Ohio School Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Jason110 said:
Anyone care to share info regarding the "on hold" list at Case Western? Is it ranked? Does anyone get off it before the waitlist is officially finalized?

Thanks in advance,

Jason

Looking at the previous years posts, onhold list will be still reviewed every two weeks and there is no ranking. If you don't get in by april 15th, you will be placed on waiting list or rejection list. After that, as people withdraw from Case the admission people will try to match the person withdrawing with a person on waitlist (like same MCAT or same GPA or Diversified student etc). FYI only 5 to 10% of people get admitted from waitlist 🙁 🙁 . I am placed on waitlist to 🙁 .
 
Jason110 said:
A bunch of SDNers are getting together in NY during New Years... why does New York have to be the center of the universe... I feel we should have our own bash... here in Ohio of course... 🙂

Count me in. 😀
 
Time for a bump.

Interviewed at WSU yesterday. I was much more impressed than I thought I would be. They have a very nice atmosphere. Loved the non-competitiveness.

To those who have been accepted to multiple Ohio schools, would you mind sharing your thoughts on how you are going to decide which one to attend?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
AmyBEMT said:
To those who have been accepted to multiple Ohio schools, would you mind sharing your thoughts on how you are going to decide which one to attend?

It really comes down to what's a better fit for me, in my opinion. I kinda know what I want to get out of medical school, so I'm looking for one's that would best mesh with my goals. I know this is vague, but that's how I'm doing it.

Ohio has it's fine batch of state schools: WSU, MCO, NEOUCOM, UC, and OSU. Pick one where you'll feel the happiest. Then you're most likely to be a happy graduate.

Jason
 
Rescuing from page 9 ... and just letting people know that OSU out-of-state tuition will be dropping by $10,000 next year! 🙂
 
Hi, everyone!

I'm a high school senior so I guess I don't fit in with most of the people here, but I was accepted Early Action to the NEOUCOM combined BS/MD program a couple of weeks ago. I had four nerve-wracking interviews. It was very scary to say the least... I had never even interviewed for anything before.

I've been looking through countless forum posts since I discovered the site to see if I could find any reviews on NEOUCOM. I was really happy to find this thread! I was a little discouraged when I read that NEOUCOM isn't such a great school from some of you guys because I've been blindingly set on this school since the middle of my junior year. But it might change since they're re-vamping their curriculum, so I'm not too worried. I didn't apply to anything other than this school... I didn't even consider other colleges (neon sign in the back of my head saying BIG MISTAKE throughout the whole process), so I guess I'm really really lucky to have been accepted 😳 I hope I handle going through this accelerated program withough going crazy, but I'm going to make the best of it no matter what happens.

Anyway, I know that this doesen't relate to anything you guys are going through (best of luck to all of you, by the way, and congrats to the accepted), but I haven't been able to find anybody that has been accepted to the BS/MD program. Soo... uhh... Anybody out there? I'd really like to talk to someone! Bye 🙂
 
nza24 said:
Hi, everyone!

I'm a high school senior so I guess I don't fit in with most of the people here, but I was accepted Early Action to the NEOUCOM combined BS/MD program a couple of weeks ago. I had four nerve-wracking interviews. It was very scary to say the least... I had never even interviewed for anything before.

I've been looking through countless forum posts since I discovered the site to see if I could find any reviews on NEOUCOM. I was really happy to find this thread! I was a little discouraged when I read that NEOUCOM isn't such a great school from some of you guys because I've been blindingly set on this school since the middle of my junior year. But it might change since they're re-vamping their curriculum, so I'm not too worried. I didn't apply to anything other than this school... I didn't even consider other colleges (neon sign in the back of my head saying BIG MISTAKE throughout the whole process), so I guess I'm really really lucky to have been accepted 😳 I hope I handle going through this accelerated program withough going crazy, but I'm going to make the best of it no matter what happens.

Anyway, I know that this doesen't relate to anything you guys are going through (best of luck to all of you, by the way, and congrats to the accepted), but I haven't been able to find anybody that has been accepted to the BS/MD program. Soo... uhh... Anybody out there? I'd really like to talk to someone! Bye 🙂

I think 'Drguy 22' was accepted to BS/MD program too. Congratulations on your acceptence. 👍
 
TripleDegree said:
I was just reading the "Accepted but Rejected due to Credit" thread. Any idea if any of the Ohio schools do this?

doing a credit check is pretty standard from what I understand. Schools try to find students who they think would "succeed" at there program. If you aren't able to pay for it (i.e., not get the necessary loans because of your poor credit), then you probably won't successfully complete the program.

