Ohio Applicant Stats/Decisions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Oallostavros

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Guys, I was hoping I could get Ohio residents who have applied in years past or are applying this year to share some of their stats and decisions they have received from schools.

Also, if any Ohio applicant with low GPA but high MCATs got accepted to an ohio school (or any school for that fact), it would be great to hear your stats too.

I'll go first.

GPA 3.26 from CWRU, MCAT 10, 10, 11, extras, research, volunt.
So far, Interviewing @ Cincinnati in October

Members don't see this ad.

I'm not sure about instate, but a friend of mine got in last year, after sending her application in right before the deadline. She had a GPA of ~3.4 and MCAT of 29. Hope that helps some.

ok. i'll play. :)

Ugrad GPA: 3.1
Grad GPA: 3.6
MCAT: 11,11,N,11 work exp., no research, volunteer
So Far, interview at Cincy 9/23

I also have two comrades applying with me...

dr
Ugrad GPA: 3.51
MCAT: 9,9,P,11 published research, volunteer, currently pursuing MHA at Michigan
So far, interview at Cincy 9/23, NYMC 11/20

nf
Ugrad GPA: 2.6
Grad GPA: 3.6
MCAT: 10,10,P,9 no work exp., no research, volunteer
applied early decision to Cincy, interviewed 9/10

me and dr applied to all schools in Ohio, and a scattering of lower tier private schools east of the Mississippi. please, just take us, somebody :) thanks

Members don't see this ad :)
6 MD schools in Ohio. We're pretty lucky that way.

I have a BA in History from U of Michigan, and did postbac science work at Cleveland state. 3.4 overall gpa, 3.7 science. 31 MCAT but lopsided, 13-15 9 Q 9. 5 years good work experience in business, one patent in my name. Decent (but slightly old) vol work/clinical experience. No research. No interviews yet, but just got my last LOR in last week.

My classmate at Ohio State had a 3.1 gpa and a 34 MCAT.

I think MCATs are more influential than gpa's overall, because they allow for cross measurement between people from different programs.

My 4.0 from Tulsa Junior College didn't probably tell them too much; needed the MCAT scores to back it up.

Hi.

I'm finishing a BA in English at Cleveland State University that I started years ago at University of Akron and had to postpone.
13,9,Q,11 MCAT 3.73 overall, 3.98 BCPM. I've got a little volunteer, a little research, and luke warm ECs. I've had interviews at Pitt and Wright State, and have upcoming at Cincinnati, MCO, and U WVa. I hope to hear still from Case and OSU- I don't expect to hear from UPenn, UMich, Sinai. I'm also waiting on Temple and neoucom.

Well, here I go.

I have a BS in Biology and minor in Spanish. GPA 3.79, MCAT 11,10,11. I did my fair share of research, some volunteering, but had a health-care job in a hospital, which I think was very important. I applied in 2001 to 11 schools, mostly in-state schools, and got accepted to UC and Case.

Originally posted by WSUreds
Well, here I go.

I have a BS in Biology and minor in Spanish. GPA 3.79, MCAT 11,10,11. I did my fair share of research, some volunteering, but had a health-care job in a hospital, which I think was very important. I applied in 2001 to 11 schools, mostly in-state schools, and got accepted to UC and Case.

Just curious. Did you withdraw from other schools when you got your Case and UC, or were you rejected, if you don't mind answering?

He withdrew/didnt show up for his interviews at osu and wsu.

Beat you to it, WSUreds :)

No, I don't mind. After I had already been accepted to UC and Case, I was unsure I wanted to keep traveling and spend all that money b/c I was totally pysched about both of the schools.

I decided I would go on the interviews I had already scheduled, MCO and Wright State. But after the interview at MCO, it reaffirmed my excitement about the other schools, so I withdrew from MCO immediately. I already knew enough about Wright State and knew I wouldn't be happy there, so I withdrew the day before my interview. And I had heard many horror stories about OSU and decided to withdraw before my interview there also. I didn't even schedule my interview at the only out of state school that had offered an interview. I basically decided that I wanted to be finished with process early and not have worry about anything else and enjoy my senior year.

