Ohio State c/o 2021 Applicants

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mmmdreamerz

c/o 2021
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Okay fine. I never thought I'd be this person, but I'm super excited so I'm starting this thread...

Totally in love with this school.:)

Members don't see this ad.

There's several 2020ers on here, myself included, and other years. If you have any questions about applying, I'm sure any of us would be willing to answer them!

Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
OOS, will be my second cycle applying :)

I saw this thread pop up and was all like, holy potato, already? Then I realized... yes, it is indeed that time of year again.

Best of luck, 2021-ers! :luck::xf:

Reactions: 2 users
OOS, first time! Anyone pretty familiar with their curriculum? :)

By the time the class of 2021 starts class, I'll be a veterinarian! Crazy how time flies.

Current 4th year (this may be the first time I've said that). Let me know if you have any questions! May not be too familiar with application-specific questions since it's been a few years now and things have changed.

Reactions: 1 users
OOS, 1st time applicant! Visited like 2 years ago and I fell in love!

OOS, 1st time applicant!

OOS, first time applicant! For any 2020ers, do you mind if I ask for your stats?

OOS, first time applicant! For any 2020ers, do you mind if I ask for your stats?

Not sure if my stats will help much, but here they are! X-post from "Successful Applicant Stats - Class of 2020" thread. Might be easiest to look there (or even at other years) for other peoples' stats too, for any schools you're interested in attending.

27 yr old female, KY resident, 1st time applicant

Applied
: Ohio State, Michigan State, Auburn (IS), Penn, VA-MD, NCSU
Rejected: VA-MD, NCSU
Waitlisted: Penn
Accepted: Ohio State, Michigan State, Auburn
Attending: Ohio State!!!!! :soexcited:

Degrees: BA, Biochemistry (2010); PhD, Pharmacology (2015)

Overall GPA
: 3.65 (includes both degrees; 3.64 undergrad, 3.67 grad)
Science GPA: 3.61
Last 45 credits: probably around 3.65

GRE (Q/V/W): 155 (60%), 160 (84%), 5.0 (93%)

Veterinary Experience:
200 hrs working with a veterinary pathologist
50 hrs shadowing small animal/exotics vet (updated school with 50 additional hrs in Dec)

Research Experience:
~11,000 hrs PhD dissertation research - endocrine disrupting effects of bisphenol A on the mouse uterus related to fibrosis and immune alterations, secondary project examining effects of arsenic/bisphenol A mixture on glucose tolerance and cardiovascular system
400 hrs computational biology project
400 hrs effects of anti-estrogen treatment on medulloblastoma growth in xenograft mouse model
440 hrs characterization of dopamine receptor subtypes in differentiated 3T3-L1 adipocytes
650 hrs solar cell dependency on altitude and temperature, basically launched weather balloons with expensive equipment attached and chased them

Animal Experience:
400 hrs pet sitting
90 hrs high school advanced biology project examining the effect of different types of music on the respiratory rate of frogs

Non-Animal Employment:
Didn't list any because every job I've had was a research position

Extracurriculars / Etc:
Prestigious graduate fellowship awarded to 5-10 graduate students per year
3 first author publications, 1 other publication
Student travel award to attend Society of Toxicology national meeting
Student member - Society of Toxicology, The Endocrine Society, Society of Toxicologic Pathology
Graduated undergrad cum laude
Member, then secretary, then president of college's ultimate frisbee team
Member, Alpha Phi Omega national service fraternity
Science Research Fellows honors program (undergrad)
Phi Lambda Upsilon Chemistry Honor Society
Phi Alpha Theta History Honor Society
Dean's List, 5 semesters (undergrad)
High school valedictorian
National Honor Society
Volunteer with high school youth group that went to Louisiana to clean up after Hurricane Katrina

LORs:
PI/advisor for PhD dissertation
Veterinary pathologist
Veterinarian I shadowed at SA/exotics clinic

Personal Statement:
I opened with how I was on a career path to an industry job after my PhD. However, I took a Drug Toxicology course and was enthralled by the anatomic pathology lecture. I then talked about how I had worked with a vet pathologist for my research and explained my research in general. I then talked about my shadowing experience in a clinic (what I saw, characteristics of a good vet). I talked about how my PhD and leadership positions will help me in vet school. I finished with how I haven't come to my decision to pursue veterinary pathology lightly and that it's what I really want for a career.

