

Does anyone know the situation with parking as yet? Should we begin some kind of preliminary sign up? Rumor has it that if you want a decent spot, June is a good time to do it. Is there any truth to this statement?

Megalin, I decided to go with the school's laptop per your raves about its durability. I'm accident prone by nature so I figured it's a deal I can live with. :)

naijaMD said:
Happy 1st day of June, folks!

Does anyone know the situation with parking as yet? Should we begin some kind of preliminary sign up? Rumor has it that if you want a decent spot, June is a good time to do it. Is there any truth to this statement?

Megalin, I decided to go with the school's laptop per your raves about its durability. I'm accident prone by nature so I figured it's a deal I can live with. :)

Meee toooo. IT told me someone put one on top of their car, and of course it fell, and they backed over it. And it was replaced, no prob.

I think you have to have your ID before you can sign up for parking... I noticed the roof of garage B is looking pretty vacant...

Megalin said:
Meee toooo. IT told me someone put one on top of their car, and of course it fell, and they backed over it. And it was replaced, no prob.

I think you have to have your ID before you can sign up for parking... I noticed the roof of garage B is looking pretty vacant...

I have my ID number...do you think that's sufficient? I know I'm nitpicking, I just want to get all minor details squared away as soon as I can. :oops:

naijaMD said:
I have my ID number...do you think that's sufficient? I know I'm nitpicking, I just want to get all minor details squared away as soon as I can. :oops:

Like your student ID number? Because you get your badge and do parking at the same place.

Megalin said:
Like your student ID number? Because you get your badge and do parking at the same place.

Yeah, I have my student ID number. I think I'll probably just hold off till I actually get my badge. I'm just so dang excited about everything! :D

Hey Guys,
First post but just wanted to let everyone know that the new macbook pros are available through the computer store for all new medical students and having talked with some of the staff, they are running faster than the Dells for almost the same price. Just thought everyone should know before purchasing a $2000 Dell... On a lighter note.... Really excited about next year... My wife and I just got back from SA this past week and found our house for next year... Now we just have to get the hell out of Philly!!!! See everyone soon...
P.S. If anyone is interested in the Mac I can email you the flyer they sent me....

scootergreene said:
Hey Guys,
First post but just wanted to let everyone know that the new macbook pros are available through the computer store for all new medical students and having talked with some of the staff, they are running faster than the Dells for almost the same price. Just thought everyone should know before purchasing a $2000 Dell... On a lighter note.... Really excited about next year... My wife and I just got back from SA this past week and found our house for next year... Now we just have to get the hell out of Philly!!!! See everyone soon...
P.S. If anyone is interested in the Mac I can email you the flyer they sent me....

I think you get a discount from the school computer store -- Evo would know.

You do. It's ~20% IIRC. However, and this is a big point, Macs have a lot of trouble running the required software. FYI.

naijaMD said:
Yeah, I have my student ID number. I think I'll probably just hold off till I actually get my badge. I'm just so dang excited about everything! :D

I believe that the first day we can obtain our IDs and parking permits is on June 15th. I made the mistake of going over to the parking office early, and the guy working there told me that no one from the class of 2010 could receive anything until the 15th. He explained that the school is waiting for the older students to turn over their parking permits so there will be more parking available for us. I think that UTHSCSA should be sending us a letter about parking and badges soon. Hope this helps.

EvoDevo said:
You do. It's ~20% IIRC. However, and this is a big point, Macs have a lot of trouble running the required software. FYI.

Hey Evo--hope this summer is treating you well. :D

EvoDevo said:

Evo,
The new macs run windows XP... According to the reps in the computer store on campus, they run windows OS faster than the Dells... 'Yes, all the software that the Medical School uses has been tested on the Mac Book Pro and it actually boots up quicker and runs faster than on the Dell D610.' Kind of exciting.. I guess...

AsianDoc816 said:
Hey Evo--hope this summer is treating you well. :D
Hey AD! Yeah, it's going really well. I've discovered a particular specialty is which is veeeeeeerrrry interesting, I'm scrubbing into quite a few cases, and I've got three different research things going on.

I guess I don't know how to "relax." :oops:

How're things??

scootergreene said:
Evo,
The new macs run windows XP... According to the reps in the computer store on campus, they run windows OS faster than the Dells... 'Yes, all the software that the Medical School uses has been tested on the Mac Book Pro and it actually boots up quicker and runs faster than on the Dell D610.' Kind of exciting.. I guess...
Well shoot. If it runs XP that well and the Apple OS, I'd buy one in a second.

EvoDevo said:
Hey AD! Yeah, it's going really well. I've discovered a particular specialty is which is veeeeeeerrrry interesting, I'm scrubbing into quite a few cases, and I've got three different research things going on.

I guess I don't know how to "relax." :oops:

How're things??

Good....in the process of moving, and getting very antsy about not being busy. I feel like I should be doing research this summer too. But then again....I'll have next summer, right?

AsianDoc816 said:
I believe that the first day we can obtain our IDs and parking permits is on June 15th. I made the mistake of going over to the parking office early, and the guy working there told me that no one from the class of 2010 could receive anything until the 15th. He explained that the school is waiting for the older students to turn over their parking permits so there will be more parking available for us. I think that UTHSCSA should be sending us a letter about parking and badges soon. Hope this helps.

Very helpful, thanks!

AsianDoc816 said:
Good....in the process of moving, and getting very antsy about not being busy. I feel like I should be doing research this summer too. But then again....I'll have next summer, right?
absolutely. :) Let me know if you need help moving.

EvoDevo said:
absolutely. :) Let me know if you need help moving.

We'll have a moving party for you AD!!!!! :love:

Megalin said:
We'll have a moving party for you AD!!!!! :love:

Thanks guys! I have a moving company coming on Friday to move my furniture; right now, I'm transporting items that either can't be put into boxes or are breakable into my new apartment. I'll definitely let you know if I need additional hands though! :D

AsianDoc816 said:
Thanks guys! I have a moving company coming on Friday to move my furniture; right now, I'm transporting items that either can't be put into boxes or are breakable into my new apartment. I'll definitely let you know if I need additional hands though! :D

Okay :)

When you're all done, we can celebrate. :) Evo and I are envious of your new digs.

Megalin said:
Okay :)

When you're all done, we can celebrate. :) Evo and I are envious of your new digs.
Hey, my new place is going to be pretty cool too. :thumbup:

EvoDevo said:
Hey, my new place is going to be pretty cool too. :thumbup:

Yeah but I'm not helping YOU move. :thumbdown:

J/K. Just don't ask me to do the heavy lifting. ;)