It's unfortunate for those otherwise accepted applicants that their credit history keeps them out, but it's a fact of life. Most medical schools do a credit check, so I wouldn't be surprised if the ones here (Ohio) do one as well.

TripleDegree, btw, how is your process going? Any new news?

Jason
 
Jason110 said:
doing a credit check is pretty standard from what I understand. Schools try to find students who they think would "succeed" at there program. If you aren't able to pay for it (i.e., not get the necessary loans because of your poor credit), then you probably won't successfully complete the program.

It's unfortunate for those otherwise accepted applicants that their credit history keeps them out, but it's a fact of life. Most medical schools do a credit check, so I wouldn't be surprised if the ones here (Ohio) do one as well.

TripleDegree, btw, how is your process going? Any new news?

Jason

Jason - I'm not expecting any more news, gotten into my top choice OSU, and not waiting for any more interviews or accepts/rejects.

How about you? have you made up your mind where you're gonna go?

On another note, perhaps its time to rejuvenate the OSU Class of 2009 thread 🙂
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Ohio State = best medical school ever for Ohio taxpayers.
 
Llenroc said:
for Ohio taxpayers.[/SIZE]

Its true, OSU is great, especially for Ohio Residents. But really its pretty great for out of state people too. With the out of state tuition decrease, OSU should only cost a total of about ten thousand dollars more for the 4 years than for in state. 10 grand is a lot of money, but is pretty small in the scheme of things.
 
uclabruin2003 said:
case and cclcm arent shoddy places either ;-)

Unless you have to pay for them. Actually, CCLCM is fairly cheep because (if you can show need) they give everybody something close to 30,000 in free money (as I recall). But if you don't show need (or even if you do at Case) the prices, in my opinion, really dings them in terms of "value". The budget at Case this year was something like $52,000. Quite frankly, that's obscene. Something has to be done about it.

Judd
 
i guess i havent been all that surprised when looking at a budget of 52,000 a year. i currently go to NYU and the budget is set at about 45,000-50,000 (thats grad school). i figure that med school should be a step up in price, etc. most schools like NYMC, Drexel, Finch, GW....are all about 50 something a year too. Many DO schools are 50something a year as well. I guess its all relative...whats a couple thousand here or there after spending 50k a year?
 
uclabruin2003 said:
i guess i havent been all that surprised when looking at a budget of 52,000 a year. i currently go to NYU and the budget is set at about 45,000-50,000 (thats grad school). i figure that med school should be a step up in price, etc. most schools like NYMC, Drexel, Finch, GW....are all about 50 something a year too. Many DO schools are 50something a year as well. I guess its all relative...whats a couple thousand here or there after spending 50k a year?


agreed. While 52K seems a lot for some, for me its inevitable. I am a DC resident, so I have NO state schools, so no matter where I end up, my annual expenditures will be 45-55K a year. sux, but not all of us live in a state or have a state school!
 
hey guys,

I hope everyone is having a fantastic new year. I have an interview at OSU coming up and I would like to know what people thought of the school. I will definitely attend this interview (I also have a Cincy acceptance), but I don't know what to expect. Is the interview day long? Did your interviewers ask any difficult questions? What are your thoughts on the curriculum and the facilities? Any help is appreciated.

Oh yeah, one other thing... Since I'm interviewing in January... is this too late? Will I be interviewing for a spot on the waitlist or for an actual acceptance? Any info is greatly appreciated...

I hope this New Year is filled with good news and multiple acceptances for everyone.

Jason

PS -- I saved this thread from the fourth page demons. :scared:
 
The OSU interview day is not terribly long. Mine ended at 2:45 (but I was at an early interview time slot). I did not get asked any really difficult questions. I did get one ethical question, but I was prepared for it. Good luck! I loved the school. 🙂
 
Jason110 said:
hey guys,

I hope everyone is having a fantastic new year. I have an interview at OSU coming up and I would like to know what people thought of the school. I will definitely attend this interview (I also have a Cincy acceptance), but I don't know what to expect. Is the interview day long? Did your interviewers ask any difficult questions? What are your thoughts on the curriculum and the facilities? Any help is appreciated.