Not sure if my stats will help much, but here they are! X-post from "Successful Applicant Stats - Class of 2020" thread. Might be easiest to look there (or even at other years) for other peoples' stats too, for any schools you're interested in attending.

27 yr old female, KY resident, 1st time applicant

Applied
: Ohio State, Michigan State, Auburn (IS), Penn, VA-MD, NCSU
Rejected: VA-MD, NCSU
Waitlisted: Penn
Accepted: Ohio State, Michigan State, Auburn
Attending: Ohio State!!!!! :soexcited:

Degrees: BA, Biochemistry (2010); PhD, Pharmacology (2015)

Overall GPA
: 3.65 (includes both degrees; 3.64 undergrad, 3.67 grad)
Science GPA: 3.61
Last 45 credits: probably around 3.65

GRE (Q/V/W): 155 (60%), 160 (84%), 5.0 (93%)

Veterinary Experience:
200 hrs working with a veterinary pathologist
50 hrs shadowing small animal/exotics vet (updated school with 50 additional hrs in Dec)

Research Experience:
~11,000 hrs PhD dissertation research - endocrine disrupting effects of bisphenol A on the mouse uterus related to fibrosis and immune alterations, secondary project examining effects of arsenic/bisphenol A mixture on glucose tolerance and cardiovascular system
400 hrs computational biology project
400 hrs effects of anti-estrogen treatment on medulloblastoma growth in xenograft mouse model
440 hrs characterization of dopamine receptor subtypes in differentiated 3T3-L1 adipocytes
650 hrs solar cell dependency on altitude and temperature, basically launched weather balloons with expensive equipment attached and chased them

Animal Experience:
400 hrs pet sitting
90 hrs high school advanced biology project examining the effect of different types of music on the respiratory rate of frogs

Non-Animal Employment:
Didn't list any because every job I've had was a research position

Extracurriculars / Etc:
Prestigious graduate fellowship awarded to 5-10 graduate students per year
3 first author publications, 1 other publication
Student travel award to attend Society of Toxicology national meeting
Student member - Society of Toxicology, The Endocrine Society, Society of Toxicologic Pathology
Graduated undergrad cum laude
Member, then secretary, then president of college's ultimate frisbee team
Member, Alpha Phi Omega national service fraternity
Science Research Fellows honors program (undergrad)
Phi Lambda Upsilon Chemistry Honor Society
Phi Alpha Theta History Honor Society
Dean's List, 5 semesters (undergrad)
High school valedictorian
National Honor Society
Volunteer with high school youth group that went to Louisiana to clean up after Hurricane Katrina

LORs:
PI/advisor for PhD dissertation
Veterinary pathologist
Veterinarian I shadowed at SA/exotics clinic

Personal Statement:
I opened with how I was on a career path to an industry job after my PhD. However, I took a Drug Toxicology course and was enthralled by the anatomic pathology lecture. I then talked about how I had worked with a vet pathologist for my research and explained my research in general. I then talked about my shadowing experience in a clinic (what I saw, characteristics of a good vet). I talked about how my PhD and leadership positions will help me in vet school. I finished with how I haven't come to my decision to pursue veterinary pathology lightly and that it's what I really want for a career.

Wow, that's a pretty extensive resume that you've got on you! I always wondered though, do you think that your PhD aided your admission into vet school?

Wow, that's a pretty extensive resume that you've got on you! I always wondered though, do you think that your PhD aided your admission into vet school?

There's nothing that really gives you a leg up in admissions. It's more what you do with it. If you get a grad degree but don't do well, it will hurt and not help you.

Members don't see this ad :)
I agree with rockatiel that it didn't necessarily give me a leg up. It was more that I was successful in it and had shown that I can handle the rigors of a professional program. I was also able to show through it that my interest is in pathology. However, I also made sure to get clinic experience. While my application wasn't as well-rounded as most others vet experience wise, I made sure to play up my strengths in my personal statement and chose my LORs wisely.

I agree with rockatiel that it didn't necessarily give me a leg up. It was more that I was successful in it and had shown that I can handle the rigors of a professional program. I was also able to show through it that my interest is in pathology. However, I also made sure to get clinic experience. While my application wasn't as well-rounded as most others vet experience wise, I made sure to play up my strengths in my personal statement and chose my LORs wisely.
That makes sense. You have done quite a bit of schooling though - did you manage to pay all of this with scholarships, loans, etc? How do you plan to pay for veterinary school as well? I'm asking because I'm considering a masters if I'm not accepted after my first two cycles, but money is an issue for me.

