Ohio School Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
uclabruin2003 said:
Hope you get in too! Maybe you can teach me how to shovel snow? Is it really that hard? I cant imagine waking up (an hour?) early to shovel snow? If I had a SUV could I just drive through the snow and not shovel it? Sorry Im lame as hell...

Oh an $20 sounds like too much. Maybe $5. :laugh:

If I get in, I'll definitely teach you how to shovel snow. It's not that difficult, plus it might be the only bit of exercise you'll get in med school. 🙂
 
uclabruin2003 said:
this just about sounds very shi#$y a$$. not that i was gonna bling it anywhere. Is car theft/vandalism that rampant in cleveland?

Should I really get a (gulp) Ford or Chevy?


You could get a car you want and just buy a nice aftermarket alarm for it like a CompuStar. The remote for that alarm is actually a miniature pager with a screen on it. It has a range of about a mile (maybe a little more) and it will tell you if someone has touched your car or opened your door or broke your window or anything the second it happens. You can obviously change up a bunch of settings and whatnot. Something to think about if you want a semi nice car and if car theft/vandalism IS rampant in Cleveland.
 
has anyone interviewed at cincinnati recently? i was there on 11/23 and was hoping a decision would be on the status page today (it seems like 2 weeks post interview was the norm for people who interviewed in sept-oct). any november interviewees have any info? 🙂
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
TMag said:
You could get a car you want and just buy a nice aftermarket alarm for it like a CompuStar. The remote for that alarm is actually a miniature pager with a screen on it. It has a range of about a mile (maybe a little more) and it will tell you if someone has touched your car or opened your door or broke your window or anything the second it happens. You can obviously change up a bunch of settings and whatnot. Something to think about if you want a semi nice car and if car theft/vandalism IS rampant in Cleveland.

that compustar thing sounds sweet...but sounds like its more for a nicer car than what i will ever get.
 
stargirl50 said:
has anyone interviewed at cincinnati recently? i was there on 11/23 and was hoping a decision would be on the status page today (it seems like 2 weeks post interview was the norm for people who interviewed in sept-oct). any november interviewees have any info? 🙂

Stargirl -

I was there on 11/23, too! I've been checking the status page daily. I wonder if they are running a few days slower with our interview group due to the Thanksgiving Holiday. I'm still holding out hope that it will be up by the end of the week, while trying to keep myself from checking the page more than once a day.

Amy
 
Just checked the Cinci status page - interviewed 11/23, accepted 12/09!!! WooHoo!!

I also have an interview scheduled at MCO on 1/13.

Stargirl - did you get in?

Amy
 
Just wondering, any CCLCM people on this thread? Are you guys going to go here for sure?

Congrats on the recent UCincy accepts!
 
Re: snow. It's not really that bad. You're not going to school in Buffalo or Minnesota! (I do recommend NOT living in Lake County. They get almost as much lake-effect snow as Buffalo does. But you wouldn't live there anyway.)

I learned to drive in Cleveland in an old FWD car with no ABS. Since I was 16 and stupid, I didn't take all the corners slow enough and ended up sliding into a couple of snowbanks, but it was at like 5mph - no damage, no pain. If you aren't a ***** you will be fine.

If you've never driven in snow/ice before, you should get someone to teach you. Go to a big empty parking lot and practice getting into skids and steering out of them. It makes it a lot easier to do it when you have to. But basically if you just go slowly enough for the conditions, don't try any fast turns, and don't slam on the brakes, you should be OK.

While I wouldn't buy a RWD car (they are definitely harder to handle in the snow), if you already have one you can give it a try. And you don't need to get an SUV or AWD unless you want that anyway. In fact, most people you see slid off the side of the road are in SUVs; they think their car can handle it so they drive as if it were 70 and sunny. Instant accident!
 
AmyBEMT said:
Just checked the Cinci status page - interviewed 11/23, accepted 12/09!!! WooHoo!!

I also have an interview scheduled at MCO on 1/13.

Stargirl - did you get in?

Amy


Congratulations, Amy! 👍

stargirl - Good luck, hopefully it comes through for you.
 
DocMizzle said:
Congrats! Is Cincy one of your top choices, b/c I'm 99% sure I'll be attending!

We should start a UofCincy Class of 2009 thread!

Hi Docmizzle

Did you ever start this thread??

🙂 cheers
 
AmyBEMT said:
Just checked the Cinci status page - interviewed 11/23, accepted 12/09!!! WooHoo!!

I also have an interview scheduled at MCO on 1/13.