By the way, I didn't apply to NEOUCOM b/c that place is so small. The only schools I got rejected from were reach schools which I really didn't expect to get into.

WSUreds,

I'm curious, what were the horror stories about OSU?

Just curious...I'm an OSU grad, UC undergrad. My experiences were pretty positive overall. I felt like my training was excellent really, especially when comparing to intern colleagues out of other schools.

I remember OSU recruited some hotshot CT surgeon out of a big name school out east (sorry, I've forgotten which one). One of our staff asked about the quality of the residents there, how they must have been really outstanding. This guy thought a minute and said, "It's true, they are very smart. A patient crashes in the middle of the night and within 24 hours the resident produces 3 published papers on that subject for your review. But here, when a patient crashes, the intern calls me, has already intubated the patient, placed central access, ordered the appropriate work up, diagnosed the problem and initiated the correct management protocol. There's nothing left for me to do!" :clap:

'Scuse my school pride showing through :)

Do any of you know the MCAT cutoff for people who receive interviews at UC?

I just heard many stories about the strife between the three different pathways. I just didn't think it provided a very unified class which I definitely wanted. I also heard that there was some jealousy and competitiveness between PBL and LD. Don't get me wrong, I know the education there is great, I just didn't want the extra drama associated with it.

Don't quote me on this, but I think the cutoff here at UC is a 27.

Members don't see this ad :)
UPDATE (10/4) to my post above:

"nf" was accepted at Cincinatti and will attend next year.

Any new news coming out of Ohio?

August MCAT'er applying to:

1. Cincinnati: secondary finished
2. Ohio State: secondary finished
3. Wright State: secondary finished
4. Case: secondary finished
5. MCO: being screened for secondary
6. NEOUCOM: being screened for secondary
7. Ohio University: secondary finished

8. Michigan State
9. Univ. of Michigan
10. Wright State

11. Lake Erie College of Medicine

Hi Green.

I had interviews at:

Pitt, Wright, Cincinnati, MCO

Have upcoming at WVa U., Case, and NEOUCOM

Secondaries submitted at UMich, UPenn, Temple, Sinai and OSU, but no invitations to interview yet.

hey all
i'm an ohio res. with a 3.5 cum gpa and 33 mcat 11v 10b 12p and I'm applying to all ohio schools except neoucom...so far i have an interview at u cincy on 10/22--anyone else going to be there that day? FYI--they granted me an interview before receiving my LORs (maybe this is just how they do things??)

Damn! Who would've ever thought that there were so many Ohio people in these forums.

oh yeah....and..

GO BUCKS!

GO BUCKS!

btw, how is the likelihood of getting into Ohio school for out-of-state student? I am an undergrad. in one of the Ohio public school, but I am not a resident of Ohio. Do you know which college out of 6 MD schools and 1 DO school in Ohio is/are nicer toward accepting out-state applicant?

THANKS!!

Kicking San Jose State ass tomorrow!

I'm out of state and applied to Case Western, Ohio State, and Cincinnati. I've had interviews at Case and OSU.

As for general possibilities, here's the out-of-state numbers for applicants. Roll your own optimism or pessimism:

(school) (applied) (interviewed) (accepted)
Ohio State: 1,944 284 158
NEUCOM: 604 32 20
MCO: 1,326 160 80
OUCOM: 438 45 32
Case: 4,309 436 202
Cincinnati: 1,799 167 93
Wright: 1,605 45 26

The out of state acceptance rate for most Ohio schools is between 10-20%. Where are you going for undergrad and how long have you been living here?

Here's a site with info about the stats http://www.aamc.org/data/facts/start.htm

Originally posted by gooloogooloo
GO BUCKS!

btw, how is the likelihood of getting into Ohio school for out-of-state student? I am an undergrad. in one of the Ohio public school, but I am not a resident of Ohio. Do you know which college out of 6 MD schools and 1 DO school in Ohio is/are nicer toward accepting out-state applicant?