That makes sense. You have done quite a bit of schooling though - did you manage to pay all of this with scholarships, loans, etc? How do you plan to pay for veterinary school as well? I'm asking because I'm considering a masters if I'm not accepted after my first two cycles, but money is an issue for me.
PhD programs are almost always set up where tuition is paid for and you get a stipend from either your department or your PI, so I have no debt from that degree. I was also fortunate enough to have minimal debt from undergrad. Unfortunately though, I will be relying on loans for vet school. From the masters students I know, they either paid out of pocket or with loans.

Reactions: 1 user
Wow, can't believe this thread has already been made! Good luck to all of you applying! Just remember to take lots of deep breaths, haha. Feel free to ask me any questions!

Cross-post from Successful Applicants thread.
Hi everyone! I'm a 21 yr old female OH resident, 1st time applicant.

Something unique about my application: I went to a community college for two years and then transferred to a 4 year (yay for saving money!)

Applied: Ohio State, Washington, Florida
Interview Invites: Ohio State, Florida (declined)
Interviewed: Ohio State
Accepted: Ohio State
Attending: Ohio State! :soexcited:

Overall GPA: 3.86
Science GPA: 3.83
Last 45 credits: Somewhere between 3.8 - 4.0 :shrug:

GRE (Q/V/W): 154 (56%) /158 (79%)/4.0 (56%)

Veterinary Experience:
LA Shadowing: 48
SA Veterinary Assistant: 435
Kennel Tech/ Tech Assistant at small animal hospital: 456
SA Shadowing: 300

Research Experience:
None!

Animal Experience:
Humane Society Volunteer: 320
Aviary Volunteer: 220
Wildlife Center Volunteer: 220

Non-Animal Employment:
"Student Professor" for children's science program: 115
Recreational Gymnastics Coach: 600

Extracurriculars / Etc:
High School Gymnastics (senior captain): 306
Undergraduate Teaching Assistant: 56

Awards:
STEM Scholarship

LORs:
Comparative Vertebrate Anatomy Professor
Vet from SA hospital I was an assistant at
Vet from SA hospital I was a kennel tech/ assistant at

Personal Statement:
I wrote about how I had a lot of interests growing up and I had hesitations about committing to veterinary medicine. They I mentioned that, as I gained veterinary experience, I realized how encompassing veterinary medicine is. I found that my love of art, my passion for teaching, and my interest in science are all important factors to be a well-rounded vet. A little cheesy, but I promise it sounded better in the actual essay, haha!

I'm thinking of applying to Ohio. Does anyone know how they evaluate their applicants? Do they do a holistic review of each and every application given that the GPA is above 3.0, or do they look at it in phases (i.e. only look at GPA/GRE and select the top people, then look at the whole application at that point)?

Hey all! I intend to apply to OSU this cycle as well. I will be emailing the admissions office tomorrow but for the time being- does anyone know for certain...
1. If you retake a course do they factor in both grades or just the highest?
2. For your overall GPA, are they just looking at your undergrad institution or if you are a post-bacc student do they look at all your grades to calculate the "overall GPA"?

Hey all! I intend to apply to OSU this cycle as well. I will be emailing the admissions office tomorrow but for the time being- does anyone know for certain...
1. If you retake a course do they factor in both grades or just the highest?
2. For your overall GPA, are they just looking at your undergrad institution or if you are a post-bacc student do they look at all your grades to calculate the "overall GPA"?

1. They advertise that they do grade replacements (always check year to year though, these things can change obviously).
2. They look at cumulative GPA (all college courses attempted).

Some other things about their process:
If you've taken the GRE multiple times in the last five years, they also take the highest score in each section. They also look at last 30 semester hours GPA as well as your "capstone grade" (biochem, microbio, animal phys, speech).

I've applied the last four cycles and in my opinion, they are trying to be more "holistic" and put value into non-academic measures so they can increase class diversity. Unfortunately, the biggest predictor of acceptance is still undergrad GPA and science GPA (thankfully they've done away with their pre-req science GPA in favor of a cumulative science GPA).

