Ohio State c/o 2017 Applicants!

Started by wildcatj
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Just out of curiosity...does anyone know how many people Ohio State interviews on interview days this year?
We had about 50-60 people on my interview day in December. They told us they are interviewing around 400 total.
 
We had about 50-60 people on my interview day in December. They told us they are interviewing around 400 total.

Wow! Wasn't expecting that many interviews! Thanks for the info...just wondering what to expect for my interview at the end of the month :scared:
 
Wow! Wasn't expecting that many interviews! Thanks for the info...just wondering what to expect for my interview at the end of the month :scared:
Honestly, I am the queen of freaking out/ being nervous. It was so unnecessary for me to FREAK out for this interview. They were so nice and it was extremely easy. Dont worry about studying the SDN questions, just know your own application and know some current events in vet med. Don't overprep, you dont want to sound like you rehearsed it!
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I am dying for an interview at Ohio State. I'm trying to stay positive, but Friday is right around the corner, and I haven't heard anything yet. OSU seems awfully quiet this week for it being their last week of invites (unless they only had a few to send out) 🙁
 
I am dying for an interview at Ohio State. I'm trying to stay positive, but Friday is right around the corner, and I haven't heard anything yet. OSU seems awfully quiet this week for it being their last week of invites (unless they only had a few to send out) 🙁

I feel your pain 🙁 I really thought I would get one this year as well because I had an interview last year and my GPA went up since then, I had more hours at the vet clinic I shadowed at, and I had some research hours to add to my application. I guess with the flood of more applicants this year, the pool has changed a lot and everything extra I did was just not enough this time. I don't like to think its over until I get a rejection, but I'm not super hopeful for OSU right now.
 
Hi!! New to SDN here!!

Just wanted to say that OSU is still sending out interviews, my name is at the end of the alphabet and I was just contacted about an interview today!!!!😀
If anyone has any helpful tips or suggestions, I'd love to hear!!
Thanks 😀
 
Hi!! New to SDN here!!

Just wanted to say that OSU is still sending out interviews, my name is at the end of the alphabet and I was just contacted about an interview today!!!!😀
If anyone has any helpful tips or suggestions, I'd love to hear!!
Thanks 😀

I just got one today also! I'm not sure what their basis is for interview selection, but my first and last names are in the middle of the alphabet, so if your name starts with an A or Z...don't worry! I don't think they're going through the alphabet and I know there are a few interview time slots still available, so I imagine they'll still be sending invites out tomorrow.
 
I just got one today also! I'm not sure what their basis is for interview selection, but my first and last names are in the middle of the alphabet, so if your name starts with an A or Z...don't worry! I don't think they're going through the alphabet and I know there are a few interview time slots still available, so I imagine they'll still be sending invites out tomorrow.

Congrats to you!!👍👍
 
For those schools that give us options on which days to interview, is it beneficial to interview earlier? I signed up for the last day of interviews at OSU, but now I'm rethinking that choice...?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Has anyone had to change their interview day after picking it and had success doing so? I know some schools can be a bit funny about you trying to change your day. I went ahead and picked mine before I found out my interview date for Minnesota because the day I thought I was going to need was almost full and I didn't want to miss out on it, but turns out Minnesota didn't give me my first choice and scheduled me on the same day as I picked for Ohio, and I really want to go to both interviews! 🙁
 
Has anyone had to change their interview day after picking it and had success doing so? I know some schools can be a bit funny about you trying to change your day. I went ahead and picked mine before I found out my interview date for Minnesota because the day I thought I was going to need was almost full and I didn't want to miss out on it, but turns out Minnesota didn't give me my first choice and scheduled me on the same day as I picked for Ohio, and I really want to go to both interviews! 🙁

Yes, you can def change your time as long as the time you want is still available. They had no problems with it when I did. I had to do it for the same reason because Minnesota took FOREVER to get back to us about dates! hahah

Minn - 2/2 weekend
OSU - 2/8 weekend
 
Yes, you can def change your time as long as the time you want is still available. They had no problems with it when I did. I had to do it for the same reason because Minnesota took FOREVER to get back to us about dates! hahah

Did you call or email? I did send an email this afternoon because I thought this might be something better done in writing, but sometimes they don't let you do stuff like that over email!
 