THANKS!!

Kicking San Jose State ass tomorrow!

GO BUCKEYES!!

DO school in Athens, OH seems pretty nice...beautiful countryside...45 min from my hometown!!

Kind of off the subject but I heard at my pre-med honor society meeting at OSU that a new med school is opening soon at the Cleveland Clinic.

Originally posted by crystal18mc
Kind of off the subject but I heard at my pre-med honor society meeting at OSU that a new med school is opening soon at the Cleveland Clinic.

Yeah, I heard the same thing from Dr. Kirby at CWRUSOM. He said that it was a collaboration between Case and the Clinic that will begin in 2004. You would apply to Case separate from the regular MD or MSTP programs. This will be a 5 year program to train research clinicians. It will probably be pretty competitive.

Originally posted by gooloogooloo
GO BUCKS!

I think the 15 to 20% figure is about right.

The really cool thing about Ohio State (other than the Buckeyes and living in Columbus) is that they grant you state residency after your first year. HUGE difference in tuitions - huge. From 30+K down to 9K when I was attending, back in Greek Parthenon days...)

I read a newspaper article about the Cleveland Clinic school quite a while ago. As I recal it will be very small (like 25 students/class) and oriented toward training research scientists. The reason this sucks for some is that as a result of forming their own school, the cleveland clinic discontinued their association with OSU. I bet the progarm will be very competitive....the chance to train at what is probably the best known institution of its type.....

I heard 20 MD, 20 MD/PhD per class at the new CCF med school. Good old Al Lerner gave them $100 million to get the place started, so they won't be short of funding...

Too bad it doesn't open until 2004! :)

Its going to be an MD degree.
The first class will be 32 (4 groups of 8). The curriculum is purely PBL.
The school is under CWRU. Its name is the Al Lerner CCF College of Medicine at CWRU.
The class at ccf will have limited interaction with cwru students.
They are thinking about eliminating dissectional anatomy for the ccf folks.
CCF rotations are opening for case students. Recently, the surgery rotation opened up.
Thats all i know for now.

In addition to the name, the CCF students will actually take all of their first year with CWRU med students. It will not be until the 2nd year that CCF students will diverge from CWRU students in their studies/location.

Ollostavros,
Im not sure that what you said is correct. Where did you get your information from? As far as I know you are incorrect.

Hey. I can't say that I'm a 100% sure, but i'm 90~percent sure that's what I heard when I was listening to the state of the medical school address by the dean. I think the speach is still online if you search for it using google. In the speach, the dean also talks about how the school wants to get rid of their Ohio quota of 60%. etc..

Rejected pre-secondary from NEOUCOM. Of course it was my first choice because I live 20 minutes away.

Got a secondary from MCO. I think they screen so at least it's a good sign.

Good luck Ohioans!

Originally posted by Oallostavros
Hey. I can't say that I'm a 100% sure, but i'm 90~percent sure that's what I heard when I was listening to the state of the medical school address by the dean. I think the speach is still online if you search for it using google. In the speach, the dean also talks about how the school wants to get rid of their Ohio quota of 60%. etc..

From what we hear as students, our planned interaction so far would be Tuesday-mornig Introduction to Clinical Medicine groups.

*bump*

any updates from ohio applicants? love to hear if everyone is making out ok! :) you know, keep up the ohio spirit and all. go ohio! :)

Ohio schools rock!

:cool:

i interviewed and have been accepted at Ohio State, Case, Cinci, and MCO. Applied to Wright but no word from them yet on an interview.

What are other people hearing?? What do other Ohioians like about the different schools? Anyone already decided on where they are going????

Where's the Ohio love people???

:p :love:

Ohio Love right here! I'm from Cincinnati (living in Chicago right not) and I've been accepted at UC, have an interview Dec. 9 at OSU and turned down an interview at WSU (no word yet from MCO and I didn't apply to the other 2 schools!) I'm leaning towards UC or OSU if I go in-state (highly likely)...anyone have positive things to say about either school that could sway me?