Class of 2019 here! Represent!

I'm a lifelong Ohio resident, so if you have questions about the state or things to do or why so many astronauts are from here, ask :) I will probably be hanging out at some of the admissions dinners in January, too (I love talking about school and free food and making people less nervous).

Good luck c/0 2021 OSUCVM hopefuls!!! If you have any questions, feel free to PM me since I just went through this process last year.

Reactions: 1 users
I was just looking at their pre-reqs, and realized that it says that they want 5-10 semester hours of physiology. The physiology class I was planning on taking was only 4 credits. Do you guys know how strict they are regarding this?

I was just looking at their pre-reqs, and realized that it says that they want 5-10 semester hours of physiology. The physiology class I was planning on taking was only 4 credits. Do you guys know how strict they are regarding this?

You just have to call them about it. My physiology class is also only 4 credits but when I sent them the syllabus and everything else they approved it. Don't freak out, just call and make sure.

My physiology class was three credits (I didn't take the lab component) and it covered everything but repro. So I took reproductive physiology last semester and sent them both syllabuses. They approved me for that...

Egads! Good luck everyone! Just realized that I am now an alumnus. Feel free to ask me any questions you have about the school--I loved it!

Reactions: 2 users

It has to be a comprehensive physiology course. The credits don't matter as much as the content which the school will evaluate through the syllabus.

Question regarding pre-reqs. I have recently decided to add OSU to my application this year due to their awesome orthopedics department (my interest) so I am a little bit behind as Michigan State has been my focus. Wondering... I have searched their website and I will check with the admissions office but does anyone know if Physics counts towards the 35 credits of Science Electives?

Question regarding pre-reqs. I have recently decided to add OSU to my application this year due to their awesome orthopedics department (my interest) so I am a little bit behind as Michigan State has been my focus. Wondering... I have searched their website and I will check with the admissions office but does anyone know if Physics counts towards the 35 credits of Science Electives?

Yes they will.

Physics counts as a science.

They also look at last 30 semester hours GPA as well as your "capstone grade" (biochem, microbio, animal phys, speech).

Unfortunately, the biggest predictor of acceptance is still undergrad GPA and science GPA (thankfully they've done away with their pre-req science GPA in favor of a cumulative science GPA).

I'm confused by this. Do you know how they look at the capstone courses? I know you need at least a C in each and a 3.0 overall in them, but they're not listed in the objective criteria, which are:
  • Overall GPA
  • Science GPA
  • Last 45 credit hour GPA
  • GRE or MCAT scores
I'm asking because my VMCAS GPA is good, but my capstone GPA is kinda sucky and I'm debating if I should retake biochem. A B+ and C+ in biochem are keeping my capstone GPA at 3.3, but if I retook biochem and got an A, I'd have a 4.0 for the capstone courses. But a B+ and C+ aren't *that* bad so I'd feel a little silly retaking.

Anyone have any insight?

I'm confused by this. Do you know how they look at the capstone courses? I know you need at least a C in each and a 3.0 overall in them, but they're not listed in the objective criteria, which are:
  • Overall GPA
  • Science GPA
  • GRE or MCAT scores
I'm asking because my VMCAS GPA is good, but my capstone GPA is kinda sucky and I'm debating if I should retake biochem. A B+ and C+ in biochem are keeping my capstone GPA at 3.3, but if I retook biochem and got an A, I'd have a 4.0 for the capstone courses. But a B+ and C+ aren't *that* bad so I'd feel a little silly retaking.

Anyone have any insight?

I don't think they look at that number specifically, but schools do look for achievement in high level science courses. I don't think retaking the capstone courses would do you much good to be honest. It is what it is and retaking it won't be in for this cycle anyway so :shrug:. As long as your science GPA isn't bad I think you'll be fine.

• Overall GPA
  • Science GPA
  • GRE or MCAT scores

Anyone have any insight?

They are just saying you must have a C or better in each course, an average of at least 3.0 in capstone courses, and no more than 1 "C" in all of the capstone courses in addition to the GPA's that they look (you have these in your post).

They are just saying you must have a C or better in each course, an average of at least 3.0 in capstone courses, and no more than 1 "C" in all of the capstone courses in addition to the GPA's that they look (you have these in your post).

Do you think it'd be smart to have them do one of the prerequisite evaluations that they offer? (Thank you for the comments on my PS btw, been studying for biochem so I haven't been able to revisit it quite yet!)

