Ohio Resident

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Doctorman45342

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
3.90 oGPA 3.85 science

DAT: 21 AA 21TS
PAT: 18
Bio:21
Gchem:22
Ochem: 20
Rc: 20
QR: 21
180 volunteer hours at various places in hospital
101 shadowing with 6 dentists (3 different specialties)
few clubs/ work experience
3 (average LORS)

Going to apply to: Ohio State, Midwestern AZ, Louisville. How does this sound? Any additions or subtractions?

Members don't see this ad.

There are like 65 dental schools in U.S. and you need other people's help picking out more than 3? What are you, a child?

You have asked this same question in about 10 threads now.

Members don't see this ad :)
There are like 65 dental schools in U.S. and you need other people's help picking out more than 3? What are you, a child?

You have asked this same question in about 10 threads now.

Ouch guys- OP is just looking for some support. Don't be so harsh on him. The point of these forums is to support fellow students going through the same process as you.

OP, as has been recommended by others, the ADEA guide is EXCELLENT for choosing dental schools. I know you want to save money and that is admirable, but do that during dental school- right now, that guide will help you a lot with getting in.

Still, I'll throw out a few names for you to explore the websites of and to see if you meet the requirements:

UCSF (May be a bit of a reach DAT wise)
MWU-IL
Temple
NYU
BU
Tufts
UNE
LECOM
UConn
nova

this is just a general list to give you a sense of schools that you COULD be competitive at. There are many others too. If I were you, I would go to all these websites, check their requirements and average accepted stats, and make a decision from there. Do your due diligence about each school.

PS- if you really don't want to buy the guide, google "ADEA dental schools" and you'll see a link to a map on the ADEA site. This interactive map contains the positions of all dental schools (in a US map) and directly links to their websites. Use this to find some more.

PPS- OP, are you about to go into your junior year of undergrad? I thought I saw that in another one of your posts. If so, I think it's great that you're testing out the waters so early! I wish you the best.

Good luck!

Reactions: 1 user
With stats like that I would be considering only my state school, schools that offer IS tuition after year 1, and maybe a very select few of private "reach" schools like Harvard/Columbia. I mean this as no slight to Incis0r, but I wouldn't even both with half those schools on his/her list with your stats. You've worked hard enough during undergrad to afford you the opportunity to go to a more modestly priced school. I'd keep UConn, Temple, and UCSF and scrap the others. UMich, Buffalo, UF, UNC are some other options.

But what are you looking for in a school? Suggesting is hard when we don't really know anything about you. Is location important? Are research opportunities important? Etc.

With stats like that I would be considering only my state school, schools that offer IS tuition after year 1, and maybe a very select few of private "reach" schools like Harvard/Columbia. I mean this as no slight to Incis0r, but I wouldn't even both with half those schools on his/her list with your stats. You've worked hard enough during undergrad to afford you the opportunity to go to a more modestly priced school. I'd keep UConn, Temple, and UCSF and scrap the others. UMich, Buffalo, UF, UNC are some other options.

But what are you looking for in a school? Suggesting is hard when we don't really know anything about you. Is location important? Are research opportunities important? Etc.

No slight taken- appreciate your consideration though- I was suggesting a list of schools for OP to look into, not necessarily apply to because he does need more schools than three.

While I agree that he has very strong stats, I do think he should still apply to about 8-10 schools (albeit reasonably priced); you can never be sure in the application process, and it's much cheaper than having to apply again.

I have similar stats to the OP, applying next year. Do you really think we have a shot at schools like UNC and UF? I thought they were OOS-unfriendly.

Reactions: 1 user
No slight taken- appreciate your consideration though- I was suggesting a list of schools for OP to look into, not necessarily apply to because he does need more schools than three.

While I agree that he has very strong stats, I do think he should still apply to about 8-10 schools (albeit reasonably priced); you can never be sure in the application process, and it's much cheaper than having to apply again.

I have similar stats to the OP, applying next year. Do you really think we have a shot at schools like UNC and UF? I thought they were OOS-unfriendly.
I've been out of the application game for a bit, was UF one of those schools that doesn't offer many OOS students interviews? I have buddies in school that were out of state and got interviews at UNC/UF, and I know they offer IS tuition after year one, so that's why I suggested them. But I agree, play the stats game and apply smart. No point in applying to schools if they historically take very few out of state students. That said, I wouldn't let the ADEA book guide your every decision - if I based where I applied solely on where I was likely to get interviews, I never would have ended up getting accepted at some of the schools I did. My point is, you never know what schools are looking for, and whether you have it. If you have the means to cast your net far and wide, I'd go for it, because you might be surprised who sends you an invite.

Some of the schools on your list I applied to and wished I hadn't - had it been the only place I'd gotten in, there's a good chance the monstrous tuition would have persuaded me to rethink my career choice. I think you, and the OP, are in a great position that you have the opportunity to be a little choosy. I don't know where exactly you draw the line with tuition costs, that's super personal, but for me, many of the schools on the list you suggested are just too absurdly costly. I know you are considering HPSP, which I think is a killer deal if you have a desire to serve, and that makes cost a non-issue. Family finances change the equation for some, too.

Either way, great work in undergrad and good luck next cycle!

Reactions: 1 users
I've been out of the application game for a bit, was UF one of those schools that doesn't offer many OOS students interviews? I have buddies in school that were out of state and got interviews at UNC/UF, and I know they offer IS tuition after year one, so that's why I suggested them. But I agree, play the stats game and apply smart. No point in applying to schools if they historically take very few out of state students. That said, I wouldn't let the ADEA book guide your every decision - if I based where I applied solely on where I was likely to get interviews, I never would have ended up getting accepted at some of the schools I did. My point is, you never know what schools are looking for, and whether you have it. If you have the means to cast your net far and wide, I'd go for it, because you might be surprised who sends you an invite.

Some of the schools on your list I applied to and wished I hadn't - had it been the only place I'd gotten in, there's a good chance the monstrous tuition would have persuaded me to rethink my career choice. I think you, and the OP, are in a great position that you have the opportunity to be a little choosy. I don't know where exactly you draw the line with tuition costs, that's super personal, but for me, many of the schools on the list you suggested are just too absurdly costly. I know you are considering HPSP, which I think is a killer deal if you have a desire to serve, and that makes cost a non-issue. Family finances change the equation for some, too.

Either way, great work in undergrad and good luck next cycle!

You, sir, are awesome.

Status
Not open for further replies.