Oh yeah, one other thing... Since I'm interviewing in January... is this too late? Will I be interviewing for a spot on the waitlist or for an actual acceptance? Any info is greatly appreciated...

I hope this New Year is filled with good news and multiple acceptances for everyone.

Jason

PS -- I saved this thread from the fourth page demons. :scared:
hey jason,

osu's interview is run quite well. i got out closer to 3:30-4:00; but i had like the last interview. i got stem cell research questions, too. still, it wasn't anything to be worried about. cirriculum is ok, facilities are mostly new and very nice.

and about interviewing for an acceptance or a waitlist spot...dunno, someone at your interview day would probably tell you, though.

good luck and enjoy. :luck: :luck:

sd
 
Hey guys,

I was wondering - for those of you who received an interview invite from cclcm AND case, did you receive one from case simultaneously or did you have to call to find out after you were invited by cleveland clinic? I called to schedule my cclcm interview today and the woman told me I should first call Case to see if I will be invited to interview for the university program as well. When I called, the woman at Case looked for my file and then, when she came back, she said that she would be able to call me on Friday to let me know. I get the feeling that I won't get the interview at Case, but I am just wondering if anyone else was in a similar situation.

thanks 👍
 
that happened to me too ...i mean i called cclcm for an interview...and then i had to call case to see if they knew what happened to me.
 
medstylee said:
Hey guys,

I was wondering - for those of you who received an interview invite from cclcm AND case, did you receive one from case simultaneously or did you have to call to find out after you were invited by cleveland clinic? I called to schedule my cclcm interview today and the woman told me I should first call Case to see if I will be invited to interview for the university program as well. When I called, the woman at Case looked for my file and then, when she came back, she said that she would be able to call me on Friday to let me know. I get the feeling that I won't get the interview at Case, but I am just wondering if anyone else was in a similar situation.

thanks 👍



I got my invites at Case and CCLM in the same letter. I am going to Cleveland next week for interviews, and I am very excited about these. Anyone have any advice/information regarding these interviews?
 
just got back from my case interview.........it went well i felt, the ppl there were really cool and we had time to hang out, the only bad part was getting yelled by a MSII during class i was whispering to the sitting beside me. whoops! but i felt the interview was rushed and that i had to keep on adding stuff and talking incessantly to drag it out a bit longer.......short interviews scare me! :scared:

but overall it was good, really impressed with the dean heneghan and the electives and dean horwitz, really cool faculty and admissions.

good luck everyone! :luck:
 
Bump... Rescuing from the depths of the Pre-Allo threads.

Hope all is going well with everyone. 👍
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
SaltySqueegee said:
Bump... Rescuing from the depths of the Pre-Allo threads.

Hope all is going well with everyone. 👍


Yeah - this thread has kind of been pushed aside by the individual school threads!! I wondered if it was still allive!
 
AmyBEMT said:
Yeah - this thread has kind of been pushed aside by the individual school threads!! I wondered if it was still allive!
Hi there Amy,

BGS? How are you enjoying your schooling? All going well for you? When do expect to apply/matriculate/etc.?

Regards,

-Salty 🙂
 
SaltySqueegee said:
BGS? How are you enjoying your schooling? All going well for you? When do expect to apply/matriculate/etc.

Yep - did my undergrad and Masters at BG. Took my pre-med classes as a postbacc at OSU and Capital. I am currently done with classes until August. I took the MCAT last August and applied this year. I have been invited to interview at all five schools I applied to, have been accepted so far to UC and NEOUCOM. Waiting to hear from WSU and MCO, have an interview at OSU next month.

Amy
 
AmyBEMT said:
Yep - did my undergrad and Masters at BG. Took my pre-med classes as a postbacc at OSU and Capital. I am currently done with classes until August. I took the MCAT last August and applied this year. I have been invited to interview at all five schools I applied to, have been accepted so far to UC and NEOUCOM. Waiting to hear from WSU and MCO, have an interview at OSU next month.

Amy
Where do you think you will want to go?
 
SaltySqueegee said:
Where do you think you will want to go?

Salty -

I'm not sure where I want to go. I'm kind of holding off on thinking too much about it until all of my decisions are in. OSU is the best choice for family life (I'm married and my husband doesn't want to change jobs). NEOUCOM would still be commutable, but I don't know that I want to spend 2 hours a day commuting. UC has a great rep, especially in the field that I want to specialize in. Wright State really impressed me when I interviewed there, and so did MCO.

