Official Whats It Going To Cost Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

eddiemoe

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just got accepted to WVU. Since I am an in state student it looks like it will cost me a total of $79,000 if fees and tuition remain the same throughout.

How about you guys? Whats it gonna cost?

Members don't see this ad.

$280,000 (tuition+board) at Pacific. I just crapped your total tuition in 9 months....Ouch!

Unemployed said:
$280,000 (tuition+board) at Pacific. I just crapped your total tuition in 9 months....Ouch!

WOW! :idea: Thats scary to even think about. Well I am sure lots of people would gladly take your spot and debt to get the opportunity. Thats crazy though! Congrats however!

Members don't see this ad :)
eddiemoe said:
WOW! :idea: Thats scary to even think about. Well I am sure lots of people would gladly take your spot and debt to get the opportunity. Thats crazy though! Congrats however!

Very true. I am extremely honored to be given an acceptance to dental school. Congrats to you too!

being that pacific is a 3 year program, u actually subtract a yr of income to the total cost. or that's what their dean was advertising.

food4thots said:
being that pacific is a 3 year program, u actually subtract a yr of income to the total cost. or that's what their dean was advertising.

Well the dean is an idiot. Dentists get paid based on productivity. How could a program thats packed into 3 years produce a more productive dentist as compared to a 4-yr program?

I dont buy it. The dean is a salesman.

eddiemoe said:
Well the dean is an idiot. Dentists get paid based on productivity. How could a program thats packed into 3 years produce a more productive dentist as compared to a 4-yr program?

Your tuition pays for access to a schools facitilies, professors, etc. You're only using them for 3 years as opposed to 4. What does it have to do with productivity?

eddiemoe said:

See I was just plain nice to you on the other post...and then you diss my school. Not cool. Maybe you should replace "the dean is an idiot" with eddiemoe. For a future colleague, I hope you don't look down at other Pacific dentist.

Here's my comeback to your uncalled trollish-remarks:

Originally Posted by Jess_SB
I'm tired of this rumor too. People don't seem to understand how UOP can fit four years into three. But the 2003-2004 ADA survey of Dental Eduaction should put this all to rest. The hours devoted to each subject are tallied over the entire curriculum, I not about to write out all of the subjects, but the here is a run-down of the major categories:

Clinical Sciences:
UOP - 5356 Hours
National Average - 3895

Biomedical Sciences:
UOP - 684
National Average - 800

Behavioral Sciences:
UOP - 178
National Average - 158

Grand Total:
UOP - 6218
National Average - 4853

The average instructional week at UOP is 47.1 hours vs the National average of 30.6 hours.

I am not saying that total class time is the most important factor, but that normally seems to be what people are confused about.

I also understand that people will argue that there is no time for research or volunteering - but we still do it!

Hope these numbers clear some things up - personally I am loving my experience here!

Unemployed said:
See I was just plain nice to you on the other thread...and then you diss my school. Not cool. Maybe you should replace "the dean is an idiot" with eddiemoe.

Here's my comeback to your uncalled trollish-remarks:

Originally Posted by Jess_SB
I'm tired of this rumor too. People don't seem to understand how UOP can fit four years into three. But the 2003-2004 ADA survey of Dental Eduaction should put this all to rest. The hours devoted to each subject are tallied over the entire curriculum, I not about to write out all of the subjects, but the here is a run-down of the major categories:

Clinical Sciences:
UOP - 5356 Hours
National Average - 3895

Biomedical Sciences:
UOP - 684
National Average - 800

Behavioral Sciences:
UOP - 178
National Average - 158

Grand Total:
UOP - 6218
National Average - 4853

The average instructional week at UOP is 47.1 hours vs the National average of 30.6 hours.

I am not saying that total class time is the most important factor, but that normally seems to be what people are confused about.

I also understand that people will argue that there is no time for research or volunteering - but we still do it!

Hope these numbers clear some things up - personally I am loving my experience here!

Well what can I say, the idiot sold you. Two idiots doesnt make it right!

ha ha. Now don't call me a troll again little man.

eddiemoe said:
Well what can I say, the idiot sold you. Two idiots doesnt make it right!

ha ha. Now don't call me a troll again little man.

wow...you just read my long post and replied all within 2 minutes. Impressive. I highly doubt anyone in this forum or the dental community would even associate Dean Dugoni with the term idiot. Think before you type. Enough with the chat. Congrats to you. Congrats to me.

P.S. I'm 6'5 and California>West Virginia :laugh:

I love 'I am the alpha dog' arguments...on the internet :D

UoP is expensive sure, but you do get out a year early. It won't matter in ten years anyway.
Temple will probably be around 250,000 all said and done.