Stargirl - did you get in?

Amy

Congratulations and goodluck on your MCO interview. My UCinny interview is on Jan 10th.
 
i wouldnt worry about the waitlist stargirl....many people get off of the waitlists. it also sucks cuz you have to wait...but everything will work out.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
stargirl50 said:
thanks, uclabruin... if all else fails, ill just mosey on up to cleveland and shovel your snow 😳

Stargirl - so sorry. Do you have any other upcoming interviews?
 
stargirl50 said:
no good news for me... now waitlisted at UC and CCLCM. 🙁

many many people get in off waitlists. I wouldn't worry too much. With that said, however, it's better to be proactive. Send in update letters, LOIs, and new grades (if they're good) to the schools that waitlisted you. Give them reasons to take you off the waitlist, instead of waiting for them to find you.

Good luck. :luck:

Jason
 
Regarding UC...

I interviewed 11/30 and just found out that I was put on hold. From my understanding of what the admissions person said, they don't send you a rejection letter, they just tell you you're on hold. It just depends where you are on their list and how many people end up turning down acceptances.

From what my interviewer told me, only about 300-400 students are interviewed for a class size of 150-160. And if you're in-state, you have a 50:50 shot of getting an acceptance after being interviewed.

I just hope my interview wasn't so terrible that I end up at the bottom of the hold list!

Good luck everyone!
Nina
 
Jason110 said:
Send in update letters, LOIs, and new grades (if they're good) to the schools that waitlisted you.
Jason

I was wondering about that. My grades are sucking this semester, so when I update schools, say, in January or February, will it look weird if I don't send them a new transcript or something? I mean, I'm trying to increase my chances of getting in with update letters, not decrease them🙂
 
stargirl50 said:
thanks, uclabruin... if all else fails, ill just mosey on up to cleveland and shovel your snow 😳

aww dont say that. def do what jason. dont be passive! if there is anything i learned in this process...you have to be active! you have to let them know that you want them. let them know why they should want you! sounds dumb but i think it worked for me. anyways much look and again...dont sit there waiting for them to make a decision for you...make the decision for them. :luck:
 
nina512 said:
Regarding UC...
From what my interviewer told me, only about 300-400 students are interviewed for a class size of 150-160.

The lady who presented to our interview group said they would interview about 750, accept about 360 for a class of 160.

This seems a little more reasonable. A lot of the numbers I have looked at (for various schools) indicate that schools typically accept a little less than half of the people they interview and a little less than twice the number they need to fill their class. Obviously, this varies widely. I'm sure the top schools don't need to accept that many to fill their class and lower tier schools accept more than that to fill theirs.

At any rate, good luck. It's hard to tell how much a wait list will move. Last year, rumor had it they weren't moving much, but this changes year to year.

Amy
 
Yahooooooooooooooooo!!!!! I am in, I am in, I am in, I am in. Thank god!!!

Just now received snail mail from Wright state. SUPERDEVIL, I can't thank you enough for your help. THANK YOU VERY MUCH. 🙂 SDN members, you became important part of my life. When ever I needed some help or encouragement, you people were always there. Thank you guys.
 
Congrats, Ravi! Good luck at Cinci. They seemed more about getting to know you at Cinci and not so much about deep, dark ethical questions.

I'm headed to Wright State next week.
 
ravi said:
Yahooooooooooooooooo!!!!! I am in, I am in, I am in, I am in. Thank god!!!

Just now received snail mail from Wright state. SUPERDEVIL, I can't thank you enough for your help. THANK YOU VERY MUCH. 🙂 SDN members, you became important part of my life. When ever I needed some help or encouragement, you people were always there. Thank you guys.
many, many congrats. you've certainly earned it! :clap: :hardy: :clap:
 
AmyBEMT said:
Congrats, Ravi! Good luck at Cinci. They seemed more about getting to know you at Cinci and not so much about deep, dark ethical questions.

I'm headed to Wright State next week.

Thank you! Wright State interview is pretty casual, they want to know you. My student interviewer was very nice. Other person was a retired Doctor.
 
The wright state interview was layed back. The faculty member just tries to loosen you up, to get to know you. We didn't even really talk much about my applications... cartoons and the school. The student interview was more about your motivation... what motivates you? They ask more about stuff from your application. Ravi, I got my UC interview a day after you. Good luck and congrats on the WSU acceptance.
 