I'm in at Wright, MCO, and Cin, as far as Ohio schools go. I'm in the hold category at Case, and have an OSU interview Dec. 18th. Declined interview at NEOUCOM. I'm hoping for Case since I live in Cleveland, great school, etc. If not Case, I'm hoping for Pitt. Otherwise OSU and Cin are a tossup.

I'm in at NEOUCOM, on hold post interview at Case, and have an interview at Cinci the week after next. Still waiting to hear from O-State. Cancelled interviews at MCO and Wright after getting into NEOUCOM.

I'd love to go to Case for the same reasons as Dr. Octopus. However, It'll be hard for me to justify going into an extra $100k of debt vs. a state school.

Out of state I'm still waiting to hear from Vermont, Rochester, and Pitt.

Out-of-state here, but my family is from Toledo/Cleveland...and for some reason, the state of Ohio loves me more than anywhere else.

Accepted at Cincinnati and Ohio State, and in continuing review at Case Western. Can't really say which of OSU and Cincinnati I prefer quite yet; probably leaning towards Ohio State, but I'm not going to worry about it until April and it turns out they're my only two choices.

Those of you hearing from Ohio State, Wright State, and NEOUCOM for interviews, how did they notify you? Given what people are saying about certain MCAT or GPA numbers being considered first at schools like Ohio State, and given the upcoming vacation season, I just wanted to see how you all heard about those schools to schedule interviews. Email, I can check anywhere, snail mail I can't. Just curious!

Yeah, Ohio!!

Ohio State sends the invite via email with a date they want you to come and interview. You can change it if it doesn't work. I did.:D

Hey fellow Ohioans -

I've was waitlisted and then accepted at OSU, and accepted at CWRU two weeks ago. I've also been accepted at UMDNJ-NJMS, so it will come down to a decision between my hometown (Cleveland) versus the wife's hometown (near Newark).

LL

I've been accepted at Cincinatti, Case. I have an interview at MCO coming up. Didn't apply to Wright State. No word from OSU at all.

One of my friends, "dr", has been accepted at Cincinatti, Wright St. and MCO.

go ohio! :)

will ohio state please show this BUCKEYE some love! not a word!!!

...waiting on a UC decision thats coming in about a week!

i still dont understand....why am i not hearing anything from OSU!!

I'm an ohio resident. (april MCAT) I have a few questions/concerns that maybe you guys can help me out with.

I have an interview at Case in early Jan but I have not heard from the other 5 Ohio med schools yet.. is this strange? (Case is a reach school for me, I thought I'd be hearing from MCO and Wright for sure)

Wright State app was in early sept.. letters of rec were sent early sept.. but online status check didn't list my letters of rec until november (I actually had them all sent again in early oct since wright state had not posted them yet.. and so now when I check my status on line they have each letter of rec listed twice) Does wright state only list your letters of recs when you check your status on line? It does not say COMPLETE anywhere and they never sent me anything saying that it was complete. Can I assume it's complete or should I call them?

If people are getting put on the waitlist for OSU now, does that mean that anyone who interviews from now on will only have a shot at the waitlist?

If you are in at Case now..how long after your interview did you have to wait before they told you?

I'm looking forward to hearing your replies. Thanks!

Originally posted by luw
If you are in at Case now..how long after your interview did you have to wait before they told you?

I interviewed on Nov. 5th and heard the week before Thanksgiving, so it was pretty darn quick.

LL

I interviewed at OSU and was told that they meet at the end of every month to decide what letters to send to all of the candidates that interviewed that month. You can get a 1) accept 2) reject or 3) defer. You are deferred until about Feb, and if you are still on "defer" status, they move you to their waitlist. But there is a possibility that when they evaluate applicants in a subsequent month that you could be pulled off the defer pile and put in the accept OR reject pile as well (or stay deferred).

So...to answer your question, I don't think that OSU is interviewing only for the waitlist now :D

DoubleL,
Thanks for the reply!

Congrats and Good Luck to all the Ohio peeps! I'm still waiting for one of these med schools to bring me back to OHIO for good!

- luw