Unemployed said:
wow...you just read my long post in 2 minutes and replied. Impressive. I highly doubt anyone in this forum or the dental community would even associate Dean Dugoni with the term idiot. Think before you type. Enough with the chat. Congrats to you. Congrats to me.

Well said dude!

Pitt is $67,000 a year,So, by 60 years old I should have just paid it off. I have slightly been starting to lose sleep over this issue already. Oh well, I am just thankful I am in somewhere, and Pitt was my favorite by far.

Members don't see this ad :)
I find it highly ironic that someone who is going to one of the worst schools in the country (WVU) would be ignorant enough to insult one of the best schools in the country (UOP) and even go so far as to call the dean of that school an idiot. Maybe next time before you go insulting a top tier dental school/dean, you should could stop making out with your cousin for long enough to do a little research and make an intelligent contribution to this forum.

sunphish said:
Pitt is $67,000 a year,So, by 60 years old I should have just paid it off. I have slightly been starting to lose sleep over this issue already. Oh well, I am just thankful I am in somewhere, and Pitt was my favorite by far.

According to the USC website the estimated cost for next year (2006) is $75,423.00 (tuition and other expences)! And about the same for year 2 and 3.

food4thots said:

but if you think about it, you also start your loan repayment one year earlier. so that benefit of starting to get paid 1 year early is drawn out over 20 years or the amount of years you will be in repayment. It is really not as beneficial as it sounds.

And to add my two cents. dean dugoni is one of the most respected and influencial deans in the dental community. His speeches are highly motivational and appreciated.

Unemployed said:
wow...you just read my long post and replied all within 2 minutes. Impressive. I highly doubt anyone in this forum or the dental community would even associate Dean Dugoni with the term idiot. Think before you type. Enough with the chat. Congrats to you. Congrats to me.

Oh your 6'5" then I am so sorry I affended you :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

DREDAY said:
but if you think about it, you also start your loan repayment one year earlier. so that benefit of starting to get paid 1 year early is drawn out over 20 years or the amount of years you will be in repayment. It is really not as beneficial as it sounds.

Well that was what I was gettin at. Its not beneficial. I mean, who wouldnt like to go to school an extra year and pay $200,000 less. You wont save $200,000 in one year after school. Youll be lucky if you make $130,000 the first year out and youll probably only save $15,000 of that after buying a car and house.

The guy may be very respected but if he made a comment that their school is worth $200k+ for 3 years because you get out a year early then that makes him an idiot in my eyes and ONE HECK OF A GOOD SALESPERSON.

Now, lets get back to the original thread, and I would appreciate it if no one else tries to intimidate me in a public forum for the expression of my feelings on certain topics.

And god, don't tell me you are 6'5", I laughed so hard before when I read that and almost peed all over myself! :laugh:

HermeytheElf said:
I find it highly ironic that someone who is going to one of the worst schools in the country (WVU) would be ignorant enough to insult one of the best schools in the country (UOP) and even go so far as to call the dean of that school an idiot. Maybe next time before you go insulting a top tier dental school/dean, you should could stop making out with your cousin for long enough to do a little research and make an intelligent contribution to this forum.

Hey if you take your moms tit out of your mouth for 1 minute you can type faster and think better, that will help you come up with better insults and make you look smarter.

Now the cousin insult was real original. Now go change your diaper and do a google search for something that will hurt my feelings real good. :sleep:

howui3 said:
According to the USC website the estimated cost for next year (2006) is $75,423.00 (tuition and other expences)! And about the same for year 2 and 3.

Wow, thats really amazing. It will cost me $79,000 total for all four years.

I feel very lucky after reading these posts. I had no idea that schools cost so much.

eddiemoe said:

I feel very lucky after reading these posts. I had no idea that schools cost so much.

WOW, that IS cheap! UMKC is almost 28,000/yr so like 120K total.

eddiemoe said:

When did you interview?

Geez...

How about we start acting with some class around here. I thought we were all about to become doctors. Seriously, these are our peers, how about we show some respect.

Utes

grmaster1 said:
When did you interview?

First day of interviews. I was so nervous as WVU was my first choice. The staff were great though and I was amazed at how relaxed the interview process was.

I think I am going to fit in great there. Cant wait to get started. Where do you plan on living? Townhome or house? Rent or purchase?

Utes said:
Geez...

How about we start acting with some class around here. I thought we were all about to become doctors. Seriously, these are our peers, how about we show some respect.

Utes

Now seriously, why post for the sake of posting? That didnt contribute to our discussion. Also, those that are getting in may or may not become dentists. They have to get through their program first which may be 4 years or later from now. So its safe to say that no one here is about to become anything soon.

I'm about to become POOR!

hehehe touche!