Art Vandalay said:
The wright state interview was layed back. The faculty member just tries to loosen you up, to get to know you. We didn't even really talk much about my applications... cartoons and the school. The student interview was more about your motivation... what motivates you? They ask more about stuff from your application. Ravi, I got my UC interview a day after you. Good luck and congrats on the WSU acceptance.

Hi Art Vandalay, thank you. BTW when did you interview at Wright State? Do you have any idea about UC interview?



Lovely 1, did you hear from WSU? Good Luck! :luck:
 
amy- i don't have any more interviews coming up... but the only school i'm waiting to hear back from is osu.

i realize i'm not the norm around here... but i only applied to 4 schools. i felt that my stats, ECs and undergrad institution would get me into one of the ohio schools, where i really want to be... and if not, i plan on doing research at the same place i've been at for the past 2 summers and reapplying next year. i'd be disappointed for sure... but it wouldnt be the end of the world for me. waiting out a year would be far preferable than spending 4 years at a school i didn't want to be at in the first place.

anyways, good luck to everyone. :luck:
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Jason110 said:
many many people get in off waitlists. I wouldn't worry too much. With that said, however, it's better to be proactive. Send in update letters, LOIs, and new grades (if they're good) to the schools that waitlisted you. Give them reasons to take you off the waitlist, instead of waiting for them to find you.

Good luck. :luck:

Jason

thanks for the encouragement. 🙂
 
stargirl50 said:
amy- i don't have any more interviews coming up... but the only school i'm waiting to hear back from is osu.

i realize i'm not the norm around here... but i only applied to 4 schools. i felt that my stats, ECs and undergrad institution would get me into one of the ohio schools, where i really want to be... and if not, i plan on doing research at the same place i've been at for the past 2 summers and reapplying next year. i'd be disappointed for sure... but it wouldnt be the end of the world for me. waiting out a year would be far preferable than spending 4 years at a school i didn't want to be at in the first place.

anyways, good luck to everyone. :luck:

Stargirl,

What schools did you apply to? I only applied to 5. One is NEOUCOM and I have since decided that I would only go there if it was the only place I got accepted. Obviously, no longer an issue. Didn't apply to Case or CCLCM.

OSU would be my top choice, so that I don't have to live away from my husband for four years, but I also realize how tough OSU is to get into. I have not heard back from them yet, either.

I debated on whether or not to schedule a Wright State interview, as I personally rank them below MCO and UC, but I figured it wasn't fair to write them off without visiting them. I have dealt with MCO in the past and have always liked them. My choice (assuming I get into the other two) may come down to the fact that I am strongly interested in EM and the reputation of UC in EM.

I wonder if I talked to you at UC? Are you considered out of state? I wonder if that's why you got put on hold.
 
Hello y'all. I was wondering if folks were still receiving interview invites from Ohio State... I was complete there on Sept. 28th and haven't heard a word. My guess is that they won't reject on their online status check but rather through the mail.

If anyone has any info, I would appreciate it.
 
Case interview Jan. 4th!!!!! triple XD!!!!! interviewing with dr. albert kirby, anyone know him? any one want to host me? im cute! 😀 :laugh:
 
AmyBEMT said:
Stargirl,

What schools did you apply to? I only applied to 5. One is NEOUCOM and I have since decided that I would only go there if it was the only place I got accepted. Obviously, no longer an issue. Didn't apply to Case or CCLCM.

OSU would be my top choice, so that I don't have to live away from my husband for four years, but I also realize how tough OSU is to get into. I have not heard back from them yet, either.

I debated on whether or not to schedule a Wright State interview, as I personally rank them below MCO and UC, but I figured it wasn't fair to write them off without visiting them. I have dealt with MCO in the past and have always liked them. My choice (assuming I get into the other two) may come down to the fact that I am strongly interested in EM and the reputation of UC in EM.

I wonder if I talked to you at UC? Are you considered out of state? I wonder if that's why you got put on hold.

wow, i really hope you get into osu! have you heard from them yet? i'm out of state for undergrad and am just ready to be closer to my family. plus, you can't beat the in-state tuition.

i applied to osu (my 1st choice also), uc, case, cclcm. rejected from case post-sec, on hold after interviews at uc and cclcm, still no word from osu.

amy- check your PMs.
 
Does anyone know safe housing near UCincy? When I interviewed there, a lot of the nearby areas seemed not-so-safe.

And how is the crime in the area around UCincy? Should I be worried?

Jason
 
what is the deal with cincinnati? Is it as harder to get into than MCO from out of state? Has anyone interviewed at both places and would like ot put down their impressions?

