Ohio people! Wright State vs MCO

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

crys20

make it happen!
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys! Was wondering if any Ohio people could comment on Wright State versus MCO (Now MUO!). I've interviewed at both and liked both of them quite a bit...Location wise I think I prefer Dayton to Toledo. Does anyone know how the reputation of these schools compares?

Members don't see this ad.

Tough decision. But not a bad position to be in. ;)

I dont know much about either to provide any advice, but i'd say they're both about the same in terms of how well known they are. I'd pick based on the curriculum/location/campus. Wright State has a ugrad population, where MCO does not, correct? That might be something i'd weigh in.

One thing to consider is how students performed on Step 1. 140 out of 143 passed on their first try at MUO. And their average was better than the national average. Another thing to consider is the direction of the program. MUO is looking to the future. There are talks of a merger with University of Toledo. And the president is pushing for more research and well-known faculty. You have the opportunity to pursue research if you would like, but you definitely are not forced into it. The one thing you should know is that you can't make a bad choice between the schools. Go to the one where you feel more comfortable, score well on your boards, and you will be able to do anything you want. Good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
I interviewed there last year and found myself very uncomfortable b/c the school, with all their cultural competency efforts, discriminates against GLBT applicants. Of course, there's a 90% chance that doesn't apply to you, but are you comfortable being at a school that does that?

Specifically, the lecture that I sat in on was a discussion of life stages and family structures, and the professor was nice enough to mention the growing social problem of GLBT people being allowed raise children. ("Allowed" was the exact word the prof used... it's kinda burned into my brain)

Then, in one of my interviews, everything went very well until the topic of sexuality came up (and it was nowhere in my application, the guy just dug and dug), then went sour VERY rapidly. And, he was one of the bigwigs on the admissions committee.

That said, I really liked the campus, and the fact that it was healthcare-dedicated.

i think 100% of the current third year class passed the boards on their first try at WSU. The curriculum definitely has a board focus. The curriculum is in blocks of subjects which is pretty nice. After 9 weeks of anatomy you take biochem, etc. So you don't have to juggle a whole lot of classes and constantly change gears.

In terms of reputation, I would personally would rank MUO higher than WSU. That being said, I was really impressed with Wright State at my interview. Much more than I expected to be. Ultimately, I would base your decision less on reputation and more on where you think you will be happiest. You will get a good education at either school.

Personally, I think having an undergraduate institution can be more of a pain than an advantage. You will rarely set foot outside of the medical campus in a combined institution. A lot of things that irritate people at my school are university issues that the medical college has no control over.

Good luck.

Come to Toledo!

:) As to the comment about GLBT cultural competancy, I've not seen anything but sincere efforts to make students who are, comfortable and welcomed. AND a real effort to teach cultural competency to the medical students.

We just had a week long lecture series over lunch (man I never thought I'd get sick of pizza) and cultural acceptance and openness was the topic of two of the days.

As for a 100% Step 1 first time pass rate, I find it EXREMELY hard to believe. But MUO had a 96% first time pass, and the other 6 people passed on their second time.

The big benefit of our school is the we're concentrated. The hospital is right here, as are all of the other buildings. Plus...tunnels! Altho, I admit I got lost the other day...

Anway, if you have questions, we have answers, just let me know.

Dan

MUO - Class of 2009

Hey thanks everyone for the info! Toledo is still my only acceptance and I'm very excited about it but I did really like Dayton.

Dan...I'll have to PM ya. How do you like living in Toledo? Do you have cool normal people in your class? :) Do you ever go over to the Hilton's indoor pool/hot tub? :)

Immolatis said:
Come to Toledo!

:) As to the comment about GLBT cultural competancy, I've not seen anything but sincere efforts to make students who are, comfortable and welcomed. AND a real effort to teach cultural competency to the medical students.

We just had a week long lecture series over lunch (man I never thought I'd get sick of pizza) and cultural acceptance and openness was the topic of two of the days.

As for a 100% Step 1 first time pass rate, I find it EXREMELY hard to believe. But MUO had a 96% first time pass, and the other 6 people passed on their second time.

The big benefit of our school is the we're concentrated. The hospital is right here, as are all of the other buildings. Plus...tunnels! Altho, I admit I got lost the other day...

Anway, if you have questions, we have answers, just let me know.

Dan

MUO - Class of 2009

I am a third year at MUO and I agree that I have heard nothing but acceptance of everyone here.

As a member of the class who just took the boards, here is how we did - 140/143 passed on the first try = 98%(I hate to be a stickler) and our average was 218. And yes the ones who failed passed the 2nd time.
I am unable comment on how the WSU class performed, but it would be very impressive if 100% passed on the first try.

PM me if you have any questions!

I was wondering the exact same thing between the two schools. Thank you to everybody who commented, it has been very helpful. I personally had a better feeling at MUO, rather than WSU. During rhe lecture I attended at WSU, everyone was talking, not much respect for the teacher it seemed. However, I did not see a lecture at MUO to compare. Both schools had a lot to offer, but MUO seemed more me. I guess during second-look weekends, it would be easier to make a decision by comparing your own criteria. Of course, this is all conjecture for me, as I have not been accepted to either, but hopefully I will get a choice...