If I get accepted at OSU, my decision is easy. If I get waitlisted there, the decision becomes much tougher.
 
t33sg1rl said:
If anybody really wants to go to Case, there are some guaranteed ways to be accepted, so nobody's dreams will be crushed.

it sounds like you have something there. care to share? 😍
 
funshine said:
it sounds like you have something there. care to share? 😍

I've heard of a Masters of Anatomy program at Case that gives a good shot at acceptance into the med school... assuming you do well.

Has anyone gotten feedback from Ohio interviews in the last couple of months? Specifically Cincinnati and MCO?
 
I just wanted to ask your opinion...

I'm a Ohio resident and have recieved interview invites from Cincy, OSU and CCLCM. I'm just wondering why I haven't heard from MCO and Wright? My app was complete at the end of October...so are these two school just slow or are they just not interested?

Art Vandalay...I haven't heard from Cincy since they put me on hold in early December...
 
nina512 said:
I just wanted to ask your opinion...

I'm a Ohio resident and have recieved interview invites from Cincy, OSU and CCLCM. I'm just wondering why I haven't heard from MCO and Wright? My app was complete at the end of October...so are these two school just slow or are they just not interested?

Art Vandalay...I haven't heard from Cincy since they put me on hold in early December...

MCO and Wright are both a little slow - but I was complete end of October and have interviewed at both. I am waiting to hear back post-interview from both of them.

As far as MCO interview feedback, when I interviewed on 12/13, they said that their next meeting would be considering people who interviewed before break and that our files probably wouldn't be up for consideration until the first week or two of Feb. So - if you interviewed pre-break, you should hear back soon. I've heard anywhere from 4 - 6 weeks.

I interviewed before break at Wright and still haven't heard. I called last Thursday and was told I should receive a letter in the next week.

For me, the slowest one to hear back from was OSU. I was complete there in early November and just got an interview invite the other day.
 
AmyBEMT said:
MCO and Wright are both a little slow - but I was complete end of October and have interviewed at both. I am waiting to hear back post-interview from both of them.

I think Wright State is being careful this year since last year they ended up taking too many students too early. There were 96 students in the entering class and they were shooting for 90. I understand that no one was admitted off the waitlist last year. I think this year they will admit fewer people off the bat, waitlist more students and take a couple students off the waitlist. The last sentence is just my .02, I'm not sure what they will actually do.
 
Thanks for the info...

I was thinking too that they were trying to be careful about overbooking their class too early...Hopefully I'll still get an invite to at least one either MCO or Wright.
 
nina512 said:
I just wanted to ask your opinion...

I'm a Ohio resident and have recieved interview invites from Cincy, OSU and CCLCM. I'm just wondering why I haven't heard from MCO and Wright? My app was complete at the end of October...so are these two school just slow or are they just not interested?

Art Vandalay...I haven't heard from Cincy since they put me on hold in early December...


Nina

Not sure about MCO since I didn't apply there.

With Wright State, my guess is that their rate of interviews/acceptances drops off as we get later into the application period. However my guess is that you should see a spurt in May as folks are forced to make up their mind.

I didn't think that Wright was particularly slow - in fact they turned around my application and sent me an invite in less than 2 weeks. But of course, this was in June/July and I must have been one of the first applicants.

All the best, I hope you get into WSU its a great school. Also btw, did you happen to take your MCAT there? I knew a Nina who did.
 
i received an invite from CCLCM this morning (final ref letter just arrived about a week and a half ago), so they are still looking at people. I am an in-state non-traditional applicant
 
TripleDegree said:
Also btw, did you happen to take your MCAT there? I knew a Nina who did.


Nope that wasn't me...I'm a Clevelander...

Although I've been offered 3 interviews, I feel that since they are at competitive schools I might not get in.

I'm pretty heavy into research, so maybe that isn't so appealing to MCO or Wright. However, I'm a non-trad which I thought Wright was non-trad friendly. Ohhhhh, I don't know...

Does anyone know how late MCO interviews? Thru April?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
teh-t said:
i received an invite from CCLCM this morning (final ref letter just arrived about a week and a half ago), so they are still looking at people. I am an in-state non-traditional applicant
i remember hearing that february is the last moneth for interviews...so good luck!
 
uclabruin2003 said:
i remember hearing that february is the last moneth for interviews...so good luck!

thank you very much.

you are correct Feb is the last month. They still have some slots open to interview.

I was also invited to U of Cinn for an interview today.