I don't think they look at that number specifically, but schools do look for achievement in high level science courses. I don't think retaking the capstone courses would do you much good to be honest. It is what it is and retaking it won't be in for this cycle anyway so :shrug:. As long as your science GPA isn't bad I think you'll be fine.

Yep, it is what it is exactly. I did have brief thoughts of trying to retake it this summer, but I don't think that would be reasonable or even helpful.

Ok, thanks! This is making me feel a lot better.

• Overall GPA
  • Science GPA
  • GRE or MCAT scores

Anyone have any insight?

It's a way for admissions to do a little gate keeping with applicants. If you don't meet the minimum grades/GPA on the capstones or you haven't taken those classes, you're not eligible to apply and your application will be denied before any objective evaluation is done. In that regards it's very important to have those classes and to at least meet the minimum requirements set up by the school but you don't need a 4.0.

Do you think it'd be smart to have them do one of the prerequisite evaluations that they offer? (Thank you for the comments on my PS btw, been studying for biochem so I haven't been able to revisit it quite yet!)

That is totally up to you, but it is really for the students that are unsure if their classes satisfy the school's admission requirements (i.e. if Criminal Behavior satisfies a humanities requirement).

It's a way for admissions to do a little gate keeping with applicants. If you don't meet the minimum grades/GPA on the capstones or you haven't taken those classes, you're not eligible to apply and your application will be denied before any objective evaluation is done. In that regards it's very important to have those classes and to at least meet the minimum requirements set up by the school but you don't need a 4.0.

Exactly.

That is totally up to you, but it is really for the students that are unsure if their classes satisfy the school's admission requirements (i.e. if Criminal Behavior satisfies a humanities requirement).

My main thing is whether or not one of my courses will satisfy their physiology requirement! Is it possible to get them to look at just one course? If you know!

My main thing is whether or not one of my courses will satisfy their physiology requirement! Is it possible to get them to look at just one course? If you know!

Yes. Last year they had anyone who took physiology outside of OSU submit information to have the course(s) evaluated. I haven't looked that closely this year, but I imagine the same is true. Also, it's quite possible that if you took a class at a school that someone else had evaluated last year, they might be able to tell you immediately if it works.

Yes. Last year they had anyone who took physiology outside of OSU submit information to have the course(s) evaluated. I haven't looked that closely this year, but I imagine the same is true. Also, it's quite possible that if you took a class at a school that someone else had evaluated last year, they might be able to tell you immediately if it works.
Also, my physiology course was one semester. It was multi-species A&P shoved into one semester, if that makes any sense. But they may not like that it was just one?

Sent from my SM-G935V using SDN mobile

I had this as well. I emailed them with the syllabus and waiting to hear back

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

On the subject of physiology, does anyone know off-hand of any online courses that work? I searched on here, but everything I found was from a long time ago or not OSU-specific.

On the subject of physiology, does anyone know off-hand of any online courses that work? I searched on here, but everything I found was from a long time ago or not OSU-specific.
It may be acceptable since lab is not required. That may be an instance where course evaluation would be a good idea.

Also, my physiology course was one semester. It was multi-species A&P shoved into one semester, if that makes any sense. But they may not like that it was just one?

Sent from my SM-G935V using SDN mobile

My animal systems phys course was 1 semester, 4 credit hours, and they took it. I just had to email admissions a copy of the syllabus, they sent it on to the appropriate course approval people, and then got back to me very quickly on whether it would be accepted or not.

My animal systems phys course was 1 semester, 4 credit hours, and they took it. I just had to email admissions a copy of the syllabus, they sent it on to the appropriate course approval people, and then got back to me very quickly on whether it would be accepted or not.

Thanks!! Will do!

I have question about the capstones. I will be taking microbiology next fall (senior year fall). I can still apply correct? As long as they see I am enrolled in the capstone course? Or do I have to have completed the 4 capstone courses before even applying?

Also on an unrelated note,

I am seeing in the applicant stats that some people have 1000s of hours, are these hours accumulated all BEFORE applying, or are you accumulating them during the time you are waiting to hear back about acceptance? I am worried because I will have about 500 hours of experience before applying, but have a equine externship for the school year (but will have already applied in sep.) basically trying to decide if I should simple wait a year before applying