Hey. See I actually really liked the lecture at WSU, it was on sickle cell and they brought in this panel of a 30 y/o with the disease, his mother and a LSW or something...I thought it was neat. I think both are fine schools. It seemd like maybe the match was a little bit better @ MUO but I don't know...I think I prefer living in a suburb of Dayton to a not the nicest part of Toledo but school-wise I'm not sure. The big thing is having a ugrad versus not and I've heard both sides of that argument so I'm not sure what I think. The students at WSU also seemed wayyyy friendlier than at MUO but when you only see 2-3 of them that can't be the most representative thing ya know.

For anyone still reading this thread...

MUO's match is much stronger than Wright State's. From my understanding, Wright State produces mostly primary care physicians, and they do a good job of this. MUO's match list last year had 43% of students entering primary care and 57% specializing. Also, over the past 5 years their matchs have been outstanding, placing students in top programs like Hopkins and the like. I hear that well over 75% of students get their top choice and 96% get one of their top 3. Wright State is a great school, but I am convinced that the only reason why MUO isnt ranked much higher in national ratings is beause it is not a research institution. If they were to start pulling more NIH grants, I have a feeling that the school's prestige would skyrocket.

Need any help, PM me!

Grant

crys20 said:
Hey. See I actually really liked the lecture at WSU, it was on sickle cell and they brought in this panel of a 30 y/o with the disease, his mother and a LSW or something...I thought it was neat. I think both are fine schools. It seemd like maybe the match was a little bit better @ MUO but I don't know...I think I prefer living in a suburb of Dayton to a not the nicest part of Toledo but school-wise I'm not sure. The big thing is having a ugrad versus not and I've heard both sides of that argument so I'm not sure what I think. The students at WSU also seemed wayyyy friendlier than at MUO but when you only see 2-3 of them that can't be the most representative thing ya know.

Grant, are you an MUO student?

About the research institution comment...

That may be changing, and quickly...MUO and UT are chatting pretty heavily about a merger...not that it'll affect us, except having 3 names for a school in a year...

But it's supposably going to be a huge difference in research and faculty quality.

EG - Getting different professors to MUO for lecturing, etc...

Rumor has it new name's going to be the University of Ohio.

Gotta love midwesterners, once we find a name we like...

State: Ohio
Universities: Ohio State University, Ohio University, University of Ohio, Ohio Northern University...sigh, we need help :p

Hello, I just wanted to update about MUO and Toledo Merger from another update I saw from a different thread. It seems there will be a merger this July of the two schools! I'm excited to see the implications. Here is the article, care of Cozmosis...

http://www.toledoblade.com/apps/pbc...51217/NEWS21/512170402&SearchID=7322996659505

Immolatis said:
About the research institution comment...

That may be changing, and quickly...MUO and UT are chatting pretty heavily about a merger...not that it'll affect us, except having 3 names for a school in a year...

But it's supposably going to be a huge difference in research and faculty quality.

EG - Getting different professors to MUO for lecturing, etc...

Rumor has it new name's going to be the University of Ohio.

Gotta love midwesterners, once we find a name we like...

State: Ohio
Universities: Ohio State University, Ohio University, University of Ohio, Ohio Northern University...sigh, we need help :p

Haven't read any replies yet, but I thought WSU was an excellent school when I interviewed last year, and I liked it better than MCO. WSU has a very integrated teaching approach that few other schools employ. They teach organ-systems based, but they also include the pathology and pharm along with the normal system function. I feel that this teaching approach is best; it helps commit info to permanent memory when the path and pharm is combined, along with giving you a better understanding of that organ system.

MUO has a similar approach to organ systems. The class 'Organ Systems' takes up 70% of second year at MUO. The other 30% is 'Immunity and Infection' during the first 2-3 months.

There's a thread started that is on the topic of the merger, so you may wanna check that out as well.

I was having a conversation about the integrated organ systems curriculum the other day with a friend who is now a 3rd year from a school that has an ultra traditional curriculum; physio, biochem, anat, etc. first year, then pharm and path separately 2nd year. He said he didn't like the idea of the integrated curriculum; b/c for instance if organ systems were 6 months of the 2nd school year, wouldn't that come down to like 2-3 weeks per system? (My math could be off here :)) And his claim was that 2-3 weeks to learn ALL the physio, then ALL the pharm and path before the physio has really even sunk in is rushed and ineffective.

What do we think?

They're going to cover all the material at either an integrated curriculum school or a traditional school. So that should mean you have the same amount of time for everything. I really don't feel strongly either way. You'll get the same info in the same amount of time with either curriculum. I guess I will lean towards a more integrated curriculum so that you can learn about Sickle Cell disease when you're also learning the basics of hemoglobin and RBC function. Or you can learn the pharmacology behind the treatment of kidney failure as you learn about the function of the kidney.

I really don't think there's ever a time in med school when you won't feel rushed and overwhelmed (I know the only time I don't feel that is the moment I turn in my exam).

crappppp....accepted at both WSU and MUO now :) so thrilled, but now faced dead on with the decision! i need to make my own second look weekends. :)