I called! It took one minute and they seemed like they were used to people switching dates. 🙂

Sent from my SPH-L710 using SDN Mobile
 
For those schools that give us options on which days to interview, is it beneficial to interview earlier? I signed up for the last day of interviews at OSU, but now I'm rethinking that choice...?

I got an invite in November, but couldn't do the first dates because of ISU interview already scheduled for the first weekend and then had work/exams that I couldn't finagle around to get to the next three days in mid-December so I'm interviewing this weekend. Hopefully it doesn't make a huge difference... My thinking is that if they want me, they want me and if they don't, they don't. I know they accept some students early and rolling, but it really doesn't seem to me to be a large part of the class.
 
So I have the word, "decision" under my status on the application status page.....anybody know what this means?
 
So I have the word, "decision" under my status on the application status page.....anybody know what this means?
Hopefully something good!! How long did you interview? Its my bday tomorrow so I would LOVE an acceptance call today 😉 😉
 
So I have the word, "decision" under my status on the application status page.....anybody know what this means?

If you click "show more information on status" button (the green bar button) it shows more information. hope that helps!
 
"Decision" for me isn't good news.

At least now I can finish my Master's in peace and prepare myself for applying outside of Ohio in the next cycle.

Oh well, the smartest, most capable vet student I've ever met had to apply three times to OSU and had two advanced degrees by the time they realized what an awesome hard-working student she is.
 
Have any non-Ohio residents gotten replies? My application is still "in review."
Im OOS from Florida. They told us at my interview in Dec that most of the applicants would be told their decisions in February... Only a handful of people would be notified earlier.
 
Did you have a decision posted?

I was told that today was the last day for interview invites... My status still says "in review" and I have not received an e-mail... Has anyone heard anything at all?
:xf:

"Decision" for me isn't good news.

At least now I can finish my Master's in peace and prepare myself for applying outside of Ohio in the next cycle.

Oh well, the smartest, most capable vet student I've ever met had to apply three times to OSU and had two advanced degrees by the time they realized what an awesome hard-working student she is.
 
Yes. My status change says "Decision" and it gives a statement under more information that essentially is a rejection.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Ditto! No news means we are still in the running right?

I don't know... 🙁 I talked to the office yesterday and they said the remaining interview offers were all going out yesterday. I'm trying not to let myself be too broken-hearted until I get an actual rejection... 🙁
 
I'm an OOS student and interviewed on 12/1. I was notified of my acceptance by phone the following Tuesday and by mail in a letter sent out 1/1.
 
Interviewed today and was really impressed with how friendly and welcoming the current students are! Definitely the nicest of the five schools I've seen so far. I'm anxious for February to get here now!
 
My status still said "In review" so I called them this morning. I was told all the interview invites have gone out and that I am wait-listed for an interview. Still praying!!!
 
My status still said "In review" so I called them this morning. I was told all the interview invites have gone out and that I am wait-listed for an interview. Still praying!!!

Thank you!! I will try calling tomorrow and hopefully get some info...
 
Thank you!! I will try calling tomorrow and hopefully get some info...

Did you happen to call them today by any chance? I'm in the same situation (my status still says "in review") and I've been meaning to call, but work has been crazy the past few days and I haven't had the chance..
 
Did you happen to call them today by any chance? I'm in the same situation (my status still says "in review") and I've been meaning to call, but work has been crazy the past few days and I haven't had the chance..

