Oh no, Please Help

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

RunMD

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
While filling out a secondary, I was looking over my amcas and for an activity that I did while I was at home (summer, winter, spring and thanksgiving break) I put the dates as June 2003 to August 2004 (the entire period). I put 5 hrs a week, which is averaged for the times that I volunteered there. I just realized that I didn't mention anywhere that I just did these activities while at home and not during the schoolyear. I guess it could be assumed that it was only while I was at home because the city I wrote is my hometown and not where I go to shcool. But is that a problem? I don't want it to be construed as dishonesty, is there anything I should do about it? I'm really worried, please help. :eek:

Members don't see this ad.

RunMD said:
While filling out a secondary, I was looking over my amcas and for an activity that I did while I was at home (summer, winter, spring and thanksgiving break) I put the dates as June 2003 to August 2004 (the entire period). I put 5 hrs a week, which is averaged for the times that I volunteered there. I just realized that I didn't mention anywhere that I just did these activities while at home and not during the schoolyear. I guess it could be assumed that it was only while I was at home because the city I wrote is my hometown and not where I go to shcool. But is that a problem? I don't want it to be construed as dishonesty, is there anything I should do about it? I'm really worried, please help. :eek:

I wouldn't sweat it unless the secondary specifically asks you to list your activities. They usually ask for something else anyway. If asked about it during the interview, tell them that it was an honest mistake, and there was no option to change it.

I dont think its a big deal.

However, if you are worried about it, I believe that you may be able to alter it on AMCAS. Its verified but you can still logon and update some information

good luck

Members don't see this ad :)
You cannot alter your work and activities on AMCAS once you've submitted, unless you get a special request granted from them, which would take an INCREDIBLE amount of time to get (go look at verification times right now)...
Have your secondary match your AMCAS and explain at interviews if needed. It was an honest mistake. It isn't like you were fluffing hours or like you said you did it for three years when you only did it for one. :)

rup47 said:
I dont think its a big deal.

However, if you are worried about it, I believe that you may be able to alter it on AMCAS. Its verified but you can still logon and update some information

good luck

Thanks. Would that delay them from looking at my file

You CANNOT ALTER THINGS ON AMCAS ONCE YOU SUBMIT! It WILL NOT let you. Part of the agreement when you hit submit is that you are all set. How hard is this?

RunMD said:
Thanks. Would that delay them from looking at my file

See Jackie's posts. It seems I was mistaken about you being able to alter your activities.

Its been a while (almost a year) since I've logged into my AMCAS so I forgot what was updateable and what was not.

sorry bout that.

I still wouldnt worry too much, you were doing that activity over that period of time just not everyweek, a very understandable and honest mistake

Good luck