Oh yeah, is it as easy to get in state tuition at UC as at MCO? Hey, the 60k i could save would easily pay for my platinum fronts and 22's on my maybach....
 
Jason110 said:
Does anyone know safe housing near UCincy? When I interviewed there, a lot of the nearby areas seemed not-so-safe.

And how is the crime in the area around UCincy? Should I be worried?

Jason

There is plenty of safe housing within a 10-15 minute drive from campus, and rent is fairly cheap if you shop around. I personally have a 1-bedroom apartment that is only 10 minutes from UC, is safe, and cheap ($465 a month).

As far as crime, I don't consider the area around UC more dangerous than any other urban campus. You just have to be smart to keep safe (don't walk alone late at night, don't leave expensive items in full view in your car, etc). I have had no problems in my 4 years of ugrad at UC.
 
Onhold at Case 🙁 🙁 . Wow yesterday I was at the top of the world (I received my first acceptence) and today I am back to normal 🙁 . Well, I guess onhold is not as bad as rejection, I still have hope. But waiting until april seems like a big task! 🙁
 
wends said:
Case interview Jan. 4th!!!!! triple XD!!!!! interviewing with dr. albert kirby, anyone know him? any one want to host me? im cute! 😀 :laugh:

Dr Kirby is the outgoing dean of admissions. very very nice guy. you're lucky!
 
wends said:
Case interview Jan. 4th!!!!! triple XD!!!!! interviewing with dr. albert kirby, anyone know him? any one want to host me? im cute! 😀 :laugh:

I interviewed w/ Dr. Kirby in October! He's awesome... very very nice, very straightfoward, and very informative, since he just retired as the director of Admissions. He was one of my most enjoyable interviewers. And later, during a meeting w/ some students, the students who had interviewed w/ him the year before all talked about how wonderful he was. You'll love him!

(and ps... apparently he's a good advocate at the adcom mtgs... nudge nudge, wink wink... 😉 good luck!!!)
 
soprano said:
I interviewed w/ Dr. Kirby in October! He's awesome... very very nice, very straightfoward, and very informative, since he just retired as the director of Admissions. He was one of my most enjoyable interviewers. And later, during a meeting w/ some students, the students who had interviewed w/ him the year before all talked about how wonderful he was. You'll love him!

(and ps... apparently he's a good advocate at the adcom mtgs... nudge nudge, wink wink... 😉 good luck!!!)

Have you heard of anyone interviewing with Boswell? Any comments on him?
 
sunUCB said:
I was wondering about that. My grades are sucking this semester, so when I update schools, say, in January or February, will it look weird if I don't send them a new transcript or something? I mean, I'm trying to increase my chances of getting in with update letters, not decrease them🙂

hmmm... that's a difficult question, I really don't know what to tell you. Is there anything else that's been important to you besides school work this past semester? Have you been involved in ECs worth mentioning or conducting research? You can mention those things in your update letter if you believe your grades would hurt your acceptance chances. In addition, be sure to mention how you really would like to go to a school (called a letter of interest). Just keep reminding them that you want to go there.

Jason
 
lizbjrddnr said:
Have you heard of anyone interviewing with Boswell? Any comments on him?


I interviewed with Boswellon 11/22. He's a very nice guy, anesthesiologist. My interview was extremely laid back and conversational. No off the wall questions at all. It felt like he was just trying to get to know me. Asked about my favorite class in undergrad, most memorable experience, pretty easy stuff. Actually he never even asked me why i wanted to be a doctor or why i wanted to go to Case. The whole time i was waiting for those questions to come but they never did. All in all i think he was a great interviewer.
 
On hold at case, and damn were they quick about it. Apparently, their wait-list is a perpetual limbo?

This sucks.

Almost feel better now.

No, wait, that was just gas.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
A bunch of SDNers are getting together in NY during New Years... why does New York have to be the center of the universe... I feel we should have our own bash... here in Ohio of course... 🙂
 
NY isnt the center of the universe? i must have missed that somewhere...ha jk.
jason you wouldnt want to be in NYC in times square on midnight. its a big waste of time IMHO. its probably better to be in ohio.
 
I just found out I am on hold at Case... greeeeat... 🙄

Jason
 
Jason110 said:
A bunch of SDNers are getting together in NY during New Years... why does New York have to be the center of the universe... I feel we should have our own bash... here in Ohio of course... 🙂


Well... why don't we?
 
Anyone care to share info regarding the "on hold" list at Case Western? Is it ranked? Does anyone get off it before the waitlist is officially finalized?

Thanks in advance,

Jason