I did... and I found out that I got rejected. But hours later I found out that I got an interview at Tufts! 👍😍

Good luck!! :luck:
 
FOr the past three days, I have been recanting my interview last saturday and very dissapointed on my performance. I know its useless and beating myself over spilled milk is simply torture. I guess after getting the info session and knowing about in state residency conversion made me want this school more than ever making me really critical about my lackluster performance. Hardest interview to date for me..nothing hypothetical..all were facts and in depth questioning...sigh....:scared:
 
FOr the past three days, I have been recanting my interview last saturday and very dissapointed on my performance. I know its useless and beating myself over spilled milk is simply torture. I guess after getting the info session and knowing about in state residency conversion made me want this school more than ever making me really critical about my lackluster performance. Hardest interview to date for me..nothing hypothetical..all were facts and in depth questioning...sigh....:scared:

hmmm...like science questions? i didn't have any of those in mine, there were one or two general questions (introduce yourself, career goals, etc, and the rest were follow ups and general discussion that flowed from that. i guess its really luck of the draw!


but i think that a lot of time we can think we give really horrible answers and actually it went quite well. i know that the vet student at my table at the dinner was talking about how he completely blanked on one interview question, thought he completely bumbled it, and got a call with an acceptance the next week (and was told they loved his answer and thought it showed a lot of positive character traits). so don't give up hope!
 
FOr the past three days, I have been recanting my interview last saturday and very dissapointed on my performance. I know its useless and beating myself over spilled milk is simply torture. I guess after getting the info session and knowing about in state residency conversion made me want this school more than ever making me really critical about my lackluster performance. Hardest interview to date for me..nothing hypothetical..all were facts and in depth questioning...sigh....:scared:

I'm definitely feeling the exact same way. After my interview I thought it didn't go THAT bad. But I've had a month to think about it (mine was 12/19) and I'm freaking out about every answer I gave. My interview was slightly similar to yours...they wanted some facts about various infectious diseases..and I definitely messed up one of them...and the one hypothetical question was if I was a vet and killed one of the interviewer's cats accidentally what would I say. I was COMPLETELY thrown off haha. I loved the school though and it's currently my #1 so I'm hoping I didn't mess it up too bad, but this wait is driving me crazy!
 
FOr the past three days, I have been recanting my interview last saturday and very dissapointed on my performance. I know its useless and beating myself over spilled milk is simply torture. I guess after getting the info session and knowing about in state residency conversion made me want this school more than ever making me really critical about my lackluster performance. Hardest interview to date for me..nothing hypothetical..all were facts and in depth questioning...sigh....:scared:

I'm definitely feeling the exact same way. After my interview I thought it didn't go THAT bad. But I've had a month to think about it (mine was 12/19) and I'm freaking out about every answer I gave. My interview was slightly similar to yours...they wanted some facts about various infectious diseases..and I definitely messed up one of them...and the one hypothetical question was if I was a vet and killed one of the interviewer's cats accidentally what would I say. I was COMPLETELY thrown off haha. I loved the school though and it's currently my #1 so I'm hoping I didn't mess it up too bad, but this wait is driving me crazy!

You guys aren't alone! Mine was 12/18 and I keep reliving my interview over and over again...hoping I didn't mess up my chances since OSU is also my #1 right now! I'm also glad I wasn't the only one with some specific questions. I was starting to feel like everyone else just had general open-ended questions!
 
I wouldn't be too concerned, guys. I thought I bombed my interview and was accepted outright! Luck!!!
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Anybody know what the application status says when you are accepted?? Does it only say "decision" when you are rejected? Or just when a final decision about your app has been made, regardless of whether you are accepted or rejected??
 
Anybody know what the application status says when you are accepted?? Does it only say "decision" when you are rejected? Or just when a final decision about your app has been made, regardless of whether you are accepted or rejected??

It says decision for both (assuming that a decision has been made). You have to click through to find out which.
 
I've never been in a vet school interview, but for Ohio State at least, I've been to multiple "mock interviews" that the vet school faculty gives to students.

What I have gleaned is that they don't always care that you answer questions completely "right," they (or at least one of the perennial interviewers) want people they can talk to easily - people who are polite, polished, and appear confident.

Seriously, I've heard stories of people missing really important questions and still getting in, like some guy didn't know what BSE is.... which to me would be very unforgivable, considering the huge impact that disease has had on public health, food safety, food processing laws, etc. (I'm also a public health person so I clearly have a bias).